• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 8,792 Views, 102 Comments

Maybe You're the One Who Needs Saving - Manes



Scootaloo finally gets to have a sleepover with her hero! But what happens when Rainbow Dash has a nightmare?

  • ...
19
 102
 8,792

Scootaloo's Flight (revised)

Author's Note:

The reason you see this in the updated stories section is because I added a couple things, minor so you won't even notice and took out a couple things as well.

After the trip to Twilight's house, Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo made their way back to the mansion and were now standing on a cloud outside the house.

Rainbow Dash stretched her wings. “Alright, Scootaloo. The first thing you do before flying is give your wings a good stretch.”

Scootaloo unfurled her wings and stretched them out to their full length until she heard a “pop” sound coming from her back. “Wow, I feel so much….” She tapped her chin with a hoof as she tried to find the right word . “Wonderful? Better?”

“Awesome.” Rainbow Dash said with a smirk. “Now after you give your wings a good stretching! I want you to step near the edge, BUT don’t do anything until I’m right beside you.”

Scootaloo did what she was told and stepped near the edge of the cloud. She looked down at the ground, seeing the ponies looking like ants down there made her nervous. “Rainbow, why are we so high up?”

“Well just in case you fall. This way, I’ll have enough time to catch you.” Stated Rainbow Dash, stepping up beside Scootaloo. She unfurled her wings to their full length and turned to Scootaloo. She could see Scootaloo sweating beneath that purple mane, and her hind legs quivered with fear. She was nervous this being her first time. Well Rainbow Dash was nervous about this too, but she had to show no weakness. “Ready?”

Scootaloo turned to Rainbow Dash and gave her a reassuring smile. She gulped before saying, “More than ever.”

“Alright, the first time. I’m going to fly with you then the second I’m going to stand here and wait a little, okay?” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Wait a—” Scootaloo was cut short as she slipped off the cloud. She spread her wings and began to flap until she felt her heart beginning to flutter in her chest. “Dash, I can’t fly! My wings aren’t working!” Tears began to fall from the filly’s eyes. “I’m so stupid! I can’t fly!”

“You are not stupid. You’re the bravest and smartest filly I know.” Rainbow Dash smiled. “You’re braver than me.” She gripped the weeping filly’s hoof. “You can do this.”

The words that came from her mentor’s mouth made the tears from her eyes dry and her heart pump from pure determination. “I can do this!” She flapped her wings even harder than before, feeling the adrenaline course through her veins. Suddenly the rushing of the wind went dead silent and her body felt like it was being lifted up. Was this what flying felt like? Scootaloo opened her eyes and looked down to see what she feared. Rainbow Dash was holding her with a hoof and flying for her.

Finally they landed back on the cloud. Scootaloo landed on the cloud and turned towards Dash with an pointing hoof. “You!” She shouted, tears leaking from her eyes. “You made me think I was really flying!” She pushed Dash, but not enough to make her fall down. “I thought you trusted me! Believed I could do it!”

“I couldn’t watch you die!” Rainbow Dash shouted back, making Scootaloo step back a little. “I can’t stop thinking about how I watched you die in my nightmare.” She sighed. “ I can’t.”

“But don’t you trust me?” Scootaloo asked, wiping away a tear from her cheeks. “You trust me right?”

Rainbow Dash stared at the filly waiting for an answer. She could see Scootaloo wasn’t ready to hear the truth. “Get near the edge and let’s try this again.”

A big smile formed on Scootaloo's face and her wings buzzed an excitement. “Really?”

Rainbow Dash nodded. “This time I won’t be with you, BUT I’m still going to be watching you.”


Scootaloo unfurled her wings to their full length. She stepped to the edge and exhaled, closing her eyes. She muttered something Rainbow Dash couldn’t hear before jumping off the cloud.

“Scoot—” Rainbow Dash stopped herself as she remembered what she said. She took a step back and tucked her wings back to her side. Don’t think about it. Don’t think about it. She repeated to herself as images from the nightmare began to hunt her.

Scootaloo, reach out to me! I’m not going to let you fall!

Rainbow Dash began to sweat, her heart raced inside her chest, and her hind legs began to shake. I don’t wanna lose you! That made Rainbow Dash snap. She ran to the edge and jumped off the cloud. She saw Scootaloo falling towards the ground with her wings opened. She soared down like a speeding bullet, reaching a hoof out to Scootaloo. “Grab my hoof!” Scootaloo didn’t turn her head, she just kept falling.

When the ground came close, Rainbow Dash closed her eyes shut and tried her last plea, filled with everything she had. “SCOOTALOO!” She didn’t hear the sound of Scootaloo’s body impacting with the ground, instead she heard a joyful cheer. She opened eyes and gasped at what she was witnessing.

Scootaloo was flying and a tear rolled down Dash's cheek as she smiled proudly seeing her little sister fly. Just like that, her fears vanished and was replaced with happiness.

Comments ( 7 )

i hope you make mor of this. :rainbowwild::scootangel:

4972274 well even if you dont i like it. its well made. also i REALY hope scoot might just go into rainbows dreams or something.

Talk about learning a new skill at the last possible minute.

6654235 Glad you enjoyed it.

I feel for Rainbow Night terrors are bucked up. They can haunt you for a long time.

Login or register to comment