• Published 13th Apr 2014
  • 7,142 Views, 43 Comments

End - zaleacon



In the midst of the end of the world, Twilight Sparkle is trapped in a cellar with nothing but an old computer-turned-journal to keep herself sane.

  • ...
8
 43
 7,142

End

March 19, 3 A.L.

Dear Journal,

I’m having a hard time thinking about what I should write. But looking back over it, I think that the beginning would be the best place.

It all started about two or three months ago. I can’t remember the exact date right now. I’ll try to when my mind stops freaking out like this.

Two or three months ago, ponies just started disappearing around Equestria. Not like “vanished and then returned” or “teleported.” They just… disappeared. Poof. At first, nopony noticed – why would we? Teleportation accidents were commonplace, if tragic – but that was only at first.

It began with just one. Then it was two. Then five. Then ten. Then fifty.

Soon hundreds of creatures – ponies, griffins, zebras, buffalo, diamond dogs, minotaurs, even dragons – were vanishing, but Equestria's such a large place that it never really made a huge impact at first. Most of these vanishings took place either in rural areas or in large cities where a single missing pony or two was never noticed. It wasn't until a full class of foals disappeared, along with their teacher, that everypony started to panic.

I’m writing this from a cellar, alone, where I hopefully won’t be found. This old computerized journal is all that I have to keep myself sane, but at least most of the keys seem to be working proplery properly. Scratch that. I can only hope that I make it out of this okay. Celestia knows that I just hope that I can.

Signed,
Princess Twilight Sparkle


March 20, 3 A.L.

Dear Journal,

The date might be wrong. I honestly have no way to tell the time except for an hourglass that magically changes itself every twenty-four hours. Even with that, there’s no way for me to tell whether or not the sun is rising or setting. Or even if it ever will again.

Anyway, I feel more optimistic today than I did yesterday. I’m sure that I can make it out of this mess as long as I wrack my brain. Unfortunately, I already feel like I’m running out of things to write down. I don’t want to talk about my past or anything like that unless I really start to go over the deep end. And I don't plan on going crazy just yet. As long as I can do something, anything, to keep myself occupied, I think that I'll be fine. I just have to remain optimistic and calm.

But I should be fine. I’m sure that I’ll be fine as long as I keep writing and keep trying to get myself out of this. I’m absolutely certain that this will go well.

Signed,
Princess Twilight Sparkle


March 21, 3 A.L.

Dear Journal,

I’ve decided to compile the information that I have regarding the vanishings for future reference:

1. They started out small. Whatever is causing ponies to disappear is doing it exponentially.

2. It’s not Discord. I questioned him at length about two days before Princess Celestia sent me down here. He knew absolutely nothing. Discord vanished the day before I was sent here right in front of my eyes.

3. It affects everypony. Like I said before, nothing seems to deter it; just about everypony in Equestria has proven himself or herself susceptible to whatever is causing them to disappear.

4. There are no warning signs. Nopony showed any sign of being any different before vanishing. This includes illnesses, physical deformities, or even genetic differences (one creature had visited a doctor the day of his vanishing, and disappeared while speaking to said doctor).

So given all that information, it’s easy to come to the conclusion that whatever is causing ponies to disappear is not a virus or illness; if it is, it must be a remarkably fast-acting one. But given that it’s not Discord and had no other magical signs, I must remain open-minded.

Signed,
Princess Twilight Sparkle


March ??, 3 A.L

Dear Journal,

The hourglass tipped over while I was sleeping and fell off the table. I was able to put the shards over in the corner, but I have no idea what day it is. For all I know, it’s the same day as when I made my last entry.

I’m tempted to look out that closed door, but Princess Celestia told me not to. I can’t risk disappearing, not when Equestria needs a ruler. I really wish this thing's backspace and delete keys worked.

I’m absolutely sure that Celestia Princess Celestia is fine. I know that she can make it. I know it. She’s completely fine. I hope.

Signed,
Prinecss Princess Twilight Sparkle

P.S.: When this whole thing is settled, I’m going to make sure that I can find myself a computer that works the right way.


??? ??, 3 A.L.

Dear Journal,

The date is a complete guess at this point; I don’t even know how long I’ve been sleeping. I still have plenty of supplies to last out a month or two. I might start basing the date on how much I eat.

I accidentally stepped on a shard of glass earlier. It turns out that I didn’t clean them all up properly. Luckily, Princess Celestia was kind enough to include fifty yards of bandages along with my food, so I was able to wrap it up and clean it out with some water from the old sink in the corner.

I swept the floor again and tossed the glass into the corner. I think I’ll use the can from last night’s meal to hold them all. Too bad I can’t dispose of them properly. If I could just go outside, I wouldn't have to worry about getting hurt, but I can't.

I don't even know what it looks like out there anymore.

Singed Signed,
Princess Twilight Sparkle


??? ??, 3 A.L.

Dear Journal,

It's so dark down here, and quiet. It's getting extremely unnerving, and I can't help but worry that I'm going to go crazy without anything around me. I've started talking to myself just so I can convince myself that I can talk and hear what's going on around me. I literally live in a box. A dark, black, empty, silent box with no way out, and nopony to talk to. The only lights come from my horn and this old computer, and I have no idea how long this thing is going to last. It's getting harder and harder to suppress my urge to open that door, if only so that I can get some color in here. My fear of the outside world is all that's keeping me from going out. What if I'm all alone in the entire world?

I'm starting to wonder, though: why would Princess Celestia have me placed down here? If this thing can take anypony without warning, how would being underground help me at all? Was it just a guess? Just typing that's making my skin crawl. What if I just disappear in the middle of the night? My stomach's churning just thinking about it, and I can feel my heart racing in my chest. Maybe I should go and lay down for a few minutes and try to relax.

Signed,
Princess Twilight Sparkle


??? ??, 3 A.L.

Dear Journal,

The urge to oepn open that door is even stronger today than it was… however many days ago it was that I was thrown in here. Maybe there's a life out there that I can live. I swear, my eyes have adjusted to the darkness so well that the sun would just burn them out. Maybe I should just stay down here if when this whole thing is cleared up. I’ll just invite my friends over and

No, I won’t be inviting my friends over anymore. I don’t think I can continue this entry any longer for today this current time period. I’ll try to write later when I feel like it.

Signed,
Princess Twilight Sparkle


??? ??, 3 A.L.

Dear Journal,

I think I actually got all the glass this time. No more cutting myself wide open anymore. Not that I did that the first time. My days have pretty much boiled down to a single, rudimentary schedule of eating and sleeping, and I have to do something to keep myself from going insane down here. But I've been thinking of all these weird questions for the past few days

So I honestly can’t say what day it is, or even what month it is. I want to check outside, but I’m scared of what I’ll find. What happens if the sun's gone out? I should just stay down here forever for awhile. Until Princess Celestia or Princess Luna or Discord or Spike or my friends or Shiny or Cadance come comes to save me.

Never mind. I suddenly don’t want to write any more again. I honestly feel sick. Maybe I’ll try again when I feel better.

Signed,
Princess Twilight Sparkel Sparkle


???-??,3-A.L.

Dear-Journal,

The-stupid-spacebar-stopped-working.I-have-to-use-these-hyphens-so-that-I-can-read-what-I’m-writing.I’ll-have-to-see-about-fixing-it-soon-if-I-can.

Anyway,I-was-going-to-write-about-what-happened-to-me-today,but-it-isn’t-really-any-different-than-any-other-day.I-found-some-pieces-of-glass-again,cut-my-hoof-a-bit,and-stitched-it-up.It-hurts-really-badly,but-I-don’t-care.Just-have-to-keep-pushing-on.

At-least-like-this-I’m-not-making-any-grammar-or-spelling-mistakes.It-hurts-to-type-all-of-this-out,but-I-can-manage-it.

There’s-really-not-much-left-for-me-to-say,just-that-I-hope-I’ll-live-to-see-tomorrow.And-the-day-after-that.

Signed,
Princess-Twilight-Sparkle


???-??;?-A:L:

Dear-Journal;

This-stupid-computer's-falling-apart:The-periods-and-commas-have-completely-stopped-functioning-so-I-have-to-use-colons-and-semicolons-instead:I-don’t-even-know-the-year-anymore:It-could-have-been-centuries-for-all-I-know:I-am-immortal;after-all:But-will-I-survive-this-weird-thing?

I’m-honestly-terrified:Nothing’s-happened-yet;but-that-just-makes-it-worse:I-wake-up-every-day-now-to-learn-that-I’m-still-breathing;only-to-just-go-back-to-sleep:This-is-probably-the-first-entry-I’ve-written-in-months:Maybe-years:

I-don’t-know-anymore:All-I-know-is-I-have-to-survive:I-have-to-keep-going:I-might-be-the-last-creature-in-the-whole-world;but-I-have-to-live-on:I-have-to-survive:I-must-survive:For-Equestria:

When-Celestia-comes-to-get-me-When-I-can-free-myself-from-this-place---no-matter-how-long-it-takes---I-will-do-everything-in-my-power-to-protect-Equestria:I-just-have-to-survive-to-see-tomorrow:

Signed;
Princess-twilight-sparkle

p:s::the-shift-key-broke-too;i-guess:this-computer's-literally-falling-apart-on-me:i-just-hope-it-works-long-enough-to-get-me-through-this:without-it;i'll-probably-go-completely-insane:::


???-??;?-??

dear-journal;

i-need-to-keep-myself-sane:i-can-feel-myself-going-crazy-in-here:it’s-too-quiet-and-lifeless:there’s-no-joy-or-happiness:

i-miss-pinkie-pie:i-miss-rarity;and-applejack;and-fluttershy;and-rainbow-dash;and-spike;and-everypony:i-just-want-to-see-them-again:i-just-want-to-live-again:but-i-can’t:i-don’t-know-why-i-even-continue-living;but-i-do:i-have-to:if-i-don’t;then-who-will-revive-equestria?

i-have-to-keep-going:i’m-sad:i’m-lonely;and-depressed;and-possibly-suicidal;but-i-have-to-keep-going:i-have-to-keep-moving-forward:i-ha

Comments ( 43 )

keep-moving-forward.I-ha

Well, if that ain't the most creepy, disconcerting way to end a story, I dunno what is.
Man, you done good here. It's not quite a full descent into madness yet, but the way it leaves off, I certainly seems like she's on the way out.

Nice touches with the strikes and hyphens. Adds to the creepy factor. Now I just have to wonder what happened.
Good read. Have a thumb :twilightsmile:

Sci

I like how you ended it, halfway through a sentence, indicating she disappeared too leaving an empty world behind.

April 13th, 2014
Apparently I'm following this author, no idea who he is honestly, might be losing it... found his story in my feed... I gave his story a read.

It was a good read... kinda depressing though, like most post apocalyptic tales I suppose, but good nonetheless.

Will give this mystery authors other story a read, Gilgamesh was a bro, can't be too bad if he's in it.

Signed,
Pyro The Faithful Reader

wow..... :trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright::trixieshiftleft:...........:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

TAKE THEM ALL!

:rainbowderp::pinkiecrazy::twilightoops:

Creepy story is creepy...but well executed! :moustache:

Fall Of An Empire - Omega

Faved. Just because of the ending.

This needs the best cover art to match the splendorous writing that is this story. Beautiful ending. Bravo.

A well-deserved like and favorite

Soo....................is there at least an idea of what was making them disappear? Best theory I've got is that the Producers decided to scrap the show and that caused them to fade into nothing, well most parts of the show anyways.

4225289
4225307
4225357
4225409
4225493
4227105
4227372
4227528

Wow… thank you all so much for this! I honestly was not expecting there to be so much positivity over a story I literally wrote on a whim and a want to create something unnerving. I'm glad you all enjoyed it, and thank you all for the support!

4227528
If you want my honest opinion, even I don't know exactly why the creatures are all disappearing. Part of my enjoyment in writing this was the ambiguity of the ending and scenario, so there is no set reason for why they have all vanished. Or even if they've vanished at all...

4233433 Huh. I suppose that does build up quite the suspense doesn't it? I suppose, also, that we'll have to stick with reasons inside our own heads, might even be more fun that anyways. :pinkiehappy:

I don't care if this was written in an hour, I want more.

Well deserved.

*No guarantees, as this group gets plenty of recommendations, but it's worth a shot! I hope you hit pay-dirt!* :twilightsmile:

4236410
Thank you again for putting in the time to recommend this story!

Awsome story, its fun imagining what is going to happen next

Oh wait did the sudden stop mean that Twilight disappeared too?

4238105

You're quite welcome! I am happy to do it! :twilightsheepish:

Is Twilight gone? Can you please please please please please please please please please please please please please please make a sequel or continuation?

4265467
A small part of me wants to write more of this -- or, at the very least, more short stories like this one -- but I don't think it would really work with the overall story. The point of the ending is to be ambiguous, so that anyone reading it will come up with their own ending. Did Twilight disappear? Did the journal just break down after so long? Was it all just an elaborate prank by Celestia that will no doubt cost thousands of bits in therapy bills? Who can say? Like I said, I don't think I can continue this story without destroying that ambiguity and suspense that the end creates. So I'm sorry, but I doubt that I'll be writing a continuation or a sequel any time soon, if ever.

A few things about this bothered me (since when is "a journal" a device with a screen and a keyboard? I've never seen anything like that in Equstria, they use books) and the description of the disappearances not being noticed until very late rang wrong to me. A pattern of disappearances is going to get noticed fairly quickly by the authorities, at least, even if the general public doesn't realize what's going on right away.

On the other hand, those are small quibbles, and the mood of this is excellent. The slow decay of the keyboard running parallel to the decay of Twilight's mind can probably buy you a pass for the out of place technology (I just don't get why she calls it an old journal. Old journals in particular are books...)

And the ambiguous ending is way more scary than anything you could have said. It lets the reader come up with all kinds of scary possibilities. (My best/worst theory: Twilight herself was causing the disappearances, and the bit where she says Celestia has locked her in is the actual truth and not a delusion. The parts where she claims it's for her safety are the delusions.)

4274411
I looked back over it, and changed a couple of words around to make more sense with the "journal." I honestly see it as more of an old computer which only has a typing interface and some basic functions (the strike-throughs, for example). The big question is "Why is there a computer in what is basically a dungeon?" Then again, it's likely that Twilight wasn't the first pony to go down there, and given that computers have been seen on the show before...

But wow, thank you for commenting, and for the positive feedback! I really appreciate it, and I'm glad that you enjoyed the story in spite of its flaws!

4277774
That's not to say that I won't be working in this universe again, of course. Who knows? If I get some good ideas, I may come back to write more stories like this one in the future. We'll just have to wait and see.

Fucking beautiful. You get a like and favourite from me.

Not bad.

Not the most original thing I've ever read (pardon me for being so blunt), but entertaining nonetheless. That, and I adore dark stuff... :trixieshiftright:

Have a like and fave! :raritywink:

Much improved. Have a ribbon:
i.imgur.com/6MrWqNZ.png

4415482
Thank you! I'm glad I was able to make it more enjoyable, and thank you again for your original advice!

4415611
You're very welcome

Hope the continuations shed some light on what is happening.

This was rather good.

So Twi just vanishes while she is typing... that's dark... :trixieshiftright:
Still a good read though :twilightsmile:

HI there. I hope you don't mind, but I liked this fic so much I've put together an audio version on YouTube:

5737387
Holy crap, thank you so much for this! I apologize if I'm about to go into a bit of a rant here, but seriously, this reading is absolutely incredible. When I first wrote this story, I never thought it'd get something like this. Hell, I wrote it just because I was having trouble motivating myself to work on my only other project at the time, and I needed something spontaneous. (When I wrote it, I had only a vague idea of the story planned out, but I already knew I wanted to use that ending.)

But this… seriously, I'm not sure what I can really say beyond thanking you profusely. The amount of work and effort that went into making this reading is positively amazing. I'm very proud with how far this story has gone, even if it was something so simple originally, and I'm extremely thankful to you and everyone else who worked on this reading. Seriously, you're incredible.

listened to scribbler's reading and... phew. boy howdy. Grim, yet i can still like it, aside from the fact that it means celestia made twilight go through all that stress to protect her, when it did nothing in the end and twilight could've been spending her final days with her friends and family.

Still liked this though, and looking forward to when scribbler releases her readings of the other two parts.

Forcing myself not to read them to avoid spoilers

5740692

You're very welcome. I had a lot of fun reading it. ;)

Hey, I wrote a review for the three fics in this continuity. In case you are interested, they can be found here.

I just like it. Great job :rainbowdetermined2:

This song by myuu sums this story up perfectly

Imagine if it was just a bad dream, and "disappearing" was just waking up.

Am I the only one who thought that she that both the computer breaking and her disappearing are possable

Will we ever know where they go to?

Login or register to comment