• Published 13th Apr 2014
  • 713 Views, 15 Comments

Mood Swings - Swimmingly



Pinkie has been having troubles dealing with her sad side, and her regular happy side is starting to frighten her friends. She can't stand her own actions and seeks help, hoping things can go back to the way they were.

  • ...
3
 15
 713

Day 2: Depression

Her journey to sleep was harder than yesterday.

Instead of inability to think straight, she could think nothing but of her own shortcomings, mistakes and failures. The end result was a feeling of worthlessness, so great she thought even her best friends hated her company and wanted nothing to do with her.

She knew that it couldn't be, that every pony loved her, her mission in life was to make sure every pony was happy. But she felt that there was no one to make her happy. She realised the only one who she could be happy with was herself. She stayed up, partly because she couldn't get to sleep but mostly because the only time she was free from the judgement of the other ponies was shorn she was alone.

So she stayed up not doing particularly anything, except enjoying the isolation.

But eventually her eyelids betrayed snd she fell into unconsciousness.


She woke up very tired. She had had to wake up earlier so she could work at the bakery. Not bothering to check her reflection, she traipsed down the stairs. She was greeted by mr cake.
"Good morning Pinkie, did ya enjoy your weekend"
"Oh hi Mr. Cake, y-yeah my weekend was super fantasterific" she glumly replied adding a shaky smile for authenticity.
"Pinkie is something the matter?" The stallion moved closer to the pink mare "it's just your mane isn't as fluffy as it usually is and you usually are in the kitchen before I am" Mr. Cake asked with genuine concern.

What pinkie heard was "your mane is wrong, you're wrong, you should've been working three hours ago, now get go work."
Pinkie in her already saddened state was completely surprised by this and didn't know how to react.

So she broke down crying.

"Pinkie what's the matter, why are you crying" the older stallion asked.

"Why did you say that, I sh-should already b-be working, I'm always working early, it's the one d-day I don't and you yell at me for it" pinkie was inconsolable.

"I didn't mean to hurt your feelings Pinkie, you know I think of you like my own daughter" mr cake softly said.

"It's okay Mr. Cake" Pinkie had visibly calmed down.
"Do you think you're okay to work today Pinkie, it's understandable if you don't though" mr cake asked.

"Yeah I'll work today" Pinkie replied.


Pinkie thought that working would be a good distraction from her sadness. But every tiny mistake she made, caused her to feel worse.

After her day was done. She headed straight to bed. She didn't want to sleep, she just wanted the isolation.




6 MONTHS LATER

Pinkie had continued to feel progressively worse, in the beginning her friends had always been there for her, but as she continually showed no signs of improvement, they grew distant. Not avoiding her, but still spending less and less time with her. This made her feel even worse.

Each day was exactly the same, long and painful.

But she was too strong to give up.