• Published 26th May 2014
  • 1,936 Views, 55 Comments

Forgotten - Unbridled Dolly



I worked my whole life to stop this from happening. Yet here I am, hidden in the shadows, rain mingling with the tears running down my face. And I'm helpless to stop it.

  • ...
6
 55
 1,936

Forgotten

I worked my whole life to stop this from happening. Yet here I am, hidden in the dark shadows of a back alley. Pretty ironic, how the one thing I feared was the one thing I got. I'm not scared of it anymore; I grew numb to that fear a while ago. I do wish still, though. I wish I could fly. That would fix a lot of my problems. Too bad wishing doesn't do anything. I figured that out pretty quickly. I wish and hope and dream, yet my wings remain withered, the bones cracked, the feathers molting. If only I could fly. If I could, I would go up and up and up. I would escape the pain and sadness of the streets, and start a new life and build a new home. It isn't very difficult to make a cloud house... I guess knowing that it doesn't help doesn't stop me from fantasizing. It doesn't stop the slap in the face I get, either, when I blink myself back to reality and see my poor wings, grey mane, and dulled coat.

***

I worked my whole life to stop this from happening. Yet here I am, rain mingling with the tears running down my face. Is it normal that I should know which drops of water are rain, and which are my tears? Probably. After all, my tears are warm and salty, and they burn tracks down my grimy coat, and the rain is cool, and washes everything away. My eyes burn, but I don't care. Anypony could see me, but I don't care. I lost my egotistical pride a long time ago.

***

I worked my whole life to stop this from happening. Yet here I am, regret clawing at my heart and constricting my throat, shame ringing in my ears, and anger boiling in my veins. I have accomplished so much, yet the bad outweighs the good. I can't deny what I did, or what happened to me. Some my own fault, some the fault of others. I've been broken, both in pride and spirit, but I can't do anything about it. I learned that a long time ago.

***

I worked my whole life for this not to happen. Yet here I am, all alone.

Forgotten.

Author's Note:

If you found anything wrong with this story, please tell me through a comment or PM.