• Published 12th Apr 2014
  • 7,484 Views, 470 Comments

Equestria Girls: The Looking Glass World of Cheese and Pie - scoots2



COMPLETE. Pinkie Pie gets her chance to run the Canterlot Cake Festival, but she’s not allowed to run it alone. She’s forced to take an assistant, an accordion-playing geeky new student, who is both very familiar and very strange.

  • ...
21
 470
 7,484

Dash, Flash, and Dust

Cheese laced his fingers through his curly brown hair, held his head in his hands, and groaned. “I cannot believe that we’ve only got one band auditioning.”

The CHS gym was set up for auditions for the Cake Festival. Pinkie and Cheese sat at a collapsible table at one end, just beyond the basketball hoop. In front of Pinkie lay a schedule with open slots for different acts, a bag of cinnamon rolls, and a large strawberry smoothie. A list of hopeful auditioners was just to Cheese’s left.

“I know, right?” replied Pinkie, her voice shooting up with aggravation and spreading her arms wide. “I mean, we announced auditions on Monday! It’s been five whole days. You’d think there would be at least eight bands by now!”

“At least that,” agreed Cheese.

Pinkie rolled her eyes. “I mean how hard is it to get four or five of your closest friends together and learn a bunch of instruments you’ve never even seen before? I do it all the time! Aw, cheer up, Cheesie,” she added, as he covered his face with his hands. “Even if there’s only one band, I’m sure they’ll be super-T terrific! Gimme the list.”

Cheese handed her the list in silence.

“Okie-dokie,” murmured Pinkie, scanning the list. “Mm-hm, mm-hm, mm-hm . . . ‘Flash In The Pan?’ Is that the same band as Flash Drive?” Cheese nodded. “Oh. Well. They’re . . . nice.” Pinkie’s lapse into Fluttershy-ese wasn’t a good sign.

“I’ve heard them every day in the band room when I went to get my accordion. They sound ok. Flash plays all right. It’s . . .”

“The songs,” said Pinkie. “Welp, we’re about ready now, so let ‘em all in. Now, what’s this gonna be?”

“The Best Cake Festival Ever!” they cheered, streamers exploding around them.

Pinkie pulled out a set of pink and purple markers and a stack of looseleaf for making notes, while Cheese opened up the doors on the far end. A long line of prospects poured in, and Cheese directed them to sit on the bleachers until their names were called. Most were wearing their ordinary clothes, although some were wearing matching sweaters, the Great and Powerful Trixie had put on a starry purple cape, and two boys carried top hats.

Cheese sprinted back to the table. “There’s a lot more of them than there are on the list,” he said, tossing her a rubber ball that had shot from his sleeve.

“That’s weird,” Pinkie replied, frowning, tossing it back to him, along with two more balls. Cheese caught them and added two more. “Guess they’re just curious and want to watch the acts or something,” she said, sending the balls into a circling pattern.

Cheese shrugged. “Yeah, search me,” he said, as the balls rolled back up his sleeve. “You ready? I’ll call the first act. Snips and Snails?” he called over to the bleachers. “You’re on first.”

A pudgy, short boy with an overbite and a green-haired boy with a zip-up jacket set up a small magician’s stand and put on their top hats. Up in the bleachers, the Great and Powerful Trixie turned a bright beet red. If it had been possible, steam would have been boiling out of her ears.

“Uh, watch and be amazed,” began Snips.

“At the magic of the Great and Powerful . . . ” Snails drawled.

“No, stupid,” hissed Snips. “ ‘The amazing acts. . .’ ” he prompted.

“Ohhhh, yeah. The amazing acts of Snips and Snails the Amazing!”

They swept off their hats and tried to perform a bow together, but Snails kept delaying, and was only halfway down when Snips was already almost back up. After seesawing for a moment or two, they gave up and started the act.

It didn’t go well. The silk scarves were tied in a knot at the bottom of Snails’ pants pocket, so that he gave himself a wedgie; they dropped the deck of cards; and they managed to cuff themselves together at the wrists with their own linking circles. Finally, they knocked over the magician’s stand, and announced, still attached to each other, “Ta-da!”

Pinkie and Cheese exchanged glances, but Pinkie only said, “Wow, yeah, thanks, guys. We’ll let you know.”

“Trix—I mean, The Great and Powerful Trixie?” called Cheese, and looked back down at his clipboard.

Trixie swept down from the bleachers in a high state of snit. She set up her stand, and announced, “Behold for yourselves in person the amazing, awe-inspiring magic of The Great and Powerful Trixie!”

In less than a minute, it became obvious that Snips and Snails had stolen their entire act, such as it was, from Trixie. It was also obvious that Trixie was much better than competent. She was really very good. Her rope tricks were flawless, and although she’d clearly produced her bunches of flowers and scarves from somewhere, it wasn’t at all obvious where she’d had them hidden. She even plucked a tiny blue unicorn doll from behind the ear of a girl sitting in the front row. Finally, she whirled around with a snap of her cape. “Who is so ignorant as to challenge the magical ability of the Great and Powerful Trixie?”

There was a spontaneous smattering of applause from the benches and even from Pinkie Pie. Even those who didn’t like Trixie had to acknowledge that she’d faced down a public insult, risen above it, and given a fine performance. She smirked.

“Before she leaves her awestruck audience, the Great and Powerful Trixie has one final amazing feat to perform!”

She waved her arms dramatically, focusing on the ground a foot or two in front of her. There was a tiny explosion. Someone in the bleachers gasped in alarm. The smoke cleared, revealing a coughing Trixie, flyash coating her face and hat.

“We’ll let you know!” Pinkie sang out. Trixie snatched her equipment, glaring furiously at Cheese. He returned her glare with a weak, hapless grin, and shrugged. The magician left the improvised stage with an outraged sniff.

Pinkie and Cheese worked through each act in its turn. The group in matching sweaters turned out to be Rarity, Applejack’s brother, another boy and a girl in an acapella quartet. Pinkie wrote them in on her schedule for the main stage in a prime afternoon slot. Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo brought in Apple Bloom’s dog Winona and Rarity’s cat Opalescence for a pet dancing act. Pinkie and Cheese had to call for a break while antibiotic cream was applied and Rarity swept out the door with a still murderous Opal. Still, most of the students sitting in the bleachers evidently weren’t planning to audition, and those who had already auditioned didn’t leave. They seemed to be waiting for something.

A blue-haired boy carrying an electric guitar stepped forward with three other students. “Um, hi. We’re Flash in the Pan.”

“Yes!” said Cheese, with a grin that looked as though it had been pinned to his face. “So I’ve heard.”

“We’ve pulled together a set we think you’ll really like.”

“Swing? Jazz? Pop? Metal? Electronica?” Pinkie asked, grabbing a cinnamon bun and tossing one to Cheese.

“Well, I don’t know what category you’d put it in,” mused Flash, “but it’s all original material. I wrote all of it.”

Pinkie and Cheese froze, their teeth mid-chomp through their cinnamon rolls and their eyes bugging out. Before they could even swallow, Flash’s band swung into the first number. It was a melancholy little piece about how staring at the ceiling revealed all your inner thoughts, and the musical line circled like a bug around a porch light, without ever becoming any kind of recognizable tune.

The song dragged on, and on, and on. The gym doors to the outside were pulled open, and in filed Rainbow Dash, Soarin, and the rest of the CHS soccer team, bedraggled and covered in mud. They all kept their eyes on the floor, except for Rainbow Dash, who was livid, and Soarin, who frankly looked scared.

Pinkie gasped and grabbed Cheese’s sleeve. “The soccer match!” she hissed.

“Huh?”

“Today’s one of Dashie’s soccer matches, remember?” cried Pinkie, shaking him by the shoulders, as Flash in the Pan continued their interminable number. “It was the one against Griffon Central—the one she was worried about. It was a home game, and all of those students were sitting in here and not out there cheering for her! And I wasn’t out there cheering for her!”

Dash’s voice carried over the meebling strains of “Bedroom Spackling Project.” “I told you we didn’t practice the new defense formations enough!” she snarled at Soarin. “You let two goals get right by you! Griffon Central made us look like—like dweebs! I hate losing,” she muttered.

“See?” squeaked Pinkie, shaking Cheese some more, until his teeth rattled. “And Dashie’ll go to pieces, and she won’t get an athletic scholarship, and she’ll have to get a job calling people and trying to sell them timeshares, and she’ll get mad at them, and she’ll be fired, and her life will be over, and it’ll be all my fault!”

No one actually saw Cheese take the accordion out of its case. It was just there between his hands as he leapt onto the table. Flash Sentry stopped singing for a moment, taken by surprise. And then, in desperation, Cheese began playing “Save Them Whales” as a polka.

Oh, save them whales,
They don’t wear no white tie and tails;
Our flyer will tell you all that it entails.
We’ve got puffins and walruses on our tie-in Tshirt sales.

Flash’s original song ran an ear-numbing fifteen minutes. Cheese played it at warp speed, performed a mercy-killing on it at a minute and a half, and modulated upwards in a demonic chromatic run.

Oh, Purple Smart
You fried a hole in my heart
Oh, Purple Smart
Even though we’re far apart
You’re probably gone forever
And nobody understands
You’re nerdy and cute and clever
You act like you’ve never seen hands

—sang Cheese, his fingers flying into another frenetic upward modulation. Everyone in the gym began to clap along with the music.

I got feelings
And feelings about my feelings
And feelings about my feelings about my feelings,
I do!
I got feelings
And feelings about my feelings
And I’m manly enough to express them,
It’s true!
I got feelings ‘bout life and stuff
Nature and peace and the world and stuff
Love and girls and that kind of stuff
I write it all down in words and stuff
I got feelings
And feelings about my feelings
And feelings about my feelings about my feelings,
I do!
HEY!

He ended with a sudden sting, and the entire gym broke out into applause. Cheese had his arms flung wide and his eyes closed, as if he were surfing down a wave of laughter under perfect conditions. Then, as the applause died away, everyone looked towards Flash Sentry, as they slowly realized that they’d been laughing at Flash’s songs. Flash simply stood there, and then burst out laughing himself.

“Ok,” he said. “Point taken. I think maybe we can change up our list.” Behind him, all of the other band members exhaled with relief, and the group on the bleachers applauded again.

Flash in the Pan was the last of the auditioning acts, and as they packed up and began to leave, Pinkie raced down the length of the gym towards a laughing Rainbow Dash. “Dashie!” she cried. “How did it go?”

“Oh, we got hosed,” she said cheerfully, as Cheese ambled up. “We totally stunk on ice, and Griffon Central killed us out there, but I don’t feel as bad about it now. Which doesn’t mean you slackers can slack off,” she added, whirling around to the rest of her team. “You gave it your best,” she said in a softer tone. “You’re all kinds of awesome. But next time, let’s be awesome winners, ok? Now hit the showers, you guys.”

As the rest of the team headed off, Soarin remained, coughing apologetically. “I did let two goals get right by me. You’re right, Dash. I stink on ice.”

“Aw, shuddup, Soarin,” said Dash, slapping him on the back. “I’m done yelling at you for today. Don’t hang around, or I might change my mind.” Soarin followed the rest of the boys towards their locker room. “White tie and tails,” she added, chuckling. “I’ve never heard that song sound so good.” She sprinted off for the showers.

Pinkie sat down at the table, pulled a pen from the depths of her curly pink hair, and tapped it thoughtfully against her cheek. “Decisions, decisions,” she said.

“We don’t have lots of choices,” Cheese pointed out. “That’s some decisions made for us right there.”

“OK,” said Pinkie, planting her blue and pink boots on the table and leaning back in her chair until it teetered dangerously. “Could you write this down, Cheesie? Snips and Snails—they’re a no.”

“Definitely a no,” Cheese said, drawing a strong line through their names.

“Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo—they’re a no, too. I hate saying no to them,” she added, her mouth curving down.

“You’ll think of something for them to do, Pinkie. I think that’s all they really want, anyway.”

“The Wondertones, because kapow! Wowie! Amazing!” said Pinkie, her arms describing a huge arc, and almost overbalancing.

“Totally amazing!” Cheese agreed enthusiastically.

“Flash in the Pan, because we sorta kinda have to,” continued Pinkie, “and Trixie.”

Cheese looked up from his writing. “Do you want to call Trixie, or do you want me to do it?”

“I’ll do it,” Pinkie said quickly. She picked up her phone, glanced at Trixie’s number, and dialed. “Hiya, Trixie! It’s Pinkie Pie. You’re in! I thought maybe you could perform on the small stage at 11 am.” Cheese could hear the shrill buzz of Trixie’s answer from several feet away. “Nope, doesn’t make sense to put your magic act on the big stage. — What do you mean, 2 pm on the big stage? We’ve got the Wondertones in that slot, anyway. — Small stage. — Small stage.— Big stage. — Big stage. — Listen, Trixie,” she shrieked into the phone, “you’re going on the big stage at 2 pm with full musical backup, and you’ll like it!” The shrill buzz became even shriller, and went on for some time. “Okey-dokey-lokey!” Pinkie chirped. “If you insist! Small stage at 11 am it is!”

Pinkie hung up and turned to Cheese. “The Great and Powerful Trixie’s on the small stage at 11 am. Hey there!” she added, waving at a girl who had just entered from the outside doors at the far end of the gym. She sprang over the table and cartwheeled up to the stranger. “I’m Pinkie Pie, and that’s Cheese Sandwich, and I don’t remember seeing you before. Do I know you? No, silly me, ‘cause I wouldn’t be asking that if I did know you, would I?”

The girl leaned against the back wall, radiating total disinterest. Even at rest, with her long legs and arms crossed, she was obviously an athlete. Her light green tracksuit had the letters “CP” embroidered on the front. “I’m just waiting for Rainbow Dash,” she replied, ignoring Pinkie’s questions. “Is she still here?”

“Uh, yeah,” said Pinkie. “Dashie’s still here. Can we help?”

“Oh, probably not,” said the strange girl, shaking her head so that her spiky, bright blond hair quivered, “but thanks anyhow. Nice gym, though, considering.”

Rainbow Dash came out of the girl’s locker room, her multichromatic hair still wet. She stopped short as soon as she saw the newcomer, and then her shoulders sagged. “Oh, man,” she said. “Were you out there for that trainwreck, Dusty?”

“Uh-huh,” said the girl Dash had addressed as “Dusty.” She walked up to Rainbow Dash and bumped fists with her. “And you were kicking it like nobody’s business. You’ve still got it.”

Rainbow Dash beamed. “Pinkie, this is Lightening Dust. We were on the same team for a while. She’s almost as good as me.”

“Yeah, it’s too bad you didn’t have the right kind of backup,” said Lightning Dust, “but it’s not your fault. It’s not as though you’re in an elite program anymore.”

“It’s good enough,” snapped Rainbow Dash, unconsciously clenching and unclenching her fists.

Lightning Dust stepped back, holding up both hands. “Whoa, whoa, whoa! That was a compliment! You’ve done some amazing things at CHS. You must be a great captain.”

“Yeah, well,” said Dash, scuffing the floor with her shoe, “I’ve got a great team. They’re all kinds of awesome. And winning isn’t everything.”

Lightning Dust tilted her head skeptically. “Really? That doesn’t sound like the Rainbow Dash I know.”

“It posilutely doesn’t!” exclaimed Pinkie. “Because usually she’s all grumpy and sourpuss when she loses, like, ANYTHING, so I’m always up in the stands screaming, ‘cause she does better when I scream at her, don’t you, Dashie? GO RAINBOW DASH!” she shrieked, exploding upwards in a shower of pink sparkles. “Like that,” she explained to Lightning Dust, hanging from the ceiling frame by one arm, and then dropping back to the floor. “But I wasn’t there today, and that was totally my fault because of the auditions, so please forgive me, ok, Dashie?” She turned to Lightning Dust. “She never loses when I scream at her,” she said, with total confidence.

“Impressive,” said Lightning Dust. “Are you the head of the cheerleading squad?”

“Nope! I couldn’t decide what club to be in, so I just make them all happy. I cheer on Dashie because we’re friends.”

Lightning Dust snorted with amusement. “You’re a stable goat.”

“A whoomina what now?” said Pinkie.

“My Dad has racehorses,” said Lightning Dust. “He says the fastest Thoroughbreds are really high-strung, so they put a goat in with them for company. Some people even have the goat walk with the horse right out to the starting post. Keeps the horse happy. I like the gym, too. Is this new?” she said, gazing around.

“Only a couple of years old,” bragged Dash. “Brand new when I got there. They probably remodeled it just for me.”

“We miss you at Cloudsdale Prep,” said Lightning Dust. “I miss you. Best competitor ever. I swear I’m going soft without you keeping me on my toes.”

“Ever hear of a personal best?” said Dash. “Eh, Cloudsdale Prep. It wasn’t for me. Or I wasn’t for it. Anyway, I’m happier here. I have lots of friends. If there’s anyone I miss, it’s probably you.”

“You’re not going to have to,” said Lightning Dust. “I’ll probably be seeing a lot more of you. I hear you’re coaching for Little League this year—the Canterlot Comets. Guess who’s coaching for Cloudsdale?”

“Awesome! No, that’ll be great,” exclaimed Dash. “You oughta see the team I’m putting together. Talented little bruisers, like we used to be. And fair warning—they’re gonna clean Cloudsdale’s clock. But, y’know,” she added self-consciously. “Winning isn’t everything.”

“No,” agreed Lightning Dust. “It’s the only thing. Lunch?”

“Sure, great! I’ve gotta lock up first, though, so we’ll have to wait for Pinkie and Cheese.”

“Oh, that’s ok,” said Pinkie. “Cheese and me are just about done. Aren’t we, Cheesie?” she called down the gym.

Cheese Sandwich was face down and snoring on top of the schedule that was still rolled out on the table. “Cheesie!” yelled Pinkie. “Wake up! Jeez, what’s wrong with you?” she asked. “Didn’t you sleep at all last night?”

“Yeah,” muttered Cheese, “sorry about that. I’ve got a wicked headache.” He reached under the table, pulled out a bottle of water, and drank half of it.

“You slept through Pinkie’s cheer? Are you ok?” asked Dash.

“Oh, yeah,” he said. “It all levels off in a couple of days.” He brushed off the schedule, and began rolling it up. “I’m heading home, ok, Pinks? If I can shake the headache, I’ve got someplace I need to be.”

“Ok,” said Pinkie. “But you’ve got tomorrow, right?”

“I had plans then, too, actually,” he said, “but I can change them if you really need me to.”

“No, that’s ok,” said Pinkie. “I’ve got lots to do, so—seeya Monday, I guess.”

“Yep,” said Cheese, quickly finishing up his packing and speeding out the door.

For a guy with a headache, he was moving awfully fast.

Author's Note:

And, as an extra little present, have this!

I'm making an executive decision to cut my chapters down to maybe half the size I'd planned. There were two or three more scenes in this one, and you can see how long it was getting to be. The side benefit for you is that a lot of the next chapter's already been written, and hopefully things will come out more quickly.