• Published 13th Apr 2014
  • 10,120 Views, 576 Comments

The Elder Scrolls: The Dragonborn of Equestria - Urimas Ebonheart

  • ...
33
 576
 10,120

Chapter 3

The Elder Scrolls: The Dragonborn of Equestria
Chapter 3

I've been in here for three hours now, I have never been that much of a reader, oh sure I looked at the basics of the restoration school of magic healing, it's how I learnt magic in the first place.

But what I'm looking at in front of me was mind numbingly confusing. This spell book was detailing on how to seal a wound and even make sure there was no scars left behind.

I just stare at it, unable to understand how it works. After thirty minutes my brain cells start killing themselves off trying to work it out. I close the book and grab another one.

This one was a bit more understandable, but unfortunately, even following the instructions I'm unable to cast the spell. Seems their magic is just too complex for me.

Sighing, I turn to Shining and say. "Well that was a bust, your magic is just too complex for me to understand without studying it." I slump on the cushion I'm sitting on and lean back with my hands behind my head.

Unfortunately, I forgot that I'm not on a chair and fall on my back with an 'ompf'. I lay there staring at the ceiling as Shining moves over and looks down at me with a smirk.

"I meant to do that," I say with confidence, his smirk just gets bigger.

"Sure ya did, so what are you planning to do now?" he asks. I start thinking on what to do.

"Guess I'll just read up on history or something, if I’m going to be stuck here I might as well know more about this place," I reply sitting up.

"Well, while you do that I need to go and report to the barracks. The guard at the door will keep an eye on you now, so stay out of trouble," he gives me a mock glare.

I just salute and we both chuckle.

After another five hours of reading, I learn about the history of the ponies and the different races here.

Dragons, yup there's dragons here. The books say some are friendly while most are greedy, selfish and just downright cruel.

I was about to read up on the language of the dragons until I heard the doors open. A lavender mare with a dark blue mane with pink highlights and saddlebags walks in.

She's levitating a book next to her as she looks around. I recognize the markings of the schools of magic on the cover, I stare wide eyed wondering just where she got a spell book from Tamriel.

I get up, walk over to her, kneel down, pluck the book out of the air and open it. The mare gives me a glare which turns into one of surprise and confusion.

I'm just flipping through the pages, it's a spell book on the basics of all the schools of magic.

Restoration Magic used to heal and purge the body of poisons or diseases, there's even a spell called Sunfire in here that I'd like to try.

Destruction Magic used to attack with the power of the elements.

Conjuration Magic used to form daedric styled weapons and armour, or summon daedric beasts and atronachs,

Alteration Magic used to alter an object’s properties or a person’s body with magically enhanced abilities temporarily.

Illusion Magic used to alter another's perspective or grant invisibility for a short time, my ring blocks out most of this type of magic though.

Enchanting Magic used to infuse magic into objects.

There's not that many spells in here but enough to really start learning the other types of schools. As I flip through it, the mare starts frowning at me and demands the book back.

"And why should I do that? This is Tamrielen magic," I tell her.

She blinks at me for a few seconds and replies "Wait! Tamrielen magic? You know what this is?" she asks now with interest.

I eye her feeling slightly bemused, one second she's peeved, next she's happy and excited.

"Yes, this is a mage’s beginner guide to magic," I tell her as it also says on the cover. I flip through the pages until I get to the Restoration section. I look at the Sunfire spell, it's a spell mostly effective against the undead creating a ball of Sunlight and heat.

As I read the instructions the purple mare is looking at the book over my shoulder, her muzzle scrunches up as I continue to read.

"How can you understand any of this? I've been studying this book for the last twenty-four hours! It goes against everything we know about magic!" I just chuckle as I open my palm and focus on the spell.

After ten seconds of concentration, I manage to make a small ball the size of a pebble, not as big as shown in the book but it’s a start.

The mare just gasps as she stares at the floating ball of light in my hand.

"How? How did you create pure sunlight?" she asks both amazed and awestruck.

"I just converted my magicka into sunlight and formed it into a ball, though it’s not as big as it should be," I reply, frowning at the tiny ball.

The mare stares a little longer and finally focuses on me.

"Oh how rude of me, I haven't even introduced myself. My name is Twilight Sparkle." She looks at me now with a raised brow, "What are you? I've never seen or read about a creature like you before." I chuckle slightly at her question.

"My name is Farengar. I'm a nord from Skyrim, the northernmost lands of Tamriel," I tell her. She looks at me with a very confused look.

"Skyrim? Tamriel? There's no such place in Equestria!" I look at her as an idea forms in my head. As far as I can tell, this mare seems like the scholarly type. I decide to tell her I'm not from here to see how she reacts.

"Of course there's no such place here. That's because I'm not from here." I spread my arms wide, gesturing to all around us. She stares at me for a few seconds, then her eyes widen as realization hits her.

"You're from another world?" I just grin. "But... But, how? When did you get here? How did you get here?" she asks starting to get over excited as she pulls out some parchment with a quill and some ink from a bag on her flank.

Before I could answer the doors open again revealing Celestia at the doorway. Twilight rushes over to her and they nuzzle each other.

"Princess! It's great to see you!" Twilight cry's out with happiness.

"And it is good to see you too my faithful student, what brings you to the archives?" Celestia asks, curious as to why twilight was here.

"Oh, well, just over a day ago I was studying the effects magic could have on certain plants. Then this bright light flashed in the library, after it died down there were several objects on the floor, this book was one of them," she says pointing at the book in my hand.

Celestia eyes the book in my hand levitates it over to her. She reads the page on the Sunfire spell and then notices the light in my hand, she looks at the orb and her eyes widen and she can feel the sun’s energy coming from it.

"You're able to create sunlight?" she asks intrigued and worried at the implications.

"Well, sort of. As the spell details, I just convert some of my magicka into a form of light energy that gives off a bit of heat. This spell was designed to battle undead creatures, the light burns away the dark magic possessing it," I explain as she continues to read the book.

She flips through several pages and comes across the summon scamp spell. She studies it for a minute and her horn starts to glow. After a few seconds a dark blue void opens up and a scamp fades into existence, five seconds later the void fades leaving the scamp looking around standing next to Celestia awaiting her command.

Celestia looks at the daedric beast and then back to the book, her horn glows again and the scamp is sent back to whence it came.

Well looks like the ponies can learn my magic. I just stared at her with my jaw agape, seems twilight has a similar expression.

"This magic of yours feels very strange to cast. When ponies use magic, we have to follow a set of rules and laws to cast a spell. If you don't follow them you could overload the spell causing it to fail or even harm the caster," she explains still staring at the book.

"But your magic has no such limitations. From these instructions, it's more about a force of will, forcing your magic to take form," she says, very intrigued by the book. Twilight was just writing down everything the princess just said on the parchment.

"Hmmm, well that's interesting and all. But may I have the book back? I was planing to learn more on restoration magic," I ask her. She looks at me with a conflicted expression, she looks to the book then back at me.

"I'm sorry, but I can't allow that yet. We’re still trying to determine if you're a danger to us or not yet, and from what I have seen in this book, this would make you very dangerous," she replies. That actually hurt me a little, but I understand where she was coming from though.

"The book will go in my vault with your sword, after I've looked it over some more to determine if anything in it can be a threat to us." She says with a frown looking at the book.

"Fine, I was only trying to improve my healing magic, but if that's what you must do then so be it, I can wait," I reply. I stand up and head back to the table and place the books back on the shelves.

Twilight is just eyeing the book floating in front of Celestia, but snaps out of it at Celestia's voice.

"You mentioned there were several objects? What are they?" Celestia asks Twilight. I head back over to them as Twilight recalls what they are.

"Oh, there was a staff that was a golden colour with a dragon’s head on the top. Erm, there was also an orb with your cuite-mark inside it." Celestia gasped as twilight said that.

"The Sunstone was brought here as well? Twilight, I will have guards go back to Ponyville with you to retrieve it, was there anything else?" Twilight continues the list.

"There was a black crystal like gem with a dark purple tinge to it." Now my eyes went wide, she just described a black soul gem.

"Celestia, you need to lock that gem away or destroy it. It's a black soul gem used to contain the soul of someone, soul gems are the base item needed to make enchantments and are a blueish pink crystal like gem. They hold the souls of animals and primitive life forms until they're used. A black soul gem can contain the soul of an intelligent being providing a bigger charge. They're illegal where I'm from, mostly used by necromancers."

Twilight gasped in horror as Celestia took a breath, but before she could say anything a guard bursts in panting slightly.

"Princess, we've found a strange altar like table in the gardens maze," he reports. Celestia turns back to Twilight.

"Twilight, also give that gem to the guard when you get back to Ponyville along with the staff as well." Twilight nodded and leaves the archives, Celestia then looks at me.

"Come, Farengar. I'll need you to tell me what this table might be if it’s from your world," she tells me. I nodded and follow her to the garden maze.

Once we arrive, the guard guides us to the table. Once in view, I recognise it as an enchanting table. I walk over and start examining it, its in perfect condition. Celestia frowns upon seeing the horned skull but also examines the table.

"This is an enchanting table. You place an object in the centre rune and soul gems on the the outer runes. The more soul gems you place and the higher quality of the souls in them, the greater the enchantment will be," I explain. On the floor next to the table I spot an object. I gasp as it's the daedric artefact Azura's Star. I pick it up and look at it, its glowing in the centre.

"What is that?" Celestia asks, as I hold it out for her to see.

"It’s a daedric artefact called Azura's Star, made by the daedric prince Azura, Queen of Dawn and Dusk. This is basicly a soul gem that can be used over and over again, or that's what the legends say." Celestia lifts it in the air as her horn glows very bright. A beam of heat and light bursts forth engulfing the star.

After a few seconds she stopped to reveal the star undamaged.

"You can’t destroy a daedric artefact," I tell her, she frowns as the star vanishes along with the table.

"I've placed them in my vault for now until they can be examined further, as for you, Farengar. You may return to your room. It's getting late and Luna wanted a word with you." I sigh and nodded. I head back into the castle and to my room, with the guard still following me.

I open the door and spot Luna sitting by the window.

"You wanted to talk with me, Luna?" I ask as I stand next to her watching the sun start to set.

"Yes, I was wondering if you'd allow me to view your dreams again tonight." I stare outside and think for a bit, sure I want them to trust me, but viewing my past and memories just seems wrong. After a few more seconds I sigh.

"I'd rather you didn't, but if I'm to earn your trust I see no other option than to let you." She smiles and nodded in agreement. She turns to walk away but I place a hand on her back with a neutral expression.

"And in return I want know about this Nightmare Moon incident I read about in one of your history books," I tell her. Her eyes go wide as she looks into my eyes, I can see the shame and sadness on her face.

"Alright, it's only fair, but you might not like what you will see." She leaves the room closing the door softly.

I turn to the bed, remove my shirt and slip under the covers. After a few minutes, I fall asleep.

Dream World

I'm in a vast white void, I look around and see nothing else here with me. After a couple of minutes, Luna appears beside me.

"Where are we?" I ask her.

"We are in the Dreamscape. It's a lucid dream where you'll remember all you've seen here as if you were awake at the time," she tells me. Well, that sounds really useful.

"So what do we do now?" I ask her, scratching my chin in thought.

"Think of a memory and a door will appear in front of you, enter it and you can view the memory," she explains and a dark blue almost black door appears in front of her, she opens it and I follow her inside.

I find myself in an open field with a small castle and a village around it. I see ponies playing and working the fields as Celestia overlooks them from her castle.

The environment shifts to a dark blue bedroom, Luna is on the bed crying and depressed. The real Luna next to me is looking down at the floor with a sad expression on her face.

"They don't love us," the Luna on the bed chokes out, "They hate our night." She continues to sob for a few more minutes, then a look of anger and rage forms on her face.

"So be it. If they want to sleep through our beautiful night, then we shall make the night, last, FOREVER!" The room fades out to show the throne room of the castle, slightly damaged and scorched. Corpses of guards litter the floor, Celestia and Luna flying through the air shooting at each other with blasts of magic.

After a few minutes, Luna gets a hit on Celestia's wing causing her to fall and slam into the marble floor, forming a small crater.

Luna stands before Celestia, her coat pitch black with menacing armour, billowing mane and tail with cat like eyes, the anger and rage still present in them.

"Sister! Please stop! Why art thou doing this?" Celestia cry's out, Luna just glares at Celestia.

"Because our subjects hate our night! They shun and sleep through the night, not once have we seen them stay up and play under our moon and stars!" she rages on with fury and hate.

"It's always 'praise the sun' or 'praise Celestia' not once have we heard them praise us or our moon!" Luna walks menacingly towards Celestia, during this the real Luna is silently crying next to me.

"We shall make the night last forever! They will love us and our night!" Luna laughs with a mad look in her eyes, she points her horn to the ceiling and starts creating a dark orb of magic at the tip.

Celestia summons all the strength she has left and six crystals float around her giving her energy. Her horn glows bright as a rainbow coloured beam of magic shoots out and slams into Luna.

With a look of shock and confusion, Luna is sent hurtling towards the moon, where after a few seconds, a shadow of a pony could be seen on its face.

Celestia just starts crying, saying she's sorry over and over again. After a minute the dream fades and I'm back in the white Dreamscape.

I turn and look at Luna, her head is hung low and her tears falling to the floor, regret showing on her face.

"So now you know the truth. I let my anger and jealousy consume me, even after a thousand years I was still full of rage and anger. I returned and tried again, but Twilight Sparkle and her friends freed me from my rage and hate." I lift up her head and wrap my arms around her neck in a tight hug. She continues to sob, returning the hug.

"You're not the only one who's done something they regret," I tell her. A blood red door appears in front of me.

I look at the door, Luna can see the sadness and fear in my eyes. I hesitantly reach out and grab the handle. After pushing it open, I walk into my worst nightmare.

Author's Note:

Yeah not much action here.

Next chapter though will be a doozy. lots of action and sadness....guess I better add the tragedy tag now.