• Published 13th Apr 2014
  • 10,130 Views, 576 Comments

The Elder Scrolls: The Dragonborn of Equestria - Urimas Ebonheart

  • ...
33
 576
 10,130

Chapter 13

The Elder Scrolls: The Dragonborn of Equestria
Chapter 13

Farengar's Dream: One year four months ago

I've been hired to rescue a kidnapped ten year old Imperial girl from Riften. The ransom demand was impossible to meet, not even the wealthiest families have two-hundred-thousand Septims.

The family tried asking the Riften guards and even the imperial legion for help, but the guards would not and the legion were preoccupied with the Stormcloaks at the time. I'm in the Riften Inn asking about any jobs available, the parents heard me and pleaded to me with an offer of one-thousand Septims to find her.

Their daughter was being held in a cave southeast of Riften called Broken Helm Hollow, I don't know how they got her, but I accept the job and make my way there.

Taking cover behind a boulder, I look at the cave entrance, two scruffy looking khajiit are standing guard wearing fur armour. One has a bow, the other has a pair of rusty looking daggers.

I pick up a stone and throw it just past them to the left of the cave, one of them goes to check it out as the other keeps an eye out.

Using the bushes and trees for cover, I sneak up and put the one that stayed behind into a headlock while covering his mouth I drag him away and snap his neck, during the struggle his bow was damaged.

The other turns back only to see his friend gone, he turns to the cave but before he can enter, I rush at him with my sword drawn and impale the back of his skull as it burst into flames, he falls dead to the floor as I move into the cave.

Dark, there was hardly any light to see by. There was an orc just chipping away at the cave wall with a pickaxe, he's wearing a chainmail suit of armour with an orcish style battle axe leaning against the wall.

I don't see anyone else nearby, so I charge and swing my sword down at him, he hears me coming and avoids it just in time. He drops the pick and grabs his axe.

I attempt to hit him again, he parries it and punches me in the face. Good thing my helmet has a nose guard to absorb most of the blow.

I reel back a few steps from the hit, he swings horizontally at me, hitting the left side of my head. The helmet holds as I'm sent to the floor. My ears are ringing and I'm slightly dazed.

The orc smirks, or at least I think he did as he lifts his axe to finish me off. At the peak of his attack, I swing my sword just above his boots, slicing through his kneecaps setting the wounds on fire.

He roars out in pain which echoes throughout the cave as he falls to the floor. I can hear a commotion heading my way, I stand back up and kill the orc by slitting his throat with a dagger I have on my left hip.

I take cover behind some barrels as the other bandits come across the orc's corpse. I'm a skilled fighter, but not even I'm mad enough to take on seven of them alone while disorientated.

As they split up to search, I start healing my head, it took about thirty seconds but the dizziness passes. As I finish, an arrow bounces off my right pauldron and lodges into the barrel, I turn to see a bandit readying another arrow.

With the dagger still in hand, I throw it at him. He's too busy notching the arrow to see it coming as it embeds into his chest. He grunts as he falls to his knees clutching the dagger, he tips over to his left and lays dead on the floor as blood pours out of the wound.

I take back my dagger and continue onwards. After a few minutes, I come across two doors, I can hear crying from the right door and an angry argument from the left. I slowly open the right door to find a young girl chained to the wall.

I sneak over to the bandit sitting on a chair and pull out my dagger again. As I get right behind him, I thrust the dagger into the top of his head he gurgles for a few seconds before falling off the chair.

The girl looks up at me with fear and bloodshot eyes from all of her crying, I put the dagger away as I kneel down in front of her.

"Shhhh it's okay, your parents sent me here to take you home," I tell her. Her eyes then light up and a smile on her face. I take out a lockpick and start undoing her chains, after a minute and a broken pick later she's free.

"Alright, stay close behind me, should we run into anyone, I want you to hide while I take care of them, okay?" I tell her. She sniffs and nodded.

We both head out the door and back down the tunnel, two bandits spot us and I tell her to hide behind a minecart.

A female nord with leather armour and two steel longswords and a male argonian with studded armour and a sword and shield block our path.

The argonian strikes first by trying to ram me with his shield, I sidestep and bash the back of his head with the pommel of my sword. As he falls down, the nord thrusts her swords forward and barely cuts my left elbow.

I kick her in the gut and she stumbles back. I take the opportunity to plunge my sword into the argonian's back when he tries to get back up turning his insides to ash, I hear a scream and turn around to see the girl running from a khajiit in leather armour with one iron dagger and one steel dagger.

I ignore the nord and run as fast as I could, I hear someone behind me yell "KILL EM BOTH!" My blood runs cold as the khajiit just grins as he chases her. I catch up and I raise my sword to strike, but I'm too late, the bandit stabs the girl in the back near her heart. I faintly hear a pair shocked sounding gasps behind me.

My eyes fly wide open, she didn't even scream as she falls to the floor. My anger spikes and rage fills my eyes.

The khajiit turns around while still grinning, but the moment he sees me towering over him with an expression of pure malice his grin fades, I then drop my sword down on him with as much strength as I could muster, he screams in pure fear and terror as my blade carves through him down the middle splitting him in two and setting him ablaze.

Pain shoots through my left shoulder as an arrow gets lodged between the back plate and pauldron, I ignore the pain as I turn around, eyes burning with vengeance.

The bandits see my expression and the fact I didn't even flinch when I got shot makes them step back a bit.

I raise my sword and pointed it at the orc in full steel armour with a steel greatsword on his back and a bow in his grip. I start walking towards them, picking up speed as I close the distance.

Adrenaline is flowing through me as I no longer feel pain nor fatigue, anger and rage now fuelling my actions. I again engage with the nord as she lifts her swords to parry, but I thrust my sword pushing her blades away and sinking my blade through her right eye, she screams as her face is ignited and drops dead as my sword slides out.

Another bandit, a dunmer with a mace, swings and hits my right leg, I barely even twitch as I grab the back of his head and slam his face into the cave wall lined with jagged rocks, he falls to the floor ether unconscious or dead. He's bleeding badly so he'll be dead soon if not anyway, some teeth are on the floor next to his face.

I turn to the next one, a female redguard in fur armour with an iron shortsword and an iron waraxe, rage still burning within my eyes. She starts to tremble as the orc tells her to kill me.

I start to walk towards her, my sword ready to strike. As I get near her, she panics and starts swinging wildly. I ether parry her weapons or let them bounce off my plated forearms. She begins to tire, so I quickly grab her left shoulder and pulled her down as I knee her in the jaw making her recoil and dropping her weapons. I thrust my sword into her chest and the enchantment sets her alight. My swords enchanted glow fades away as its charges are spent.

There's two left, the orc and an altmer with a robe and bent looking staff. I notice that the altmer is casting a spell but before I could move he fires of a firebolt spell at me.

I raise my sword and the bolt hits the blade, a few embers burn my fingertips as it disperses over my blade. I rush forward and perform an uppercut slashing through his staff and leaving a nasty laceration on his face, his left eye gets cut open and it oozes out its gooey centre.

Ignoring the writhing altmer for now, I turn my attention to the leader, he doesn’t look afraid, if anything he looks angry that I ruined everything.

He draws his sword and rushes at me, I bring my sword up and parry his attack. For the next four or five minutes we were trading blows, parrying or dodging.

He's getting frustrated and starts getting sloppy, he swings down at me and I side step to the left while raising my sword. His sword hits the floor while I bring mine down and chop off his arms at the elbows, he roars in pain as he tumbles forward. I place my right foot on the back of his neck and start stabbing him over and over in his lower back. Even after he dies I keep stabbing, roaring out with anger the whole time.

Once I stop, I notice the altmer no longer moving. I walk over to the girl and turn her over, her eyes hollow and lifeless. My adrenaline rush subsides and I can now feel pain in several locations, mainly my left shoulder and right leg.

I sheath my sword and pick the girl up, I leave the cave and limp back to Riften tired and defeated with the arrow still in my back. Tears flow down my face, shame filling me as I failed to save her.

I reach the gates, the guards just watching as I enter. I head to the home of the couple who hired me and I knock on the door. A few seconds later it's flung open and the girls parents stare at me. They then look to my arms and start tearing up, the woman falls to her knees as the father takes his daughter.

He too falls to his knees as they both cry while hugging her. The father asks what happened, I explain what happened and apologise repeatedly, although I do tell them that all the bandits are dead. He stands up still holding the girl and thanks me for at least bringing her body back. He offers me some gold but I refuse, I failed and don't deserve anything.

The mother at least offers me a some healing potions, she would not take no for an answer, so I take them and thank her.

They take her inside as the door slowly closes and I can hear the anguish from inside. "I'm sorry," I say as I limp away to the temple to get the arrow removed and my wounds healed. On the way there, I notice a blue and white blur fade away with a few wet spots on the floor where they stood.

Dream Ends

I awaken to the sounds of a worried voice. "Farengar? Wake up! Farengar!" My eyes slowly open, my cheeks feel wet as I sit up and wipe them.

Twilight is looking at me with a very worried expression and Moonbeam is sitting next to me also concerned.

"Are you alright? You were tossing and turning a lot in your sleep," Twilight asks me. I look from Moonbeam to Twilight and give a sad smile.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just another bad dream is all," I tell her. She looks unconvinced but doesn't pry any further. I get out of bed and stretch, my back cracks a few times as I pop the joints.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"About eight-fifteen, we'll head to the Town Hall at nine, but until then, go wash up while Spike's making breakfast," she replies. I unpack the tooth brush I got at the Castle, then she leads me to the bathroom and leaves me to it. I wash up, though the bathtub was smaller than the one at the castle. I also use the toilet, which I still found odd looking as it was just a hole in the floor with a seat around it.

I brush my teeth but didn't bother with my hair, my stubble is also getting longer. I put on my red shirt and black trousers.

After I'm done, I head back down to the kitchen where breakfast is just served. Spike looks up at me with a 'you alright' look, I just smile and nodded to him.

Twilight and Moonbeam have a bowl of oatmeal while Spike and I have scrambled eggs with toast.

Once it was all gone the time was around nine, so while Twilight told Spike what needed to be done, I walk upstairs and get my pouch of potions, the case of bits, the adoption papers, and my greatsword which I strap on.

I head back downstairs where Twilight's waiting by the door with Moonbeam, Twilight raises a brow at my sword.

"Why are you bringing your sword with you?" she asks as her head tilts to the left.

"Well, I'll be applying as a guardsman. Won't it be good to show what weapon I'll be using?" I tell her. That, and it's just habit, I always wear my sword with me.

"Guess so, just don't get it out alright?" she tells me. I nodded as I grip the rolled up papers in my right hand and the case with my left.

We all walk through town, ponies are starting their daily routines, but they stop again and stare at me as we walk past.

The staring doesn't bother me at all as I walk alongside Twilight. The Town Hall comes into view as we enter the town square.

"Okay, first thing is to find you a house. Then we sort out the adoption papers and after that we'll talk to the Sergeant of the town guard," Twilight says. I nodded and we make our way to the Town Hall.

I make it to the doors and open them for Twilight and Moonbeam. "Thank you," Twilight says with a smile.

We walk up to a desk where a light blue pegasus mare with a light blonde mane and tail sitting behind it, "Good morning, Skybloom. Is Mayor Mare available?" Twilight asks her.

The mare hums and looks up but lets off a startled 'eep' as she falls back off her cushion.

I chuckle at the reaction while Moonbeam giggles, Twilight asks if she's alright. "Yes I'm fine," Skybloom replies.

She looks at me for a few seconds before turning to Twilight. "Please wait here while I go check." She stands up and trots off to a door to my right.

We all take a seat on some cushions and wait for a few minutes, the door opens again as Skybloom and a tan mare with a wavy white mane and tail and a mark of a scroll walks over to us.

"Ah Twilight, is there something I could help you with?" she asks. She then looks at me with a raised brow.

"Yes, Farengar here would like to know if there are any houses for sale," Twilight asks. The mayor looks back to Twilight with a hoof to her chin and thinks for a second.

"I think so, wait here for a moment while I go check the records." Skybloom is back behind her desk giving me the occasional glance, the Mayor goes back to her office and retrieves some papers and then returns.

"Let’s see here. Sold, sold, sold, rented, sold, demolished. Ah ha, here we go. There are two houses for sale, one at the north side of town and one by the edge of town to the south," she tells us. "What kind of house were you looking for?" she asks.

"Just a small house, two bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, living room and a yard," I reply.

"Hmmmm, well the north house is a big one, but the south one has what you described as well as a cellar," says the mayor.

I smile. "Perfect, how much will it cost?" She looks at the paper again and replies.

"One-thousand two-hundred bits," she says, I just raise my eyebrows. Most homes that size cost like five-thousand septims back in Skyrim.

"I'll take it," I say as I open the case.

The mayor sees what's in the case with a shocked expression. "Please come into my office," she quickly says. I nodded and close the case, we all head to her office.

Once inside, Twilight and Moonbeam sit on a couch while I sit on the only chair in the room. Once seated the mayor gets some papers out as well as an inkwell with a quill.

"Okay, this is the deed to the house, just sign here and any other residents names here, once payment is made the house is yours," she says with a smile.

I sign the papers and count out twelve-hundred bits. Once paid for, she hands me the deed and two keys.

"Is there anything else?" the Mayor asks, I pull out the adoption papers and hand them to her.

She looks over the papers then up to Moonbeam with a sad smile on her face, "Very well, I'll sign these and add them to the town records, you're now the official guardian of her." I look over to Moonbeam, she's smiling.

"Is that all?" the Mayor asks again as she signs the papers.

"One more thing, I'm looking for a job with the town guard," I tell her. She finishes with the papers and looks at me.

"Well I must admit, you do look like a strong and able fellow, but it will be up to Sergeant Nightwing to decide that," she replies.

“And where is he?” I ask.

"Oh, he's through the door to the left of the reception desk, now I have some more papers to look through. Thank you and welcome to Ponyville." She smiles and nodded slightly, I return the gesture with one of my own.

We exit the room and head to the Sergeant's door, I notice Skybloom still looking at me.

Twilight knocks on the door as an old gruff voice calls out. "Come in!" Twilight opens the door and we all enter.

An old dark grey pegasus stallion with a night blue mane and tail is sitting behind a desk reading what looks to be patrol reports.

He looks up and has a intrigued look as he spots me, once again Twilight and Moonbeam sit off to the side as I stand in front of the desk since there were no chairs here.

"So what business do you have with the guard?" he asks. I notice a scar on his throat, explains why he sounds gruff.

"I just bought a house here and I'm looking for a job," I tell him. He raises an eyebrow and looks me over.

"And what kind of job would that be?" he asks.

"Guard duty," I reply. He snorts and looks me in the eye.

"And what experience do you have?" he asks as he leans back. I just notice he has a back to the cushion he's on.

I list off my experiences. "I was a guard for my home town for three years, after that I've been roaming around doing jobs like bandit exterminations, clearing out undead, protecting towns, chasing off wild animals or trolls, and fought in Arenas. Oh, and with the help of the Princesses, killed the changeling Queen," I tell him.

With a neutral expression he replies. "Impressive, what are you capable of? Can you use magic?" he inquires.

"I'm skilled and trained with greatswords and heavy armour," I say as I tap the grip of my sword. "I can use restoration magic and I'll also be learning a variety of other spells as well while I'm living here," I tell him. He raises a brow.

"Restoration magic? As in healing?" he asks, I nodded in reply. "That's good, healing spells are very hard to learn and can do more harm than good if cast wrong."

"No need to worry about that, my magic is different from yours." He looks up at me with a confused look.

"Oh? How so?" he asks. I pick up a letter opener on his desk a cut my left forearm, Twilight and Moonbeam gasp as I do, but the Sergeant shows no emotion.

My right hand glows a golden yellow as I place it over the cut, the wound closes and not even a scar is left, though some of the hair is gone.

Now he has a reaction. "Well I'll be, never seen magic like that before." I place the letter opener back on the desk.

"If you want an explanation ask Twilight, I remember her writing down what Celestia said about my magic compared to pony magic." Twilight just blushes slightly at that.

"I'll be sure to ask her." He looks me over one last time and gives off the first smile I've seen from him. "Alright, I'll put you through a required application test tomorrow at ten, don't be late," he says. I nodded.

I say goodbye and leave the room. We head to the exit but I look back once more to see Skybloom still looking at me. 'Creepy' I think to myself as we leave.

Twilight turns to me once we're outside. "Well since we're near the market would you like to pick up anything for your house?"

I look down to her and nodded. "Yeah, I'll need to get food and supplies for the house," I tell her. Twilight leads us over to a bridge and to the first stand there.

I spot Applejack with a large red stallion with a short orange mane and tail with a large green half apple for a mark. "Well howdy, didn't expect ta be seein' you ere' so soon," she says smiling up at me.

I'm still not used to her accent, I've never heard anything like it before. "Likewise, so you sell apples?" I ask.

"We sure do, we run the best doggone orchard in all of Equestria! Ere' try a bite," she says as she tosses me two red apples.

I give one to Moonbeam and take a bite from the other, instantly my mouth waters. Sweet juices flow over my tongue as I chew it, I swallow my bite and smile.

"Well, that's got to be the best apple I've ever tasted!" I say and take another bite, I hear Moonbeam let out a happy sigh.

Applejack grins with her head held high. "Why thank ya kindly. We work hard ta insure only the best apples are grown, ain't that right Big Mac."

Big Mac just smiles and replies with one word. "Eeyup."

Applejack looks back to me. "So what kin ah do yer for?" I choke as I swallow, Applejack just looks confused.

I cough a few times and reply. "What?" I say, a slight red tinge to my face.

She tilts her head to the side. "Huh? You know, you wantin' ta buy sumthin'?" she asks. I sigh, glad I just misunderstood.

"Sure, err, how much for ten red apples?" I ask, the tinge gone from my cheeks.

"Well, it's a bit fer five apples or four bits fer twenty-five apples," she replies.

"Oh, well I'll have the twenty-five for four then," I tell her. She smiles as Big Mac hooks himself to a empty cart.

Applejack fills a bag with the apples and hands them over to me. I open the case and pull out four bits and pass them to her, she gasps when she sees how much is in there.

"Thanks sugercube, but ere's ah word of warnin', don't be goin' around showing off what's in that there case, you might attract some unwanted attention," she warns me. I ask her what she meant by that.

"Well recently, there's been a string of muggin's happening lately, the guard ain't caught who's behind it yet, so just be careful," she tells me. I smile at her.

"Thanks for the warning, guess I'd better go to my new house and place this in a safe place." She smiles back and nodded.

Twilight then speaks up. "You could start a bank account," she suggests to me. I just shrug in reply, I notice Big Mac walking off with the cart.

"Maybe, but right now I'd rather go see our new home," I tell her. We all say our farewells and head south.

After a ten minute walk we come across a small house at the edge of town, behind it is a large open field with a dense dark looking forest.

"I'm guessing that's the Everfree Forest?" I ask Twilight.

"Yes, I know you can handle yourself, but please be careful, the creatures of the forest have been acting strange lately. They've been wondering out sometimes when they usually don't," she informs me. I look at the forest for a few seconds then head to the door.

Using one of the keys to open it we head inside and look around; the room looks bare with a fireplace, a couch and two desks and an empty bookshelf. I place the case under one of the desks and the bag of apples on top.

I was about to ask where the cellar door was when loud a roar is heard outside followed by three child like screams.

"That sounded like Appleblo... FARENGAR WAIT!" Twilight yells to me, but I'm already out the back door with my sword drawn. Another roar is heard as I spot three fillies running out of the forest followed by a large beast that looked sort of like a Saber Cat, just without the long fangs, it also has bat like wings and a long tail with a stinger on the end.

Twilight follows behind me without Moonbeam, she calls out to the girls, they hear her and rush over to us. I set off into a sprint and pass the fillies.

I stop and bring up my sword ready to fight.