• Published 21st Apr 2014
  • 13,737 Views, 1,256 Comments

Night Mares - NCMares



Drafted into the defense of Equestria, the Crusaders volunteer to embark a series of dangerous operations behind enemy lines to cripple one of their chief technological advantages, a revolutionary spell matrix that Twilight refers to as the "radio."

  • ...
27
 1,256
 13,737

Belle

Rarity,

I’m fine. I really need you to understand that I’m OK. Don’t freak out. Don’t do that to me, please. Believe in me. Believe that I’m alright and will stay alright.

Things can get pretty awful, but Scootaloo, Apple Bloom and I are all fine. They’re writing letters, too. I’ll be sending one out to mom and dad, but please don’t show them this one. This is ours, OK? I don’t know if it’s wrong or not, but I told them that things aren’t so bad out here – that the papers have blown most things out of proportion and that we’re not in the Muck a lot.

That’s not true.

I just can’t tell them what I’ve done out here, or what I’ve really seen. I don’t know why I can tell you. It feels so strange to write about, but I need to. You can stop here, if you want, but I must write this. I’m sorry.


I hope you’re not still mad and have come to understand why I had to go with them.

I love you, sister, and will see you soon.

Love,
Sweetie Belle

--

Scootaloo was the first of us kill somepony. Apple Bloom did it just before I did. The anticipation was the hardest part, and the first kill is the hardest. After that it’s pretty easy.

I feel a little awful for writing that, but it’s the truth. You’ll probably read about a place called the Shimmering Valley in the paper.

We were there. I’ve killed many ponies, but know that they would have done it to me without hesitation. They would have killed you, too, and everypony with us.

This enemy has nothing in mind but the destruction of Equestria and everypony in it.

It’s a crusade, Rarity.

I saw it myself.

I saw it, and I can’t stop seeing it. They didn’t spare anypony in the town. They gutted Quarry and executed everypony in it.

Everypony was killed.

We had an enemy prisoner. Scootaloo personally got the information from him after she saw what happened. They believe that the princesses are abominations. They want to ‘cleanse’ the world of the alicorns and all of us who ‘worship’ them by allowing them to remain in control of the sun and moon.

That’s it. That’s their reason for the slaughter and the war. We can no longer hope that we’ll recover any of our ponies from enemy territory.

I wanted to hang on, but I can’t.

Not anymore.

I desperately wanted to continue to feel something when I killed, but now I crave the opposite.

…I hate them.

All of them, and I look forward to getting back into the Muck. I don’t think that I’ve ever truly hated anypony, but out here in the Northwest it looks to be a valuable asset.

If you’ve gotten this far – thank you. I’m still your little sister and love you with all my heart, Rarity. I hope you’re not called out here. More than anything, I hope that you can sit this out. I have no doubt you’d serve admirably, but I just want you to be safe. Funny how the tables turn, huh?

It’s hard to tell when I’ll get your letters if you, mom and dad write back, but I’ll see you all soon.

Have faith in me.

-Sweetie

Author's Note:

Maybe Then I'll Fade Away