• Published 13th Aug 2014
  • 1,817 Views, 32 Comments

Complete the Circuit - Jeff Nunchucks



Magic permeates every aspect of the known world. Because of this, its residents had no need for anything else. Maybe they'll change their minds when a disgraced scientist completes his twenty year project, assuming nothing dramatic happens.

  • ...
0
 32
 1,817

II - A Blip on the Radar

A week had passed since Transistor had activated Circuit for the first time. In that time he had truly seen what all those years of work had paid off in. Circuit's "mind" was as complex and developed as any other pony's, maybe even more so than the average. While Transistor had created autonomous systems before, this was on a completely new plane of existence. It was in this time that he had grown to see Circuit not as a project, but as his own foal.

It was capable of learning the way an ordinary pony could. Better, even, as it was able to process information more thoroughly and much faster. It was able to learn from its own mistakes, as well as those made by Transistor himself. While there was much information Transistor had programmed into Circuit, such as history, a general knowledge and understanding of the neighboring races, the Princesses, the whole concept of magic (it still took issue with that subject, for whatever reason), politics, economics, and other trivial academics that were necessary for living in Equestria. The subjects he refused to encode were more abstract topics like social skills, ethics and philosophy. Transistor was a firm believer that those were best developed on one's own.

And as it turned out, Transistor's ideology was well placed. Based on the information it had been encoded with and the knowledge imparted by Transistor, Circuit had developed a simple but solid ethical code, one centered mainly around maintaining integrity. Transistor found that little bit interesting. While he had not explicitly programmed the ability to lie or, for that matter, the ethical dilemma of doing so, Circuit was, in fact, capable of lying. What truly made it fascinating was that Circuit knew it was wrong... in most circumstances. Transistor still got a laugh out of Circuit's curt "I did not do it" when it made a mistake right in front of him.

What made Transistor most proud was that Circuit had actually exhibited emotion, empathy and even a sense of humor, though the monotone it spoke with killed most of its jokes which consisted mostly of wisecracks or sarcastic responses. After returning home from a particularly rough day of work, Circuit had gone so far as to cook dinner for him having only been told how Transistor's day went. It was little more than a can of soda and a cup of noodles, but Transistor recognized the sentiment.

Even the words Circuit used were indicative of what its mind was capable of. It frequently spoke about how it felt, what it thought, what concerns it had. No ordinary computer was capable of that. Transistor truly had succeeded in achieving what he had intended for Circuit after all this time.

It had a soul.


"Circuit!" Transistor called out. "I'm goin' to the market. Hold the fort down 'til I get back, got it?"

Circuit poked its head through the kitchen door, what it was doing in there Transistor couldn't guess. It responded with a neutral "Understood."

Transistor double-checked his saddlebags for his bit-bag and keys as he locked the apartment door behind him. He had already pulled the key out when he realized he had forgotten his shopping list.

He raised his hoof to knock on the door when the little slip of paper slid under the door. Transistor chuckled to himself and levitated it into his bags before continuing on his way.

Upon exiting the apartment complex, Transistor found himself caught in the middle of lunchtime on one of the busiest streets in Canterlot. The street was chock full of ponies going about their business, but if there was one thing Transistor had learned after living on this street for half his life, was how to move through a crowd.

Transistor weaved his way through the crowds in the street, knowing it was only going to be worse when he arrived at the marketplace. After about ten minutes of dodging, weaving and slipping his way through the mass of bodies, he finally arrived at the marketplace, a large plaza filled with booths and stalls selling all kinds of food, clothing and other merchandise. Merchants from all over Equestria had come to this place to sell their goods. Transistor could see more than a few Minotaur and Griffin shopkeepers, and even a refined looking Diamond Dog selling pieces of jewelry.

Never one for waiting, Transistor went right to his shopping list. Though it was short, it still took much more time than it should have as a result of the massive crowds. An hour later, he had finished all but the last item.

This was a replacement tool kit. The one Transistor used in his day-to-day work had too many missing spaces and broken pieces. He tapped his hoof impatiently as he waited for the Minotaur merchant to gather everything Transistor had requested. The instant the completed toolbox touched the counter, Transistor passed over the bits to pay for them.

"'Fore ye go, I noticed ye got a couple a' shadows followin' ye," the merchant said as Transistor made to leave.

Transistor paused and turned back to face him, confused. "Excuse me?"

"Ah said ye've got some ponies followin' ye. Don't s'pose ye know 'em?" The merchant made a vague gesture somewhere behind Transistor.

Transistor turned his head to look, careful to make it look as though he was looking at something else. True to the Minotaur's word, he caught a quick glimpse of two ponies that appeared to be watching him, one an earth-pony mare, the other a pegasus stallion. Both were obscured in black cloaks, but Transistor could still see their faces. The blood drained from his as he recognized them.

"Yeah," he said, taking a nervous gulp. "I know them."

The Minotaur snorted. "Well arright then. Had me goin' there. Now ye have a good day now, ye hear?"

"I'll try," Transistor said as he turned to leave. The ponies that had been following him had disappeared. They most likely knew that he was now aware of their presence.

Walking at a brisk pace, Transistor was now frequently looking over his shoulder so much that he didn't know what was in front of him the majority of the time. He had bumped into more than a few ponies while he was looking back. He hadn't actually seen the ponies that were shadowing him since the marketplace, but the knowledge that they were there had his hackles raised.

Transistor hadn't been lying when he said he knew them, but it was the way they were looking at him that sent chills up his spine. The stallion had the same indifferent expression he'd always had, but Transistor was well aware that his body language was never a good way to determine the stallion's thoughts. The mare, on the other hoof, was the one that bothered him. She was eyeing him with what Transistor could only describe as an evil grin. While he had always known her to be volatile, something in her eyes suggested that she had something more sinister in her mind.

Normally, Transistor wouldn't have been bothered by this as much, if not for one thing: these were his two friends that had disappeared after the trial two decades ago. For them to have come back after all this time, and were, as far as he was concerned, trying to track him down bothered him. There was no way they could have known about his activating Circuit. Transistor didn't know what it was, but they wanted him for something.

When Transistor finally came to his senses, he realized he was standing in front of his apartment door. He checked his watch: only six minutes had passed since he left the marketplace.

Wow, he thought despite himself. That's the fastest I've ever made that walk.

Transistor unlocked his apartment door, his telekinetic grasp on the key jittery from the adrenaline still running through his body.

"Circuit, you the-- Oh there you are. Nevermind."

Circuit was lying on the floor reading a book. Transistor had never seen anypony read at the speed Circuit did. It would look at one page for less than a second before flipping to the next. It wouldn't have surprised Transistor if it could read an entire encyclopedia in less than a day.

"How was your trip to the market?" it asked.

Transistor froze. He wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to tell Circuit about the ponies following him. "Productive. I was able to get a new tool kit to replace that old one."

Circuit locked eyes with Transistor for a long moment. "I do not know how long a trip to the market usually takes, but I feel that it took you much less time than would be normal."

"I shop like puritans rut: in and out in less than three minutes and only for the procreation of foals," Transistor said with a laugh.

"Interesting. I did not notice a bullet on your shopping list saying to visit a brothel."

"No, Circuit, I will not take you to a brothel," he said in mock chastisement. "The security guards would throw you out for thinking you would hurt the mares." Transistor loved these exchanges between him and Circuit. It showed him that it was more than just a machine, that there was actually an intelligence in there.

"As would their management. There is not exactly any way they could make money off me."

They continued in this manner while they unpacked Transistor's saddlebags. Eventually they reached a pause in their exchange. Transistor's mind was still on the ponies following him.

Circuit seemed to notice that something was on Transistor's mind. "Is something bothering you?"

"I-- look, I ran into a few old... acquaintances of mine that I haven't seen in a while," Transistor began. "They might be coming to... visit later today."

Circuit stared at him in silence, processing what it had heard. "Should I be concerned?"

"Honestly? I don't know. I doubt they came just to talk. There's no way they could know about my having activated you, so I doubt it's that... I just don't know. But whatever happens, be on your guard."


Transistor had spent the rest of the day making copies of everything he had in his computer and transferring them into Circuit, tucking them away in a little folder completely separate from the rest of it's data, after which he had swiped a magnet over his computer. If he needed the data, he could just get it back from Circuit. This hadn't actually taken that long. It would be more accurate to say he had spent about an hour transferring all the information and the next seven worrying his flank off and trying to come up with a plan.

"Doctor, what exactly would these ponies do if they saw me?" Circuit said suddenly.

This question derailed Transistor's train of thought. "Well... I'm sure they would be thrilled to see you up and about after all this time. After all, they did used to be part of the team I was with that built you. But... That being said, I still don't know what they want, but I have a feeling it isn't going to be anything pleasant.

"So how about this: If they come, go to my room and close the door, but leave it open just a crack so you'll be able to see and hear. If they do anything out of line, don't hesitate to bust out of there and give 'em a good bucking. Otherwise, don't do anything unless I tell you to. Got it?"

"Understood."

As if on cue, three knocks came from the door. Transistor and Circuit froze, standing as still and silent as statues. Transistor then started vigorously gesturing for Circuit to go in the room. It nodded and tip-hoofed to the room and closed the door, just as they'd planned. Transistor looked through the door's peephole, and released the breath he had been holding when he saw that it was a pair of particularly antsy Lunar guards, one a mare, the other a stallion.

"Good evening, officers, can I help you?" Transistor said as he opened the door.

"Sir, have you by any chance noticed any ponies exhibiting suspicious behavior out your window in the past forty-five minutes?" the mare said rather hotly.

"I... No. I'm sorry, I've been a bit preoccupied today," Transistor stammered at the aggressive approach from the guard.

The mare responded my grinding her teeth and groaning. "If you do, make sure to report to a guard ASAP. We'll be on our way now."

The guards left as suddenly as they came, moving at a fast clip back to the stairwell. Transistor just stood there, trying to process what had just happened.

"What was that all about?" Circuit suddenly asked from behind Transistor, causing him to jump in surprise with a yelp.

"SWEET CELESTIA, don't sneak up on me like that! I need to put a bell on you or something. How the hay can something your size be so stealthy?" Transistor shouted before slamming the door shut.

Circuit simply shrugged its shoulders in response. "That is just the way I have interpreted my programming. But again, what was that all about?"

"The Lunar guard must be out looking for somepony. Probably just a thief."

The large android stared at Transistor for a long while. "It seems odd to me that you would take this information in stride. Based upon my encoded information, most ponies would exhibit significantly more concern than that."

Transistor sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Let's just say that I have more reason than most to be cynical and leave it at that, m'kay?"

Circuit cocked its head. "Very well. Is this a sensitive subject?"

"Yes... It is."

"Understood."

They stood there in silence for several minutes. Transistor was interrupted from his brooding when Circuit seemed to straighten slightly and look at the door. Concerned, Transistor pressed the side of his face against the door so that he had one ear up against it and he could still see through the peephole. His eyes widened as he saw the two ponies that had been following him earlier in the day, still wearing their black cloaks. Transistor made the same gesture for Circuit to go in the room as before, but threw in a slashing motion across his throat. As long as his point was made, he didn't care. When Circuit was safely hidden, Transistor went back to the peephole.

"I told you, let me talk to him first," the stallion said to the irate mare. "My methods are more effective."

"Ugh, fine," the mare snapped.

Transistor pulled his head away from the door as the stallion knocked.

Okay, think Transistor. You've got Circuit in the next room and it's definitely paying attention. Even if they try something, it can handle these two no problem. What's the harm in humoring them at least?

Transistor opened the door and pretended to act surprised. "Well if it isn't my dear old friends, Airfoil and Hydronia! Come in, come in!" The two ponies entered without saying a word, both removing and discarding their cloaks just inside the door.

Airfoil, the stallion, was a short pegasus with a surprisingly athletic build. He had a navy blue coat and with a slightly lighter shade of blue for his mane and tail. A cutie mark of a paper airplane was stamped on his flank. His long-ish mane was greased back, giving him a slick look. Transistor had always known that to be representative of his personality as well. He always chose his words carefully, never using more than he needed to, and always managed to say just the right things to appeal to somepony. His eyes were a cold bluish gray, giving him an almost sinister look.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Hydronia, the earth-pony mare, was volatile, flamboyant, and direct. Unlike her manipulative counterpart, she had no mind for subtlety or anything else that required self-restraint. She was practically the embodiment of the phrase "Results at all costs." Her coat was a bright red and had a yellow and orange mane and tail. Their spiky arrangement gave them the appearance of flames. Her cutie mark was that of a beaker containing a bubbling bright green liquid, the same color as her eyes. She was wearing a pair of brown, bulging saddlebags and a pair of large, gold hoop earrings. To say she stuck out like a sore hoof would be an understatement. Practically every time she walked outside, everypony's heads turned in her direction, and more than a few ponies walked into each other.

"You always were a terrible liar, Specs," Airfoil said in his trademark absurdly deep voice. "You knew we were coming. Drop the act."

"Alright fine. Whaddaya want with me?"

Airfoil helped himself to Transistor's desk chair. He always was a bit self-absorbed. "While we've been gone, we've been working to make our dream a reality. The same one we had when we first got together. We've been gaining support, but we've been running into roadblocks, ones I believe you can help us get through."

"So you need my skills. Why don't you just say so instead of beating around the bush?"

"Because, my friend, this is as much your fight as it is mine. As much as I know you don't like to admit it, you were the driving force behind this. You were the one that showed us what could be. By joining us, you could show everypony what will be."

Transistor was becoming irritated with all this cryptic talk. "Not to sound cliche, but stop talking in riddles! Half the time you sound like a prophet, the other you sound like a lunatic! What. Do. You. Want. With. Me?" he demanded.

"You never did have any patience, did you? Very well. There will be a paradigm shift soon. The result may forever change the world. With your help, we can go so far as to bring about the next evolution of ponykind."

Sweet Celestia, he's actually serious about this, Transistor realized on shock. We always joked about a revolution, but I didn't actually think he took it literally!

"You're talking about a coup, aren't you?"

"My good stallion, did you really think I would consider overthrowing the Princesses? Such a thing would be suicide! We might as well try to stop the tides, which Luna already can. You think we can stand against that? No. Our goal is to win over the hearts and minds of everypony else. Even the Princesses must obey the majority. You understand this, don't you?"

Transistor remained unconvinced. Intrigued, but unconvinced. "You'll pardon my skepticism. I don't know what the hay you have going on in your head, but I know--"

"WE HAVE EYES ON THE TARGET! AFTER HIM!" yelled an unseen guard from out the window. All three ponies instinctively stopped and looked out the window.

"Looks like my agent is tired of waiting," Hydronia said with a smirk. "This is taking a lot longer than I'd like and he's not buyin' it."

While they were still distracted, she pulled an autoinjector out of her saddlebags and jammed it into Transistor's flank.

"WHAT THE HAY ARE YOU-- you..." Transistor's voice trailed off as his cognition began to fade and his vision narrowed.

Damn. She must have used some kind of sedative... Within seconds, Transistor lost all conscious grip on his body, which was now effectively a puppet that would do as it was told. The last thing he saw was Circuit bucking the door off its hinges/


Circuit had seen enough. It chastised itself and swore to amend its programming for failing to realize the implications of the "Hydronia" pony's statement. There was not enough time for it to act before she injected whatever chemical was in the autoinjector into Transistor. But, by then, Circuit was already preparing to buck the door.

As its rear hooves impacted the door, it was knocked off its hinges and flew into the opposite wall with a tremendous crash as though it weighed little more than an apple. Circuit took a few steps out of the room, bringing itself into full view of the antagonizing ponies.

"Release the doctor and leave," it said in its usual monotone. "I will engage if you do not comply. Your odds of surviving are one in twenty-six. Your odds of sustaining severe bodily injury are one in ninety-three. Your odds of victory are one in seven thousand, two hundred eighty-one."

The two antagonizing ponies stared at Circuit with wide eyes, mouths agape.

"Well I'll be. Looks like Specs was able to get this guy workin'." Hydronia said.

Airfoil took a step forward. "Program, execute admin system override. Code: AF147429A."

Circuit heard the code and was briefly concerned, but it activated no runtimes within its programming, setting its mind at ease. "That is not going to work on me." It lowered its head and stance, preparing to charge. "If you do not comply with my orders, I will engage."

"Sweet Mother Mercy, just how much time did he spend scripting this thing?" Airfoil said as his composure briefly broke out of shock.

Hydronia pulled another autoinjector out of her saddlebags and held it in preparation to inject Transistor's now drooling body. "Alright, now listen up, tin can, you make any moves toward us, and I stick this little guy in his flank. This here's concentrated Frostbite venom. This goes in, you got no hope of saving him, capisce?"

Circuit ran through scenarios in its head at a speed that would be beyond the comprehension of any organic. Every one it tried from this point resulted in Transistor's death, without exception.

"Recalculating... Odds of hostile victory... One in one. I will not engage."

Hydronia beamed. "You see? And you said my methods didn't work. Now hurry up and let's get out of here." She switched her gaze back to Circuit. "And you! Not. One. Step."

The ponies slowly exited the apartment, Transistor in tow and their cloaks forgotten at the door. True to its word, Circuit stayed put. While they were in the hallway, it heard Hydronia say, "We'll take the fire escape. I had our getaway carriage set up in the alley."

"My, my, a bit of competence from our dear Hydronia?" came Airfoil's sarcastic comment. "The last I checked, flying pigs have yet to evolve."

"Yeah, yeah, laugh it up, featherbrain. Besides, at least my plan worked."

"Touche."

As soon as it was certain they would not be able to hear it, Circuit followed as quietly as it could. It cautiously poked its head around the doorway, only to see the door to the fire escape close on the opposite side of the hallway. The sound of frantic hoofsteps reached Circuit's aural sensors as the ponies went down the outdoor stairs. It bolted to the window, only to see a carriage being pulled by four pegasi wearing the same black cloaks that Airfoil and Hydronia were wearing.

Circuit took a reading on the carriage's bearing as it flew away. Bearing marked at 315. Designating predicted flight path on map for reference.

Circuit's emotional processors were in a flux. They were switching between many different emotions, though the one they seemed to keep coming back to was none other than anger. This was a new feeling for Circuit. It had no idea how to respond to this new emotion. But something told it that the only goal it should be concerned with was getting Transistor back. There was another little program that was telling Circuit something else: revenge.

The android turned back to the apartment and put on one of the cloaks that had been left behind, being sure to cover its head so that nopony would be unduly concerned at its appearance. It promptly bolted out the fire escape, down the stairs, and into the alleyway.

Thus did Circuit take its first steps out of the safety of the apartment in which it had been born, and into the world.

Author's Note:

And so the adventure begins. Sort of. Still got a few ponies to meet, piss off, and otherwise turn their lives upside-down.

Hydronia turned out to be a lot more badass than I expected. Hm. You know, I actually kinda like how she turned out.