• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 19,470 Views, 2,467 Comments

An Extended Holiday - Commander_Pensword



Adventure, Mayhem, Magic of unknown origins, and talking colorful Ponies. All being unrelated events have brought three friends together into the wildest holiday that anyone could imagine.

  • ...
69
 2,467
 19,470

PreviousChapters Next
92 - To Dance the Dance

Extended Holiday
Ch 92: To Dance the Dance
Act 12


Grif moved slowly through the meat buffet table that had been placed apart from the others on the far west side of the room, browsing carefully through what was there, and ignoring the several pairs of Gryphon eyes attempting to bore holes into his back. Naturally, they were all easily repelled by Rarity’s ingenious coat. He was so focused on not acknowledging them that he didn’t notice as he nearly balled over a familiar blue gryphoness.

“Oh, sorry, Ma–Genevieve?” he asked, startled.

“Grif!” Genevieve immediately pounced him and caught him in a rough embrace. “Thank you so much for saving Daedalus.”

“Well, I couldn’t let him die when he was barely into his second decade now, could I?” Grif laughed. “Though I will admit it didn’t help that he is quite close to a rather beautiful Gryphoness I happen to know.”

“You do realize I still won’t go easy on you or any other teammates from Equestria, right?” she asked before boldy seizing a lingering kiss. Then she sighed in contentment. “Winds, that felt good.”

“You’d insult me if you did,” Grif told her with a smooth smile of his own. “I missed you, too.”

“Say, Daedalus tells me you got hitched while you were in the empire. Those two wives wouldn’t happen to be somewhere around here, would they?” She gasped. “Oh, and Daedalus asked me to give you this. It’s an official pardon for any and all crimes committed against the crown. You might find something else you like in there, too.”

“They are, in fact. Shrial is over at that table. The Gryphoness standing next to her is Kalima, my adopted mother,” he said, pointing to the dining area. “And Avalon is about speaking with some friend of her father’s, I believe.” Grif opened the envelope and slid out the contents into his palm. He stared for a long time, and much to the surprise of those judgemental Gryphons present, tears began to form in his eyes as he looked down on the image of Daedalus hard at work with another stone mason to carve a sarcophagus. The stern, implacable visage of Kel’leam stared up at the ceiling of the well-lit room with full armor blazoned, his shield on one arm, his spear in the other, perfectly rendered in stone. “Thank you,” Grif rasped, then cleared his throat. “You don’t know what this means to me, and some friends of mine.”

“He will be remembered well for all that he’s done. Kel’leam’s name will never die.” She placed a gentle hand over his, her engagement band glinting in the torch light.

“So then, how many of those behind us want my feathers plucked and my crest shaved off? Daedalus sent an entirely new dispatch, and I can’t gauge who’s who,” Grif said, stowing the papers and gesturing slightly to the delegates behind them.

“Difficult to say. Daedalus had to start off from scratch, but to nurse their egos after he dissolved the old cabinet, he had to add a few of their members to the delegation party instead, so they wouldn’t lose face. I’d say probably about half the party hates you. The others are either neutral or supporters. I think one of them may be familiar to you, actually.”

“Well at least that's something. So how is Daedalus? Have they manged to reseat him at Gryphilhiem, or is he still within the western forts?”

“He’s keeping to the forts for now under a tight guard until things can settle down more fully, but things seem to be pretty calm for him right now. With the people at his back, most of the usual dissenters were suddenly found mounted on pikes, among other things. I hear a third of the Gryphons involved in the plot were rounded up by the end of the first week. The others are fleeing Gryphonia as fast as they can, and by any means necessary.”

“Well I hope they find their safety somewhere else. They’ll find Equestria more hostile than they imagined. I’ve made many friends here, you know.” Grif smiled at her. “And I have no issue sending a few heads back to Daedalus.”

“I’m sure he’d appreciate them. Though I’m not sure they’d fare much better in Zebrica or the Stampede Grounds. I hear they’re just as hostile as ever after the war. I wouldn’t be surprised if Daedalus offered a bounty just to sweeten the deal.”

“So you’re heading back to training in the morning?” Grif asked. “Or are you staying for a few days?”

“I’m staying a few days. Coach decided to give us all a week off to enjoy the gala, and to allow us some time to mingle before we work off.” She grinned. “The training’s going to be brutal.”

“I’m sure I can find a good reason to spend a few days. Maybe we could have a chance to have dinner, so you can meet everyone in more personal quarters. Or, unless you're entirely stuck in Canterlot, perhaps you’d come back to Unity with me? I could show you the compound that will be your home.”

“I think I can get away for a few days. Call it reconnaissance on the new meat in the meet.” She grinned. “Of course, that will mean you finally get to see a little more of my prowess on the field. And that dinner sounds wonderful. I’m sure the girls are as anxious to know me as I am to know them.”

“I look forward to it.” Grif sighed. “Unfortunately, duty calls,” he said as he locked eyes with Luna in the distance. The princess was gesturing towards a side room door. “I’ll speak with you later, okay?”

“Just don’t go starting any nation-shattering events till after the Equestrian Games, okay?”

Grif laughed as he walked away “Oh, if only you knew,” he mumbled under his breath as he left the room.


Pensword stood at the meat table as he manipulated his wings to pick up some food. He couldn’t stop smiling. So far he had managed to convince a good ten nobles from the neutral party to come over to their side, with a little help from Fancy Pants. He turned around and grinned, exposing his fangs as he stepped aside for a Flight Commander. As a matter of professional courtesy, he gave a curt nod of acknowledgment to the Gryphon delegates standing behind him. “So, fresh from the lands. How was the flight over?” His voice remained flat and unemotional.

“Calmer than we were expecting,” the delegate answered in a semi-polite tone. “Though Celestia's refusal to allow us to find criminal coup supporters is making security difficult.”

Pensword gave the Grpyhon a single arched brow. “So you do not believe that my own troops, or those of the Bladefeathers, or High Chieftess Luna’s own could root out these supporters? How little do you view our own security?”

“Equestria is a wide country,” the Gryphon pointed out. “And you have other nations to the north and the south. It would be very easy for a criminal to disappear for a few weeks and resurface when things calm down to get their revenge.”

Pensword outright laughed in the Gryphon's beak. “We have High Chieftess Luna and our Dream Walkers, and we have the Bladefeathers. I assure you, any who are loyalists to that despotic king will not last three days in these lands.”

“I do appreciate your assurance, Commander, but please understand. Should you be in Gryphonia, surrounded by Gryphons, and some dangerous Pony criminals should be hiding within, I trust you would likewise be ill at ease.”

Pensword gave him a flat expression. “You used my rank, but I think you do not know what it means, and what I can do. I faced Gryphons with more training than you ever had, and I killed them. I hung the Commandant of Fort Triumph from his own gallows. I lived through the Third Gryphon War. If I could not handle one lowlife criminal in another nation, as you put it, then I am a poor commander indeed. Also, I would be baffled at the security of the host nation I was visiting. You serve at the honor of Daedalus. That means that it would be a black mark on all who live and breathe in the security of this nation should we fail to protect you.”

“There is no need to get so defensive. I meant no offense. I was only trying to explain my position as I am,” the Gryphon said.

“And I was hoping you would show more trust in our nation, as I put my trust in Deadalus when I escorted War Prince Bellacosa to meet him.” He chuckled, shaking his head. “At least you did not demand my head when I took my rightful place.”

“Please forgive my husband,” a voice suddenly spoke up as Pensword felt his ear clipped by Lunar Fang’s wing. “Tonight is very stressful on him, and he’s forgotten his diplomacy.” She then proceeded to give Pensword the evil eye.

“If you would excuse me, I think I see Baron Feather over at the ice sculpture. I think I can talk him into some form of support.” He smiled, nodded his head to the both of them, and left the small gathering. “May your time here be fulfilling,” he said over his shoulder. It was difficult to be friendly, but at least he was improving.


“Lord Hammer Strike.” A bland yellow Unicorn that Hammer Strike had not seen yet this night walked up to him quite suddenly. “I have a message for you.”

“From whom?”

“They did not say, only that they must speak with you urgently in the inner gallery.”

Hammer Strike sighed. “Delightful. I’ll head over.”

Hammerstrike found the inner gallery completely empty and darkened. It was far enough away that he could barely make out the gala music from the main ballroom. He sighed to himself as he slowly began a countdown in his head.

He heard hoofsteps as someone approached him from behind. Just as whoever was behind him went to strike, he sidestepped and grabbed the assassin’s hoof, causing the dagger to fall to the ground. He pulled the Pony forward in time to be impaled by two perpendicular crossbow bolts that were meant for him before tossing the body away as it let out a death gurgle. Grabbing the dagger, he tossed it where the bolts had come from, and was gratified by a loud meaty thump. He waited a moment longer. When nothing happened, he knew it had only been the two assailants.

“I wonder who sent them this time around,” Hammer murmured to himself as he shifted the nearest corpse. “And I wonder if they were stupid enough to leave evidence.”

He found a copy of the contract in question, but the name wasn’t one he recognized.

“What do you know? Smarter than Promethean at least.” He sighed. “Great. Now I’ve got to hunt them down, rather than the simple way. Now the question is, what kind of group is NOOB supposed to be?” He pondered as he exited the gallery and began to make his way back to the ballroom.

As Hammer Strike returned to the festivities, a Thestral walked up to him and immediately began a conversation. “Milord,” he spoke with a cheeky smile to show it had been a jest. “I was wondering, when will you be opening up commissions? An officer corp needs fine weapons, and I am willing to commission you for all the high ranking officers of the Dragon Clan. I hope to be the first of what I am sure will be many who come seeking one of your famous blades.”

“Technically, I am always open for commissions. It mostly depends on the individual asking. If possible, in the near future, bring those who need and want the weapons to New Unity. Then I can get to work on it.”

“I will keep that in mind.” He paused. “Are the legends true? Can you judge a Pony’s ideal weapon just by looking at him?”

“Weapon preference is the tricky part, but you can figure a lot out just by stance alone. An example would be with you. A trident seems like something that works well by your structure and stance.”

“I hadn’t thought of that, but if that’s how you feel, then I’ll come see you in a few days to get a trident.”

“I’ll let you use one of my training ones to judge for yourself.”

“Thank you, Hammer Strike.” His eyes widened as he realized he had yet to introduce himself to the smith. “My apologies. I am Scale Wing. It is an honor to meet you in the flesh.”

“A pleasure, Scale. Now, I hate to be off so fast, but I’m afraid I left someone of importance alone.”

“Of course. I shall see you later. In two days time?” he asked with a smile and nod of his head.

“That sounds fine.” Hammer Strike nodded as he made his way across the room to Rarity, who was sitting off to the side.

“Oh, there you are, darling. I was starting to get worried.” She rose and levitated a handkerchief, which she used to daub some blood off of Hammer Strike’s coat. “There we go. The usual assassins, I take it?”

“Only two this time. I’m somewhat disappointed.”

“You really do enjoy these things, don’t you?”

“They are certainly the highlights of the gala.”


“Sorry to take you away from the gala, ladies,” Grif said as he looked around to Luna, Cadence, and Twilight. “But I think some details have come up tonight that would be better for you to know before Luna moves forwards with her plans”

“What hast the Mighty Winds found this time?” Luna asked with a stoic expression.

“I’ve managed to uncover a few things. First off, Baron Blueblood has been forming alliances ever since word of Luna's bill has begun circulating. I think he’s planning to use it to his advantage.”

“Is there some way militarizing Equestria would be advantageous to the nobles?” cadence asked Twilight.

“In olden times, each noble house was given their own personal set of troops to protect their home, valuables, persons, etc. The only time command of those miniature armies was ever given up was in a time of national crisis. Nobles made and broke alliances almost as much as they lied to, stole from, or cheated their subjects. They probably want to be able to throw that kind of weight around again. The nobles can’t hurt anypony right now, since they don’t have any troops to guard themselves, but that can change if they’re given the authority to wield their own soldiers.” Twilight sighed.

“I thought as much.” Grif nodded “I’ve set things in motion for a demonstration that might hopefully demand the unity of a national army over a hundred smaller ones. I’ve also done my best to limit the amount of trained Gryphon mercenaries they can get to train their troops, but I have a feeling that's not going to be enough. Still, we have other issues.”

“Which are?” Luna asked. A small twitch in the corner of her mouth was the only indication of an already scheming mind.

“While the opposition's support base is smaller than I’d feared, it would appear the loyalists are also smaller than we’d hoped,” Grif noted. “Even if tonight gets us some support, this is going to be an uphill battle.”

“What can there be between the loyalists and the opposition?” Twilight asked.

“For starters, we have the bankers and economists. The bankers fear Equestria will require more money than the treasury has to fund the project, and therefore they will have to loan from other nations, and decrease the value of the bit. The economists worry the military will drain the trade resources,” Grif explained.

“And if we can prove otherwise?” Twilight asked.

“I imagine if we can prove that a military can bring in new possible means of trade and value, it would calm some minds.” Grif nodded. “The harder ones will be the older noble houses more … devoted to their faith. You’ve heard of the radicalists who want to remove Sleipnir from the pantheon? They believe a military would bring a rise in Sleipnir popularity amongst the people, and thus weaken their chance to ‘educate the unenlightened.’” He sighed “The thing is, we can’t exactly have the crown supporting the downfall of a deity. That would only make things harder.”

“So? My Ponies see me as the living embodiment of the moon, the warrior goddess,” Luna responded. “I prefered Sleipnir over Faust, myself. However, thou must let them choose their own path. Just because the military will view him with higher favor does not mean they will not call on Faust either.” She sighed. “No matter what happens, the Thestrals will modernize. They will become the military, and they will clamor for Pensword to lead them with me guiding him.”

“Yes. Well, it’s still going to make things difficult. The rest, however, are somewhat easy to counter. More nobles representing parental groups worried that soldiers will send foals the wrong image about violence and such. I’ve already had my agents begin work on campaigns, and setting up ‘military based’ support programs for anti-bullying and the like. Still, if everything goes right, we might leave here tonight with twenty percent of the necessary vote, and you’ve seen enough war to know how often that happens, Luna.”

“I could win battles with just twenty percent. I feel we can win here.”

“Forewarned is forearmed, Princess,” Grif noted. “Why did you three authorize my little project if not to make use of the intelligence we gather? Still, please, when Blueblood interrupts you, act frightened, surprised, even betrayed. Let him think he has you in checkmate, and I promise you I will be your hidden knight.”

“Why?” Luna answered with a smile as she produced a goblet of wine from thin air. “I have two knights. Pensword plans to confront Blueblood when he interrupts my speech. I give it ten bits it is within the first paragraph of the proposal, and I already plan to act offended and frightened. After all, nopony dares to interrupt a princess, and I still have a little of my more timid facade to uphold. However, he is growing bolder. From his slight against Princess Twilight at her coronation to his little club. He is beginning to press beyond his boundaries. And just to clarify, it is Baron Blueblood, not Prince Blueblood, who shall interrupt here. He intends to show who really holds the reins tonight.”

“Princess Luna,” Grif chuckled, “Prince Blueblood is, as we speak, enjoying himself on his yacht somewhere over the southern desert with cool prevailing winds and his latest mistress, despite what the guest list tells you. He never stepped foot in this palace tonight.” Grif winked.

“You may seem gruff and upfront, Grif,” Cadence noted, “but you make a scary spy master.”

Grif only chuckled.

“Wouldst thou reconsider and become my official spymaster of all Equestria?” Luna asked teasingly.

“Princess, if you add a title to it, people will know what I’m doing,” Grif said. “Besides, I need to be unanswerable at points, and you all need plausible deniability.”

“I still feel like leaving Princess Celestia out of this is wrong,” Twilight murmured.

“In due time, my friend. Always in due time. Now, actors, to your places. The curtain rises at midnight,” Grif said, pulling out his watch and tapping it.

“Then that gives you time to compile a list of Ponies I can choose as scapegoats for spymaster. They’ll be like your puppet. I’ll give him or her a desk, and some important paperwork, and a nice paycheck, and that Pony won’t say a word,” Luna said as she downed the rest of her wine in a single gulp before walking towards the exit.

“With all due respect, Princess, why don’t you talk to your chamberlain? You may find I already have the strings in place.” Without another word, Grif slipped away. As the three princesses followed, no one noticed the glint of gold in the evening moonlight behind one of the nearby pillars.

Luna grinned happily as she left with Cadence and Twilight, happy for what Grif was doing. She was going to once again be the Princess who worked from the shadows of the night. And this time she had more then herself to protect ponies from the evils of the dark.


Fox Feather shivered as she found herself alone, something she really wasn’t used to. Worry clawed at her. This was her first noble gathering, and she was here as a guest, not as protection. The only other time she’d been to something like this was during a military ball, and that wasn’t anywhere near this stressful. This was the biggest noble gathering in all of Equestria! She felt small. So much had changed in a thousand years, and she hardly got to see it because she’d been staying with the rest of the unit at New Unity. She managed to maintain her neutral facade, but she still hoped that no one would target her about this bill, let alone try an open discussion.

“Oh, my friend. You look so alone, so lost. Tell me, what is bothering you?” a voice spoke approaching from behind her.

She turned in surprise. “Lady De Lis, I, well… that is, I am….” She folded her ears. “I feel a little out of my depth at the moment.”

“You may not believe this, but I completely understand.”

“You do? I do not believe you,” Fox Feather responded. “You have the air of a noble. You must be perfectly at ease at a gathering like this.”

“I wasn’t born into the life I lead, my friend. Believe it or not, I used to be a combatant myself.”

“You were?” she asked in shock. “Care to talk about it? I think I see a small table in the alcove to sit at.”

As the pair made their way to said table, Fleur began her tale. “I originally was a member of the royal guard. I may not look like guard material, but you’d be surprised how powerful those glamour spells are,” she began as they made their way to the table.

“I–I am impressed. You have the coat for it,” Fox Feather replied. “Does that mean Fancy Pants started as a guard assignment?”

Fleur laughed loudly. “Oh, by Luna, no. He started in politics at a young age. No, he has never been a member of the royal guard.”

“But did you ever get assigned to guard him? What took you out of the guards?”

“Tres bien, my friend. Very clever. Yes, I was indeed assigned to guard him. Fancy Pants was already making enemies at that time with his ideals, and at one point there was an attempt on his life. I was assigned as his bodyguard, and originally I’d preferred to keep things strictly business, as the saying goes. But fancy pants, he would not have that. If he was to have a bodyguard, then he would at least have a bodyguard who was a friend.”

“What happened next?” Fox Feather asked as the pair took their seats. “This sounds like a military fairy tale.”

“I kept my glamour on for over a year, despite his many protests about having such an obvious guard. Honestly the first time I took it off, the shock on his face was incredible,” she laughed.

“Oh? Why was it so shocking?”

“In my armor, I looked like most female guards do, a full foot shorter,” she said with a smile.

“Oh … oh wow. I bet that was a surprise. So what happened next? How did you view him? Did you ever see him as the untouchable stallion standing on a pedestal?”

“Sadly, our relationship was much more the opposite. He was the pursuer, and I was the untouchable one.” She laughed.

Fox Feather gave her a confused look.

“I was a career mare,” Fleur explained. “I was so focused on my future that I couldn’t see what was right in front of my muzzle.”

“In this case, a handsome stallion who loved you?” Fox Feather guessed.

“Yes,” she nodded. Turning her neck to Fox Feather, her horn lit up, and a small patch of fur suddenly vanished, revealing a long jagged scar running from the edge of her mouth to her shoulder. “I nearly didn’t get the chance to see it.”

Fox Feather did not flinch at all. “I am happy that Faust gave you that chance you needed.”

Fleur nodded sadly as her horn glowed and the fur seemingly returned. “I was forced into early retirement. When I got the announcement, I found my blood running cold, not because of my career being halted like I’d thought, but because I was scared I would not see Fancy again.”


“I am guessing you did get to see him again?” Fox Feather replied, grinning widely.

“He came to my bed every day. He only left my side when the orderlies forced him out.” She smiled as a tear ran down her cheek. “We were married exactly one year after I got out of the hospital. It took me far longer to adjust to the nobility I am now a part of, but I would do anything for him.”

“As any mare should for their stallion,” Fox Feather responded.

“And if I can do it for mine, then I am sure that you can do it for yours,” Fleur said as she laid a supporting hoof on Fox Feather’s back.

“Thank you,” Fox Feather said with the beginnings of a smile.

“Any time, darling. Any time.”


Vital Spark smiled pleasantly as he watched the proceedings. Dancing was never his strong suit, and as he had learned only too painfully back at the Crystal Empire, it was best to stay off to the side whenever possible. So he casually sipped his punch and levitated an h'orderve to his face to eat. This one appeared to be a grainy cracker with a dollop of a creamy substance that looked suspiciously like hummus. Tasting it confirmed his suspicions, and he gratefully partook of more, though was careful not to take too many at once.

“So you are the … Pony that clover the clever took for her apprentice,” a voice said skeptically.

Vital Spark turned to face the Pony in question. A large, poofy, curly purple mane that put Twilight’s first fashion disaster to shame nearly swallowed him whole. The mare had bright red eye shadow and extra long lashes, but her rouge was applied so heavily that it turned her face white. He stepped back, aghast, only to bump into her twin. “Um … sorry,” he said. “You startled me.”

“We are Himiko and Nanoha,” the Earth Pony mare said. “I must say, it is surprising to think Clover took you as her apprentice. Do you come from an important family?”

“Not exactly,” Vital said nervously. “I guess you nobles would probably consider me a bit of a charity case. Lord Hammer Strike has been taking care of me after Discord pulled me from my home. Until we can make arrangements for me to return, I will be staying with him at New Unity. He was gracious enough to invite me to tonight’s events. Forgive me for asking, but do I detect a Far Eastern accent?”

“A bit,” a third voice grated almost defensively as a shorter, portly Unicorn stallion approached between the two mares. His garb was smooth and black as his mane. His coat was a charcoal grey with a white underbelly, and streaks of yellow covered his muzzle as he raised his hooves onto either mare’s flanks. A penguin holding an open umbrella over its head stood boldly next to his coat tails on his flank.

Vital Spark stared at the three. An eerie sense of foreboding washed over him as took in their collective visages. He barely held back the shudder that wanted to run through his body. “Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean any offense. My first violin teacher was actually from the Far East. If it weren’t for her, I probably wouldn’t have the dedication and self discipline I’ve developed today.”

“So if you are not from a noble family, then you must have some amazing magical talent?” one of the twins asked.

“I … guess? The truth is, I never received any training before I met Clover. My family … doesn’t really use magic, at least not of that nature.”

“Strange. The most magically gifted Unicorn alive takes you as her student. Isn’t it strange, Nanoha?”

“Very strange,” Himiko replied. Their eyebrows raised with disturbing synchronization.

“Well, she’s actually teaching all the Unicorns at New Unity. I just enrolled in her class. I wasn’t expecting to become her apprentice.” ‘In fact, I only just learned it tonight,’ he thought to himself.

“That's very odd. I mean, Princess Twilight had to show a great feat of magical strength before Celestia took her on as her student.”

Vital shrugged. “Clover isn’t Celestia.”

“True, but it’s still very unusual,” the other mare said.

“I don’t see how. Doesn’t Clover have the right to choose who she will? By the way, I hope you’ll forgive my bluntness, but I don’t think we’ve been formally introduced, Lord … Count … I’m sorry, what rank are you?”

“Count Cobble Pot,” the Pony said bluntly. His eyes glinted with cold calculation as he sized Vital Spark up. “I’m a … I suppose you could call me a tinkerer by trade.” He snickered to himself with a cynical smile.

“A pleasure to meet you, Count.” Vital bowed. “I would never have dreamed of being noticed, let alone addressed by three nobles.”

“Then you probably shouldn’t have entered with the ones you did,” Cobble Pot countered.

“You do have a point.” Vital Spark chuckled nervously. “I’m curious, why do you think she picked me? You’re a noble Unicorn that’s been well trained in magic, right? Do you have any ideas?”

“Who knows?” Cobble Pot shrugged. “It’s all very suspicious, though.”

“What? Are you saying I shouldn’t trust my teacher?”

“I’m merely saying it’s suspicious, that’s all.”

“I’m sorry to say I don’t see how.” The Unicorn shrugged. “If I were looking for suspicious behavior, I’d probably be looking at a big jewelry store that’s been robbed recently, and the list of customers that have been so carefully looking at the merchandise. Then I’d look for the ones that promised to pay top bit as the most precious items were brought out to view before they insulted the manager and left the previous day.”

“Maybe,” Cobble Pot said. His eye twitched and his jaw tensed. Without another word, he and his cohorts did an about face and left.

“Was it something I said?” Vital Spark asked, cocking his head in confusion.


“Hammer Strike, darling, Luna is going to be presenting her bill proposal soon, isn’t she?” Rarity asked as she laid her head lovingly on his shoulder. Her face was scrunched up in deep thought, much like when she was conceptualizing a new design. He knew that look well.

“I believe so, yes.”

Rarity sighed. “You know, part of me wishes tonight wouldn’t end, but the other part of me is already picturing how we can deck this room out for the reception. A few streamers up there, tapestries lining either side, one for your house and one for mine. And then a pair right next to each other on either end. And that’s just for starters.” Her eyes had gone wide and sparkly as she once again took in the dimensions of the room.

“Enjoying the ability to go all out on this?”

“Darling, I have yet begun to design.” She frowned. “But I want you to be comfortable, too. You don’t like all the flare and flash, do you? What were you imagining for the wedding?”

“I’m not sure, honestly. I don’t mind added flash and flare if you wanted it. It’s our wedding, after all. We only get to do this once.”

“That may be true, darling, but I want you to be comfortable. Not minding and comfort are two separate things entirely.” Suddenly her eyes lit up. “Of course! We can do a warrior style theme. Anvils, armor, swords, helmets, bows and arrows, a forge! That way you can feel right at home, and we can both have fun.” She smirked. “Especially if we get the chance to do a little sword play,” she said, winking flirtatiously.

“That sounds like a great idea,” Hammer Strike smiled before bowing his head down to kiss her on the forehead. Rarity immediately proceeded to blush and giggle like a little girl.

“Forgive me, my dear,” a familiar voice spoke up, “but did I hear that wedding preparations are being made?”

Rarity’s mane frizzled briefly before returning to its normal position. “Fancy Pants! I … that is, we didn’t know that you were–We were just…. Ohhh, I suppose the cat’s out of the bag now, isn’t it?”

Fancy Pants smiled “If you want it kept quiet, I won’t tell a soul, my dear lady. Congratulations.” He took her hoof and shook it gently. “And you as well, Hammer Strike. I hope you’re both very happy.” He offered his hoof to Hammer Strike.

“We are.” Hammer Strike grinned as he shook Fancy Pants’ hoof. “And now that I think about it, you have ways of spreading information, don’t you?”

“Well, yes, of course,” Fancy Pants said. “But sometimes, as they say, the old ways are the best,” he noted, levitating three glasses of champagne over. “With your permission, of course.”

Rarity looked at Hammer Strike, and they both nodded. “Just a moment, Fancy Pants. There’s one last thing I need to do.” She pulled out an intricately carved wooden box and opened it, then removed her ring from her horn before replacing it with the gold, jewel-encrusted band hammer Strike had forged for her so many centuries ago. “If we’re going to announce the engagement, a girl should be wearing her engagement ring.” She smiled, taking her glass and nodding her assent to continue.

“My lords and ladies,” Fancy Pants spoke. His voice boomed over the ballroom as his horn glowed to amplify it. There was little need, as every head in the room immediately turned to face him. The popularity and good sense of Fancy Pants was legendary, after all. “It is the belief of some of our walk of life that we are not allowed to marry for love, which makes it all the more beautiful when two wayward hearts find each other. If you would please raise your glasses in a toast,” he requested. The room was quite suddenly, and magically, awash with glasses.

Fancy Pants cleared his throat. “It is my great pleasure to publicly announce, and to toast, the engagement of Lord Hammer Strike and Lady Rarity. May their years be long, and their happiness boundless.” He lifted his glass, and so as not to look goash or fall out of his favour, or perhaps because of genuine care, the occupants of the room echoed his sentiments as they lifted their own glasses before taking a drink, which was followed by the enthusiastic stomping of hooves. With a wink to Avalon and Shrial, Grif tapped the side of his glass gently. The other two followed. He shot a conspiratorial glance towards Pensword, who soon had his family echoing the action, which had begun to spread to other tables until there was a loud ringing of crystal.

“What are you waiting for? Kiss her already!” Grif shouted over the din.

Without much more delay, Hammer Strike let loose a grin that caused a collective shudder to run through the gathering before he pulled Rarity in for a passionate kiss.

Luna shot Celestia a somewhat uneasy glance as she turned away from the sight.

Celestia simply gaped. “Hammer Strike and Rarity? Our Hammer Strike? And Rarity?”

“I find it somewhat … offputting to observe the stallion who raised us kissing a mare less than a tenth our age,” Luna noted quietly. “Is this what foals feel like when they observe their parents kissing?”

“Let us never speak of this again,” Celestia suggested.

“Agreed,” Luna said, looking awkwardly at the pair. “I must … go prepare.” She immediately made her way out from the room.

“That reminds me,” Celestia said as she walked over to Clover’s table, where she was happily enjoying a slice of honey glazed ham. “Clover, might I have your ear for a moment? There’s something I wish to discuss, and I’m afraid it can’t wait.”

“What is it, your highness?”

Celestia proceeded to whisper into her ear, and a sinister grin spread across Clover’s face.

“This is going to be good.” Then she let loose a malevolent chuckle.


It was midnight, and the gala was scheduled to end at one o’clock specifically, so it was now or never for Luna as she prepared her presentation. Seven of her best Thestral guards had been outfitted in Hammer Strike’s new platemail with full arms assigned to each one. They marched into the room, four behind her, each in perfect step, as they had rehearsed several times. Luna herself had changed from her gown into her ursa bone battle armor, looking every inch the warrior queen with Meteor Impact hovering in her magical grip like a staff. The room became instantly quiet as the party approached the center of the room. Nobles clamored around, muttering either admiringly or in contempt, concern, or overall confusion. Whatever the case may have been, nopony could ignore the display as the party took their place in the center of the room.

“Hear ye, hear ye!” Captain Night Shade growled in his loudest voice. Numerous eye witnesses would later claim his face was so stern his eyepatch was glaring. “Her royal highness, Princess of the Moon, Co-ruler of Equestria, High Chieftess of the Thestral Clans, and Ruler of the city of Ys, Princess Luna Artemis Demeter Galaxia wishes to address you. Incline your ears, and hear Her Highness speak.”

“Thank you, Captain,” Luna said, nodding with respect to the Thestral before taking a sweeping glance of the room. “Lords, ladies, honored friends, visiting dignitaries. Equestria has for too long laid in a fragile state where a mixture of misplaced fear and clever diplomacy has kept our nation balancing on the edge of a knife. The attack on our fair city of Canterlot, I’m sure, still resonates within the memory of all. The threat of Chrysalis and her Changelings still remains in the Badlands, as well as the possibility of more hives. The Diamond Dogs to the south have been encroaching on our territories for too long, stealing our resources, and kidnapping our citizens for cruel forced labour. Monsters and horrors run rampant in any area not wealthy enough to afford a guard post or to hire local mercenaries.”

She looked around, her gaze showing no fear. “Worse yet, foreign correspondence has revealed trouble in Gryphonia with an attempted coup, the would-be-usurper having had aims towards attacking our fair nation. In the Stampede Grounds the tribes vie for war. With whom can only be decided with time, and you may be certain Equestria is amongst the list of possible targets. Currently, prospects are grim, with only our guard forces to defend us. We cannot secure our alliances, we cannot protect our trade caravans, and sadder still, we cannot secure our own borders.”

Luna paused to let her words sink in for a moment, letting every Pony, Gryphon, and so on in the audience truly drink in the gravity of her speech. From the crowd, Grif nodded approvingly. Pensword stood in another section, his face grim, but his eyes shining at the excitement he knew was about to happen. His body instinctively shifted to a more military stance as he casually scanned the audience for any dissenters or assassins. Hammer Strike grinned as he heard her speak. Vital Spark looked intently at Princess Luna as he took in what she had to say. He’d known this speech was coming for quite some time, so he remained calm, even as a low murmur began to spread over the crowd. Baron Blueblood stood in his own little space, surrounded by his followers. He watched with just a hint of a smile as his eyes scanned hungrily for the reaction to the news that he knew was coming. He had changed since the last time Pensword had seen him. The Pony noble looked a little more gaunt in the cheeks, as if he had just gotten over an illness. Five element bearers looked on in confusion at Twilight as Luna continued to speak. Just what was the princess planning? And if Twilight knew, why hadn’t she told them?

“Now some of you may say, ‘but Princess, we have you and Celestia and the Elements of Harmony to save us.’ To this I say my sister has disavowed the path of war. She has made her vows before Faust, and while she would fight to defend you, she has sworn away from open warfare. As for myself, I am still but one Pony, and I cannot fight an entire war. And as for the Elements of Harmony, they are not a weapon, and are incapable of violent acts.” Luna blurred. In an instant she was at Fluttershy’s side, and with nary a flick of her magic, Meteor Impact’s ursa claw spike stood with the point pressing against the shy Pony’s jugular. Fluttershy whimpered. “In one action, I will have disabled the elements for an entire generation,” Luna said, accompanied by the gasps of the Ponies around her. “United, they are powerful, but if even one is removed, they are useless.” Luna looked apologetically at Fluttershy, then returned to the center of the room in less than a second while Fluttershy squeaked and hid behind Rainbow Dash.

“And so, that is why tonight, at this gala we celebrate before the running of the leaves, that I do propose the remilitarization of Equestria. We propose the training of soldiers, sappers, archers, snipers, siege engineers, naval warriors, and yes, an air force. Let us look at the threats directed toward our land, and let us answer them as one. ‘No mas!’” She brought her hammer down, decimating several floor tiles and sending a crack like thunder through the room. After a long pause, she gestured to one of her escort, who pulled out a scroll, pen, and inkwell before posing to record. The floor was officially open for questions.

The other Thestrals banged their own weapons or stomped their armored shoes into the ground, voicing their agreement. When the hubbub had dropped to a more reasonable level, the first questions began. The first one came from the back, a mare, judging by the sound of her voice, and it was one Luna was only too familiar with.

“We recognize Countess Summer Breeze,” Luna said. “What is your question?”

Summer Breeze scowled. “How can you expect to pay for all of this? If the coffers aren’t able to fund the children’s safety net, how can it fund a whole military?”

“We have set aside half of our personal fortune to this pursuit as a foundation, and received generous sums from other sources. Granted, in the end, it would require allocating some of the tax funds towards this pursuit, but if you believe your safety blankets would stop the weapons of our enemies, please bring one before us, and hold it in front of your breast. I am sure everypony here would love to see its mystical strength against the might of Meteor Impact. Or perhaps we should start with something smaller, like a dagger or a dirk, and work our way up. Surely then you can prove to us the protection it can offer.”

Summer Breeze verbally sucked in her breath. “How…? I am talking about the future of the mental well being of our children!”

“And I am assuming they shall be alive and free to enjoy that safety, Countess,” Luna countered somewhat impatiently. “Or are you storing this gold for the Minotaurs? Maybe the Gryphons? Perhaps you have a soft spot for Diamond Dog pups? Tell me, Countess, is the life of your daughter worth your ambitions?”

Summer Breeze went silent. “I ... am sure we can come to an agreement in your personal chambers.”

“I’m sorry, Countess, but as this matter effects all the population of Equestria, all matters pertaining to it will be made in public record,” Luna said.

Grif tapped Summer Breeze gently on the shoulder and whispered into her ear. Whatever he said seemed to appease her issues for the present.

“How will you choose who should lead this army?” Lord Cookie spoke up. “Is that a matter of public record, too?” The tone was almost accusing.

“Should this bill be put through, each court shall place one candidate for an examination. The highest scoring candidate shall gain the post.” It was obvious to everypony who the Lunar and Crystal candidates would be. That only left the lords to squabble over who the Solar Court would put forward, a masterful play by Luna.

“Does Princess Twilight have her own candidate?” Another noble from House Jade called out. “Or will she override us in the Solar Court?”

Twilight suddenly looked more like a filly than a regal princess. Fortunately, Luna didn’t leave her hanging.

“Currently, Princess Twilight has been under the protection of Lord Hammer Strike,” Luna reminded them. “It has been agreed that she will support the Crystal candidacy for this.”

“Will there be any incentives for towns to support this?” Stalliongrad spoke up in his thick accent. “What of the officers? Who trains? Or will it be coming only from the nobles?” His tone of voice clearly showed which he favored.

“Aside from the guaranteed protection from monsters and Diamond Dog raiding parties, the need for military production will lead to the creation of new jobs nationwide, as will the need to feed the army well, which will mean new subsidies and tax benefits for farmers who sell to the military at a fair price,” Luna said. “Anything more is above my current power to promise.” She sighed, bracing herself for what she knew would not be a very popular subject. “To address your inquiry, Stalliongrad, the promotion of officers will be decided by merit and talent as deemed fit by the commander in question, myself, and a qualified officer near the level of the officer under review. Field promotions will, of course, be respected unless the troops are informed otherwise after a fair review.”

“I can’t believe that they are going with the Pegasus traditions,” Baron Blueblood called out, drawing attention to him as he stepped forward. “I leave my sick bed to hear this drivel? Why, I bet you have Earth Pony traditions and Thestral, but what traditions from the Unicorns do you plan include? If you truly wish to institute the old ways, then harmony must be respected,” he insisted before breaking into a coughing fit.

“We have been integrating many of the Unicornian mage tactics fairly well, Baron Blueblood, and have already worked out a second hierarchy for spell casters, and its interaction with the chain of command,” Luna noted.

“If I may, then, I would like to present a list of Mages to be considered for leadership positions. As the head of one small, informal alliance amongst the noble houses, I have been made privy to those who bear such talents for spellcraft.” He levitated a scroll from his jacket pocket to the princess. “It is my hope that they will each be given a fair chance, and should they not prove up to the task, that they be allowed to be trained under a superior mage to help them improve.”

“Your suggestions will be considered, Baron, but talent must be put before birthright.” Luna let her face go a bit pale, and feigned surprise and worry. She’d hunted fox before. She knew how to lure one out. Her eyes caught Grif’s for a second, and in that moment, all that was needed to be said was, as Grif signaled a serving mare nearby. Her yellow eyes flashed a turquoise blue, and she made her way out of the room.

“I did say verified, of course,” Baron Blueblood responded with equal show of surprise. “I can understand your position only too well. This is a turbulent time, and with a bill like this, one might realize old rights. Tell me, Princess, how will the old rights of houses mustering their own forces be handled? Will the houses still be required to pay for the troops themselves, arm them, and armor them, as well as feed them in the field? Or will the Crown subsidize them?” The implications of that bold question were only too clear to the nobles, both major and minor. Only the wealthy could afford to raise troops of significant numbers.

Luna smirked internally, even as she forced herself to look like she was starting to sweat. Blueblood’s hoof was on the noose. Just a step further... “W-well, Baron, s-such details are decided by the House of Lords, of course,” she said meekly. “You, of all the lords, know that is the law.”

“Then I wish to propose–” Baron Blueblood began, smiling, only to frown as a sudden ruckus from the halls drowned out whatever he had planned to say.

“PRINCESS LUNA! PRINCESS CELESTIA!” Grif shouted as he burst into the crowd. Four guards trailed behind him carrying something wrapped in a large sheet. He held a sheet of parchment in his claws, and was about to speak when he seemed to be distracted by something in Blueblood’s direction. His face melted to sorrow. “Oh Winds damn me, I’m too late. It’s already too late,” he said, his face the picture of torment.

“What are you babbling on about, Gryphon?” Blueblood snapped, showing Grif the same respect he would show the delegates from Gryphielhelm. Regardless, his voice had taken on a shaky tone. When a Gryphon says he or she is too late, it does not bode well for the one to whom they are speaking.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, Baron, but you're already dead.” Grif sighed as he pointed to a black dot on the baron’s neck. “All of you look, and tell me if you spot a dot. It should be just a tiny little speck on your fur.”

“Come again?” Baron Blueblood asked. “Is this some trick or test?” He asked. “If so, then it’s in very poor taste, Grif.” He turned around and glared at his fellow Noobs. Regardless, they had little choice but to follow the game, or else risk showing a callous disregard for life. Like it or not, they had been outplayed. “Well, you heard the Gryphon. Look!” he shouted. It was one of the few times anypony had ever heard the baron raise his voice, which caused more than a little commotion as Ponies looked at their own necks or the necks of those beside them.

“I just intercepted word from one of the guard units. I had been asked, on Hammer Strike’s orders, to send out troops to patrol Canterlot's entrances. They discovered a dead guard pony mare, as well as the body of a Minotaur. They naturally couldn’t lift the Minotaur, but they felt that this was urgent enough to show the princesses when they had finished analyzing the victims’ blood content,” Grif said, signaling to the guards. They unwrapped the sheet, revealing a dead guard mare covered in large lumps. Several patches of fur were missing, and multiple sores oozed a sickly yellow fluid. “My princesses, I am sorry to say that someone has snuck into the gala impersonating a Minotaur delegate, and assassinated anyone here marked with the venom of a whomping hinkypunk.”

Luna’s face went deathly pale.

Blueblood paused. “Is this some forgotten beast from the Everfree?” He noticed the murmuring as it grew to a dull roar. More and more stallions and mares appeared stricken with grief and self pity. “A simple marking would...” he trailed off. “How could this happen?”

“It is no simple beast,” Luna said sternly, her expression grave as she locked onto Baron Blueblood. “It is, by far, one of the worst horrors we have faced: a small beast, unimposing, with a single foot and eight gleaming eyes. It waits until its victim is alone before injecting them with just a small bit of venom. They live in bogs, you see, and once they’ve injected you, you will die. It’s only a matter of when.” Luna looked sullen. “Their venom kills slowly, you see. This mare probably was injected when she stopped to camp while escorting the dignitary. When they slept, the fiend must have injected them, and then stolen the dignitary’s credentials.” She shook her head sadly. “Oh, what a horrible way to die. And so agonizing, too. The poor things must have been immobilized for hours, if not days, before they passed.”

“Well get us an antidote then! Or surely there must be a counter spell,” one of the noble ladies demanded.

“I’m afraid that there is no cure,” Clover the Clever said, her head hanging low to conceal the smirk on her face. “No antidote has ever been able to save a Pony, even right after injection. And healing magic, or any higher concentration of magic for that matter, only makes the process more painful. I don’t envy the Unicorns in the room.”

“What are the symptoms?” a stallion asked, his eyes wide as his body shook. He was clearly on the verge of hysteria.

“It differs from Pony to Pony, but the more common ones are the constant feeling of a chill or a draft–”

A mare who had just prior to this announcement commented her friend about the draftiness of the ballroom went deathly pale.

“–Fever,” Grif noted as several stallions and their mare partners that had been dancing animatedly wiped their warm foreheads.

“–Dehydration,” Clover continued. A crowd moved towards the punch bowl.

“Feelings of fatigue,” Grif went on. In the panic, none of the nobles had taken the time to stop and remember they had been at the party for over six hours, and should be tired. “And in rare cases, the poison causes the infected to faint.” No sooner were the words out of Grif’s beak when several nobles of both genders proceeded to flop to the floor in a swoon.

“Of course, these are only the initial symptoms. I don’t have the heart to describe the mid to later symptoms,” Grif said, pretending to skim the page with a look of pity and disgust. “But greater still, what's to become of Equestria?” he asked.

“What indeed? I’ve already spotted the mark on several important figures. The minister of the Treasury and his assistants, and their assistants; the Ministers of Foreign Affairs; the head of the House of Lords. It will take us months to stabilize the infrastructure again,” Luna noted.

“But surely you’ve planned for emergency measures?” Grif asked, this time eyeing Celestia.

“We do indeed; however,” she never got to finish her sentence as she suddenly collapsed, a radiant corona of heat bursting from her body as she cried out in pain.

Grif was about to move until he noticed Celestia’s floor-facing eye catch his, and give the slightest wink.

“There’s only one substance known to Pony or any creature that could lay an alicorn low,” Clover said seriously, even as her horn finished its scan. “She’s been exposed to the Flames of Tartarus. Celestia will be dead within twenty four hours.”

This time, the room practically exploded in panic.

“Without Celestia, what shall we do?” a lord cried.

Another guard entered the room and ran up to Princess Luna, passing her a scroll. Her eyes widened in shock as she read it. “The Changelings are attacking from the Badlands!” she cried causing the crowd to gasp.

As this happened, another guard ran in carrying an identical scroll. “The Gryphon seditionists are attacking with Minotaurs!”

“We must rally a defense!” one of the very few unmarked nobles shouted.

“With what?” Luna asked him.

“We have the guard,” came a hopeful reply.

“A few hundred undertrained Ponies against three separate armies on two fronts?” Luna asked.

“Then form an army!” someone shouted.

“But you have given me no authority to form an army,” Luna noted.

The room was cold and silent as the air of hopelessness washed over them like a tsunami. Many of the nobles completely necessary to the country would be dead by morning with many others following soon after. Changelings from the north, Minotaurs and Gryphons from across the sea, a few hundred guards, and no soldiers. Things indeed seemed pretty bleak.

“Alright, y’all.” A familiar voice cut through everyone's thoughts. “You’ve had yer fun. Now I think it’s time to explain all this,” Applejack said, stomping her hoof indignantly. The other nobles looked confused as they stared at the element of honesty.

Luna chuckled. “All right, Applejack.” Then she turned to address the audience as Celestia rose to join her. Smiling proudly at her younger sister, Celestia placed a supportive wing on Luna’s back, even as Luna began her address.

“Ponies of Equestria, you have just taken part in a very accurate dramatization of what could really happen if the country is not without a competent standing military force with a notable hierarchy not controlled by squabbling nobles arguing over whose banner should be held highest.”

She took the opportunity to smile smugly at Baron Blueblood as he began to realize he’d been played.

“In one attack, the country that has stood for over two thousand years becomes helpless. Our enemies, smelling the blood in the water, encroach upon us. And by the time we can organize the meagerest of defences, we are already too late. I ask you that when you leave tonight, go home and hug your loved ones, tuck in your foals by yourselves for once, and think very hard if you're really willing to gamble their lives on your ambitions, because as a very wise friend of mine once told me–” she looked at Pensword, but her stare looked past him to Matthew. “–United, we stand. Divided, we fall.”

Celestia nodded in approval. “My sister and I may well be strong, we may well be powerful, and your houses may be as well, but we are all mortal in our own ways, and we all have our weaknesses to face. Until we look at these weaknesses as one body, united in the purpose of protecting our loved ones, then our nation will continue to remain vulnerable, and the lives of the subjects we have both come to love and cherish will be at risk. We cannot stand by and allow this to happen. My Lords and Ladies, I urge you to consider my sister’s words. Though she may appear young, her knowledge and wisdom stretches well over a thousand years. Her reasoning is sound, and the course clear. I add my voice to hers, and urge you to put aside your petty squabbles, your struggles for wealth and power. Equestria is a nation that was founded on the principles of harmony, on kindness, laughter, honesty, loyalty, generosity, and the magic of friendship. These elements must be embodied in all of us if we are to truly succeed. I sense turbulent times ahead. Let us be properly prepared for them, so that we need not see our little Ponies suffer again.”

The majority of the people in the ballroom dispersed in a somewhat quiet fashion. Some were somber. Others where contemplative. But a few, notably one Baron Blueblood, were livid. When the last of the normal nobles left, the guards, the “corpse,” and more than half the serving staff reverted to their Changeling forms, all perfectly healthy.

“Great job, everyone,” Grif said, taking the time to go and clap each individual Changeling on the back in approval. “Make sure to tell the queen that you all made her proud tonight.”

“Big Guns hasn’t had this much fun in a long time,” the Minotaur said as he approached Grif from his hiding place behind one of the walls. Had he been present when the presentation took place, the chaos would have undermined the speech, and he likely would have either been dead, or had to kill many a Pony in self defense. “But at the same time, Big Guns can’t help but wish there was a fight. Is that a bad thing?”

“Minotaurs are a fighting people,” Grif said as he clapped Big Guns’ wrist. “Thanks for your help, my friend.” He passed Big Guns a bag of bits, and refused to let him refuse it.

With the dealings finished and thanks exchanged, Grif turned to Pensword. “Sorry for the deception, but it was kind of a need-to-know thing.”

“Do you know that if it wasn’t for three ‘Thestrals,’” he spoke, Grif could tell that those three were really changelings. “I was going to be calling on troops and act on the scrolls, correct? It may be a training exercise, but I really do not like the thought of not acting. Though I do have to ask. Who thought of Princess Celestia and the Flower of Tartarus? I knew you had something planned, but getting Celestia on board, I am impressed.”

“Frankly,” Grif said, turning to said princess, “I’m wondering about that as well.”

“Now Grif,” Celestia said with a playful smile. “A good princess never reveals her secrets.” Then she winked.

“Still, my sister, it would seem we have a few things to discuss in the future,” Luna noted.

“Speaking of that, Princess Celestia, I’m going to need some papers drawn up for a business, and the right to print shares in said business,” Grif said.

“And what business would that be?” Celestia asked.

“Um … call it High-end Innovative Visual Entertainment. I need thirty shares in it for Lady Summer Breeze in return for her support and relative silence.”

“For what exactly?”

“Well the stock value would, I’m sure, be a great investment for her safety nets.” Grif shrugged. “Once the stock gets value anyways.”

“And how do you intend to fund this business of yours?”

“Equestria has theaters and short length animated features. Tell me, Celestia, do you think an hour long animated movie would have any value here?”

“It’s difficult to say. You would have to make it very convincing. My first question still stands, though. Do you have enough funds for your initial investment?”

“You know any museums interested in Third Gryphon War period Gryphon statuettes and artifacts, some of which may be made of gold? I may have a few dozen pieces hidden away for a rainy day.”

“Assuming you can produce them and acquire the funds necessary, then yes, I can easily give you the permit.”

“You’d better make me a part of your writing crew, Grif,” Vital said.

“I’ll see if I can squeeze you in between ‘Ling 920 and ‘Ling 780,” Grif chuckled.

Pensword cocked an eyebrow. “Might need to tap you for animated how-to videos for training purposes.” He paused. “If I think, well … the memories of who you might be drawing inspiration from that is. I will need your staff to do standardized training films.”

“We’ll talk,” Grif said with a yawn. “For now I think it’s time we bunker down for the night.”

“Just need to load everyone onto the Gantrithor, drop off the Elements in Ponyville, and then we can dock at New Unity,” Hammer Strike commented. “Oh, and by the way, might need someone to clean up the inner gallery,” he directed to Celestia and Luna.

“Who attacked you this time?” Luna growled out as she levitated her hammer. “Was it the Gryphons? Or have the Minotaurs finally become brave enough to challenge you outside their fields again?”

“Nah. It was just two Pony assassins hired by an organization here in Canterlot under the acronym NOOB. Didn’t get very far, and I am somewhat disappointed it was only two.” He frowned.

Grif burst out laughing at the acronym. Luna, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie soon followed. Even Fluttershy giggled a bit. Vital Spark barely managed to contain himself, though his smile said it all.

PreviousChapters Next