• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 19,456 Views, 2,467 Comments

An Extended Holiday - Commander_Pensword



Adventure, Mayhem, Magic of unknown origins, and talking colorful Ponies. All being unrelated events have brought three friends together into the wildest holiday that anyone could imagine.

  • ...
69
 2,467
 19,456

PreviousChapters Next
81 - Yeah, I’m not wearing those!

Extended Holiday
Ch 81: Yeah, I’m not wearing those!
Act 10


Grif chuckled as Twilight attempted to order oats on her latte. It was after school, and the group had gone to the Sugar Cube Café in order to sit down and discuss the situation. Grif had fortunately texted Hammer Strike in advance, explaining that they would be walking home and be late for important “saving Equestria kinda reasons.” He could have sworn the font had been monotone when he received the expected “meh” in response.

Pensword and Lunar Fang had engaged in a debate with Pinkie Pie over the fact that Pensword had somehow gotten ahold of a large mug of Earl Grey, while she was drinking her fourth large mug of hot chocolate. Lunar Fang rolled her eyes as she sipped her coffee.

Grif smiled as he approached the counter just in time to hear Twilight's collision with Flash Sentry. Turning his head to make sure no one was hurt, he let the two talk as he looked to Mrs. Cake.

“So…”

“Oh my, dearie. Before you start, I’m going to guess that you're here from overseas, right?” Mrs. Cake asked. Grif nodded quietly, somewhat shocked. “Then I think I’d better warn you we don’t carry a lot of the expensive imported coffees,” she said apologetically.

“Not a problem, madame,” Grif said, throwing his hands up. “All I wish is a second of whatever my friend had and an extra large hot chocolate… with a shot of raspberry… and possibly a sprinkle of cinnamon and chili pepper? With whipped cream, please,” he said meekly. When did his taste get so… demanding?

Fortunately, it seemed Mrs. Cake was used to such orders. She didn’t beat so much as an eyelash as she prepared the drinks. Grif thanked her and paid, coming back to the group in time to see a blushing Twilight get lectured by the others.

“Uh-uh,” Rarity said. “You're already trying to take her crown. I’d hate to see what Sunset Shimmer would do if you got her ex-boyfriend as well.”

Pensword suddenly choked on his tea while Lunar Fang patted him on the back. “How deep do this woman’s claws reach?” he hacked out.

“She’s had three years to sink them in,” Grif pointed out as he placed the new drink before Twilight.

Twilight seemed flustered by this “I’m not trying to… I don’t even know... we just accidentally…! Ex-boyfriend?”

“Flash broke up with her a few weeks ago. I can’t believe she hasn’t done something awful to him yet!” Fluttershy explained.

“Well, at least we know he has some sense,” Grif said.

“Maybe she’s just waiting until she has the power to do something really awful to him,” Twilight said quietly.

“Alright, girl... everybody, the dance is a little under three and a half days away, and we still don’t know how we’re gonna get Twilight the votes she needs to be named princess. Folks only know Twilight from the videos Sunset Shimmer posted online. We need to help people see her differently,” Applejack said.

“Well, as for the video,” Grif said as he worked his phone, “I’ve recruited one Vinyl Scratch and one Neon Lights to… reconfigure the video to show Twilight in a more positive light, so that’s a start.”

“Good. That’s going to help,” Pensword said. “However, we need something to pop. Something to get the school energized and…” he paused as he snapped his fingers. “A song!” he shouted, only to be hushed by the others. “Well, a song might work.” He looked to the others with a knowing smirk.

Grif’s eyes were mirrored surprisingly by Lunar Fang as they both glared icly at him over their drinks. “I take it you have some more to this? Because this hardly sounds like the situation.” Lunar fang raised an eyebrow at her husband.

“Of course,” Pensword replied. “But in high school, you have to do something flashy, something to be remembered and talked about, like in the school I went to. Some of the pranks were hilarious, ranging from sheep being let loose on the field to a few other things. These are teenagers we’re talking about here. We have to have something flashy and great to start the campaign.” His facial expression darkened. “There is no time for subtle strikes at the power base. We have to hit with all the force of a great typhoon.” Pensword steepled his fingers in front of his face as he put his elbows on the table. “That is why we will strike at lunch tomorrow.”

“I’ve got it!” Rarity stood up dramatically before blushing as she saw the reactions of her friends. She cleared her throat. “I mean I may have a solution. Now, this is an absolutely preposterous idea, but…” Rarity bent over to her bag and pulled out several pairs of pony-eared headbands and tails on sashes. They were all colored in vibrant blue and yellow. “What if we all wore these as a sign of unity?” The attempt not to laugh that was clearly written on Grif’s face made her realize the need for more exposition. “During our freshmen year they were very, very popular; a way for everybody to show school spirit! You know, ‘Go Canterlot Wondercolts!’” Grif raised an eyebrow as Rarity's stance became dejected. “Ahem, I haven’t sold any in ages. I mean, the bunch of us are all very different, but deep down we’re all Canterlot Wondercolts! Sunset Shimmer is the one who divided us. Twilight Sparkle is the one who united us, and we’re going to let everyone know it! What do you think?”

“I like it,” Pensword said, extending an expectant hand. “I’ll wear a pair.” He got three kisses on the cheek again as Lunar Fang looked on with pride.

“For the sake of Twilight’s campaign, I will as well,” Lunar Fang said.

“You have my support, Rarity. Hell, we’ll even pay you for them, but as a matter of pride, I will not wear them,” Grif said. “It would feel… wrong.”

“How long have you two been together?” Rarity asked, staring at Lunar Fang and Pensword after their little makeout session.

“What do you mean?” Lunar Fang asked with a cryptic smile.

“Well, y’all are always together, and all over each other,” Applejack noted.

“With those neat matching rings, you’d almost figure the two of you were….” the group fell silent for a moment, and the Equestrian visitors were sure they heard a series of clicks.

“You two are... married?” Rarity gasped.

“Yes…” Pensword answered before he realized the problem. “I, well…”

Lunar Fang smiled. “Our parents gave us permission. Where we come from, we can marry young if our parents consent.”

“It also helps that I happen to get royalties from two books I have written that are used in college universities,” Pensword whispered, looking at his plate.

“Wow,” Pinkie said, “You two have to be the youngest married couple I’ve ever met! That’s amazing!”

Lunar Fang and Pensword buried their laughter by kissing each other.


Vital Spark walked nervously down the now deserted halls of the school as he looked over the note he’d received once again.

Vital Spark,

I am writing this to you because Miss Silver Note has assigned me to help you catch up on the orchestra’s program. If you have the time, please meet me after school in the music room. We’ll work on organizing a schedule for practice times and get to know each other a little better. Many thanks.

Yours Truly,

Octavia Melody

“The things a guy has to do to readjust. This is just like my first move back when I was seven.” He chuckled at the fond memories. “Well, at least I’m a little better at getting the job done than I was back then.” With that finished, he pulled his new music folder up to his chest with one arm and pushed open the doors to the music room with the other. “Um… Octavia? Miss Melody? I’m here.” He stepped through. “Hello?”

“Octavia couldn’t make it,” a familiar voice spoke up as Sunset Shimmer entered his field of vision. “You’ll have to make do with little old me.”

“And you are…?” Vital asked. “I don’t think I recall seeing you in the orchestra when I first arrived. Oh, wait a moment, you’re that girl I met by the gym, aren’t you? You know, I never did get your name.” He smiled as he made his way towards the storage closet to grab his new school violin.

“You’re very convincing, Vital Spark,” she said cooly. “You play at home here a lot better than your other friends.”

“I’m just a little more easy going, I suppose. It helps with the adjustment. Culture is a little different over here compared to home, but Mister Strike sent me some pointers before I arrived.” He pulled down the case and emerged, clutching it by the handle. “So, are we setting up over there, or do you prefer to practice while standing?”

“Whatever your little group is planning, it won’t work,” she said. “The crown will be mine.”

Vital Spark sighed. “Alright, Sunset, how about you level with me and I’ll level with you? I really hate lying, and keeping up an act like this is really uncomfortable for me. First of all, there’s no real huge plan that I know of. At least not yet. Secondly, what’s the deal with the fixation on the crown? I mean seriously, it didn’t even exist when you left your world in the first place, so why are you so obsessed with it now?”

“It should have been mine!” Sunset growled. “Amongst all the promises that were made by Celestia to me, the crown was the greatest!”

“So what happened?” Vital asked, pulling up a chair for himself, then grabbing a second. He motioned to the empty chairs with the grace of a gentleman.

“At first, everything was fine, even when she took Twilight as a student, but as time went on, everything she promised me, everything she said I would do... she started to claim Twilight would do it.” She slumped a bit into a seat.

“And you felt betrayed by that.” Vital Spark sat for a time and looked at Sunset. He’d seen that look many times on his mission before he’d returned to his regular life and got sucked into all this. “When did she start changing?”

“About a year after she took in Twilight Sparkle,” Sunset said. “She had all these notes on these other ponies who were involved and she started getting obsessed with this grand scheme of hers.”

“Do you know why she was so obsessed, Sunset?”

“I found out after I started in Canterlot High. She did all this unnecessary cloak and dagger garbage to save Nightmare Moon.”

“Do you have any family back in Equestria, Sunset?”

“Not anymore.” Sunset sighed.

“I don’t have any either, well, not biological. But I did have some family elsewhere. Two sisters, a brother, and two parents. When I was younger, I hurt my little sister. I made her cry, and I made her retreat to her room. You have no idea how horrible that made me feel. I was willing to do anything, anything at all to take back what happened, but I couldn’t. All I was able to do was apologize. For me, it wasn’t so bad because my little sister was still with me. Celestia had to banish her own sister to the moon for a millennium because she was blind like I was once. And she had to live with that guilt for all those years.

“Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying it excuses her actions. She did do some wrong. And if what you say is true, that you chose to leave because she dropped you like a hot potato, then I’d say you were justified. But it does give you some perspective and understanding into her obsession. I’d like to ask you a few things, just so I can get the straight of it, though. I’d heard you got involved in some very dangerous magics before you left, magics that could have caused you and many others harm. Is there any truth to this?”

Sunset scoffed as she got to her feet. “I knew what I was doing. I’m not some stupid foal who gets in over her head to impress others. I never reached for magic I couldn’t perform.” She shoved her chair back, knocking it over as she made her way to leave. “Tell your friends to back off. This isn’t Equestria. Things work my way here.” With that said, she stormed out of the room.

Vital Spark sighed. “Oh, Sunset. I wish you could see what you’re doing. In the end, you’ll only hurt yourself.” His eyes hardened as he picked up the chair and slammed it down on top of the others. “But I’ll be damned before I let you destroy Harmony.”


“Hammer Strike, are you home?” Grif asked as they let themselves in.

“What’s up?”

“How’s it going?” two of the same voice responded.

“...Just so we’re clear, there are two of them, right?” Grif asked, turning to face Vital. “I’m not just going crazy?”

“Nope,” both Hammer Strikes replied with identical grins. One was standing near the kitchen doorway with a bag of chips while the other was sitting on the couch.

“Okay, what the feathers is going on?” Grif demanded.

Both turned toward each other before the one at the doorway responded. “First things first. Call me by another familiar name when both of us are here.”

“Secondly,” the one on the couch started, “nice to meet the alternate versions of the students I am sponsoring.”

“I hope it doesn’t mess things up that I picked Canterlot High,” Pensword said with a light chuckle. “Still… can I have the two books my counterpart wrote?”

Hammer Strike waved his hand dismissively at Pensword’s mention of the Canterlot High enrollment. “Actually, on the note of the books, there should be a copy or two in the library.”

“Then I am taking a permanent loan on them.”

“Sure,” he replied with a shrug.

“So, I take it you’re already up to speed on why we’re here?” Vital asked.

“Yeah, whole magic crown thing.” Hammer shrugged. “Honestly, you’re talking to a version of me who doesn’t have some magic thaumic field around him.”

“Oh, and Sunset’s on to us, by the way. Had a great little chat before we drove back.”

“I could always have her suspended,” Hammer Strike offered.

“On what grounds?” Vital asked.

“On the grounds of bribery, hacking school computers for student information, hacking student emails, amongst other things,” he replied casually.

“He’s good,” Grif noted as he moved to the fridge to grab a drink.

“Agreed. I like this guy,” Pensword said. “Well, of all the grownups so far. I am still having arguments about base ten versus base four.”

“It would make things a lot easier, but if we do that, won’t it just make her hate us even more? I thought the whole point of this trip was to recover the crown and try to help Sunset overcome her problems. Oh, and she also insulted you guys and basically said this is her world and her home turf, so we don’t stand a chance. Typical villain talk.”

“What is with your world and these types of villains?” Hammer Strike asked Shawn.

“To be fair, it’s a world of magic and mythical things that reigned in peace for a long time.”

“Touché.”

“Either way, suspending her would look suspicious. The student body already saw Hammer Strike with us and Twilight. If someone got brave and entered the running at the very last minute, they could get the sympathy vote,” Grif noted.

“You know, I could just go get the crown from Celestia, right?” Hammer Strike questioned. “Just trade it for one of equal or greater value.”

“The crown is magical. It won’t let itself be stolen. The right to bear it has to be earned,” Vital Spark said.

“You see, you say that, but how did it get here?”

“What I mean, Hammer Strike, is that in this world it won’t let that happen. The whole accidental slipping through the portal thing? Not an accident. I mean, seriously, what are the odds it would fly through to hit Fluttershy of all people? The element of Kindness?”

“I don’t see how that changes the rules, especially in a world without magic. It would make more sense if it went from a world without magic, to one with magic for a rule like that.”

“Alright, then how about this angle? You know how sometimes weird stuff just keeps happening—”

Hammer Strike narrowed his eyes. “You just want the challenge of earning the crown...”

“Pretty much,” Grif said as the microwave sounded from the kitchen. Vital Spark stood speechless and red as a cherry, though his eyes darted over in Twilight’s direction. Hammer Strike gave a subtle nod of understanding.

Pensword poked his head out from the library. “I have a question. Why did she go after the crown in the first place? There must be something we are missing... “ He paused as he fell back to silence.

“Crown of magical power in a world without magic,” Hammer Strike replied simply.

Twilight gasped. “If she were to get a hold of my crown and wear it, since she was originally a Unicorn, she could tap into its reservoirs to boost her own magic and take over!”

“Well, Johnny, can you tell our lovely winner what we have for her tonight?” Grif’s voice rang it’s sarcasm across the room.

“Not helping, Grif,” Vital said, deadpanning. “So, you guys going to bring me up to speed on the plan?”

“Tomorrow, at 1200 hours, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkamena Diane Pie, Applejack Apple, Rarity Belle, Fluttershy Butterfree, and Rainbow Miriam Dash will be employing a tactical propaganda strike that will gain favor to our cause. By this time I’ll have hopefully organized with like-minded experts to reconstruct Sunset’s own propaganda into a more positive image for us. Your classic smash and grab, really,” Grif said.

“While that is good,” Lunar Fang responded, “this is high school, not a military camp.” She laughed.

“A military camp would be easier,” Grif pointed out.

Pensword looked at Grif. “Tactics are the same, jargon is different.” He sighed as he flopped onto the couch. “Tomorrow at lunch the newly reformed friends will get together and start a flash mob song that will hopefully be recorded and uploaded onto the net for others to see. During this time, we will use catchy jingles and lyrics to convey the platform that Twilight will carry on despite opposition from Sunset Shimmer, who practically everyone hates anyways, while handing out free campaign items.”

“This plan is good, but I feel like we can make it better.” Grif rubbed his chin contemplatively. He looked over to Hammer Strike and Shawn. “Is there any chance Celestia may receive a subtle phone call to extend the lunch break by ten to fifteen minutes?”

“I could do that,” Hammer Strike replied. Meanwhile Shawn had moved to the couch and sat down as well.

“Then for an added benefit, let’s add some free drinks and donuts or something,” Grif added.

“Enjoys limit pushing, doesn’t he?” Hammer Strike asked.

“Yep, that’s about accurate,” Shawn replied.

“I’ll think about that one,” Hammer Strike said.

“So is that everything then? Are we all ready for tomorrow?” Pensword asked.

“... Ready as I’ll ever be,” Twilight said with a nervous laugh.

“Don’t worry, Twilight. You’ll do just fine,” Vital said reassuringly. “Trust me.”

After a moment where nobody could think of anything to say, Hammer Strike paused the program on TV. “So, you all want to go to a private gun range?”

Pensword jumped to his feet. “I’ll get my hat and coat!”


The Hummer roared up the long gravel driveway as it circled into the shooting range compound. A large grassy fixture had been carefully tended on the other side where the emblem of Strike Co. had been arranged in flowers and ornaments to clearly show who owned the land. A fairly burly man with broad shoulders and a checkered flannel shirt grinned as he polished his twelve gauge shotgun. He waited expectantly as the front driver door popped open and Hammer Strike made his way round. “Up for another rematch, Hammer Strike?” he asked. “I thought we weren’t scheduled until next week.”

“You could say–” Hammer Strike started.

“–Some unexpected things popped up,” Shawn finished as he opened his own door and joined his counterpart on the field.

“Who’s the new guy? Long lost twin or something?”

Hammer Strike and Shawn looked at each other for a brief moment before turning back and giving a shrug. “You know the guys down in the lab, Range Master.”

“Thankfully they don’t go overboard,” Shawn finished. “He’s the original.”

“Sure sounds the same,” he said as he smirked, “but can he fire the same?”

“That a challenge?” Shawn questioned.

“What do you think?” Range Master asked as he folded his arms.

“Let’s get to it, then.”

“Wait a second here, I thought we were here to fool around with possibly deadly objects,” Grif said as he opened the passenger door, exposing the many adolescents within. “When did this become a contest?”

“Since when did my range become a playground?” Range Master asked, looking back at his bosses.

“You’d be surprised at Grif’s accuracy,” Shawn commented. A few hairs clipped off of Range Master’s mustache as a blade embedded itself in the beam next to him.

The man raised an eyebrow. “Not bad. Who trained you, son?”

“My father believed such skills were good for the soul.”

“Okay, he gets a pass. What about these other kids?”

“I’m a fair shot,” Vital said casually. “So’s Pensword and Lunar Fang. Twilight’s here to learn, though.”

The burly man shrugged. “Well, it’s not like I get to actually do much but test all these guns anyways. Might as well let them get some real use.” He chuckled. “Hammer Strike’ll probably thank you for all the ammo you use anyways. I swear, everything that man touches turns to gold.”

Hammer Strike simply shrugged.

“So, um … I know we’re supposed to fire projectiles here using a high tech compression system of sorts, right? Um … where’s the best place for a beginner like me?” Twilight asked.

“We’ll start you off with something light, darlin’. I’d say a twenty two rifle ought to do just fine. How about the rest of you? Got any favorites?”

“What do you have?” Grif asked.

“Pretty much every gun ever made, and then a few experimental weapons Strike pays me to test for him.”

“Colt Buntline Special?” Grif asked.

“Eeyup.”

“Twelve gauge pump action?” Vital asked.

“Easy.”

“A Civil War rifle with attached bayonet?” Pensword asked excitedly.

“It’s in one of our display cases, but yeah, we got it.”

Pensword squeed happily as Lunar Fang put a restraining arm on him. “So much history, Lunar Fang. So. Much. History!”

“Uh...” Lunar Fang opened her mouth to speak, clearly uncertain.

“She’ll want a Python,” Grif said.

“You sure she can handle the kick?”

“Oh, she can take it.” Grif smiled.

The rangemaster shrugged. “Suit yourselves. Storage is this way. Y’all want me to bring them to you, or do you want to pick your own?”

“We’ll pick our own, Range Master,” Hammer replied.

“Alright.” Range Master’s silver hair and red highlights flashed briefly in the sun before they entered the compound proper. He then proceeded to lead them through a series of halls, taking them deeper within the complex before reaching an LED keypad and typing in a series of numbers. The thick steel door cracked open with a loud hiss as the lock disengaged and Range Master pulled it open. “After you, ladies and gentlemen. I give you the armory.”

To say the armory was a large hall would be an understatement. It was more of a cavern with titanic racks holding cases as far as the eye could see. Assault rifles, sniper rifles, shotguns of every family and variety, a virtual library of handguns, and even some weapons you wouldn’t expect to find in a personal armory. Grenade launchers, flame throwers, RPGs. The room held more artillery than some countries could claim. It had to be at least two floors high with a wooden staircase connecting the stories. They were arranged by size, which made finding their choices surprisingly easy as Grif and Pensword wandered around the room wide-eyed.

“Is that… a minigun?” Grif asked.

“No. That, my friend, is a Gatling gun. This is a minigun,” Range Master said as he split his stance and leveled an unloaded six cylinder box at the teen. Its dual sites and extra long grip made for easy transport, and extra padding had been placed where it braced against the hip for easy use when the arms got tired.

“That’s beautiful,” Grif said as he wiped a tear from his eye.

“Kid, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.” Range Master smirked as he returned the weapon to its proper location. “Once you kids have what you need, press the big red button next to the case and the system will automatically prepare munitions for you once I designate which range you’re using today in the computer.”

“Thank you,” Grif said as he selected the Buntline. The revolver was like a Colt Single Action Army Revolver save, of course, for the rather absurd twelve-inch barrel. He ran his fingers down the long metal shaft with a grin. “Beautiful.”

“So, you all ready to go?” Range Master asked. Having received a positive response from everyone, they proceeded to leave.


The lunch room in Canterlot High was packed full with eager students trying to get their food. The jocks, the techno geeks, the drama kids, and all the other social group areas were full to bursting with their various types of students. In this cafeteria, it was normally hard to point out two students wearing similar outfits. Today, however, had anyone been observing, they would have found the strange curiosity of not two, but five different girls wearing an identical blue sweater. They didn’t interact with each other, and they didn’t acknowledge one another as they each got their food and sat with their social group.

Pensword and Lunar Fang passed through the line and sidled up to a corner table. Lunar Fang placed a bag down while Pensword nudged a Boombox with an MP3 player docked inside next to the bag. Then they sat down and began to eat their lunch. Both of them gave each other a knowing look of anticipation.

On some unseen signal, Rarity slipped on her pony ears as she sat down, moving her skirt to let her pre-tied tail fall free. Seeing this, Rainbow Dash proceeded to follow suit as she sat with the jocks. Pinkie Pie, who was at the tray line, responded by putting on her own ears before she began banging her tray in the classic shish-boom-bob style. Rarity responded by stomping her feet and clapping to the rhythm, much to the confusion of those around her. The eco group was even more shocked when Fluttershy rose to her feet, pony ears proudly displayed as she began banging two empty cups to the beat. Big Mac looked on, confused, not noticing as Applejack began her own clapping, punctuating each clap by banging the table. Rainbow Dash slammed her tray on the table in front of her as she stomped her feet.

Not far from Lunar Fang and Pensword, Spike stuck his head out of the backpack. With a conspiratorial wink to the two, he leaned forward and hit play on the boombox. A stereo format of the clapping and beats the five friends had started burst from the speakers when four of the five friends started to skip down the paths towards the center of the aisle and began to sing. “Hey, hey, everybody...” Pensword and Lunar Fang both bobbed their heads to the beat.

What followed was a great choreographed song and dance routine. Suddenly, in the middle of the song, Pinkie Pie and Rarity both stood at the doors to the Cafeteria. With a dramatic wave, they opened the doors, joining with the other three to sing, “...helping Twilight Sparkle win the crown.”

Twilight Sparkle entered wearing the same letter sweatshirt with the Horseshoe C. She began to sing herself. As she passed Flash, he stood up and started to play on his guitar. Surprisingly, the chords sounded loud and clear, blending perfectly in a musical accompaniment. Pensword turned to Lunar Fang, his eyes wide with shock. “Is this… are these wireless amps?” Lunar fang just grinned and shrugged, enjoying the new addition to the song they’d composed together. The performance was really kicking into high gear as a drum set rolled out and the students began to join in, shouting, “hey,” and getting up to dance. In the middle of all this, the girls reached into cleverly hidden bags throughout the lunchroom and began to throw out the ears and tails for school pride. The student body all put them on and started to dance around, tails swinging behind them as they continued to sing and dance along.

Already Pensword, Lunar Fang, and Vital could see that the student body was starting to bond together and cross clique lines for the first time in three years. As Lunar Fang looked around, her smile dropped into a frown. “I see Sunset looking in,” she whispered, “and she does not look happy.”

Pensword laughed. “Let her stew. We got the permission slips from Principal Celestia for this. She can’t do anything about it. And when she does try her next move, we'll be ready for her.”

“Things seem to be going well here?” Grif asked as as he took a seat next to Pensword.

“So far,” Pensword responded, his goofy grin still beaming. “Twilight got points just for unifying the school cafeteria. And now I think it’s safe to say we’ve officially weaponized the song magic.”

“Good. Vinyl will be putting the last touches on the video, and we’ll have it posted later tonight,” Grif said. “Rook to knight seven, and check.” He smiled.

“Yes, but we have to be careful,” Lunar Fang responded. “Sunset Shimmer can make a counter move, easily getting her out of check and putting us back in. It’s like we’re playing a game where the pieces aren’t visible.”

“Anything on our opponent?” Grif turned to Vital. “You were kinda quiet on details.”

“Remember what happened with Luna last millennium?” Vital asked.

“You think that could happen to her?” Grif raised an eyebrow.

“From what I got after she forged a letter to get me alone, yes. Celestia was so focused on reforming the power of the Elements to save Luna, she basically dropped Sunset like a hot potato once the chocolate cake came along,” he said, looking meaningfully toward Twilight. “I’m pretty sure it’s not quite as bad as Sunset says, but according to her, Celestia promised pretty much everything Twilight gained in her stead and then took it all away just a little after the rainboom event happened. Sunset knew about the Mane Six, Grif. That’s why she attacked them here. She’s angry, and she’s hurting. That makes her dangerous.”

“First priority is getting the crown away from her then, Vital. Once that's taken care of, we’ll see what can be done for her.” He eyed the pale boy sternly. “Get the weapon out of her hands. Then we can talk her from the window ledge.”

“Believe me, Grif, I have more motivation than you know to get that crown back.”

“Yes, but I also know you. You're a bleeding heart, Vital. And whether you like it or not, I need to keep your head on the mission at hand.”

Vital sighed. “I just wish she could see what she’s doing to herself. I know what disappointment can do to a person, but if she doesn’t let go soon …”

“This wound’s had over three years to fester, Vital. It’ll take some deep surgery to get to the root of that. I’m sure you’ll be able to reason with her well enough from her cell.”

“Speaking of which, have you figured out how to get her out of here without raising suspicion? People are going to ask questions if she just disappears in broad daylight, you know,” Vital returned.

“People are going to be asking questions when we disappear in broad daylight as well,” Grif pointed out.

“Or maybe not,” Pensword responded. “It will cause a stir for a day or two, and then it will be on to the next scandal in the school grapevine.”

“I suppose Hammer Strike could cover for us. He probably wouldn’t mind, and he is the superintendent, so it would probably work. He could say she was off on some exchange program or something for a few years,” Vital mused.

“Might work,” Pensword muttered. He looked to Lunar Fang, who seemed quite agitated. “What is it, dear?” The lunch had quieted down to eating, but a few were still mingling and singing together, which boded well for Twilight’s campaign.

“You’re talking about a traitor, and one who’s stolen a major military weapon from Equestria I might add, like you’re just going to give her a slap on the wrist and leave it at that. How can you even put that on the table?” Lunar Fang said through gritted teeth.

“Oh, I don’t plan on just letting her go. It’s just that priority one is to get the crown back. Priority two is to then apprehend the criminal and return her to face the charges,” Grif said, his accent still just as strong as ever. Thankfully, no one was paying attention as students were too focused on tearing down the barriers between cliques.

“And if time doesn’t permit, fulfill the primary directive and get the heck outta Dodge,” Vital said, nodding. “The Element of Magic comes first.”

“You’re learning. Good.” Lunar Fang nodded in approval.

“Likely that means we’ll be leading a squad here in the next thirty moons to make the arrest then,” Grif noted. “Celestia can’t just overlook this, you know.”

“She can’t exactly be impartial either. What happened here with Sunset is almost the exact same thing that happened with Luna. She’s going to want to show mercy. And given the circumstances, it might be better if she did. An apology from Celestia might go a long ways if we can just get it through Sunset’s thick skull,” Vital said.

Grif let out a sigh. “Sunbutt, will you never learn?” He groaned. “Anyway, it may not be her call in the end. The robbery happened in the Crystal Empire, so it might be Cadence who judges, but it also happened against Twilight, so she may be the one holding the gavel yet. That’s for the quill pushers to figure out.”

“Here’s hoping it’s Twilight. If anyone can find an answer where everyone gets satisfied, it’s her,” Vital said.

“I hope there aren't a lot more of these magic mirrors,” Grif noted. “They seem troublesome.”

“Pretty sure Starswirl only made one. It’d be nice if he made a second connected to our world though.” Vital sighed.

“If dreams were stars...” Pensword nodded in agreement. “Anyway, I better get to class. See you later.”

“Let’s hope for the best.” Grif nodded, getting to his feet. “Keep your eyes open for Sunset’s last ace.”


“So we missed the class the first day, and yesterday Celestia asked to see me about setting up a fencing club. What’s this professor Oobleck guy like anyway?” Grif asked.

“I don’t know. Every time I’ve asked someone in school, they just laughed and told me I’d better hang on to my seat. You guys don’t think he’s one of those crazy work heavy teachers, do you?” Vital Spark returned, his expression suddenly very worried.

“Do not look at me. I have been helping Lunar Fang with a few panic attacks,” Pensword answered. “You want Lunar Fang screaming her head off in the middle of classes?”

“Probably not. You sure you’re going to be okay, Lunar Fang?” Vital asked.

“I think so…. I am doing better. It’s taken some time. But one thing’s definitely clear. When we get back home again, I’m spending the first day back fully in the sky, understood?” she hissed.

Vital cringed. “Yes, Ma’am.”

“You know, you’ve been awful moody today. I haven’t seen you this moody since the war,” Grif said.

“Try living the days without your wings,” she hissed. “Also, I really don’t like this place. I overheard some girls gobbling about how they might tempt Pensword away from his girlfriend. So don’t you go and tell me I’m moody, mister. I am not in the mood.”

The chemistry lab was a large squared out room with several impeccably organized stations set up against the walls of the room. A series of oblong two-person desks occupied the rest of the space with just enough room for two bodies to travel up and down the aisles comfortably. Most of the desks were already occupied by the students.

“So I guess I’ll go with Grif and you’ll go with Lunar Fang, Pensword?” Vital asked as he looked nervously around the class. “And where’s the teacher anyways? Is he late?”

“Well now, I wouldn’t be if you’d step out of the doorway and let me into my own classroom,” a voice hastily commented from behind the group.

“Uh, sorry?” Grif said as they entered the room, quickly finding their seats.

“So, you four are the ones that have been skipping my class these last two days,” Oobleck commented as he peered over the desks at each of the students, drawing uncomfortably close. He wore a white dress shirt with a yellow tie and some dark green slacks. His dark green hair was combed back, and yet still had a somewhat messy look to it. He adjusted his glasses before taking a sip from the mug in his hands. “Dreadful, simply dreadful. Whatever will I do with you students?”

“Nothing, because superintendent Hammer Strike excused both cases?” Grif asked him with a raised eyebrow.

“He may have excused you from my class, but that doesn’t mean you get to skip the work, now do you?”

“Well, in our defense, you didn’t exactly tell us we had to do the work yet ... so we didn’t,” Vital Spark responded.

“He does have a point…” Oobleck muttered to himself as he took another sip of his steaming beverage. “Very well, then, but from this point on, that changes,” he paused to take another sip from his mug. “You will read chapters three and four and do all of the questions at the end. I want them on my desk by next class.”

“Sounds reasonable enough. They’re all short answer … right?” Vital Spark asked, then chuckled nervously.

“Paragraphs.”

“Ooh, my specialty,” Vital said as he beamed. “So what are we going over today, Mister Oobleck?”

“First of all, it’s Doctor Oobleck. I didn’t earn the PhD for fun, thank you very much.” He paused to take a drink. “Secondly, we’ll be studying the chemical composition of several common... chemicals.”

“Well, this should be fun,” Pensword answered dryly, wishing for Vital to stop talking as it seemed it was getting larger homework loads.

“Calm down. This will be easy,” Grif whispered as he leaned over the aisle to Pensword’s ear.

Alright, students, please turn to page fifty-seven in your chemistry books. This one’s going to be a long haul, so I hope you came prepared.” He took another sip as he zipped over to the chalkboard and proceeded to write out a complex chemical formula for the students to copy.


“So, you guys ready for this?” Grif asked as he typed on his laptop, bringing up the new video as the others gathered around in the big house’s library.

“Ready,” Lunar Fang answered as she sat in a chair she’d carried behind the leather couch where Grif had been typing.

“It’s not going to fling mud at Sunset, is it?” Vital asked worriedly. “I can’t stand those kinds of tactics.”

Pensword laughed. “If it was slinging mud, that is a lot better than the noble feuds a thousand years ago. Those usually ended with the target in prison or on long sea voyages with no return date.”

“Trust me, Vital; I don’t think Sunset’s name even comes up,” Grif said as the movie started. Dubstep played in the background as a large light bluish-green teenager appeared on screen with black hair. He wore a grey jacket over a white T-shirt and jeans as well as blue sunglasses that stood low enough on his brow that you could see his eyes.

“Hey, everybody. By now you all saw a certain previous video about Twilight Sparkle. And I’m sure it made you all wonder, ‘why would I vote for someone so goofy?’ Well, I’ve got a reason for you.” He snapped his fingers and a picture of an ancient regal woman appeared nearby. “We’ve all fallen asleep in history talking about people like countess what's-her-name of whatever here, how she lived, how she made everyone under her go through hell, and the million more people like her. History’s full of prim and proper people making life suck for everyone since the beginning of time!” With another snap of his fingers, the picture changed to snapshots of Twilight’s footage. “What I see here is a Fall Formal princess who doesn’t care what the world says is right. She dances to her own beat, and that's something we can all agree with! Anyone who’s been to one of my parties, and I’m pretty sure every one of you have, knows how much I like seeing everybody express themselves in their own way. So vote for Sparkle–” Large bold lettering covered a picture of Twilight’s face with rapidly changing colors. “–‘cause I know I will.” He leaned in to the camera lens and gave it a wink before the video faded to black.

“Not the best, I know, but it was a throw together,” Grif said.

“It was perfect,” Twilight said with tears in her eyes as she laid a thankful hand on Grif’s shoulder.

“Agreed. Rather good,” Pensword answered. “Now… it is Sunset’s move tomorrow.”

“Considering how things went in the lunchroom, and now the counter with this… she’s going to be desperate. We’ll need to be ready for anything,” Vital said.

“Going by the strain on time, she’s going to need the possibility of Twilight being disqualified outrightly,” Grif noted.

“That’ll take some pretty fancy footwork if she’s going to manage it before the dance. Tomorrow’s the last day, after all,” Vital responded.

“Twilight, for the next two days, I want you to have someone present at all times, and, unfortunately, it can’t be Spike.”

“I can help where I can; meet up at hallways and the like, and sit with you in the classes you and I share,” Pensword said. “Lunar Fang will help, too.”

“As if you could stop me,” Lunar Fang replied, smirking as she kissed Pensword on the cheek.

“We’ll need to come up with a specific schedule for pickup and dropoff periods to ensure she’s never left alone for more than a few minutes,” Vital Spark agreed. “Let’s compare schedules.”

“I don’t like this,” Grif said suddenly. “It’s all coming together too easily. There is something missing here.”

“But what are we missing?” Pensword asked. “After all, she cannot sabotage the event herself. Otherwise she loses the crown and the time limit as well.”

“Then again, that may be her plan. She did try awfully hard to get the crown here and away from Equestria. Maybe she wants to keep it here for the next three years so Equestria has to fend for itself,” Vital suggested.

Lunar Fang shook her head. “That is a lot for revenge.” She tapped a finger on her knee. “No… there’s another reason. Something else. I’m not sure if any of you felt it, but I have. Something’s stirring… shifting. I don’t know how else to describe it. Something’s just… different from before.”

“Guys, you realize come the deadline, I can’t stay,” Grif said. “Even if we fail, I have to go back. I can’t leave Shrial and Avalon alone for three years.”

“Nor can I stay away,” Pensword answered. “Okay then, we just need to make a backup plan. If we can’t win it, we grab the crown and take it with us.” He looked around. “Vital you might want to leave the room. We will be talking about staking out a principal’s office, pickpocketing, breaking and entering.” He paused. “Or we can ask the superintendent for a copy of a master key for the school.” He looked to Grif. “Do we still have the forged crown or is it back in Equestria?”

“I never had it,” Grif told Pensword.

Vital sweatdropped. “Celestia said they had to keep it to keep panic from spreading, remember?”

“Yes, but you know me; I have to cover every single detail. So you are staying while we discuss a Black Sun plan?”

“I assume you’re talking about a Plan B. I’d rather not, but if you really are going to have to fall back on a plan like this, it’s probably best I do sit in. I might mess it up otherwise, and who knows, maybe I can help if something goes wrong. But just for the record, I’m only going along with this because the crown is already stolen property, so we’re technically just stealing it back.”

“Oh this is dealing with what to do after Plan Z, Pensword assured. “Literally, a Black Sun event is what to do if Celestia went crazy without any other Princesses to stop her.”

“You do realise I can literally walk in and just swap the crown with another, right?” Shawn commented.

“Right. We might need you on call if something goes south on the night of the dance,” Pensword agreed.

“Won’t it be too late to try that plan by then though?” Vital asked. “I mean, the crown will have been given to Sunset by that point. It’s not like you can just ask for it back unless you come up with a logical explanation for the need to return it.”

“The superintendent might want to make sure that, seeing how this has been one of the worst campaigns, no itching powder, dyes, or other substances were hidden in the head region of the crown?”

“So basically, confiscate the crown on grounds of potential sabotage?” Vital Spark asked.

“Yes,” Lunar Fang answered. “But could somebody tell me why we’re doing this again? It’s seriously right there. Wanting to win the crown fair and square is fun and all, but we only have a couple of days left. It’s too close. Shouldn’t we just storm in and take it?”

“I’m trying to show the power of Friendship and make sure that this world’s set of my friends become friends again,” Twilight answered. “Besides, I have to beat Sunset at her own game. If I can’t be a princess here, how could I ever hope to be a real one in Equestria?” Twilight sighed, flopping into one of the baggier chairs in the library.

“We take the crown by force only if necessary,” Grif said with authority. He walked over to Twilight and placed a supportive hand on her shoulder as she looked up into a surprisingly gentle smile. “You can do this. I know you can. Besides, Princess,” he said, smirking playfully. “You should know by now you don’t have to do this alone. You’ve got us, and you’ve got your friends. You united an entire school for Winds’ sake. If that doesn’t say princess, I don’t know what does.”

Twilight smiled. “Thanks, Grif.”


The next day went by with a long uneasy stillness. Grif had been on edge all day, and seemed to get more edgy with every hour, yet nothing happened. They had seen Sunset in the halls, and all she had done was send them a sinister smirk. When the bell rang by day’s end and nothing had happened, Grif’s hands were shaking. This felt wrong. No enemy waited this long to retaliate with such a small window of opportunity. “It’s not right,” he growled under his breath.

Pensword came around from another part of the school just as Grif said those words. “Grif, I waited five days before I invaded Fort Triumph, remember? This means we have to be extra careful.”

“At Fort Triumph the enemy had months. Our enemy has a day,” Grif noted.

“So, if she acted today, it would have been hasty. She probably took today to plan, which means we have to be on our guard tomorrow as well.”

“I’m sorry.” Grif sighed. “It’s just I really don’t want anything to screw up, you know?”

“Then we plan for something bad. We can only plan for her acting without reason. Still, I hope that things go as easy as a warm day flight. Little turbulence, lots of lift, all the fun.”

“I hope you’re right,” Grif said. “Something feels off.”

Vital ran through the hall, his heavy strides slapping along the tile floor. “Grif, Pensword… we have a problem!”

Grif gave Pensword a dead stare. “What is it?”

“Hey, I was calling it,” Pensword answered, raising both hands into the air. “I was not invoking Murphy. I was only stating that she was going to strike and we should be ready.”

Vital Spark huffed, having become somewhat winded. “Geez, I had to comb the whole school to find you guys. This place is bigger than it looks.” His breathing slowly eased and he straightened to deliver his message. “Twilight’s been taken by Vice Principal Luna. Somebody destroyed the gym and everything Pinkie worked so hard to set up. And Luna didn’t look too happy.”


Sunset sat, fuming on the foldable chair as she stared at the damage Snips and Snails had wrought the previous night. She smiled grudgingly. She had to admit, what they lacked in brains they made up for in destructive enginuity. How did they even manage to twist the tables like that? Toilet paper littered the floors, streamers were torn, balloons popped, decorations cracked, kicked in, or destroyed. They wouldn’t make half bad soldiers in Equestria… except for the fact that now they wouldn’t be able to go there for another three years thanks to their antics.

She grimaced, then sighed. “At least that prim little goodie goodie’s getting the third degree, and that will leave me with the crown as sole competitor.” Now that was a cheerful thought. Maybe she ought to make her way to Vice Principal Luna’s office. Yes, that would be wonderful. Then she could gloat. Twilight Bungle would have to return home in disgrace, or else not return at all. She chuckled. “Do send Celestia my regards, Twilight. Yes, that’ll work nicely. And then I can shove some dog treats into that annoying mutt’s mouth to shut him up when he tries to object.” She grinned as she stood up and made her way towards the doors. “I can hardly wait.”


Luna was not having a good day. The coffee maker was broken, so she had to get coffee made at one of those drive-through coffee places Celestia was so addicted to. Her sister had never appreciated good coffee. It was bad enough she was working through the EQ3 game expo, and now she had to deal with a major vandalism issue while Celestia was away on business. Luna wondered which bakery suffered her sister’s tyranny today as she pulled the blinds shut, casting her office into shadow as she turned to her newest troubled student.

“This is you in these pictures, is it not?” Luna asked, setting her evidence out before Twilight Sparkle.

“Yes, but …”

“You realize, of course, we cannot allow someone who vandalized our school to compete for the Fall Formal crown,” Luna said. “Why would you do this? I had an understanding that you were winning!”

“But I … I would never do this. How is this possible?” Twilight took the photos in hand and stared at them. “I wasn’t anywhere near the gym last night, and besides that, Pinkie Pie’s my friend. I’d never try to ruin a party she’s worked so hard to prepare for. I’m telling you, Vice Principal Luna, someone is framing me. You’ve got to believe me!”

“Every student who ends up in this room has used that line, Twilight Sparkle. As much as I’d like to give you the benefit of the doubt, the evidence is quite certain here.”

“Please, you can’t! I have witnesses. I’m innocent!”

“I’m sorry, Twilight, but my hands are–” Luna was cut off as the door burst open.

“Objection!” Flash sentry stood at the doorway pointing dramatically with his black jacket zippered up in an almost formal sense. His blue hair had been slicked back, giving the impression of a somewhat clean and vocal appearance. “Vice Principal Luna, Twilight Sparkle is innocent!”.

Another student breaking in on a simple disciplinary session. As if her headache wasn’t big enough already. Luna took a moment to compose herself, lest she explode at the wrong person and face yet another disciplinary hearing. She’d rather not end up barred when she’d only just gotten her administrative privileges back. “Mister Sentry, this is all very gallant, but the evidence is quite clear.”

“Hold it!” Flash shouted. Luna shot him a warning glare. Flash cleared his throat nervously. “I found these in a trash can in the library. Clearly Twilight Sparkle was being set up.” He tossed a set of cutouts on the table, each portraying events from Twilight’s game with Rainbow Dash on the soccer field. In each picture, the portion showing Twilight was missing.

Luna raised an eyebrow as she looked at the picture of Twilight destroying the gym. She proceeded to hold up a cutout to find that the soccer field surrounded Twilight perfectly. She checked each picture and found the same result. “... I see.” Luna sighed. Great. Because of her caffeine addiction, she’d nearly punished a student without just cause over photos practically any adult should have noticed. She really needed to cut back on her gaming. “Well, based on this evidence, you can, of course, continue your bid to be princess of the Fall Formal,” she said, rising from her chair and making her way towards the door. “And my job gets harder,” she mumbled as she left the room with the evidence.

“Vice Principal?” a voice spoke as she left the room.

“Huh?” Luna looked up to see the large grey boy approaching her. He was that exchange student the superintendent brought in. What was his name? G-something? Gruff? Augh, she needed coffee. “Oh … um, yes?” she asked.

“Sorry to interrupt, but I was getting coffee when my friend phoned me about Twilight. It seems that in the hurry they screwed up my order. Would you care for a stalliongrad latte double foam no cream with just a hint of cinnamon?” Grif asked.

“Oh my. That’s ... that's my favorite, actually.” Luna smiled, accepting the cup. “Thank you, Mister Grafson; it smells divine. I have such a hard time finding good coffee around here. If you’ll excuse me, I have to find my sister. With the damages that have been made to the gym, we’ll have to postpone the Fall Formal until next week.” She sighed as she rubbed her temple with a spare finger before making her way towards her sister’s office.

Grif held it in well. Vice Principal Luna was well out of earshot before the loud stream of fiery Phrench curses began to stream from his mouth.


“So that’s the jist of it,” Grif said as the intrepid heroes stood next to the statue outside. “We’re in trouble.”

Pensword shook his head dubiously. “Matthew is hopeful something will happen to fix it.” He paused. “Anypony seen where Twilight is?”

“I think she ran off embarrassed after accidentally rejecting Flash Sentry’s invitation to be his date at the dance next week,” Vital said.

“Did anypony go after her?” Pensword asked. “I do not see Lunar Fang.”

“She’s probably giving some girl talk dating advice. After all, who better to give it than a recently married woman who’d been seducing a certain man for quite some time before he accepted?” Vital asked.

“The portal closes tomorrow, guys. This has to happen by then,” Grif said. “What do we do?”

“We try and salvage the dance floor and see what we can do, maybe get it moved back to the old date of tomorrow?” Pensword asked as he looked around the group. He paused as he heard an unfamiliar ding. He pulled a phone he didn’t know he had out and blinked. “I have… a text?” He paused. “More important question... when did I get a phone?” A few seconds later, he pored over the message. “Pinkie is asking if we want to help Twilight clean up the gym. Seems we all had the same idea. Well... they had it sooner.”

“From what Luna implied, there were damages to the gym aside from decorations,” Grif noted.

“You think we should ask Hammer Strike for some help to replace what was broken?” Vital asked.

“Might be a good plan.” Grif nodded.

“Right. Vital, you call them. Then join Grif and I at the Gym,” Pensword said.

“You realize I can do both at the same time, right, Pensword?”

“Matthew does,” Grif interjected. “Pensword is still a little struck by technology.”

“We are seriously going to have to give him a crash course. Either that, or Vulpix is going to need to in their spare time,” Vital said as he pulled out his own phone. Checking his contacts, he wasn’t at all surprised to find the icons for Hammer Strike and Shawn at the top. “So, shall we go?” he asked as he pressed the call button.

Pensword blinked. “Why is Matthew so scared.? He paused as he accessed his other memories. “Wait… you are… and that…” he blinked. “I can.… What do you mean by useless without satellites? Why do we need a moon?” He lowered his voice. “Wait… humans…” he closed his eyes. “You know what? That’s enough. I have to worry about the tech we have now, not some future world of speeding wingless chariots and these ‘cell phones,’” he said, rolling his tongue as he stumbled over the words. “Anyway, time is wasting. Onwards!” With that, he marched purposefully for the gym, the others trailing behind.


The group got to the gym and opened the doors as some of the jocks gawked at Applejack while they were carrying a table. Applejack passed casually by, holding one under each arm and walking like she would passing flyers for her bake sales.

“Remind me not to get into a fist fight with her,” Pensword muttered, slackjawed.

“They don’t look that heavy.” Grif shrugged as they entered the gym.

“Well, where should we report to?” Vital Spark asked. It looks like practically everyone is here to help.”

“That’s because everyone is, darling,” Rarity interjected, startling the friends as she popped up behind them. “Now, if you don’t mind, Grif, we could use some help taking care of the sound system. You’ve got such excellent muscle tone, I think you would be a perfect candidate to help Vinyl with the repairs and placement. Pensword, Lunar Fang has been asking for you. She’s over there working on the rafters. Apparently, she prefers higher places. I… understand you two spent a lot of time in the air,” she said somewhat hesitantly.

“You’re not being racially insensitive by asking what it’s like to fly,” Grif told her as he turned to find Vinyl. “There is very little you could ask Pensword that would set him off anyway. He’s heard it all already.” With that, Grif wandered off.

“How did he…?”

Vital put a calming hand on her shoulder. “It’s Grif. He does that sometimes. It’s better not to question it. Let’s just say he’s a less random version of Pinkie Pie.”

“... You do realize how unsettling that idea can be, right?”

“Trust me, I know. You get used to it.”

“Okay, now to find the ladder, or the stairs to the rafters. I’ll see you all later.” Pensword started wandering around the gym looking for a way up, only to have a roll of streamers hit him on the head. “Yes, dear,” he called up. “I’m getting up there, just need to find the same path you took.”

“You need to climb the ladder, dear. It’s over there,” Lunar Fang called back from one of the rafter beams. “Oh, and could you bring that streamer back up here while you’re at it? Thank you.” She smiled and blew him a kiss before getting back to work, balancing on the beam like a professional tightrope walker.

Pensword snorted. “A ladder. How very inadequate.” He sighed. “When in Rome.” He muttered in annoyance as he started to climb the contraption. He absently stuffed the streamer in his pants pocket. Slowly, a smile began to dawn the higher he rose. “I miss my wings.” He soon joined her and the pair leaped from rafter to rafter, spreading streamers in an intricate dance without an ounce of fear while students gawked from below.

“How can I help, Rarity?” Vital asked.

“Hmm. How about you help Big Mac with the trash disposal? You look like you can handle the strain well enough, and we have enough boys helping with tables.”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Vital saluted and smiled as he made his way over to the larger trash piles where twisted metal chairs and other disposable items had been dumped for trash and recycling. “Vital Spark reporting for duty, Sir,” the pale boy said, smiling as he picked up a chair that had been split in two.

Big Mac shrugged. “‘Kay.”

“I don’t know, Vinyl,” Grif said as he set the large speaker down. “These are looking pretty beat up”

Vinyl Scratch proceeded to gesture sporadically.

“No, I’m not doubting you, but these have had a real number done to them,” Grif said.

The doors to the gym kicked open suddenly as Hammer Strike took a few steps into the gym, looking around at each of the gathered students.

“Well, the cavalry is here,” Pensword called out.

The students stared with a mixture of confusion, surprise, and that uncomfortable feeling one gets when one thinks one is in trouble.

“So, I heard the gym and its decorations were damaged?” Hammer questioned.

“Did you bring any speakers?” Grif called out.

“Yeah. They’re in the truck.”

“Wait, hold on,” one of the students called out. A Calculator symbol showed prominently on his shirt. “What’s going on? Are you saying The Man is helping us out?” He found a fist held out and so he bumped it with a long haired man with a recycling symbol on his shirt. “Sweet!” they chorused together.

“Now that that’s out of the way, any of you want to help unload the truck of equipment that is probably a bit over the top?” Hammer Strike asked.

Grif nodded, heading to the door instantly. Big Mac followed a few moments later.

Other students began to cluster around the doors as Pensword and Lunar Fang let loose a sigh of relief. It was hard enough handling the disco ball without all the onlookers there to throw off their concentration.

“How’s it hanging up there?” Vital Spark shouted.

“Good,” Pensword answered, laughing. “Also, nice joke.”

“I agree. One that should only be shared between close friends or family.” She laughed. “As my father would say, ‘all is right side up for the world.’” She shook her head. “Pensword, hold that ball steady.”

“Oh, uh … actually, no joke was intended, but good job with that disco ball,” Vital said, positioning himself beneath just in case.

“You got it?” Grif asked from across the large speaker as he moved to lift his end.

“Eeyup,” came the response with a bit of a groan.

“A little heavier then I figured. You?” Grif asked

“Eeyup” came his response as they moved the speaker.

“Need a hand?” Hammer Strike asked as he walked past them carrying one on his shoulder, a box in his other hand.

Big Mac stared in shock while Grif just rolled his eyes.

“I’ll take the silence as a no.” Hammer Strike gave a half shrug. “So, where should these go?”

“Up on the stage, I think,” Vital Spark said as he held the gym doors open with Vinyl Scratch for the group. More than a few of the other jocks also gawked alongside Rainbow Dash at the sheer strength Hammer Strike was showing.

“So,” Hammer Strike started, ignoring the looks. “Vinyl, since you’re the more electronic music inclined individual here, think these speakers are fine?”

Vinyl beamed a smile with an excited thumbs up.

“Good. Pinkie, since you’re the more party goer of everyone, and Rarity, you have an eye for detail, did I pick out good decorations?”

“Why … they’re positively perfect! Stylish, yet chic, with all the fall colors. They’ll fit in perfectly with my designs. How on earth did you know?” Rarity stared at the man before her as her eyes shone like stars. “My hero.”

“I, uh, got some details from Grif, Pensword, Lunar Fang, and Vital Spark on what was going on. Details and, um, other miscellaneous information.”

“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! This is gonna be the best party ever! Thanks Hammer Strike from a parallel universe!” Pinkie squealed, breaking up the awkward moment as she grabbed the box, pulled Rarity by the collar of her blouse, and zipped back inside.

Hammer Strike gave a small chuckle. “Figures she would know that,” he muttered to himself.

“She’s Pinkie. Of course she does,” Vital said, smiling happily.

“Thank you so much for the help, Hammer Strike,” Twilight said, giving the older man a hug. “It really means alot to me. And thank you, all of my friends.” Tears were forming as she looked from one person to the next.

“Not a problem. Just don’t be climbing up here, okay?” Pensword called from the rafters.

Twilight laughed as she wiped the tears from her eyes. “You’ve got it, Pensword.”

“Right,” Rarity replied. “Now we just need Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna to see this gym and we can be back on track for tomorrow’s dance!”

From the doors, the two stood gaping at the scene, especially a certain suited man holding a giant speaker over one shoulder. “Well,” Celestia responded, holding a lockbox with a slot in the top, “seeing as the gym is all cleaned up, I guess there’s only one thing we can do now. Well done everybody, the dance is back on for tomorrow!”

A collective cheer rang through the gym, shaking the newly mounted disco ball as Pensword and Lunar Fang dumped some spare confetti from the rafters.

“Seeing as everyone’s here, let’s get this out of the way now. Please enter your vote for the princess as you leave, and we’ll see you all tomorrow night,” Vice Principal Luna said.

Twilight sighed with relief. The dance was back on, people liked her, and she’d managed to bring her new friends back together. Everything was right again with the world.

PreviousChapters Next