• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 19,448 Views, 2,467 Comments

An Extended Holiday - Commander_Pensword



Adventure, Mayhem, Magic of unknown origins, and talking colorful Ponies. All being unrelated events have brought three friends together into the wildest holiday that anyone could imagine.

  • ...
69
 2,467
 19,448

PreviousChapters Next
58 - A Royal Coronation

Extended Holiday
Ch 58: A Royal Coronation
Act 7


Pensword stood on the platform, his ears twitching as he waited for the train. Celestia had left by royal chariot while the others were to take the train to Canterlot. He sighed a little. They had bought as many tickets as they could, and he hoped there would be another train for those not involved in the coronation at the end of the week. He looked to the others on the platform.

“Why so blue?” Conor asked.

“Blue?” Pensword asked for a moment of confusion before his mind clicked. “Not blue. Just wondering if all will get to see the coronation. Also, I am a little nervous. This is one of my first times in my position of High Duke of Ys.” He paused with a grin crossing his muzzle. “I hear the train.” Moon River perked up from her mother’s back and giggled happily as she pointed down the tracks.

“Dang, your hearing must be good,” Conor said. “Benefits of being a pony, right?”

“No,” Shawn replied simply. “He just hears trains earlier than others.”

“Yep, I think the train is on time, oh, and it’s the Canterlot Express engine.”

“Canterlot Express? Is that good?” Conor asked.

“Well, it is one of the more modern steam engines on this route, so I think so,” Pensword said. He turned his head and blinked, a small smile forming on his muzzle. “Can you hear the train?” he asked Moon River.

The foal responded only with a giggle as she continued to point down the tracks.

“Okay. Is there anything I should watch out for or expect while we’re there?” Conor asked as he nervously fiddled with his clothes. Rarity had insisted he wear a full suit designed to fit his new frame as his well styled hair parted at the side. The suitcase Shawn had purchased for him lay on the platform beside him with a week’s worth of regular and dress clothing while his violin case slung comfortably over his back.

“Follow the rules, stay at least civil to the nobility until you can form your own opinions, give courtesy to the Royals, and pray that we have things go smoothly for the public,” Pensword answered. Then he started looking around the platform. “Well, this is strange. Grif should have arrived by now.” They all could hear the engine’s whistle now.

The sound of multiple figures moving towards the platform was almost drowned out by the approaching engine. Grif strolled onto the platform followed by 19 heavily armed and armored gryphons with 6 others covered in a variety of cloaks.

“One day, you're going to explain how you do that,” Grif said.

“Do what?” Pensword asked with a blank expression. Lunar Fang rolled her eyes. “Grif, what is the deal with the other troops?” Pensword put a hoof to his chin in thought, then lowered it as his ears perked up. “Oh… this is based on what happened to us last time we were in Canterlot.”

“Sorta yes, sorta no,” Grif said. “Princess Celestia decided to hire some professional security for this event, given what happened so recently with the wedding and the attack. She hired us to patrol the city as well as personally guard the elements.”

“Sounds like fun,” Shawn replied.

“Sorry I didn’t invite you to the party, but you know,” Grif formed quotation marks with his talons. “Legally, you're not allowed to carry weapons for this.” Grif smirked. “So whatever you two have, just keep them buried deep.”

Shawn laughed. “I’d love for them to try and take my greatsword. I’m pretty sure it weighs more than them.”

“Not my job, not my gryphons’ job,” Grif shrugged. I’ll leave that to the guards.”

“I want them to try. Then again, it might end with the guards giving up, or Celestia telling them that it’s not going to happen.” Shawn shrugged.

“You’re … a lot more animated than usual,” Grif noted.

“You know how it goes, nearly dying multiple times and I was just reminded again of my own mortality, along with the fact that I am bound to magic in order to live now…” he said before pausing with a sigh. “Really changes you,” he finished.

“Still, this is ...” Pensword shuffled a little on his hooves. “And I have to be without a weapon as they put more importance on my Noble title instead of being the Commander of all Equestrian Forces.”

“I’ll carry spare weapons for you if something happens,” Shawn said.

“By the time the need arises--” Grif grinned arrogantly “--the cause will be dead.”

“If your troops are half as good as the elite Gryphons I faced, I think I can believe it.” Pensword frowned. “Platinum said the Gryphon Slayers can attend as civilians, but not in a military fashion. As she put it, ‘no one would dare attack with all the Princesses present.’” He shook his head, tossing his mane in a frustrated manner. “I don’t like it.”

“You used a contraction!” Lunar Fang cried out, kissing him on the muzzle. Pensword blushed violently.

“That’s not how Celestia feels.” Grif shrugged. “Anyway, when are the elements arriving?” As soon as he asked he heard the hoof steps of the ponies in question.

“Rarity, you didn’t have to pack half your shop,” Applejack sighed with a shake of her head, letting out a equine snort.

“Speak of Tirek ...” Grif said as they turned to the ponies plus dragon.

“Applejack, it’s Twilight’s coronation. I simply can’t go underprepared,” Rarity said as she tossed her mane. Spike faithfully tagged along behind her, laden down with luggage. His knees buckled under the pressure.

“Girls, you don’t have to do this for me,” Twilight protested.

“Actually, we do,” Pinkie Pie said as she hopped beside her. “Since we’re the elements of harmony, Celestia said we have to come to Canterlot for an extra super specially surprising surprise!”

Rainbow Dash stopped mid-flight. “A surprise from Celestia? Like that’s new.” She smiled toothily. “I like that idea though.”

“Okay, girls; line up, please,” Grif said. “Single file. I want to get a few things covered now so they don’t come into question later.”

The six quickly lined up. They were more than a little confused why he’d said please.

“I have officially been contracted by Princess Celestia to provide security for the coronation, the civilians, the city, the ceremony, and specifically, for the six of you. So, until we debark back to this spot in one week's time, you will each be assigned a bodyguard who is not to leave your side until we are all back here.”

“Are you kidding me?” Rainbow Dash zipped into the air as she placed her hooves against her flanks. “We don’t need bodyguards. We can take care of ourselves.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, how many battles have you fought in?” Grif asked. “What’s your kill count? How many times have you needed to actually take a life to protect others?”

“Chrysalis, the Crystal Empire, Nightmare Moon, the Wonderbolt Academy, need I go on?”

“Chrysalis won, at the Crystal Empire you hosted a carnival, Nightmare Moon you came in just in time for Twilight to figure out how the elements work, and please, enlighten me, how much combat experience do you have that's not training sessions?” Grif raised an eyebrow.

Rainbow turned to the rest of the mane six. “Come on, guys. Back me up. We did more than just that, right?”

The rest of the party did a combination of either looking down at the platform, staring off into space, or whistling innocently. Rainbow groaned, then crossed her hooves as she turned to face Grif. “Fine,” she harrumphed.

“Now these cloaks,” Grif waved a talon, indicating the six gryphons in front, “are a little something I brought back from the war. They are specially woven and enchanted to make the user less noticeable to those they do not wish to be seen by. Twilight, as crown-princess-to-be, it seems imperative that I assign you my best warrior,” Grif said as he nodded to the first figure. The cloak shimmered, changing from black to lavender as the gryphoness inside lowered her hood, revealing a familiar face. “You will be guarded by Thalia. I’m not sure if you two met or not, but Thalia is my second in command amongst the gryphons, and, with few exceptions, my best warrior.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Twilight said, extending a hoof to shake. Thalia shook the young mare’s hoof.

“Likewise. I’ll make sure to be as unintrusive as possible.”

“Now, Pinkie Pie, you are a tricky one, what with you being Pinkie Pie,” Grif said. “I don’t know if she’ll be exactly on your level, but you will be guarded by Cheshire.” He nodded as the next cloak in line became a bright pink. The hood lowered, revealing a harrier gryphon with dark red feathers and tan fur. Lynx whiskers protruded from the sides of her beak, and in the stead of the usually wide pupil gryphons were famous for, she had slits. “She is reasonably chaotic and high energy with a dash of insanity. She can also skin a bear with her daggers without waking it up.”

“Ooh, ooh we’re going to have so much fun!” Pinkie smiled, hopping on the gryphoness’ back excitedly.

“Your hair looks like cotton candy!” the gryphoness replied happily. The two immediately began to chatter on the side.

“Now, Rarity, I’m going to be honest. Most of the gryphons in the Bladefeathers don’t really care about fashion,” Grif said. “That being said, I managed to find you a guard who has a natural appreciation for beauty with a natural beauty I think you can appreciate.” Grif nodded to the next gryphon, whose cloak turned a deep purple as she revealed herself. She was a surprisingly beautiful mix of red feathers and green fur. Her tiger cat aspects complimented her peregrine amazingly well. “I am called Griselle,” she said.

Rarity’s eyes sparkled as she gawked, leaning forward as she took in the colors and fur patterns.

“Um … is this normal, Grif?” Griselle asked.

“Rarity, concentrate. You can freak out on the train ride. You're making a scene right now.” Grif snapped his talons.

Rarity blinked a few times, shook her head, then then blushed. “My apologies. I must have looked rather foolish there. But after we get on the train, I’d like to discuss a business proposition with you if you don’t mind.”

“I’m always open to business,” Griselle shrugged.

"Applejack," Grif looked to one of the two massive gryphons. Said gryphon lowered his hood, revealing the red crest and straight beak of a woodpecker with the added features of a mountain lion. "Ganth here is one of my hardest workers. Also, he's as stubborn as a rock. You two should have plenty in common."

“I don’t know much about you, Ganth, but I’m willing to learn if you are,” Applejack said.

“... Sounds fair enough.” Ganth shrugged.

“Now flu…” Grif looked around. “Okay, damnit, where is kel’leam?” Grif said, looking around. “He was there when we left Unity!” The assorted gryphons scanned the crowd to try and locate their missing comrade.

“I’m right here, sir,” a loud sigh said. Grif looked towards the voice.

“Oh, there you are kel’leam,” Grif said, looking at the massive cloaked figure. “Fluttershy, I realize you're shy and you may find the idea of someone following you all week to be a bit off putting, so I have assigned you kel’leam. If you haven’t noticed, he has the weird talent for being easy to forget his presence. If you need him, all you have to do is say his name and he’ll be there.”

“Oh… um… thanks,” Fluttershy said, attempting to hide behind her mane.

“The pleasure is mine, m’lady.” Kel’leam bowed, his armor straps creaking as he lay his broad shield point down on the ground in front of him.

“Now, Rainbow Dash, you're a bit of a tricky one yourself,” Grif noted. “You’re somewhat overconfident about your combat abilities and that can cause you to fly straight into trouble without the humility to fly back out again. Your speed makes keeping track of you difficult, if not impossible at times, so I’ve assigned someone who can keep up with you. She has recently started down a path of humility that I hope will allow her to temper your wild streak,” Grif said.

Rainbow smirked. “Just try to keep up with me. I dare you.”

“Considering it’s to my understanding that you were the one who taught her how to race, I think she’ll keep up with you just fine. Rainbow Dash, your bodyguard is Gilda Bladefeather, formerly of Gryphonia,” Grif said as the gryphoness in question removed her hood. She averted her eyes as her talons clutched at the fabric. The rest of the mane six gasped.

“You didn’t.” Rainbow glared at Grif. “You did not just assign that traitor to guard me.” She turned on the gryphoness. “You here to tell me how much of a dweeb I am, or make one of my friends cry?”

Gilda reared her head back, preparing to retort, but came up short as she caught Grif in the corner of her eye giving her a withering glare. She took a deep breath and let it out in a long sigh before lowering her beak till the tip touched the ground.

“... I’m sorry,” she said gruffly. Given the circumstances, Grif let it go at that for now. “You don’t have to talk with me if you don’t want to, but my job is to keep you safe, and that’s what I’m going to do,” Gilda said.

Rainbow turned with a huff as she folded her forelegs and rushed into the car without another word. Gilda sighed as she looked to Grif.

“It’s not going to be easy,” Grif said. “But it will be worth it.”

“I hope you’re right,” Gilda said as she slowly walked into the carriage. “... I hope you’re right.”

“Alright, girls, you're in the royal car. Your bodyguards will be with you for the trip. I’ll be riding with Lord Shawn and Duke Pensword in the second car. The rest of you troops are in the next two cars. Rest up! It’s going to be a long week,” Grif said as he gave his finishing orders. The gryphons dispersed to their assigned places.

As the friends trotted onto their car, Conor looked inquisitively at the massive greatsword strapped to Shawn’s back.

“Um … Shawn, you can’t walk without that cane, right?” he asked.

“Technically can. Why?” Shawn asked.

“Well, if you’re still weak, I was wondering why you’d be carrying that thing on your back in the first place. Isn’t it hard to bear the extra weight?”

Shawn chuckled. “Still weak…” The chuckle turned into a hearty laugh. “That’s funny!” Shawn said before walking in to join the mane six.

“What? I’m serious!” Conor exclaimed as he disappeared through the door.

“All aboard!” Grif shouted to the conductor, chuckling to himself as he boarded the car and closed the door behind him. “Shawn weak. That’s hilarious.” A rather long and tedious discussion soon followed between the four friends as the three tried to soothe Conor’s concerns.


Princess Luna stood on the familiar cave platform under Canterlot. She looked to the illuminated clock in the stone wall before turning back to the tunnel entrance and fluffed her wings a impatiently. “At least Sister’s plan worked this time around.” She clopped her hoof on the wooden platform twice.

Several minutes later, a steam whistle blew loudly as a train made of finely cut crystal rolled it’s way into the station.

Princess Luna’s features pulled into a smile a brief second before returning to her more neutral appearance. After all, this was an official royal event. The train hissed to a halt as it let out a final puff of steam before settling in at the platform. The single compartment opened as Queen Cadence came trotting out, a smile beaming across her face. Prince Cosey and Princess Alto pranced behind, bouncing around their favorite uncle. Shining Armor looked down at the children and smiled. Soon after, thirty crystal pony guards marched into position, forming two protective lines around the group of royals. Their purple crystal armor complimented their glimmering crystal coats as they stood at attention.

“Oh, Aunt Luna, it’s so good to see you,” Cadence said as she took the lunar princess in a warm embrace. “I hear you’ve been busy since last we met.” Cadence gave Luna a conspiratorial wink.

“Yes,” Luna blushed; “however, we still have much to do before the plans are put into motion.” Cadence’s smile turned to confusion as Luna realized her mistake. “Oh, you mean the new Lunar Capital. Yes, I am very pleased with how it’s been coming along. We even have our own Thestral nobility now.” Luna was suddenly surprised as she was bombarded by the two little heirs while they clutched her legs.

“We missed you, Auntie Luna,” Cosey said.

“I missed her more,” Alto insisted. Luna couldn’t help but chuckle at the cuteness.

“I’m sure you both missed me just as much.” she laughed as she wrapped her wings around them. “But no quarreling, please.”

The two siblings looked at each other, glared a moment longer, then smiled and broke into a fit of giggles. “We were being pretty silly, weren’t we, Cosy?” Alto asked. Cosy nodded as he laughed.

“Well, that’s one crisis averted,” Shining said with a chuckle as he kissed Cadence on the cheek. “How’s my little sis holding up?” he asked.

“You’ll have to speak to Twilight on that,” Luna said with a smirk. “After all, she is a Princess now. That means she’ll be the one to have the final say over your arguments since she left Canterlot for Ponyville.” Luna chuckled. “I hope you’re ready to persuade her.”

“She can try to wriggle out of it all she likes. She’s going to have protection,” Shining said with a snort and a hoof stamp.

“We can talk about that later, honey. Right now, I’m sure everyone’s anxious to get to their rooms and unpack. Let’s worry about the rest after we’re settled in, alright?” She bat her eyelashes as she nuzzled the former commander and his knees buckled.

“Y-yes, dear,” Shining said. Cosey and Alto snickered as the party made their way through the tunnels towards the palace.


Pensword stiffened in his seat. “Err, we are heading towards the hidden entrance.” He slumped a little in his chair. “I hope we are not under arrest again.”

“Hey, I got diplomatic immunity till the end of the week.” Grif shrugged.

“And they have nothing on me,” Shawn replied as he repeated the gesture.

“Nor I, I hope; but still, it is a little worrisome going the same path again. I hope it will have a different outcome,” Pensword said.

“Something you guys haven’t told me yet?” Conor asked with an amused expression on his face.

“Gryphons are sore losers,” Pensword responded as he crossed his forehooves over his chest. Lunar Fang gave a small kiss to the sleeping Moon River as she stirred and yawned in her pouch.

“At least this time I’m prepared for if someone's going to try and kill me,” Grif said.

“Agreed. I hate Black Tips,” Pensword muttered as he turned to look out the window. “The Changeling invasion, being attacked by Black Tips, getting called in front of a court for war crimes, and the gall of them to even try to paint me as a traitor.” He huffed. “I am really hoping this time goes smoother.”

Conor whistled. “Ouch.”

“It won’t,” Shawn replied, leaning back further into his seat as he laid his hands behind his head.

“I see that still hasn’t changed,” Conor said, smirking. “Still waiting to be pleasantly surprised, Shawn?”

“With this event, I don’t see a pleasant surprise, but I know Grif and his team will be able to handle it.”

“Better be careful, Shawn. If I didn’t know any better, I’d almost say you had confidence in me,” Grif said.

Shawn opened his eyes and looked at Grif with a blank stare.

“Well, I would rather have you in charge of security than whoever they got to replace Shining Armor,” Pensword grumbled. “Shinning was at least trying. He was the most competent of the modern day Royal Guard.” He sighed. “I have my work cut out for me when I get the military back on track.”

“Plenty of business for me in the interim though.” Grif laughed.

“Good thing we’ll be here a week. I get to work on a few plans that I’ve been thinking about,” Shawn said, a dark smile growing on his face.

“Good. I think I am going to meet with Queen Cadence to continue the plans for our trip,” Pensword replied as he slowly began to relax. The overall mood in the car reminded him of the good times before the war.

“Do I even want to know what you’re planning, Shawn?” Conor asked dubiously.

“Ah, you shouldn’t have to worry about it,” Shawn replied.

“And now I know I need to worry.” Conor sighed. “Just try not to maim too many people, alright?” he said with a wink.

“Good, Conor is learning.” Pensword laughed. “Oh, we are coming up to the tunnel.”

As the darkness consumed the train, the interior lights flickered to life as their flames bobbed on their wicks. “So uh … which platform is this? I thought Canterlot’s was supposed to be out in the open on the edge of the city,” Conor said.

“This is a more private tunnel, mainly reserved for royals and high nobility. We get a special access to the capital,” Pensword said.

“And here is where the ‘fun’ starts,” Shawn said as he sat up.

The train screeched to a halt as the friends stood to walk out the door. A full squad of guards stood lined on either side at full attention as a large pegasus waited patiently before the door, his broad wings tucked primly against his side. His coat was a stark yellow that gradually faded to a light blue as it hit his mane before turning completely dark. Blue streaks accented the tips of his feathers as he saluted to the company while three guards proceeded to open the train doors. His neon green eyes looked respectfully on the assembly as they disembarked.

“Greetings, your Lordship, I’m Captain Pansy,” the stallion said in a light tenor. “The Princesses asked that I and my men escort you and the rest of you party to your quarters. Rooms and beds have been prepared for each of you for the duration of your stay.”

“Alright then,” Shawn replied simply.

Pensword exited the train car next. He stood at attention next to the couch car’s door as he awaited the disembarkment of the soon-to-be Princess Twilight Sparkle.

“I want a full mapping of where your guards are, captain,” Grif said as he stepped off the train. “I need to know where to disperse my people.”

“It’s already prepared.” The colt took out a large sheath of folded parchment from his breastplate. “I want everything to go smoothly just as much as you do. If there’s anything I or my troops can do to help, we will.”

“Your guards understand that anyone found with ill intent has no chance of survival, correct?” Grif asked as he took the parchment.

“I had a feeling you’d say something like that. The protection of the Princesses is our number one priority. My men aren’t willing to go quite that far, but we know you gryphons know how to do a job right. I’ll trust you.”

“That’s why I was hired,” Grif said. “Your men are to be informed that they are under no means to obstruct any and all actions of any gryphon wearing this symbol.” Grif tapped the crest on his chest peice. “And, rest assured, Celestia herself approved of this.”

“I’ll make sure to apprise my men. Private Arte,” Pansy barked.

“Yes, sir?” a somewhat smaller unicorn with pale green fur and a white mane stepped forward.

“Take a rubbing of Sir Grif’s crest and make sure to get copies to every sergeant in Canterlot. You have my authorization to use dragon fire delivery. This is of the utmost priority. I’ll include a set of written orders to go with it, which you will also replicate and send out. I want no mistakes from anypony this week.”

“Sir, yes sir!” The pony saluted awkwardly as he rushed forward, levitating a piece of charcoal and spare parchment to take a rubbing of the etching in Grif’s armor. Once he was done, he returned to his post in file with the other guards.

“I want those copies started now, Private. On my desk by the time we finish the escort. Move!” Pansy barked. Arte bolted, his hooves clattering down the corridors and through the cavern as they receded. “He’s a capable enough scribe. Don’t know what he was thinking entering the guard though.” Pansy shook his head. “Will that suffice, Sir Grif?” he asked.

“It will,” Grif said. “I think it’s likely we’ll be having changeling infiltration, so have lanterns posted in tactical areas and keep a tab on any gryphons not wearing my symbol.”

“And what of the allied changelings? Should we be expecting any of them?” Pansy asked.

“The allied hive changelings have normal pony-like eyes and lack the holes in their hooves and bodies. If you still are unsure, you can direct one of my people to the problem, but please remember they won’t be following orders from you.”

“I understand. I only ask that if one of my guards chooses to disregard my orders you don’t kill him or her. Anything else is perfectly fine.” One of the guards’ mouths dropped.

“Is there a problem, Sergeant?” Pansy asked without turning. The unicorn gulped and stood back at attention.

“I will order for no deaths, but I can’t tell them they can’t duel if they feel insulted. That's not my right,” Grif said.

Pansy nodded. “As I said, as long as they don’t kill, I’m fine with any other measures. It’ll teach the rest of the guard humility. Celestia knows we need it.”

Pensword remained silent before snapping back to attention. “Princess-to-be on DECK!” he shouted as Twilight stepped off the train car.

The guard immediately drew their swords in a salute.

“Princess Twilight,” Pansy said, “welcome back to Canterlot.”

“Thank you, Captain, but just Twilight will do. I’m not a princess yet,” she said nervously as she blushed.”

“What are you talking about, darling? Of course you’re a princess.” Rarity placed a hoof around Twilight’s neck and smiled. “You might as well get used to this now, dearie. You’ll be getting a lot of this kind of treatment from now on.”

The rest of the mane six soon disembarked, their cloaked guards sticking to their charges, even as Rainbow shot an angry glare back at Gilda before turning to cluster around Twilight with a smile.

“Well, it looks like the gang’s all here,” Conor said as the rest of the gryphons disembarked from the third carriage. “Where to next?”

Pensword grimaced briefly at the comment before straightening his face and moving to stand as close to Twilight as he could manage. “Twilight, if needed, I am willing to help go through any lists for your Personal Guard.”

Twilight chuckled nervously. “Uh, no thanks, Pensword. I think Spike would prefer to do that.” The little dragon smiled as he hugged her leg. Twilight placed her other hoof against his head and leaned her muzzle down with a loving smile.

“If you all would be willing to follow me, we’ll take you to your quarters,” Pansy said as the gryphons and guards formed up around the party. From this time onward, Grif and his warriors were on the clock.


Pensword looked at the map and back up at Grif. “I am sorry I cannot join in the patrols; however, I can say that I directed Gilda and Rainbow Dash to the room I was using a while ago for their heart to heart.” He broke off from the map and started to pace nervously.

“Just relax,” Grif said. “I have everything under control.”

“I Sure hope so,” Pensword said, deadpanning.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.” Grif deadpanned in return.

“You’re welcome.” Pensword smirked; then his expression returned to a more serious one. “So, anything I should be told about? I still take the fact I am the Commander of Equestrian Armed Forces seriously, even if the other nobles do not.”

“We haven’t even fully scouted canterlot yet,” Grif said. “When I know something, you’ll know something.”

“Thank you,” Pensword responded with a happy sigh. “Now if you excuse me, I have to meet with Princess Luna on what she needs of me for the ceremony, seeing as I am the top Lunar Noble.” He shook his head with an expression that couldn’t be read. “Hopefully it will be short and I can retire for the evening. We will make this work so Moon River will be present as well.”


The room was bare save for a long, empty table. The door had been shut as Dream Clan and Bladefeathers stood guard outside. Within, the two occupants stood facing each other with equally angry glares. None would back down.

“How could you even think I would want your help? I can handle myself,” the multihued maned and cyan coated Pegasus shouted back as her voice cracked.

“You seem to think I had a choice,” Gilda shot back.

“Of course you have a choice. You always had a choice,” Rainbow growled.

“I’ve been assigned to guard you. I can’t just get up and leave ‘cause I don’t like it,” Gilda said. “I’d be as good as dead.”

“Yeah, right. Sure you would,” Rainbow Dash said, her voice heavy laden with sarcasm.

“I’d be alone with no money and no way to maintain my weapons or armor. I’m sorry, but my life has actual problems,” Gilda said. “And I’m not making it worse because I couldn’t do my job.”

“Yeah? Well you haven’t exactly had a clean track record on that one, either,” Rainbow replied.

“I know!” Gilda snarled. “I get it, okay? If you’re going to hate me, then fine, but don’t use your two dimensional reasoning to prevent me from doing my job. I don’t tell you how to make the weather.”

“This isn’t about the weather!” Rainbow flew into Gilda’s face. “This is about my friends. If you think you’re off the hook just because you’ve been gone a year, think again. It doesn’t mean I forgot what you did. Those ponies are like family to me.”

“Good. I hope you're happy with them,” Gilda snapped. “But this is about my job. Nothing else. I don’t do this, I don’t eat. When this is over you can go back to your ‘family’ and you’ll never see me again.”

“Great! You can go back home and tell your family what a great warrior you’ve been. Protecting the elements of harmony. What an honor.”

“DON’T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT MY FAMILY!” Gilda roared into rainbow dash’s face. Her hands clenched into fists as she stood on her hind legs, trembling. “I returned home after leaving flight camp and you know what I found?” Gilda leaned in on Rainbow Dash “My entire clan was dead, killed by a rival clan while I was gone. Everything I owned? Gone. Everyone I loved? Gone!” Her voice suddenly dropped to a quiet, closely controlled tone.

“And when I came back to Equestria seeking the one person in the entire world I have left, she pushed me away. My sister abandoned me. She left me alone and I spent the next year using the few skills my family taught me to stay alive. So go on. Hate me. Tell your damn ponies how horrible I am, but don’t you dare speak about my family, or winds help me, I will kill you myself.” Silence filled the room as the pent up fury finally vented.

Hollow and numb, Gilda spoke up one last time, her voice barely above a whisper. “You wanna know what the worst part is?” She smirked briefly before looking down again. “I’ll never forgive myself afterwards.” With that, Gilda turned around to face the wall, leaning against it as she ground her talons into the mortar before she did something she’d regret. It also served to hide the tears.

Rainbow Dash hovered for a time. She opened her mouth, closed it, opened it again. Nothing came out. Gilda heard the thump as Rainbow settled down on the stone floor. Silence reigned as its sister, regret joined in. It would be a long week indeed for these two sisters: the pony and her guard.


In the crystal caverns beneath canterlot, the miners had been given a week long vacation in honor of the coronation, so the mines were devoid of workers. What they were not devoid of, however, were thestrals, and as Luna’s moon rose high over Canterlot, they and their chieftess assembled in meeting. The former chieftains, now lords and ladies of the Lunar Realm, while still unlanded, took the slot of speakers for the varied new noble houses. Pensword also found himself at this meeting as the High Duke of Ys.

Out of habit, Pensword sat with the Dream Clan. He felt better here as he was expected to attend with a weapon, for one thing. For another, he still had trouble feeling like he could fit in with the nobility in Canterlot. The dirty looks and power struggles from the Third Gryphon War played over and over again in his mind. However, he would not speak openly about his feelings to any but his wife, and so, held his peace as he waited for High Chieftess Luna to call the meeting to order.

“My nobles.” Luna bowed her head to them as she held Meteor Impact as a sign of her strength and authority over them.

“Our Chieftess,” the nobles of the Lunar Realm replied back.

“My children,” she smiled, “in the next eve hence, there will be a ceremony where you will each show your loyalty to the new princess and to my sister.”

A few of the new dukes and dutchess shuffled nervously at the last comment. Duke Flury Fang spoke up. “How do you wish for us to show our loyalty?” He looked around quickly, his posture growing both relaxed and more confident as he saw the others nodding in approval.

“You will each swear and oath of fealty to them and to Equestria,” Luna said. “But, of course, you will not present your weapon. That is my right and mine alone.”

The Thestrals in the room relaxed in one body as they collectively let loose a sigh of relief. “Very well,” Flury Fang of the wolf clan responded. “Shadow Wing of the Fox Tribe wishes to ask a question.”

“Our Chieftess,” Shadow Wing began. “Do we get to choose which to swear fealty to first?”

“Traditionally, it goes from oldest to youngest,” Luna said as she seemed to be examining meteor impact before, quite suddenly, she brought it down, leaving a crater in the floor. “But it is not our way. Our way is to swear loyalty only to someone you will respect. You will swear your loyalty as you see fit, not as their traditions dictate.”

“Thank you,” Shadow Wing responded with a low Thestral bow. The other leaders, Flury Fang, Silent Hoof of the Manticore Tribe, Long Mane of the Lion Tribe, Vulcan Scales of the Dragon Tribe, Blitz Fang of the Viper Tribe, and Lone Claw of the Bear Tribe followed suit.

“Our Chieftess is as wise and giving as ever,” Lone Claw said, his mane tinted by streaks of grey.

“I live only for my subjects,” she responded with a low nod.

“And how shall we gauge if they are worthy? A battle of arms does not seem something that would fit with the filly,” Vulcan Scales said, his scale patterned armor glinting in the dim light of the crystals.

“And yet she was the one who released me,” Luna said. “She also defeated and re-sealed the demon, Discord, was instrumental in the death of the Dark Sorcerer Sombra, and aided in the ongoing reformation of the aforementioned Discord. Are these accomplishments not far more than even my own?” she asked them. A murmur ran through the cave as the council of new nobles spoke amongst one another.

“I know not what you all shall decide, but as for me and my house, we shall pledge loyalty to Princess Twilight. I swore Fealty to the two princess already.” Pensword smiled coyly. “If Princess Celestia still has not gained thy respect, we should pledge our fealty to her last.”

“Then do as you will,” Luna said.

“So be it, then,” Flurry Fang said, his wild mane sticking up behind him as he clopped his hoof against the crystal floor, filling the cave with a musical tone of finality.


Grif waited anxiously on Canterlot’s main platform. Kalima and Shrial would be arriving on the next train at any moment and he had promised to meet them since he couldn’t guarantee how much time he’d be able to give them during the week. The gryphon tapped his talons against the wood anxiously.

The Canterlot Express was a more white and gold engine with coach cars as it huffed into the station, steaming in the mountain air. The engine was engulfed as it braked and hissed. A bell clanged, mixing in with the sound of activity around Grif. He heard the door opening from one of the coach cars as a loud clopping met his ears, followed by a very familiar voice.

“Why, thank you, Big Guns. It’s always so nice to see a young man willing to help an old bird out.” Kalima smiled as the big minotaur blushed. Shrial soon followed her new mother-in-law as she stepped off the train, the steam leaving her fur and feathers glistening as it began to clear.

Grif moved forward and instantly embraced Shrial first, proceeding to kiss her on the beak. The kiss lasted long enough to question its chasteness before Grif let her go and moved over to embrace kalima in a hug.

“And how’s my son doing on his first big job?” Kalima asked, a playful gleam in her eyes.

“No attacks yet, though I’ve got a tail on at least two separately contracted gryphons and a badlands changeling,” Grif noted. “I’m also trying my best to avoid the mutts.” He released her and turned to Big Guns. “Thank you for seeing to their safety, my friend.” He offered his talon.

“The pleasure was all mine.” Big guns took the talon in his four fingered hand. “If anypony tried something, Big Guns would made sure they’d regret it.” He fingered his war axe with surprising familiarity.

“That’s why I didn’t assign anyone else.” Grif smiled. “I hope you will do me the honor of protecting them during this week?”

“After what Thalia did for me? You bet.” Big Guns grinned. “And who knows. Maybe I’ll meet a minotaur or two while I’m here. Might as well get to know a little more about my species.”

“I have heard the lord of the Long Horn Tribe has come to pay his respects,” Grif offered. “The Holsteens, however, have taken this coronation as an offense. I may have to kill a few of them during this week. Please don’t take it personally.”

“No worries there.” Big Guns snorted. “Anybody tries to hurt Twilight, they deserve what’s coming to them.”

“You’re shaping into quite the warrior, Big Guns. I’m going to have to test how skilled you’ve become with those blades sometime. Zecora’s been teaching you how to handle them, right?” Shrial asked. Big Guns blushed.

“Yeah, she has.” The battle hammer on his back, with its living wood, turned a bright cherry red.

“Good. We’ll see about that sometime before the coronation. I’m sure the guards won’t mind if we use their training grounds,” Shrial said.

“Yes, ma’am,” Big Guns said. He knew arguing with the willful gryphoness was useless as he rubbed a sizable lump on his head. That rock she’d thrown had weighed a lot, and Shrial had surprisingly good accuracy.

Smirking on seeing the Minotaur’s reaction, Shrial turned to face her mate. “So, where to, Grif?” she asked as she fidgeted with her armor. Kalima smiled knowingly.

“Well, we should get you set up in the palace.” Grif smiled. “I think it will be better. Then you can get out of that armor for a bit. Remember, you’re not on duty; you're here to relax, spend the princess’ money, and be there for the coronation. For the next few months you only have one job.”

“I know, I know. Make sure to keep these little ones safe and sound,” Shrial said as she put a hand to her stomach before caressing Grif’s beak and pulling him in for another kiss. “You will be safe, won’t you?” She asked, concern written on her brow.

“I’ve got one gryphon for every ten guards out on patrol right now, and if there’s one thing you know I’m good at, it’s tracking things down and making them dead,” Grif reminded her.

“I know. I just worry sometimes,” she said.

“We’d best be going, Shrial,” Kalima said as she lay a taloned hand on the mother-to-be’s shoulder. “There’s a great deal to do before the coronation, and I, for one, would like to see what the royal palace is like. You think you can humor an old bird?” she asked as she winked at Grif.

Shrial sighed. “I guess you’re right.” Then she smiled. “I’m looking forward to seeing you tonight, though, Grif.” With that said, the party departed the platform as they made their way through the station. “Oh, can we stop somewhere along the way?” she asked. “I have the strangest urge for coffee and donuts.”

“I might know a place.” Grif laughed as they made their way out of the station and into the crowd.


“You heard me right, Captain,” Shawn said as he casually leaned on his cane, peering at Pansy from behind the desk.

“You do realize I’ve mobilized the entire garrison, as is, just to keep the order here. Even with Grif’s help, Canterlot’s going to be a major hoof full this week,” Pansy said as he placed yet another letter into the dragon flame lamp.

“Considering the amount of Gryphons Grif brought, as well as how much he has trained them, I’m positive they can handle the situation for an ‘hour,’” Shawn replied.

Pansy narrowed his eyes. “Just what are you trying to prove, Lord Shawn.”

“Not trying to prove anything, and please, no titles,” he replied before a small smirk grew on his face. “I’m simply wanting to test the skill and capabilities of the guard.”

“And you’re sure that won’t be a hinderance?” Captain Pansy asked as he motioned towards the cane.

“If anything, this is overkill,” Shawn said, the grin still on his face.

Pansy sighed. “I can’t exactly deny a direct request from a lord.” He placed a hoof on his chin. “Give me some time to talk with Grif about it. I don’t know if he’d approve, but if he agrees to cover the city, I am willing to allow your request.”

“I’m sure he’ll love the idea,” Shawn said with a light chuckle. “Isn’t that right, Grif?”

“Yeah, we have enough gryphons to do this job on our own. An hour is nothing.” Grif chuckled as he entered the room, silently signaling two gryphons outside the window that they could finally interrigate one of the detected changelings unhindered.

“You’ll accept full responsibility?” Pansy asked, his expression grave.

“Honestly, I accepted full responsibility when I accepted the contract. Two hundred or so badly trained fighters isn’t going to change my plans one way or the other,” Grif said. “No offense.”

Pansy sighed. “As much as I’d like to object, none taken. Half these soldiers don’t even know the meaning of the word fight. They just like to prance around in their armor and put on a show. I’ve been trying to change that.” He looked to Shawn. “If it’s a sparring match you want, it’s a sparring match you’ll get. We’ll start with the noblemen in the troops. That way they won’t feel nervous about challenging an equal. Give me a few hours to get things organized and meet us in the training grounds at the barracks.”

“I’ll be waiting,” Shawn said as he walked out with a flourish of his coat.


Twilight looked suspiciously behind her as she eyed their bodyguards and their colored cloaks. Casually, she sipped at her tea with a hoof as she looked around the table to her friends. Rainbow Dash nodded as she drank deeply from her cup, which had been laden with sugar. Twilight flared her wings as her horn glowed, casting a spell. Before the gryphons could react, a large, purple-pink bubble had surrounded the six, preventing all sound from getting in or out. The Guards cursed as they hacked and slashed at the barrier, only to find their weapons ineffective. The princess-to-be astutely noted when one of them left out the door. “Alright,” She began, “I’m guessing we only have a few minutes before Grif gets in here and breaks the spell, so let’s get our business done before he has the chance. Rainbow Dash, what is it you wanted to talk to us about?”

The pegasus fluttered nervously inside the bubble, a behavior that was very unlike the normally brash and assertive pony. “I… I think I screwed up, you guys.” Rainbow was barely able to choke the words out.

“How do you mean, dear?” Rarity began. “This wouldn’t happen to have anything to do with a certain gryphoness, would it?”

Rainbow nodded and blushed. “I just learned something big. Something huge!”

“Oh dear,” Fluttershy responded with a look of concern. “What’s wrong?”

Applejack nodded sagely. “I think we can promise not to tell any others if that’s what you want.” She looked to Rarity. “Isn’t that right, sugarcube?”

“Of course, darling,” Rarity responded.

Rainbow Dash took a big, long breath before she told the story of her fight with Gilda and everything she had learned.

Twilight looked into her teacup for a moment. “I think you need to apologize. You don’t have to be friends right away, but if you’re going to put this behind you, you need to start somewhere.”

“Thats never going to cut it,” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, shaking her head. “Twilight, I abandoned her.” Tears slowly began to develop in the pegasus’ eyes. “I was all she had left and I sent her away.” Rainbow dropped into her cushion with a big flop and flopped her head between her forehooves as she splayed them on the table.

“You didn’t know any better, darling,” Rarity said as she put a consoling hoof over the Pegasus. “None of us did.”

“I didn’t bother to ask, did I?” Rainbow said. “I knew something was up. I mean, it’s a long way between Ponyville and the empire, and with her family, she could never do long trips at the drop of a hat. I knew something was wrong and I didn’t ask. When my mom died, Gilda was right there for me. When hers was gone, I left her alone.”

Pinkie Pie appeared beside Rainbow Dash, hugging her fiercely. “Well, Dashie, all we have to do then is find some super duper most important way of saying sorry to Gilda. If she wants to try and be friends with us again, we can try too. Ooh, I know, I know! We can throw a super duper I’m super sorry for hurting your feelings party! I’ll get started on the cake!” Pinkie fished around in her mane, pulling out flour, a mixing bowl, and other ingredients.

Twilight looked to Rainbow Dash. “Is there anything else you need to tell us, Rainbow? As it is, I’m afraid I just put Celestia in serious trouble. … And I think we just ran out of time,” she said, a little frightened as a very angry looking Grif strode into the room.

Grif stood in front of the bubble, glaring as he held a talon on the shield. The guards formed up behind him, watching intently. As the talon made contact the magic began to condense and crystallize. This spidered out quickly, forming an archway. With a careful flourish, the gryphon drew his sword and cut within the crystal, causing the magic of the bubble to shatter like glass before vanishing. “So, Twilight ... did you want this whole princess thing to end before it began? Is that it?” To make his point, he pulled something from his bag and threw it to the ground. Only after it had sunk into the wood did the ponies realize it was the horn of a changeling.

“If you’re gonna be angry, then be angry at me. I’m the one who put her up to this.” Rainbow Dash flew up and into Grif’s face. “I needed to talk with my friends about something important, and it had to be private.” Against her will, Rainbow Dash took a guilty glance at Gilda. “I don’t want to hurt anypony any more that I have.” She crossed her hooves as he realized she had spoken maybe a little too much.

“Twilight, what are the properties of the mandrake plant?” Grif asked, heedless of Rainbow Dash’s objection.

“It’s a powerful magical plant known for being extremely healthy for mothers developing children. It’s also able to completely bypass any and all types of magical blocking,” Twilight recited from memory.

Grif pulled out a bolt from his bag and tossed it down beside the changeling horn. “And what would these mandrake root bolts have done to the six of you in this bubble while your guards watched helplessly after they’d been trying to get to you over the last few minutes?” Grif asked her, looking around.

“I realise this is unpleasant for you. I realise it’s not nice to have someone you don’t really know shadowing you, but this is necessary. This isn’t something we’re doing because it’s fun. There have been 50 death threats sent to Celestia from foreign nations already towards the new princess and you girls, and two threats to take out the city in general. I’m trying to keep you alive. I know Equestria doesn’t do coronations very often, but believe me when I say this; until you're back at ponyville, all six of you are dancing on the edge of a knife.” Grif looked at Rainbow. “I’m pretty sure you learned about group responsibility back at the Wonderbolt Academy, Rainbow. You asked twilight to do this and she went ahead with it, and from the looks on the faces here, no one bothered to put up any objections. That makes all six of you at fault.

“I’m going to talk to Celestia, and, as I’m sure Twilight’s aware, if this happens again, I am going to be forced into more drastic measures than any of us would like. Movement restrictions, curfews, possibly even being confined to your rooms for the week.”

“What was I supposed to do?” Rainbow’s voice cracked. “Involve the entire guard in my mistake?” A pained expression crossed her eyes a moment and was gone. “I did what I thought was right.”

“You come to me and you request a panic room for the six of you to meet in,” Grif said. “You do not act like this. If I didn’t know any better, I would have believed Spitfire went over this plan with you; in regard to security and how to behave, at least.”

“No, she didn’t,” Rainbow Dash responded. “If we had a problem, we’d sort it out ourselves and take it to the skies.” Her expression faltered. “Um … can we have a panic room?” she asked weakly.

“... I’ll work on having one prepared.” Grif sighed. “As of this moment, I need to have you six moved. ‘Cause now they know where you are.”

Rainbow Dash nodded, returning to her normal posture. “Sure,” she said, trying to hide her still smarting ego. “I recommend separating us till the panic room’s ready.” She looked to the others. “I’ll see you later, girls,” she said as she slowly plodded out of the room, Gilda close behind.

“For what it’s worth,” Grif whispered as she passed, “she wants to forgive you. We’re a stubborn species, but I think you can still fix things.” A small spark returned to Rainbow’s eyes and she raised her head slightly before she fully left the room.

Grif nodded to Gilda as she left silently behind Rainbow. “Okay, as for the rest of you, I want these girls in different corners of the palace within fifteen minutes, preferably someplace with no windows. I’ll send a messenger for you when their panic room is ready. Get going,” Grif ordered. The remaining elements paired off with their guards and were led away.

Twilight remained in the room, staring at the arch Grif had crystallized. “How are you going to get rid of that anyway?” she asked.

“Unless shawn can use it, I’ll probably find somewhere out of the way and bleed it off slowly. It should be fine,” Grif said. “I’ve been practicing this part for a while. I think I can handle it.”


Gilda led Rainbow through the halls of the palace and down the stairs. “The best place is below ground,” she said, looking forward.

“Fine,” Rainbow Dash mumbled as they headed down the stairs. “I messed up again,” she sighed, most likely not realizing she’d said it aloud.

“At least you still have a life, people that love you,” Gilda said. “The screw up didn’t ruin your life, so mare up and deal with it.”

“But that’s the point. I could’ve handled it if it was just me, but I put everypony else in danger, too. I put you in danger.” Rainbow turned with a snort. “I’m the element of Loyalty.” Then her head lowered as her face fell. “Some element holder I turned out to be.”

“Danger is my life,” Gilda answered, drawing her axe. “This isn’t for show, you know.”

“I know,” Rainbow said. “Still, what I did back in Ponyville wasn’t right. I, well, I felt like you were tearing me away from my friends, making me choose one or the other.”

“... I was grieving.” Gilda spoke in a half hearted tone, staring into the darkness ahead. “It doesn’t excuse how I acted.”

“Sounds like we both weren’t the best girls,” Rainbow said as she looked to Gilda. The two continued on in silence for a time. “I know it’s not worth much, but ... I’m sorry,” Rainbow said, careful not to look the gryphoness in the eye just yet.

“Look,” Gilda said, puffing up for a time. Her pride was about to get to her until she looked at Rainbow Dash. In all her days with the mare, she’d never seen her like this. Her mane was down, her tail limp, and her eyes dimmed from their usual enthusiasm to dying embers. “I … I’m sorry, too,” Gilda finally let out. Unlike the first time, this, Rainbow could tell, came from the heart. “I just didn’t know how to tell you. You’re like the toughest person I know.”

“Same here, Gilda.” Rainbow Dash responded. “I want to say we can start from the beginning again, but we both know we can’t. So, maybe we can sort of meet up in the middle?” She asked, her voice a little more hopeful.

“I … I’d like that,” Gilda said.

She opened one of the cellar doors, leading them into the brewery where barrels upon barrels of apple cider sat in stock, waiting to be tapped. “You wanna to do the Cheer later?” Rainbow asked, her ears laid back a little.

“Not while I’m working,” Gilda said, shaking her head. “You think they're going to need all this?” she asked, gesturing to the cider.

“I don’t think they’ll miss just one barrel,” Rainbow said with a mischievous smirk. “Just wait till Cider season at Sweet Apple Acres, though. They have the best cider around, hooves down.”

Gilda selected a small cask and lifted it down, carrying it towards the brew master’s work area. She grabbed the mallet and the tap, lined it with the notch in the lid, and began driving it home.

Rainbow Dash seemed to be thinking about something. “Gilda, hold on a second.” The gryphoness stopped her work, looking up with a confused brow. “I, I know that I was a crummy friend in the past, but I, I want to do something before we start drinking. It’s something I should’ve done a long time ago.” She slowly walked toward Gilda, spreading her wings as she went. She turned her head and picked a primary Feather. Grabbing the best one she could find with her teeth, she yanked it out. “Gilda, I solemnly swear on my honor as a pegasus to stand at your side, and be there if you want me. Not just as a friend, but … awww shucks, I’m not good at all this mushy stuff.”

Gilda stared at her for a moment, tears welling up in her eyes. Finally, after a few moments that felt like an eternity, the gryphoness moved forward and Rainbow felt herself fully embraced in a bear hug. “Thanks.” It was the only word Gilda could say right now. “Thanks,” she choked.

“Sisters?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Sisters.” Gilda laughed for the first time in a very, very long time as years worth of pain and stress began to melt. It would take time for all the scars to heal, but for now, this was enough. She smirked. “Now come on, ya slow poke, let’s drink,” she said, taking out a pair of dusty mugs from the table.

“Who’re you calling slow?” Rainbow said, her tone menacing. She held that pose for all of a few seconds before they both broke down into fits of laughter. Gilda proceeded to dispense the cider, and they both had a toast before entering a drinking contest.

“First one to the bottom of the barrel wins,” Gilda said.

“You’re on!”


Shawn stood leaning against his cane, a bored expression on his face as he waited for the guard to show up to the training grounds. He didn’t have to wait long as the uniform tromp of hooves and armor sounded, practically shaking the grounds as column after column of pony guards came marching into the arena and filing into the seats. Overhead, a shadow descended as Pansy alighted to the ground.

“There, that should be all of them. Things should be ready in about five minutes once the guards are finished getting into position,” the pegasus said.

“Perfect,” Shawn replied as he swapped the cane to his left hand. Reaching his hand up, he grabbed the grip of his greatsword, unsheathing it. He looked it over before flipping it in his hand and stabbing it into the ground beneath him, crushing some of the gravel to powder as other stones spat out in various directions with the force of the impact. “I’ll be fighting without this.”

“You prefer hoof to hoof combat?” Pansy asked.

“Nah, be sure each of them have a weapon,” Shawn replied as he looked to the group.

Pansy balked. “You’re kidding, right? Do you have a death wish or something?”

“Oh, that’s funny.” Shawn grinned. “I’m just making things fair.”

“Who do you think you are, Hammer Strike or something?”

“Nah, he has his method to things, I have my own,” Shawn replied with a shrug.

Pansy face-hoofed. “The things I have to put up with.” He sighed. Alright, if you insist, I’ll have my men use their weapons. I won’t allow lethal force, though.”

“Your choice.”

“Officers, line up: one on one!” Pansy looked at the Guards as they followed their orders. “House Jade, you can go first,” Pansy said as a white Unicorn with a green mane stepped forward, his golden armor gleaming.

The unicorn sat there, complacent for a time as he gauged his opponent. In a spilt second, he struck, moving for the cane. He had been very accomplished in his guard training, which made it all the worse when Shawn brought the ball of the cane into the side of his face mid-approach, sending the stallion to the ground and sliding to the side. Dust and gravel flew, shifted, and bounced with the force while the onlookers gawked. A collective gasp filled the stadium as several guards cringed.

“You know, I said I wanted to make things fair. At least send five,” Shawn called out to Pansy.

Cynical laughter slowly made its way through the arena as sergeants from various platoons pictured the things the guard could do to this upstart. Pansy looked at Shawn, more than a little surprised at how easily he had taken out the first soldier. Then he smiled. “Why not?”

The next five didn’t fare much better than their comrade. Three sweeping blows later they lay sprawled out around Shawn. Pansy kept smiling, even as the other nobles balked. About twenty minutes later, most of the guard were either knocked out or swaying on the sidelines, having been spared the dishonor their fellows would bring upon themselves. A variety of welts and bruises decorated their flanks, legs, and faces as they looked on or slept as the case may be.

“So, how many guards can you spare in total?” Shawn asked.

Pansy looked over the remainder of his troops. “Considering the number who’ll need bedrest now, probably about eight more, counting the four you said could stay on.”

“Let’s do all of them then,” Shawn said, leaning on the cane in his right hand.

Pansy raised an eyebrow.

“I mean, got to keep things interesting,” Shawn shrugged. “Don’t worry, I won’t injure them too badly,” he finished, giving a dark grin.

Captain Pansy barely suppressed the shudder. “Attack!” he ordered.

The eight guards spread out, this time attempting a multipronged attack. shawn answered them with large sweeping blows. A pair of hooves managed to slam into his shoulder moments before he spun around, bringing the ball end of the cane into the pegasus’ chin. The pegasus spun in the air, landing on his hooves as he rubbed his jaw. Surprisingly, he was still standing.

“Well, that was one hit,” Shawn said aloud. “Should give that colt a raise or something for that.”

“I’ll consider it.” Pansy said, smirking as the rest of the guards were systematically dealt with. The pegasus, much to his credit, turned out to be the last pony standing, and even got the chance to shake Shawn’s hand in a show of sportsmanship when the fight was done. Humility had been dealt swiftly. Maybe now those lazy ponies would actually start to take the job seriously.

“Alright, listen up everypony. I want you all to report to the infirmary. Anypony who’s unconscious or unable to move will be assisted by their fellow guards. File the nature of the affliction as a training accident, understand?” Pansy asked. The ponies grumbled.

“I said, do you understand?” Pansy yelled.

“Sir, yes, sir!” The ponies said, not willing to risk a second beating. They soon hobbled, hovered, and levitated their way out the entrance and towards the infirmary. Their slow, heavy gait seemed more like a funeral march than a military one.

“I guess this finishes our ‘training’ session then,” Shawn replied. “A shame that I’m unable to fully move and fight just yet. Still healing and whatnot.”

The Guards all froze briefly before moving a little quicker to get away from this being. Shawn heard one noble’s son speak under his breath. “Glad they’re on our side.”

“I’ll leave you to your duties, Pansy,” Shawn said as he pulled his greatsword out of the gravel and put it onto his back. “Have fun.”

“After what I just saw, I don’t know what could be better. Thanks for roughing them up for me. Now I know where they need to improve most.”

Shawn smirked and gave a two fingered salute as he walked to the main gate, his coat billowing behind him as the wind blew the dust from the gravel he trod on.


The light filtered into the Canterlot throne room through the stained glass windows, bathing the hall every color imaginable and giving a fitting rainbow display to the event that was to take place. The coronation was now less than 72 hours away, and, unfortunately, this meant taking care of the less glamorous side with welcoming a new royal: the politics.

Celestia stood to the left of her throne dressed in her full ceremonial jewels and torc. The only peice off about her usual formal display was the polished greatsword strapped to her side. The blade, while similar to the original, did not compliment the the sheath in which it sat, telling of the lesser quality of the blade itself.

To the right of the throne, Luna stood in her full ursa armor. Only replacing the helmet with her tiara, she stood a great image of imposing strength. As always, Meteor Impact was strapped on her back. The great war hammer looked far too ancient and powerful in comparison to the sword Celestia now carried.

Directly in front of the two stood Queen Cadence, her body cloaked in a robe made of fine scarlet and purple thread as a testament to her station as ruler of the Crystal Empire. Her tiara had been replaced by the ceremonial crown of the empire. Suspended in her magic, a gold scepter with a large diamond cut like a heart at the top sat waiting.

All three authority figures stood straight, their posture perfect, their expressions serene, something made even more impressive by the fact they had held this pose for almost three hours as Fancy Pants continued the traditional speech.

“And so, by the edict of Faust, as decided upon by the founders of Equestria upon their choice of giving the kingdom over to Celestia and Luna, as an alicorn, we welcome you as our new princess. As speaker of the house, I hereby give the nobles’ support for this forming of the fourth royal house. Faust bless House Sparkle. Long may it rule, and glorious be its reign.”

“Long may it rule!” the guards and other assembled ponies echoed.

“And now, your highness, if you would take the stand in order to nominate your deputy houses.” Fancy Pants gestured to Twilight with a hoof before stepping down.

“... I can’t feel my legs,” Fancy pants whispered to Fleur as he sat, exhausted.

Twilight Sparkle nodded as she did her best to hide her nervous expression. She gulped as she stepped onto the stand and looked upon the gathering.

“Thank you, Fancy Pants. It’s truly an honor to know that I have the support of all Equestria’s nobility in this. As you all know, no princess is anything without her support, her houses, to depend upon. These houses become her friends, her closest allies, and those to whom she can turn in times of need. Bearing these things in mind, it is my desire to form five new houses under my standard to be my allies, my advisors, and my constant friends. I propose the families Apple, Pie, Belle, Dash, and Fauna. They’ve been my constant friends in life, protecting me, helping me, loving me, as I have in turn with them. It seems only fair that my closest friends stay my closest friends in the coming years as we build the kingdom together.”

“Are there any objections?” Luna asked, looking to Fancy Pants and the others.

“The House of Lords will accept the princess’ decision on this matter,” Fancy Pants answered. He took his monogram off and polished it casually as he looked to the princess meaningfully before returning the lens to its proper place. The predetermined signal forewarned Luna that the choice was not totally without complaint.

“Very well, then,” Luna said. “Let it be known from this day forward that these aforenamed houses are now nobility and granted the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities involved with such titles.”

Cadence stepped forward with an encouraging smile to her little sister-in-law as she raised the scepter. “Let the ponies step forward.”

The five aforementioned ponies did so hesitantly.

“As Queen of the Crystal Empire, and Princesses of Equestria, we three stand here as witnesses of the verification of royal blood. These five ponies have proven their nobility time and time again in the defense of this country when no other would rise to its aid. Many fled in terror. Others fled to their homes, barring entry to all who stood in need. These five would not. Standing with Princess Twilight, they took the elements of harmony in hand, saving our world from untold calamity, and saving my Empire from the desolation and slavery that came from the dreaded King Sombra. For such loyalty, honesty, generosity, kindness, and laughter, we thank you.” With that said, and more than a few nobles stinging from the Queen’s remarks, Cadence levitated the sceptre to Twilight.

“Princess Twilight, they are your friends. Will you do them the honor?” Cadence asked.

Twilight took a deep breath before concentrating. In a flash of purple light, something materialized into her magical grip. The glaive staff stood at just over six feet long with a long oak handle treated with different preservatives and varnishes. Runes glowed faintly in response to the magic that held it aloft. At the end, pointing towards the floor, a long, thin double-edged blade stretched outwards. on the other end five long root-like tendrils grew, which each held five smaller stones the same color as her friends’ elements. A large, pale ruby that had been grown with amethyst veins within to form a familiar six pointed star sat proudly on its own stand, secured and protected by the roots and supporting stones.

“I, Princess Twilight, extend to my you friendship and my love. Will you swear fealty to me and my house, and support me as you always have?” She asked. While her bearing was confident, her eyes told a different story to the five friends who stood before her.

“Of course, silly filly,” Pinkie said, the first to speak.

“We’re always with you, sugarcube,” Applejack followed up.

“We’ve always got your back,” Rainbow said with a cocky smirk.

“Of course. Who else could you rely on to make all your royal gowns?” Rarity asked with a mischievous smile.

“Um … what they said,” Fluttershy said, blushing violently.

Twilight’s eyes watered briefly before she swept the tears away with a foreleg as her friends all knelt before her.

“Then by the powers vested me, I dub you Dutchess Applejack, of Sweet Apple Acres; Dutchess Fluttershy of the gentle forest; Dutchess Rainbow Dash, Nature’s Hoof; Dutchess Pinkie Pie, Lady of Laughter; and last, but not least, Dutchess Rarity of the gem fields. Rise, Ladies of the court. Rise, my friends.” Twilight beamed as the mares rose to their hooves and she embraced each and every one of them.

“Then there is no more business to address in this meeting,” Celestia said, stepping forward. “Let it be written in the history books today that we accept House Sparkle as the new royal house of Equestria, and henceforth, she shall be coronated in three days’ time.” The solar princess stomped her hoof. “Court is dismissed.” As the nobles filed out, the five friends swarmed Twilight in a massive group hug while their guards watched from the side, ever wary of attempts that may come, but even they couldn’t help but crack a smile at the scene.

“Atta girl, Rainbow Dash,” Gilda whispered.


Twilight Sparkle and her friends were led into a room that she remembered seeing only once in her life: the symbolic center of the kingdom, the royal council chamber. Where once there had been only three thrones, now a fourth stood around the table. Each throne with a cutie mark embroidered upon the back of the seat that rested on a three tiered deis. She recognized Celestia’s throne, designed to compliment the colors of her coat and mane, and then there was Cadence’s throne, followed by Luna’s. What brought pause was her own throne, sized the same as the others. Twilight knew it would dwarf her at the moment, but she had a feeling she would grow into it in time.

Celestia smiled as she led her former student to the throne. “Please,” She said in her kind, motherly voice. “Sit down and I’ll help you through the ceremony.” Celestia sat on the fluffy ornate carpet. Tapestries of Equestrian houses decorated the hall, yet the actual house emblems were emblazoned upon the vaulted ceiling. Several empty spaces and slots waited to be filled, and if Twilight knew anything about her teacher, Celestia was probably planning to do just that with new houses and emblems soon enough. Twilight quickly turned back and looked upon the gathering nobles.

“Members of the solar court,” Celestia spoke calmly as she eyed the inhabitants of the room. “When cadence was crowned as a princess, you were all expected to swear fealty to her. Today, Equestria has a new princess to be crowned, and as such, I would ask that you all swear your fealty to her, just as you swore to Cadence, and as your ancestors swore to me. Who will step forward first?” she asked, looking around.

“I think, your highness,” Twilight Velvet said as she moved to the front of the room. “In the fairness of our relation, it would be most fitting if my house swore its fealty first.”

“Very well, Velvet of House Twilight.” Celestia nodded. “Do you and your house promise to follow the rule of Twilight Sparkle? Do you swear to uphold the honor of its name? Do you pledge yourself to the strength of its crown?”

Twilight Sparkle looked nervously as her mother proudly lowered her head. “In the name of my house, I pledge House Twilight to the sun, the moon, the love within the heart, and to you, Twilight Sparkle.”

“I ... I accept your pledge, Mo--Twilight Velvet. I’ll do my best to be worthy of your name,” Twilight responded, her voice shaking slightly.

Twilight Velvet raised her head with a proud look to her daughter before backing away three steps. Then she bowed again. Twilight, at a whisper from Celestia, bowed her own head in acknowledgment. With that, Twilight Velvet smiled as she returned to the herd of the Solar Court.

Fancy Pants was the next to approach. He, too, proudly bowed his head and his voice held only sincerity and truth as he spoke. “In the name of my house, I pledge House Pants to the sun, the moon, the love within the heart, and to you, Twilight Sparkle.”

“I accept your pledge, Fancy Pants. I will do my best to be worthy of your name.” Twilight replied, her voice gaining a bit more strength to it. As Fancy Pants repeated the motions, Twilight returned with her own head bow. She gazed upon the rather large group as Fancy returned to join it.

The next to step forward was Baron Blueblood, who held a neutral expression. He bowed like the others, kneeling on his right foreleg as his head bowed deep to ground. “In the name of my house, I pledge House Blueblood to the sun, the moon, the love within the heart, and to you, Twilight Sparkle.” He did not raise his head as Twilight began to speak.

“I accept your pledge, Baron Blueblood. I will do my best to be worthy of your name.” She waited as Baron Blue blood got up and stepped back four paces before bowing. Twilight flicked her eyes to Celestia, she had picked up on the departure from routine. After a moment, Celestia nodded slightly and Twilight bowed in return, letting Baron Blueblood return to the group.

The rest of the nobility, from High Dutchess Platinum to Duke Pansy, all took turns to swear fealty to the new Princess. Twilight noticed that as they kept moving forward some were already leaving the room, their task over, while others yet remained.

Soon, only her friends were left to swear. This brought confusion as Celestia moved to sit on her throne and the five ponies found themselves slowly pushed forward.

Celestia looked to Twilight, then back to the element holders. “Do you, the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, swear fealty to all the crowns of Equestria?” Here, Princess Luna and Queen Cadence entered and took seats upon their thrones. “If you swear fealty to the crowns, repeat after me.”

The Element Holders repeated the words. “As Nobles,” Each one stated their new house name. “We do solemnly swear not just our own lives, but the blood of our future to the crown and to the ruling of Equestria in all fairness, so help us Faust.”

Twilight smiled at her friends before she turned to the herd of solar nobility, at least what remained of it. “Before we go, there is one more piece of business I wish to handle. There is a family who was thought to have died in service to Equestria during the Third Gryphon War. However, through working with a friend, it has become apparent they have a living descendant within equestria. This ancient family’s loyalty can never be brought to question. For this reason, I hereby take House Hooves in as a cadet branch of House Sparkle. In this action, I, with the support of Princess Celestia, award nobility and the title of baroness to Derpy Hooves of Ponyville by virtue of her bloodline from the last brother of Baron Happy Hooves.” Twilight spread her wings wide and looked down at them.

“By the power vested in us as Princesses of Equestria, we restore House Hooves’ rights and privileges as a noble house,” Celestia finished, clopping her hoof against the arm of her chair with a resounding whack.


They took time to eat dinner, and while others were going to bed, Celestia, Luna, Cadence, and Twilight were gathered on their thrones. Well, Luna was standing at the doors as she looked to her sister. She took a breath as she stepped forward with an air more recognizable in the Thestral society. She was fully dressed in her Ursa Major Armor. Above them all, a small full moon hung in the air, giving the room an eerie light as the only source of illumination.

“Thestrals of the Lunar Court,” Luna said, looking out over the Lunar Nobility. “The time has come for you to affirm your loyalty to Equestria by swearing your fealty to its princesses. Who will be the first?”

Pensword stepped forward, dressed in the armor of the Third Gryphon War minus the wing blades. On his back, the Ursa Minor cloak hung and glowed with the stars of a foreign land. He bowed, flaring his wings out in the manner of the thestrals. “By the light of the Moon, I, High Duke Pensword of House Pen, pledge the strength of the wings of House Pen to thee, Twilight Sparkle, and to thee, Princess Celestia. May the light of the full moon reveal the shadows of harm to thee.”

Twilight looked nervously at the small notecard in her hoof. “We accept thy pledge.” She bowed her head and flared her wings as well. “We shall strive to be worthy of thine honor and respect.”

Celestia bowed and flared her wings as well. “We accept thy pledge, and we shall strive to be worthy of thine honor and respect.”

A Thestral mare stepped forward next, dressed in traditional Thestral armor with hints of Lunar Guard accents. She was a moonkissed with a midnight purple coat, stepping into the light, even as Pensword stepped away. The two nodded to one another as friends passing. The Mare bowed and flared her bat wings. “By the light of the Moon, I, Baroness Whirlwind of house Dream, pledge the strength of the wings of the House Dream to thee, Twilight Sparkle, and to thee, Celestia. May the light of the full moon reveal the shadows of harm to thee.”

Twilight and Celestia followed suit with the same reply they gave to Pensword: what appeared to be a Thestral greeting tradition. The next to step forth was a Thestral stallion whose mane was as black as a lightless cave. His coat was a light wolf-grey. The moonlight gleamed off his full set of Lunar Guard armor. He bowed low, following the custom. “By the light of the Moon, I, Duke Flury Fang of house Fang, pledge the strength of the wings of House Fang to thee, Twilight Sparkle, and to thee, Celestia. May the light of the full moon Reveal the shadows of harm to thee.”

As twilight and Celestia once again replied, the stallion stepped back and returned to the herd. he nodded to a mare as she stepped forward. The Mare bowed, her mane a dark brown. The armor she wore was was a polished mix of solar and lunar armor. Her left eye had a nasty scar that was covered by a strap of cloth wrapping around her head. Her light brown coat stood out from the others. “By the light of the Moon, I, Dutchess Long Mane of house Lionpaw, pledge the strength of the wings of House Lionpaw to thee, Twilight Sparkle, and to thee, Celestia. May the light of the full moon reveal the shadows of harm to thee.”

And so it continued late into the night.


Conor lay in bed, mumbling in his sleep as he tossed and turned in the dark. A smile was on his face as he settled yet again and sighed contentedly. Tears ran down his cheeks, wetting the pillow as Princess Luna came forth from the shadows. She stepped slowly to the bed, observing the boy as he dreamed. She knew that look, knew those tears only too well from her banishment. Perhaps it would be better to let him sleep a while longer. Such dreams were of the few comforts she’d had on the moon. To deny it to this human, who essentially shared her fate, would be cruel. And yet, was it not for the purpose of alleviating worry and suffering that she had come? She paused a moment longer in indecision. Then she took a breath, exhaled, and proceeded to nudge the human on the shoulder.

“Awaken, young Conor. There is much to be done this night,” Luna said as she shook him.

Conor groaned as the motion took him from his slumber. Back into the darkness, back into the unfamiliar world of Equestria. He sighed. “What is it, Luna?” he asked, punctuating the question with a yawn as he rubbed his eyes, trying to wake his heavy limbs.

“It is time we corrected this issue,” Luna said, pointing to the bump on his forehead with a hoof. “My sister and I think we may have a solution.”

“And you had to wake me in the middle of the night to tell me this?” Conor asked.

“The spell requires secrecy and deep concentration,” Luna said. “We must be very careful about it.”

“Is it dangerous?” Conor asked, the sleep leaving his eyes as the weight of what Luna was saying finally hit him.

“Is anything worth doing truly not?” Princess Luna responded with a nervous smile.

“Luna, just tell it to me straight,” Conor said, sighing. “Why are you really taking me in the middle of the night?”

Luna sighed. Clearly she was out of practice. “We don’t know how shawn will react. Last time Celestia did something he didn’t like, she spent an entire week sparring with him straight.” Luna looked into Conor’s eyes. “We don’t know what he’d do to us this time.”

“So it’s not really dangerous, just something you’re scared Shawn’ll get upset over?” Luna nodded. “Okay, then.” Conor rose to his feet as he fumbled to pull his clothes on before turning to face the lunar princess. “Let’s go, Luna.”

Luna’s horn lit and the two of them vanished before reappearing in one of the long corridors in the palace next to Celestia. “We shall have to ‘hoof it’ from here as I’m told the expression is.”

“Fine by me,” Conor said. “Hello, Celestia.” Conor smiled. “So that’s what teleportation feels like.” His eyes spun slightly before he shook his head, returning them to normal. “What?” he asked as the princesses stared at him.

“Are you ready, sister?” Luna looked to celestia.

“Yes,” Celestia said, nodding gravely. “And I think the sooner we take care of this, the better.”

Luna led them slowly down the corridor, which Conor noticed was lined with mirrors of all manner of shapes, sizes, designs, and styles. Some were made of polished bronze, others brass, others silver. They all reflected the moonlight, lighting the corridor in silvery-white, except for one. Luna stopped before the large, ancient mirror. Its frame was formed of ebony and stylized with the figure of an alicorn traveling up on one side and a nightmare traveling down on the other. The face, however, was the real curiosity. A pool of dark and black seemed to devour the light that struck it.

“Okay … portal of some kind?” Conor asked, a little creeped out by the darkness. It rippled and writhed, constantly shifting in their presence.

“Sister, you’re really certain this is necessary?” Celestia asked, doing her best to suppress a shudder.

“I’m certain,” Luna said as she pressed a hoof to the mirror, causing it to ripple, not like water, but more like silk or some other type of smooth fabric. It reminded Conor of the old wave exercises he’d performed with parachutes as a child.

“Any words of advice?” Conor asked.

“Keep looking straight ahead, and whatever you do, keep your eyes on the path,” Celestia said as she shuddered yet again. “If you’d prefer, we can put a blindfold on you and lead you through.”

“Is it really that bad?” Conor asked.

“Can you imagine a perfect nothingness?” Luna asked. “Darker than black, reaching for eternity to your right and your left, both above you and below you?” Her face turned bleak. “For many, such a concept alone could lead to madness. To actually see it has drawn many ponies beyond the scope of sanity.”

“Back home, I was taught never to believe that a space like that could even exist. However,” Conor said, raising a hand to silence the alicorn before she could object. “This is not my world, and this is not my home. For all I know this isn’t even my universe. If you say it’s pure blackness and nothing but, a perfect void, I believe you. I don’t see how I’d lose my sanity from looking into darkness, but I think I can follow the rules pretty well. You do have a guardrail on the path, right?” he asked, a little nervously.

Luna shook her head. “Hold on to my tail,” she advised. “Let that be your guard rail.”

Conor nodded, looking nervously to Celestia.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be right behind you,” she assured him. “Just keep looking forward, and don’t let go.” With those words said, Conor grabbed Luna’s tail and did his best to prepare for what he was sure would be one of the strangest events he had yet to experience in his life. Then again, if he was able to meet with a giant talking crystal tree, he could probably survive this too.

Luna stepped forward into darkness and as she did, Conor was pulled along with her. The mirror washed over him with a biting cold that sunk down to his bones and burned at his soul. Conor shuddered as it hit him, feeling the goosebumps rise on his arms and legs as he followed behind. Mercifully, the painful sensation passed as they entered the darkness. Taking Luna’s advice to heart, he continued to stare dutifully ahead.

The walk was short and brisk, and Conor found he couldn’t identify the feeling beneath his feet. There was something for him to walk on, but he couldn’t quite place the texture. It was solid when he put his weight on it, but soft and sticky as he pulled away. Finally, warmth washed over his form as they passed through the other end of the corridor and back into the light.

Conor winced, squinting in pain as the full rays of the sun blasted his sensitive and overly-large pupils. Tears formed as he struggled to adjust, blinking every few seconds as they gradually shrunk down to an adequate size. “... Ow,” he said.

Stone surrounded the three of them on all sides as the large circular walls tapered upwards, stopping to form a small rounded hole at the top. Suspended in this hole was the largest crystal Conor had ever seen, held fast in a web of woven steel threads. He couldn’t believe his eyes. The crystal appeared to be concentrating the sunlight from above, focusing it into a large pillar-like beam over a massive anvil formed of pure sapphire. An enormous mallet lie in wait across the anvil, prepared to bend and shape metal to the will of the one who could wield it. Several large containers lined the walls, each filled with sorted ingots and ores of all varieties and types. Racks covered the wall, carrying weapons and armor of all varieties, descriptions, styles, and colors. A pool of lava bubbled casually to their left, bringing forth a volcanic heat which immediately caused Conor to sweat. On top of the pool sat a smelter of unique design to use the immense heat of the molten rock to melt and refine the metals. To their right lay a simple straw bed with a blue quilt and a silver silk pillow, as well as an old fashioned ice chest and a stone oven.

“It’s good to see this place again.” Luna smiled as she looked around the room. “Welcome, Conor, to The Lunar Forge.”

“Uh … wow,” Conor said, looking around. “If I’d known we were coming some place so hot, I’d have worn some shorts.” He chuckled. “Is this where you do all your forge work?”

“Unfortunately, I haven’t been back here since my return.” Luna sighed. “But I will be putting this old place to work again soon enough.”

“Aside from the heat, this is actually pretty amazing. I’ve never really been to a real forge before,” Conor said as he looked around. Celestia had perked up considerably as the magnified light shone in the room.

“As nice as it is to gloat, Luna, I think we should be focusing on the task at hand. We only have so much time before we need to be back in Equestria.”

“I wondered why we had so much sun.” Conor smiled knowingly. “So you took us to the other side of the world? Impressive.”

“Ponies are far less likely to look for you there.” Luna chuckled as she led them through the walls of weapons and armor before coming up to a small chest of trinkets. “We need something to enchant,” she said. “Something small.”

“Something to match his personality, too. It will need to look natural on his form.” It began to click together in Conor’s mind.

“You two are going to give me a spell like the others have, aren’t you?” he asked.

“Not exactly,” Luna said as she passed through several trinkets. “The others had forms that we gave them from the effects of the spell. We merely made a trinket that could enact the spell whenever they liked. With you, however, we need the spell to separate your two forms and make a bridge between them.”

“Okay, fair enough.” A series of consecutive no’s filled the room as Celestia and Luna hovered piece after piece before the human, ranging from rings to bracelets to medallions and beyond. Nothing seemed to “speak to [him].” Conor hovered with indecision over the few trinkets he had chosen out of the practical horde Luna had shown him.

“Conor, you need to decide quickly,” Celestia said nervously.

“I’m sorry, Celestia, I really am. I’m just not good at making these kinds of choices. Nothing really feels right to me when I try it.” Luna lifted the mighty hammer and slammed it on the anville, shaking the room and filling the air with the shudder of weapons.

“You have to decide, Conor. Even my patience has its limits,” Luna said, sighing. “Sorry,” she said, suddenly aware of how close she came to scaring the human. A light tinking sound rang clear as a bell as a glint of blue flashed in the light, rolling up to the human’s foot and spinning before finally collapsing on the stone. Conor stooped and picked up the mysterious item. A simple metal band about two inches wide greeted his eyes, gradually tapering to thin down as it broke off at its ends. A large white diamond stood out in its center, flanked by two smaller amethysts: one on either side.

“... What’s this?” Conor asked, running his hand along the metal.

“That old thing?” Luna looked at it. “I made it to commemorate the unification some time before the Third Gryphon War, but the metal was too stubborn to complete it the way I desired.”

“But it’s so beautiful,” he said, gazing into the diamond. “And … is that supposed to be a horse of some kind?” he asked as the flaws of the diamond suddenly came together.

“A windigo,” she explained. “A spirit which brings the ice and cold and feeds off the anger and hatred of others,” she explained. “They nearly ended Equestria before it started.”

Conor shuddered, a sudden chill racing down his spine. “That sounds terrible.”

“It was terrible. If it weren’t for the founding families, and more specifically Clover The Clever, Equestria would be nothing but a frozen wasteland. Her magic and her friendship saved our land. Shortly thereafter, my sister and I were made their princesses.” A sad smile came to Celestia’s lips. “Those were interesting times to say the least, weren’t they, sister?”

“How would we know?” Luna asked. “We were in Hopsford, remember? And we were fillies.” She laughed.

Conor took the band and placed it on his arm. It was a perfect fit. “Huh. And what species was this made for again?”

“Well, it was originally intended for a kangaroo tail ring,” Luna said, embarrassed. “It was supposed to be given to a foreign dignitary.”

“So what, it wasn’t big enough?” Conor asked, taking it off again.

“More it wasn’t good enough for her,” Celestia chuckled. “My sister is a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the forge.”

“Ha ha, very funny, sister. I’m sure your royal baker must love that one,” Luna said. “‘Very funny, princess. Now, shall it be three cakes, or four this morning?’” Luna said as she deepened her voice and took on an ingratiating tone.

“I’m down to one cake a day, thank you very much,” Celestia said indignantly.

A gale of laughter filled the room as the two sisters turned to face the human where he bent over, tears at the corners of his eyes.

The two siblings glared at him. “What?” they said in unison. Then they looked at each other, then to Conor again. They smirked, then they snarked, then they finally joined the human in helpless mirth. When all had settled down again, Conor smiled.

“I think I like this one,” he said. “Do you mind if I wear it?”

“Of course not,” Luna said. “I suppose it’s better that you wear it before I end up melting it back down.”

“How could you destroy something as beautiful as this?” He asked as he handed the band over to her. “I’d say it’s some of your finest work, even if you say otherwise.” He smiled and Luna smiled back.

“Meteor impact will always be my finest work,” she said. “It is the first time I blended metal and organic matter into a weapon of such power.”

“If it survived Shawn, it can survive anything,” Conor replied.

Luna smirked. “Let’s get to work.”

Celestia joined Luna and smiled lovingly at her. “Yes, let’s, sister.”


Down inside the underbelly of the Canterlot palace, Grif was currently sitting in one of the cells with the nineteen gryphons not on guard duty. In front of them lay what had in life been one of the Black Tips hired to attempt an assassination of Equestria's princess-to-be. Catching him had been the easy part. Getting the information out of him hadn’t been quite so simple. Fortunately, some of the gryphons he had selected were talented in getting people to talk. Unfortunately, the gryphon in question hadn’t survived his aggressive “interrogation.”

Grif stared at the hastily drawn map of Canterlot carefully. Using the information they had received, as well as information from other sources, the map had been dotted with indicators of the positions for other Black Tips, changelings, two minotaurs, and even a handful of ponies from different supremacist groups. “Well, it looks like we’re going to have quite a party,” he noted.

“Who would have thought some pony princess would make so many enemies,” one gryphoness said. “So much for the nation of friendship.”

“Yeah, yeah, nobody’s perfect.” Grif rolled his eyes. “So, we’re going to need six of you with changeling lanterns spread out here, here, and here,” he said, marking the locations with a stick of charcoal. “You find a changeling, you either drag it behind an alley or have someone else do it. You already know what Me-Me’s changelings look like, so it shouldn’t be too hard to discern between the two.”

He turned to another group. “The seven of you have it easier,” Grif said. “Black Tips are weak in that they stand out to other gryphons. Make it quick and clean, a dagger between the ribs if possible. Try and walk away before they collapse.”

Grif turned to his four largest gryphons. “I think it would be best to leave the minotaurs to you four. Try to identify them quickly and take them by surprise. Go for the head, but try your best not to make a scene.”

“And what about the snipers in the rafters?” One gryphon asked.

“I’ll take those personally. I know a vantage point that’ll give me a total view of the area without making me too obvious.” Grif looked grimly around at the gathered gryphons. “This is a clean sweep situation. killing them is first priority. Doing it as discreetly as possible is also a priority, but killing them comes first no matter what. I don’t need to tell you all what could happen to our reputation if our first contract should be a failure.”

The assembled gryphons nodded. No mercenary band did well after failing their first contract. “Okay, boys and girls, time to sharpen your weapons and get ready. Tomorrow we begin our silent war.”


A hushed silence filled the great throne room of the Equestrian diarchy as Luna, Celestia, and Cadence all stood at the ready, beaming towards the great hall’s doors and wearing their very best royal apparel. Assembled in a series of rows on either side of a long red carpet, ponies from all over Canterlot and Equestria, alongside various foreign dignitaries, stood with anticipation as they spoke to one another over the mysterious new princess. The five new noble houses stood together with the princesses on the dais as they awaited the arrival of their friend while their five bodyguards stood diligently behind them, ever on the lookout for trouble. Shawn stood smirking off to the side as he leaned against one of the pillars jutting out from the wall, while Pensword stood in the front with the rest of the Lunar Court as he and Lunar Fang awaited the arrival of the purple princess. The Pegasi had made sure to keep the skies clear, and Celestia made sure the sun shone brightly through the stained glass windows, granting a great swath of color to shine over the assembled ponies and crowd.

Pensword kept his eyes forward as he wondered where Conor had disappeared to. Shawn’s smirk helped to reassure him. Conor was probably just somewhere towards the back. He wasn’t nobility after all, so he wouldn’t get priority placing. Pensword wanted to check, but the positioning and new noble responsibilities had made sure of his immobility.

Looking upon her subjects happily, Celestia surveyed the room, taking notice of a blue claw motioning the all clear from the door. The princess smiled, then cleared her throat, instantly hushing the incessant whispers.

“We are gathered here today in celebration of a momentous occasion. My most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle, has done many extraordinary things since she's lived in Ponyville. She even helped reunite me with my sister, Princess Luna.” Celestia looked to her sister with love in her eyes, even as the lunar princess blushed. “But this week, Twilight Sparkle has done something extraordinary. She created new magic, proving without a doubt that she is ready to be crowned Equestria's newest princess. Fillies and gentlecolts, may I present for the very first time, Princess Twilight Sparkle!”

The doors to the great hall were pulled open by a pair of wincing unicorn guards, their horns glowing as they stood and slowly rose their hooves in a salute. Clearly, they were still recovering from Shawn’s beating earlier. Twilight stepped nervously into the room until she caught her teacher and her friends’ smiles. Seeing those, she became more confident, taking the ceremony in stride as eight ponies followed behind her: four unicorn stallion guards and four earth pony mares bearing her new house standard on their backs. The standard itself was a simple one with a light purple backdrop accenting the largest star design on her cutie mark. As the eight sang together, Twilight’s mother looked on with pride and tears in her eyes. She clung to her husband, so happy was she to watch her daughter.

In the rafters, Grif took aim as a changeling with a crossbow prepared to take a shot. With a grin, the gryphon brought his own bow up and took aim.

As Twilight reached the stairs, her escort separated to the sides as they continued singing “The Princess Twilight Cometh, behold, behold,” over and over again. Twilight smiled at Celestia, Luna, and Cadence as Spike carried her tiara with the element of magic on a red satin pillow with golden tassels. Celestia took the crown in her magic and levitated it onto Twilight’s head. The new princess then turned her head to face her friends as they responded. Rainbow winked as Pinkie waved excitedly behind Fluttershy. The others smiled warmly, waiting for the next part of the coronation as they showed their support.

Twilight then turned to face the gathered ponies, extending her wings from her royal purple dress, which was accented by the gold trim and ribbons that went with her crown. Her new horseshoes, crafted out of pure gold, had been forged in such a way to show a tiny purple star, once again accenting her cutiemark and theme as the newest princess of Equestria. Her crown flashed magnificently as she smiled on those present in the hall while the white veil that was tied to the hem of her dress draped across the floor, adding that extra sense of elegance and grace so well known to royalty.

The singing and music masked the gurgling sound as another body slumped where it had been perched, an arrow lodged in its throat. Grif notched another arrow and scanned for his next shot.

The princesses turned towards the balcony behind them and slowly trotted out. Confetti floated on the wind and through the air, dropped by a platoon of pegasi to rain gently and evenly down on the gathered body below. Celestia winked in appreciation to one of the workers, who promptly gave a salute before returning to his appointed task. Thousands of ponies stood packed together in the square before the palace entrance, cheering and waving. Twilight smiled nervously and waved as they came to the railing. When this had gone on for long enough, Celestia walked up to her pupil and placed a gentle hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“Say something, Princess,” she whispered. Twilight started briefly.

“Oh, um …” She approached the edge as she began to enunciate. Unlike Luna, she had learned to modulate her voice in a royal manner that didn’t blast everypony’s mane askew, not to mention leave a few deaf for a time. Instead, it was as if she were holding a microphone to her throat.

“A little while ago, my teacher and mentor, Princess Celestia, sent me to live in Ponyville. She sent me to study friendship, which is something I didn't really care much about.”

She turned to face her friends and smiled once more, giving the speech both to them and to the crowd. “But now, on a day like today, I can honestly say I wouldn't be standing here if it weren't for the friendships I've made with all of you.”

The rest of the mane six made their way out of the castle, each smiling and tearing up. Rarity kept her eyes closed, a grateful smile on her face as the tears pooled on the edge of her eyelashes. Fluttershy rose a hoof to catch the tears before they fell. “Each one of you taught me something about friendship. And for that, I will always be grateful. Today, I consider myself the luckiest pony in Equestria. Thank you, friends. Thank you, everypony!” Twilight said as she turned once more to face her new subjects. The crowd cheered triumphantly as more waving, raving, hoof pumping, and other signs of excitement and acceptance were voiced and acted out.

As the company returned indoors, Shining Armor approached with Princess Cadence, Cosy, and Alto in tow. He smiled as he exclaimed “Twilight! I'm so proud of you!” He laid a hoof on her shoulder as the two bowed their heads, gently touching horns. Moisture began to pool on the corner of Shining’s eyes as drops of water made their way down his cheeks.

“Are you crying?” Twilight asked, smiling.

“Of course not,” Shining denied as he raised a hoof to dry the tears with his coat sleeve. “It’s liquid pride. Totally different thing.” The siblings laughed as they embraced once more, placing a forehoof over each other’s back. As Shining backed away, the rest of the gang gathered around her in their usual cheer.

“Way to go, Princess,” Applejack said, swinging a hoof in front of her chest in one of her usual country manners.

“Best coronation day ever!” Pinkie Pie sang as she hovered in the air, wobbling her hooves before settling to the ground.

“We love you, Twilight,” Fluttershy said as she approached behind Pinkie. Then they all surrounded her in a group hug.

“I love you too, girls,” Twilight said, overcome by emotion as she laid her head to her chest and basked in their affection. A few seconds later, they separated and Twilight called aloud. “Come on, everypony, it’s time for the parade!” Twilight ran out the room, her friends in tow as the nobles and other ponies gathered stampeded after her. Celestia and Luna sat, waiting as the doors swung ponderously closed and the hoofsteps faded.

“Alright, Grif, you can drop them now,” Luna said.

Several loud thumps sounded at Luna’s words as two changelings, half a dozen gryphons, and two pegasi dropped dead from the ceiling. Grif landed a moment later.

“Gotta say, the pegasi were a surprise,” he said.

“Sister, have the Pegasus Supremacists not been dealt with yet?” Luna asked, surprised. Celestia sighed.

“I’m afraid not, sister. They haven’t done any overt operations worth the punishment. By law, my hooves are tied.” Celestia frowned at the two pegasi: one a stallion, the other a mare. “So young.” Celestia sighed heavily.

“They made their choice, sister. When they went after Twilight, their lives were already forfeit.” Luna placed a supportive hoof on Celestia’s shoulder.

Grif moved across the bodies, retrieving the arrows. The ones he retrieved from the pegasi, however, he snapped before tossing them back. “These arrows spilled traitors’ blood. They’re no longer worth using.”

Luna nodded. “What’s done is done. Thank you for protecting her, Grif. I’ve grown rather attached to that little mare since my return.” She smiled fondly.

“I was paid to perform an essential service,” Grif said. “But in truth, for Twilight, I might have done it for free anyway.”

“Even if you’d offered, we’d still have paid you,” Celestia said. “You deserve it.”

“Now, provided my people in the crowd can get their targets, everything should go relatively smoothly,” Grif noted. “The coronation is the theater here. No one is going to go after Twilight once it’s fully over.”

“We’d best keep an eye on her from here then, just in case,” Celestia said. “I hope you’ll excuse us, Grif. It’s not that we don’t believe in your family. We just care about Twilight.”

“I understand.” Grif nodded. “However, it is good the largest potential hazard is over.”

Celestia’s ears perked and she smiled knowingly. “I hope you’re prepared, Grif. If I know my student, then I think we can be expecting a song to round things out in the next few minutes.” She smiled as she turned to the balcony. Luna nodded her respect to the gryphon before following her sister as they both smiled and waved from their position, watching with pride as Twilight entered one of her finest moments. True to Celestia’s warning, a musical air started to play as the new princess burst into song.

PreviousChapters Next