• Published 2nd May 2014
  • 771 Views, 12 Comments

Great, another OctaScratch fic - The Batmane of equestria



When Vinyl and Octavia are put in jail after a bad night at the club, what happens when two peculiar ponies bust them out and send them on an adventure? adventure, alternate universes and a bad attempt at romance. That's what happens.

  • ...
4
 12
 771

New neighbours

Octavia opened her blurry eyes. She blinked twice to focus and the ceiling came into view. She noticed the distinct lack of a headache, telling her that she didn't have a hangover. Thank Celestia for that. She stretched her hind legs with a satisfying crack and stood up. The shift of weight on the bed elicited a groan from the sleeping mare next to her: Vinyl Scratch.

"Mornin' Tavi." she said, groggily opening her eyes and slipping on her shades which were residing on the bedside cabinet.

"Good morning, dear." she said back, smiling as she did so. She looked out of the window near the bed. She opened it and stuck her head out, breathing in the fresh morning air. The sounds of the early morning greeted her ears, the tweeting of birds, the sounds of the morning traffic and the sound of the daily bustle of the inner city. She turned away to see Vinyl slowly getting to her hooves. "Breakfast?" she asked.

"If you're cooking, yes." Octavia rolled her eyes.


Octavia carefully balanced two plates with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, plum tomatoes, beans, black pudding and two slices of toast each: the typical Great Braytish breakfast. Vinyl was slouching on the sofa when Octavia entered the room. When she saw the breakfast she perked up immediately and started salivating. Octavia chuckled at this and placed both plates on the table. "Tuck in, Vinyl." Vinyl made no haste in doing so and had demolished half of it before Octavia had even started.

As soon as they had finished, Octavia carried the plates back into the kitchen where she dumped them in the sink before returning to Vinyl. Before she could sit down, there was a knock at the door. "Who in Equestria could that be?" Octavia wondered out loud. She trotted over to the door, Vinyl in tow.

When she opened the door, in front of her stood two mares: One was a cream coloured earth pony with a pink and blue puffy mane and three sweets as a cutie mark. The other was a mint-green unicorn with a mint-green mane to match her fur with white streaks and a lyre as a cutie mark. "Hello!" they both said simultaneously.

"Hello?" responded a rather confused Octavia.

"Hi, I'm Lyra Heartstrings." Said the mint-green one.

"And I'm Bonbon. We're your new neighbours." the cream coloured one said, extending a hoof towards Octavia while Lyra extended hers towards Vinyl. The duo reluctantly shook hooves with the two ponies at their door.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both, Lyra and Bonbon." Octavia said politely.

"Likewise." responded Bonbon.

After finishing sharing pleasantries, Octavia spoke up. "So, uh, would you two like to come in for tea or coffee?" The two at the door exchanged a look before looking back at Vinyl and Octavia and smiling.

"Sure!" they said in tandem. I swear that they practised this beforehoof. Octavia thought.


Vinyl carried a tray in her magic with four steaming cups of tea on them. She placed the tray on the table and sat on the sofa with her marefriend. "So." Lyra broke the tension in the room. "What are your names?"

"Well, I'm Octavia Philharmonica and this is my marefriend, Vinyl Scratch." Bonbon and Lyra gawked at them. "Is there a problem?" Octavia asked, genuinely concerned. Bonbon was the first to react.

"No. No, no, no. Of course not. We just... never expected to meet fillyfoolers, is all." Octavia choked on her tea and it sputtered out onto the table.

"WHAT!?" The guests shrunk into their seats.

"I-I... I didn't mean it like that! Me and bonnie here are also fillyfoolers. We didn't expect to see anypony else who was, never mind our neighbours. So we're just a bit surprised is all." Lyra said sheepishly. Realisation dawned on Octavia and she calmed down immediately.

"Oh, sorry. I lose my temper sometimes." she sighed. "Me and Vinyl have put up with a lot of trouble because of our... sexuality." A tear came to her eye as she spoke. "I just get really defensive when somepony brings it up." Lyra and Bonbon exchanged glances.

"We-We're sorry. We didn't mean to upset you. Is there any way we can pay you back?" They stood up and took a step closer to Octavia to see if she was alright. Vinyl herself seemed to just slouch on the sofa without paying the others any mind. "Vinyl!!!" Lyra shouted. Vinyl jumped up, hitting her head on the ceiling and yelling in pain.

"GAAAAH! What the hay was that for!?"

"Your marefriend is upset, you could at least attempt to comfort her." Octavia was still standing with her head low, oblivious to the world. Oblivious until she felt a reassuring pair of hooves wrap themselves around her shoulders, pulling her into a hug. She looked up to see Vinyl making a bad attempt to comfort her.

"There, there, Tavi. It'll be okay, whatever the problem is." Vinyl stayed quiet for a few seconds, thinking of what to say. Damn. I've already run out of things to comfort her. Octavia looked her marefriend in the eyes as she tried to think of something to say. This caused Octavia to giggle a bit. "What? What's so funny?"

"You. Trying to think of what to say." She wiped her eye and pulled her marefriend into a kiss. After about two minutes, they both remembered they had other guests. They broke apart and looked at their guests, blushes appearing on their faces from both embarrassment and from the kiss. Lyra sat there, jaw agape, eyes wide open, horn releasing a few sparks now and then as she tried to say something unintelligible. Bonbon, on the other hoof, was looking everywhere except the couple. They both laughed nervously.

Bonbon looked at Lyra, who was still practically drooling into the carpet. "I take it you two are finished?" she asked, mostly sarcastic. They both nodded sheepishly. "Excellent. I think we should continue with our previous conversation." After the musical duo nodded, Bonbon continued. "So what do you two do for a living?"

Octavia spoke first. "I used to be a cellist but I was fired because of the Grand Galloping Gala fiasco a couple of years ago. Now I'm Vinyl's manager."

Now it was Vinyl's turn. "I'm a DJ. You may know me as DJ-P0n3." At this, the two of them gawked at Vinyl. Lyra piped up.

"Y-you're the famous DJ-P0n3? Omigoshomigoshomigosh CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH!?" Vinyl laughed at the outburst.

"Sure thing. I'm gonna need a pen though." She smiled at Lyra, who was still fanfillying. Lyra beamed at Vinyl before a rich yellow flash of light happened between the two. In the middle, a quill and a piece of paper floated, constrained by a yellow aura emanating from Lyra's horn. Vinyl took the quill in her own magic and scribbled her autograph on the parchment. Lyra made a high pitched squee as she inspected it.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" Lyra shouted. Bonbon face-hoofed while trying to hide a smirk at Lyra's childish behaviour.

"Well, seeing as how you've told us what you do, I think it's high time we told you what we do." Bonbon said, politely finishing her cup of tea. "I'm a confectioner. I am currently buying a place a few blocks from here where I can run my own shop." There was an awkward silence. They all looked at Lyra, who was still staring at Vinyl's autograph. Bonbon cleared her throat. "Lyra?" Lyra's head snapped upwards.

"Huh, wha?" Bonbon face-hoofed again.

"Tell them what you do for a living."

"Ohhhh, right." she said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "I'm a lyrist. Not a very famous one but I have sold a few albums. I also compose for some quartets."

"Well those are very interesting jobs." Octavia said. "So, how did you two meet?" Bonbon smiled at this.

"I moved to Ponyville for a while to start my business." Bonbon responded.

"No way! I used to live there as well!" Vinyl blurted.

"Vinyl. Let her speak." Octavia said sternly.

"Sorry Tavi."

"Anyway," Bonbon continued. "When I was there, I met this mare here when she walked into my store. I know it sounds cheesy but it was practically love at first sight. After a month or two, I found out she was being evicted from her home so I allowed her to stay with me. Eventually, after about a year, we admitted our feelings towards each other. 4 years later and we decided to move to a different place so we chose Manehatten and here we are now."

"Cool story, bro." Vinyl said.

"What?" Octavia asked. "'Bro'? seriously?"

"What? It's in context." Octavia tried to resist the urge to face-hoof but to no avail. After a few seconds silence, a light beeping noise could be heard. Lyra flared her magic to check her phone which she kept in her mane. After scanning the screen she spoke.

"Come on, Bonnie. We need to get to the meeting to finalise the purchase of the confectionery." Bonbon gawked at her marefriend. "What?"

"You...you use big words."

"Yeah, so?"

"I DID IT!!! I'm finally rubbing off on you!" Lyra rolled her eyes.

"Hey, you two should come to one of my gigs." Vinyl said enthusiastically. Lyra sqee'd again. "I'm sure I can get you in for free." Lyra almost fainted when she said that.

"Sure Vinyl, just send us the invitation and we'll be there." Bonbon answered for her marefriend who was now clumsily walking out the door, unable to form a basic sentence.

"Bye, you two." Octavia said as they left.

"Seeya guys." Bonbon responded. After they left, the room was enveloped into an all-too-familiar awkward silence.

"Well, they make a strange couple." Vinyl said.

"Agreed."