• Published 1st May 2014
  • 3,199 Views, 207 Comments

When the Everfree Burns - SpiritDutch



Gods and horrors from the past have come back to haunt Equestria, but politics and petty power plays threaten to bring the pony nation down. While the world hurdles past the brink of darkness, Celestia's successors fight their inner nightmares.

  • ...
15
 207
 3,199

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 7: Sedevacantismo

What did it mean to live without dreams?

Celestia looked down her nose at the pony in front of her. He was talking but she didn't really hear him. 'I am not like you. Do you not have something better to do? Why talk at me?' Until, inevitably, her silent stair dissuaded the pony and they left.

Celestia could return to staring into the southern skies from the watchtower. Her mother sun rose and fell overhead, but Celestia did not give up her search.

What was she anymore? Could she really be called a princess or an empress, when she fulfilled neither the obligations of her role as spiritual leader of the Equestrians, nor her temporal role as their absolute ruler? She was certainly never a pony, seemingly lacking any need for sleep, food, and company. She was acting more like a stone gargoyle, inanimate, needless, and silent. Was she simulation, or simulacra?

As still as death, but undying. The tower could crumble before she did. So also the empire she had descended from heaven to govern.

Dust in the air... fleeting...

"But I am more fleeting still." Celestia said to herself. "I am a mayfly 75000% over my life expectancy." She paused. "A firefly. Yes, firefly is the more clever analogy."

The sun was setting again. It was probably time to deal with the situation with the dead vizier.
Celestia turned away from the southern skies. Moments later, the thunderclap.



Celestia was in the cloud room of her premonition. The dreaded map of a fractured nation directly in front of her.

"NO!" Celestia shouted. "Torment me not with this twisted vision!" She tried to telekinetically grab the nearest object, the bed, and throw it. As soon as her magic aura gathered her surroundings faded away, as did her magic, and even her conscious realization of herself.

It all dissolved away. Dust... billowing...


"Nothing new. Nothing insightful. A pitiful waste of consciousness. Nothing to be found. Nothing new to discover. Omnipotent. Omniscient. But still unable to prevent self-loathing."
That wasn't her world either, nor her words! Celestia tried to overrule the voice around her but she had no eyes to see nor mouth to speak; she could not rage and shout as a mote of consciousness, floating like the rest of the dust. Was this what it was like to be a pony looking at the alicorn, to be powerless and cosmically inconsequential by comparison?

"The princess has returned to her mother sun. Farewell to the princess. The new princess has descended from heaven, born of her mother sun. Long live the princess." That was Twilight Sparkle's voice, but churlish, ironic, clear that she saw through the farce of succession. "Long live the princess. Long live the princess!" Twilight's voice grew sharper and more disdainful with every repetition. "Farewell to the princess, but long live the princess!"



Suddenly Celestia found her voice. "STOP!" She bellowed.


The castle maid, setting down a tea set on the desk, nearly jumped out of her skin. "Princess!" She squeaked. "You're awake!"

She was... awake?
Celestia was in her grand bed in Canterlot Castle keep, its posters draped with luxurious silk, large enough for an alicorn or even two. She was breathing fast, she laid the back of her hoof against her head and felt her temperature, then against her neck to feel her pulse. Carefully, she summoned a bit of magic.
All signs indicated that she was in the Waking World, both conscious and lucid. It was hard to tell sometimes.

"Yes. I am awake." Celestia said. Judging by the light coming through the window, it was very early morning. The sun continued on its regular course unaided.

"How are you feeling, princess?" The maid asked. "Is all well?"
Either she wished to know if Celestia wanted a doctor, for all the good it would do the alicorn, or, like all the castle staff, she wished to know if Celestia was finally going to stop going up to the tower.

Celestia closed her eyes and sighed. "All is well. Leave me."

The maid bowed and withdrew from the bedroom. Celestia heard the click of the double-door of her chambers, opening then closing.
Alone again. Even mere seconds of mortal interaction exhausted her.



The princess could not stay in bed forever. "Life still has its luster." Celestia rolled to the edge of the bed and sat up.

'life still has its luster.' A smooth young stallion, grinning churlishly. His coat... lime green? Didn't matter what color. The smile and words mattered. The stallion died from his injuries, cut to little pieces.

"I'm losing my mind." Celestia rubbed her temples. The dead pony disappeared, never there. Something was forcing thoughts into her head. It was a psychic attack, or something similar. "Long life the princess."

Pushing herself off the bed and trotting to the nearest mirror, Celestia inspected herself. Impeccable. She looked flawless even when she made ugly faces at her reflection. Her mane was regaining its luminescent and etherial weightlessness now that she was awake, the individual strands of hair beginning to float and flow magically- There was no more immediate proof of her divine heritage.

'You don't belong here, with the inadequate mortals. You yearn for the company of the gods. Oh to have lived in the halls of the Ancient Alicorns.' Celestia's reflection ruminated. 'Isn't that why you tormented young Shining Armor with that tale?'

"I can not deny that." Celestia admitted to the churlish reflection.

'You would like nothing more than to show every pony how pathetic they are.' The reflection pressed. 'And how?'

Celestia stopped fidgeting with her mane and tried to catch the reflection's eyes. "No I-"

'The alicorn has become a boring, stagnant concept in the social soul of ponykind. You rate as highly as pie and cloudless days in their esteem. You bore them. They bore you.' The reflection grinned, sowing off teeth Celestia never did. 'It would take only a few mutilations...'

Celestia smashed the mirror apart with her hoof. She backed away and, dissatisfied with the destruction, levitated the entire bureau and dashed it into the marble wall. Splinters of wood and glass flew in every direction.



Celestia blinked, no, she hadn't done that. She was still at the edge of her bed. The bureau was still intact in its corner.

"Life still has- ...Who is doing this to me." Celestia murmured to herself. She checked her pulse again. Still lucid, still in the Waking World. "This must be a residual effect of the premonition."

But obviously getting premonitions was not normal, even for an alicorn. There was a very short list of entities capable of mounting a psychic attack of such sophistication.

"Long live the princess. Yes everypony, let us all make sure the princess lives a long, long time."
Celestia rose from the bed and, after a trepidatious glance at the bureau, trotted to the sitting room. The maid had lit the fire in the fireplace, but with the sun's dawning, it was warm enough to douse it.
"Last night..." Celestia saw the chairs Shining Armor and Prosser had been put back in place; Very courteous of them. "I passed out."


There was a knock at the door. "Princess?" It was the gruff voice of one of the Imperial Household Guard knights posted outside her chambers.

"Yes." Celestia responded.

The knight, though muffled through the door, audibly chirped in surprise. He hadn't expected a response. "Uh, Imperial Councilor Prosser is here to see you." The knight said.


Prosser. Celestia had felt his aura on the other side of the door but not payed particular attention. She deliberated on refusing the annoying earth pony councilor entry. If she started seeing things that weren't there, she was liable to scare or harm him. That, and she wasn't too interested in what Prosser had to say. However, Prosser had behaved himself the previous night (before she passed out), and Celestia had to ensure his discretion. The earth pony could be a helpless gossip.

Celestia wordlessly pushed the door with her telekinesis, cracking it open.

The doors swung open and Prosser trotted in. He didn't look in the best of health.,"Princess Celestia." He bowed. "You have no idea how much joy it brings me to get to speak with you two days in a row."

"Have you kept awake for the opportunity? I would not risk embarrassing myself from exhaustion, for what little can be gained by wakefulness." Celestia said. She levitated the tea set from where the maid had set it and poured herself a cup of tea. "Yes councilor, I already see the joke. You need not stoop to it."

Prosser took a seat. "Princess, I wasn't going to mention it if you weren't. Any loyal pony would just be happy you are feeling well now."

About that... "I know you to be a discreet pony, more than is helpful at times." Celestia said facetiously.

"Yes princess. I will throw myself out that window if you demand it." Prosser's ironic smile betrayed that it was an empty promise, but that was the point.

Celestia picked up her cup. "I have never asked such a thing of an advisor." She paused. "I have done worse to them, long ago, when overtaken by fits of cruelty. Not that that I am making a threat. Far from it."

"I understand. I am personally thankful that I have a bad memory for personal things, that I don't remember my defining moments. We mortals have our deficits, but the tendency for our memories to melt into a haze is one of the better things about us, I should say." Prosser said.

Celestia's expression conveyed she was not amused. "How quickly you digress from attempting to sympathize, to talking about yourself. Thankfully I do not need your sympathy, and I do not desire you to understand me." She paused, perhaps reconsidering her standoffishness. "I should wager that you remember more than what you let on, for in my years I have seen ponies recalling many odd things, at the twilight of their years, which we had seen together in their youth; Meaningless moments that nonetheless stayed with them."
Celestia paused again, making Prosser think she had passed the conversation back to him. But her furrowed brow betrayed that she was deep in thought, again considering how much she should share. "Some years after succession, a stranger mare approached the throne and intimated some very personal things my predecessor had told her in fits of passion. What this mare recalled vividly was to me only a hazy thing, lost to the skies." Celestia took an experimental sip of tea, testing the temperature. "I made quite a viscus mess of her, I think. That incident was not this body either, you see. It was, oh, several successions ago."


Though Celestia had claimed not to be making a threat, Prosser was unnerved by the princess's morbid words. When the princess reminded you that she was a divine creature capable of great destruction, it was usually for a reason, and not to be taken lightly. "Thank you for sharing, princess." He considered going on, waxing poetic about the 'alicorn enigma' or something, but he thought better of it. "We may make casual conversation of us, but trauma is a difficult subject. Despite my personal wishes, with the recent death it is temporarily my responsibility to raise more serious discussion with you, about the trauma of a nation." Smooth transition. "The killing of the late Grand Vizier Fancy Pants?"


Celestia looked down at her, tea, then out the window. She imagined (imagined, not a forced vision this time) an airship careening into her castle wing and destroying it, to escape the conversation. She struggled and struggled and could not summon any feeling for her mortal subject. It was impossibly tedious, every word exhausting. She regretted, but knew it was not a trick. She was just tired of it, with a few exceptions.
"I do not wish to speak of the events of last night and early this morning. It does not hold my interest." Celestia said cooly. All of her servants died eventually, and a not insignificant portion by murder: Of course she would miss Fancy Pants, and though she regretted his passing it was not her place to mourn. "I trust my subjects and government to handle what issues may arise, just as they should trust me to handle myself. We shall concern each other no longer."
It was a clear declaration: Leave the empress alone.


Prosser nodded slowly, nibbling his lip. "Yes, princess. There are other matters of state. There are reports gathered in your throne room-"

Celestia tapped her stirring spoon louder than necessary, interrupting him. "What of them?" Celestia slowly crossed the room back to the fireplace and sat down.

Prosser knew he was getting a dose of what Fancy Pants got every time he tried to push Celestia to fulfill her responsibilities. "Nothing, princess. I am only making you aware. I wouldn't want to pester you, in light of your words just now." Unlike Fancy Pants, Prosser knew how to chose his battles. There was no convincing the princess.

"It is for the best." Celestia nodded. Trite, standoffish. SHe wished she could summon the energy to even berate herself for it.


Prosser dared to lean forward and get himself a cup of tea too. "I'm starting to understand why you wished to discuss the Ancient Alicorns. If you wish to have yourself a kingdom in the clouds, your majesty's loyal government is here to preserve it for you."

Even if Celestia had desired to close off the conversation, she was tempted back by the outrage of the councilor's sardonic phrasing under his guise of the display of humility and piety. "Do you seriously believe that I aspire to the aloof heights of the Ancient Alicorns? You presume too much, councilor. The similarities between the Tower of the Bard and my august keep and watchtower are little more than nominal." She paused. "It is the theme of change, where the Ancient Alicorns were pulled from heaven to earth by the Tower, which interested me. You well know I have a fascination for themes of change and transition. My empire is a dynamic engine which I delight to see developing and expanding."

"That's not what Fancy Pants said of you last week." Prosser smirked. He tried to keep the princess from digressing. "He said you were upset about Canterlot's changing skyline."

Celestia clucked her tongue disapprovingly. "I would not put spurious words in a dead pony's mouth if I were you. Now I see I am vindicated in closing the issue off. An undying creature like me has the capacity for infinitely more respect for the dead than a mortal, to whom every reminder of death is a reinforcement of inexorable anxieties, and therefore of mortal ambitions. To me death is phenomenal. To you, it is inevitable."

The lingering theme of death deepened Prosser's worries about the princess.
"I respect that view, princess. While I would hope I could take it as an article of faith, if you truly hew to the irreconcilable experiences of mortal and alicorn, then neither of us could say with certainty how the other thought of anything." Prosser noisily sipped his tea, taking the opportunity to think of the right words. "I am not saying you are lying-"

Celestia stared down her nose at the councilor in a way that let him know he should get to the point.

"As far as I know, the color you call purple could appear completely differently to you than to me. The alicorn perception of reality may indeed be wholly separate. Or, it may not be." Prosser shrugged. "Whatever the case, I interpret the sounds coming from you as words in my language, your emotions as pony emotions, your movements as mostly pony movements, etcetera."

"In the gentlest terms, you are treading old ground, councilor." Celestia said.


"Fine. I will drop the topic of alicorns entirely then, noting, in the gentlest terms, that you brought it up." Prosser said. He gulped his tea and set the cup back on the tray.
The princess was unwelcome to talking about the murder, about affairs of state, and even her own invited topic on the alicorns. Prosser began to wonder why the princess had let him in? He would have to hunt for the topic she was interested in, or he could just leave.

Celestia took the opportunity of his brooding silence to stare intently at the ground. Her ear flicked, hearing a sound he did not. She shivered, as if trying not to recoil from something. Was she still ill? Must have been.

"Princess..." He smacked his lips. "Princess, a friend alerted me how, last night, the dousing equipment at the University here in Canterlot recorded magical phenomena, one to the south, one to the north. The south one, by my guess came from the border or Everfree. The north one though... Princess, I dare to say it came from this room when you were overtaken by unconsciousness."

Celestia acted aloof at first, but a small shift in her posture betrayed she was drawn in. "The exact timing would be impossible to prove." She nodded to the grandfather clock across the room. "It is inaccurate. It runs backwards sometimes."


Rus backwards? Setting that aside, Celestia was clearly trying to downplay the connection between the phenomenon and her fainting. If Celestia knew what the mysterious phenomenon was, she was not going to share immediately.
Prosser would have to push more. "I'm not a magician, obviously, so I defer to experts to tell me what the squiggly lines on the chart mean. The researcher responsible for the dousing equipment was confident, within reasonable error, that the big magical phenomenon to the south was some type of Dark magic, dream magic most likely."

Celestia's blank facade broke, and she looked visibly relieved. So, she didn't know? "What am I to make of that? Or do you demure on that point too?"

"Now the princess taps her advisors." Prosser smirked. "I jest, I jest. Indeed princess I plead ignorance. I have no insights at all. Dream magic? Never studied it. I lack the horn for it. As for how a massive surge of dream magic interacts with the alicorn nature-" He shrugged. "We circle back to the banned topic of alicorn nature."

"You are not as close in my confidence as another pony, less prone to slips of tongue, would be." Celestia shook her head. "But if I give you nothing, I know you are prone to your own wild speculations."

Prosser laughed awkwardly, letting his exaggerated embarrassment be known. "I'm about as gossip prone as your average pony, but you are right that it means I'm unworthy of your highness's confidences. I'm really not clever at all: For example, if I were more clever I would know to keep a silly theory I heard at the University to myself. The researcher who told me about the dream magic speculated that it was coming from the Sun or Moon."


Celestia stiffened. "Councilor, since I made clear that I had no interest in continuing the conversation as empress, we have been discussing as councilor and princess. That is, as you know, the princess of the Sun." She stood up and approached the earth pony in his chair. She would have towered over him even if he were standing. "And as I am princess of the Sun, there is one point of salient importance for you, Councilor: You should know better than to accuse my mother Sun of something like that without more substantial proof."

Prosser was not totally cowed. "That would be for you to provide, highness. You are the heavenly interlocutor, and we are your subjects."

Celestia, expression stern, reached past the councilor and refiled her teacup. "No, councilor, that is not how it works. I only fully commune with my mother Sun during the Summer Sun and, of course, during the Succession. I guide the godly light of Destiny indirectly."

"Is that it then? Is this another closed off topic?" Prosser asked, his voice hinting at his frustration.

Celestia returned to her spot at the fireplace. "There are griffin and zebra shamans who claim to speak for the Sun. Perhaps if you trawl their homelands and find these shamans, you can ask them, and have your theory about the Sun confirmed."

"Not my theory. I just presented it." Prosser said. Of course, if he wasn't at least tantalized by the idea, he would not have brought it up. "Besides the Summer Sun is not that far away."

It was ridiculous, that he even insinuated that Celestia should ask her Mother Sun about such a trivial thing. "I am not so shameless I would ask my mother Sun if she psychically attacked me, or if one of her heavenly siblings did. It is not even within the vocabulary of our intercourse to ask such a question." Celestia said sternly.


Prosser was dead silent for a few minutes, looking at Celestia, but clearly engaged in his own thoughts. The princess politely ignored his staring, taking sips from her tea.

"Princess I am a discreet pony..." Prosser cleared his throat. He was trepidatious. His silence had been less to think of his next words, but if he should say them at all. "You know that there are other ways to communicate with the Sun. A little book, if we can find it-"


Celestia jumped upright, dropping her cup. "Do not joke." She said sternly. "Do not prod at me that way. You will see me more upset than you ever have before."
Celestia took a few moments to calm herself, taking steady breaths. "You should know better."

Prosser displayed a rare moment of genuine contrition. "I'm sorry princess. You're right that I should have known better. I did know better."

Celestia sighed, and sat back down. Her horn briefly flared with magic: The tea cup reversed its course, un-spilling the tea, and hovering back into Celestia's hooves. It was as if she had never dropped it.

Prosser squinted. He didn't recognize the magic she had just used. "Did you-"

"Do not overthink it." Celestia chided, turning her back to him. "Councilor, our time is running out. If you think there is anything else we should discuss, now is the time."

"Nothing which you have not dismissed already, princess." Prosser said. He rose to leave. "But if I could make a last plea..."


Celestia did not answer, and for a moment Prosser was sure she was ignoring him and expecting him to leave already. "Very well." She turned back to him. "Since my pony has taken the time to bring it to me, I shall listen."

"Princess, I believe those mares were needlessly slaughtered. They may have been guilty of other crimes, but there were not Fancy Pants's killers. A much greater danger is still out there." Prosser whispered. "But if I so much as insinuate the truth to you, I must know you will act to save us."

It was Celestia's first time hearing about either the mares or their death, since she had been disinterested the night before. "You sound alarmist, councilor. Only minutes ago you made a convincing argument for why I had no responsibility to intervene in ponykind's lives." Celestia said.

Prosser lingered by the door, still trepidatious. "Do you mean to say that if you could lift your hoof and save me from certain death right this moment, you would not do so?"

"Ask me a real question, councilor. I will not entertain nonsense." Celestia snapped.

Prosser sighed. "What is the boundary between mercy, and moral hazard? That is the question."

"There is no moral hazard. I do not care what my ponies believe, or how I effect their thinking. You should be concerned about what I am thinking, councilor." Celestia flicked her horn, and the fire in the fireplace was snuffed out. "A life saved by an alicorn is not truly saved. I do not give heavenly grace, I am its conduit. If you understood what alicorns were capable of, you would prefer our apathy to our interest."

Prosser gave Celestia a curious look. " 'our' apathy, princess?"

"Good day, councilor." Celestia growled.

Prossed bowed and exited the room.



Celestia toyed with her empty cup, sitting in the silence, deep in thought.

"No. No, I do not need to ask my mother Sun if an entity in the heavens above are attacking me. I already know. I have known." Celestia ruminated. "Dreams... Alicorns with dreams... the thunderclap... But it is too soon. It is still months before the Summer Sun. Something is different this year." She found it easier to talk to the un-broken cup than the pony.
She stood up and drew back one of the nearby curtains, so she could look over the castle plaza below. "What could be so special about the thousandth Summer Sun? It is just a nice round number."


A sudden disorientation hit Celestia. Dizzy, she jumped back from the window so she wouldn't fall into the glass.

"Farewell princess." A mare's sensual voice whispered in her ear. "See you later, princess. Have a good life, princess." It was a wrenchingly, painfully familiar voice. Not Twilight Sparkle this time, another cherished voice.

Celestia fell into a sitting position, covering her mouth so she would not scream.

"It was a good life, princess. Long live the princess." The mare's voice continued. It was confident, a little saucy and sarcastic. That is what Celestia had loved about her. "I'm going away for a long time, to that other place, that other side. When I come back, you will take me back, Princess Celestia. You will take me back, and life's luster will return for both of us."

Celestia grabbed the teapot and dumped the remaining tea on her head.


Celestia jolted back to reality. She was still by the window. She could see ponies were milling back and forth in the plaza; Castle staff coming in for the day, and locals just visiting the stalls around the periphery.

"These are my own memories that I am being attacked with. Accursed dream magic." Celestia closed her eyes, trying to squeeze out all thoughts of the cherished mare's voice with her own inner voice. It faded away quickly.


Maybe it was time to return to the southern tower and resume her tireless watch of the southern skies. Celestia had to be vigilant.

"Alicorns do not have dreams." Celestia repeated to herself as she left her chambers. "All save one."


Shining Armor woke from a dreamless sleep shortly after dawn. He felt sore, nauseous, and drowsy. He sat up in his cot and stared at his hooves sticking out from the other end of his bedsheet.
What a life. The worst part, and the best part, was that it kept going. The excitements and desperations of the previous night were over, but now Shining had to deal with the echoing aftermath.

So Shining went through the usual morning routine, stretching, writing a few lines in his diary, and dressing. However, when he opened the door of his small room, he was immediately face to face with a whole gallery of eyes, half the knights supposed to be on watch waiting for him in the barrack hallway.

"Sir Armor." They saluted.

Oh yes. Hauseway had been given a trouncing, cut up and stabbed through the shoulder. "I guess I'm in charge now?" Shining sighed.

"The captain refuses to sign off on making you 'acting captain' in his convalescence, but yeah, all the responsibility is dumped on you." One of the knights said apologetically. "How are you feeling, sir?"

"Sore, a bit tired, dead inside." Shining joked humorlessly. "Nothing I can't work through. I'll deal with the paperwork in the mess. Form a queue over there."



The state of emergency, investigation, and search of the city had generated an enormous amount of complaints and action items to address. It was repetitious, tedious work, but Shining got through it quickly with assistance. Still, there were some deeper issues, such as if the IHG were culpable for the City Guard's abuses during the time they were subordinated.
Other paperwork were requests and documents for various IHG knights, approving schedules, and signing off on other officer's work.
Then, there were the messages, going around the usual channels for complaints. Nobles, guilds, and imperial officials, complaining to, making demands of, and flattering. Shining left that entirely alone.

"We're going to get a lot abuse." Shining mumbled, setting aside another letter addressed to the captain. "The vizier died on our watch and ambitious loudmouths are going to make a stink over it. Deservedly."

"Until we find the traitorous rat behind it all." One of the knights said.
That echoed Hauseway's accusations the night before. Now that the state of emergency was over, it was going to be harder to clean house if there really was a traitorous conspiracy. That was a big if.

Shining tapped the table to redirect his helpers' attention back to the letters they were slogging through. "The investigation is in the hooves of the City Guard detectives now. We return to our duty of protecting the princess and her castle."


Some of the knights were giving Shining strange looks. Did they have opinions about what had happened at the gatehouse? On a few dozen ponies had actually borne witness, but rumors must have been swirling like a typhoon! How the killers had almost escaped but been killed. How Captain Hauseway had tried to arrest Twilight Velvet and Night Light but been humiliated. How Shining Armor had defended his captain's life and honor, even in the face of a superior opponent.
And how it had all been drawn to a close by the Junior Princess.

"Cadence." Shining mumbled to himself.

"The watch officer assigned the junior princess a full compliment of IHG knights while she is out of her tower." One of the knights overheard Shining's whisper. "I think she's in the Throne Room. I couldn't believe my ears! The kiss-and-tell princess is taking charge!"

Shining wanted to yell some abuse back at the knight. But it wouldn't help anything. When it came to Cadenza, most of Shining's enemies were inside his own head.

"Bless her. Maybe a princess coming by will get you saps to shape up. Couldn't get the better of a pair of Inner City tramps." One of the knights guffawed. "Had to be saved by a rhetoric teacher and a middle-age dad."

"Shut the hell up. You weren't there." The first knight blushed.

"If I were there-"

"You'd have eaten shit too!"

The mess hall descended into jeers and laughs as the knights laughed and taunted each other.
Shining sat silently. Some of his IHG comrades had known each other since childhood, having attended the same elite tutors, and been young wards in the same noble courts. It was a fools errand to enforce bans on horseplay, romantic entanglement, and crass behavior. Usually, Shining was that fool, and it was his errand. But he was not in the mood for that battle.

Picking a few documents to deliver in person, Shining rose and left the mess hall. "I'll be in Court. Just sign my name on the rest." He said, though none of the knights were listening, too wrapped up in their banter.

Though Shining felt sour on the banter, thinking about it, he really didn't have any gripes with how his knights had behaved in the stressful, confusing situation at the gatehouse. They had done the best they could, obeyed lawful orders, and acted decisively when most needed. Not to say they had been perfect; Far from it. But Shining was there to try to be the best example he could be.

Shining walked the short distance between the barracks and Canterlot Castle. "It's not all bad." In fact, Shining had a lot to be proud of, if he stopped fixating on the enormous failures for a few minutes.

"Sir." The knights posted at the castle doors waved him in. They were on edge, clearly hoping to catch the next would-be assassin. But time would pass, and they would get lax again, careless, another another would slip through.


"Oh!" An imperial administrator waved Shining down as soon as he entered the castle's grand halls. "You're the IHG chief of staff, yes?"

Shining stared down his nose at the administrator. "I'm the 'deputy' of the Imperial Household Guard. It says literally that on the little slip of paper I got from the princess. Interpret that how you will."

"No need to get snooty now. I'm just trying to talk with the ranking IHG officer. I tried to talk to the captain at the University Hospital but he wouldn't stop raving. Poor stallion is gone mad with paranoia!" The administrator clucked his tongue. "Canterlot is the responsibility of her highness's government, and as such, we have been trying to compile casualty numbers."

"Thank goodness, no IHG knights died last night." Shining said. He had double checked with the morning paperwork. "But from what I heard, at least four city guardsponies died while sweeping the city."

"And two reservists." The administrator nodded. "Most of them are fairly straightforward. Two guardsponies stabbed. One bludgeoned. One dinged by a roof tile. However..." The administrator pulled out a small letter. "The autopsy of a pegasus found in the southern plateau, near the gatehouse, showed severe magical damage."

That caught Shining by surprise. "What? I didn't see any magic used besides weak telekinetic bolts."

"This pegasus was quite badly mulched by entropic, Dark, and other forms of magic. Somepony was using illegal spells and made a mess of this poor pony." The administrator held out the autopsy letter for Shining to read, but he declined. "Sir, I need for you to make absolutely certain that the knights under your command are not using highly dubious magic in the city limits."

That 'in the city limits' tickled Shining despite the morbid context. The administrator wouldn't have cared if the crime had happened outside of his jurisdiction. "I lead spell training periodically, and I assure you that none of my knights are highly trained to preform a spell like that. That's outside the expertise of our mages. The captain could have told you that."

The administrator shrugged. "Though Captain Hauseway is a respectable member of the court, an amicable stallion, and a fellow member in several noble societies I am in, he was not satisfactorily concerned about this matter. His first words were to deflect blame, rather than to take the issue seriously. He may truly believe that Lady Twilight Velvet killed that poor pegasus, but that would only make him a paranoiac, as I said. Considering the preliminary reports of that mad melee by the gate, she has an airtight alibi."

Shining had no interest in continuing the conversation further. "He must have meant it in a more metaphorical sense. Still, a member of the Imperial Council and captain of the guard hooved you a lead. Shouldn't you investigate it before you dismiss it?"

The administrator blinked. "Are you saying I should go ask Lady Twilight Velvet?"

"It would do you more good than talking to me." Shining said gruffly. "If you'll excuse me-" He stepped past the pony and continued into the castle.


At least five ponies dead conducting the search, in addition to the two dead suspect mares, and Fancy Pants. It had been a terrible night, but far from the worst. In decades past, there had been enormous riots that left hundreds dead. Fires which killed and displaced thousands. Waves of disease left bodies in the street. There had even been magical explosions, sudden, unexpected, and traumatizing, which erased the very soil from existence: His sister Twilight Sparkle had almost been caught in one such explosion, which left a steaming crater in place of a whole tower of the Unicorn School.

"Guess I've got to toughen up. This may not be the last imperial official that gets killed like this." Shining said to himself. He hadn't let go of his brooding thoughts on the weakness of the empire. If things got worse, he had to be ready.


Prosser was trotting down the castle halls when he spotted Shining Armor coming his direction.

"Captain Armor! Sleep well?" Prosser smiled.

Shining glared at the smaller stallion, eyes slightly narrowed. "I should punch you, after what you pulled last night. I completely sympathize with Captain Hauseway's abuse of authority because I sure want to toss you in a cell somewhere."

"My lord, I have just come back from a fraught conversation with Princess Celestia, and I would earnestly appreciate a friendly-er conversation. Truly." Prosser said. "It is in that spirit that I extend, with no reservations, my deepest apologies for the ways that I slighted and misled you last night."

Shining had been expecting an argument. He remained silent, letting the earth pony continue.

"I came off much more hostile than I intended when we arrested your father. It was as friendly an arrest as could be managed, all things considered." Prosser sighed for effect. "Yes, I probably deserve to be punched. I owe lots of ponies a punch, frankly. You're in the queue right behind your lady sister."

It was a nice apology, but transparently strategic. Shining couldn't fully accept it. "Yeah we saw you yapping at Twilie at the skydock that day. But this isn't about her. It's about..." Shining wasn't sure what it was about, specifically. Night Light, Cadenza, the state of emergency, honor and respect. "Me. It's about the understanding we had, after our discussion with Celestia, then with Mis Illustrious Valor."

Prosser frowned. "Where is Mis Valor now?"

Come to think of it, Shining didn't know. That could be problematic. "We will find her again." He cleared his throat. "But again you're changing the subject."

"Were you this hostile with Sir Fancy Pants?" Prosser asked.

"No because Fancy Pants, may he rest in peace, never gave me the time of day." Shining grunted.

Councilor Prosser fidgeted, having a difficult time staying contrite. "That I do, counts for nothing? Sir, I offered my apology."

"I have no reason to accept it right away." Shining scoffed.

"For the sake of this nation you will sir!" Prosser suddenly shouted, then just as abruptly shied away, as if ashamed at his own aggressiveness. "Sir I have no responsibility to humiliate myself in front of you. I am at least your equal. You might be deserving of 'Lord Armor' without your cuirass, for your Bright dynasty heritage, but you are an IHG and you surrendered your ego to your knighthood. Be an upstanding gentlepony and accept the apology, please."

Shining listened to Prosser's words with narrowed eyes. "I'm oh-so honorable, am I? I doubt I am your first, second, or third choice, as regards 'upstanding' ponies with names to trade on. Bright dynasty heritage indeed. Did my sister not give you what you wanted?" He shook his head. "You betrayed my trust."


Prosser was realizing that, like with Celestia, clever words weren't going to let him get his way. "Sir, you must have had very different interpretation of your own words from last night. I am trying to explain that you expect me to obey like a dog. I instead obeyed like a tactical ally. Maybe that upset you and your bellicose, drill sergeant ways. For my part being so obsequious is very unusual for me as well, but your order had merit, and I came around to it being the right thing to do. Thus it was last night, that I called on the junior princess at her tower, pleaded for her to take command, and asked for her to lead us through the emergency. Then, she did." Prosser nodded back to the hallway behind him, leading towards the throne room. "Now Princess Cadenza is in command, all to your little order."

Shining struggled to piece things together. It didn't help that every time he even thought her name, his head went cloudy. There was no way he was going to be able to confront the truth of the matter himself.
"We..." He cleared his throat. "We are not rivals councilor. Like you said, we are equals. Whatever either of us have done to chill this working relationship, it is necessary to mend it."

"This antipathy is one-sided. Even if I am peeved by your occasional arrogance, it is less than what I am used to dealing with." Prosser said. "So either forgive me, or give me a clear way to be forgiven, so I don't waste our time."


It was again obvious that the councilor was a pony of strategy, not sentimentality. He wanted clear air with Shining so he wasn't stabbed in the back later. Digging down on his own feelings, Shining wasn't sure he could keep up his anger either. There were other actors to be frustrated with: Twilight Velvet and Seacrest Blackhorn to start with.
Therefore, Shining had to think of the best way to accept the councilor's outstretched hoof, proverbially speaking. "The junior princess is in court? Have... Have you thought about how you are going to explain your roll in last night's affairs to the court? Councilor, I think much depends on that, including my forgiveness."

He might have been expecting a worse demand, because Prosser smiled. "Afraid somepony will steal the spotlight from you? Sir Armor, by all accounts you struck quite the heroic character. There are a dozen version of the story going around, but all of them slip in words of praise for you (and your mother)." Prosser said. "In fact your accusations against me are prefiguring the sophistry that will surely be spun, about how the devious castle bureaucrats sabotaged the knights just trying to do their job."

"I do think you're devious. You showed up right at the end and wrapped it up to your liking." Shining said pointedly.

Prosser shrugged. "If you feel that way, there is not much I can do. Talk to Princess Cadenza and hear her version of events."


Talk to Cadenza. Talk to Cadenza. Talk to Cadenza.
Shining saw her face again, upturned, smiling that sad smile, illuminated by the wavering moonlight. 'It's good to see you.' Her voice echoed back and forth in Shining's skull. Shining yearned, but he wasn't sure what for.


Prosser saw the distant look in the silent unicorn's eye, and didn't push the point further. It was common knowledge that the junior Princess Cadenza and the imperial protege Twilight Sparkle had been close friends at various points, enemies at others. The relationship between Cadenza and Shining Armor was more rumored, less clear, and much higher stakes.
The junior princess was not a controversial subject for no reason. Shining Armor had every incentive to hide his history with Mi Amore Cadenza.

"I will ask her." Shining said slowly. "I have letters to deliver to her, and I must make consultations on the IHG disposition following the events last night, and general affairs after the prolonged princess-ly absence from the court."

Seeing Shining Armor's evasiveness, Prosser decided to push. "Has it been a while since you two talked? You should spend some time to catch up." Prosser winked, taking joy in how the suggestion made Shining tense up. "It doesn't have to be all buisness. As long as the junior princess is out of her tower, her time is her own prerogative. Like you said last night, it is charity to us that she works to save us, to whatever degree she does so." For smiled. "And to the degree that Princess Celestia has declined to do so."


Shining Armor would have chastised the councilor for slagging off Celestia had he been in a different mood. At that moment, he agreed with Prosser's coy criticism. Besides, he was happy Prosser was offering to change the subject away from Cadenza. "Princess Celestia will find her love for us when her health improves, I trust?"

Prosser nodded. "She walked and spoke as normal this morning. However, I do not think she is feeling well." He paused reflexively, but instead of choosing his next lie, he opted for some honesty. "Our princess might not be long for this world."

Shining, already with so much on his mind, likely would have preferred a comforting lie. "Oh." He muttered. "Then the new vizier, whoever they are, could have a divine Secession to manage. How..." He sighed. "Daunting."

"I said 'might', for what comfort that gives. Her ailment may pass." Prosser said.

Though he was fairly ignorant about the finer points of dogma, having chosen the life of a sword of the princess rather than her priest, he knew something was being withheld. "The 'Alicorn ailment' you mention last night. You know, since I am acting in Captain Hauseway's absence, I could press you hard on that point. The IHG is responsible for the princess's life and safety."

"True, it's not dropsy or consumption, or some other humorously-named disease. I will explain later. I feel a bit lightheaded right now." Prosser said.


Whether the councilor was actually lightheaded, Shining accepted the pause in conversation. "I will hold you to that. I still have to consult the junior princess on all of this, including your perfidy." He sighed. "If you actually desire my esteem, help me dodge the court nonsense."

"By all means, sir. I will follow you to the throne." Prosser nodded with a sly smile.


The imperial administrator, having been more or less ordered to talk to Twilight Velvet by Sir Shining, took a carriage across the city to do just that. All the while he tutted at the signs of the previous night's trouble, where there had been damage by scuffles between guardsponies and residents, or otherwise. The IHG captain Hauseway's carriage was still lying on its side, though it had been dragged off the street.

The administrator straightened his papers and knocked on the Chateau la Garde's door.
To his surprise, the knock was answered swiftly, and by the lord regent of the chateau.

"Goof morning." The administrator bowed his head slightly. "Were you expecting me, my lord?"

"No, I was having my tea in the foyer right behind me. It's quieter than the greathall, with all the guests still around." The stallion said. "Wait, 'my lord'?" He paled. "Sir, I beg you not mistake me. I'm Sel Lech Sabonord, merely a courtier to her ladyship, and his lordship. Err, Seacrest Blackhorn, that is. I am just-" Sel Lech cut off his own nervous stammering. "Sorry. You need something, I suppose?"

The administrator mentally shrugged at his mistake, remembering Night Light was detained. "Good morning Sir Sabonord. I work at the castle. See the tassels, yes? I am a Canterlot manager lately, so I have a few questions about the casualties from last night."

Sel Lech made a face. "I saw some of it..." He thought better of saying anything without Velvet's input, and cleared his throat. "But not much. Sorry again."


"Uh, sure. I am after the Lady Twilight Velvet." The administrator clarified. "Not 'after', after. I just have a few questions, following some information from IHG officials."

The door opened wider, and a severe looking mare in a maid's uniform nudged Sel Lech back. "If you have questions, come calling during a court like any other supplicant to a lady." The maid said.

The administrator was no stranger to being told off by nobles and servants. "Should it please her ladyship, we are trying to work through accusations. You see there was some manner of Dark magic used against a pegasi last night. It was right over there." The administrator pointed across the open space in front of the gatehouse, to a patch of green with trees and hedges. "So we, we being the castle, are trying to determine who might have murdered the pegasus and cast the illegal spells."

The maid stared at the administrator, unblinking for a few moments. "I speak for Lady Twilight Velvet when I say that is unfortunate. Condolences to the pegasus family."

"Nopony here is a suspect in any respect. We know Lady Velvet has an alibi. Nonetheless, we would appreciate any and all help tracking down the perpetrator(s)." The administrator said. He had known he wasn't going to get anything, but it was still fun to ask.

The door opened even wider, and Twilight Velvet waved the maid back towards the greathall. "I'm a busy mare with many guests to entertain, and without my husband's help too."

The administrator nodded. "Yes my lady, I know. That was a very heroic thing you did at the gateh-"

"Thank you, but let's cut to the chase. Who who sent you?" Velvet demanded.

"I've come after accusations from Captain Hauseway of the IHG." The administrator withheld his opinion on Hauseway's paranoia this time. "The captain made some claims and the adjunct directed me to you more directly."

"So 'adjunct' Sir Shining Armor sent you." Velvet asked. She glanced down to the bundle of papers the administrator was holding. "May I see those?"

The administrator hesitated. "They're imperial documents."

With a huff, Velvet snatched the whole bundle out of his hooves. "Why would you bring them if you didn't want me to look." She began flipping through pages. "When my daughter was still studying with Celestia, she would sometimes unwittingly carry secret documents back from the Court and Council when she visited. I still have a few somewhere."

"Well, uhh..." The administrator watched helplessly. "My lady, umm, the questions I had concerned page seven. You see, the Dark magic used-"

"I see it." Velvet picked out the page and rapidly scanned down the page. She visibly recoiled. "My goodness." She whispered.

The administrator nodded, hoping he'd get the papers back soon. "Yes indeed those spells are illegal for a reason, my lady. So, if you could just answer a few questions-"


The maid returned from the greathall and whispered into Velvet's ear. Velvet considered it, and whispered back. Sel Lech, still standing off to the side, smiled apologetically to the administrator.

"Sir," Velvet turned back to the administrator. "There was a powerful magical phenomenon reported last night, setting off measuring devices at the University. You should consult them on whether it killed that pegasus."

"Oh? A university doctor and mage were who investigated the cadaver. You will see that on page six. But I suppose dousing and magical devices are another department." The administrator was not too eager for another lede that would probably go nowhere. "Can I have those back now?"

"Have a good day." Velvet passed back the stack of papers, purposefully letting some slip off to get carried by the breeze. When the administrator turned to chase after the pages, Velvet shut the door.
"I hope that dead end keep them occupied for a while." She said.

"That is, until another body shows up, my lady. That nightmare I met on the gatehouse is no trifling matter." The maid said.

"We are well versed in putting the harness on Nightmares." Velvet laughed humorlessly.

"I hope this is all metaphor, my lady." Sel Lech said. He shied away from the dirty look he'd earned. "I'll just finish my tea and get back to Lord Blackhorn then. Unless you need me in the dungeon, my lady."

"No, see to Blackhorn." Velvet nodded. "Another busy day! Let's not let my husband's arrest weigh on us. We won't be distracted by cruel temptations." She smiled to herself. "Things feel like they are falling into place. Do I imagine it, or..."

"No, my lady. You do not imagine it. Your power grows." The maid said matter of factly.

Velvet may have preferred a pronouncement like that to be enunciated reverently, but such things could wait. "Back to the task of conquest."


Shining was wrapped up in his own thoughts, letting his legs carry him through the Canterlot Castle halls. When he habitually turned into the threshold of the throne room, and zoned back to his surroundings, he thought for a moment he had made a mistake.

The Imperial Court: the flock of minor functionaries, imperial officials, provincial wards, Canterlot officials, courtiers, and supplicants who hovered around the sun princess's throne on a day-to-day basis. Their work was to translate the living justice of the princess's decisions from the throne into policy radiating out through the imperial apparatus. Theoretically. Usually the court was a pit of snakes and sycophants, self-obsessed nobles vying to put their stamp on the process.
Shining did not loath the court, as it was an effective play-pen to keep the most useless and venal nobles in Canterlot occupied. Still, when the princess was lax (or not there) it became very annoying, with petty drama rippling back and forth between the cliques of nobles.

That day, the whole room was rippling but with bodies. There were more ponies than Shining had ever seen in the place, packing the galleries on either side of the colonnades, and gathered in clusters down the center of the voluminous hall.
There were nobles and commoner alike. The guard were doing their best to keep the irate ponies away from each other’s throats, and it seemed the only reason they could was that the crowd's ire was directed toward the throne and not each other.


“Celestia preserve us.” Shining moaned. How had so many ponies gotten in, and so early in the day? Was it coordinated?

“Ahem, 'princess' Celestia preserve us." Prosser corrected. "I think you’d be good pickled, but as for me, I’d like to be a jam.”

"Not funny. This is both a fire hazard and a riot hazard." Shining had to raise his voice as the weaved through the ponies. “Who's in charge?"

"That's a very good question." Prosser smirked.

Asshole. "Councilor, did the princess tap an acting vizier? Did she put anypony in charge of the court and administration?" Shining asked. He already knew the answer; It would have been mentioned earlier.

Prosser shrugged. "It never came up. I hope you do not see me in that accursed role sir. I'm far to delicate a pony, and an earth pony-"

"Just stuff it." Shining sighed. He was having to shoulder ponies out of the way to progress down the hall.
Now some of the IHG knights were bellowing threats, pushing uncooperative nobles back from them.

“Hmmm. I’m thinking salt, but considering how sour they are, they could also go with just being dried out.” Prosser mused to himself. "Still not funny?"


While it was wild and chaotic, Shining was not afraid of the nobles nor commoners come to harangue the throne. He was afraid of the pony on that throne, briefly glimpsed through the crowd, who sat upon that throne.
She was waiting for him. Her sad smile, fleeting, pierced his heart. The junior princess was waiting for him, Shining Armor.

"I've done this..." Shining muttered. "I've done this to her. I pulled her in front of this crowd and made her a scapegoat." A deep well of shame, always there for issues of Cadence, bubbled up again. He deserved to be the one weathering the cacophonous abuse, not her. He had been weak and broken the princess's peace, and nothing would make up for that.

But Shining broke through the crowd, almost losing his balance when he had no pony in front of him to shove. He returned to the moment.
He was at the front of the throne room. Behind him, the line of IHG knights were keeping the others at bay.

Shining glanced behind him, then looked forward, then up. Up at the throne. Up at the center of an empire, the focal point of the lives of millions.
There she was, in her aunt's absence.

"Princess!" Shining straightened up. So awkward, so undignified, he berated himself. He was unworthy to stand in her presence. He deserved her scorn. He deserved her abuse. He deserved-



"Shining." Her yanked him out of the mire of his own self-loathing. Shining started looking with eyes unclouded.
Mi Amore Cadenza was dwarfed by the alicorn-sized throne around her, and although divine herself, the junior princess was barely larger than a stallion. She was smiling. It was that sad smile, but there was a sparkle to her eyes. In his heart, Shining knew it was because she was holding out a chance to make that smile real.
"Shining, it's okay."

Shinig bowed his head and tried not to cry. It was difficult, but he managed. "Yes princess. It's all okay. It's good to see you too."


TWO WEEKS LATER


Twilight had gotten used to waking up in Ponyville. She no longer felt the disorientation of wondering why the ceiling didn't match her room back in Canterlot. Twilight wasn't sure what to feel about it.

t was later than she was used to waking up, but it was understandable considering how late she had been staying up. She checked stretches and some light morning reading off her routine, then went down for breakfast. All the confusion, hurt, and other feelings of the first few days had mostly faded away. Twilight Sparkle had purpose in Ponyvile, and when Twilight had purpose, she committed herself wholeheartedly.
"Back to the work."


Applejack had come to recognize the light, regular sound of Twilight Sparkle approaching; It was an earth pony thing, she almost couldn't help it. She sat up in her chair behind her apple stall, turning slightly towards the noble unicorn.

"Good morning Applejack. Lovely day, isn't it?" Twilight asked. She only had saddlebags on, probably because it was getting hotter during the days and her usual linen dress wasn't flow-y enough to be practical for the heat. Twilight's ward Spike was also absent.

"Not much buisness, ma'am. I timed my market visit bad. Probably'd get more tomorrow." Applejack grunted, casting an eye over the other stalls circling the market square. "Ponies don't buy apples every single day." She shifted in her chair. "But I ain't bothered. I mostly come to visit town. Dunno if I'd come if I didn't have the excuse."

Twilight nodded. "I've had times where I've been pretty anti-social, going from home to class, to food, and not much else. I wasn't very engaged with Canterlot life." She said. "But I'm glad you're here."

Applejack leaned forward in her chair. "That 'cuz you're gunna ask me to help you?"

Twilight smiled cheekily. "Yes it is, Mis Applejack."


For Applejack, refusing barely even crossed her mind. Now that she had gotten to know Twilight Sparkle better, and gotten over her reservations, Applejack considered it almost a responsibility to assist the little unicorn. Twilight seemed to have picked up on this, but whether Twilight thought it was a feudal deference or of the gracious nature in which it was offered, she had not asked Applejack to do anything unreasonable yet.

"Hey, Rose, watch the stall, ehh?" Applejack called over to a neighboring market stall.

The mare at the other stall, an older beige mare with a strawberry mane, waved back.

"Alrighty Lady Twilight, I'm good to go for a little while." Applejack jumped up.

Twilight led the way towards the river. "The community you Ponyvillians have is very charming. You don't have trust like that in Canterlot."

Applejack voiced her skepticism with a tongue click. "Now it ain't as romantic as all that. There's ponies I trust, and those I don't. You'd know that. Roseluck is one'a Rarity's friends, but I trust her. I'd trust Cherry Berry less." Applejack accompanied her words with a subtle tail flick towards a vegetable stall, where a pink mare with a bright gold mare was serving a villager.


Twilight was passively listening, but since both Applejack and Rarity were helping her now, she was less doggedly interested in digging into the intricacies of their feud. "Are some of Rarity's friends less tolerable to you than others?"

"Some'v'em been real arrogant in the past." Applejack said, grimacing. She shook her head, reticent of saying too much. "I don't wanna talk about it. There's good and bad ponies, and certain beliefs just bring out the bad."

Certain beliefs? Curious. "Was it like that in Manehattan too?" Twilight asked.

Applejack went rigid like she had been stung, at the unexpected dredging-up of her past revealed at the 'trail'. She sighed and slowly un-tensed. "Don't remember. Even if I did, it's probably different nowadays than it was back then."


As evasive an answer as could be imagined, but Twilight was satisfied. "These are dynamic times. Speaking of, I want to check out some spots on the other bank of the river today. I could use your knowledge of local geography."

"Fine by me. I'll make sure nothin' hassles you, Lady Twi." Applejack nodded.


The sweet music, so tantalizing, so unplacable. It was some kind of... symphony, yes, a symphony. Not a concerto, or a solo. It was the full harmony of etherial instruments, irresistibly dark beautiful that almost brought a tear to Twilight's eye as she focussed on it. It thrummed, violent but comforting, swelling to cacophonous heights but quickly retreating to seductive lows. It appealed to every feeling and memory simultaneously.
A Nightmare melody, a lure. Unsuspecting ponies would be led all the way to the Nightmare Altar in the ruined castle.

"I fell for it that story night. I was weak." Twilight berated herself. Twilight had begun to hear it again, the haunting refrains of the nightmare alter. So faint, and yet the haunting refrains of the melody made her head pound and her eyes dilate. She retreated a few steps, and the haze cleared.

Twilight pulled another stake out of her pack and jabbed it into the earth with her telekenisis.
Applejack looked on bemusedly. "Before you ask again, we're 'bout fifty hooves south and ten hooves west 'a where you put the last marker."


Grass rippled in the wind. The Everfree Forest loomed in front of the mares, a few hundred hooves off. The burble of the river could be heard behind them.
"Than you Applejack." Twilight pulled out her scroll and quill to note the position.


After the horrible night in the ruins, faced with the shadowy visage of the Nightmare Pretender, Twilight had two objectives: One, she had to discover whether the dream in the ruin had been 'real', an actual happening in the Waking World or dreamscape, or just a figment of an exhausted mind. Two, determine the who, what, when, where, and why of the dark dream.

Within two weeks, Twilight had only gotten fleeting results. There was some magical emanation from the forest, changing in feeling and power every day, like the chaotic weather. Without better instruments, Twilight's methods were slow measurements and tedious calculations back at the Golden Oak. But that alone had not proved the realness of the dream in the ruin.
But now Twilight heard music. What did it mean? Was the dark altar 'real'? Did it exist in the physical world, or was it spilling out from a dream? Twilight had a simple theory: The Nightmare's snare was reset, a delicious lure on the pony mind of alien melodies.
However there was a snag in the proof, that only Twilight could hear it.



"I just gotta say again that I don't approve 'a puttin' the Summer Sun Fair stuff this close to the forest." Applejack said. She strolled in a circle to releive her boredom while Twilight jotted down more notes. She passed within the zone Twilight had heard the music, then back out, then back in again. Applejack seemed neither to notice nor be entranced by the nightmare's symphony. "Just askin' for trouble. Only bad things go in and outta there."

"If I look like I'm about to go it, physically restrain me." Twilight said, playing it for a joke. "I might need an earnest pony to set me straight if I get carried away with what's in my head."

"True that, ma'am. Sometimes I've got no time for lazy dreamers." Applejack chuckled. "Im a practical mare, a farm mare, and so are most decent ponies 'round here."

"If you say so." Twilight said absently, continuing to jot notes.


Applejack must have been expecting more, either pushback or agreement. She cleared her throat and stopped her pacing right in front of Twilight. "Ya know, I think you should run y'alls plans for this by the ponies y'all worked so hard to bring together."

Twilight looked up from her notes. "I intend to."

"It's 'cuz I've I’ve seen y’all hoverin' round hereabouts for the last few days all by your lonesome. Pinkie's seen it. Fluttershy's probably seen it more, if she'd share it with me." Applejack said. Her tone wasn't accusatory, per se, but she was clearly signaling suspicion, trying to get Twilight explain herself. "It ain't safe, nor is it decent."


"Decent?" Twilight put her notes and quill away. "I am not sure I understand your definition of decency."

Applejack made a muddled face. "Only bad things come and go from the Everfree, I said. Everypony knows it's dangerous. More'n that, there devilish evil in there."

Was Applejack referencing the nightmare? "How do you know that? What kind of 'bad things' have been coming and going?" Twilight asked.

"I ain't accusin' you. I'm warning you is all. Y'all should stay away from all that. It ain't decent." Applejack repeated. "it could get you in trouble."



“Everypony seems to have their own incomprehensible reasons for steering me away from the Everfree Forest. And not just the Everfree, but even this bank of the river. Why is there a bridge then? Doesn't Mis Fluttershy live on this bank, a kilometer south or something? But for some reason, you're all so interested in my strolling habits." Twilight snarked. "With all due respect, Mis Applejack, you should mind yourself and not tell me what to do. Focus on yourself and your own buisness, like all those fallow orchards, so I I wouldn't have to worry about importing food for the Fair."

Applejack cringed at the insult.

Twilight felt a bit bad. Applejack hadn't stepped that far over the line. "I'm sorry I just-"


"It ain't nothin." Applejack interrupted. "Y'all are right anyway. I've been stickin' my nose in places it don't belong."

Twilight went back to her notes. "Nevertheless, my indignation was an overreaction. I have nothing to hide from anypony."


Applejack did not seem convinced of that point, but said nothing.

For her part, Twilight didn't care if Applejack was suspicious of her. What could the earth pony even be suspecting her of? Cavorting with forest lunatics, or whatever folk superstitions they had around Ponyville? It didn't seem like Applejack or anypony else had a clue about the ruins, nor the Nightmarish forces that lurked in the dark dreams (or perhaps only in Twilight's imagination).
The straightforward thing to do would be to ask: Twilight could have asked Applejack directly what she feared, and if she had heard of the Nightmare. But Twilight did not want to do that.

Twilight shuffled through the long grass to a point a few hundred hooves further south. She trotted slowly towards the treeline, then retreated very quickly back to Applejack as soon as she heard the entrancing music.


"It looks mighty funny when you do that." Applejack giggled.

As Twilight put another stake in the soil and recorded her observations. She would make sense of it all later, with a map and her other notes. She considered sending copies to the University to see what her old professors thought of the auras she had measured. But what if they snitched to Celestia? Twilight had no idea what Celestia would do if she caught wind Twilight wasn't working on the Summer Sun Fair, but rather pursuing the Nightmare Pretender lead again.

It occured to Twilight that there were other ways she could potentially prove the reality of the dream she'd had, little details from what she had seen and heard. "Do you have many visitors to Ponyville?"

"Nope. The barge-pollers who trade along the Dneighper River don't even bother to come into town, most of the time. Someponies have family that visit." Applejack said. Her brow furrowed. "About seven 'r so years ago, a bunch of ponies left Ponyville. Most went to Baltimare. Can't say I mis that lot."

Twilight was not curious about the Baltimare Ponyvillians, but she had to stay on topic. "Any strangers come through town recently?"

Applejack gave Twilight a look but held off from the easy joke. "Nothin' comes to mind. Why do you ask?"

"A few days ago I received some information about a mare with black fur who the royal authorities are interested in." Twilight said. She was stretching the truth to its breaking point, but it wasn't an outright lie; Unlikely that Applejack ask which royal. "Sources hinted that the mare was in this region."

"A black-furred mare?" Applejack pondered this. “Can't say that I've seen'm, because I haven't."

"That fine I wasn't expecting anything. It just makes it somepony else's problem." Twilight said.
As things stood, Twilight was coming around to the idea that she would have to enter the Everfree Forest to prove the details of the dream true. The issue was, obviously, that she had thought she was awake the last time, when she had not been. Her own perception of reality was as dastardly as any nightmare force.


Twilight was about to ask Applejack if she had had any trouble dreams too, when it occurred to her that Rarity had asked her a vary similar question. Had it been the very day before the dream in the ruin? Twilight did not recall. However she did remember Rarity being the one asking it.
"Sleep well?" Twilight asked casually.

"Eh? Ain't that a strange thing to say into the middle of a conversation? You'd more ask a question like that right when seein' somepony for the first time that day." Applejack said. "Yeah I sleep fine most nights. I've got a nice bed and a nice mattress 'n all that." She turned solemn. "You doin somethin' to change that, ma'am?"

Twilight shook her head. "No, no, it's nothing like that. I don't know why I thought I'd ask. The thought just struck me."


Taking another glance look at her notes in the lul in the conversation, Twilight thought she identifies a pattern. Unless she went into the Everfree, she was not going to find the next point at the edge of the nightmare melody's aura. It was probably no use to ask Applejack to accompany her into the demon forest. Though Twilight had successfully traversed it that stormy night, that had been in a dream: who knew what dangers lurked in the waking world?



"I think I am finished here, and sooner than expected." Twilight said.

"Ya know I've never met a mare like y'all, Lady Twi." Applejack shrugged, following behind Twilight as she waded through the grass.

"You were in Manehattan for years. Surely there were students and academics there." Twilight posed.

Applejack shrugged. "The fancy-shmancy universities in Canterlot must be done different than in the earth pony Free Cities. I met plenty'a engineer student, and math student. They were practical-minded ponies that reminded me of the honest farmers 'round here."

"I'll have you know I've taken several engineering classes, enough for a degree if I was after it." Twilight said defensively. "Just because you don't understand magic doesn't making not practical either. Canterlot is full of practicing magicians, doing every-day work. I happen to chose theoretical and multi-disciplinary work."

Applejack smirked. "And that's why I said I ain't met nopony like you."

"No, you said you 'never met a mare like y'all' verbatim. Tell me, are there rules or do you just make up the county-isms." Twilight said in a huff.


Applejack saw she had irritated Twilight. "Hey now, I don't mean nothin' by what I said. I think yer.... quirky. It's a might charming."

The compliment was unexpected. Twilight had plenty of experience with ponies, earnestly or cynically, complementing her. Sometimes it had been because she was a noble, and the imperial protege. Some where flirting. Twilight had never respected a compliment from strangers: What did they really know about her? So she usually responded with coldness.
So having to dwell on how to reciprocate Applejack's apology/complement, Twilight opted for silence.

In her silence, slowly treading through the long grasses on the way to the bridge across the river, Twilght heard something. It was... a fragment of the Nightmare melody. But not in her head, but with her ears! Twilight froze in place, her ears twitching, trying to determine direction.
But the rustle of wind over the grass was too loud now.

"Was that you?" Twilight asked tensely.

Applejack sighed. "Is quirky too strong a word too? Look, I'm try'na be nice. You 'bout know I ain't good at it. You could stand to loosen up too though."

"Sure sure, I think you're quirky too, sweaty." Twilight rushed through the words. "I mean the song. The little-" She pursed her lips and tried to recreate the melody with a whistle. It didn't come sounding like a song at all; Just discordant notes.

Applejack stared at Twilight. "Huh?"


The invisible moment was gone, for now. First in a dream, then in her head, now in her ears, the physical world! Twilight just had to prove it. The Nightmare was crawling closer... But what did it matter if only Twilight seemed to notice? Was she cursed? As often happened, Twilight's thoughts delved into paranoid contemplations, thinking of all the ways that it was tied back to Celestia.
Mind games. It was ALWAYS mind games with Celestia. Would the princess set up such an elaborate situation, just to torment her? Maybe. Maybe. That dark night, when Twilight had thought she had been talking to the rarified Nightmare Pretender, was it a guise of the sun princess?

"This sucks." Twilight grumbled to herself.

Applejack waited for Twilight to say more. The farm pony looked concerned.



Grinding her teeth slightly, Twilight turned and continued to lead the way back to Ponyville. Now the biting paranoia was wearing at the trust she had been harboring for the village ponies.
"Ever talk to god?" Twilight asked.

"Which one?" Applejack answered immediately, a habitual, almost automatic answer to the question.

"The one that matters." Twilight motioned upwards. It was almost noon. "Her."

"They got big Celestial temples in Manehattan, but my hosts weren't faithful ponies. Still I been in there with my friends, other merchant wards, clerks, neighborhood fillies 'n colts. Sometimes it was just to cause trouble. But other times-" Applejack cleared her throat. "When the sun's shinin' just right, there's magic."


"And?" Twilight pressed.

"And it makes me think that it's really how they say, that she's up their guiding us." Applejack said. "Her light warms and moves us, all that stuff. Couldn't grow nor live without sunlight, after all. That ol' sun's surely due some worship on those accounts."


Some of that was true. Some of that was untrue. Twilight had, at various points in her life, been given over to faith and faithfulness. It was one of the ways her adoration for Celestia had manifested, in those youthful years before the drawn out estrangement. Twilight could likely still argue on finer points of dogma over the nature of the Sun and her plans for ponykind, if she put in the effort. She even remembered a few hymns and, most embarrassingly, a few attempts at stylized poetry dedicated to the faith.
Like so much else it had turned to bitterness for her. "Was there a Solar Monastery in Manehattan too?"

"Eh?" Applejack had clearly never heard of such a thing before.

"You know, where the monks chart the sun and stars?" Twilight elaborated. "They have observatories, with big telescopes. No?"

Applejack gave an unsure nod. "Maybe. On the hills across the bay-"

"Yes, yes." Twilight interrupted. "They like to build the monasteries on high elevation."

"Then I guess there's a solar monastery. Always wondered what that thing was." Applejack shrugged. "But why y'all askin'?"


"I guess I'm just drawing parallels between my life in Canterlot and yours in Manehattan." Twilight said. Perhaps Applejack had a similarly rocky relationship with her mentor.

Applejack was silent for a moment. "Fluttershy grew up in a big city too. Cloudsdale's probably got one'a them monasteries too." It did not seem like she wanted to discuss Manehattan any longer. Fine.



They were near the bridge now. Twilight saw a few ponies lingering near the side of the river chatting and laughing; But when the ponies saw Twilight and Applejack back, they went silent and withdrew between the cottages into Ponyville .

"Little varmints." Applejack spat, suddenly irate.

Twilight thought she had seen the pony Applejack had mentioned earlier, Cherry Berry, among the group. Though Applejack was certainly predisposed to distrust 'Rarity's friends', Twilight was also somewhat suspicious. But then again, what nefarious thing could it possibly be?

"I guess we bothered whatever their little game was." Twilight shrugged.


Applejack stopped on the middle of the bridge, her expression unreadable.

"Come on, you think they were spying on you or something?" Twilight asked, incredulous.

Applejack leaned on the parapet, staring into the river waters below. She seemed conflicted about her next words. "Lady Twilight, do you believe in demons?"

Twilight arched a brow. "Yes. Objectively, they exist."

"What do you believe about demons?" Applejack pressed.

Twilight took a deep breath. "Ookay, that depends on if you're using demon colloquially, or taxonomically. Speaking scientifically, I believe the latest consensus on demons which is informed by history and empirical magical study. I believe books, research papers, and my own eyes."

"Your eyes?" Applejack asked, taken aback.

The conversation was going to get bogged down in minutia but Twilight was fine with that. "Sure. Some demon species live in the Waking World, so I've seen taxidermies, pelts, and wall-mountings. Some live in the dreamworld; I saw one for a few seconds when a dream magician at the University tried to summon it for her final project. Some live up there." Twilight motioned up towards the cosmos, the same motion for when they had talked of the holy Sun. "But I have never seen the ones from out there."
Unless you counted the alicorns.

Applejack mulled over the barrage of information. "What's it look like?"

"A lot of creatures get classified as demons. Terrestrial demons look like any other animal, big and small. The dream demon I saw was kinda cat-like, upright like an Abyssinian, a cat-man. I heard some dream demons look like big spiders too. Nightmares' appearance is particular to the viewer, but they straddle the line between terrestrial and dream worlds. Or, they used to. Nightmares were entirely eradicated." Twilight said. "I'm not going to bother mentioning the cosmic. They are, well..." Twilight felt the natural trepidation of any mortal creature when contemplating the vast and gluttonous nature of the malevolent entities that dwelled in the depths of space. "They're bad. Luckily there is an oosphere of dream energy between us and heaven."

"Feels like I'm gettin' more than I asked for." Applejack said.

Twilight sympathized. "To simplify, there is one common thing about demons, and why we classify them together: They are magical entities, metaphysically aligned with Dark magic."

"Sounds about right." Applejack remarked, perking up at the sinisterness connotations of 'Dark magic'.

"A lot of negative emotion is also metaphysically aligned with Dark magic. I could go on for ages about it." Twilight said. "But what is even more important than what demons are, is that there aren't that many left in Equestria. As I alluded, the were genocided during the Northern Wars, Unification Wars, and Everfree Siege."

"That ain't a word I ever heard as a verb before." Applejack said.

"It is what it is. No use feeling sad about something Celestia did a thousand years ago. There are still some demons in the Foal Mountains, the far north, or wild areas." Twilight didn't mention what was obvious by implication, that there were likely some in the Everfree as well. "I've never seen a live one beside the dream cat, and that barely counts. I look every time my family goes hunting in Foal but they're too clever and hide themselves very well."

'Hunting?' Applejack mouthed to herself, confused. But on second thought, she seemed to decide to try to get back on track, and not accept Twilight's second digression. "Ever known a pony to worship demons?"


Once again, it depended on how you counted alicorns. But Twilight did not say that. "That is not legal. Demons are not an accepted visage of the Sun's grace. Some sects even call for more demon eradication."

"It's heretical, is what y'all're sayin'. It's heretical 'n bad." Applejack insisted.

"I'm not going to make a normative claim. But yes, more than just heretical, it's plain heathen belief." Twilight shrugged. "It used to be more common during the warlord era. It was basically outlawed when Celestia unified Equestria and the Celestine dogma was codified into the state religion."


"Humph. Tell you what, you're gunna get that 'n worse if you keep pressin' on the Everfree." Applejack said, her expression during grave. "Pinkie Pie told me where she found you that night. Ma'am, I'll tell y'all that I got an ego myself, and I know better 'n try to mess with the Everfree. It's the domain of bad, evil things."

Twilight felt a murmur of indignance that Pinkie Pie had told Applejack, but she should have expected it. She smiled good-naturedly. “I laugh in the face of demons.”
Twilight remembered the dream laughter of the demon alicorn in the throne room. Twilight had been smug and hubristic for a mere moment, and the Nightmare had punished her for it with violent redress. Though Twilight blew off Applejack's ominous warning off as superstition, there was obvious truth to it.

Applejack was not pleased with Twilight's flippancy. "More like you lecture in the face of demons, Lady Twi."

"Yeah whatever. I believe you about the danger, but I have my own way of showing it." Twilight chuckled. Her faux-bravado was easily seen through. "However, for the moment, Mis Applejack, I must take my leave. I have to go talk to Mis Pinkie Pie about some things."

Applejack's mouth twisted, as she seemed to contemplate saying more. "Alrighty then, sure. Guess I'll see ya 'round. I better head back to the market. I've burdened Rose enough."


They crossed the rest of the bridge and went on their separate ways through the village.
It was halfway to the bakery before it suddenly occurred to Twilight that Applejack had been not-so-subtly been accusing her of being a demon worshipper.
"That pugnacious peasant. She's more paranoid than I am." Twilight laughed to herself.


Lately, Shining had been feeling good. The mood of sourness and sternness of the past few months had lifted, a ray of joy evaporating the fog of the slow downward spiral.
"Ray of joy, thy name is: Mi Amore Cadenza, Princess of Equestria."

Shining was winding his way up the Canterlot Castle keep, on his way to the junior princess's tower. It was a path he was getting more familiar with, now that he was using it almost every day. It still filled him with equal trepidation and exhilaration to see her. It would never become dull, never become just another duty.


But on that particular day, Shining was ignorant to shadows looming over him.
"Sir Armor! Hey!" A familiar voice called out to Shining from behind him. The first shadow.

Shining turned to face the voice. "Mis Illustrious Valor?" He cocked his head. He had assumed she had fled the city, since her disappearance that night at the city gate.

It was indeed Illustrious Valor grinning broadly, a jaunty spring in her step. "It's Iillor, please sir."


Shining bit his lip, unsure how to handle the mare. How had she gained access to the upper levels of the keep? "Yes I remember. However you must excuse me mis. It's not a good time." He continued on his way towards the tower.

Undeterred, Iillor followed a few steps behind him. "You should be excusing me, Sir Armor. I came to apologize. I thought you would be angry with me for not checking in with you. You said you needed me as a witness."

That had been a long time ago, Shining mused. "The suspects are dead, incinerated. There is not much to identify, no trial, and no use for a witness. Maybe there will be a thorough inquiry at some point. As for now, we still don't even have a grand vizier. It's a trial just to keep things running." Shining said. It was a hint to her not to get in his way.

"Ok I get I was a bit cheeky the other night, but I promise I won't interfere at all. I'll just be your company for the day.” Iillor said with a wink.

Shining sighed. "Mis, I have other company planned."

"I'm not jealous Sir Armor. I'll stay out of your way." Iillor giggled.


Shining glanced back at the tenacious earth pony. He remembered, through the haze of emotional memory, the teasing she'd given him before. He also remembered his suspicions of her. Alas, it mattered so little now. The night of Fancy Pants's death felt like a year ago. "Mis, respectfully, you're a random citizen. While I may be a mere knight, I have ponies relying on me to preform my duties adequately."

"Are you going to escort me all the way down to the front door? Are you going to kick me out, sir?" Iillor tittered.

What was her deal? "I could put you back in the cell I found you in. But you keenly realize I don't have the time." Shining said. "You're going to be in trouble once I do have the time."

"Going to punish me? But sir, I'm just a petitioner, just like all the other ponies crowding into the castle." Iillor said.

Shining was approaching his destination, the door between the section of the castle keep, and the tower. "Prithee obey what I am ordering of you, Mis Iillor. If you transgress you will find me much less pleasant." He said curtly, losing patience. "We can talk about whatever you want, but later. I have no time for doting debutantes."



"Sir Armor?" A cheerful voice called out from behind the door.
Before Shining could react, the door handle was encased in light blue magic, and pushed open.

The junior princess, Mi Amore Cadenza, tilted her head down slightly to look Shining Armor in the eye. She was pink furred, with purple streaks throughout mane, tail, and the feathers. Her crystal blue eyes were matched by her mark, a geometric crystal heart heralded by golden lace.
Friendly to a fault, open-hearted, kind- Cadenza was all the pony magnanimity of her 'aunt' and superior, Celestia, with none of the hard edge necessary for governance of an empire. She was the controversial alicorn, and always would be.


It was depressing, and more than a little infuriating, for Shining to remember all the ways Cadence had been slighted and insulted after Celestia had introduced her to the court. The ungrateful ponies, far from being understand and duly awed by the new institution of 'junior princess', reacted as they always did: with jealous protection of their privileges.
For years, the Court had repeatedly conspired to humiliate Cadence! And Celestia, too lax for her own good, had let her junior princess be the subject of every court intrigue, until an invisible line was crossed, and she finally acted: Dozens of nobles were censured, some jailed, some exiled, while Cadenza was all but locked away in her tower, her education at the University suspended. And Shining Armor, her greatest admirer, went years without seeing her.
Now, for all the issues going on in Canterlot, it seemed like things were turning around for Cadence.


"Princess." Shining bowed deeply, closing his eyes, back stiff, and a hoof outstretched, the height of formality. "How are you this morning your grace?"

"Walking on sunshine." Cadence joked. "But Sir Armor, when were you going to tell me your sister left Canterlot?"

Shining heart skipped a beat. Years of not seeing Cadence... now that he was escorting her to Court every day, the rapport between the two of them had been slowly building back. Far from being angry that something had been held back, Cadence seemed happy, playful even. Was she flirting? It was not as obvious as Iillor's teasing, thus all the more embarrassing. "Princess, you know that as a policy I never bring up my sister without a reason."

"So you weren't going to tell me?" Cadence leaned closer, smile broadening imperceptibly.

"I did not think-" Shining finally came out of his bow and cleared his throat. "It would be a long conversation. I wouldn't start down a topic like that without invitation, princess." He straightened his uniform. "So you must have heard Twilie was elevated to l’Élève Premier. There was no ceremony to it. She was immediately assigned in the south.

Cadence and Twilight Sparkle had constantly butted heads over all kinds of things. Truthfully, Shining Armor didn't know if their rivalry was of the friendly sort, or vicious. Neither mare was completely upfront with their feelings.
"I haven't seen her since the last Summer Sun. I wish she had come seen me before she left. I probably didn't even cross her mind." Cadence said. She seemed slightly saddened now. "I think we would have gotten along better if I weren't a princess. Now Twilight is as close to me in status as a unicorn can be. I would have liked to congratulate her."

"She'd thank you." Shining said, trying to think of something nice to say.

"No she would not have." Cadence laughed a little.

No, she would not have, Shining conceded to himself. Though he hoped Cadence would move off the topic, she persisted.

"I see her sometimes. Or, saw her. When I'm between books, I look out from the tower." Cadence gestured to the passage behind her with a wing. "Twilight is unmistakable. Galloping back and forth, teleporting between different libraries all around town." Cadence looked off into the distance, slightly nibbling her lip, that thin smile returning.
Had Cadence been jealous of Twilight's freedom? Twilight had successfully worked her way free from Celestia's direct grasp, at least for a time. Twilight had done what she'd wanted, studied what she'd wanted, while Cadence had obediently stayed in her tower. 'I would have liked to congratulate her'. Now Twilight Sparkle was just as bound as Cadence was.



"Yes princess." Shining said simply. "We should proceed downstairs to the-"

“Uh, Shiny, who is this?” Cadence was looking towards Iillor. The junior princess looked... irritated?

Oh no. Iillor had been standing there the entire time.
Shining Armor was not adept in 'commoner management' around the castle. Some IHG knights, posted at the entrances and throne room, handled the responsibility of directing and handling visitors.
Iillor had come perilously close to Princess Celestia's chambers before, but she had had a reason to be there, since she had been a witness in the murder investigation. But now she was just some random pony, and Shining had allowed her to come within two meters of the junior princess of Equestria.
Gods send down plague and hellfire and demons to annihilate everything, Shining pleaded internally, to purge the sheer embarrassment. Externally Shining twitched.

Wait, had Cadence just called him... Shiny? "Uhh, princess, this is-"

“You could just ask.” Iillor puffed.

"Princess," Shining cleared his throat. "This is, uhh, Mis Illustrious Valor.” Shining stepped between the mares under the pretense of introduction. His mind raced to think of excuses for the crime of her presence. "She assisted Councilor Prosser and I in the aftermath of Fancy Pant's assassination."

Cadence was un-emotive. "I see."

"Wow, you're an alicorn princess. I didn't know Sir Armor was that important." Iillor blinked, a mischievous glint in her eye. "I told him I wouldn't get in his way. I hope I'm not in yours now, mis lady princess."



Shining was beginning to see that Cadence was not being hostile, but rather, nervous. And of course she would be, it dawned on Shining: Cadence had a lot to be worried about, having just returned to public life. Any pony could be an adversary in disguise, angling to discredit the princess and pushed her back int that tower.
Shining had to make sure Cadence knew he was on her side. “Mis Valor, this is Junior Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. She presides over the court at the moment. She is due all royal respect and deference, at all times.”

Cadence, after another moment of silence, made a fluid curtsy, spreading her wings. “A most gracious greetings. Welcome to Canterlot Castle. It is here for every pony." She rose back to full height. "Like Shining said, I am the junior princess. His friends are my friends."

Iillor nodded appreciatively, looking Cadence up and down. “Nice.”

"And you are a sage?" Cadence eyed Iillor's mark, the grey cloud."

"Do I look that way?" Iillor asked.

"Respect the princess's time and answer directly." Shining snapped, a little impressed by Iillor's gall.

Cadence lay a hoof on Shining's shoulder, making him shiver. "It's okay Sir Armor." She faced Iillor. "I hope you do not mind me saying, mis, but it is no mistake you were here to aide the royal institution after that dreadful murder. You have a..." She hesitated. "a peculiar aura, mis Valor. If you don't mind me saying..." She held back the rest of her sentence, seemingly self-conscious. "Never mind. I hope Sir Shining has not been too impatient. He gets so wrapped up in his actions."

"Princess." Shining protested weakly.

Iillor tittered. “My visit has been terribly exciting, and Sir Armor has been a paragonic gentlestallion.”

“Mis, you said you thought I was angry at you for the last week.” Shining Armor tried to say.

Iillor waggled her eyebrows. “I couldn't help it sir. You were very restrained last week, but when you let your anger show, it was ferocious."

Shining felt like he was being ganged-up on.

"Nonetheless, he protected me all throughout that dark night, from the castle to the gate." Iillor continued to Cadence.

"You disappeared before we got to the gate." Shining said sourly.


Cadence’s unreadable expression mellowed into muted concern. She mercifully digressed. "We are all trying to move on from what happened to Sir Fancy Pants. It’s really terrible what happened to him."

It was almost disconcerting how quickly ponies were adjusting to Fancy Pants's death. It made Shining Armor wonder how long things would be disrupted if he suddenly died. Not that long, probably. Then Cadence would be talking to some other pony, her expression blank, explaining how they were all trying to move on. "There's still a lot unexplained." Shining said.

Cadenza gave a nod. "In life, we must accept that there are many things that we will never understand, things that we can not control. An invisible light of destiny guides us all the same. There is no use worrying about what we can not influence even slightly. We put our faith in her."

"There are things even alicorns can't control?" Iillor asked wryly. Shining was not sure if she was being derogatory, or envious. Either way it was rude. "Maybe if it's outside your scope."

"Scope?" If Cadence picked up on Iillor's rudeness, she did not react.

"Oh, sorry, maybe that's the wrong word. Empress Celestia has the Sun. Another alicorn has the moon." Iillor said. "You must have something you're 'in charge of'."

"I do, but it is something I do not discuss, mis." Princess Cadence closed her eyes. "The 'scope' of me has caused many problems for many ponies. They can not help themselves. It's very unfortunate." Her voice wavered with controlled emotion. She opened her eyes again, alighting them on Shining. "Sir Armor, it is time we go down to the throne room."

Shining Armor nodded. "This way princess." He gave Iillor a cool look. "You'll hold to your word, right?"

"I'm out of your way, cap." Iillor gave a lackadaisical salute and stepped backwards out of his way.

There was still something very off about that mare. And what had she said about a moon alicorn? Nonetheless, Shining had his duties, and he led Princess Cadenza back down through the keep.


"We put out faith in her."

Celestia's ear perked at that sentence, spoken far below in the castle keep. Up on the watchtower, it would have been inaudible even without the gusts of wind sweeping off the Mountain that morning; tussling Celestia's etherial mane and tail. But she felt that declaration of faith. The sun princess was the sun princess, after all.

Cadenza was out of her tower again.

Celestia could not help but feel disappointed, and deeper down, annoyed. "What bird, plant, lizard, or pony who does not fulfill their purpose, can bear it to their own ends." She said to herself. "What alicorn does not obey, becomes the most accursed under heaven. This we know only too well."
But like Cadence's words could not really be heard on the tower, Celestia could not be heard down in the castle. The ominous warning went unheard but by the wind gusts.

The court had sent ponies to ask Celestia, under a guise of concern, whether Cadenza was actually allowed out of her tower. Celestia ignored them. The southern skies were more important than her reply.
However that did not mean she didn't have an answer. Celestia knew the time was not right. Cadence had no reason to go back among the Equestrians yet: The junior princess was not a pony anymore, she was an alicorn.
Celestia was counting on Cadence realizing the truth herself, and going back to her tower. Eventually, truth came for all creatures.

" 'Faith'." Celestia mulled. "That poor girl."
Under different circumstances, it would have been wise for Celestia to go down and set everything straight. Alas the southern skies were just too important to be left to their own devices, and Celestia did not take her eyes from them for even a moment.
For if she did, the visions would appear again. The alicorn soul, reduced to that useless, obsessive concern at the horrizon, kept the lies out of Celestia's head.


Marching down the hallway to the throne room with the junior princess in tow, Shining Armor was filled with a sudden sense of unease. Some sense was telling him something was wrong, but he could not pinpoint what.
He was right outside the throne room when he realized it was because it was silent: There was none of the laughing, yelling, and jostling echoing out into the rest of the castle from the Court.

At that moment, a IHG knight galloped out of the throne room. "Sir- Armor!" He was not that loud, but in the silence his panicked stutters were like shouts.

Shining nodded, nudging the knight aside. Whatever the situation was, his training had surely prepared him. He lifted his hoof to his sword and turned the corner. He would not be found lacking a second time.


As it turned out Shining would be found lacking a second time.
The throne room was so eerily still that one could think the whole Court had been petrified. When he saw what was going on at the front of the room, Shining just about froze too. Poor Shining’s heart was suffering terribly for all the excitement and surprises lately.

Right in the center of the room, and the first pony Shining's eyes were drawn to, was his mother. Twilight Velvet was standing directly in front of the sun princess's throne. Velvet saw Shining at the same moment, their eyes locking. She grinned.
Behind Velvet, the would-be lord of Canterlot, Seacrest Blackhorn was leaning on the arm of the throne. He was, thankfully for his own sake, not stupid enough to actually sit on the throne. Next to the Blackhorn, Velvet's new lackies Sel Lech Sabonord and Blueblood completed the entourage of intruders.


"Lady Velvet?" Princess Cadence sounded cheerful but confused. The two mares had gotten along well, better than Cadence and the junior Twilight.

"Woah, is this a coup?" Iillor guffawed.

"It's not a coup." Shining growled, stalking up the columnated throne room.

Velvet's intended audience had arrived, so the launched into her speech, sermonizing loud enough for the whole room to hear.
“The disintegration of imperial and civic institutions over the past month has necessitated the informal institutional appanages, the noble clubs and cliques, to step forward. The upcoming Estates meeting, on the eve of the Summer Sun, will prove the most consequential in centuries. Without decisive imperial leadership, what other choice do we have?" Velvet intoned. "It should be obvious to everypony that the equestrian state has been all but usurped by a small clique of self-serving bureaucrats, who are thwarting Princess Celestia's orders at every turn. They are even manipulating the junior princess. It is up to the Estates to use their priviledges, bestowed by Celestia I upon the unification, to set things right."

Nevermind, it was a coup.

"This starts by showing OUR decisiveness BEFORE the Estates. That is why the Black Horn Council is calling on all noble cliques and organizations to coordinate for civil peace, Canterlot prosperity, and Equestria-wide guidance. Every Speaker of the Estates who aide us sends a clear message to the greedy eunuchs who have never faced scrutiny by any noble council, sejm, duma, or Estates. That way we can prevent the disorder and murders which the imperial administration have let happen with impunity and regularity." Velvet let out an angry snort. "And we will get back at the presumptuous tyrants who oppress the decent and noble ponies of Equestria, whose only crime was pointing out where the administration has failed over and over."


Wait, was it a coup? Maybe not? Shining had no idea what Twilight Velvet's intentions were. It sounded like a speech meant to be given from in front of the castle, not from within it. Weren't her audience the same 'greedy administrators' she was agitating against?
The Court apparently did see it that way. They were in rapt attention, nodding along to her words.

Shining stoped short of the dais, staying a dozen meters away from Velvet. Her eyes would return to him every so often as she gave the speech, smirking a bit each time. And Shining, much to his own shame, could not bring himself to interrupt his mother, even as burning indignation welled up in him. How dare that Blackhorn pretender so much as gaze upon Celestia's throne! Twilight Velvet and her allies were playing a deadly game now. Clearly though, there was a truth to her accusations and promises which resonated with the crowd, even if it should have been anathema.


"The abuses and intrusions, the hubris and arrogance, and other sins of the administration has to be answered. Since nopony else has stepped up, we have to. There is just no other choice. I'm sure each and every one of you has been ready to do the same, but feared you were alone, vulnerable to being singled-out and silenced by the cretins manipulating everything." Velvet said. "If we did not have our rallying point, Lord Blackhorn, it would have been the same for Sir Sel Lech, Sir Blueblood, and myself. I can confidently say I will not be going back to mewling submission to tyrants who, I repeat, have never faced review from any noble sejm or Estates. It should be clear to all how much safer Canterlot has become of even just a few of us standing up for ourselves."



Shining Armor looked back at the mares following him. Iillor looked delighted, taking the entertainment for what it was. Cadence, to Shining's heartbreak, still looked confused, but now appeared hurt as well. There was no telling how the junior princess must have been absorbing the scathing denunciation of the empire she was part-and-parcel to. Did Cadence feel like she had let somepony down?
Shining took a deep breath. He had to do what he had to do. "That's enough Lady Velvet."


Since everypony else was silent, Shining Armor's firm voice echoed as if off the throne itself.
Twilight Velvet let her next sentence die in her throat. She straightened up, rubbed something at the edge of her eye, and locked eyes with Shining again. "Finally, our royalty has come to address our petitioning!" She said. She paused, waiting for another of her entourage to chime in.

Behind Velvet, Seacrest Blackhorn stiffened and took his hoof off the throne, deeming the transgression too dangerous now. "That is very good." He nodded, his strong accent startling some of the ponies. "It just proves-" He paused, trying to remember his lines. "proves we are the right ponies to represent Canterlot."



Cadence strode forward until she was even with Shining. "Sir Armor..." She whispered, still uncertain.

"You are the princess, my lady. Do as you should." Shining whispered back urgently.


Cadence kept walking forward, directly at the throne. For a moment it seemed like Velvet would not get out of the way, until Cadence was only a few paces away: Cadence gave a short, curious nod to Velvet, which Velvet returned before stepping to the side.

Shining did not let go of his breath until Princess Cadenza had seated herself on the throne, and two IHG guards at the sides of the room moved to flank her.
So was the 'coup' averted?


"Lady Velvet, it is customary to present petitions in writing in accompaniment of verbal address." Cadence said in a clipped and formal tone.

"It is already submitted, my princess." Velvet said, her grin never faltering. "And begging your pardon, but the Lord Blackhorn here was the petitioner, not I."

Cadence only spared a single glance to the stallion. "Thank you, Lady Velvet. As always, it is good to see you. If only we had more time."

"I understand, princess. Until next time." Velvet nodded. She turned in place and trotted for the exit, her underlings hurrying to catch up with her.




The other pony hurrying to catch up with Twilight Velvet was her son. Shining followed her in silence until they were a hundred meters away from the doors to the throne room.

"Shining, good morning." Velvet spoke first, stopped in place, and slowly turning back towards him. "You haven't visited your father or I once since that night, Shiny. You know that doesn't make either of us feel very good."

Shining was not interested in her right away. "You." He pointed at Seacrest Blackhorn. "Hold out that hoof of yours." He drew his sword partway out of its sheath.

"My word!" Seacrest croaked, cringing away.

Sel Lech Sabonord stepped between Shining and his quarry. "Lord Armor, I offer my head in place of my lord prince's hoof. I know ponies have suffered worse for lesser offense, but I beg you let it satisfy the royal honor."

Velvet rolled her eyes. "Shining Armor put that toy away if you aren't going to use it."

"Do you think the gesture is lost on these stallions?" Shining asked sharply. He eyed Blueblood, who had not spoken yet. "Not going to offer your head? It's been a few years since I have seen you at court."

"You heard her ladyship's manifesto, sir. Court is passée now. Extra-legal, extra-judicial vigilantism is the cause célèbre." Blueblood said sardonically. "Try it out. If you kill us now, you would be saving yourself a lot of trouble later. It would be very comical if we were thwarted because a sexually frustrated knight took out his frustration on us."

"Don't talk that way about my son." Velvet slapped Blueblood on the back of his head.

"OWCH." Blueblood hissed.


It was very comical, but not in the way Blueblood described. "I find your opportunism dishonorable, my lady. My captain, my princesses, and the other advisors were absent."

Since Shining Armor was no longer after his hoof, Seacrest Blackhorn relaxed. "That is the point, doigt."

"His lordship means to say; The lapse you see as an 'opportunity' is just the kind of imperial degeneration we are calling out. Failed institutions and dilapidated administration serves nopony but malfeasant actors." Sel Lech said.

It was all bullshit. "Save it for the braindead nobles and politicians." Shining sighed. "Hello, by the way, Sel. I hope courtier to her ladyship here is working out better than to my uncle Flux."

"I am content, Sir Armor, in present service to Lord Blackhorn." Sel Lech corrected.



Shining wasn't sure what he was hoping to accomplish, besides making an ass of himself berating these unflappable ponies who had their story straight. They had come more prepared than he had. "I'll reiterate. What you just did to Princess Cadenza was shameful. Dishonorable and shameful. You have no idea how much of a struggle it's been to bring her back up to speed on Court life, and acclimate those wretched court ponies to her."

"She would be on our side if she understood our goal." Velvet said a dark glower overtaking her expression. "You assume, brashly, that she shares your feelings. You think you have to protect her, coddle her, keep away all the bad ponies. You're not her mom, Shiny. You're nopony's mom."

Strange metaphors aside, Shining was all too eager to get into an emotional scrap with Twilight Velvet. "I wasn't there for her last time, and she has lost years and years of her life for it. I won't make that mistake again. I won't abandon her to anypony's schemes."

"Scheme? Shiny, we are just four ponies who delivered a petition." Velvet said.

"You can't fool me." Shining said. "You- You've been up to something since the night of Fancy Pants's death. When you killed those mares-"

"What am I up to? If I can't fool you, tell me, what secrets lie behind the veil?" Velvet demanded, the dark glower accentuated by a piercing stare. "What is my end goal?"


Shining Armor felt a chill as his bluff was called. He was not actually sure that the stunt in the throne room represented anything other than a theatrical political play.
Shining would have to guess something, tug at a wire only faintly visibly, and bluff again to see if Velvet reacted more than she should have.
"When we searched through Fancy Pants's documents after his death, we found a document that promised our family a sizable fraction of the landed titles seized from traitors you catch red-hooved."

That must have been news to Blueblood and Sel Lech, as they both acted surprised. Twilight Velvet only smirked. "So he actually wrote it out. The fool. Since no vizier has replaced him, that's still legally binding, you know."

Shining nodded. "You and Fancy Pants... were in a secret pact against the rival cliques in the Imperial Council and Court. You were going to use this Blackhorn to tempt out any traitors in Canterlot, while Fancy Pants plotted against the IHG and petty nobles. You killed the murderer mares, agents of the rival clique, to keep the pact from going public in discovery."


Velvet made a sour face. Shining felt his heart flutter, imagining for brief second that he had hit at something true! But Velvet began to shiver, barely suppressing her delight; Her tensed expression broke and she laughed openly. "Ha ha ha! Shiny dear, that is so stupid. Ha ha ha!" She shook her head and wiped a tear from the edge of her eye. "Oh, ho ho! Shiny, you have obviously mixed some real facts with conjecture and paranoia borne out of slights and rivalries of your own. That was not even a quarter true. You clearly don't understand as much as you think."

Shining felt deflated. He'd missed.

"Guess again? How about... I was protecting that throne from you, Shining." Velvet said. "You would have escorted dear Cadence all the way to the top, and not let go of her hoof until that pink tuchus was on the seat. To all eyes, you're the power-hungry one, Shiny, cozying up to royalty." She was really digging it in. "Or perhaps... I really was going to launch a coup right there. I saw you thinking it. I stopped because you came in at juuust the right time." She shook her head, pityingly. "Pick a theory that makes you feel good, Shiny. That is what everypony else does. Pick a worldview, a myopic window on the truth, and cling on until nothing else makes sense except through that little window."

"I make one wrong guess, and that makes me a moron or something?" Shining spat. "My lady, I deserve more respect than this. I sat through your dinner."

"You left halfway, Shiny. Barely counts." Velvet chuckled. She straightened up. "But I will respect you, if that's what my boy wants."



“Did you kill Fancy Pants?” He asked.

“No. I thought I had, but come to find out I had nothing to do with it.” Velvet shook her head. “And neither did those mares you were after.”

That froze Shining Armor’s blood cold. “Then the mares you killed were both innocent.”

“Oh no, they were simply not the ponies who killed him. They were something equally troublesome: witnesses.” Velvet said simply. "You understand, right Shiny? Some things are not meant to be seen. Some sights are not meant to be spread. Some ideas are best left dead and unrepeated."

Something so terrible had happened that Twilight Velvet found it to be an acceptable alternative to vaporize the witnesses, rather than let the truth out.


"Why start believing her now, Sir Armor?" Iillor said. Wait, Iillor? Shining turned to face the earth mare, standing beside him. How long had she been there?

"I don't know why I would start believing her." Shining admitted. Because Velvet had him beat, was why. "I don't lose anything by listening to ponies. I trust my ability to sort it out later."

"Not off to a good start Shiny. You're really not." Twilight Velvet shifted her gaze from her son to the black-furred mare beside him, then back. "I would love to talk more. You should meet me for lunch some time. We both have busy lives now, so it could be tricky to schedule, but you should try to make up for the weeks you've been avoiding us."

"I do not know if I will have the time since I have to hone my sorting senses. By the time we do have lunch, I will have seen behind the curtain." Shining said, half-ironically, half-bitterly. He didn't want to cow to his mother's word, but she still had him beat. "There is no use talking more before that. Like my friend here says, there's no credibility to what you're saying."

Iillor shook her head. "That's not exactly what I said."


"Fine. If you don't want to talk with me, at least visit your father." Twilight Velvet said, digressing slightly. "If you want to know more, talk things over with Night Light." She paused, glancing to the floor. Dwelling on her imprisoned husband was uncomfortable for her. “Your father is understanding beyond what you can understand, Shiny. He’s always been there for us, and in this also. If you actually want to see behind the curtain-"

"Hey, I'll visit father, but for myself, not you. When I see that he's okay, and I've done everything I can for him, only then will I start asking him about your nonsense." Shining said sharply. "I half expect he'll tell that there's no mystery at all, and everything is as it seems: You're just being greedy and power-hungry."



Velvet laughed slightly, but the uncomfortable topic still weighed-down her attitude. "An un-clever pony may accept that explanation out of simple convenience."

"No chance of that with me. I relish making life harder for myself." Shining said, self-pitying. "My captain wants me to arrest you. At the very least you should be detained and your documents investigated for clues in the Fancy Pants case. The club you're putting together is dubiously legal. At best, you're well-intentioned mavericks. Most likely you're borderline traitorous power-grabbers. Worst case..." He sighed. "But here I am chatting with you rather than doing my duty and putting a stop to this. I'm letting the princess down."

"You're inaction betrays your decadance." Seacrest chimed in.

"Not now, my lord." Sel Lech shushed the other stallion, more aware that it was not the time to interrupt the mother-son summit.

"My idiot liege has a point Shining: She who can not enforce or reward loyalty, can not possibly command loyalty.” Velvet pointed out. "Not even god or Celestia can break that rule. You have been pretending to high station the last week, holding yourself above the Court and Council. But who actually has your back, and is on your side? If you pushed the envelope, would you be standing alone against all the privilege and institutions you have been soaring above? It is not obvious even a single knight would support you."


It was an abrupt, provocative challenge. Shining was almost in awe of her gall. Twilight Velvet could be implying several things and they were all borderline treasonous.
Shining suddenly felt claustrophobic. If anypony was watching or listening, and interpreted his reply wrong, there could be big trouble. Cadence was just a room away... What would happen to her if he mired himself in a problem of his own creation?
"I don't need anypony 'on my side'. I do not have my own side. I am a servant of the princess and the empire."

"He's got more ego than he lets on." Blueblood chuckled to himself.

"If you think that is the neutral, safe position to have, Shiny, you are not wrong. However ponies around you will absolutely draw distinctions between themselves and a colt scout like you: They will not be on your side, even if you think they are through common service to the princess." Velvet said. "The final test will come when a crisis shatters all the previous equilibria. Then no ties of honor, duty, social contract, and empire will protect you. Only faithful allies and your own skill."

"That is a dire, irrelevant point." Shining said. His words came out croaking even as he tried to brush her off. If she was trying to intimidate him, she was succeeding. Either she was threatening to do something very drastic, or had more insight into the state of the world than he did. Both of those were more likely that Shining cared to admit. The past month had drastically changed his opinion about his mother, as an overbearing pony who chaffed him personally, to somepony who actually posed a threat.
A threat to who?
"At some later date, hopefully much later, I might find your words useful. Right now they're just a distraction from my duties. Sadly, I judge that distracting me is equally likely to be your goal as genuinely warning me." Shining cleared his throat. "Somepony like Councilor Prosser might be more willing to entertain your philosophizing."


Velvet let out a small frustrated sigh. "That is why I don't want to talk to him. He is too interested in ideas like mine. The councilor is, if I may be so brash, a harlot for foolish ideas." She paused, her self-certainty waining in a fit of introspection. Velvet, perhaps in the first time that Shining could ever remember, put on an earnest face for him. He could actually view her as a pony, and not so much a force of antagonism. "I want you to understand and agree because I know you will be the most intransigent of any of all, even more than the princesses. I want you to yearn for the same world I yearn for, son."

But Velvet's attempt at being familiar was as unnerving as her threats. Shining had no idea what she was talking about. "I have your lunch invitation. We have nothing else to talk about right now." He took a measured step backwards. "My lady, I'm sure the princess appreciates your petition, and this imperium will see it assessed. Her grace and the Court needs me now.


Shining Armor turned and trotted back up the hall towards the throne room.


Iillor watched Shining's retreat out of the corner of her eye. "Damn, what an uptight, proper kid. You either did something right, or something very wrong to get him to turn out that way."

Without Shining there, Velvet could turned her attention to Iillor. "You do not look much older than my son, Mis. What would you know about child-rearing?" Velvet asked cautiously.

Iillor shrugged. "I don't wanna get into it."


The three other stallions, Blueblood, Sel Lech and Seacrest, traded glances. "Do we know this mare?" Seacrest asked. He cleared his throat. "I say, Lady Velvet, who is this charming mare?"

"I don't know." Velvet narrowed her eyes. "Say, mis, have you ever been on the city walls, over the main gate?"

"Only on very particular nights." Iillor shrugged.

"I see." Velvet nodded. "And mis, though I see you an earth pony, you look like the type to have some skill with magic. Is this too presumptuous?"

"I look the type? Nopony's told me that." Iillor giggled with a playful bashfulness.


"Who is this broad?" Blueblood demanded, eyeing Iillor up and down.

"I'm just a country girl looking for a good time." Iillor said, appraising Blueblood back. "You're not it." She turned to Sel Lech and Seacrest. "Ehh, you're not it either." Finally she matched gazes with Velvet. "Ohh, but if I'm ever bored, I'd sure like to 'yearn for your world'. I have a history with older mares."

"Good grief, how shameless. Even I'm more subtle than that." Velvet arched a brow. "I will have time for you later, mis. It is not that I'm not interested. On the contrary. Only, now that we have met in person, I have some feeling to sort through."

"Don't we all." Iillor agreed. "We might see each other at lunch some time. Toodles."
She followed Shining's tracks back to the throne room.



"Did that go according to plan? I am confused." Sel Lech looked between Twilight Velvet and Seacrest Blackhorn.

"It has all gone very very well. Everypony has been told what they need to be told." Velvet said, though she did not seem certain.

"Again, who is that broad. Is she... dangerous?" Blueblood demanded.

"You should act more in accordance to conduct becoming of a noble servant of Canterlot." Seacrest Blackhorn sniffed. "N'est pas, Lady Velvet?"

Blueblood wrinkled his nose in distaste. "Fight your battles yourself you faker." He grumbled under his breath.


"Come now. We have the rest of the day to take care of." Velvet said. "Spend too long in a place like Canterlot Castle and your brain will be poisoned. You will start to think like they do."


Directly below the throne room, beneath the ground floor of the castle, and on a branch hallway from the vaunted trophy room, lay the castle dungeon. It was a strange, maze-like place, older than the rest of the structure above, largely dating to before the unification when the Blackhorn princess still ruled Canterlot. As dungeons went it was not too harsh on the prisoners: The cells were well-enough accommodated, for any pony worthy of being locked away by an empresses had better not die of neglect.

Night Light had been spending the bleary hours with some books. Reading by firefly lantern was probably bad for his eyes, but the middle-aged stallion had nothing else to do. "The basis of the social nationalist position is irrationalism... an aberrant ideology developed in opposition to social communalism rooted in the same rationalism as bourgeois society and ideology." He took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. He had been trying to work through a pamphlet on politics, the kind of thing his wife would read and would pester him to read too. At first he thought it was lucky the dungeon guards had offered it to him, but he quickly realized it was because nopony else wanted it. "This stuff is simply impenetrable to me."


"Please keep reading." A sickly voice from the darkness outside his cell whispered. Night Light had heard it before, the prisoner across from him. "I like when you read out loud. I would like for you to. In exchange, I'll keep watch while you sleep. I'll alert you if they come to kill you while you're sleeping."

Shining peered over the top of his book, trying to catch the glint of eyes or teeth in the dark, anything to suggest a pony shape. "I appreciate the offer sir, though I fear to go hoarse."

"Take your time my lord. We are not in a rush. Heh heh heh." The sickly voice said. "But I wish to hear and know what my friends up above are saying, and what rationalism and anti-rationalism is. I should like to know what a social communalism is. Heh heh heh. Pick up any time you wish. We are not going anywhere."

Night Light put in his bookmark and shuttered the firefly lantern. Unfortunately he suspected the other prisoner could still spy on him, even not longer illuminated by the lantern.
There was only so much a decent bed and sufficient reading material could do to make a stallion feel more comfortable.


Twilight peered through the window of the village bakery. It was slightly larger than the other cottages, with the storefront and ovens taking up the lower floor.
"Empty." Twilight took a step back.

The upper floor, Twilight had been told, was Pinkie Pie's residence. Twilight had thought she had seen movement from the windows but now she was not sure.

“Mis Pie!” Twilight called up to the window. "It's me, Twilight Sparkle. I wanted to talk."

But there was no reply.
Impatient and unwilling to be ignored, Twilight tried the bakery door. It was unlocked, so Twilight strolled inside.

"Mis Pinkie Pie, are you there?” Twilight yelled up the stairs of the bakery. “Mis Pie, I need to talk to you.” Thinking nothing of entering without invitation, Twilight climbed the stairs. "I'm coming up, okay?"


Pausing at the top of the stairs, Twilight waited and listened. This time she heard a muted thump and scrapes coming from nearby, from behind a door. As Twilight approached the door, she heard more sounds, whispers and grunts of effort.

"Ignoring me?" Twilight muttered to herself, annoyed. "Mis Pinkie Pie!" She rapped on the door.


The door immediately swung open. Pinkie Pie stepped into the threshold, intruding on Twilight's personal space. Twilight felt a bit threatened, despite Pinkie having a broad smile on her face.

"Oh heya Twilight!" Pinkie said ecstatically. “Did you come to see me?”


"Naturally, Mis Pie. I don't know what other reason I'd have for being here." Twilight eyed the room behind Pinkie. It was a bedroom, identifiable as Pinkie's for all the colorful decorations nailed to the walls and roof. Curiously, there was a birdcage, half-covered by a cloth sheet, pushed into the corner. There were no pet supplies around, so it was likely empty.
"Bedtime already?" Twilight asked, nodding towards the cage.

Pinkie blinked, not getting the joke.

"When you cover a bird, it thinks it's nighttime and goes to sleep." Twilight explained. "Oh never mind." She cleared her throat. "Anyhow, I wanted to talk about some things and-"

"Terrific, I love talking! Let's sit downstairs where there's some more space." Pinkie said. She shuffled forward, practically forcing Twilight back, then shut her door behind her.


Twilight let Pinkie lead her back downstairs to the storefront, where they sat opposite each other in front of the window. "Nice bakery."

"Thanks. Nice eyes, for noticing how nice my bakery is." Pinkie Pie giggled. "Having a good day Mis Lady Twilight?"

"It's been alright." Twilight shrugged. "Yours?"


“Great-er-iffic!” Pinkie said. “I would be amaz-er-iffic, but I just got some bad news. Always a downer, ya know."

“Bad news?" Twilight asked.

"A friend of mine in Canterlot got hurt." Pinkie Pie said, her cheerful disposition briefly flagging. "You wouldn't know them."


Twilight was getting mixed messages; Pinkie had brought the hurt friend, up, but was subtly discouraging Twilight from asking more. "You would be surprised. I know all sorts of ponies. After all I've talked to nopony but commoners here in Ponyville."


"Okey, well, my friend was..." Pinkie glanced out the window, sticking out her tongue as she thought of the right words. "an entertainer like me."

"I'll admit I never got to know any entertainers in Canterlot. My uncle retained his own private orchestra, so he could one-up the other lords who have a chamber quartet, you know. I don't know if I'd even recognize any of them on the street." Twilight said, smiling guiltily.

"Unfortunately we can't befriend everypony, and believe me I've tried." Pinkie said. "I barely got to know a thousand ponies before I left Canterlot. That's like, less than one percent of the pony-pulation." Pinkie gulped at the magnitude of it all. "A- and there's millions of ponies in Equestria! And a thousand-million creatures across the world!" She leaned on the table. "Thats. So. Many. Friends."

"It sure is." Twilight agreed. However the direction of the conversation had wandered into a topic Twilight had wanted to discuss anyway. "But Canterlot is a start, I suppose. Did you live there long?"


“Nope! I didn’t stay there too long, just a year. Even though I just said I had a thousand friends, I really only had a few like, close close Canterlot friends, you know.” Pinkie’s expression darkened. “Now I might just have one.”

“Oh. You have my condolences.” Was all Twilight could think to say. Pinkie Pie was a quirky pony, maybe even a bit crazy, but as far as Twilight knew she wasn't holding personal secrets to the degree of the other Ponyvillians. "I know I haven't know you long-"

"I don't need to talk about it, and I don't wanna get super mopey-dopey about it." Pinkie shrugged. "I'm a little sad yeah..." She stared into the distance vacantly. Then, she snapped her attention back to Twilight. "Have something else you wanted to talk about?"


"Yes, a couple things." Twilight cleared her throat. "First, Applejack said you told her-"

"Sorry, sorry, I knew I shouldn't have." Pinkie apologized quickly. "Even though you didn't say to keep it a secret, and since you told Rarity-"

"Hold on there, I didn't tell Rarity anything." Twilight said.

Pinkie Pie blinked. "Oh. I overheard her telling Fluttershy you were at the forest."

"Well she didn't hear it from me." Twilight said. The mares were still acting out their petty rivalries. "Though that brings me to my next question. I know what Applejack's deal with Rarity is. I don't know what yours is."

"Mine?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight nodded. "Yes. Why did you side with Applejack against Rarity? You tip-toe around saying why you dislike her, like it's some big taboo or something."


Pinkie shrugged her shoulders. She seemed nervous. "I can't be friends with everypony."

Since Pinkie wasn't going to be forthcoming, Twilight had to jump directly into theories. "Does Rarity have a past in Canterlot that nopony else knows about? Is that it? Or, did she do something to Applejack's brother that only you know?"

"Huh? No!" Pinkie balked, realizing what Twilight was doing. "You think... there's something about Rarity I don't like?"


"Come on, Pinkie Pie!" Twilight fumed. "Not you too!"

Pinkie smiled apppolegetically.

"You, by which I mean all of you Ponyvillians, are keeping something from me. It's not just the brother buisness." Twilight insisted. "I bet it has something to do with the missing mayor."

"Nope, nothing to do with him." Pinkie said. "I could see how you would think that, but it was a total coincidence he left right before you got here."

"Why should I believe you?" Twilight demanded.

"Because..." Pinkie hesitated. "I promise."

"You promise. Brilliant." Twilight sighed. At the very least Pinkie had admitted that something was amiss, and it was not just Twilight imagination.
Maybe she could tie some ends together. "Does it have to do with the Everfree Forest?"


"I'll play twenty questions with you about any other topic. I love twnty questions." Pinkie Pie said. "But not this topic, err-uh. I'm sorry Lady Twilight, but, well, it's a Ponyville thing."

Still no luck then. "Okay so is there some kind of threshold I have to cross? Living here for a year, or two years?" Twilight pressed.

Pinkie shrugged. "You'll know. Pinkie promise."

"Another promise I don't know what to do with." Twilight made a sour face.
Twilight had chosen to grill Pinkie Pie, rather than Rarity, Applejack, or Fluttershy, on the calculation Pinkie was the least likely to get too defensive. Despite Twilight's burning curiosity (and the vague danger she felt from the mystery) she still needed the mares for the Summer Sun Fair.
"Fine. It's fine." She shifted in her chair. "Fair warning, but I'm going to find out before you want me to. I have the library and the town hall to sift through."

Pinkie snorted. "Then that's how you'll know you're past the threshold."

Circular logic. "I guess so." Twilight said. "Then my last question, which I alluded to before: The Everfree. I have to know everything about it, in case there is a danger to the fair."

"Don't go in the forest and everything will be fine." Pinkie said in a sing-song voice.

"Uhh, I have to know more than that." Twilight insisted.

"Don't go in the forest and everything will be fine." Pinkie said, repeating her jaunty song. She turned serious. "You got really lucky last time. Like, it's not even funny Twilight."

"Have ponies died in the forest?" Twilight asked.


Pinkie made a face. "Like it's... more complicated than that. Please please please don't go in there."

On that issue, Applejack, Pinkie, and Rarity, and Fluttershy all agreed. It was still unclear to Twilight if the forest was connected to the Ponyville secret. Maybe Pinkie didn't even know.
What did that mean for her plans? Twilight wasn't sure yet about that either. Once again, dealing with ponies was the most difficult part.



"Okay, nevermind all the questions." Twilight leaned back in her chair. "This is a bakery, right? Mis Pie, I would like to try some of the baked goods here."

Pinkie Pie jumped to her hooves in excitement. "OhMyGosh, I thought you'd never ask! I have a whole assortment of pastries you'd have died without trying, and that would've been the biggest tragedy ever!" She scurried behind the counter and began piling various treats on a plate. "I mean, second to the Rainboom incident, but still!"

"Pastries so good that missing out on them rivals the Rainboom? Good thing we're averting disaster." Twilight joked back.
As anticipated, Pinkie wouldn't let the demands and questions get in the way of everything else, especially not food and revelry.


Twilight Velvet and her entourage returned back to the Chateau la Garde shortly before dark. It had been a long day of scheming, conniving, and plotting- Though really, it had been a lot of talking, like Velvet had in the throne room, to try to awe over this or that clique of Canterlot noble. Flattering the egos of thankless aristocrats was tedious, unrewarding work.

Velvet had borne their patronization and scorn for her entire life. She thought once she married Night Light, and received the privilege of being 'Lady' Velvet, perhaps she would be accepted. Alas no. She thought once her daughter was landed, and there was a castle to the family's name, they would be respected. Alas no.
The ancient and decedent Canterlot Nobility would never forgive Velvet for being born a minor noble, and for stealing an eligible bachelor that could have gone to somepony of higher station.
Such was the fulcrum of using Seacrest Blackhorn. No dynasty name commanded greater respect in the annals of Canterlot history.

And for Velvet, respect would eventually come. She was not in a rush. It was not as though respect was the ends for which she strove. It was a tool to be leveraged.


"Lost in thought?" Blueblood asked.

Velvet stirred in her chair at the Chateau dining table. "Yes." Velvet cleared her throat and took a sip of water. "I was just thinking about what a bitch you are. Somepony with more pride wouldn't be sitting where you are."

"So, you were thinking of pride then." Blueblood said. "I do have pride, Lady Velvet. I'm adaptable. I'm a survivor. There's no shame in not getting killed."

"Getting killed?" Velvet repeated.

Blueblood sighed. He still had not gotten Velvet to admit to having Deeper Frie Fellowship murdered. It hardly mattered now. "Getting excoriated. Does that suit you better? If I stand up to you, or don't, you will still mock me." He took a sip of wine. "You just don't seem to like me."


With the sun going down, the maid was going around the greathall lighting candles. At the head of the table, Seacrest Blackhorn was passed out. Sel Lech quietly ate his dinner beside the would-be prince.

Velvet leaned back in her seat. "Yes, It's true. I judge you ill, sir. You have the personality of a huckster and a hack. You lack the redeeming qualities of competence or ambition to compliment your self-concerned villainy."

"That is very hurtful." Blueblood said flatly. He had gotten somewhat numb to her scorn.

"You had a leading position in the Black Horn Council for years, and have nothing to show for it." Velvet continued. "Look around you, and see how I leapt at fate's throat when such an opportunity fell into my lap. And consider the case of our late friend Fancy Pants, a subtle villain in his own right, who negotiated his way into the viziership. Or consider Sel Lech over there, who is at least grateful for what he has."

"Respectfully, your examples don't match up." Blueblood said. "Hey, it's fine. I can't say I like you either, Lady Velvet, even though I'll readily compliment the ambition and competence you accuse me of lacking."

"You think that makes you the bigger pony?" Velvet scoffed. "To round back to your first question, it is not only pride I was thinking about, but relative pride. You were a mere parasite on the ruling class of Canterlot. Again I will rouse Fancy Pants's memory, and how he ascended past the nobles with imperial position."

"When you gave the speeches today, you hid your distain very well. There, another compliment. I still hold out hope for getting one in return one day." Blueblood said. "So, go on then. Tell me what you want to do to the Canterlot nobility, in every visceral detail."


Velvet stood up. "You've taken up enough of my time. I have buisness to attend to." She waved to the maid, and they left the greathall together, heading towards the stairwell into the chateau's basement levels.


"Geez." Blueblood. Picked at his food a bit more, but he was not hungry.
Getting bored, Blueblood went over to the head of the table.
"Wine-drunk again I see." Blueblood patted the sleeping Seacrest Blackhorn on the back. "The stuff they have in Prancia must be piss."

"Mind your vulgarity please sir." Sel Lech said.

Blueblood chuckled. "Her ladyship complimented you just now: You're a dog who is properly thankful for the scraps he gets."

"She wouldn't have phrased it that way." Sel Lech protested. "Besides these are hardly scraps. I thought the salad was very god tonight."


"Whatever." Blueblood huffed. Sel was no fun. "Have you seen Aurthora? We were going to go to a theater play or something tonight, but she takes this lackey work for Velvet seriously now."

"Sadly I have not see Lady Aurthora today." Sel Lech apologized. "May I ask, what play you will be attending? Do you think it is something the lordship or I would like?"

Blueblood deemed it unlikely the sleeping Blackhorn could pay attention to a play in his state. "It's something bawdy, nothing a colt-scout like you would appreciate." He trotted towards the exit. "Besides, I don't take my work home with me. You should set some limits too, before this stupid conspiracy becomes your whole life and personality. Gods sake, Sabonord, you're a noblepony, not a nanny."

"I will keep that in mind Sir Blackhorn. See you tomorrow." Sel Lech waved goodbye and returned to his salad.


The darkening evening was turning the mountain glades south of Canterlot into gloomy, haunting places. The sun had long since set behind the spine of the mountains, and the light from the sky very quickly dwindled away.
The moon was a fair substitute though, its crisp silver light pouring through the gaps in the conifers.

Even better than the moon was Lyra's little campfire, made from twigs and pine nettles. She was not a skilled camper by any means, and she felt a modicum of pride that this fire at the glade's edge was lasting longer than her previous week of attempts.
Yet for all its light and warmth, Lyra still felt cold.


Indicated for Fancy Pants's murder, Lyra knew she had no hope finding shelter in any civilized place in Equestria, at least nowhere near Canterlot. Those mountains around Canterlot, the Ramble, as it was sometimes know, was the traditional dividing line between eastern and western Equestria. Lyra truly felt that, navigating through the sparse valleys and cliffs, where in places the land would fall away thousands of meters in both directions.
Lyra had struggled day by day along the remote mountain trails, not picking a side of the Ramble yet: To go east or west, and make a break for the coasts so she could escape to life outside of Equestria.

Lyra absently toyed with her fire, throwing a few more twigs in. "Low on water... I'm going to have to find a spring at lower elevation." That meant potentially being spotted. Lyra knew she was probably being too cautious- what were the chances she came across a random rural pony, what further chance that pony knew the news from Canterlot? But considering the insane things which had happened with the shapeshifter, Lyra was probably never going to let her guard down for the rest of her life.

Still, she had lived. She had gotten away like she had promised she would. It didn't feel like a victory. The last time she had seen Pon-3 and Octavia they were fighting for their lives. They were probably dead, or captured and soon to be dead.
So Lyra's mood turned listless and muddied, self-pitying and flaring into useless anger. She was alone in the mountains, alive, and regretting it.

What was ahead for her? It had been a long time since Lyra had possessed something akin to independence. It was overwhelming. She was barely managing to motivate herself to forage.


Who could she listen to anymore? Who's orders could she find solace in?

Fancy Pants- dead
Phyte- would never let her return
Any other Canterlot official- would have her head on a pike

"Am I the kind of idiot who 'needs' a master? How pathetic." Lyra muttered. The fire crackled and faded. She added more twigs. "Maybe the new vizier would be understanding. Maybe... the princess would believe me." She shook her head. "Useless hope. Useless thoughts I've had before."

If a trainwreck like Pon-3 had survived in exile, Lyra could too.
But with the weight of an unplaceable psychic guilt on her, could Lyra make it out of Equestria? Would a vengeful empire kill her first, or her own psychosis?


Lyra sat back from the fire and stared into the night sky. The moon was hanging over Canterlot, staring back.
The shapeshifter's gleeful words echoed in her head. "Do you Envy me yet, Moon?" Lyra whispered along with the terrible memory.

Lyra pulled a hooffull of flowers and berries out of her bag and began to eat. When her appetite failed her halfway through the meal she tossed the rest into the fire in disgust.

"Witness my sacrifice to you, Moon." Lyra recited. She hated herself more than she could fathom. She knew she didn’t deserve to eat. She wanted to starve. There was no future for her, only a haunting past, a specter that would creep up on her and devour her.

As Lyra curled up for an early sleep, clouds from the east began to gather over the hills below. The wind picked up, pushing the clouds up and over the mountain ridge in wispy strands. It began to drizzle a cold rain, beating down the sizzling embers of the fire.

The specter was closing in for sure. Lyra wondered if she would perish of hypothermia and exposure before the morning. She wanted to wither into nothing. Yes let me wither, like so many others before have done!
She pulled her coat closer, even as the rain soaked it.



She had not yet begun to dream when something awoke her. Was it ponies hunting for her?!
Paying closer attention, Lyra identified a crackling sound loud enough to be heard over the drizzling rain. Lyra got up and dragged herself through the mud to see that the fire pit was dead as should have been expected, but the mysterious sound of fire still tickled in her ears.

"Wait..." Lyra scowled. "That's... that's what dragonfire sounds like."

A pinprick of green light winked into existance over Lyra's head, casting an eerie glow over the conifers and glade.
Dragonfire! Dragonfire! But who?

The pinpoint suddenly expanded into green inferno that lit up the mountaintop in blinding glory. That ball of molten magic fire hovered in the air for a moment, torturing Lyra's with its unbearable heat, before burning itself out. In its place, a small scroll hovered in the air, before gravity took hold and it was deposited in the mud.

Lyra snatched up the scroll before it could be too badly damaged by the mud. Only a few ponies had dragonfire. Fewer had it to spare on sending her messages. And how had they determined her location? Scrying? A hidden magic beacon?

The Musician's Guild was the obvious first thought. They had the dragonfire cages, after all.

"No... It's from..." Lyra rolled the scroll so she could inspect the wax seal binding: A five-point star, falling to the earth. Lyra instantly recognized it from her research for Fancy Pants. "House Twilight."
Twilight Velvet was reaching out.

You were at the unicorn school at the same time as my daughter.
I remember you as a bright young filly. Your mother and I had several cheerful conversations.
Alas I was only too sad to hear when you fell in with that Star, Phyte,
And too glad when you fell out with her.
But as a mother with experience in how a filly handles that kind of thing, I still sympathize.

Unfortunately the saccharine moment can't last. If fate had allowed us, I would have invited you over for tea and conversation. I know you were investigating me for your late master. I know you did not kill him.
We have to be mares of buisness now. We have had previous dealings. I was a stakeholder in the dragonfire heist you pulled with the Artist's Guild- Thusly I can send these messages.

I can send something bigger too. You know who I mean.

But reviving somepony 'from the dead' does not come cheep. I have a job for you, guild mare.
Two lives, for two lives. I didn't plan it this way, but I think it is more than fair. I will even give you one in advance.
If you accept this offer, pour the vial over the scroll, then burn it.

You can refuse if you like, but then I will have to find some other use for these lives.
I look forward to your prompt reply, Mis Heartstrings.

"Octavia!" Lyra cried out, crumpling the parchment slightly with her shaking hooves.
HOW? How had her friend survived and ended up in Twilight Velvet's captivity?


There were no questions in Lyra’s mind now. The doubts and melancholy evaporated.

On second look, a small red vial had fallen into the mud when she'd unrolled the scroll. Lyra picked it up, noting how much like blood the viscous liquid within appeared.

"Accursed mare." Lyra said with a certain gleeful venom. She glanced up to the moon, and silently thanked it for rewarding her sacrifice. "I will accept your job, Lady Twilight Velvet. It is indeed a fair recompense."

She uncorked the vail of red liquid and let it dribble onto the parchment. It immediately sunk in, leaving no stain. But how to light it on fire? The fire pit was flooded, and there was no sufficient shelter for miles. If she was going to light it right away as she wanted, it was going to take magic; For Lyra that meant a lot of raw energy.

Lyra was, frankly, bad at magic. Lifting a laden saddlebag was just about the limit of her ability. But right now she had determination and intensity, and she let the pure force of will push her past her comfort zone.

She began to focus intently.
The scroll began tremble in Lyra’s hold. It ripped in places as her precision faltered. She began to grind her teeth as her tense muscles began to quiver. But the scroll began to steam slightly.

In a last push, she yelped into the rainy night. It was enough! A single spark on the corner, and the scroll erupted into infernal green flame.


Lyra collapsed, sucking in air. "Pshh, easy." She whispered weakly. "Ponies... study magic for their whole lives, and I just..." She didn't have the energy to continue to silly boast.

Then, there was a crackle in the air again. Another dragonfire message- The unholy fire roiled to life, a far bigger inferno than for the scroll.
The flame receded and something big fell into the mud with a wet splat.

"L- Lyra..." Something moaned in the dark.

"Yeah, I'm here." Lyra pulled herself over to the pony. "Sorry It's too cold. Gotta... conserve heat."
The two mares clung together and passed out soon after.

The wind from the east ended, and the clouds settled back over the hills, ending the rain over the mountains. They were left in the glade under the watchful moon.


The weather was much worse further north, over the plateau of Canterlot. Winds rushing up from the Canter whipped over the city walls, blowing the rain horizontally. Ponies ran for shelter in the entrances of the homes and shops. Inter-cloud Lightning illuminated the rooftops. It was quite the storm.

The monk Manered hobbled along the Old Town streets, one hoof gripping the edge of his hood to keep it in place against the wind and rain. "I'm surprised the weather factory let it get this bad." He wondered if he would have to spend the night in the city. It would be a punishing climb back to the monastery otherwise.

If it was clear, the shops and venues of the Old Town would stay open long into the night, but with the storm everything was closed and battened down.
Still, some of the shopfront windows displayed their wares, and Manered's eyes naturally gravitated to the alluring bourgeois luxuries he passed- Intricate mechanical watches, golden candelabras, realistic landscape paintings, bejewel clothing, diadems and brooches... They sparkled in the lightning's light, drawing conspicuous attention to themselves.
Manered pulled down the hood of his plain brown robe a little farther. Monks were supposed to be content with asceticism. It was virtuous to be humble. The Sun's guiding light was enough for a pony of faith.

In the hours without her light, sinister temptation clawed.

"That's why we stay in the monastery up on the mountain, away from sin." Manered set his eyes straight ahead. He passed stores with exotic wares, camel coffee and Zebrastani tea and hippogriffic candies. He passed inventors' shops with intricate mechanisms that boggled the mind, and printing shops with news from overseas. None of it was for him. It was required of him that he pay no mind at all to a rich and dynamic world, rushing past. "Away from the past and future."

If only there were no past and future, he wouldn't have needed to descend into Canterlot on his way to the castle.

But was it wrong to even feel the temptation, the longing? Manered had come with no money, not even a coinpurse. "Like a eunuch." He chuckled to himself, finishing the obscene comparison in his head.
He'd once owned a purse finer than any of the things he had walked past, the envy of all his friends, made of silk and garnished with dragonpearls. What had become of the pony who had been so proud to own a thing like that? Unfortunately perhaps, he was still that pony.


Such thoughts preoccupied Manered until he reached Canterlot Castle.
There was a pair of Imperial Household Guard knights flanking the door, standing firm against the whipping rain in parkas, steadying themselves with their spears. Though their faces were hidden under the hoods of their parkas, Manered felt their eyes upon him as he approached.

Wordlessly, Manered pulled open the castle doors enough to slip inside. The winds pushed it closed behind him with a thud.

A dozen more guards were sitting around just inside. They all turned to look at him.

"A solar monk? But it's after dark." One of them chuckled.

One of the knights, their leader, Manered recognized.
"Check him for weapons." Shining Armor set his mug down and stood up. "Under the robes too."

Manered hesitated. "Perhaps I should have sent a letter." He gulped. He unclasped his overcoat and bundled it up. "Traditionally, bhikkhus do not submit themselves to savaka interference."

"Traditionally, Viziers don't get murdered." Shining Armor countered. "If you don't want to be 'interfered' with, turn around and leave."

"I understand sir knight, I was just... speaking out of a certain personal discomfort of mine." Manered cleared his throat. He set down the overcoat and allowed himself to be patted-down by one of the knights.

"Not surprising cloistered monks would have a thing about touching." The knight doing the pat-down joked.

"I am here to deliver crucial information to the court." Manered continued to address Shining Armor, who was identifiably in charge.

Shining nodded to the other knights to let Manered approach. "Oh yes, urgent information too, I would surmise. But it is long after hours. Court adjourns at sundown, you know."

Manered nervously pivoted back and forth on his hooves. "This is true, sir. I will not speak indirectly then. Court or not, my information must reach the princess."

The knights mumbled amongst themselves, either skeptically or worriedly.

Shining Armor sighed. "This would usually be a job for the vizier. As it stands it is my duty to make sure the princess knows what she needs to know."

"I can escort him if you want to head back to the barracks for sleep, sir." One of the knights, a pegasus, offered.

Shining shook his head. "Maybe next time. In my absence you take watch lead, Sir Sentry. Sir Vanguard, you take fourth watch if I'm not back by then." He gestured for Manered to follow him, and set out into the castle's grand hall.



Nopony had lit any candles around the castle, so the halls were obtrusively dark. Like the streets outside, constant lightning flashes only the only illumination.
"Truthfully, brother, there is court being held right now." Shining Armor said. "The princess is holding a special meeting on account of the storm."

"Really?" Manered blinked. It made him suddenly uncomfortable to think that the raging storm outside was had not been planned by the weather factory.

"Yes, but keep that to yourself." Shining said.

Trotting the halls towards the throne room, Manered tried to think of where he had seen the stallion before. Was this not Lady Twilight Sparkle's brother? The lad had occasionally accompanied his sister on visits to the Solar Monastery library, years previous. Manered had not been in the monastery long at that point, and he remembered his past envy towards the dashing noble colt, a squire in training.
"Sir, we've met before." Manered said. "I don't think we ever talked, though."

"Yes I remember you, brother. Sorry, I was waiting to see if you said something." Shining nodded. "I don't know the rules around that kind of think in your order."

"It is true that outside connections are discouraged, but disallowing acquaintances is plain impossible." Manered said with a slight grin. "Things are well with you and your sister, sir?"

"Good enough. Twilight was promoted. She's on imperial assignment in the Dneighper Valley now." Shining said.

Manered cooed. "Wow, good for her. She deserves it. She gave no indication when I last spoke with her, about a month ago. In fact, she seemed to be heading into a new personal project. Ahh, but that is neither here nor there."

Shining said nothing, silently fitting that fact into the interconnected web of information he was forming about the general pandemonium and confusion in Canterlot.


The throne room was dark as well, but as it featured stained glass along the opposing lengths, the lightning flashes were much brighter if more scattered. It was a chaotic display.
There were only a few other ponies there: Manered could faintly discern the alicorn on the throne, flanked by IHG knights. There was a lone pegasus supplicant.


"Should we approach?" Manered whispered to Shining.

"Think you can contribute to a conversation about weather engineering?" Shining retorted.

Manered was silent for a moment. "Sir, would you believe that the urgent news I bear is related, if faintly, to this storm?"

Shining side-eyed the monk. "No."

Manered felt a little betrayed. He had suffered the pat-down and the knight still didn't trust him? "Fine." It was not the time to play his cards close to his chest. "Solar Monasteries track the sun, as you well know. What you may not know is that solar energy is the root cause of weather."

Shining Armor did not want to be pestered about it any more, so he silently led the monk closer to the throne.
The lightning was getting closer, crackling over Canterlot as the stormclouds broke around the Mountain. Everything in the room rattled and vibrated.


Manered stopped in place. "Wait a second..." The outline of the pony on the throne was much too small.

"That's the Junior Princess. I apologize for not making that clear before." Shining said.

Manered scratched his head. "Sir, I alluded to the role of the sun in this urgent message of mine."

"Do not disrespect the Junior Princess. Her highness Princess Celestia is occupied." Shining said. It didn't need to be mentioned that Celestia was probably still up on the Southern Watchtower.

Manered had come too far, and couldn't think of another excuse. Seeing the mare filled him with a deep uncertainty, like the sight of the exotic Old Town wares. It had been years since he'd seen the junior princess.
Though Manered had to admit, as they approached the throne closer, that Princess Cadenza did look properly regal and authoritative in that vaunted seat, flanked by soldiers. The low light was doing her many favors though, obscuring the proportions of how much larger the throne was than the alicorn.

Now that they were closer to the pegasus supplicant, Manered could make out their voice against the echoes and the thunder. As would be expected, it was the voice of Nimbus Duster, Canterlot’s chief meteorologist and the factor of the Canterlot Weather Factory. Manered did not know Nimbus Duster personally, but the Solar Monastery collaborated with the weather factory on important occasions like holidays, making sure the local pegasi did not make a holy day cloudy or some such. While not nearly the size of the massive Cloudsdale weather facility, Canterlot's cloud workshop provided for the principality's needs well enough.

Manered heard Cadenza's voice as well, heightening the fear in his heart. Cadence... She was associated with old memories, some good, some bad- Best forgotten, best left behind, as expected for the cloister.


Cadenza was learning forward, emphasizing some point she was making to the hapless Nimbus Duster. "You can not completely offload your responsibility, Factor. You have only talked about other ponies' faults for this event, and none of your own."

Nimbus Duster was nervous, given he was getting the full scrutiny of an alicorn. "We are too weak, and that is a fault. I can only work with that I have."

"Weakness is not a failing. It is, as her highness would say, the reason for ponykind's wardship under alicorn rule. It is just a fact." Cadence replied.
Shining's ears tingled at her words. It was marvelous and maybe disconcerting how quickly Cadence had taken up the courtly rhetorical style Celestia used; allegory-riven, understanding but also firm.
"However, ponies giving less than their ability, shirking and leaving others to struggle, is a dire failing. That is why I want you to be more precise about the Canterlot Weather Factory's role in this storm, Factor." Cadence continued. "When did you become aware of it?"

"Not an hour before sunset, princess. A letter was manually delivered from the Fourth Ford factory. They don't have any dragonfire, you see. It has to be conveyed by pegasi or airship." Nimbus Duster said. He still seemed determined to pivot the topic away from himself. "The Fourth Ford factor was also blindsided because a warning from Baltimare didn't arrive until after the storm left the Crystal Valley."

Cadence's expression couldn't be discerned in the dark, but Shining imagined it was annoyed. "Where is the letter?"

"Well, I... had it in my pocket when my team and I when out to delay the front." Nimbus Duster cleared his throat. "It is a bit of a soggy mess now, in the other jacket, because I changed into this dry one when-"

Candence tapped her hoof on the rest of the throne. "Fine, fine. Tell us about these delaying measures."

"They were ineffective. My ponypower was too low, and the front had picked up a tremendous amount of momentum."Numbus Duster explained. "I have some charts drawn up. They are at the factory if you would like to see them.”

"We shall be reviewing them later." Cadence nodded. She paused, formulating a question the pegasus could not deflect from. "What would you have done, if you were in Baltimare, where you say this storm originated?"

"I would..." Duster bit his lip. "Not be understaffed? It's a ponypower issue there too. The letter- If I had it, it would explain how they lost a very good weatherpony two weeks ago."

"Why?" Cadence demanded.

"The demand for weatherponies is much higher than supply. Pegasi are going into the Cloudsdale commodity factories rather than weather training. Those who are trained stay in Cloudsdale, where they have an established labor movement." Nimbus Duster was suddenly a lot more engaged. "Corvee weatherponies don't cut it. I don't want to talk bad about my home town, but Cloudsdale is letting the rest of us languish. They need to give us more trained ponies."

Cadence nodded, pleased to be getting somewhere. "How many other factors would echo that sentiment?"

Nimbus Duster froze. "T- Thats a political question." He cleared his throat. "Sorry I, well, only shared my opinion, you see. This is a private, secret meeting, right?" He glanced back at Shining Armor and Manered, letting out a sigh of relief when he saw neither were pegasi. "Princess, in my official role of factor, I fully defer to Cloudsdale. Let it never be said otherwise. Please."


"Okay I get it. Just-" Cadence's royal facade was faltering. "Cursorily address damage and mitigation, please."

“Flooding could be a very real threat in the Canter. There may be landslides in the valley and the Don, especially over-exploited soils on the noble estates.” Nimbus Duster rattled off. “There are storm cells over the Everfree that could combine with this storm. That means torrential rain in the Ponyville region."

"Will giving you extra pegasi prevent any of that?" Cadence asked.

Nimbus Duster shrugged. "As I said princess, untrained pegasi are not much help, especially for a storm this strong. They'd just get hurt." He tapped his chin. "Do you know any weather spells, princess?"


Shining strode around Nimbus Duster and stood between him and the throne. "Do not waste any more of the princesses time with that inanity. This audience is over. Go out and do your duty."

Nimbus Duster stepped back from the assertive unicorn. "I- I understand. Thank you for the audience, your grace." He backed away, then departed the throne room.


Manered found it to be exceedingly daring the way Shining Armor was speaking for the princess.

"Going to blame him, Baltimare, or Cloudsdale?" Shining turned to the princess.

“Why does somepony need to be at blame?” Cadence asked, sounding tired. As opposed to the firm formality she had displayed for Nimbus Duster, speaking to Shining she was immediately more casual.

"It is a soldier's opinion that fault for an intolerable failure must be found somewhere, even if it is spread over a hundred ponies. In fact, the more dispersed the blame, the more negligent the leader actually is." Shining Armor said. “Equestria has had mastery over its weather for a thousand years. Letting a like this storm punish us is humiliating."

"That is your opinion. I feel fine." Cadence said, leaning back in the throne. She did not sound fine.


On some subtle cue from Shining Armor, the other two IHG knights descended the dais and left the throne room too, leaving Cadence, Shining Armor, and Manered the only ponies there.

"Did I ask for that, Shining?" Cadence asked, getting slightly testy.

"My opinion or the privacy?" Shining Armor countered.

Cadence grunted. "Why do you want to control me all of a sudden? Don't tell me you're taking inspiration from your mom's speech from this morning."

"I beg you not say that again, princess. I am doing my duty, like we all should." Shining said.

"You can't give that as the answer to everything. It's going to drive me insane. Duty, duty, duty..." Cadence shook her head. "This is stressful and I need more support from you, not more... more problems, okay? I don't want to have to worry about your intentions too."

Shining was getting cross. "Now you wish to be in charge, princess?"

Not only was the knight being daring, Manered realized, but nearly insubordinate. It was almost impressive. It would have made for an interesting show if Manered didn't have his oh-so important information to deliver.

“The court trots all over you. Princess Celestia would never let them get away with that.” Shining continued.

Cadence sighed. “I can’t believe you right now. I thought I was doing you a favor. I thought you wanted me to help the ponies."

”Helping ponies is the outcome of governing well. If we had a vizier, they would agree." Shining said.

Cadence scoffed. "If that pretend vizier were you, without a doubt. That's you mother talking through you."

“You could stand to take a page from her book and-” Shining stopped himself before he said more. He straightened himself. "Princess, if I am in the wrong, direct me to do otherwise. I serve at your pleasure."

Cadence rubbed her cheek in frustration. "You can be such a pain. Shining, I just want to see the pony you brought with you. I must get to bed."


Manered pulled himself to his hooves and advanced to the base of the throne.
“I have news, and I need to see Princess Celestia.” He disclosed.

“I told you, Junior Princess Cadenza perfectly capable of handling any issue you may present.” Shining said.

“Respectfully, not where questions of destiny arise.” Manered hesitated.

“You insolent-”

Cadence cast a light spell, illuminating what was otherwise only seen in the flashes of lightning: the red trim of Manered’s robe.

"Welcome, brother of the Solar Monestary." Cadence said, her formal tone returning. "I recognize you, but I know not from whence."

"Yes princess. But it escapes me as well." Manered lied. He turned his face to the floor to hide his burning cheeks and swell of unease. The past was best locked away for a monk... She was his liege, nothing more. "Another life, perhaps? Alas I come for trouble in this life."

"Trouble." Cadence repeated. She glanced at Shining who gave her a nod. "Proceed, solar brother."

Manered nodded. “Were that I could point to clear skies to make my point princess, but this tempest..." He shook his head. "You see princess, our heavenly Sun is rebelling.”


The regular tick-tock of the Golden Oak's wall clock was the only sound as Twilight slowly plotted out the data from her day's investigation into the nightmare melody.

The night wore on, and Twilight became more tired. She put down her quill and focussed on the clock's repetitious sound for a few minutes. Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock. One click about every second.

Spike looked over the top of his book at Twilight spacing out. "Hey."

Twilight jolted back to reality, blinking rapidly. "Hey yourself." She said, clearing her throat. "Finish your chapter yet?"

"I'm halfway through." Spike said. "You're not sending me to bed alone. You look like you're going to fall over."


Twilight looked down at her work.
Although she had recorded different places where she had experienced the nightmare melody, trying to determine the direction of its source was not proving easy. The arc was too wide, and there was no harmonic overlap between the measurements. It didn't make sense. Could the melody be originating from multiple sources?

"Going to bed early has never paid off for me. I'm at my best when I'm half insane from sleep deprivation." Twilight joked. "I keep trying methods. Calculus and imaginary numbers aren't helping me, and they're usually very forthcoming."

Spike closed his book and a closer look at the curves Twilight had drawn. "Yeah, I have no idea what I'm looking at." He looked back to Twilight. "And your secrecy doesn't help with that."

Twilight frowned. "This is dangerous information I'm dealing with. I promise I will tell you everything when I know its safe." She folded up her papers, not that Spike was at risk of suddenly realizing that she was trying to identify frequencies of Dark magic. "Little dragon boys are resilient, but not against everything."

"How about little fillies?" Spike countered. "I don't even mean you, but the Ponyville mares. Mis Rarity, Mis Applejack, Mis Fluttershy, Mis Pie-"

"Yes I know their names now." Twilight interrupted. "I will tell them too, exactly when they need to know."

Spike crossed his arms. "You don't trust me."

"I trust you implicitly, Spike. This stuff is..." Twilight wondered if she should tell him the whole truth, and explain the prophesy and historical references to the Nightmare Pretender, and the deadly dream in the ruin, and the nightmare melody only she heard. "It could maybe get me in trouble. I have to keep it to myself to give everypony plausible deniability. Basically, I have to disarm the potential trouble before I let anypony know."

"Are you doing heretical stuff again?" Spike demanded, puffing up his cheeks. "I hate when you leave me out of the cool stuff!"

"If I thought you would help me, I would have included you already." Twilight said. Immediately realizing how insulting it sounded, she put on an apologetic smile and levitated Spike's book to her side. "Keep up with your studies, and you will be able to contribute to this high-level stuff. You know I completely rely on you when it comes to the tedious stuff. When you lean the material, I'm sure I'll be relying on you for magic studies too."

Spike allowed himself to accept the compliment. "Yeah yeah." He said with a goofy grin. He plucked his book out of Twilight's telekinesis and plodded towards the stairs. "I'll never out-argue you, that's for sure. I guess I lied, and I'm going to bed without you."

"Good night Spike. I will be done here soon." Twilight nodded.



Tick, tock, tick, tock ,tick, tock. Twilight caught herself spacing out again. It was starting to get gusty outside.
"Another storm?" Twilight whispered to herself.

Her candles had almost completely burned down.

Twilight felt something... a distant rhythm. Louder, louder it grew in her head. A thrum of strings, drawing back and forth in time with the grandfather clock.
The Nightmare Melody had come for Twilight again.

"Impossible." Twilight said breathlessly. She unfolded out her papers, scanning the plotted curves for anything that would suggest that the melody would be able to reach into Ponyville. "Completely impossible. The source would have to be moving closer."
She tried to stand up, but instead Twilight passed out. She fell onto her side, immediately in a deep sleep.

The candle burned out.

PreviousChapters Next