• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 2,143 Views, 53 Comments

Dashie: Twenty Percent Cooler - Kieva Lynn



A continuation of "My Little Dashie." When Rainbow Dash's memories of Earth return, will Celestia allow her to return? And how has her adoptive father dealt with the loss?

  • ...
9
 53
 2,143

Two

Standard Disclaimer: I do not own MLP, nor am I in any way affiliated with the author of the story this fic is based upon.

XXXXXXX

Chapter Two


Earth: Day Seventy: Early on a Saturday morning, Brian awoke, stretched the creaks out of his joints, and showered. He smiled to himself as he thought about Miri. Of all the luck, to have found a girl that liked FIM, so many years after the show had ended. He imagined Dashie's voice: “Daddy, you hit the jackpot.” Brian was still chuckling to himself over that when the realization struck him that he had done so without becoming saddened by the thought of her.

“Guess I really am getting better.” He thought as he dressed. “I'm gonna be okay Dashie... For the first time, I'm not just saying that. I really believe it... And I know you will be too.” Though he wasn't good with math, he tried to estimate. “One day equals one year... Two hours a month... It's been a little more than four hours in Equestria...”

Shrugging, Brian finished dressing, ate breakfast, and drove into town to meet Miri. They had a full day planned, after all...

XXXXXXX

Equestria: Day Sixteen: The previous day, Rainbow had awoken from her night in Twilight's guest room feeling somewhat better, and left for her workday after assuring the unicorn that she would visit the doctor if she had any further problems. For her part, Twilight spent the rest of the day anxiously awaiting the arrival of Celestia's reply to her letter. She worked the Library 'til noon, had lunch with Rarity and Fluttershy, and spent the evening pacing. No letter arrived.

When she was eating breakfast with Spike the next day, she expressed her concerns. “I can't believe the Princess didn't answer back! This is important Spike, it's not like her to let that kind of thing go.”

“She is the Sun Princess.” The dragon answered, dusting his pancakes with ground rubies, “Maybe she's just been too busy.”

“Maybe...” Twilight agreed, though she didn't sound convinced.

Half an hour later, shortly after opening for business, Twilight looked up as the front door opened and a pair of Royal Guards entered in shining golden barding, the one to the right announcing “Her Royal Highness, Princess Celestia.” The Sun Alicorn stepped in and greeted her student.

“Princess!” Twilight exclaimed, bowing. She gazed around nervously at the disorganized chamber, books strewn about in random piles. “I wasn't expecting you, or I would have...”

“Calm yourself my student.” Celestia chuckled. She turned to the guards. “I'm safe enough here. Round up the other elements, except for Rainbow Dash. We have much to discuss.”

The guards exchanged unhappy looks, not liking the idea of leaving their monarch unprotected, but did as commanded. “Princess?” Twilight asked. “Why...?”

“Rainbow Dash will be informed soon enough. We have much to discuss first...” The alicorn seemed more troubled than her protege had ever seen as she continued “I'm quite old Twilight, as you know... I've ruled for centuries, and tried my best to learn wisdom and discernment. And I must say, at the risk of boasting, that I have mostly succeeded. I do not often make mistakes.” A single tear rolled down her face. “I have erred concerning your friend.”

“But Princess...”

“Patience. We will speak more fully when the others arrive.”

It was only a short wait before the Royal Guards returned, one with Rarity and Pinkie, the other with Fluttershy and Applejack. Celestia ordered the guards to wait outside, then began. “I received your letter Twilight. Concerning Rainbow Dash.”

“What's wrong with 'er Princess?” AJ asked.

“Yes, she's just not quite herself since the... ...incident.” Rarity agreed.

“You don't know the half of it.” Twilight said, and told them about Rainbow's late-night visit, and the things she had confessed.

AJ shook her head. “But that don't make no sense! None of it does! You did the spell right didn't you? She don't remember...”

Celestia intervened. “Twilight made no error with the spell.” She sighed. “I should have seen this coming, really...”

“Seen what coming? What's happening to her?” Twilight asked.

Pinkie said “Yeahwhat'shappening? Rainbow'sourfriendwe'reworriedabout her!”

“There are two forces at work here.” The Princess began to explain. “First, the memory spell does NOT 'erase' any memories. It submerges them, to a point where the conscious mind does not have access, but they are still there... Rainbow Dash spent fifteen years on Earth. She was raised from foalhood by that man. Those experiences are now a part of her, a part of the matrix that makes her who she is, and nothing could ever change that. This is why her personality is slightly different.”

“But, shouldn't it have stopped with that?” Twilight asked. “Shouldn't the memories stay buried? She's dreaming about them. She feels a 'hole' in her life. She used what I assume was an Earth expression, 'On the other HAND' instead of 'On the other HOOF.' She didn't catch it, but I did.”

Nodding, Celestia said “Yes. I expected the memories to remain forever buried. That was the error I mentioned earlier... As powerful as magic and friendship are, there is in fact one force in life even more powerful. The second force at work in this: Love. We all saw how she felt when we told her she had to come with us. She loves her 'father.' Loves him with all her heart... I fear that nothing can prevent the memories from resurfacing fully, and soon.”

There was a general gasp of shock around the room. It was Fluttershy who finally timidly asked “Then what are we supposed to do?”

“What we did was wrong.” AJ said. “I see it now. We never shoulda taken those memories from her. I'm sorry Princess, ah don't mean ta' question ya, but...”

“It's okay Applejack. I've come to the same conclusion. What concerns me is the possible impact on your friendship, given that Twilight was the one who actually cast the spell. The bonds of Harmony must not be damaged. That is why I will be here, while you call Rainbow Dash back and reveal the truth to her. I will make it clear to her that this is my fault, that you were only obeying a royal command you did not like and should not be blamed.” Celestia looked down at the floor.

“When will we do it?” AJ asked.

“The sooner the better, before the memories return on their own. I think we have a few days yet, but...”

“Day after tomorrow!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Dashie's off work that day. She'll have time to think it through!” Everyone stared at Pinkie, shocked to hear such a sound idea from her.

“Very well then.” Celestia nodded. “I will return in two days.” With that the Princess collected her guards and teleported back to Canterlot...

Equestria: Day Eighteen: Dash looked about in surprise as she entered the library to find not only her five fellow elements but also both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna waiting for her. “W... What's goin' on?” She asked.

“Sit, please.” Celestia said. Rainbow did so and the Princess said “There is something you need to be made aware of... We have not been entirely honest with you about what happened.”

“The accident?” Rainbow asked. “I've felt like something wasn't right almost since I woke up but...” She looked at her friends. “Why would you lie to me?”

“The deception was on my orders Rainbow Dash. At the time I thought it was for the best. I've come to see that I was wrong. I fully expect you to be angry with me, and I accept this, but I plead with you not to be angry with your friends. They did not like what I ordered, and did it only in obedience to me.”

“Did what!?” Rainbow demanded. “What in the world is going on!?”

Twilight spoke next. “The first part of what we told you was true. The accident itself really did happen. But, instead of knocking you out for two weeks...” She paused, trying to think of the best way to word the next part of it. “Somehow the mixing of the two types of magic opened a doorway, a portal, into another world. You fell in, and the door closed behind you. It took us fifteen days to figure out where you were and how to get to you, and when we finally did...”

Twilight fell silent, unable to continue after seeing the look of shock and disbelief on Rainbow's face. Fluttershy whispered “When we got to the other world, we found out that time works different there. For every one day here, a whole year passes there.”

“Wait hold on...” Rainbow interrupted. “Are you guys kidding me here? I don't feel fifteen years older than I was before, don't you think I'd notice something like that?”

“Ah'm sure ya would sugercube, but...”

“But what?”

Composing herself, Twilight said “There was another side-effect to the magic. When you fell into the portal it somehow de-aged you. You came out the other side as a filly, no cutie mark, no memories, nothing. It seems that you were found by one of the locals, who took you in and, well, re-raised you. You were basically his adopted daughter for fifteen years, until we came and bought you back.”

Rainbow Dash wanted to laugh. Wanted to laugh and tell her friends that they had carried this absurd joke far enough. But, though she still couldn't remember, something deep in her heart was shouting loudly at her that it was the truth. “If all this happened,” she finally asked, “Why don't I remember it?”

“Your friends needed their friend back.” Celestia said. “And Equestria needed it's element-bearer, in case the power was required. I ordered Twilight to perform the memory-spell she used during the Discord incident to give you back the memories of your original life.”

“Taking away my memories of my new life...”

“Not entirely.” Twilight said. “Those memories are still there, just... buried. It was an unavoidable side-effect.”

Celestia explained “We had thought that the memories would stay buried. We underestimated the strength of you bond with your adopted father.”

“So... This is why I'm feeling and acting a little different now?” Rainbow shook her head. “And the dreams?”

Luna nodded. “You are dreaming of your life on Earth. Most of the dream is happy, memories of your life. It ends in fear, well, most likely it ends with Tia and the others arriving to bring you home.”

Rainbow Dash wasn't sure how she should feel or act. She still didn't remember, but her gut was telling her it was all true. So far as that part of it went, it was kind of a relief to know she wasn't going nuts, or brain damaged. Though, that her friends would hide such a thing from her... Sure, it was a royal order they had to obey, but still... “If... If you'll excuse me princesses... I need to think about this on my own for awhile.”

“Of course.” Celestia nodded.

Luna agreed, “You may go. But keep in mind that your memories are going to return, and soon. Be prepared.”

The pegasus simply nodded to show that she had understood, then quickly spread her wings and flew away. “Princess...” Twilight began, crying.

Celestia stepped closer, nuzzling her student and draping a wing over her back. “It will be alright Twilight. Rough for a time perhaps, but it will be alright...” For the first time in many decades, the princess was unsure of her own words.

XXXXXXX

Earth. Day Eighty-Four. Miri arrived at Brian's house to find a note with her name on it stuck to the door. “Miri,” it read, “Called into work extra for a couple of hours. Back door's open so make yourself at home, there's cake in the fridge.” She walked around to the back and entered the kitchen. The note said it had been written at eleven. Glancing at the clock she saw that it was now twelve-thirty, so Brian shouldn't be too much longer.

Miri peered into the icebox and grinned when she saw the cake was double-fudge almond, her favorite. Brian certainly knew how to spoil a girl. It was shaping up to be a good day, but that ended when the knife she was using to cut a slice slipped . Holding her cut hand tightly, Miri washed the excess blood away then went looking for antiseptics and bandages. She found the former in the medicine cabinet, but nothing to bandage herself. Feeling bad about it even though she had permission to be in the house, she went looking elsewhere.

Through drawers and cabinets Miri searched, finally finding what she was after in Brian's home office desk and finishing up her first-aid. Afterward, she took a closer look at the room than she had gotten before. The computer was ancient. Everything was covered in a thick layer of dust, as if it hadn't been used in years if not ever. No, wait, not everything. Situated on a shelf was a large thick photo album, without a speck of dust anywhere on it.

Curious, Miri picked it up and started to page through the photographs. The first half of the album was perfectly normal: Photos of Brian and what she assumed was his parents, beginning with Brian as a newborn, all the way up until he was nearly an adult. Miri turned another page and found a yellowing newspaper clipping, a headline regarding a terrible automobile accident in the city of Port Timbrey. Brian's parents were listed in the article as victims.

Miri turned another page, expecting the rest of the album to be photos of Brian alone, or perhaps his adopted daughter. Instead her eyes opened wider as she found picture after picture of Brian with Rainbow Dash photoshopped in. She had to admit that these were the best photoshops she had ever seen. But she grew apprehensive as she continued on, more and more photos, and finally a handwritten letter, purportedly from Dash to Brian. So focused had she become on the album that she was unaware of Brian's return home until he stepped into the room and saw her looking at the photos.

“Um, Brian...”

“I can explain that...” He answered, sitting down in the office chair.

“Can you?

“Well, I admit it's a long story...”

“How long? Brian, you actually believe this, don't you? You actually believe that Rainbow Dash was your adopted daughter? That she lived here with you?” Miri was on the verge of tears.

“My daughter is real.”

“Oh, I believe that. I believe there really was a girl here you took care of... You couldn't handle losing her could you? So you made this nice little fantasy...”

“It's not a fantasy damnit!” Brian shouted. He realized how loud he had been. “Sorry... I'm sorry... But that's it then, isn't it? This scares you. You think I'm crazy and you're afraid of me now.” He let his head rest on his knees, sobbing.

“I'm not afraid...” Miri said. “And I don't think you're actually crazy, just... ...In need of help. But, I can't deal with this. I'm sorry Brian. I'm sorry....” She turned and ran down the stairs and out the front door, jumping into her car and driving away, fighting the tears that Brian was also struggling against...