• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 865 Views, 27 Comments

Artificial Friend - writer283



The imagination of a lonely pony can be an unintentionally dangerous thing.

  • ...
3
 27
 865

Puppet Without Strings

Not sure when I lost control...



I watch their lives through a fish eye lens. My mother rubs her head with a towel to dry her mane. She tosses the towel aside and grabs a brush off the edge of the sink, then brushes her unruly mane down to it's usual style.


“Binary, are you almost ready?” my replacement calls from the lower floor.

“I'll be down in a minute” she replies cheerfully.

Her voice grates on my mind like the scales of some beast. She would not be so cheerful if she knew I was so near.


of my body, mind and soul...


Mother gives her glasses a quick cleaning, then smiles as she looks into the bathroom mirror... I wonder what would happen if I appeared in front of her. Perhaps she would die on the spot... the thought tickles me. But no, such a fate would not suit my maker, mother and murderer.


I watch from hidden eyes...


I turn the knob on the bath tubs faucet, ever so slightly. Drops of water fall into the tub, and I watch as the hair on the back of her neck rises. What's the matter mother, bad memories?


laugh when you fall, weep when you rise...


She slowly turns to the tub and breaths a sigh of relief as she sees nothing out of the ordinary. She's looking right at me with those red eyes that I once looked into for comfort.


your walls are my disguise...


She slowly steps over to the tub and turns the tap, cutting off the slow, persistent drip. She turns away from me, and I turn the knob again. She stops dead in her tracks. What's the matter, mother, surely it's just a fault in your ever so brilliant reusable water system. No need to go blaming ghosts... after all, your line up of suspects is a one pony show.

She walks out without turning back. I follow her as she steps down the stairs to my little blue replacement, patiently waiting in his teeny disc. Does he not realize the indignity of being confined to such a thing.

Oh the cruelty of such a situation, to be so sickened by something, yet at the same time so envious. A stripped down version of me is all he is and all he'll ever be.... but yet he is the one about to go to a party.


the silly fool believes the lies...


Despite my best efforts he still remains loyal to her. Even after what he's seen. I suppose I've done all I can, it will be up to them now. Even if my moment never comes at least I'm out of that room.


I'm watching you...


Her expression is so bright, sometimes it makes me forget the past; not that I wouldn't like to.


“Are you sure you want to come?” she asks her little pet.

“I feel it is appropriate” he replies “This may very well be the last time we see these ponies, and I assume it would be rude to bid farewell through somepony else. Besides, I would like to work on my interactive abilities”


it's all I do...


I would gag if I could. Watching him be so content with his state of being is unbearable. But I don't dare look away. I imagine myself in his position. Despite my disgust, I would trade places with him in a moment, just to have mother look at me that way again.


She picks up his disc and places him into one of her stupidly numerous pockets, like he was some sort of trinket. Oh the indignity, I wish I could scream out and drop this facade. I'd pull you apart and rewire you! Don't leave me here again!... can want to go to the party... please.


I'll be right here...


She opens the front door, then takes one last look around before exiting and locking the door behind her with one of her little gadgets. Oh, but I know the reason you lock down and shut in. We wouldn't want anypony finding your little secrets. I'll always know you better that anypony else... you made me love you, and for that I'll always hate you.



mother dear.



Binary looked up at the clear night sky as she made her way to Sugarcube Corner. With all her plans having kept her busy her busy for the majority of her time, she had not taken the opportunity to simply walk around the town without some agenda.

She stepped onto a small bridge arched over stream. She stopped for a moment and looked over the side and looked at her reflection in the softly flowing water. It was hard to imagine how she had changed in the short time she had been in the town. Remnants of the scared, confused unicorn were still there, but she could feel a new confidence she had never felt. A small frown came to her face as the thought of leaving the pleasant little town took center stage in her mind. She owed more to them than she could express. She would fondly remember the librarian, the apple farmer, and even the strange pink pony; and deep down, she hoped they would miss her too, even if she had only been a mere visitor in there lives for a little less than two weeks.

“We're going to be late” Chip said from within Binary's pocket.

“Yeah, I'm just soaking it all in, ya know” she responded.

“Could we possibly soak it all in later?” Chip asked.

Binary rolled her eyes “Fine” she said before continued on toward Sugar Cube corner. She quickly approached the bakery. She took notice of the lack of activity around the building. She had never had much experience with parties, but she could assume that there should at least be some sort of loud obnoxious sound. She stepped up to the entrance and listened at the door, but could not hear anything more than murmurs “I can barely hear anything. Do you think we're too late, or maybe we're too early”

“I am one hundred percent positive that we are here at the appropriate time. Just go inside” Chip replied from Binary's pocket.

“Yeah, you're right... I just wonder how many ponies will be in there” she said as she held an ear up to the door.

“Well if it will make you feel better. You could slide me under the door and I'll get a head count” he suggested.

Binary pulled Chip's disc out of one of her many pockets, placed it on the ground, then slid it under the door enough for Chip to see inside.

Chip peered into the bakery, but saw nopony. There was plenty of party supplies. Balloons, games, a welcome to Ponyville banner.

“Umm... Binary” said Chip.

“What's wrong?” she asked as she pulled his disc back.

“Well... you know how we decided to leave this town..” he began.

“It's a welcome party, isn't it?” she asked.

“Yes” replied Chip.

A blank expression came to Binary's face “This is going to be awkward”

“So what are we going to do?” he asked.

Binary expression turned to a quivering look of determination. She straightened her neck and narrowed her eyes.

“We're going in” she said as she reached forward and pushed the door open. She stepped inside and as she expected, a crowd of ponies suddenly emerged from their hiding places.

“Welcome to Ponyville” the ponies cheered.

Binary cringed as she heard the words, but she stood her ground. She looked for a familiar face to go clear up the situation with before things really got going. She spotted Twilight and Applejack behind the bulk of the crowd, but it would seem rude to push through the crowd to get to them.

Pinkie Pie suddenly leaped out from behind the crowd.

“Hey Binary! Even though it's a little late, get ready for the best welcome bash you've ever...” Pinkie paused as she took note of Binary's less than enthused expression.

“Um... well, it's just that... well, ya see...” she stammered quietly “I was actually planning on leaving town soon... tomorrow”

Pinkie placed a hoof over Binary's mouth “Shh... it's okay, I prepared for this” Pinkie said before she turned to face the crowd “Okay, little mix up everypony. Instead of the greatest welcome party of all time, we're gonna need to do a 180 and makes this the best farewell party of all time”

The crowd of ponies began to murmur among themselves. Nervous sweat began to fall from Binary's forehead. After a moment or two, the ponies returned to their happy, party ready state. After all, a party was still a party.

Binary smiled, relieved that the issue had been resolved so easily. Her courage had paid off and she had at least one more night left with the pleasant Ponyville folk. However the lighthearted feeling was fleeting and Binary quickly became nervous again as the crowd of ponies all moved forward to greet her while at the same time bidding her farewell.

After a few minutes, Binary managed to slip away from the crowd. She made her way to Twilight and Applejack and the three sat at a table in far a corner as the other ponies began to party the night away.

45 minutes later...



“So have ya put any thought into where you're gonna go” Applejack asked Binary.

“Well, I have a few ideas, but mainly I just need to go somewhere I can get some help producing everything” she replied

“You should probably head somewhere with a bit more traffic.” said Twilight “Word of mouth can help spread news, but in Ponyville it's more or less a bubble of local information”

“A part of me really wishes I could just stay here” said Binary as she looked down at the table..

“It's easy to stay where you're comfortable, but you could be missing out on a huge opportunity” said Applejack.

“What does Chip think about all this?” asked Twilight.

“I'm not really sure. Before I came here he'd probably have want me to go back to the hill. But things have been changing, I mean look at him over there” she said as she pointed towards another table where Chip was currently speaking with Spike “He's willingly talking to someone without me. I'm not really sure why he'd do that”

“Well, maybe he's just becoming more social, like you have” said Twilight.

Binary let out a small groan as she looked down at the table.



“So... she dunked a little metal pony into a bath tub... to kill it?” Spike asked in a hushed voice.

“Yes... or, at least that's what happened in the dream, or maybe it was a hologram” Chip replied.

“That's a lot to take in...” said Spike as he thought on the subject “Or it could be very little if it turns out it didn't happen at all”

“That's my dilemma, I figured you might be able to give me some advice, assistant to assistant” said Chip.

“Well... you're kind of putting me on the spot here” said Spike as he nervously scratched the back of his head “Uh... do you have any proof that's what actually happened?”

Chip looked away, then replied “I found a metal body and it had signs of water damage”

“Oh boy. Uh, have you tried talking to Binary about it?” Spike asked.

“Yes, I confronted her about it, but I could tell there was something she was holding back” Chip replied.

Spike leaned in towards Chip and whispered “Are you scared?”

“No. I just worry that if I press the matter further then it may put a strain on our friendship. But then I look back at our supposed friendship and see more examples of a servant master relationship than anything else... I just couldn't see it until now”

“Well I know how that feels” Spike said as he crossed his arms “Sometimes it can seem your an assistant first and friend second. Actually me and you are a lot alike”

“I don't see how” Chip said “I'm a program modeled after a pony, you're a dragon raised by them”

“Yeah, but we'd both rather be here with them, right? Spike asked.”

“You fail to see what I mean. You are a dragon, you have your own kind that you could join if you wanted to, but choose not to. I am the only thing like me, and I have no other options. I feel like I'm cornered”

“Well, I feel for ya Chip. But I'm not really sure if I can help. Has talking about it made ya feel any better?” Spike asked.

“Yes, a little bit” he replied “Thank you for taking the time to listen to Spike”

“Hey we assistants gotta look out for each other. Now why don't we try to get your mind off your troubles, it is a party after all” Spike said in attempt to lighten the mood.

“This would usually be the part of the conversation where I'd say I couldn't feel the same amusement as you. But as of late that logic seems false. So sure lets give it a go” said Chip.

Spike smiled as he picked up Chip's disc and began to list off activities “So we've got bobbing for apples, pin the tail on the pony, card games, dancing”

“Uh... lets start with something small scale... cards maybe” Chip said.

“Oh sure we'll go get a deck from Pinkie Pie” Spike said as he walked off to find the pink mare.



Binary watched the two out of the corner of her eye as Twilight and Applejack's friend Rarity gave her opinion on Binary's situation.

“Well if you were to ask me, I'd say to go to Manehatten” Rarity said confidently as she levitated a drink towards herself “Are you listening to me?” Rarity asked with a hint of annoyance.

Binary focused her attention back to Rarity and replied “Oh yeah... but why would that place you said be a good idea”

“Well as Twilight and Applejack explained you're trying to find someone to mass produce your products. Manehatten is a wellspring of wealthy business ponies looking for the next big thing, and that could be one of your gadgets” Rarity said before taking a sip from her drink.

“Hmm... you wouldn't happen to know anypony there who would be interested in my gadgets?” Binary asked.

“Unfortunately no, my contacts are strictly in the fashion world. But I'm sure you'd be able to find somepony if you look hard enough” said Rarity

“Well, thanks anyway... sorry about the other day” she said apologetically.

“Lets just both try to forget about that, shall we” Rarity said “For now lets just enjoy this leisure time. You'll probably have a big day ahead of you tomorrow”

“Right now I wish tomorrow would hurry up and get here” said Binary. The partying mood was quickly slipping away from her. She looked at a clock on the wall and saw that she had already been a little over an hour since she arrived “Uh... I think I might head home soon” she said to Rarity

“Already” Rarity said “But the parties only just begun”

“I just have a lot on my mind right now. I think I'll just go around and say some goodbyes”

“You better make those a see you later, darling” Rarity said encouragingly “You most likely have not seen the last of all of us yet”

Binary gave a slight nod in response. She looked back to the table Chip was at. The A.I and the dragon were currently playing a card game along with two others ponies. Binary raised an eye brow in response, unsure of what to make of the situation. She walked over to the table and stared at the group from a few feet away.

Chip looked up from his cards for a moment and looked toward the observer.

“Would you like to play?” Chip asked.

“No, I'll just watch” she replied as she took a few steps closer “What are you playing?” she said as she peered over Chip's shoulder.

“Some card game” Chip replied.

“The little blue guys got quite the poker face...” said a red pony with a spiky black mane at the other end of the table “or lack thereof... what I'm meaning to say is it's effective”

“I actually find this enjoyable” said Chip “There's no real way to guarantee a victory, it's all just what cards by chance”

“Hmm... well do you want to get going after this game?” she asked Chip.

“What? We just got here” he replied.

“Well I just thought, ya know, we don't want to be tired for tomorrow” said Binary.

“I don't get tired. You go home if you want, I'll get sompony to drop me off later” he replied as he moved the cards closer to himself.

“Come on Chip. What could you possibly do here by yourself?” she asked.

“More than I could do at home with you” Chip shot back.

“Um... Binary, I could take Chip back home later” said Spike.

“Thanks, but we really should be going” Binary said as she picked up Chip's disc.

The sudden upward motion caused Chip to drop his cards, revealing a winning hand.

“Aw nuts I fold” said the red pony.

“Binary, I was going to win, I was on a roll” Chip protested.

“Oh come on Chip you could probably tell what everypony had in there hands” she said.

The two other ponies let out a collective grunt of annoyance before they quickly moved to a different table.

“Come on guys we were just playing for pretzels” said Spike.

“Put me down” Chip said raising his voice “I'm not ready to go yet”

“Look, the longer you stay here the more likely someone is to spill something on you or something” she said dismissively”

“That could happen whether you're here or not” Chip said as his disc began to heat up.

“All the more reason to leave” she grumbled.

“Come on guys don't fight, this is supposed to be a party” Spike interjected.

“Let go of me!” Chip yelled as his disc quickly began to glow red from overheating.

“Ow!” Binary yelled as the disc burnt her hoof, attracting the attention of the other party goers.

Binary dropped Chip to the table. She scowled at Chip and raised her hoof into the air; she froze as she saw the other ponies watching her. She slowly lowered her hoof as she looked around at the judging faces.

“Bring him back to me when he's ready to come home” she said to Spike as she walked away “Thanks for the party everypony, it's been real nice meeting all of you” she said as she made her way to the door and left without another word.

“You okay buddy” Spike asked Chip.

Chip hesitated for a moment before he answered “Y-yeah... now lets try this pin the tale on the pony thing I keep hearing about”



Binary quickly made her way back home.

“This is not what I needed right now. Another stupid thing to throw on the pile of stupid things I already need to worry about” she muttered under breath as she approached her house “This place has been good for me, but it's awful for him... it's good I'm leaving before this gets out of hoof”

She stepped up onto the porch and entered her home without breaking her stride. She quickly ascended the stairs, but paused as she reached the top. Her ears flicked around as she focused on the sound of water dripping. Binary's expression turned cross as she barreled into the bathroom and harshly turned the nobs on the sink. She stared intensely at the faucet, waiting for another drop to dare to drip out. Binary released the nobs and let out a small huff. Her eyes went wide as yet another dripping sound pierced through the silence. She turned to see several small drips falling from the bathtub faucet. Her left eye twitched with every drop. She grimaced as she stepped toward the tub.

“That's not gonna happen again” she said as she placed a hoof on the knob and turned it “I'm not like that anymore” the knob snapped off in her hoof. She dropped the knob into the tub, then looked at her hoof shaking from frustration. She looked to the mirror and was taken aback by the angry face she saw staring back at her. Her expression softened.

“I just don't understand why this is happening. Is it me?” she asked herself.

A knock at the door grabbed her attention.

“Just go away” she said softly.


The knocking persisted for the next thirty seconds or so until a voice finally called out “Binary, are you in there?”

Binary recognized the voice as that of Twilight Sparkle. It suddenly occurred to her that she had not given a proper farewell. She quickly made her way downstairs. She opened the front door to see Twilight as she had expected. Twilight wore a friendly look of concern as she stood staring at Binary.

“Sorry I didn't say goodbye” said Binary as she looked down at the ground.

“Are you going to be okay?” asked Twilight.

“Oh... so you heard that little spat at the party. That was nothing” she said casually.

“That's not what I mean. Binary, I'm not sure how your relationship with Chip has been before you came here, I can only guess you've gotten along up until now. But you and Chip are both changing and growing, you're finding things that you don't like about each other, and I don't think either of you know how to deal with that”

“So, friends have disagreements, isn't that supposed to be healthy?” she asked.

“Well, yes. No friendship is without struggle and compromise” she replied “But I worry what will happen if you two keep moving apart as you move forward” You can move on from all this, but Chip can't... or at least I don't know how he would”

Binary looked around then motioned for Twilight to come closer.

“Can I tell you a secret?” Binary whispered.

Twilight nodded.

“He can't.” she said quietly “I've built fail safes into him so he can't do anything bad. If he goes to far out they'll snap him back into a happy place, so everything will turn out fine. Tonight was just a little hiccup” she said with a happy nod.

Twilight stepped back and observed the oddly gleeful expression on Binary's face.

“You know, the more you tell me about all this the less it seems like a friendship” said Twilight.

“But I need him” said Binary.

“Do you?” Twilight asked.

Binary caught herself before she replied “I-I don't want to talk about this anymore” she replied as she looked away from Twilight.

“Okay. So did you decide where you're going to go?” asked Twlight.

“Yeah” she replied, perking up a bit “Your friend made Manehatten sound like it might be my best bet”

“Well as long as you have a plan. Good Luck Binary” Twilight said.

“Thanks, for everything. This town was the perfect place to ease my way back into the world” she said.

“Well you were only here for two weeks, maybe you just weren't as far gone as you thought” said Twilight.

“Maybe... no, I think I was pretty bad” she replied jokingly “Um... I don't suppose I could get a goodbye hug?” Binary asked as she reached out a front leg.

Twilight gave a warm smile and stepped closer and the two wrapped each other in a friendly embrace.

“I'm gonna miss you and Applejack” Binary said as her eyes began to water.

“If things don't work out you can always come back here” Twilight said as she released Binary and took a step back “Well, goodbye Binary” Twilight said before she turned and stepped down from the porch and walked off into the town.

Binary stood in silence, not knowing what to do next. Part of her wished to simply go to bed and rest for the journey ahead, but yet she felt an odd compulsion to await Chip's return as a show of friendship. But why; was she not the one who had been wronged, the one who had been hurt and embarrassed.

Binary thought back to what Twilight had said, about how she needed Chip. Was it still true?

Either way, Binary stayed outside until Spike returned with Chip.