• Published 9th Apr 2014
  • 756 Views, 32 Comments

Equestria: Agents of S.C.A.L.E - Insanecrusader



A newly industrialized Equestria gets some extra beef in its defense

  • ...
3
 32
 756

Chapter Six: The 22:30 to Fillydelphia

Chapter Six: The 22:30 to Fillydelphia

Location: “H.M.S Ascension”, three miles off Equestrias’ West Coast.

H.M.S Ascension was the name of the ship that Stormcloud found himself on, it was the largest in Equestrias’ newly formed Navy. The ship had been commissioned by Princess Twilight Sparkle herself not long after Tireks’ uprising, but construction had only finished a few days ago. Ascension was a ‘Carrier’ class; one of two, this meant that planes and newly designed helicopters could take off and land. Not only could it launch aircraft into the sky it could also store them in the hangar deck where Stormcloud had awoken the previous day.

H.M.S Ascension was one of four ships that was dedicated to a Princess, the others were “H.M.S Heart of Gold”; the other carrier of the fleet, “H.M.S Solar Sailor” and “H.M.S Lunar Eclipse”. The Solar Sailor and Lunar Eclipse were both ‘Battleship’ class ships and contained more guns than the two carriers. There were other ships in the fleet but these four were the names that most ponies knew.

Stormcloud had been allocated a room on the port-side of the ship, the room was small which was to be expected. The room only contained; two cots, two footlockers and one larger chest. As Stormcloud had been up late on his mission he’d been allowed to rest during the next day, this unfortunately meant that he hadn’t met his bunkmate. It also meant he’d missed breakfast when he awoke in the late morning. As he cleaned himself up for the new day, he yearned for some food and thought he better try to find the galley.

***

For a ship commissioned by Twilight Sparkle, there were no maps anywhere that Stormcloud went. He searched along the narrow metal corridors but was unsuccessful in finding any information telling him where to go. The only fact that Stormcloud could gain was that some doors required specific clearance levels, these were indicated by large numbers painted onto the doors themselves. As he continued searching he found new emblems painted onto the doors. He was unsure what they meant but he slowly deduced that only ponies with specific jobs could enter these areas regardless of clearance.

One such example he saw was a door with a ‘6’ painted on, beside this was a wrench emblem. After a few minutes a pony passed him, the stallion wore a lanyard around his neck with a large ‘4’ on it, this pony was able to open the door with ease by using the scanner beside the large door. It unlocked and swung open and then slammed shut behind him. Stormcloud then tried to open the door, but it wouldn’t budge for him.

Eventually Stormcloud found his way to the galley but to his disappointment, lunch would not be served for another half an hour. He chose to wander the ship and learn the routes he was allowed to take and where he wasn’t authorised to go. After the half hour passed Stormcloud felt he was able to successfully navigate a small portion of the large ship, at the very least he could now get to his bunk and the galley. As Stormcloud began his lunch an earth pony sat beside him; the stallion had cream-coloured fur, brown eyes and a shaggy black mane. He was wearing a black polo shirt that had the S.C.A.L.E insignia over the breast pocket, he offered Stormcloud a hoof.

“Agent Duke Hazzard, I’m your bunk-mate.”

“Oh… I’m Cirrus Stormcloud” he shook his hoof, “nice to meet you.”

“I know who you are, Agent Coltson is my handler as well.”

“Handler?”

“My boss for want of a better word… Yours too from what he’s told me. Hoofpicked, quite impressive for somepony so new to the programme.”

Stormcloud could detect the genuine admiration in his voice, but beneath that were some tones of doubt. Agent Hazzard was clearly a pony who had been with S.C.A.L.E for a long time, the earth pony was also of a stockier build than Stormcloud. This most likely meant that Hazzard had been in the military or a labour intensive job before.

“So as we’re bunkmates, we should probably talk about ourselves?” Stormcloud suggested.

“Pfft, that formality, we’re with S.C.A.L.E all that should matter to you is getting the job done!”

Stormcloud had met ponies like this before, typically former Royal Guards or smaller regiments. These were ponies who’d seen combat a lot and had witnessed loss before, they ended up having a tendency to forego personal connections.

It was then that Agent Hazzard broke into a bellowing laugh, a few ponies nearby turned to stare at him. Hazzard continued laughing and rapped his forehooves against the table.

“You should’ve seen the disappointment in your face kid.” Hazzard wiped a tear from his eye.

“Well I thought-”

“Kid, I used to work private security, did that since I was a teenager. Few years after that I joined the 4th Solar Regiment and served six tours in the Griffin Wars. When they ended, I was kept as a reserve, I worked in demolitions for a short while until Nightmare Moon returned. After that I was recalled into service where I served up until Tireks’ uprising. When the new Princess defeated him I was asked to join S.C.A.L.E.”

Stormcloud took a bite of his food before Hazzard continued.

“What about you?” Hazzard asked taking a bite of his own.

“Well… I mostly grew up in Fillydelphia and joined the weather team.”

Hazzard looked at him in confusion.

“Weather team? Doesn’t seem to fit with a secret agent” he said.

“You’d probably be right, when it comes to things like fighting I have a more technical, strategical approach. Unicorns like me are made more for the thinking than the pure horsepower for fighting. I excelled in weather manipulation and I got my cutie mark ‘cause of it.

“Okay, but what does that have to do with anything?

“It means…” Stormcloud tapped his hoof on his head, “I’ve got a lot more brains than I do brawns” he smirked feeling good about himself.

Hazzard laughed.

“You sure are cocky, kid” now it was his time to smirk.

Stormcloud knew he was holding something back.

“And?...”

Hazzard was chuckling now.

“But brains aren't bulletproof.”

Stormcloud laughed.

“I know, I joined the Royal Guard before the Changeling Invasion, I wanted to follow in my dad’s hoofsteps and join the military.”

Hazzards’ expression changed.

“Where were you stationed?” he said in a stern tone.

Stormcloud had walked right into this one, Stormcloud dropped his good humour.

“Canterlot initially, after the Changeling Invasion I took some personal time and rejoined. I was stationed at Buckingham after that.”

“You saw action in Canterlot?”

Stormcloud paused, fours years had passed and Canterlot was still hard to to talk about.

“Yes.”

“I feel for you kid, I really do.”

From then on, the two ate in silence, Stormcloud was thankful for the quiet but thoughts stirred in his mind.

***

After a few days aboard the Ascension Stormcloud was called to the briefing room, luckily Stormcloud had discovered where this room was and was easily able to find it. Over the past few days everypony had expected very little from him, so he’d chosen to spend his days in the gymnasium on the lower deck. He’d spent his time there working on his speed and telekinesis powers. The call to the briefing room had come as a surprise to him.

As Stormcloud entered the briefing room he saw that a few ponies were already here. The room was square in design; contained a simple square table in the centre, chairs lined the table and at the head, was a computer screen with the S.C.A.L.E insignia rotating around. Out of the four ponies in the room, Stormcloud only recognised Agents Coltson and Hazzard; he sat between them in an empty chair. As he sat down the door behind him opened again and everypony went silent.

Director Twilight Sparkle entered the room and everypony turned to look at her, she marched with determination to the head of table and stood in front of the computer screen. She used her magic to tap at the keyboard located within the table and the screen behind her changed to a building that looked like a bomb had gone off. Twilight stepped to the side so everypony could see the screen, she then swished her tail, fluttered her wings out and then took a deep breath.

“Listen up everypony!” She said in a stern tone once she’d composed herself.

“A few days ago, The Order successfully managed to infiltrate a S.C.A.L.E safe house and steal an asset of ours...”

“Who are The Order?” Stormcloud whispered to Coltson.

“An extremist mercenary group who believe that the Princesses should not hold power over Equestria.” Coltson whispered back quickly.

He then snapped his attention back to Twilight and Stormcloud thought it best to follow suit.

“Our sources aren’t clear..” Twilight continued, “but it is very likely that Arrow Head is behind this. What we know for definite is that The Order have booked three carriages on the twenty-two-thirty to Fillydelphia. We believe they’ll likely be holding our asset with one of these two carriages and have mercenaries scattered throughout the train. Coltson as the highest ranking agent here, you’ll be leading the ground team on a Search and Retrieve mission.”

Coltson stood up and moved to where Twilight Sparkle was standing, at that moment Twilight made to leave the room but not before she whispered something to Coltson. Coltson nodded in reply and stood at the head of the table, he used the magic from his horn to alter the computer screen behind him. The image changed from the house to what looked like a blueprint of Canterlot station. Stormcloud thought it was quite odd to see a blueprint of the newly built Canterlot station, only a few years ago Canterlot was a one platform station.

Coltson levitated a few sheets of paper over to each pony, the first consisted of the profile of a pony; Arrow Head. The second was a smaller blueprint of Canterlot station, the print showed the eight platforms; three terminus style platforms and five through platforms. The plan showed the full extent of the building including all the doors on the small shops located in the concourse. Stormcloud was fairly confident he’d be able to navigate the station as he’d been in Canterlot a lot.

“Okay listen up” Coltson began, “this is a covert mission so we’ll be in plain clothes, this also means we’ll have no weapons and no external support. Each of you have tickets for the train all of which are in separate carriages.”

Coltson levitated over the train tickets, they were rectangular with a perforated section which was given to the inspector on the train, other than that the tickets were plain white and contained the details of the journey. As Stormcloud turned to face Coltson again, he noticed Coltson was levitating an odd blueprint. The blueprint was of the station, but this one was large in design; nearly the entire length of the table. Coltson levitated it onto the table.

“Move your stuff.” Agent Hazzard whispered to him.

Stormcloud levitated his documents off the table as Coltson draped the transparent blueprint over the table. Then Coltson pressed a button at his end of the table and suddenly a 3D model of Canterlot station appeared in the centre of the table. Agent Hazzard pushed Stormclouds’ jaw shut. Above the projection of Canterlot station a clock appeared showing the time as twenty-two-hundred; half an hour before the train left. Five dots of light appeared at the front door of the station, beside the clock the names of the Agents appeared in their respective colour; Stormcloud was orange.

“At twenty-two hundred myself and Agent Stormcloud will enter the station, we’ll spend approximately four minutes checking the timetable, at that point Agents Hazzard and Sabre will enter carrying the relay. The relay will allow us to remain in communication on the journey, you two will check this into the mail carriages. This will take you most of the time so you’re to head straight onto the train after that. From the timetable Stormcloud and I will head to the branch of Star-Bucks. Agent Stripes you’ll enter the station at twenty-two-twenty-five, you’ll then run for the train and make out that you’re a late-runner.”

As Coltson explained this the dots on the model followed the intended paths, the timer counted down as he explained this too. The design was quite intricate, to a passing pony they’d never guess that the Agents were there, they were acting like normal ponies with normal problems. There were two ponies; friends who were arriving early and grabbing coffee and talking about their lives. Two more ponies perhaps on business; they’d be booking in their luggage and boarding the train. Then there was the late runner, the one pony who’d be moving fast to get where they’d need to be and nopony would bat an eye.

“The train is nine coaches long, the front three will be the TPO…” Coltson looked to Stormcloud, “Travelling Post Office.” He said for clarity.

Stormcloud simply nodded.

“Mail coaches would’ve been easier to say.” He thought.

“Behind these are the two booked out by The Order, an hour into the trip we’ll be making our way up to these coaches, we’ll need to incapacitate any Order members quietly. Which is why two of us we’ll be wearing these.”

Coltson levitated up two pairs of glasses, they looked like ordinary glasses; clear lenses and thick, black frames.

“As some of you will know these glasses are connected up to S.C.A.L.Es’ criminal database, we’ll be using these to determine Order members. Once we’ve made our way up to the Order coaches we’ll then infiltrate the coaches and recover our asset. As you know Arrow Head is highly dangerous and is an expert in firearm use. There’s no doubt he’ll use lethal force on us which is why we’ll be throwing in sleep grenades. Once we secure Arrow Head, we’ll move forward into the TPO coaches, I’ll then load the asset into the TPO apparatus. The good news is that the trains’ first drop is at Ponyville so a S.C.A.L.E Agent will be expecting our delivery. Our mission time is three hours and failure is not an option. Any questions?”

“Yes, what about our extraction?” The earth pony named Stripes asked.

“The steam engine will change at Baltimare station, we’ll use that window to escort Arrow Head from the train to a safehouse, as far as we’re concerned, that’s our mission.” Coltson replied.

Stormcloud looked at the profile of Arrow Head.

_______________________________________________

Name:

Arrow Head, “The Redskined Pony”

Physical description:

Dark yellow coat, reddish-orange mane and tail. Cutie mark is that of three arrow heads. Bullet wound on left foreleg near the base of the shoulder.

Race: earth pony

Known Associates:

High ranking member of The Order, Cloud Former (Deceased), Hijinx (Detained).


Previous Occupation:

Special Operations Unit of Equstrian Army, Soldier Number. 567

Crimes:

Wanted on account of a Capitol degree murder.
Tried and found guilty with attempting a Royal assassination.
Murder on multiple counts.
Conspiracy to commit murder on multiple counts.
One charge of ponyslaughter.
Evading arrest on multiple counts.
Escaping from Prison twice.

Mental Profile:

Arrow Head is proficient in use of firearms and has been known to use them without warning. Dishonourably discharged for insubordination, Arrow Head has formed a hatred of the Royal Sisters and their subordinates, including S.C.A.L.E. Most likely suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and had been reported with “twitchy hoof” Arrow Head should be approached with caution.

Current Status:

R.E.D (Approach with caution).

__________________________________________

Stormcloud winced as he came across the last line on the profile.

***

Location: Canterlot Railway Station

Stormcloud and Coltson entered the large building throughs its ornate glass doors, the sight within was just as impressive as the exterior. Before them was a large black board held aloft, the board itself was littered with orange lights making words and times for ponies to read. There was quite a number of ponies around the station even at an hour this late, a few pegasi were hovering in front of the board to read their desired train time. Stormcloud and Coltson both walked up to the board they were immediately surrounded by groups of benches of which a few had ponies perched on top.

Stormcloud looked up at the board the writing was in a simple electronic font. The board was split into sections each containing two lines of text. The first line had the departure times for the trains followed by its final destination, below it was a stream of scrolling text; this showed all the stations the train called out. At the end of both lines of text was a large number indicating the platform.

“We are sorry to announce that the…. oh-ten-fifteen service to...Manehatten has been delayed by approximately… six minutes.” A feminine electronic voice rang out across the main hall.

Coltson had adorned a simple green turtle-neck and wore blue trousers, it occurred to Stormcloud that he’d never seen Coltsons’ cutie mark. Stormcloud himself had simple opted to forego any clothing in reality no-pony would really notice, it was common of pony-folk in large cities to wear clothing at all times and also common for ponies to not wearing clothing. Coltson checked the departure board and then headed to the station branch of Star-Bucks.

***

At the main entrance two more ponies entered the station building, between them they carried a huge trunk, it was brown in colour and looked a little worn around the edges. A unicorn porter had seen the pair enter and levitated a square device over to them. The device was small and made from box-sections of steel, on each of the four corners was a wheel. The two Agents lowered their load onto the box and thanked the unicorn, they then proceeded to move the box to the luggage check in.

“Sweet Celestia, what exactly is in this box it feels like we’re pushing a pony around.” Agent Hazzard complained.

“Ugh!.. Stop talk… more push.” Agent Sabre grunted as she pushed forcefully with her head.

The earth pony and the pegasus mare continued to push their heavy load to the luggage check-in. Both of them wore no clothing and this revealed their cutie marks; a scroll for Agent Sabre and a dagger for Agent Hazzard. The load they were carrying was incredibly heavy, the box contained a portable radio set up, this would allow the agents to communicate while on the train. It would be handled by the station staff and loaded into either the guards’ carriage or the mail carriages of the train.

The two ponies reached the luggage check-in and a pegasus mare smiled at the two of them.

“Going away for a long weekend?” The pegasus porter asked.

“Yes, we’ve been working hard of late, thought a nice romantic weekend away would be good.” Agent Hazzard replied.

The tone in which he declared this false story would put many stallions to shame, there was utter confidence in his tone and Agent Sabre couldn’t help but blush. Agent Sabre or Red Sabre as she was better known. Red Sabre was a blue-ish grey in colour and had a crystal white mane in a jagged style which she took after her cousin; Cloud Chaser.

“So did you pack this bag yourself?” The porter pony asked.

“Yes we did.” Agent Sabre replied.

The porter pony signalled for two unicorns to come over, the two of them lifted the trunk onto a metal scale. The hand moved around and the pegasus made a note.

“Where about are you two heading?” She asked.

“We've got a nice B and B to stay at in Fillydelphia, overlooks the beach.”

“Definitely sounds romantic. That’ll be thirty-six bits for your trunk” the pegasus replied.

“Honey, could you fetch them out of my saddlebags please.” Agent Hazzard cooed.

Agent Sabre lifted the flap with her wing and dug her head in to retrieve the bag of bits, they hoofed over the correct amount of bits. The pegasus then placed a sticker on the trunk and then the two unicorns took the trunk to the train. Agents Hazzard and Sabre stood for a moment and then followed the unicorns to the train.

“Is there actually a B and B in Fillydephia?” Agent Sabre asked in a sultry tone.

“Yes there is, its got a nice view but I’m really only there for the mares.” Hazzard teased.

Sabre blushed as the two stepped through the metal turnstile.

***

From across the main hall, Stormcloud watched as the two ponies struggled, part of him wanted to help but he knew he couldn't. Instead Coltson placed a large hot coffee down in front of him.

“Drink up, you’ll need it.” He said and began to down his drink.

Stormcloud was quietly impressed as his mentor continued to pour hot liquid down his own throat and not falter. The two sat at one of the tables that could be called al-fresco as it was outside the actual store but within the station premises. Stormcloud levitated over a few of that days’ newspapers he flicked through them

“Equestria Daily, Daily Bugle, Neigh York Times, Hoofington Post. You know I actually can’t be bothered now.”

He tossed them to the side a little bit disappointed at the selection. Coltson looked around at the architecture and then focused on Stormcloud.

“So why’d join S.C.A.L.E?” He asked in a low voice.

“My dad has always been a rough ‘n’ tough kind of stallion. He worked for the Royal Air Guard in Canterlot. While he and I never saw eye-to-eye, after working for my towns’ weather team I wanted to follow him in his hoofsteps.” Stormcloud took a swig of the hot beverage.

“Weather team? You must be very talented in magic in order to perform that kind of manipulation.” Coltson grinned

“Yes, I've always been fond of magic. My dad however... thought differently.” Stormcloud sighed.

“You two didn't get along?” Coltson said with a perplexed look.

“No no, we got along… We just saw the world in two completely different ways. He saw the world for its many flaws, never the good. I thought differently, he could never truly accept it, but he still cared for me the best way he could.”

“I can see why your dad was so defensive.” Coltson took a sip of his coffee, “when there are so many unorthodox ponies out there and such heinous criminals, it can be hard to see the few that are good. Some may still seem different but that is only one in a million!”

Coltsons’ voice broke in the last sentence so cleared his throat and settled again.

“Your dad was only trying to protect you from what he saw… I’m sure of that…”

“I guess you may be right, Sir.”

There was a pause for a while as time passed, neither pony spoke as their coffee’s cooled and were eventually drank.

“What’s the deal with Thunderer?” Stormcloud asked after a while.

“What do you mean?” Coltson replied as he sipped his coffee.

“He works for S.C.A.L.E but he isn’t an Agent, he must have a story…”

“Thunderer is… well unique. He’s committed crimes but he seems to have either lost his memory or is pretending to have lost it. S.C.A.L.E found him locked in Tartarus before S.C.A.L.E took ownership. Thats’ when we found out about his brain, although he has no memories before the Changeling invasion fours years ago. His mind is… well I suppose you’d call it technologically advanced. The very first interview I had with him he was able to explain how to create electricity by passing a copper wire through a magnet.”

“So he’s kept on because he’s smart?”

“That’s one reason yes, the others… well they’re classified.” Coltson lifted his cup to see if any liquid remained inside it.

“Surely he has a family?”

There was a pause as Coltson looked deep in thought.

“We weren't able to find any, Thunderer was in the epicenter of the changeling invasion when he was found, after that he was arrested by Princess Luna. All S.C.A.L.E knows is that he was kept there for a week and then he was released with no charges against him. A month later Princess Cadence and Shining Armour returned from their honeymoon… that was when Cadence demanded he be rearrested.”

“Does he have any friends?” Stormcloud inquired, a look of disappointment crossing his face.

“The Princesses requested any information about him, but nopony came forward.”

“I’d like to see him…” Stormcloud said.

“Why?”

“He needs a friend.”

“Thunderer has never requested that, besides your clearance isn't high enough.”

Coltson looked at the clock that hung from the ceiling. It was time to go.

“I know your heart’s in the right place and being friends with Director Twilight Sparkle has probably influenced that.” Coltson continued, “Thunderer is a loner by nature, he’s adapted to confined cell with little interaction. If we get wind of him changing his demeanor then I will inform you, but we have a mission to complete and I want your A-game.”

The two ponies finished their conversation and with warm coffee in their stomachs they marched onward to the platform. The platforms were located behind the departure board, they were segregated by the large wall which could only be passed through turnstiles. Coltson led Stormcloud through the barrier which at this hour was only patrolled by one pony. The two unicorns levitated their tickets into the machine and once they’d stepped through the barrier they collected them on the other side.

The platforms were located under a great, glass ceiling the structure was convex from their position was constructed from steel and glass. There were two ceilings that met at a long wall in the centre, on either side lay all the platforms and some small shops that had closed for the night. Stormcloud and Coltson walked along the hoofbridge to their platform, as they walked Stormcloud could just make out the engine shed at the end of platforms. Even though it was dark Stormcloud could just make out the warm glow from the steam engine cabs.

Coltson drew Stormclouds’ attention and they both descended a set of stairs to the only platform with a train in it. The steam engine at the front was a Brunswick Green Equestria Class steam engine, directly behind it were the three Royal Mail carriages, behind them were a rake of seven blood and custard liveried carriages. Stormcloud watched as two porters loaded the heavy relay into the leading Royal Mail coach. Both of those ponies were unaware that the box they were loading contained S.C.A.L.E equipment. Another announcement sounded but it was barely audible over the hiss of the safety valve being lifted on the steam engine.

Coltson led him to the fifth coach in the set, as Coltson opened the door Stormcloud noticed a pony running along the hoofbridge; Agent Stripes. Stormcloud closed the door behind them with a slam and levitated the window up into its closed position. The coach they were located in was a corridor coach, this meant it had compartments lining one side compared to the open coaches which had tables and chairs their entire length. Coltson led Stormcloud from the vestibule along the narrow corridor and into the third compartment they came across, they were the only ponies in it. From outside a whistle sounded and then a much louder whistle sounded in reply. The train jerked ever so slightly and then began to slowly leave the station.

Stormcloud levitated open the tiny window at the top of the main window, he watched the train snake its way out of the station. Once the final coach left the station the train began to pick up speed, Stormcloud had read a few books on steam engines and he could hear the hiss and wheeze of the two outer cylinders. As the city lights began to become distance the steam engine broke into a bark and they rapidly picked up speed.

Stormcloud sat down in the chair as Coltson placed his special glasses on.

“Comm check.” Coltson said as he tapped his chest.

“Agent… Sabre… Reporting” Agent Sabre replied breathlessly.

“Agent Hazzard reading you loud and clear.”

“Agent Stripes in position, I have one confirmed sighting.”

“Agent Stripes sixty minute timer begins now, do not engage.”

“Yes Sir, understood.”

Coltson flicked his forehoof in front of his face and looked at his watch.

“Sixty minutes ‘til go time.”

Author's Note:

Authors Notes: ward282: So all the railway references are British, mainly because I know a lot of stuff about it, some links have been provided for your educational benefit. Also see if you can spot all the references!

There may be a test!

Go culture yourselves!

Insanecrusader: And don't forget me! more chapters on the way!

if its not insane, its not worth your time.