• Published 7th Apr 2014
  • 9,032 Views, 312 Comments

Cross my heart - Sarcastic Brony



Derpy and Anon are close friends, but, she can't fight the feeling of wanting to be more than just friends.

  • ...
40
 312
 9,032

Chapter Four

I look to the small bag of lunch in my mouth as I walk towards the schoolyard. I knew that something slipped my mind this morning during all the excitement. I forgot to give Dinky her lunch for the day. Good thing Mr. Express gave me that extra time. It took a few minutes to return home, make something, then walk it all the way to the schoolyard. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I should be arriving right as Ms. Cheerilee lets the foals out for lunch.

I hear the school bell go off in the distance. I pick up my pace slightly more, I wouldn't want my little muffin to starve. As I make my approach I see all the fillies and colts run out of the classroom in excitement. Each of them carrying their meals, either by mouth or magic. I stand by the sidelines and look around for any sign of Dinky. I see her exiting her class looking rather down.

I set her lunch on the ground.

“Dinky!” I call out.

She looks my way and brightens up considerably. She comes running over to me without pause.

“Mom! What are you doing here?” She asks excited.

“You forgot your lunch, Muffin.” I nuzzle her gently.

She blushes some. “Mom.” She groans playfully.

I giggle at her as she tries to pull away, but I sit on my rump and pull her close with my wings. She starts giggling as I nuzzle her more. I decide to let her go as she catches her breath. I then remember something important.

“I almost forgot to mention. Anon’s going to be picking you up from school today.” I tell her.

“Really?!” She says with a full blown smile.

I give a nod. “He is. So don't go anywhere till he comes by to pick you up.”

“Alright. Aren't you suppose to be at work?” Dinky asks.

I nuzzle her again. “I got a little extra time for lunch. So I made sure you got yours.”

I slowly start to stand back up, stumbling slightly as I try to center my hooves. I blush a bit at Dinky as I correct myself.

“I need to get back, Muffin. I’ll see you after work.” I tell her.

“Alright. Goodbye, mom.” The tone in her voice is a little down.

I nuzzle her once more. “Remember, wait for Anon.”

That seems to lift her spirits. “OK!”

I giggle again as I make my way back to the office. With that done I can now focus on all the work I have today.


“Mr. Express! What are you doing?!”

I quickly run to his side as I help support the large package on his back. When I came in a few moments ago I noticed him struggling to carry the thing.

“I’m perfectly fine, Derpy.” He says in labored breaths.

I scoff on the inside as I help him bring it to the wagon. As we set it down I notice that the entire wagon is almost filled!

“Mr. Express, what did I tell you about carrying packages!” I say with concern.

“I’m not an old stallion or a foal!” He yells in irritation.

“You know as well as I that you aren't supposed to be lifting packages anymore!” I let out a sigh. “The doctors said your back isn't as strong as it use to be.”’

Mr. Express rolls his eyes. “Doctors say lots of things. Barely any of it true.”

He has always been a stubborn pony. Without him though, Ponyville mail probably wouldn't exist.

“Still, you shouldn't be doing all this lifting. Where’s Speedy?” I ask.

“I sent him to Canterlot. We got an urgent message that he is taking care of.” Mr. Express tells me.

So without Speedy here. That just leave Mr. Express and I to deal with all this mail. Perhaps this would be the best time to ask.

“Mr. Express.” He looks up to me. “Have you ever thought about hiring more hooves?”

He raises a brow. “Why would I do that?”

I scuff my hoof on the ground a few times.

“Well, we’ve been getting a lot more business lately. Ponyville is starting to grow rather fast. Maybe having a few more ponies around here couldn't hurt?”

Mr. Express sits in thought, rubbing a hoof under his chin.

“Perhaps you’re right, Derpy. I guess we have been getting more customers lately. It seems as if we get ponies walking in every so often.” He gives a small thoughtful nod. “I’ll look in the books later and check the finances.” He then looks to the wagon. “Till then, lets get that wagon loaded and shipped off.”

He tries to get up but I quickly take a step in front of him.

“Oh, don't worry! I can handle the rest.” I say trying to get him to rest.

“No, no, no. I think I can manage a few more boxes.” He says as he walks over to a crate twice his size.

I just wince some as I watch him work the thing onto his back. The slow and restrained movements. I let out a sad sigh as I walk next to him. I press my back underneath the box as to help him lift it. I can already feel him about to protest but I beat him to the punch.

“It’ll go faster if I help.” I say.

I look over and see him give me a small nod. I shake my head again at how stubborn he can be at times. This isn't new at all. If anything this is a daily thing. I decide to focus on lifting a little more than he is, if only to spare him the extra load.


I flex my wings some as Mr. Express sits next to the wagon panting. It wasn't that heavy, but again, his doctors told him that he wasn't a young colt anymore.

“A-All, packed.” He says between breaths. He looks to me as he wipes the sweat from his brow. “Can you, deliver this?”

I give a nod. “Where to?”

He points his hoof towards the clipboard on the side of the wagon. I give a brief nod just before I walk over to see where this is all going. As I look to the sheet of parchment, I winch a little at the name I see. This is all meant for the library. That can only mean that this is an order from Twilight Sparkle. I feel my heart start to race a little as I think about that mare.

Never in my life have I wished for Speedy to be here right now. That would mean that I could go about sorting the mail or something else as he made the deliveries around town. It seems that this day is not my luckiest. I shake these feelings away. I’m a professional above all else. When I put on this uniform, I swore to deliver ponies mail. Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night!

These packages were no different. While I know it will be hard. In fact, i'm not too sure how I will deal with it. I just hope I can keep it together long enough to get the document signed and head on my way. I look over to Mr. Express.

“I’ll be back before you know it.” I tell him as I hitch myself to the wagon.

He gives me a wave as I start to pull the wagon along.


The post office isn't too far from the library. So I didn't need to pull the wagon that far. I park right out front and proceed to unhook myself. I look to the door and give myself a few moments to get myself together. Just gotta say calm and get the document signed. I walk up to the door with determination and quickly knock on it a few times.

The door opens widely, the sounds of light sobbing can be heard from inside. I look down slightly to see Spike standing there.

“Oh, Derpy!” He look behind me at the wagon. “Let me guess. More books?”

I nod as I reach my head to the small of my back and grasp the clipboard with my teeth, I swing it around to show him. He takes it into his claws and gives it a once over. He lets out a sigh.

“Can you help me bring these in?” Spike gives me a pleading look. “I think Twilight is a little, busy.”

“Sure.” I say as I nod my head over to the wagon.

He gives me a small smile as we walk over to the wagon. Spike climbs right in and grabs one of the many crates. For something so small, he could lift an impressive amount when he needs to. I follow his lead as I place a crate on my back and follow after him. He leads me inside and drops his crate in the center of the room. I feel my ears flick up towards Twilight’s room. A sound of sobbing can be heard as clear as day.

I don't linger as I follow Spike back out. I honestly don't know if I’m happy that I don't need to speak to Twilight or not. I do feel as if there is just something I need to get off my chest to her. I look to Spike unsure if I should pry. Maybe trying isn't so wrong.

“Is everypony alright in there?” I start gently.

Spike gives a hesitant nod. “Um, yeah. Everypony is fine.”

“Are you sure? I think I heard crying.” I try to push a little more.

Spike climbs back into the wagon and gets another crate. I can see him avoiding eye contact.

“Well..” He hesitates. “Just some stuff. Don't worry.” He says.


Seems he is tight lipped. Perhaps I can try and turn this in my favor somehow? I get another crate and follow him. As soon as we get into the library I decide to put my plan into action. I wobble a little more than usual and let the crate fall off me. A rather loud bang could be heard as it hits the ground. Spike looks to me with wide eyes.

“Are you alright?” He asks.

I act embarrassed as I rub my hoof on the back of my neck. “My bad.”

I feel my ears perk up when I notice that the sobbing is a little more quiet. This was my chance.

“You know Anon came to my place last night.” I say loud enough for Spike to hear, as well as Twilight if she is listening.

Spike freezes up as he looks to the ground some. The sound of sobbing instantly stops.

“He did?” He asks.

I nod. “He was a mess. Crying, didn't know what to do. I have no idea what set him off like that. He just asked to stay at my place for awhile.” I see Spike shift uncomfortably. “I thought he was living with Twilight?”

Spike gives a small frown. “He was.”

It seems that whatever Twilight did, Spike wasn't too happy with seeing Anon leave.

“There’s been talk around town. Something about a break up and Twilight being the issue.” I put a little more heat into my words than intended. “Um, I guess it really isn't any of my business, but Anon did come to me because of all this. What happened?” Perhaps beating around the bush isn't best.

That’s when I hear a door fly open. I look up to see Twilight standing there with tears in her eyes.

“What is it with ponies wanting to know about my business!”

I hold my ground as she descends her stairs and walks right up to me. She may think she is tough, being the best at magic. However, even magic has flaws. I could already feel my body flexing, ready for her to light her horn. It would only take one hit to her horn to stop her from casting. I grew up in the city, I knew how to fight all types of ponies. Spike however jumps in front of Twilight and stops her from getting too close.

“Twilight, snap out of it!” He yells in frustration.

Her eyes soften some as she looks down to Spike. I just hold my ground. My feathers ruffled and fur standing on edge. She looks back up to me with a certain apologetic look.

“I’m sorry, Derpy. I didn't mean to snap at you. It’s personal, alright.” She hangs her head in shame.

“It stopped being personal when Anon came to my home in the middle of the night a total wreck.” I shoot back.

She winces at that. “I’m sorry.” She says.

I need to calm down. I can't get in a fight while in uniform. Just calm down, no need to get angry. I can't lose this job. I take a few deep breaths and center myself. I look over to the table Spike sat the paperwork on.

“I need your signature, then I’ll be on my way.” I say mechanically.

She nods her head as she takes the clipboard and quickly signs it. I take it into my mouth and place it on my back. I watch as she lights her horn up and brings in all the crates at once. At least I didn't need to be here any longer. I quickly trot out and to the wagon. I start to process of hooking myself up to the thing. If I have to stay here any longer I knew I would regret it. I hear somepony approaching me as I finish the last hook.

I look over and see Twilight standing there.

“Can you do me a favor?” She asks.

“Maybe.” I say harshly.

She looks away. “Tell Anon how sorry I am. I didn't mean for this to happen.”

I give a dismissive nod as she returns to her library. I don't know if I should tell Anon that. If anything it just seems like Anon wants to forget about her. I let out a long sigh as I feel my body calm down. I really need to get control over these emotions. I can't afford to get into a fight while on the job. Not only that, I don't want to get hurt either. I never want Dinky to see her mother in such a state. I wince some at a few memories. I shake them away. I still have a job to do. The faster I work, the faster I can come home.


“We’re all done here.” Mr. Express says. “You can head on home.”

I give him a single nod. “Goodnight, Mr. Express.”

He returns the nod. “Goodnight, Derpy.”

I exit my workplace and walk down the road I have traveled more times than I can count. One hoof over the other and repeat. Making sure to take my steps carefully. I look up to the sky as the night starts to come. I wish I didn't have to work so late. I know Dinky doesn't complain, but I want to be there for her. I feel my thoughts die out as I remember Anon. At least he would be there for her today. She really adores him.

I return my focus to the road once again. I pick up the pace some as I head towards my home. I wouldn't want to keep them waiting.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the critical delay on this one guys. The whole Twilight interaction was something I wanted to get down perfectly. I didn't want it to break into a fight and I didn't want it to be ignored either. This version had the best mix in the entire thing. Hope you guys enjoy!

P.S: Warframe is fun. If you haven't played it, I suggest you do. Free to play on steam. (No pay to win either.)

P.P.S: Point out grammatical errors if you feel the need. I lost my current editor and decided to no longer use them. Most of them seem to bail out on my stories before they even get started anyways.