• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 2,868 Views, 113 Comments

Sparkyll and Hyde - Dragon Spire



Within every one of us, even the best of us, there is an essence of Good, and an essence of Evil. Twilight Sparkle will soon discover that there is a cost for tampering with the two essences

  • ...
12
 113
 2,868

Act I: Chapter Seven

Act I: Chapter Seven:
Repercussions

The train's steam engine hissed as Applejack stepped off the train. Cold sweat clinged to her face like dawn's dewdrops, which she proceeded to wipe off. Rarity stood beside her, wearing a frilly dress and holding a parasol in her aura to ward of the morning's heat. "Now, Applejack," said the fashionista, "I'm sure everything's fine." She nervously twirled the parasol, switching it over to her hoof. "Spikey just . . . worries too much, that's all."

"I don't think so," Applejack replied, "Spike ain't the kinda person t' write letters all willy-nilly. He had t' have written us because Twilight didn't listen t' me."

Rarity lowered her gaze, wanting to argue, but knew deep inside she was right. From how hastily Spike had written his letter, this wasn't a normal case of excess studying. For the whole of last week, there was little word between Twilight and her friends, besides Spike's letter requesting them to come to Canterlot and speak to the doctor.

But only Rarity and Applejack were able to come. Everyone else already had their own errands to run; Fluttershy was already in Canterlot delivering some oolong tea for the doctor, and Rainbow Dash was on her way to the Wonderbolts Academy. As for Pinkie Pie, she had gone to see her off in supporting her.

The two mares took haste in traversing the streets and kept their eyes out for the turn to Twilight's house, the clicking of their hoofsteps echoing down the streets. The city was devoid of life, unusual for the its reputation, but with the sun hardly reaching past the roofs of the various restaurants and boutiques, it was apparently too early for nobleponies to tend to their decadent errands. Even the ones who weren't considered nobles were only just rising.

Canterlot wasn't completely a ghost town, though. There were a few citizens enjoying the brisk air of the morning, even a barrel's worth of nobleponies were wandering as well. Otherwise, the only signs of the city not being abandoned were the night guards by Hoity Toity's Fashion Emporium.

"I find it rather appalling," Rarity spoke up, taking a change of subject, "That those guards are still taking questions regarding his boutique. You can question newscolts only so long before the crime bleeds dry." The guards currently on shift, one questioning a newscolt and the other jotting his answers down, both shot her a look at hearing her.

She and Applejack stopped, the farmpony eyeing the boutique and seeing Hoity Toity himself inside, trying in vain to salvage what remained of his wares. "You have t' keep in mind, Rarity, somethin' like this ain't goin' away so easily. Vandalism just ain't natural in Canterlot; let alone crime in general. I'd feel that suspicious, too, if my barn looked like some animal scratched it up with their teeth." Again, she looked at the business stallion picking up the countless ribbons of fabric, all looking like they were torn through with the sharpest incisors.

"Well, I suppose whoever was behind this truly hated him with a fiery passion," said the other mare, almost defensively, which caught Applejack off guard.

" . . . Didn't they question you, too? You did have some kind of grudge with him."

Twirling the parasol in her aura, Rarity scoffed. "Really, Applejack! Do you seriously imagine me tearing up those gorgeous dresses! And especially with these?"

She jabbed her free hoof at her bright, albeit dull, incisors. And when Applejack had a look of exasperation, she realized she was making the wrong point. "Oh, no, that wasn't a grudge, dear. The only reason he vocally abused my work back then was because I made the mistake of taking your prototype gala outfits to the stage. I admit I deserved that harsh criticism, but that means nothing in the case of grudges."

She didn't mention it, but because Hoity Toity was her greatest ally in the fashion world, she also shared in his misfortune. With his wares destroyed, he had to put their partnership, as well as any extra funds, on hold. That was one of the reasons she was able to close her boutique for the day without any greater loss, despite it being one of the bigger days for her business to draw in funds.

It went without saying that the guards' suspicions of her involvement dissolved just as quickly as they came.

"Still," said Applejack, "Somethin's off about this here caper. Even if an animal were t' somehow break into that specific store, why'd it leave everythin' else alone, even the safe with a hog's worth of bits in there?" Rarity didn't answer, neither of them knowing for sure. Be the perpetrator pony or animal, there were too many loose ends to consider. It was obviously a hate crime, as the bits were left alone, and any enraged animal would have torn everything up, unless controlled otherwise. All the guards could really do now was try to quell any panic from the citizens.

They resumed their walk, taking the turn after Hoity Toity's boutique, as it was the road closest to Twilight's house and study tower. The bright gleam from the tower's golden spire nearly blinded the pair to the two figures descending the twirling staircase. As they drew closer, Applejack could make out that the leading was much smaller than the following, and she shared her concerned visage with Rarity, suspecting what might have happened up there.

Their suspicions were swiftly confirmed as they got to the foot of the staircase, closing in on Spike and Fluttershy, both who got off the last step.

"I'm real sorry about that," they heard Spike say, "I really thought she'd open up to you." Fluttershy nodded calmly, although they didn't know if she was agreeing or just trying to move the conversation along. Spike then offered, "M-maybe you can come back tomorrow. I . . . I'm sure she'll listen then."

But the mare frowned in reply. "Um, n-no, that's okay. It's clear s-she wants to be left alo-lone. I mean, I'll still come by to bring her that tea she likes, but maybe it's best not to bother her until . . . she's . . . ready to talk." By the time she noticed Applejack and Rarity approaching, she slowed down, but finished her sentence.

"Oh, good, you're here," Spike sighed, relieved at the newcomers' presence. Fluttershy must have already told him about Rainbow and Pinkie, since he didn't ask.

Fluttershy shrunk a bit, then asked shakily, "Oh, h-how long were you t-two . . .?"

"Don't worry yourself none, sugarcube," said Applejack, "We just got here ourselves." Fluttershy seemed to calm a bit, before her eyes shifted slightly, then narrowed.

Applejack followed her eyes and saw it, too. Pinkie and Rainbow were coming up to them, both holding the same air of concern. Pinkie had her mane drooped slightly, but not completely draped like Fluttershy's, and Rainbow was grounded to the pavement.

"Rainbow Dash? What are you and Pinkie doing here?" Fluttershy questioned. "I thought you were at the Wonderbolts Academy?"

"Yeah, I kinda was," Rainbow rubbed the back of her head, "But then Pinkie started freaking out with her jitters and looked like this."

She gestured to the party pony, who, although avoided eye-contact, continued, "My Pinkie Sense started going off and told me Twilight needed help, so I asked Dashie to take the balloon here."

Fluttershy gasped, then said, "But, Dash, what about the Wonderbolts? Aren't they . . .?"

"I know, but I couldn't leave like this. It just didn't feel right, living the dream while Twi was still here doing . . . whatever it is she's doing." She still had her initial Wonderbolts training suit draped over her back, and she glanced at it longingly for a moment before looking away. "I guess I could always sign up next year, anyway."

Spike stepped towards her. "Rainbow, I . . . I didn't realize that--"

"Don't you get all sappy on me," she snapped, her casual attitude coming back. "All I'm saying is that I'm not leaving her all alone. Now, where is she?"

The drake paused, hesitant to answer. But when Rainbow started to advance, he quickly obliged. "Up in the tower, like she has been over the last week. But I doubt you'll get anywhere with her. She hasn't been letting anypony come see her at all. Even Fluttershy and I have tried, but . . ."

His voice trailed off, so Fluttershy finished for him. "She snapped at us . . . a little bit . . . and maybe told us to go away . . ."

Rainbow stared up at the tower, her sympathy melting away. "I didn't ditch the Wonderbolts and come all the way to Canterlot to hear she yelled at you! I'll give her a piece of my mind, if that's how she'll--Augh! Hey!" She had started to take flight for the tower, before Fluttershy had somehow pinned her wings back to her body.

"You can't!" she pleaded. "It was my fault she even yelled . . . I should have just left her be . . ."

Setting her hooves on the ground again, Rainbow scoffed. "Are you kidding me? Why are you suddenly defending her? And don't say, 'because I bothered her'!"

"But I did. And she clearly wants to be left alone so she can finish her work in peace, Dash." She spoke firmly, letting go of Rainbow's wings.

"But we're her friends! We're more important than some stupid experiment!"

"Now, wait a moment, Rainbow Dash," Rarity cut in, stepping forward. "You cannot possibly think she can place us--ponies whom she's hardly known for three years--above a thing she has dedicated all her energy and her entire life to. Do you believe friendship is much more important than research that could potentially save countless lives?"

Rainbow started to retort, but got caught in her question. She tried to defend her point of view with the smarmy reply of, "Well, it is the Magic of Friendship we're talking about." But after seeing Rarity's no-nonsense glare, she compromised. "Okay, fine. I'm not against life-saving potions; really, I'm not. I just don't see how Twilight locking herself away with nonstop work is good for her. She's been like that for . . . for . . .?"

"Exactly a week, Dash," Spike finished. "I remember, because you girls were coming back from the Altrotta exactly seven nights ago."

The pegasus clacked her front hooves together. "Right. So she's actually hurting herself by ignoring us! We should be playing hard ball, not backing down to give her space!" To emphasize, she shot a look at Fluttershy, whose gaze darted away from hers.

"Wait, Dashie," Pinkie spoke up. Her mane poofed up a bit more as she regained her airy voice. "What about what Rarity said? She might be hurting, but she's still sacrificing her time and energy towards something meaningful to her. It's just taking longer than she wanted it to be, and she can't finish it if we're in her face half the time."

Rainbow flapped over beside her and said sympathetically, "Okay, yeah, I get that. I've mentioned before that I don't believe in this potion stuff, but I'm still supporting her, aren't I? But are you saying we should seriously let her drive herself to the ground?"

Taking the time to think for a moment, Pinkie finally answered, "No, no. We shouldn't let her be so alone. But it won't be any fun for her, us trying to force her to come out. It might just drive her away from us instead!"

"So what you suggest we do?" said Applejack. "I'm all for helpin' Twilight, but you're darn right 'bout us drivin' her away."

"I know what we shouldn't do," mumbled Fluttershy. "Gang up on her all at once." Each of the girls nodded assent, besides Rainbow, who grimaced, to which Applejack guessed she still had a ghost of wanting to knock Twilight's door down instead.

Then Rarity, folding her parasol, added, "So, as all of us speaking to her simultaneously would be counterproductive, we therefore should have just one do so?"

"Right," Spike nodded. "I would suggest Applejack would be up for the job. Besides, Twi asked me to bring her here anyway, something about needing a favor."

Applejack nodded as well. He had mentioned that as well in the letter, but the details of this 'favor' in the letter were the same as what she heard from Spike's mouth.

She didn't see a need to bring it up, but she believed that if any of her friends, Twilight would most likely listen to her, having been by her side at most of the meetings with the Governors. Even at the ones that ended badly, like the most recent one, she was there to keep the doctor's spirits from failing. Perhaps in that light, Twilight would come to listen to her.

"As for the rest of you," she spoke up, "I think it's best if y'all get back t' Ponyville. Like Rarity said, havin' all of us here might complex things more than they should. We can meet up at Sugarcube Corner later on."

For the most part, they all agreed, but Applejack could have sworn she heard Rainbow mutter something about, 'wasted effort' and, 'a whole year'.

Once the girls were all out of sight, Spike led Applejack inside. As she walked to the living room, she saw that everything had looked completely untouched since her last visit, save for Spike's Power Ponies comic books lazily spread over the room.

In reply, the dragon cleared his throat awkwardly and began scooping up each and putting them on their proper shelf. "So, can I get you anything, Applejack?" he asked, tweaking with one comic so it was perfectly lined up with the others. "Tea, coffee, cider? Hard cider?" He looked completely on edge as he ran quickly through the options; his claws were especially jittery as he couldn't keep still.

"Umm, that's okay, sugarcube. I just wanna get t' the main issue." She stepped aside to see the door frame at the far end of the room. "Pardon my askin' but where's Night Light?"

Spike swept up a pile of wood chippings and worn springs; the mare guessed those were the remains of his attempts to make his crossbow. "Oh, he's still at the observatory studying that comet. Being that Twi's been so busy, he's requested extra shifts there."

He spoke with a tremble to his voice, prompting the farmpony to realize that there was more to the problem. "Sugarcube, are you sure everythin's alright with Twi? What's goin' on?"

And as she said so, Spike looked as though he was allowed to speak without any strings attached. "I didn't wanna say around Fluttershy. She'd be freaked if she knew." Still, he glanced around, as though expecting someone to come in as he spoke. "I've already said about her being up there and not talking to any of us. It was alright, at first, just her being up in the study for longer periods of time, just reading and working, reading and working. I mean, she didn't come down 'till three o' clock, but still."

"What'cha mean, 'at first'? What about the TS8 Formula? Didn't she up and test that?"

"I tried asking about that, several times, but she kept dodging the question." He swallowed tightly, but continued. "And she was awful jumpy, too. Like, when I had set out a glass for her she screamed, like she was half-expecting a manticore to barge in."

Applejack hesitated with her next question, until reminding herself that she was here to draw Twilight out, no matter what was needed to do so. "You think the test had backfired?"

"I hate thinking it, but that's gotta be why. Which is bad news, considering the Governors. I don't think even the Princesses can stop them from shutting her work down."

She grimaced. In the times she'd accompanied Twilight to the meetings with the Governors, she'd seen the worst in those ponies like Octavia and Fleur de Lis; the only exception was Fancy Pants, a real gentlecolt in her opinion, as he showed respect to her despite their cultural differences. But she didn't think even he could have an ultimate say in saving her work, with one being against three. "That'll just go and encourage Twi t' work even harder, which might make things worse."

"It's not entirely her fault for having that kind of drive," Spike defended. "Twi and I were taught to work hard for our goals, just like how Shining Armor worked to become Captain of the Canterlot Guard, and Princess Cadence to become, well, princess. I guess a dedication to Mom after that accident just hammered in that moral for Twilight, especially since Dad used to illustrate the books she wrote."

An insignia of each of the family's cutie marks--including Night Light's--were set on the hearth next to Applejack, to which she looked at. The twin crescent moons on a blue background looked fitting for both illustrating and astronomy, the latter which Night Light went back to ever since Twilight Velvet was--

Applejack shook the thought off and took a change of conversation. "You said that she was fine at first. What in the hay changed that she got all holed up like a squirrel in winter?"

"I'm not exactly sure, but I'll bet that mare that's been up there with her had something to do with it." She caught the edge in his voice at once, and started to worry.

" . . . What mare? I thought she was alone."

"Oh, definitely not." He crossed his arms, glaring at the ceiling instead, as the study was too far away to see out the windows.

Then Applejack said, "But I assumed you ain't got the privilege t' let anypony into the study without Twilight's permission." It was true, for back in the Golden Oaks Library in Ponyville, if someone needed to see Twilight directly, they had to notify Spike first, who, in turn, asked her. It was a little petty, in Applejack's opinion, but as she had to study both magic and science, it was necessary to cut down on distractions.

"I don't," said Spike cautiously, "But I guess Twilight invited this mare ahead of time, without telling me." Then he glowered, "Otherwise, I'd have booted her out right there. Pow! Come on, the way her eyes freaked me out, she had 'city scum' written all over her face! I should have--"

He started to lose it, before Applejack managed to mollify his temper. "Whoa there, sugarcube, t'ain't gonna help losin' your head over this here mare."

Spike, breathing more calmly, apologized. "Sorry. Ever since I saw her that night, I've been so angry. I guess that started the moment I set eyes on her. Something in me just . . . clicked, and I just couldn't control myself."

"It happens t' the best of us, sugarcube. Now--" She sank down to his eye level and held him close as her motherly nature kicked in "--How's about you start over and explain what that mare was here for?"

"Okay." He breathed slowly, recalling the memory, and began, "It was only the one time I ever saw her, maybe two or three days after Twi first came out. It was past midnight, I know, because the fire I'd set up right before going to bed was smoldering with a couple flames poking out. Anyway, she was standing in front of the hearth, staring at those flames. When she realized I was awake, she just . . . stared at me with those slitted eyes."

"You think she was one of Luna's guards?"

"No, she was a unicorn, and like I said, 'city scum'. She looked nothing like a guard." Applejack thought over this, wondering if there really were Earth and Unicorn batponies as well. When this whole thing would blow over, she'd have to ask Twilight about that curiosity.

Spike continued, "Like I said before, I felt that click, and I was suddenly angry. I demanded to know what she was doing here, but she refused to cooperate, only telling me that Twilight invited her. I dunno, with how suborn she was, I couldn't help but think I saw her before, like my Mother. But after she mentioned her invitation, she also said that Twilight had new orders for me to start bringing her meals to the door, and not bother her or the other mare while she was working."

Releasing the drake from her forelegs, Applejack stiffened, both physically and emotionally. She had gotten up so quickly that she bumped into Spike's shelf, and a few comic books slid off. "You gotta be kiddin' me. Twilight can't be that buried in her work t' go orderin' a stranger t' give you orders."

"Yeah, but after that night I couldn't even get her to come out, so I didn't have much of a choice," Spike replied, his voice becoming flat with melancholy. He picked up the comic book that slid furthest from Applejack, who, in exchange, took it from him and set it accordingly by issue number, although she herself never dictated organization.

As Spike set the last issue onto the pile, barely able to line it up with the others with how his claws trembled, he added, "But here's the scary thing: later on, the very same night, I'd gone to bring Twi some of that caffeinated tea she likes, maybe to try talking to her. But when I set the tray down to knock, I heard her crying."

Applejack blinked, then furrowed her eyebrow. "You sure that wasn't the other mare? Twi don't sound like the weepy type."

"No, it was definitely her voice. But she sounded so . . . broken." He swallowed tightly, struggling to control his voice. "I wanted to see her, but what that mare said . . . about leaving them alone . . . really got to me. I couldn't do it . . ."

Pain spread in his eyes; the kind that came when you knew there was nothing to be done to help the situation. Applejack had seen that pain in her family's eyes when she tried to abandon them for her aunt and uncle in Manehatten, when not all the words in the world could have convinced her to change her mind. "Don't you worry none about Twilight, little sugarcube. I'll help her outta this slump, just you watch."

His eyes lighting up, Spike opened his mouth to say something in thanks.

"Spike!" Twilight's shout was heard a split-second before the doctor materialized in between him and Applejack, cutting off his own voice.

Her appearance startled Applejack for how deteriorated she looked, accurate to what Spike had said. Her mane was tangled from neglect of brushing and her eyes had the slightest trace of dark circles underneath. She also noticed the right sleeve of her sweater was rolled up, where a bandage bound her right foreleg; it looked as though it needed changing one or two days ago, judging the brownish splotch of dried blood.

Applejack held back her herd of questions, mainly about the bandage and the strange mare, as she was already yelling at Spike.

"Didn't I ask you to come back up after dismissing Fluttershy?"

Spike, only looking somewhat off guard, recovered quickly. "I had to talk to Applejack, here!" He crossed his arms again, looking away and added, "Geez, don't yell. The nobleponies are still lounging across the street, y'know."

At the mention of Applejack, Twilight's anger was quelled, if only for the moment. Rubbing the temple of her head with her good foreleg, she said, "Fine, fine, sorry, Spike. I should actually be thanking you, but for right now, I need you to do something." Three pages of paper were pressed forcefully into his claws.

"Sugarcube?" Applejack spoke up. "What are those--"

"In a minute, Applejack! I'll get to you in a minute." Twilight had spoken hastily and hardly spared a glance back at her before going back to Spike. "These are to go to Zecora. Tell her I will pay her for these when I come by next week to pick them up, and I'll pay double for the Mirror water."

After standing, she ran her good hoof through her mane, in a small attempt to recompose herself. She turned to face Applejack.

"Wait, Twilight, I can't go all the way to the Everfree Forest!" Spike said, voicing his obvious concerns. "Can't I just send it to her, like I do with the Princesses?"

Twilight groaned, wheeling back to him. "It doesn't work like that, Spike! The Princesses can receive letters because they have direct connections with magic, as in, a horn. Zecora can't receive letters that way because she's a zebra! And I'm far too busy to go myself, so I need you!"

Spike thumbed the edge of his jaw in thought. "Wait, isn't that racist?" he finally answered, grinning playfully. "I think it's racist. The Princesses really wouldn't--"

"Damn it, Spike! Go! Now!" Twilight shouted, even louder, as her eyes flared blood-red.

The silence that followed was so thick that Applejack could hear Spike's startled panting. His pupils ran thin with the same fear before he blinked them back to wider slits and swallowed tightly. "S-sure, Twi. What I-I-I meant was I was . . . just leaving now!" He forced out fake laughter and waved to Applejack. "So, yeah, s-see you later, Applejack?" He sidled back towards the front door as Twilight eyed him sternly; just before darting out, Applejack just barely saw him tearing up.

"What in the hay'd you do that for?" she whipped towards the doctor. She was about to go off on her tangent about how she warned Twilight not to overwork herself, but at seeing the blankness on her face, her words caught in her throat.

Twilight stared at the floor, mouthing something about the maretric system and vials, not even noticing Applejack. It wasn't until the farmpony cleared her throat that she blinked. "Oh. Right. I was making you just stand there that whole time. Sorry." She mouthed something else, pressed a hoof to her muzzle in thought, then led Applejack to the bookcase in the corner adjacent to her father's room. "I had something that I needed you to do."

That whole time? Applejack thought. "You okay, sugarcube? You don't seem t' be yourself." Twilight suddenly burst with a perverse laugher. "What? I say somethin' funny?"

The doctor breathed shakily, her eyes dilated, then forced out a hacking cough that sounded nothing like her previous laughter. "Had this crazy coughing fit this morning. Heh . . ."

Applejack eyed her cautiously, taking tentative steps, but eventually dropped it, stepping to the side of the bookcase.

At the foot of the bookcase, there were several drawers that had those well-polished handles that all had a large loop so even earth or pegasus ponies cold fit their hoof into to pull the drawer. Twilight took the handle of the lowest one--manually, Applejack noticed, as she did put her hoof through the loop--and from inside she withdrew some envelopes; again, manually.

Whatever the reason, Twilight was deliberately refraining from using her magic.

After shuffling the three envelopes, the number Applejack confirmed as she watched her, she held them out for her. "Now, listen closely. I need these letters delivered in my stead. One is for Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, one is for my brother and Princess Cadence, and one is for you and the girls. Hold on!"

Applejack had reached for them, only for her to yank them from her hooves. "It's imperative that you listen to this part, especially. There may come a time that I'll become ill, or I have to leave Canterlot without explanation. If that time ever comes, only if that time comes--" She set the envelopes into Applejack's hooves. "--Any question you might have, or perhaps have right now, will be in these letters. I expect you to pass those instructions along to the other recipients."

As Applejack began to set the letters securely into the brim of her hat--where she kept items of importance when she didn't have her saddlebag on her--Twilight sighed as she seemed, for the first time that day, relieved. The weary crinkles underneath her eyes ebbed a bit as she began breathing more steadily.

But for Applejack, her curiosity and worry didn't settle as easily; it only became more choking like dust in an all-out brawl. "I don't understand, sugarcube. What happened t' you last week that made'ja all so . . . reclusive? Look, I wanna help you, but I can't if you're just gonna shut us out."

Twilight rubbed the wound on her right leg, her left trembling as she did. " . . . I can't. There's too much going on for me to explain it. I have my work to do, the Governors to deal with when they come by tomorrow, and Princess Celestia to give the Alicorn Amulet to."

"But can't you just settle down for a few days and just talk t' us?" Applejack persisted, reaching for Twilight. "There's no loss for a few days' rest, as I'd tried t' tell you last week."

Pulling away from her, Twilight sighed. "I just can't, Applejack. Now, please, let me go back to work."

She must have known that when around Applejack, she might as well have had a lie detector instead of a horn, because that was all she said before plopping onto the sofa, trembling again.

But Applejack wasn't going to take it easy anymore. Like Rainbow had said, maybe it was time to play hard ball. "Look, if you're not even goin' t' answer a simple question about last week," she said, making sure her eyes drilled into hers, "Then I don't gotta do you any favors." Removing the letters from her hat, she tossed all three onto one of the single seats, intending to leave them and the household.

"Applejack!" She heard the panic in Twilight's voice, but didn't stop. Not until she had gripped her shoulders and forcibly spun her around. "Please, Applejack! I wouldn't have asked if I didn't trust you!" She must have seen the skepticism in her, as she sighed again, releasing her shoulders. "I made a miscalculation with the TS8 Formula. I thought I had it right, but I was off by a mile. Just some . . . incorrect amounts on some of the ingredients."

The farmpony caught her hesitation at the end. But everythin' before that seemed true. Could she be only half-lyin'? Nonetheless, she continued to listen.

"That's why I need the ingredients all over again. But I also need to reexa-examine everything I ever learned about the natures of . . . Goodness and Evil, and the Formula itself. That's why . . . um . . . why this is t-taking so long to work on. Not that the Governors will help at all with that." She fidgeted more in what she said, alerting the farmpony.

She could've kept going with blackmailing her to answer her questions, but she was betraying her honest nature enough as it was. And even so, she would do more harm to Twilight by betraying her trust by withholding her task. "Alright. I'll deliver these here letters for you." She picked them back up from the chair and set them back into the brim.

Meanwhile, Twilight let out a pent-up breath and almost smiled. "Thank you, Applejack. I just--"

"Save your thanks for when this is all over," Applejack stopped her. "Or at least until you give the whole truth."

How realistic the doctor's 'confusion' looked. "But . . . I did tell you the truth. I miscalculated, and now--"

"I know that now. But I also know you're hidin' somethin' from us." From the glare she received, she could tell Twilight was getting tired of being cut off. But still she went on. "Whatever happened that night, it's got you scared outta your wits, and now you're workin' your flank off tryin' t' finish your work before the Governors shut you down."

Twilight broke eye contact. "I'm just doing what I'm supposed to, Applejack. But it shouldn't concern you about what happens in my study."

"Yeah, I get that. But whatever the reason you've locked yourself away, it isn't--shouldn't--be the reason t' lock your own friends out!" She regained some of her sympathy and asked again, "What happened that night? We are your friends, sugarcube. Believin' your philosophy or not, each of us have been right behind you the whole time, even buttin' heads with the Governors, too."

She saw Twilight blink several teary blinks, seeing that she was getting through to her. "I hate t' say it, but you've lost that fire of friendship you once had. That drive that inspired you t' find your solution that came from the Magic of Friendship. I've known you long enough t' know when you're hurtin'; I can see it in your eyes."

"I can't, Applejack. This isn't something I should drag you or anypony else into," Twilight begged.

The farmpony sighed, giving up. Eventually, she would break through that thick skin of hers and find out what she was hiding. But as Pinkie said, pushing it too far would only drive her away from them. "Fine. You don't wanna talk about it. I'm not against you, Twi. But at least try t' understand, what you're doing could ruin your friendships. Just think about what Spike's probably feelin' right now."

Twilight stared at her, unsure of what she meant. She mouthed again, before it clicked. "Oh no . . . no no no no." Panic spread in her eyes as she remembered how she snapped at Spike. "I have to go bring him back!" She started for the door, before Applejack stopped her.

"Now you understand?" She admittedly had to fight against herself not to sound too callous. "This is why I warned you not t' go workin' yourself t' the ground." Twilight glanced at her again, desperate to find Spike. "Save yourself the worry. I'll help him with that half-danged fool journey of yours. At least then, it won't take the whole day t' complete it."

Stepping out of Twilight's way, she watched as regret spilled onto her face. "Spike . . . Applejack, I--"

"I said don't worry about it," Applejack repeated firmly. "You just try t' clear your head and take the day off, for once." Some of her bottled-up anger seeped into that, as Twilight flinched from it. Before she said anything else she knew she'd regret, she left the doctor to her thoughts.

As she stepped out onto the streets, she began sealing up her bitter emotions towards the doctor. It spooked her, how easily it broke through, and how liberating it felt to assault Twilight with said feelings. Albeit, she managed to control most of it, but something had made her . . . want to lash out at her. Weird. It was just like what Spike said about losing his temper at that mare.

She shook her head. Maybe it's just all this gloom from worryin' about Twi, she decided. Let's just go and find us a little dragon.

Outside, the business day had finally begun for the noble ponies. The streets were already flooded with ponies on their errands, as Applejack kept getting knocked aside by the pompous nobles. Some of the day guards flew over her, relieving the night guards from questioning Hoity Toity.

It wasn't long before she found Spike, sitting at one of the benches by the train station, waiting for the next ride to Ponyville. She weaved around a family and stepped in front of the bench just before he saw her.

"Applejack? I-I thought you were . . . were still with Twilight . . ." The dragon trailed off, clearing his eyes out.

"Don't you worry none about that, sugarcube," Applejack brushed it off, "Let's go do this fool's errand of yours." Her agreement to join him raised his spirits, as he reached to hug her foreleg.

"Thanks, Applejack. But what about Twilight? Did you talk to her?" he asked eagerly.

Applejack looked away, but gathered her thoughts. "I did, but let's not worry about her. She got her own thoughts t' tend to."

Just as the train pulled in, Applejack secured the letters in her brim. She'd have the letter meant for her and the girls put in her bedroom at Sweet Apple Acres, and deliver the letter to the Crystal Empire after taking care of the potion orders to Zecora with Spike. As for the Princesses' letter, she'd bring that last, before dropping Spike off back at Twilight's; that is, if he even wanted to go back there.

She'd ask him about that later, though. He needed a friend to comfort him right now, not bring up touchy subjects.