• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 2,865 Views, 113 Comments

Sparkyll and Hyde - Dragon Spire



Within every one of us, even the best of us, there is an essence of Good, and an essence of Evil. Twilight Sparkle will soon discover that there is a cost for tampering with the two essences

  • ...
12
 113
 2,865

Act I: Chapter Six

Act I: Chapter Six:
Hyde

Two auras, one blue and one pink, were beacons in the shadows. The owners of those auras, Rarity and Twilight, led the small group of six. Behind them, Fluttershy trembled in her steps, clinging to a surprisingly sleepy-eyed Pinkie Pie. Rainbow was scouting their surroundings for anybody trying to sneak up on them.

A few, dim lamps glowed around them, but that didn't disarm Twilight's wariness. There were those who used Luna's night as a weapon against careless travelers, but she wouldn't be.

Her reputation in the city, even if it was a good one, attracted the worst of Equine to her, even in her filly days. Back then, Phalanx, a close friend of Shining Armor's and his replacement as Captain of the Canterlot Guard, had taught her various defense methods whenever escorting her home. She was no fighter, unlike her brother, but blocking even the fastest punches because easy with his guidance.

But even then, she couldn't shake that feeling of uneasiness that draped over her like the surrounding night tried to. Her newest breakthrough, her solution provided by Soarin, was a double edged sword; while she knew what had to be done for her work, being armed with that knowledge chained her to suspicion that her enemies, Octavia especially, knew as well. She never told her back at the theatre, but she shivered still, expecting her to slither out and steal her one chance away, just like before.

So when they finally made it to her the detached two story house, its lavender facade fell in her gaze as the scent of petals flurried into her.

She walked along the brick pathway leading to the front door and took in the two horizontal flowers beds underneath the windows. Lilacs, daisies, and morning glories, all in neat patterns, though the daisies came in twos before the others. The door she was about to unlock had a yellow arch above her, and further up, the cutie marks of both her parents.

She had no idea how long it was since last thanking her father for not erasing her mother's mark. He would have her back soon.

With a swift turn of the key, she opened the door ahead for her friends. "Make yourselves comfortable." She loosened the clasp of the cloak Rarity had lent her and folded it. Its soft fabric skimmed at her hooves as she set it by the door. Very good quality, even if Rarity hated black.

To her left, in the living room, the girls all took seats there. Her right, the kitchen. Spike was nowhere to be found in there, sneaking jammie dodgers, nor was he hiding on the staircase in front of her, reading his comic books. She decided to go to the living room.

Considering she was part of one of Canterlot's well-to-do families, the utter lack of glitz dripping off the walls would have scared most noble-ponies away. Two single seats by the hearth, a four-pony sofa, and several bookcases in the back were the extent of furnishing here. The white oak floor clicked against her hooves as she took one single seat across from her friends, a curled-up Spike occupying the other. A large book was barely hanging in his claw-grip.

Rarity, having chosen to sit by the fireplace in between Twilight and Spike, rubbed her hooves before the dying flame. It looked like it had been smoldering for awhile.

Twilight's saddlebag was placed at the foot of Spike's chair, and after brief examination, she sighed. Everything was accounted for; her journal, her quills and inkwells, her . . . amulet.

As soon as she remembered it was there, it went back to its old habit of whispering to her. She unconsciously squirmed back, what brief calm she had now washed away.

Applejack, daft to her unease, spoke up. "Now that we got Spike here, let's get that amulet back home. Can't wait 'till the Princess comes t' pick it up, lock it up for good."

The doctor hesitated, reaching over to Spike and stroking the spines along his back. Applejack, and by extension the others, were assuming that only brought the amulet to keep tabs on it, not to temporarily store it in her study. It was time to come clean. "I'm not going back to Ponyville, girls."

The surprise that mingled amongst her friends' faces didn't show on Applejack's.

"Darling, whatever do you mean?" Rarity laughed, thinking she was joking. Next to her, Pinkie, her mane slightly deflating, eyed Twilight like a saddened puppy.

"It's not permanent, Pinkie Pie," Twilight responded, to which the earth pony lightened up a bit. " I just need to finish my work. I've discovered something important tonight, and I have to make use of this information now, before I waste any more time."

"So you lied t' us," Applejack grimaced. "And played us for fools." Twilight's gaze descended back to Spike, avoiding eye-contact with her.

"But . . . why would you do that? You trust us, don't you?"

She could feel Fluttershy's stare weighing her down. Shifting her hooves, she locked eyes with all of them. "I do trust you. All of you. But I know that while you support me, some of you don't fully understand, or believe in, my work. What I've told you about my work is a lot to take in; it's an unprecedented curiosity." Applejack raised her eyebrows as if showing impatience. "I didn't want to tell you because it would have only made you worry, or worse, think I was crazy."

"Look, Twi," said Rainbow, sliding off her seat. "You're right about one thing: I don't believe in this potion baloney. But I'm still right behind you, even if this formula thingie does work to save your mom." She approached her and stared close at her. "But that was cheap, lying to us like that. Think of what Pinkie's feeling, that you basically broke your promise!"

"No, she didn't." Both Rainbow and Twilight turned to her. "She said that she'd take a super long break once her project was finished. But it's not finished yet, so she's still entitled to working right now!"

"But she took a break before. Wouldn't that, y'know, count as a Pinkie Promise break?"

"Sure-golly it would! But you made me Pinkie Promise not to ruin the surprise that you got her time off! Paradox~!"

Rainbow groaned. "Point is, what you did isn't right! That's not what friendship is, and so help me, I'll drag you back to Celestia's hooves if you pull that sorta stunt again."

Twilight swallowed tightly. "Yes, of course. And I really am sorry, Rainbow Dash. But I'm following what I think is the best path. That's all I'm asking you to understand."

"Whatever." She trotted away, muttering obscenities under her breath. She'd be back in relaxed spirits with her in time - just needed to vent for a while.

Rarity picked up the conversation from her. "So, confessions aside, what it this important thing you've discovered? I understand it most certainly is the vital piece of the proverbial puzzle in evading your colleagues' ruling, but what exactly did you find out?"

She swallowed before answering. "Who my volunteer is going to be." She expected horror, surprise in the least.

But all she found on Rarity's face was disgust. "Oh, dear, please do not tell me you are meaning to enlist that scoundrel, Soarin, as your volunteer."

"What? No!" She stepped back, a deep blush covering her face. Her shout startled Spike awake, knocking the book over with a loud thump.

"Aah!" He looked all about. "What! Who! What happened?"

"I'm sorry, Spike," she hugged him. "I didn't mean to scare you. The girls and I were just . . . talking."

He caught her tone and realized. "Oh, the paraspite's outta the bag, huh?"

"Yes, you could say." Her hoof bumped into the book, prompting her to look at it. " 'The Foal's Guide to Crossbows: How to be a Sharpshooter Extraordinaire'? Spike, what is this?"

"I . . . uh, was going to make a crossbow to practice with? Y'know, just like Mistress Marevelous!" He pulled out an issue of Power Ponies, with a snarling Mistress Marevelous on the front cover, using the said weapon.

Twilight was about to object, but Rainbow cut in. "He's got something going there. How else is he going to defend himself when more monsters appear?" Putting a hoof up to her mouth to prevent his hearing, "And he can't always depend on slingshot princesses to save his hide all the time, can't he?"

"That's my sister-in-law you're talking about," Twilight deadpanned.

"So what? I'm guessing he's staying here, too. Not like you care if we know. But he's gotta have something to do while you're busy."

Picking up the book, Spike said, "I'll bring it back to the library tomorrow if you want." The book was heavy in his arms, so Twilight helped levitate it back to the shelf by the hearth. It was small, but big enough for his own collection of reading material. She went to give him the comic book, but looked at the cover again.

Her knowledge of the Power Ponies was lacking, but she was told on multiple occasions that Mistress Marevelous depended more on her weapons than her powers, amongst other trivia concerning the earth pony. This trait of hers made sense as to why Spike suddenly took an interest in crossbows; He was just a fan displaying his passion for what he loved.

"No, that won't be necessary, Spike. Just come to me whenever you finish your crossbow, and I'll help you with target practice."

"Really? O-okay, thanks, Twi." Spike accepted the comic book from her with a shy smile and sat down to read.

With one task out of the way, she levitated her saddlebag, but when she tightened the straps against her barrel, Applejack stepped in front of her. "You're not going to start, too, are you?"

The farm-pony's expression remained stoic. "Nope. Got nothin' more t' say, sugarcube. Rainbow Dash done covered most of it. I know at the end a' the day, you mean well for your mother, so I'm forgivin' you. All I want is for you t' be careful. You've been stretchin' yourself all over with all this work of yours, and t'ain't healthy."

"You gotta have more faith in her, AJ," said Spike, setting the comic book down. "Twilight can take on any test that's thrown at her! I bet by this time next week, there'll be TS8s stacked on every shelf in the hospital! Those Governors'll fall flat on their knees, eating their own words!"

"I'm sure, Spike," the farmpony chuckled. Twilight was walking towards Rarity to give her cloak back when she heard her say to him, "Make sure she goes straight to bed. If she's really wantin' t' work at once, she gonna need all the rest she can get."

"I'll give it a shot," she heard Spike say, "But she's almost as stubborn as you."

Twilight ignored them both for the moment and went to Rarity, bundling the cloak. "Thanks for letting me borrow this, Rarity."

Rarity turned to her, scoffing. "Please, dearie. Keep it. If I take that dreadful thing back with me, the newspapers shall become more scandalous than that Gabby Gums incident. You look like you need it more, anyway." At that instant, Pinkie started rubbing her knees, a small grimace overtaking her usual smile. "Is everything alright, Pinkie Pie?"

The earth pony blinked, as if not hearing the question, then looked at Rarity. "What? Oh! Everything's super-duper! Just a silly false alarm! I hope . . ." She started to trot out first, looked worriedly at Twilight, then slipped outside. Each of the girls all gave their own goodbyes before leaving, with Rarity being the last.

"I'll see you soon, my little Spikey," she cooed to the dragon, then looked at the doctor. "I wish the most fortuitous of luck to you, Twilight." She stepped out with the others as she watched them through the window.

Spike had climbed up next to her, his eyes sighing. "Golly, isn't she something?" He slid down, grabbing a broom next to one of the bookshelves.

Putting the cloak back on under her saddlebag, Twilight trotted to the staircase, looking up at the doorframes at the second floor. "Is father already in bed?"

He set the broom back, having already cleared away the dust. "Oh, right. He told me that he's spending the night at the observatory. One of those giant comets are coming back, so he went to go study it." He paused, thinking, then said, "Why don't you settle in? I'll heat some cider for you, get you one of your favorite stories, too."

It was tempting, to just do as Applejack wanted and take the night off. She could just do her work in the morning and a nice night of curling in her old bedroom, remembering times gone by.

But as Spike headed for the kitchen, she remembered how adamant she was to fulfil her promise. "That . . . sounds nice, Spike. But I'd rather pass for tonight." He eyed her. Both of them knew that for her, there was a time to relax, and a time to work. Once she made up her mind, no force in heaven or hell could convince her otherwise, unless it was a discussion between her and Princess Celestia.

"Eh, you can't blame me for trying. Can't I do anything for you before you go?"

Twilight pointed to the fireplace. "Throw another log on. Tonight's going to be the coldest of Autumn." he obeyed, going to a box in the kitchen to take one, then blowing a small flame until the wood caught. That done, he nestled back into his chair, the same Power Ponies comic open for his reading. "Well, goodnight, Twi. I'll have breakfast ready for you around eight."

Twilight rose, but something gnawed at her. "Spike?"

He closed the comic book, tilting his head. "What's up, Twi?"

"D-do you . . . remember mother at all? Before the accident?"

Spike had to think before answering. "I . . . I guess? I'd just hatched before it happened, but I definitely remember she had blue eyes, like Rarity's. Oh, and that she was awfully nice. I remember her talking to me, that I was so lucky to have you, and that you'd go on to do something great." He stared quizzically at her. "Why do you ask?"

Hesitantly, she answered, "I want so badly to do the right thing for her, but everypony, in their own way, thinks I'm a madmare. I just . . . I don't know if I'm doing the right thing."

Spike placed his clawed hand on her hoof. "Of course you are! That TS-thingy is gonna help everypony! And if those governors can't realize that, then they're deliberately blinding themselves and trying to make you blind, too. I know you're doing the right thing, because if you were the one in a coma instead, I'd be doing the same thing and taking the same risks as you."

Twilight closed her eyes, processing this. Her little brother, sacrificing his childhood just to save her - exactly what she'd done for their mother. Family was all that mattered to her; and him as well.

She wasn't fully aware when she whispered it: "I have to do it for her sake."

"Huh? Did you say something, Twi?"

She quickly covered it up, not wanting her plan to scare him. "Nothing, Spike. Just thinking out loud." She stroked behind his ear flap. "Thank you for listening. I have to go, but don't worry about me, okay?"

"Sure. So long as you promise not to forget about me up there," Spike chuckled, slowly sinking it the chair. His breaths had slowed, and within two minutes he was fast asleep.

He pulled a blanket over him and returned the comic book to his shelf. On a higher row, there were three books; all written by the doctor. She lacked her mother's skill to weave stories together, but these books were exceptions - all historical in hidden secrets of magic. Through careful research and opening her mind to the fusion of magic and science, she rediscovered them and published their creation, creators, and uses in the past. The money that was gained from those went directly to funding her main work.

Most of these secrets were invented by Star Swirl the Bearded, and nearly three-quarters of them being defense methods during the war in the Crystal Empire. One of these, the very spell that Twilight was most proud to have found, was a reservoir spell; unicorns could use the subconscious part of their brain to store a massive supply of magic simply by adding a little bit each day. When desperate times came, they could use it to survive for days without food or water, or, in the case of battle, unleash a devastating attack that would otherwise be impossible.

Not long at all after did she start her building her own, with Princess Celestia's permission.

Leaving the bookshelf, she looked to the dozen photos above the fireplace. Each had part of her family; some were her and Spike posing together, some of Cadence and Shining Armor in high school, and just the one of both her parents together.

"I promise, Spike," she whispered, "I'll bring this family together again. I'll make everything better. The Governors will see the truth for certain."

The governors had stood in her way far too many times, choosing class over reason and riches before kindness. They were desperate to stop her, and they came close with the last meeting.

But it was just another obstacle that was nothing once she'd overcame it, thanks to Soarin. She now considered him a friend, yet no amount of friendship would ever pay the debt back for what he'd done for her.

For better vocals
For song intro and better instrumentals

"Now there is no choice

I must conquer all

The fears I've kept inside

They've no place to hide . . .

"So it comes to this:

My final moment

That will decide my fate,

When everything I've fought for is at stake!

To bring a change that I alone can make . . ."

She turned the lights off with her magic, until the flames from the hearth were the only source of lighting. After enabling the lock, she slipped out the front door, tightening the clasp of Rarity's - her - cloak. Her study tower, standing a hundred yards in between her house and the castle, reflected the moonlight like a beacon of hope as she made a brisk trot towards it.

"This is the moment,

This is the night

When all those doubts that kept me back face my might!

"Every endeavor,

I have made, ever

Is coming into play,

It's here and now, today!"

Reaching the foot of the tower, she ascended the staircase. A dozen images were conjured, each portraying a vital step taken to lead to this moment, when every drop of blood, sweat, and tears would finally pay off.

"This is the moment,

This is the time,

When strength of science and my magic are aligned . . ."

Reaching the zenith, she dissolved the images and set her hooves onto the rail. Her eyes met the heavens as she remembered the legends of the Alicorns Above, how they guided and protected their subjects.

"Give me this moment,

This precious chance . . .

"I've gathered up my past,

Now a future's all I ask!"

She spun around and thrust the doors open. Candles all around her ignited as she passed them, the hush of night illuminating a faint wisp of fire.

"This is the moment,

When all I've done

All of the dreaming, scheming, and screaming become one!

"This is my time,

Watch it glimmer and shine!

When all I've lived for becomes mine!

"Through all these years,

I've faced my fears alone!

But now the time has come,

To prove to those fools I've made it,

On my own!

"This is the moment!

My final test!

"Destiny's found me,

And I'll never accept second best!

"I won't back down

I will not fall!

"This is the moment,

The sweetest moment of them all!"

She tore off her cloak and tossed it aside. As she came closer to the window, a ribbon of pure moonlight glistened and twirled around her body and lifted her hooves off the floor.

"This is the moment!

Damn all the scorn!

"This day or never,

I'll sit forever with Alicorns!

"When I look back,

I will always recall

Moment for moment,

This was the moment . . .

"The greatest moment of them all . . . !"

The moonlight dissolved as she dropped back onto her hooves. She laughed, allowing a few childish twirls to control her as she walked over to a long table. The candle on one corner was dim, so she churned more magic into it, enough light that she could see the whole table and everything on it.

A working sink - installed prior to her owning the tower - a large, cube-shaped structure holding scientific equipment, and an open space by the candle for her journal when she needed to write.

She undid the clasps of her saddlebags and took out her journal, smoothing it on its space. "Welcome home," she chuckled.

When the tower was build centuries ago, there were only a couple bookshelves to fill in the space. But when she gained possession of it, she added a few more, the table, some stray chairs, and a chaise lounge by the table. It was all to make it feel more like a second home (or a third, considering Ponyville).

Flipping through the pages, she pulled out a quill and inkwell and began to write, reading aloud as she did.

"Project TS, entry five-sixteen. September thirteenth -" she checked the clock inside the structure "- eleven forty-five P.M. I started this journey alone, considering friendship to be little more than a distraction from my work. But when Princess Celestia sent me to Ponyville on the day of Nightmare Moon's return, the ponies I'd met showed me what it was really about; that facing one's destiny alone will lead to nothing. In truth, they require finding a bit of ourselves and the goals we seek in others."

She paused, drawing water from the sink. "Ahem. Each of these ponies that I grew close to, including but not limited to, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Zecora, and Sir Fancy Pants. They all played a vital part in my journey that I would have otherwise not found. And most recently, my friend Soarin taught me that as our two natures war, we have, in our own hooves, the power to choose - what we want most to be, we are. Through this, I have the understanding that the TS8 can not only affect my target patients, but anypony, whatever their ailments may be.

"Therefore, I realize I have no other choice but to make myself the test subject of the TS8's evaluation. I will take one week to record the potency and side-effects of the Formula. After this night falls, I will see to it the governors will no longer hide the truth of what I'm doing. Their days of holding me back end now."

After cleaning the tip of her quill, Twilight retrieved the formula. The sewn pocket she had Rarity make for it kept the vial secure, even with the saddlebag now laying on its side. She retuned to the table, careful with her aura surrounding it.

Link

"I must be wise

I must try to . . . analyze each change in me

"Everything I see

How will it be?

Will I see the world through different eyes . . . ?"

Holding the vial before her vision, she watched the light of the moon leak through it and glint off the tens of dozens of pin-sized prismatic bubbles that twirled inside.

"Like the break of dawn

Bringing forth new light,

Like the come of Spring

Slaying Winter's bite,

"I will bring this change,

This test will arrange,

A brand new life . . .

"I'm on my way to help Mother

Find her way, tonight . . ."

Twilight popped open the lid, eyes tracing the path of the bubbles rising from its mouth.

"Leading her out of the darkness,

And into . . . the light . . ."

Zecora often told her that her concoctions tasted bitter because of the roots she had to grind up for them. That, and the water from the Mirror Pool may have toned the flavor down, since aside from its magical properties it was just spring water. Her guess was this combination would taste like some of those unsweet teas she'd tasted at the Day Spa.

The aura almost faltered from her giddiness, but she tightened her grip at once. It was wondrously thrilling, putting it mildly, that she was about to open herself to a new way of feeling alive; her natures of goodness and evil becoming equal, neither one heavier than the other. Her quirks influenced by evil would remain, but those all the more made her the pony she was. She could only wonder ever more about what the formula would do to her physically.

She tilted the neck back to drink.

"Wha -" Something glinted into her right eye, forcing her to set the formula down. Black spots swam in her vision until the blindness cleared. As she looked to the source, she saw the Alicorn Amulet's ruby peeking out from the saddlebag, the light from the candle glinting off the jewel.

"I'd better put that away before I do anything else," she thought aloud, knowing that if the formula made her drowsy, anyone could take advantage of her vulnerability.

Aura flickering with reluctance, she put it away in the drawer that doubled as a safe. It was stupid, but the key that unlocked it was the same key that did so with the doors. She had meant to amend that issue, but could never find any free time Princess Celestia had in which she could ask about something so trivial.

As she shut the drawer, she could feel its cold fingers withdrawing, although a breath of its influence still lingered. The doctor drew quivering breaths that lacked the warmth she coveted, despite her thick sweater.

"It's over, Twilight," she rubbed her temples. "You don't have to deal with it again until Princess Celestia comes for it. You've nothing to worry about."

Truly, she wanted to believe herself. She was right; she would pass it on to her mentor, who would lock it deep within the crystal caves, nevermore to cast its blood-eyes upon senseless victims or unleash its devastating magic.

Yet . . . something tugged ceaselessly at the back of her mind, like a noose tightening around her neck, insisting nothing was fine.

Then, at first a wordless whisper but building up as it became stronger, Octavia's voice spoke through her subconscious:

If the TS8 only separates these 'natures' from animals - whom aren't even your target patients, since they are mindless and lack sapience or morality - how do we know we're aren't damning an innocent pony to your experiment?

This was what the cellist had asked her at the meeting; it was, in fact, the very question that had ruined her entire proposal for a test subject. But that was before, when it was little more than her colleague's attack and an error on her part. Yet now, now she could hear the question within the question: What if the Formula isn't strong enough to do as you say?

Her heart sank to the pits of her stomach. If she only tested on soulless animals - creatures that lack free will and therefore either natures - how did she know this experiment wouldn't worsen the situation of the recipient? Or worse, kill them?"

Of course, this was why the test was to be taken. All cures needed to be proven. But Twilight knew already that this was a lame excuse. She never took the strength of the formula into consideration and, in overconfidence, assumed that it worked only because it was effective on animals without sapience, an oxymoron in itself.

"And suppose it's not strong enough to effect me," she whispered, "I'd have to find all the ingredients all over again, including finding a mixture to strengthen its properties . . ."

Which would have been simple enough, except her colleagues would know what she'd done. Working behind their backs, self-endangerment . . . those were enough to get her into a heap of trouble if it failed. But Octavia, who wanted nothing less than to destroy her work, would do anything to use this against her. Lies spread all over the city that the doctor tried to take her life when she knew she'd fail, at best. Her work could be taken away, her sanity 'proved' invalid. She'd be the only sane pony in an asylum.

"I can't let second-guesses throw me off," she panted, pacing left and right, "But Octavia could be right! I can't just . . . test something that may be faulty! Princess Celestia told me never to take assumption over evaluation! Oh, what am I supposed to -"

Then, like a hand waving them on, her eyes followed a silent beckon and fell on the drawer. At once she felt it prod at her. Her heart hammered tightly in her chest, and her hooves were frozen in place.

And yet the more she felt its presence, the more she realized how clear the answer was. "Of course!" she gasped. "I can use the amulet to . . . um, increase the formula's capabilities!" Her curiosity of dark magic reformed could be sated, too! She'd prove both theories with one swipe! "Nopony will ever have to know that I . . ."

Her voice died out, as she realized why this was far too easy. Her spirit sank to the pits of her heart. " . . . But I can't. The amulet is far too dangerous; Trixie was fortunate for our intervention. It turned her desire for petty revenge into a lust for power, and could've turned far worse."

But she had a stronger will than that bombastic showmare. Compared to Trixie, she was pure; a simple little spell that wouldn't even take a minute, the corruption couldn't touch her then. She would be left in an impasse without it, but as long as she was using it for good, there was nothing to lose; it was a win-win situation all around.

Still she stubbornly fought with the idea. "Princess Celestia would be furious. She trusted me with keeping it until she comes for it; I can't betray her." She stared at the keyhole almost longingly. "And besides, she's warned me of the dangers of dark magic. Even if I want to prove dark magic's good potential, I must obey Princess Celestia's wishes."

You'd believe her no matter what she'd say, Octavia's voice rang again.

Twilight froze, the words hammering in her brain. What did she mean by that? Well, Soarin, had jokingly referred to her as Princess Celestia's pet. Were they both imply that she was -

"No. No!" She shook her head, refusing to submit to the idea. Princess Celestia was wise and kind. She'd never manipulate her loyalty. Dark magic was forbidden for a reason, and Princess Celestia was only enforcing that restriction for the safety of her citizens. She knew what was best.

So why wasn't Twilight believing her own words?

Everything she ever knew - about the natures of the heart, about magic, light and dark - that all came from Princess Celestia. But all she knew about dark magic was that it was dangerous and forbidden. And it was all she ever needed to know . . . according to her mentor.

But she obviously knew there was more to it, didn't she? So why avoid the subject?

"Because she's afraid of it . . ." Yes, that had to be. A benevolent diarch of an entire nation; she couldn't afford to risk her own life just to test such a wild theory. And considering all sapient races had goodness and evil, neither could she allow her own subjects access to it, as not everyone was trustworthy; Trixie's example made that very clear.

But if it really wasn't incorrigible, why wouldn't she at least let someone else try? But every time that Twilight had asked, she would just change the subject or repeat her worn-down, 'it's too dangerous' speech.

"Just like Zecora did," she muttered. Both of them did that; avoiding the question, berating her efforts to know. Only because they were truly afraid of seeing what lurked behind the veil; the very same reason her own work was reviled!

Protecting her student from the unknown was one thing, but refusing to let her explore it for herself was an abomination!

She could almost see herself in a black void, strings burned into her legs, and Celestia yanking at the rod above.

Blood ran down her chin and dripped onto the table. She had been biting her lip to swallow her anger towards Celestia. Forcing a slow breath, she quelled her emotions. This did not change the loyalty she had for Celestia. She still was a benevolent leader, and she still allowed Twilight the freedom to learn anything else. After all, she had supported her goal to pursue science over magic, despite her doubt over it.

But forcing her to ignore the prosperities of dark magic had to stop. "I'm sorry, Celestia," she said coldly, "But I'm doing what I think is right."

She made her choice.

Opening the drawer, she levitated the Alicorn Amulet and put it on, hardly noticing its previous influence, and instead felt fiery warmth that spread through her entire body. Pure magic surged through her veins, leaving a tickling sensation in her forelegs. Was this how Trixie had felt when she put it on? Her heart thrummed like a hummingbird's wings and almost gave her the sensation of having her own.

As ecstatic as she felt, there was work to be done. Setting her gaze to the TS8 Formula, she gave one command to the Alicorn Amulet: to increase her formula's potency.

Lightning the color of jade stones crackled at her horn. Her eyes glinted briefly in the same precious hue. Her electrifying aura jumped from her horn and attacked the vial. Coiling around the glass like a snake, it buzzed and zapped as the formula glowed intensely, then faded, like a dying scream. The bubbles that had constantly wandered diminished, warping the white liquid into a dozen hues until Twilight, satisfied with her work, ended the spell.

The lightning receded back into her horn, tracing the creases that twirled along it. Her eyesight blurred a bit as a slight hiccup in drinking in all that magic, but refocused just as quickly.

Her head pulsed like a violent heartbeat, making her clutch it in both hooves. "Ah . . . mm . . . I can't say Celestia didn't have a point with its dangers. But I can't let her control me. Maybe I should show her the true extent of what it could do -"

Taking that as a sign that its corruption was already pining for her, she tore it off. It tried to bring her back, but she would have none of it. After locking the drawer tightly, the feeling of coldness finally vanished, freeing her to breathe again.

"Now . . . let's see what happened . . ." Twilight walked to the table. To her surprise, its color was now that green that her horn shot wit the amulet on. "Huh. I guess . . . dark magic used selflessly has different color effects," she said, not completely sure. Much as she wanted to explore this new development, she'd dawdled long enough; it was time to begin testing.

Taking another sigh, she raised the vial and quickly downed the entire glass in three gulps.

As predicted, it indeed tasted bitter, but also had a salty quality to it, almost like drinking sea water. It stung her throat like so, and left her thirstier than before, but she refrained from taking anymore water until she was done recording.

"Eleven fifty P.M. It's done. I've taken in ten fluid ounces - the entire contents - of the TS8 Formula." She wrote down what she'd first experienced, then continued as more side effects kicked in. "I f-feel . . . a bit lightheaded . . ." Her quill shook in her aura, forcing her to tighten her grip until it snapped. She cursed, fetching a new one. Heat prickled her veins as beady sweat dampened her neck. She threw off her sweater, not minding that it bunched up under her hooves.

As she turned back to the journal, bubbly laughter overtook her, the effects of her lightheadedness combining with a sense of euphoria.

"No noticeable . . . behavioral . . . differences . . ." She managed to hold in her laughter long enough for it to fade, allowing to her to regain some sense of seriousness. "I don't . . . feel any of the main ef-effects quite yet, but due to the current reactions, I believe this is the first stage of the formula's effects."

With a sigh, she set the quill down again and walked back to the window, chuckling softly. She couldn't help it; the tingling in her veins tickled like crazy. As the sensation finally ebbed back to slight prickles, she rested her head on the glass watched the stars in a dreamy trance.

"Now the die is cast;

Nothing left to lose

"Time alone will prove

My theories through!

"I'll show Equestria that I'm . . ."

She never finished her verse, for it was replaced with a gasp. "Oh . . . d-dear Alicorns . . ."

The pain first pricked gently in her chest, but then exploded through her entire body in a scorching flare. Twilight yelped and jumped back, violently swatting at her forelegs. The soft heat in her veins evolved into searing acid and tore at her legs, crippling her balance as her head banged into the floor. The shock blackened her vision briefly, and a crushing pulse ran through her skull.

Help me! Somepony! A wild paroxysm of convulsions wracked her body, her legs twitching hysterically. She so desperately she wanted to scream, but the salty bite of the Formula burned at her throat. Hot tears streamed in her eyes, the walls of the study melting into a contortion of stained-glass. Her horn crackled pathetically, bright sparks raining from the tip.

T-that's it . . . Lu-luna's out . . . patrolling . . . Distress s-signal . . . Biting past the pain, she lifted her head and prepared a flare spell. Magenta filled the creases in her horn and surged into a blinding ball of light . . . only for the clawed hands of the Alicorn Amulet to puncture into her spine. The spell shot only two feet before fizzling out into nothingness.

Hope died out faster than the air in her lungs. Wh-what? How did . . . ? Something knew what she was doing and disabled her, because now those icy hands took hold of her neck, restraining her and cutting off her magic. They next tore into her mind and began filling it with something cold as Death's fingers. Her head throbbed as her heartbeat drummed in her skull, and her legs became numb and heavy as wood.

Then, like Death's scythe dealing its killing blow, a slash of raw agony struck Twilight's heart, and the light in her eyes faded. Blackness crept over her vision as she whispered.

"S-spike . . . "

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊

A stillness as quiet as death crept over the study. So quiet that one could hear the moonlight twinkling as it fell on the still form of Doctor Sparkle. No breath was taken, nor any heartbeat drumming.

Her coat had become matted with sweat, with stray hairs jutting out, and her mane had become tangled in her struggling. A thin trail of blood painted her muzzle subsequent to hitting her head, shattering the illusion of her merely being asleep after a long period of exhaustion.

Then, as the midnight alarm faintly chimed from the bell tower of the castle, a high-pitched whining sounded. A shimmering light sparked at the tip of her horn. To call it silvery would be incorrect; this light was not pure like silver, for it looked more like a glimmer that just barely escaped a mud-splotched diamond. Dull and lifeless.

The whining diminished, and as it did, the spark spread from her horn like ink spilled on paper, to her head, then to the rest of her body, sucking away her lavender hue and starburst cutie mark and replacing it with a grey, dark as burnt ash. The same thing happened to her mane; the cobalt of her mane, pink and purple streaks included, were eaten away and instead given a poisonous purple.

Her chest began to rise and fall. A soft moan dripped from her lips as her face clenched. Her hooves twitched as well, almost imitating running.

Awake.

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊

She gasped as she awoke with a jolt, as though being yanked to the surface after so long of drifting underwater. The air she sucked writhed in her lungs, forcing her to hack it out violently, along with a thick glob of what she was certain felt like blood. Her eyes, feeling glued shut, took great effort to be opened, and when she did, was met with a piercing ray of moonlight, at which she hissed, and pawed at her eyes.

When they at last readjusted to the light, they traced their surroundings. Bookshelves, a large window, and glass laying about on the floor. Glass . . . she didn't remember knocking anything over . . .

Standing herself up, she felt her tendons bending and stretching to her will, and her heartbeat hammering in her chest. That mixed with the sheathing and unsheathing sounds of her breath made a cacophony of madness, yet at the same time, peace. Her hoofsteps were lighter than she remembered as she wandered around the study, eyes flitting on anything that caught her interest. In fact, nothing in her body or soul seemed familiar; not like she was a different pony entirely, but that she was . . . rebooted? Yes, that may have been the correct word.

Her eyes fell on a leather-bound journal that sat next to a snuffed-out candle. Using the moonlight, she read the open entry. Friendship . . . natures . . . TS8. She slowly remembered that she was the doctor. Doctor Twilight Sparkle, who had used the Alicorn Amulet to increase the formula's effects to separate a pony's natures.

. . . Which explained why she didn't feel like herself, like she was in a suit of armor too small for her. "So. It did work." She hardly blinked at the surprise that her voice had changed. It still had a 'Twilight Sparkle' feeling, but it was deeper-toned and had a spirit of serenity. It was beautiful and cool, like a waterfall inside a cave.

But if the TS8 Formula worked, why was her voice altered like this? Recalling the glass shards - which she presumed came from knocking a cup over in her seizure - she scoured the floor in search of a particularly large shard, not minding that she stepped on the smaller bits.

Finding one that fit her liking, she eyed her dull reflection. Her coat was a dark grey and her mane a long, tangled mess of sickly purple. Her cutie mark was gone, obviously meaning that any shred of Twilight Sparkle had gone with it. But her eyes . . . they were two precious jadestones with black slits cut through the middle. But they weren't the normal slits of a batpony of Luna's guard. Wide at the top, they thinned and curled slightly near the lower eyelid, like a snake's eyes.

It made sense now. The TS8 Formula had indeed separated her natures, but did far more than that. The freedom she felt in her soul was not one of innocence. In being separated from her nature of goodness, her evil had been reborn as the mare she was now; she could feel it. As her heart pulsed, so too did an insatiable desire lurch at her like the claws of the amulet.

But first, she needed to write. "I am a doctor, after all," she whispered with a rasp. "I must record my findings; as any good doctor should."

When she approached the journal, her right hoof, as though being lifted by a marionette string, began to reach for the book. She then snarled, slapping it away with her free hoof, then skimmed over the words, until her eyes stopped at one particular sentence:

'After this night falls, I will see to it the Governors will no longer hide the truth of what I'm doing.' She looked again at her reflection and grimaced; not at the image, but that a name so light-hearted as 'Twilight Sparkle' did not fit this mare.

Taking the glass shard in her mouth, she cut a deep gash into the meat of her right upper leg and bit back a groan. She watched as the blood seeped out in thin lines along her foreleg and dribbled to the floor. Next she looked at the quill and focused on it, clenching her eyes shut.

Nothing happened.

She glowered at its insolence and tried again, this time imagining puppet strings latching to, and lifting it. The sound of magic tinkling barely sounded. When she opened her eyes again she saw that a very faint aura of jade surrounded the quill.

Satisfied, she dipped the point deeply into the red ink. Not minding the excess drippings, she set quill to paper and crossed out all of the words in that sentence. Except three:

'After this night falls, I will see to it the Governors will no longer hide the truth of what I'm doing.'

Yes . . . It was partially synonymous with her previous name, yet worked on its own with who she was now. It may have seemed, to others, jarring and awry, but that was what made it perfect. As her evil reborn, her name reflected that of deformity; it was meant to be awry.

"September . . . fourteenth," she purred softly, "Twelve. . . o'six A.M. . . . All is well~ . . ." At the bottom of the page, she wrote her newly-donned name:

Nightfall Hyde.

She dropped the quill beside the name, leaving a large splatter on the parchment. Laugher escaped her lips with the glee she couldn't and refused to contain.

Swiping up the cloak she'd tossed aside, as Twilight, Nightfall walked to the window, tightening the clasp and fixing the hood. At least generous little Rarity knew what she was doing, letting her keep it.

Grinning with immense satisfaction, Nightfall continued her 'entry', ignoring the fact she wasn't writing anymore. "I am pleased to say, the TS8 Formula worked better than I could ever have hoped. Thanks to my . . . inclusion of the Alicorn Amulet, I've come across a very pleasant new development . . ."

Link

A tremor surged through her body, one of both pure exhilaration and pain. She relished it. Everything she felt, regardless of it being pleasant or not, were reminders that she was alive. Alive. Such an . . . invigorating word . . . She laughed a raspy chuckle, whispering very softy:

"Free . . ."

Nightfall let out a vicious cackle and threw the balcony doors open.

"What is this feeling of power and drive I've never known?

I feel alive!

"Where does this feeling of power derive

Making me know why I'm alive?"

Dark, glittering shadows suddenly formed. Bearing no faces, rather masks of empty air, they danced around her, even sang along in hushed whispers. She grinned at the shadows, amused, and weaved her way around them. She stared at the stars, leaning into the railing.

"Like the night, it's a secret

Sinister, dark, and unknown

"I do not know what I seek yet,

But I'll seek it alone!

"I have a thirst that I cannot deprive

One that I shall truly connive!

"There is no danger I couldn't survive,

Feeling like this!

"Feeling alive!"

With a quick thrust of her foreleg, she dissolved the shadows into a long ribbon, that twisted around her body and lifted her slightly as she sneered at the heavens.

"Like Luna in an enigma,

Lost and alone in my strife

"Damned by some heavenly stigma,

But blazing with life!"

She leapt off the balcony, plummeting to the pavement. The shadowy ribbon spun much faster, surging her towards the ground as she landed with a sickening crack of the pavement. She burst into a dash through the streets.

"It's the feeling of being alive!

"Filled with evil, but truly alive!

"'Tis a truth that cannot be denied!

"It's the feeling of being Nightfall Hyde!"

She laughed euphorically, the glee contorting her face as she stared out at the city. She started to step forward, but felt pain surge in her bones again.

"Wait . . . what's this? Sweetness? Sympathy?" She sighed, amused at the discovery. "I thought I'd lost those feelings." Even as Twilight Sparkle's evil reborn, a little bit a goodness must have been injected into her heart. "It's fate . . . such bliss. But it won't save these ponies from me having a little . . . fun. I'm afraid your folly, Twilight Sparkle, will cost you dear . . ."

She beamed her toothy smile, rasping soft chuckles under her breath, until her eyes fell and narrowed upon Hoity Toity's Fashion Emporium; Quite the pompous sympathizer towards Blueblood's 'cause' in trying to tear down her other half's work.

Who was he to judge Twilight Sparkle's work in the field of medicine when he had apathy for everything except his frilly gowns and flashy tuxes?

Nightfall hissed with pleasure, fangs protruding from her canines and eyes alighting jade. "I'm here . . . I fear . . . and you will pay dear, my dear Hoity."