• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 2,865 Views, 113 Comments

Sparkyll and Hyde - Dragon Spire



Within every one of us, even the best of us, there is an essence of Good, and an essence of Evil. Twilight Sparkle will soon discover that there is a cost for tampering with the two essences

  • ...
12
 113
 2,865

Act I: Chapter Three

Act I: Chapter Three:
What's Behind the Façade

Project TS: Entry 515.

Date: September 13th

Time: 4:32 PM

Since my meeting with my colleagues five days ago, I have returned to Ponyville to restudy my books in search of a solution to my current problem: that my results on testing animals with the TS8 is invalid to compare with the results of a pony subject. Surely, by returning to my research with fresh eyes, I can find a way to convince the governors to reevaluate my theory.

However, three days into my studies, I had been invited to perform for the delegates of Saddle Arabia, and while I was practicing for that, an emergency came up from a n old enemy boastful performer pony whom declared me her rival.

Except she had thrown a wild card into the mix. The major details are for a story that has little to nothing to do with my project, and therefore will be told another time.

But what really matters here is this pony's wild card: the Alicorn Amulet.

I don't know much about it, but from what the girls found, it's an ancient artifact that can grant anypony - even non-unicorn races - unlimited power. But there's a catch: it corrupts the user the more spells they cast. It's the perfect example of dark magic, something Princess Celestia warned me never to go near.

We just barely got it off Trixie, our visitor, in time, considering how insane she'd nearly become.

But speaking of my mentor, after the ceremony for the delegates, she asked me to retrieve it from Zecora, who currently has it, and bring it to Canterlot.

She knows Zecora is more than trustworthy, and that a witch doctor's hut is the last place a thief would look for it. So why?

But it made me realize, she didn't exactly say that she wanted to lock it away. What if, just what if, she may be interested in trying to reform its magic? As the pony who taught me all I know of our goodness and evil, and the one who told me that anypony can change, it may just be possible that's what she's doing!

That may seem like a joke, but it could be very likely it could happen. Magic, at its very core, is pure. It is only the intentions we have that warps it into what it is; ponies with hearts of darkness, like Sombra, change it into dark magic, which corrupts or kills. But dark magic, like a misunderstood villain, can change for the better. So why can't an artifact of said magic?

With that asked, I'll make note that I've taken the liberty of moving all my equipment to my study in Canterlot - with Princess Celestia's consent, of course. Once my theory is proved, I will use the formula on my mother. And until that happens, I want to stay as close to her as possible. The girls don't know this yet; I don't want them to worry needlessly about me when they already know about how my meeting went.

But anyway, once I go to Canterlot tonight and deliver the amulet to Princess Celestia, I'll ask what her intentions are for it. Surely she must have something good planned for it. Surely.

I'll make a new entry once I've settled in Canterlot.

~Doctor Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight closed her journal and slipped it into her, sighing contently with having her thoughts poured out on the pages. She swiveled in her seat at a stone table and faced her best friends; Spike, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie. They all waited in patiently for her to finish up her entry.

"So you done there yet?" asked Rainbow, who was bucking a hacky sack to Pinkie, and caught it from her as it was tossed back.

The doctor nodded. "Yes, I am now."

"Why does Princess Celestia want the amulet so badly?" Fluttershy murmured. "Doesn't she know how dangerous it is?"

"That's what I'll find out when I see her," she reassured her. "I'm leaving to get it from Zecora shortly. But once I'm done getting it to the princess, it's back to work for me. This business with the amulet has already taken up too much of my time."

"Wha - ow!" Rainbow recoiled, the hacky sack colliding with her eye.

"Sorry, Dashie, sorry!" called Pinkie.

Picking up the hacky sack, while simultaneously rubbing her eyeball, she replied, "Don't mention it, Pinks. It's all good." Then turning to Twilight, "What do you mean, you're going back to work? You've been working your flank off since that stupid meeting!"

"I'm sorry, Rainbow. But I need to examine every existing option to work around my colleagues ruling."

Applejack had been playing with Winona, her dog, but took a seat beside her. "I appreciate your diligence an' all, but Rainbow's got herself a point; even a hard-workin' mare like myself needs a break every so often."

"Yes, darling," said Rarity, who was occupying herself with cleaning the table with a sanitary cloth. "You shouldn't be wasting valuable time thinking about those pompous fools. Making yourself so intricately wound up like you are is exactly what they want!"

There was no denying that. Octavia, especially, would do anything to take bliss in Twilight's suffering.

"I know, girls, but it's imperative to me that I finish my work. Every day that I delay is another day that my mother and many other have to stay in their comas and asylums." She rose, checking the inside of her saddlebag for the formula.

Following her sigh that confirmed it was there, Rainbow hovered over to her. "Hold on. I get wanting to do a ton of work for something good, but would it really be that great, your mom finally waking up, but seeing you like a zombie from overdoing it?" Before she could conjure a response she shouted, "Well, Spike, when was the last time she kicked back?"

The little dragon, engulfed in his comic book, pulled away, tapping his claws. "Hmm. She came home to study five days ago . . . she found the Mirror water with Pinkie, mixed potions with Zecora three days before that . . . helped save the Crystal Empire . . ."

He would have kept going, but Rainbow cut it, "My thoughts exactly. It's high time for a break."

"Um . . ." There was no way out of this. With six sets of eyes watching her, she couldn't think up a lie without getting caught. "Alright," she sighed. "I'll . . . take some time off. But only after I finish my work!" All of them started to protest, though Fluttershy was merely begging with her eyes rather than the others, but she put her hoof down. "I'm so close that I can almost taste it. It wouldn't be right to quit then. But I promise I'll take plenty of rest once that's done."

"Pinkie Promise?" Pinkie's eyes begged.

She groaned. "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." Although unenthusiastic about the wording, the promise itself, she'd keep. "Now, I'd better go get the amulet," she added, seeing the sun starting to set. "I've got a long night ahead of me."

"Oh, but please be careful," Fluttershy whimpered. "Only the Alicorns know what's in that Everfree Forest.

"Don't . . . worry . . . Fluttershy!" said Pinkie Pie, taking the hacky sack to bounce on her head. "What -" boink "- Could possibly -" boink "- Go wrong?"

The pegasus retreated deeper into her mane. "I'm sure I could think of a few things." She started to squeak, until Applejack got to her.

"Iffin' you that worried, 'Shy, I'll go with Twilight to get that amulet. That okay with you, sugarcube?"

Twilight nodded. "I'd really appreciate the company."

Spike looked up again. "Are you sure you don't want me to come along? I can help!"

"I appreciate that, Spike," said Twilight, nudging her saddlebag towards him, "But I just don't feel comfortable bringing the formula with me. I've put too much work into it, and I don't want it getting lost or destroyed. So what you can do to help is watch it for me."

"Got it!"

"Alrighty, then," cheered Applejack. "Let's go!" She charged towards the looming forest without waiting for the doctor.

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊

When the two arrived at Zecora's hut, Twilight knocked quietly, then waited.

"Ya probably don't wanna burst in there like when the parasprites came to town," Applejack had warned her.

The door opened silently, Zecora stepping into the frame. "Ah, I welcome you, Applejack and Twilight. Of your pleasant visit, what is your highlight?"

She gestured the two to enter. Intricate masks decorated the room, and in spaces where they weren't were long shelves filled with various potions. In the center of the room was a cauldron with a simmering pink liquid, and steam from it wafted upward to a gaping hole that Twilight presumed was a chimney.

"Perhaps a spot of tea, to share with you and me?" the zebra offered, holding three empty cups.

"Beggin' your pardon, Zecora," Applejack smiled, "But we ain't here for a social call. See, the princess asked for the custody of the Alicorn Amulet, and asked Twi here to bring it over."

Zecora looked skeptical at first. Anyone could trot in pretending to be, or manipulating, them into getting the amulet from her. But when Twilight took out the letter that Princess Celestia wrote, she eased up.

Taking the parchment from her, she carefully read over its cursive lettering. When finished, she sighed, "I know not what she plans with this jewel, but I do not take her for a fool. Safe in her care, it will be, and of its grasp, I will be free."

"'Of its grasp, I will be free?" questioned Twilight. But the zebra already turned her back towards a green and blue mask depicting a windigo. She pressed something there, causing it to rotate and reveal a compartment sealed with a slab of oak. As she nosed it upward, Twilight asked again, "Are you in some kind of trouble?"

She paused. "No, Twilight Sparkle. I've had no trouble. Only with it here, my stress has doubled. Now that the Amulet I can release, I may return to my potions in peace." She pushed the wood the rest of the way. Inside was the cursed item. Wings of silver and ruby spread out like a harbinger's hooves, the Alicorn's eyes bore into Twilight with a malice that still frightened her.

She felt Applejack lay a hoof on her. She must have been shaking, because she mouthed, 'It's okay.'

Zecora brought it over and dropped it into Twilight's hooves. Having left her saddlebag with Spike, she didn't know how to handle it. But Applejack quickly solved that problem; she removed her hat, put the Amulet in, and set it back on.

"Take great care delivering this," Zecora eyed them both, "Else your duty will be remiss."

"Don't you worry none," said Applejack. "We've got this tighter than a cat in the bag."

They started for the door, but Twilight stopped. "Um, Zecora? What do you think Princess Celestia is planning with the amulet? Could she be doing more than just locking it away?"

Applejack looked surprised at this sudden pondering. So did the zebra.

When she recovered, she rebuked, "I pray that such interest will never come to be. Through her and this jewel, a dark fate will guarantee."

Twilight turned back to her. "But . . . with her magic, she could reform the dark magic in it, couldn't she? And if ever the Elements of Harmony were ever put out of commission, we could use that magic instead!"

Zecora furrowed her eyebrows; in frustration, or in suspicion of her curiosity, Twilight wasn't sure. "Evil is evil, no matter how one says it, and seeking this black art will only death emit."

"Evil is . . ." Twilight bit her lip in exasperation. Was she the only one who didn't know about this? Did this zebra even know anyone who tried it, or was she just being prejudiced toward it?

"C'mon, Twi, you'll be late for the train. Y'all can talk 'bout this later." Applejack tried to pull her out the door, but Twilight risked one more question.

"But how do you know? Do you know of anypony - in history or in stories - who have tried to use dark magic with good intentions, to reform it?"

She paused, pondering her answer. "To my knowledge, there are none which speak of this," she finally said. "For dark magic is a subject to dismiss."

She was avoiding the subject, deliberately. Why? Was she so afraid of what could happen if one tried, that she was actively trying to dissuade any encouragement to? If so, it was the second time this week Twilight had been prevented from exploring the possibilities, only because of their fear of the unknown!

Twilight fought not to show any visible anger toward Zecora's cowardice. Of course, it was understandable that she couldn't take a chance like that. But it wasn't right to discourage another's curiosity for it!

"I must ask you, Twilight Sparkle, for the name," she resumed, breaking Twilight's train of thought, "Of the one curious like a moth to flame. Somepony is eager to question me, so who seeks to use dark magic, I plea?"

Sweat beaded her neck. She couldn't afford to let Zecora think that she was interested in using dark magic. She wasn't. But if it could be reformed, then it was worth the question. After a pause, she looked to Applejack. There was a clear reason she wasn't the Element of Honesty.

"Trixie asked me about it." She felt her friend stiffen behind her. "She came back to me today, said she wanted to do some good for the world of unicorns by using her experience to reform dark magic. I was going to explain to her why it was dangerous, but I guess I didn't have the answers I needed." She shrugged her shoulders at the last statement. "But now that this matter's settled, I can lead Trixie away from the stuff."

To her relief, Zecora bought the lie. "I am pleased that you are guiding her to the path of light. Using dark magic will only create a life contrite. It would be ill to find that she hid beneath a dark façade, believing that her redemption was - like her shows - just a fraud."

"Well, I'm glad that's cleared up, Zecora." Truthfully, she wanted to say that if a villain could be brought to the light, then a type of magic could, too. But she bit her tongue and forced a smile.

Waving good-bye to the zebra, the two left the tree, and trotted along the forest path. The trip back was uneventful. Despite Fluttershy's warnings, there was no danger that met them, not even in the paths of manticore and timberwolf territory. Undoubtedly, the creatures were far more concerned about gathering food for the coming winter than picking on two ponies passing by.

It wasn't long before Twilight felt her friend's stare lingering on her. She wanted to know what happened when she lied to Zecora. Ignoring it wouldn't do her any good, so she finally said, "I just wanted to clear something on my mind, that's all. I was curious, okay?"

Her friend relaxed. "I still don't think you shoulda lied to her, though."

"If she knew what I was really thinking, she would have been on my case for hours." They both knew by the tone she used, like a mother scolding a child for asking what rat poison tasted like.

But in this case, the rat poison was disguised as box full of diamonds. One would just have to wash out the dangerous stuff first.

Applejack sighed. "I s'pose she would have. But that stuff she said 'bout a façade, it makes me feel like you're just like the governors."

She stiffened. She didn't mean it like that, but it still took Twilight a few breaths to remind herself. "I am nothing like the governors. I lied just once, so I wouldn't needlessly worry her. My colleagues, they're the ones hiding behind masks and pretending to be something they're not." She continued, not even waiting if she'd follow.

"So they value their money over advances in medical stuff, I get that." Applejack caught up to her quickly. "But is that why you really hate 'em so much?"

Several hoofbeats passed before Twilight said, "Is it that obvious that I hate them?" Not sarcasm. Really, did she hate the governors, sans Fancy Pants? Her friend nodded, to which she sighed. "It's not just their money. Canterlot revolves around this one phrase, 'only the strong survive'. But not the physically strong. The popular. It's all a game to see who gets the highest on the social ladder. And the more amazing everypony thinks one is, the higher up they go."

Three more hoofbeats. Applejack guessed, "And considering your work is . . . not very appreciated, since your methods are different an' all, that means the Governors rejecting it makes them more popular?"

"Yes. Even though they say they're all for advancing the field of medicine, the fact that my work's undesirable by the majority makes the governors instead choose to parade around in their own masks. It makes them their own hypocrites, just like us all in one way or another."

" . . . Just like us? But I ain't -"

Link

She took Applejack's hoof as they broke into the main part of town. Perhaps this would be a good way to explain.

"There's a face that we wear in Celestia's day

It's society's mask, it's society's way

And the truth is; that it's all a façade!

"There's a face that we hide 'till Luna's stars come shine!"

Applejack blinked, starting to get it.

"An' what's hidin' inside, what they choose to confine -"

"Is our true self!" they sang in unison. "Locked inside the façade!"

They looked to their left and right, to the neighbors whose dark secrets were their own. They took notice of them and ran to the street to join.

"Everyday,

Ponies, in their own sweet way,

Like to add a coat of paint -"

"An' be what they ain't!"

"That's how our little -"

"Game is played;

Living out a masquerade!

Acting a bizarre charade!"

"While playing the saint!

"But there's one thing I know, and I know it for sure:

This disease that we've got is not meant for a cure,

But I'm certain, life is terribly hard -"

"When your life's a façade!"

Rarity suddenly burst from the crowd, ensnaring both ponies in her forelegs, one pointing out to various bystanders.

"Look around you, I have found you cannot tell by looking at the surface what is lurking there beneath it!"

Then pointing at one of the mail-ponies:

"See that face? Well, I'm prepared to gamble, what you see is not what you get,

For we're all masters of deceit!"

"So what's this darn sinister secret?

The lies that they tell you are true -"

"It's that each soul you meet on the street isn't one soul, but two!"

"Nearly everypony seen,

Like him, and her, and you and me

Pretends to be a pillar of society!"

"A model for propriety -"

"Sobriety and piety!"

"Who shudders at the thought of notoriety!"

"The fillies and colts here before you,

Which none of them ever admit,

May have saintly looks, but they could be heartless crooks;"

"Hypocrites -"

"Hypocrites!"

Rarity, Twilight, and Applejack stood in a triangle, facing each other while everyone else circled them.

"There are preachers who kill, there are killers who preach!"

"There are teachers who lie, there are liars who teach!"

"Take your pick, dear, for it's all a façade!"

Twilight took the lead, trotting through town with the rest behind her.

"If we're not one, but two, are we evil or good?

Do we walk the fine line that we'd cross if we could?"

"Are we waiting to break through the façade?"

"One or two might look kinda well-to-do.

"Ha!

"They're as bad as me and you, right down to their hooves!"

"I'm inclined to think -"

"Half Equine thinks the other half is blind!

Wouldn't be surprised to find -"

"They're all in cahoots!"

The doctor stopped, spun toward her crowd as her friends, all of them, joined her.

"At the end of the day, we don't mean what we say,

We don't say what we mean, we don't ever come clean!"

"And our answer, is it's all a façade!"

"Is it's all a façade!"

"We are not one, but two,

We are evil and good

And we walk the fine line we'd all cross if we could!"

"It's a nightmare we can never discard!"

"So we stay on our guard!"

"Though we love the Façade!"

"What's behind the Façade?"

"Look behind . . . the Façade."

Everyone suddenly scattered away, leaving behind the six ponies and one dragon for their routines.

"Where'd everypony come from?" Twilight rhetorically asked.

Hopping next to her, Pinkie put a hoof on her shoulder, giggling quietly. "Everypony knows that song was an ensemble! You really shouldn't sing that as a duet!"

"Erm . . ." Twilight tried to unravel what she meant, but ultimately gave up. "Never mind. It's best if I get the amulet out to Princess Celestia while I still have my bearings."

Applejack removed the amulet from her hat, breathing with relief that nobody had tried to swipe it during that flash-mob, and set it in the saddlebag that Spike held for her.

"Do take care on your trip, dear," Rarity warned. "I now more than a handful of lowlifes willing to mug you for that amulet. Especially that no-account, self-centered creature, Blueblood!" Her jaw ground into itself as she presumably flashed back to her worst 'best night ever'.

"I'll be careful, Rarity." Twilight slipped the saddlebag on and tightened the straps. "As long as it's with me, nopony's going to abuse its power. Or use it at all, for that matter." She then noticed a mail-pony - the same one Rarity pointed at before - approaching them with a letter in hoof.

"Good afternoon. Letter delivery for Rainbow Dash. Sign here, please?"

After doing as asked, Rainbow took the letter and paid a small tip, which was gratefully accepted as she excused herself to continue her shift.

Reading the letter's address, she raised an eyebrow. "Canterlot? I dunno anypony in Canterlot."

"A secret admirer, perhaps?" teased Rarity, batting her eyes. "In all seriousness, it could be important if it's from Canterlot."

Rainbow tore into the letter. Minutes passed by as she carefully read it word by word, until a smile painted her face.

"Well? Who's you new lover?" asked Pinkie, poking her with her elbow.

"For one thing, it's from an old friend of mine and Fluttershy's." Rainbow waved the mentioned pony over to let her read. She, too, smiled, more so than Rainbow. When taking the letter back, she continued. "And she's invited all of us to a special event in Canterlot that solves my 'Twilight Needs a Vacation' problem."

Twilight stammered a bit. "B-b-but I already Pinkie Promised that I'd take a vacation after my work was done! You can't -"

"So take a night off now, and then take a real vacation when your work is done! Besides, when you were gone, I got the feeling that anything we'd invite you to tonight would be rejected. You deserve this. So, I sent a letter to the Princess to tell her." She hovered close to her, smiling maliciously. "And you know what she replied back?"

She handed Twilight a scroll with the Princess's royal insignia ribbon stamped at the bottom. Twilight reluctantly took it, reading it aloud.

"'Dear Rainbow Dash, your concerns for my student are greatly appreciated, and will be addressed. Twilight, if you are reading this, please consider how hard you've worked to get this far over the last few years. I understand you want to aid your mother as soon as possible, but take it upon yourself to take a few days off your work. As for the matter with the amulet, I trust you with the task I've asked of you, but do not worry yourself over returning it tonight. I will come for it one week from now, enough time to for a vacation from your work.

" 'Yours truly, Celestia.' "

Twilight's eye twitched slightly. "You . . . sent a letter . . . to Princess Celestia . . . asking her to order me to take time off!"

"Twi, you need this as much as anypony else," Spike sighed, fist-bumping with Rainbow. Then he grinned, "And you wouldn't want to directly disobey the princess, would you?"

"Uh . . . But, I . . ." Twilight held back a curse, and instead repeatedly banged her head against a nearby bench. When finally through, she groaned. "Fine. But when whatever this special event your friend is throwing is over, I'm going back work, because the princess didn't say I had to take exactly a week off!"

"Wouldn't expect anything less from you," chuckled Applejack.

Rainbow took flight and said, "Since we've all been invited to this thing in Canterlot, head back home and grab whatever you need. Tonight's scheduled for a cold night. Let's meet back here in fifteen."

As everyone darted off to their homes, Rainbow laughed to herself. "And I'm sure Silver Mist'll give us a warm welcome."