• Published 6th Apr 2014
  • 3,985 Views, 251 Comments

A World Without Princesses - PonyTom



Celestia disappeared after sealing her sister away, and, left to it's own devices, Equestria grew with less a focus on magic and more on industry. But old legends will resurface, and a hero must rise...

  • ...
18
 251
 3,985

Chapter 17 - Cracked

The fields moved unevenly before Macintosh's eyes. Trees, bushes, the occasional building, anything closer seemed to zip by before he could give it a proper thought. In the distance, the hills moves slower, enough that he could contemplate them, but not enough to linger on them. Further off, hills and mountains almost seemed to sit still, as if frozen in time while the rest of the world changed around them.

It would be beautiful on any other given occasion, more so if he didn't feel the wet spot on his shoulder. He groaned, shaking his cousin awake. "Braeburn, yer droolin' on me."

Braeburn shot up, snorting, blinking his eyes groggily. "Huh? What? We there yet? Where are we?"

"Not yet," said Big Mac with a sigh, leaning on his hoof and staring forlornly out the window.

"We're close though," shouted Pinkie, hopping up in her seat, much to Twilight's annoyance. "I remember that rock we just passed by! And that one! And that one! And that one! Oh, that one's new!"

"So tell me, Pinkie," piped Fluttershy gently, a soft smile on her face, "is there any kind of critters or animals that live near your home?"

"Nope!" Pinkie smiled big. Fluttershy seemed confused by this, and seemed to want to ask more, but before she could, Pinkie jumped across the aisle and past Macintosh, pressing her face into the window. "We're here!" Indeed, the train screeched as it began to slow it's pace, until it eventually crawled to a stop, letting loose a loud hiss. It wasn't long before ponies were milling about, leaving the train, gathering their belongings, and disappearing to wherever it was they were off to. Macintosh was thankful that he didn't need to bring much; anything he could need could be shoved in a saddlebag. As the group left the train, Big Mac looked upon their new surroundings, and found himself somewhat surprised by the sight before him.

It was a bustling town, similar to Ponyville, although much smaller in scale. Judging by it's size, he gathered it must be a relatively newer settlement, although much like Ponyville did it seemed like it might be growing quickly. As the group left the train station, Macintosh caught sight of a statue of a stallion; he had mutton chops, a wide-brimmed hat, and wore a modest coat, with a pickaxe in his mouth and one hoof on a rock that was cracked. A plaque at the bottom of the statue caught his eye.

'Founder of Ponyrock
Igneous Rock Pie'

Everypony stared at the plaque for a moment before turning their attention to Pinkie Pie, who smiled brightly up at the statue. "Oh! Papa had the statue made! I was wondering if he'd go through with it!"

"Papa!?" Everypony shouted at once. Pinkie noticed they were all staring at her.

"What? Didn't I tell you? My Papa founded Ponyrock!"

"But how!?" Twilight looked up at the statue and back to Pinkie Pie, her mind seeming like it was trying to process what was going on. "Didn't you say your family farmed... well... rocks?"

"Mhm," said Pinkie, nodding her head wildly, "the best rocks in Equestria! We got rocks that make some of the best building material! In today's society, stone work is becoming very important in processing and using as building material!" She hummed a bit, tapping a hoof on her chin. "Plus, to be fair, he sort of discovered a mine when he was young and the news of valuable ore brought travelers from all around and Papa made a killing off of it! He may act like an immature colt half his age, but he's a shrewd businesspony!"

Everypony stared at Pinkie, then to the statue, then back to Pinkie. All at once, everypony decided to simply leave it alone and accept it as it was; chances were if they talked any more about it, they would all go bonkers. Macintosh set his sights back on the town, seeing several homes and buildings that seemed new, even compared to Ponyville's 'New Town'. "Well, let's get to my parents' place! I'm sure they'll want to see their sweet little baby pie after so long!"

As the group made its way through town, Macintosh found himself unable to not look around. It was amazing to see that this place had grown at such a rate. Given Ponyville had grown just as fast (if not faster), it still amazed him to see how many ponies could flock to this place in a few short decades. His attention came quickly to a local blacksmith, who had just handed a pony a pickaxe. Back in Ponyville, the local Blacksmith typically only made horse shoes, as well as a few weapons for the guard. Braeburn's attention fell quickly on a tavern, 'Rock Bottom', that seemed rather cheery and energetic for it's otherwise sad name.

Eventually, the ponies stopped before a gate, and all eyes were on a manor off in the distance. Pinkie approached the guard, smiling wide. "Hiya, Stahlrim! It's been a while!"

The ice-blue stallion smiled at Pinkie Pie, tipping his hat to her. "Lady Pinkie, it has been! How has your venture been going?"

"Oh, well, I moved to Ponyville, helped fund a bakery, moved into said bakery, lost said bakery in a game of poker, won it back in another game of poker, adopted an alligator, found a bit under a couch cushion, stubbed my hoof, and have been hunting fabled magical artifacts for the good of the world!"

Everypony was quiet for a moment, the stallion staring at Pinkie, pursing his lips together. Then, he smiled, shaking his head softly. "Lady Pie, you're a wild card. Never lose that spirit." Stahlrim stepped from his booth, and pushed the gate open for the group, gesturing for them to help themselves in the rest of the way. The yard had a cobblestone walkway that circled around a flower bed with some beautiful flowers, then joined again to form a path towards the manor. The group approached the manor, with Pinkie taking point, and when they finally reached the front door, she gently reached a hoof towards the door, but put it back on the floor and stepped forward, banging her head against the wooden blockade.

"Pinkie!? That's how you knock on doors!?" Twilight stepped forward, observing the pink mare. "I thought you just... you... are you okay!?"

Pinkie looked towards Twilight as if confused by the question. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Twilight stared at Pinkie for a few moments in silence, before shaking her head slowly. "That... explains a lot..." This response seemed to confuse Pinkie Pie, though any response she might have had died when a creak sounded the opening of the door. Everypony turned their attention to see a stallion at the doorway - he was a golden brown color, wearing an earthy brown jacket with a gray waistcoat beneath, a wide-brimmed hat, and a pair of grayed mutton chops on his jaw - he hardly seemed the kind of pony that would live in a mansion at all! He looked towards Pinkie Pie, and gave a silent nod.

"Pinkie Pie."

"Papa!" Pinkie jumped forward, throwing her forelegs around her father's neck and bringing him into a tight embrace. The stallion returned the hug, but it seemed like an empty attempt of a reaction, with no real emotion or anything in it. "Oh Papa, I missed you! How've you been! How's mama? The girls? The family?"

"We're all fine," said Igneous neutrally, almost monotonously, "still keepin' the mines goin'. Still rich."

"I noticed," said Pinkie with a nod, her grin never fading, an energy about her making her seem like she might explode, a fact that Macintosh noticed was heavily contrasted by her father. Igneous turned to look at the others.

"These your friends?"

"Yep!" Pinkie bounced towards Twilight. "This is Twilight Sparkle, my nerdy friend! She knows lots of cool stuff about science and books, and I bet you and her would have hours of exciting conversation!"

The stallion simply nodded, his seemingly emotionless attitude never shifting. "Nice meetin' ya, Miss Sparkle."

"PAPA!" Pinkie groaned, throwing her hooves over her eyes as if in embarrassment, "she's young enough to be your daughter, stop being such a weirdo!" If Igneous had heard Pinkie's reaction (which seemed impossible to miss), he did not acknowledge it. The pink mare huffed. "Now, if you're done being a dog... the other is Fluttershy!" Pinkie waved a hoof at Fluttershy, who suddenly seemed to freeze, her cheeks turning pink. She had no idea what to do. Was Pinkie overreacting? Or was there something she couldn't see? Macintosh could see the emotions warring in her eyes. Igneous simply nodded, and everypony turned to Pinkie, who seemed to accept that reaction. "Thank you! And this is Braeburn," she waved a hoof at the golden stallion, who tipped his hat, though Igneous was quiet. "And, last but not least, Big Macintosh!"

Big Mac held a hoof forward. "Howdy."

Igneous, however, simply stared at the hoof. He turned his eyes towards Big Mac, still as stoic as ever. "Big Macintosh? As in 'Big Macintosh Apple?"

Big Mac was a bit surprised that he knew who he was. He knew the Apple family was well-known throughout Equestria, but he didn't think anypony would know his name. He smiled proudly, and gave a firm nod. "Eeyup."

Igneous was quiet for a few moments, looking back at all the other ponies, and then to Pinkie Pie, then back to Big Mac. "Get off my property."

Macintosh's smile fell, his confidence now shaken and replaced with uncertainty. "What?"

"You heard me," said the stallion, though any emotion his words might convey never reached... well, any of the rest of him beyond his words, "go back outside of that gate. I'd prefer ya leave town if possible."

"Papa?" Pinkie stepped between Big Macintosh and Igneous, her smile strained and her eyes confused, "Why are you doing this? Big Mac didn't do anything wrong, did he?"

"Can't say," said the stallion, cold as ever, "but Apple family ain't welcome here."

"Now wait," said Breaburn, holding up a hoof, "I'm Apple family too, an' you didn't say a word!"

Igneous looked to Braeburn, looking him over a bit. "I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to leave too, Miss Apple."

"Miss!?" Braeburn's cheeks turned red, and he stepped forward. "I'm a stallion!"

Igneous was quiet for a few moments. "They just don't make Apples like they used to anymore." As Braeburn suffered a rage breakdown, Igneous turned to the mares. "You girls are welcome here, but the Apples ain't allowed in here."

Twilight frowned, looking to Pinkie Pie and then to Big Mac. "Uh, I don't know if--"

"Go on ahead," said Big Mac, sighing and shaking his head. Twilight looked to him with a raised eyebrow, silently asking for his certainty. "Jus'... do what ya came to do, an' we'll get out of here soon as we can." Twilight looked between Big Mac and Braeburn, seeming oddly torn at the idea, but her expression became firm and she gave a nod.

Pinkie stepped towards the Apples as Fluttershy and Twilight walked into the house. "I am so, so sorry about this! I have no idea what's gotten into him! He's always so friendly and kind, I've never seen him--"

"Pinkie," said Big Mac, holding a hoof up. "It's okay." Pinkie Pie, however, did not seem convinced. Macintosh smiled a bit, putting a hoof on her shoulder. "Me an' Brae will jus' hit the local pub. When y'all do what ya came here to do, we'll leave." Pinkie's lip trembled a bit, big sad eyes staring back at Macintosh, making him chuckle and shake his head. "Don't worry, we'll be alright. We'll take the time to look 'round town." Pinkie Pie stared at Big Mac silently for a moment before sighing and hanging her head, nodding. She gave Big Mac and Braeburn hugs, before making her way towards the house and past her father. Igneous looked to Big Mac and Braeburn, that cold, stoic expression on his face not shifting even in the slightest. He turned, went into the house, and shut the door.

"Well," said Braeburn with a sigh, "that's kinda discouraging." The Apple stallions turned, making their way out of the property, the sound of the gate being closed behind them barely worth noting. "Came all this way an' her old man hates us?"

"Strange," said Big Mac with a nod, "considerin' we might technically be kin."

The two stallions made their way into the center of town where most of the businesses and bustle seemed to be. There was only one place on their minds right now, one place to go, one place to calm down; the local pub. While Braeburn loved to go to pubs to flirt with women and get as inebriated as he could without succumbing to alcohol poisoning, Macintosh used such visits as an opportunity to do a few things, such as seeing if his family's products had reached so far, or occasionally learning some town gossip. It was something he intended to do tonight, though he didn't expect much to come from it.

As they pushed the doors open and stepped into the town tavern, they were greeted by the sounds of conversation, laughter, and a pianist playing a tune on the piano. The Apple Stallions made their way to the bar, each taking a seat, and the tender was quick to greet them. He had a dark grey coat, wore a dress shirt with a waistcoat and a small, ribbon-like bowtie, and had no mane to speak of. "Hello newbies, ain't seen you here before. What can I get ya?"

"Got any Apple Family Apple Cider?"

The stallion nodded, making his way towards the bottles on the wall, grabbing one bottle and returning to the stallions with it. "How many?"

"Two," said Big Mac with a nod. The bartender poured two glasses of the amber liquid, and gave them to the Apple cousins. The bartender sat the bottle out of the way, but kept it nearby as he went back to work cleaning an empty mug. Macintosh and Braeburn took sips of their drinks, enjoying the familiar flavor of their family's trademarked drink. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about Igneous Rock, would you?"

The tender smirked, shrugging. "Well, I hear a lot these days, and that pony is pretty much connected to the roots of this town, so I may know a thing or two. Why do you ask?"

Big Mac considered for a moment asking what he was about to ask. How could this bite him in the flank? Could it turn on him? Could he get chased out of town? He decided that it was not likely; otherwise they wouldn't serve his family's drinks. "You wouldn't happen to know why Igneous hates the Apple family, would ya?"

The bar tender pursed his lips a bit, humming. "Well, now that's new. 'Fraid I wouldn't know anything about that." Macintosh sighed and nodded, supposing it was too much to hope that somepony in this town would know something like that about a stallion who seemed to be as expressive as the very rocks he built his town over. It was almost an oddity that Pinkie Pie was related to him! Still, he supposed he had done all he could do for the time being.

So, Macintosh and Braeburn drank. Once in a while, Braeburn would flirt with one of the waitresses, though such attempts bore no fruit. Macintosh was content to simply relax, enjoy the piano music, and wait. For what, he wasn't sure, but waiting is what he would do, just as he said he would. Time seemed to move at a crawl though, and Big Mac found himself missing home; at least then he could leave and return home, do some chores, read a book, something. Here, he was at the mercy of whatever the town offered, and he knew too little to take advantage of that. Perhaps he would look around later on?

An hour passed, and both stallions had long since finished their drinks, which meant Macintosh had to convince Braeburn to eat rather than drink himself stupid and make an idiot of himself in a new town (possibly damaging their already wounded reputation with the Pie family). Macintosh then became aware of somepony sitting next to him, so he turned to give a sideways glance to see Twilight Sparkle having taken a chair next to him. "Oh, hey Twilight," he said, smiling a little to have something change things up a little, "how's things?"

Twilight responded with a sigh, placing a hoof on the bridge of her nose. "Well, there was an.... argument...? Something that happened between Pinkie and Igneous that his lack of emotion can best allow as an argument happened," said Twilight, waving her hoof, "but long story short, she's grounded."

Macintosh raised a brow. "Grounded? Ain't she a grown mare?"

"Yeah," said Twilight, rolling her eyes, "but Pinkie Pie loves her family too dearly to challenge them any more than she already has." Big Mac frowned some, staring at the counter in thought as he tried to think of something he could do. "It seems," said Twilight, drawing Macintosh's attention back to her, though she seemed like she was trying to pick her words, "it seems there was some sort of falling out between Igneous and a member of the Apple family. That's about all I learned, though."

Macintosh sighed, hanging his head. "So. How long is Igneous gonna keep Pinkie here for?"

"Your guess is as good as mine," said Twilight, shaking her head, "and to make matters worse, we've yet to learn the location of the next Element. With all the drama, I haven't been able to ask Pinkie Pie or Igneous about it." The two ponies let out a joint sigh of irritation.

"Should we go back home?"

"No," said Twilight, shaking her head, "the only way I'm leaving is with an Element or with the knowledge it's not here. I refuse to leave otherwise, even if I have to set up a camp on the Pie manor's lawn." Macintosh frowned at that; sure, she was fine with that, but he had things to get back to, so even if he had the will to do it, he certainly didn't have the freedom. He turned his attention to the bar tender.

"'Scuse me, Barkeep?" The tender looked towards him, grunting as if to acknowledge he was listening. "I need a place to stay the night. Any idea where I can find an inn?"

"Just across the street," said the tender with a nod, "tell ya what, hope ya don't mind my eavesdroppin', but y'all sound like ya've had it rough. Why don't ya tell them ol' Brewskie sent ya? They'll give you a discount."

Macintosh smiled a bit at the kindness and nodded. "Thanks, Stranger." It was odd how uplifting a simple, random act of kindness was to the spirit, and Macintosh certainly felt better for it. "So, you stayin' with Pinkie for the night?"

"Yes," said Twilight with a nod, "though it seems Fluttershy and I will be sharing a room with Pinkie Pie..." Twilight paused for a moment, then seemed oddly nervous. Before Big Mac could say anything, however, Twilight stood up and cleared her throat. "Gentlecolts, I'm afraid I have something else I must attend to." The mare turned around and, without another word, made her way out of the bar. Macintosh found himself utterly confused by her rush, or why she was so quick to leave, but decided for the moment it was best not to wonder; if it was important, she'd tell them. He turned to Braeburn, whom he quickly noticed was staring at the backside of one of the waitresses, so he gave him a healthy swat on the side of the head.

"Ow, hey...!"

"Stop gawkin'."


Pinkie Pie approached her father's study, intent on getting answers from him, or at the very least changing his mind about not letting Big Mac into the house. After all, Big Mac was one of her bestest friends! He was always there for her, as she was for him, and the Apples had always treated her like family. It seemed only right in her head that her real family like them like the family they weren't, but possibly were, though that was still an unanswered mystery best left for another time.

The study had many books - most of which revolved around geology in one form or another - as well as a few rocks that were on display. Pinkie Pie looked towards a statue that sat near her father's desk in a display of its own, something she hadn't seen before; a statue of a strange, serpentine creature, though its head resembled that of a pony, it had an eagle's talon and a lion's paw for arms, and a goat's leg and a dragon's claw for legs, as well as mismatched wings and horns. The strange creature seemed to be singing. Her father must have caught her staring, because he spoke up.

"Got that statue from some wandering traders a few years back," he said, looking towards the stone oddity, "they said it was some kinda statue of a spirit of disharmony what terrorized Equestria a millennium ago. The stone's unusual."

"Oh?" Pinkie approached the statue, looking it over. It certainly seemed odd. "Why'd ya buy it?"

The stallion sniffed. "They said that it supposedly brings good luck."

Pinkie stared at the statue for a few more seconds before turning her attention back to her father. "Papa, I wanted to talk about Big Macintosh..."

"Pinkie Pie," said Igneous, looking towards Pinkie with that ever-stoic expression, "I know your heart is in the right place, an' ya mean well, but those Apples are no good. I won't have them or their ilk in my home."

"Funny you say that," said Pinkie with a grin, "because technically the Apples might be family! We're not sure, because the records were kinda smudged, but--"

"But nothin'," said the stallion, shaking his head. "If they are kin, they're at best well-removed cousins, an' if they are, they're cousins I want nothing to do with."

"But Papa, they're my friends!" Pinkie stepped closer, giving her father the best pleading eyes she could. "Big Macintosh is one of the nicest and most dependable ponies I know, and Braeburn is fun and silly and dopey! I promise, if you take the time to get to know them, you'd love them!"

Igneous did not shift, did not change in any way. "I don't need time. I don't need to know 'em. I've gotten by for not knowin' an Apple since before you was born, and I'm pretty sure I'll die happy without hearin' of the Apple clan ever again."

"But Papa-"

"But nothing, daughter," said Igneous with a nod of finality, "that's just how it is, and you can't change my mind."

"But Papa--"

"And," he interrupted once more, "I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to ask you to stop associatin' with the Apples."

Pinkie's eyes widened in surprise. "Papa, no!"

"They'll cheat and swindle you and stab you in the back," he said with a nod, "an' I don't want to see my little filly hurt like that."

"You can't do that!" Pinkie pulled her father close, staring him in the eyes. "They're my friends! You can't tell me to not be friends with them!"

"I can, and am," said the Stallion with a nod, "an' just to be sure, I'm gonna have to ask you not to return to Ponyville."

"What!?"

"Stick here," said the old stallion, "stay with us, with your family. Lotsa nice pony folk around here, lotsa ponies to make happy. You don't need those no-good Apples or their no-good town to be happy."

"But Papa-"

"No buts," said the stallion with a shake of his head. Pinkie Pie stared at her father quietly for a few minutes, though he could see the water in her eyes begin to well up. Her lip trembled, and she turned around and ran out of the study. She said nothing, simply fled the room sobbing. Igneous sighed a bit, slowly easing himself back into his chair. It hurt him to do that to his daughter, but he knew it was for the best. He only cared about her happiness.

He pondered on that. On the ignorance. On her lack of understanding. And sighed.

He loved her, and he wanted to protect her. That was all he knew.

Crack

His ear twitched, and he looked around, confused. Turning his attention towards the strange statue in its display case, he noticed something; a small crack, just on its surface. This made him frown. "Hm. That's new. Maybe some kinda mood stone reflecting the situation?" He considered this a moment, though decided to think on it later. He'd have to consider patching that crack up. Still, it could wait for now.


Macintosh stared up at the ceiling of the small room he and Braeburn were spending the night in. He wished that there was a cot or something he could sleep in - or at least a couch - but all they had available was a single bed room. The bed itself was big enough to fit both of them, but to be so close to a snoring Braeburn was going to keep him up all night.

'Don't matter much that I ain't really sleepy to begin with,' he thought to himself grumpily. Giving up on the concept of sleep, Big Mac pushed himself from the bed, standing up and hearing a creak as his weight left the mattress. Braeburn, unsurprisingly, did not wake up. Making his way towards the dresser, he put on his shirt and favorite bandanna. 'Maybe a stroll around the town will do me good?' Seemed as good an idea as any. If he was back home, he'd just work himself tired, burn the energy productively, but it would be several hours and a train ride before he'd be back home.

He stepped from his room, out of the inn, and into the town. Big Mac had no idea what he would do, but if nothing else it was a nice night for a stroll. So, he wandered about town, taking in the sights and sounds. It was very quiet, only the sounds of chirping crickets breaking the otherwise silent environment. He simply wandered around town, taking in the sights, enjoying his surroundings for the time being. Then, he found himself before the house of the family Pie. That house from which he was barred from ever entering. It was curious, what Pinkie's father might have against his family. He had never heard mention of her family before, or anypony in it.

He sighed a little, turning around and making his way away from the house. Something he would have to address later.

"Big Macintosh?"

Big Mac turned his attention towards the voice calling to him to see none other than Fluttershy standing at the gate as one of the guards opened it for her. "O-oh, it is you! Sorry if I startled you..."

Big Mac chuckled, shaking his head. "Not at all."

"Oh? Oh! Good!" Fluttershy smiled a bit, making her way towards the stallion. "Say, have you seen Twilight or Pinkie Pie? They disappeared a few hours ago and I haven't seen them since.."

Big Mac quirked a brow. "Nope?"

"Oh..." Fluttershy seemed to wilt a bit, clearly concerned. Big Mac frowned a bit, wondering what might have drawn them away from Pinkie's house this late at night. It wasn't like them to just take off without saying anything. As if on queue, the two ponies turned to see somepony running towards them. It was hard to see her at first, but as she got closer, they could tell it was none other than Pinkie Pie herself. She panted and heaved as she galloped as fast as she could, until stumbling and falling flat on her face in front of them, gasping desperately for air as if she had been dunked under water. Big Mac and Fluttershy shared a look for a moment, before Fluttershy put a hoof on Pinkie's back. "Breathe Pinkie, just breathe, take a moment..."

Pinkie pulled herself up, panting and gasping, forcing the words out as best she could. "I-it's Papa... he's... he's acting really weird, and... and he's got Twilight... I think he's going to hurt her!"


"You thought you could just march into my town. Corrupt it's people. Spread seeds of wickedness in their hearts and minds, and turn them to darkness? You have some nerve, demon."

Twilight winced whens he felt the pain in her head pull her to consciousness, and she was surprised to find she was still wearing her hat. Small blessings, perhaps? Of course, it was situated just right. Still. As she slowly felt the world readjust itself, she tried to bring her hoof up to her head to the injury, but found herself unable to move, chained to a rock in a clearing in a wooded area. Igneous was showing the only expression Twilight had known him to express in the short day she had known him. His eyes were angry, filled with judgement and righteous fury. Steeled with the resolve of a pony who thought himself just. But beneath that was a wickedness. A cruel, careless wickedness, but on his surface, he seemed duller, as if some of the already dull color had fled him. "But I am on to you. I know your secrets. I know what you're hiding."

"What..." grunted Twilight, wincing as the pain in her skull ebbed, "... what are you talking about..."

"You know very well what I'm talking about, witch," said Igneous, steeling his gaze upon Twilight, whose pupils shrank to pinpricks at the accusation. "You're a harlot! A trickster! Deceiver of stallions and mares, hiding your true self from the world while you put bile in their souls and vomit lie upon lie at them!"

"I... I have no idea what you're talking about..."

"Oh? Don't you?" The stallion chuckled a sinister chuckle. "The statue told me. The statue told me!" He rushed Twilight, pressing his hoof against her throat, choking her. She struggled to breathe, but couldn't. She struggled to free herself, but failed. She tried to do something, anything to free herself, but anything she tried only made her head hurt more, and made her aware of a stinging sensation on her brow.

"P-please...." she rasped, tears filling her eyes, "... please... don't kill me..."

"You will die," said the stallion, his voice calm, quiet, and disturbingly kind as he said it, "... I will free you from the torment of this world, and you will spread evil no more..." She felt his hooves press against her throat harder. She felt the world swim. The world grew black. Her struggles grew weaker. Her breathing became tired.

'I'm going to die.'

Twilight's eyes stared, horrified at this stallion, who looked back at her with a cold, empty gaze. Those eyes, cruel, careless, watching her as her life faded.

And then, he was tackled.

Two stallions rolled in the dirt before breaking apart from each other, rolling a short distance away. Twilight gasped and coughed, panting and heaving in desperation for the oxygen she thought she would never get again. Fluttershy hurried to her side as Big Mac and Igneous stood up, facing each other. "You! What are you doing here!?"

Big Mac snorted, glaring daggers at Igneous. "Savin' a mare's life, I imagine. What about you?"

Igneous growled. "I am purging darkness from our land! A wickedness that brews just beneath the surface!"

"What are you talkin' about," Big Mac growled, his temper flaring.

"The creature behind you?" Igneous laughed, pointing towards Twilight, whom Fluttershy was in the middle of trying to unchain. "That foul beast?"

"Stop callin' her--"

"It's a witch!" Igneous grinned an almost malicious grin. "It's a witch, and I saw it with my own two eyes! I followed it out into this clearing. The statue, it told me, it told me she was keeping secrets! It told me you were all keeping secrets!" Igneous looked towards Pinkie, and his eyes became softer. Sad even. "... It told me... you were all trying to corrupt my pure, sweet, innocent daughter..." He frowned, looking almost ready to cry, but then his emotions reverted to rage and he turned his eyes on Big Mac. "You... you're trying to make her like you. Deviants, witches, and sick... freaks! All of you!" He prodded Big Mac's chest. "Especially you! You vile son of a bitch! Bile and poison run in your veins! Your family is one of lies! One of wickedness!"

Big Mac swatted his hoof away, gritting his teeth. "What the hell is yer problem with my family!?"

"Because," shouted Igneous, "an Apple betrayed me and stole the girl of my dreams away from me!"

Everypony fell silent. Big Mac stared at Igneous for a long while, wide-eyed and confused. But none were as shocked as Pinkie Pie.

"What?"

Igneous' rage seemed to soften, though only a bit. "I was young, strong, handsome... but he stole her from me. He knew I loved her, but he stole her from me anyway. My best friend, and he betrayed me." He spat at Big Mac's hooves, the stallion choosing not to react to the gesture. "And I hate him for it. I've hated him ever since. I curse him, I curse his name, and I curse all of his bastard children! May Big Alexander Apple and that whore Clementine rot in an early grave!"

Nopony talked for a moment. Big Mac's anger seemed to soften, to the point he almost seemed sad. He shook his head a bit, looking off to the side. "Well. It may cheer ya up to know he's dead." Igneous' fury seemed to fade all at once, suddenly replaced by confusion as the information processed in his head. "Big Alex is dead. Died some years back, killed by bandits."

Igneous stared at Big Mac for a few seconds. It seemed as if he wasn't sure what to do with this new information. Several emotions played across his face; anger, confusion, sadness, anger again, but slowly he stopped to look at the ground. He seemed as most stallions would who wished death on another, but never really meant it, upon learning that their wish came true.

"He.... he died...?"

"Eyup," said Big Mac with a nod. He fell quiet again, looking down at his hooves. "Big Alex died... trying to help a stranger. Got killed for an act of kindness." Silence continued. Pinkie Pie held a hoof up over her mouth. Fluttershy continued trying to help free Twilight from her reigns. Big Mac looked up towards the stallion, his expression almost bitter. "His wife... longtime sweetheart... Clementine Apple... died givin' birth to his daughter a few months later."

Igneous' confusion seemed to shift all at once. Sorrow. Guilt. Hurt. "Oh... oh Clementine..."

Big Mac trotted towards the stallion. He grimaced hard, and then brought his hoof up, striking him upside the head and knocking him off his hooves and into the dirt. Igneous, shook his head, staring wide-eyed at Big Mac. "My pa didn't mind bein' called names, but if you ever call my ma a whore again, I'll lay you out."

Big Mac and Igneous stared at each other for a long while. Macintosh staring daggers down at the older stallion. He snorted, turning around and making his way towards Twilight and Fluttershy. He stomped a hoof on some of the chains a few times, until he broke the links enough for Twilight to free herself. "You okay, Twiligiht?"

"Y-yeah," said Twilight, nodding a bit. "My head hurts a little..."

"You girls are stayin' with me an' Braeburn tonight. We'll figure somethin' out. You too, Pinkie."

"But Papa--"

"Forget yer Pa," said Big Mac, looking towards the stallion who hadn't stood back up since he was struck, "I think he needs a little time to himself and his statue, since it's such a good friend."

Big Macintosh helped Twilight get on her hooves, though she still seemed a bit dazed, so Fluttershy helped her balance. The group made their way away from the clearing in the woods. Pinkie paused for a moment to look back at him, and their eyes met. Her own eyes held something he had never seen her give him before in his life; disappointment. She hung her head shamefully, turning her gaze away from him and following her friends. Igneous watched them leave, laying alone in the cold dirt.

He slowly lay his head in the dirt, staring out into the darkness. And shed a single tear as color began to come back to him.

"Dead..."


"You ready, Pinkie Pie?"

Pinkie sighed and nodded, looking at her bag. It was just as stuffed as it was when she got here, but it didn't seem to have the same life. Neither did Pinkie, for that matter. "Yes... I'm ready."

"You sure you wanna go now?" Big Mac leaned down and looked at her face, clearly concerned. "I wouldn't begrudge you for stayin'..."

"Yeah," said Braeburn with a roll of his eyes, "no offense, but your pop's kind of a good example of where that leads."

"Braeburn," said Twilight angrily, "you weren't even there, so shut it." Braeburn clenched his lips together, earning a nod of approval from Twilight, who had to have Fluttershy bandage her head for her. "Pinkie... you do realize if you just run away that it may be difficult to return, right?"

"I know," said Pinkie quietly, her eyes on the floor. "I don't care. I don't think I want to come back here again." Everypony shared a look of concern and sympathy. What could any of them say? There was no denying that what had happened last night was extreme. He had planned to kill Twilight. He had said such horrible things. Pinkie would need time to recover from all of this, but how could you completely recover from learning all of that about your father? A knock at the door turned everyone's attention.

"I got it," said Braeburn, before hurrying to the door. He pulled it open, and standing on the other side was Igneous.

"I'd like to--"

The door shut back on his face and Braeburn turned to face the others. "Well, looks like he's here for round 2. Want me to kick 'em in the teeth?"

"Braeburn," grunted Big Mac, stepping past his cousin and pulling the door open. Igneous stood there, looking back at him, though none of the vitriol that was in his eyes the night before was there anymore. In fact, nothing was there anymore. He was emotionless, empty, soulless...

He was normal. Or, at least, what passed for normal for him.

Big Mac, however, would not pretend he wasn't angry. He stared daggers at the stallion, keeping himself calm, still unable to forget the night before. "What do you want?"

Igneous was quiet for a moment, before closing his eyes and sighing. "I want to apologize for last night. I wasn't acting quite myself."

Big Mac quirked a brow in disbelief. "Not quite yerself? So, all that stuff you said to me was B.S.?"

Igneous shook his head thought. "No. I was best friends with Alexander Apple. I hated him for what he did. I despised him. But I never wished him harm, nor Clementine." Igneous hung his head shamefully. "Last night... something came over me. I'm not sure what, but it came from no where. I heard... voices... and they told me that my daughter was in danger."

"Voices can be a symptom of serious psychological issues," piped Fluttershy. When everypony looked toward her, however, she eeped and withdrew behind her mane. "Sorry..."

Big Mac turned his attention back to the stallion, his frown not fading, though it did become softer. "I don't think it's me you need to be askin' forgiveness from. There's four ponies you need to apologize to, an' I'm afraid two of 'em are dead." Igneous frowned a bit and nodded solemnly. Big Mac stepped out of his way, allowing him to walk into the room. Twilight became visibly tense, and Pinkie seemed to sense this, so she stepped in front of her friend.

"Miss Twilight," said the stallion, sitting on his haunches and pulling his hat from his head and placing it against his chest, "I know it may mean precious little to you, but I am dreadfully sorry for last night. I've never hurt a mare before in my life."

"C'mon dad," groaned Pinkie Pie, "you're married..."

Igneous didn't seem to react to Pinkie's statement. "I... if there is anything I can do to make it up to you... please... I'll do it." Twilight didn't say anything at first. She looked away, and Big Mac looked past Pinkie; the look on her face... she was thinking. Something deep.

"Well," said Twilight, reaching into her bag. "I'm looking for something like this... would you happen to have one?" She produced from that bag a stone orb, and held it in front of Igneous. For a moment, his eyes almost seemed to widen as he looked at the object.

"That looks just like the old family heirloom..."

Twilight nodded. "Yeah. I know it maybe asking a lot, but if you really want my forgiveness, I'm gonna need that."

Igneous stared at it for a few seconds, but frowned and shook his head. "I'm afraid I can't give it to you because I don't have it."

"What...?" Twilight's eyes shot wide open. One of them twitched a little.

"I gave it to my daughter, Maud, when she left for school in Manehattan," said Igneous, looking towards Pinkie Pie. "I originally intended to give it to Pinkie Pie, but she insisted it stay with us." Pinkie, however, didn't respond. In fact, she still seemed to be upset, something that made even Igneous wince a bit. "If you like, I can send a letter to her and tell her you want it...?"

"No!" Twilight shouted, louder than she intended. She bit her lip when she saw everypony staring at her and giggled nervously. "Uh, no... no, w-we can pick it up ourselves..."

" But Twi," said Big Mac, raising a brow, "why not just let 'em send it to us?"

Twilight hurried across the room, grabbed Big Mac and brought him in close. "Because, we might have enemies, remember? If that thing travels by post we could lose it before we even lay eyes on it!" Big Mac let out a quiet 'oh' before Twilight turned her attention back to Igneous. "I think I should just... go there and get it myself."

"Oh." Igneous nodded a little. "Well, then I suppose I could send a message to my daughter, explain the situation, and tell her you're coming."

"That would be appreciated," said Twilight. She stared at the stallion for a minute, clearly still thinking. "And... one more thing... can you show me this statue of yours?"

Igneous frowned. "The statue...?" Twilight simply nodded, and the stallion considered it for a moment. "Sure... I suppose that seems fair..." He turned to Pinkie Pie taking a deep breath and sighing. "But first... Pinkie Pie...?" Pinkie didn't react. She simply stared at him with her sad eyes. It was almost strange to see Igneous himself sadden a bit at the sight. "Pinkie Pie... my sweet, baby girl... I'm so sorry for what you saw..."

Pinkie looked towards him, and sniffled a bit. "You said such terrible things..."

"I know," said Igneous, shaking his head, "and I didn't mean to hurt Big Macintosh's feelings."

"Not about him! You hurt me!" Pinkie threw her hooves forward. "You held a grudge over Big Mac's mom for how long? Before you even knew mama!? What, was she just the consolation prize!? Were we just a consolation family!?" Pinkie's lip quivered and her eyes welled with tears. "D-don't you love us...?"

"Pinkie, sweetie..." Igneous was quick to get to Pinkie's side, and wrap his forelegs around her. "No.... no... I love your mother and you girls with all my heart. You're my world. You're my everything. I liked Clementine, but I moved on. I met the mare of my dreams, and she gave me four beautiful baby girls..." He nuzzled Pinkie gently, holding her close. "I wouldn't trade you girls for anything." Pinkie Pie sniffled, and wrapped her own forelegs around him, pressing her face against his neck. "I love you, Pinkie Pie, and your sisters, and your mother... and never forget that."

Pinkie sniffled a snotty sniffle and nodded. "We love you too, Papa," she said in a weak voice. Despite the previous night, Big Mac couldn't help but let a small smile creep onto his face. It would take him time to forgive Igneous for what he said the other night. But, if what he saw right now was any indication, he was a good stallion.

"Now," said Twilight, stepping forward, "about that statue..."


Everypony stood outside of the small study, except for Twilight and Igneous. The serpentine statue stood there, on display, which made it simple for the mare to get around and look at it. She hummed, ooed, and ahhed every once in a while, before stepping back, and giving a nod.

"Yep," she said with certainty, "it's magical alright."

"What?" Braeburn stepped forward, staring at Twilight, "how can ya tell?"

"Because," said Twilight, pointing at the statue, "I can hear it right now. It seems to only whisper into your mind if you're close to it, and it says some very..." Twilight paused for a moment, frowning a bit and not taking her eyes from the others, "... Disheartening... things..."

"Oh..." Braeburn rubbed a foreleg over the back of his neck, looking off to the side.

"So," said Igneous, looking up at the statue, "what do I do with it?"

"Get rid of it," said Twilight, stepping away from the statue as if in a hurry, "bury it, throw it in a lake, put it in an iron box, I don't care what you do, just get rid of it and make sure it's difficult for ponies to get near it, because it's not messing around, it knows just what to say to get to you."

This seemed to unsettle Igneous a bit, who pursed his lips at the statue. "Those tradesponies said it was good luck. Kinda figured that was a lie, but didn't expect the reverse to be true."

"It's not technically bad luck," said Twilight, holding up a hoof to show she was entering lecture mode, "it's just manipulative, tries to instigate distrust, anger, and paranoia, likely to incite as much chaos as it can." She looked back to the statue, her expression shifting once more to one of concern as she seemed to take a step or two away from it. "Just remember, if you must get close to it, ignore what it says, because it will say anything to make you do what it wants."

"I see..." Igneous shook his head, turning from the statue and walking towards the exit. "I'll have to go tell the girls an' Ma to stay outta the study, quarantine this room until this thing is gone."

"Excellent," said Twilight, clopping her hooves together, "well then everypony, I suggest we get as far away from this house as physically possible, because I don't want to be anywhere near this thing anymore, alright?" Macintosh was almost surprised by the look of anxiety on Twilight's face. It was tense, fearful, worried... just what did that thing say to her. Everypony started to follow as soon as the mare made a hurried trot out, though Big Mac felt curiosity take hold as they passed. He looked towards the statue; an innocuous, simple statue of a weird mash-up of several creatures. It seemed so happy, so light-hearted. How could something like that be malevolent?

It was just a statue. Was it really that special?

He stepped into the room and approached it, looking at the serpentine creature it depicted. It seemed so harmless, comical even. What could be so terrible about this statue?

Ever wonder what it's like to be a dog?

Big Mac froze.

You know, they sit around all day, they do what their master tells them, they eat, they sleep, they poop all over the place, and they're happy. Don't you just wish--

Big Mac flipped around and hurried away from the room to catch up with the others. Only one word was needed right now to respond to this situation. One, all-saying word that said anything he would ever need to say about what had just happened, and it was a word he felt would be necessary to drive him out of this house as quick as possible.

"Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope..."

And so, the statue was left alone in the study. Sitting. Ever still. Ever cold.

But no longer silent.

Well... damn... I really hope they don't bury me... that would make my little 'time-out' a little more troublesome than it already is...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Author's Note:

Sorry, but your Element is in another castle. Go away.