• Published 5th Apr 2014
  • 36,604 Views, 1,446 Comments

I'm gonna cuddle you. And you're gonna enjoy it! - Shin Guyviroth



A young undergraduate is subject to being the target of cuddle-driven ponies. Things can only get worse (and snuggly) from there.

  • ...
67
 1,446
 36,604

Chapter 15 - Cycle of the Moon, Part 1

I crossed one arm over my lap. Then the other. Both of them had no feeling for a moment, but then they began to tingle a little. I lurched forward, my eyes still closed and seeing nothing but black. My whole body felt light, almost as if I was made of feathers and fluff. Slowly I opened my eyes, but squinted as soon as the light struck out at me. Despite the sudden glare, my eyes didn't burn as you would think. It was calming, soothing. My eyes opened fully to a sight that baffled me.

The hill I was on suddenly had flowers all around me. The morning sun shone upon them, with their bright petals and wax-layered leaves shining in the light. Even the grass somehow grew longer in the God knows how many hours I had been asleep. I looked up and saw little pink petals fall from the blossoming flowers on the branches above me, one of them landing on the end of my nose.

So many things ran through my mind: where did all this stuff come from? Was this normal? Did this tree always have pink flowers on it?

But before I could even begin to contemplate reasons or explanations in my mind's eye, the sun suddenly dipped behind a cluster of thick clouds, casting a huge shadow over the hill—and only the hill. I felt uneasy. My arms shivered.

"I've never seen such a creature as you before."

I sprung to my feet so quick that I swore I must have jumped at least ten feet from where I sat. I bolted round, looking back at where I was, cautious to whether this voice was friend or foe. "Who are you? Where are you?" I called out. "Show yourself!"

And they did. Rather, she did. A tall pony, much taller than any I have seen before, stepped from behind the tree slowly, one hoof after another. She was covered in fur of darkened indigo, with her bright aqua eyes being the greatest of contrast. Large, feathered wings sat folded on either side of her, slightly obscuring the black patches on her hind legs, but not obscuring the white crescent moon on her flank. Her attire consisted of only dull blue-silver horse shoes, a bib-like piece of black cloth she wore around her neck with another crescent moon on it, and a pitch-black crown on her head that perched upon her long horn.

And her mane. God, it was so long, flowing, and probably extremely fluffy. It even sparkled in whatever sunlight could touch upon it, like stars in the sky. And I wanted to play with it so badly.

"Please, do not feel threatened," she spoke out with the utmost of good intentions, but I still held my ground. "I do not wish harm upon you. Rather, I would like to speak with you."

A sudden flashback of me speaking with Twilight struck my mind. The horn, the wings, the politeness, the approach; it was like I was meeting her again. Her crown made me realise why. "You're another princess, right?" I asked.

"Of course," she replied. "I am Princess Luna; co-ruler of Equestria; the Princess of the Night." She furrowed her brow at me and scowled. "And why is it that you do not know of who I am? Was I really that forgettable?"

"No! I-I'm sure you're a really amazing princess—uh, Princess Luna!" I felt that if I didn't diffuse the situation fast, she was gonna throw me down the hill, then carry me back up just to throw me back down again. "I'm not from around here. Or… anywhere for that matter."

She raised her eyebrow. "You confuse me. You must be from somewhere." I explained to her my predicament, about how I was a human from another world different from Equestria. But she wasn't fazed by anything that I had told her. No, instead she turned her head away in though, yet spoke aloud, "What Twilight Sparkle said seems true…"

"What do you mean?" I asked her pressingly. "What does Twilight know? Does she know how to get me home?"

"In a manner of speaking." Her words filled me with hope, if only a little. I braced myself for the bad part of her explanation. "Twilight had used an ancient relic from the Crystal Empire—the Crystal Mirror—to traverse from this world to another world; a human-mirrored Equestria of sorts. I believe it to be your world, but…"

"But what?"

"The Crystal Mirror's magic only activates once every thirty moons."

"… And how long is a "moon"?"

"Coincidentally it's around thirty days. Or a month."

"… You ffffffff-flipping what!?" If I yelled any louder I would had turned my lungs inside out. "I have to wait thirty months!? That's… That's—!"

"Two and a half years."

"—Two and a half bloody years, yes!" I felt my face burn up so much that I couldn't help but place my hands on my cheeks to see if I could melt the skin on my palms. "I—Just—Gyahhh! Goofle-flamps!"

"Please, human, you must calm down!" I heard Luna call out. "You're starting to speak gibberish!"

Right. Yes. I need to calm down. Deeps breaths, Summers, take deep breaths…

"What is a "goofle-flamp" anyway?"

"I don't know, darn it!" I exploded, swinging my arms into the air as my voice boomed across the hilltop. I stomped forwards. "Right—you, me, Crystal Mirror, now!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't take you there."

"What do you mean, 'you can't take me there'? It's in your possession, right? Just take me to where it is!"

"I mean, I cannot physically take you there. You're in a dream. You're sleeping right now."

A dream? What was she talking about? "You're kidding me, right?" I responded with a grim without humour as I turned to her. "If I was in a dream, then why does everything seem so… real?"

"Including the sudden blossoming flowers and the shadow cast over this hill—and this hill alone?"

She had a point. And I could do nothing but submit to the fact that I could do nothing, and to the helplessness that I felt. "I just… I can't stay here for two and a half years! I can't even stand going to London for a couple days to see friends. I get too homesick, and…"

"… And what?"

I looked down before I slowly knelt down, sitting cross-legged in the grass. I saw her in my mind's eye as clear and though she was there, with her greying, curly hair and her calming smile. "… Ah, it's nothing important," I said as I looked up with a smile. "But seriously, I can't stay here for that long."

"I understand, uh…"

"Summers."

She paused for a moment, then chuckled behind a hoof held against her mouth. "Summers… Such a bright name," she admired. I gave an awkward smile in return. "I understand your plight, Summers, but there's nothing I can do to make the Mirror's magic work any faster." She walked towards me, and with every step I could feel her tower over me in every aspect one huge sum at a time. It was like I was in the presence of a deity rather than a princess. "But believe me when I say that we will do whatever we can to make you feel welcome here in Equestria."

"We?" I repeated as I stood to my feet. "You and the other princesses who rule Equestria?"

"Me and everypony in Ponyville. You will find no nicer place in all of Equestria than the folk of Ponyville, so Princess Twilight insists."

Yeah, and I have the cracked ribs, glass shards, grazed knees, and the mental trauma to prove it…

"Though I must ask, Summers: you addressed me as "another princess". Have you per chance met with Twilight Sparkle already?"

"Ahah. Yeah, something like that. I got to talk with her a little bit."

"Well that is good! You are making friends already!"

"Yeah, you could say that…"

"And did she bestow upon you her new friend cuddle?"

My heart skipped a beat. And then it died. "… How… How do you know about her cuddles?"

"My sister, Princess Celestia, receives letters from Princess Twilight almost daily regarding her progressive learning in friendship. One of the letters told of her friend Pinkie Pie teaching her of a special "new friend cuddle", though I dare say that I now of what it entails…" Her thoughtful expression soon turned to one of absolute glee, like a child waiting to open their biggest Christmas present. "So did she cuddle you?"

How was I supposed to answer that? If I said "no", then she would think I did something horrible, or she was being callous in not giving me one. But if I said "yes", then she would start asking me questions about it… and she'll probably get the bright idea to cuddle me too. That was certainly something I wouldn't be able to deal with.

I thought it best to be direct, truthful, and sincere. That always gets best results.

"… Um… No. I jumped out the window and ran like crazy before she could."

Okay, maybe that could have come out just a little bit better…

Luna glanced at me, and soon became staring when it was apparent that I had no follow up. Her eyes glazed over and her pupils dilated as she, from what I could tell, tried to physically cause me to explode with her mind. The corner of her lips twitched, then her brow furrowed.

"What do you mean you ran away!?" she shot out at me, but she didn't let me get a word in edge-ways as she screamed out at me, "You do not turn down a new friend cuddle! It is impolite, rude, and scornful!" Her mouth opened so wide as she yelled in my face that I thought she was gonna bite my head off half-way through.

I panicked. I stood back from her, but with every step I retreated she pushed forward. "P-Princess Luna," I stuttered, "you need to calm down! You're practically foaming at the mouth!" Oh, what a role switch this was.

"You would dare turn down a best friend cuddle from Princess Twilight—A royal best friend cuddle!" Her wings splayed outwards in such an impressive wingspan that it was like she blocked out the whole sun.

And she did. Dark clouds formed above and around us, turning the dark hill and sunlit backdrop into a realm of shadow. I felt the winds beat and batter at my body and swirling violet mists circled around the both of us, forming a ring. But that was nothing compared to the mischievous, almost sinister grin on her face. "If you will not accept a new friend cuddle from Twilight Sparkle… then you will receive an even greater one from the Princess of the Night!"

And somehow, despite the thought I put into that reply, I ended up with both the outcomes I didn't want.

I yelped as tendrils of faded indigo spouted from the mists around my ankles. I stumbled backwards through the wall of smoke behind me, tumbling down the side of the hill and planting my backside on even ground. I shook my head and looked up, watching as the ring parted to the sides as Luna stepped through. She looked down at me, with that same grin plastered across her lips.

"Would you like to play a game, Summers?" she spoke with an almost sing-song melody. "Let's see how long you can outrun me before I catch you. I'll even give you a ten second head start."

I couldn't tell if she was being serious or if she was joking, and ten seconds wasn't long enough for me to think about it. I clawed at the grass as I pulled myself to my feet, sprinting away from her as fast as I could. It wasn't nearly as fast as I thought I was going, though.

You ever have one of those dreams where you're running away from something, but you can't run properly or you're just running really slowly, and that no matter how hard you try they always end up catching up to you?

Yeah, That's what was happening. She could have given me a ten day head start and I wouldn't have covered any distance. I could even feel her breath on the back of my neck.

I was truly boned.