• Published 5th Apr 2014
  • 1,210 Views, 27 Comments

Do you believe in ghosts? - The Infinity Doctor



Companion to 'The Witching Hour'. I'm nothing to these ponies, I hide in the shadows to avoid detection, and I intend to keep it that way.

  • ...
0
 27
 1,210

Nightmares

"Squeaks, come on out" Midnight said, talking to the filly through her bedroom door.
"No- she's going to eat me!" came the muffled response from the room.
"She's not going to eat you..."
"Why?"
"Because she eats dreams, Squeaks, she doesn't eat ponies"

The door creaked open, one of Squeaks' slitted pupils peeking through the crack.

"Really?"
"Yes, really" she replied "she's here to observe us"
"Why?"
"She wants to know more about ponies, I guess"
"That...makes sense..." Squeaks said, opening the door a bit more.
"Sure it does, would you at least like to meet her?"
"...do I have to?"

X X X X X X X

I am back, dear reader, are you surprised?

I spied the kirin and the thestral trotting into the room out of the corner of my eye, I pretended to ignore them as the one known as 'Sapphire' greeted them. The filly approached me, and I tilted my head downward, greeting her with a small smile.

"Hello" I said, somewhat quiet.
"Hi..." she responded.
"My name is Dreamcast, what is yours?"
"I'm- I'm Squeaky Wings..."
"Greetings Squeaky Wings, a pleasure to meet you"
A small smile of her own adorned her face, and she returned the greeting before stepping back towards the kirin.

'An odd relationship the ponies of this household have...' I thought, watching Squeaky standing under Midnight.

"So...what is...this?" I asked, waving a hoof in their direction.
"What's what?" Midnight asked.
"Rela- Relative? No...rel...rel-atio-n-ship"
"Squeaks is my daughter" Midnight replied.
"Ah...but...how?"
"What?"
"How? Squeaky is a thestral, you are a kirin"

Squeaky's ears fell against her head as she buried herself under Midnight, the orange of her mane only showing from beneath the kirin.

"Did I do something wrong?"
"No...not really..." Midnight replied "maybe I should tell you later"
"Very well" I relented "so...you have answered some of my questions, why don't I answer some of yours?"
"How did you come to be?"
"I'm afraid...I don't understand"
"Were you a regular pony before this?"
"Define 'normal'"
"Regular eyes, didn't eat dreams?"
"Dreams are part of my diet, and I find the eye question hypocritical"
"Hypocritical? How?!"
"Both your eyes and Squeaky's are slitted, such as a dragon's is, whereas other pony eyes are round"
"I see your point, but what does that have to do with the question?"
"..."
"Well?"
"...to answer your question, I have no idea how I came into existence, whether through conventional or supernatural means"
"Oh...okay, how do dreams feed you?"
"You see, I believe myself to be much like a symbiote, I eat the dreams of ponies, and in return, I steer the dreams away from becoming nightmares when I can"
"Didn't you say you ate both dreams and nightmares?" Midnight asked.
"Yes, I did, dreams tend to taste sweet, such as a confection or the like, whereas nightmares, while sustaining, taste a bit bitter, like a lemon"
"Wow..." Sapphire said "so how do you control dreams?"
"I don't control them, I merely observe, and provide assistance when I can"
"Okay, how?"
"Take a scary object, Nightmare Moon, for the sake of argument"
"Alright, go on"
"Say this apparition of Nightmare Moon were attacking you in your dream, I simply prevent the apparition from getting to you, or I may just 'delete' it from the dream"
"What happens then? When the nightmare is cast out?"
"I happen to know it will be ejected to such a place specially designed for nightmares to live"
"Where do they live?"
"I know not of its name, only that it exists"
"Oh..."
"I have a question" Sapphire said.
"What is it?"
"Are you ethereal, like a ghost? Or not? 'Cause I can't tell half the time"
"I am solid, just like you" I chuckled "though my form gains elasticity when I walk the dream world"
"What's the dream-world like?" Squeaks asked, still under Midnight.
"Very foggy, and very empty" I responded.
"Are there others like you?"

"..."

"Bad question?"

"...no...it is fine...I am the only one of my kind"

"That's...pretty sad to hear..."

"Yes...yes it is..."

Author's Note:

New chapter! YES!
Wow...chapters are getting shorter, I'm sorry, I'll try to write longer ones.
Next one might take a little while, I've been trying to work on other fics.
Hope you liked it! Please check out my other stuff if you want and give your feedback.

Until next time!