• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 330 Views, 4 Comments

Le Maxia Academia (Book 1: The Secrets of the Dragon Eye) - PhoenixFlame77



"W-where are we going?" WillowShine asked. The strange stallion smiled down at her, his eyes flaming with excitement. "Why, we're going to Le Maxia Academia...the academy for alicorns."

  • ...
 4
 330

Prologue: The Diamond Household

Author's Note:

<There is a song in this chapter. Sing to it as you please! :pinkiesmile:>

Constructive criticism is appreciated!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for reading!


Prologue: The Diamond Household


Quiet.

That's the best word to describe the sleepy avenue of Unicorn Way.

If a curious pony were to trot by the quiet houses of the avenue, willing to observe and give criticism, they would say, "This is a quiet place." Unable to say anything else about it, they would trot on, easily forgetting the lifeless street; too absorbed in their pressing lives to dwell on the alarming placidness of the lane. Unicorn Way had a certain...charm about it; it seemed as if nopony lived there...it appeared completely deserted.

It wasn't.

Night and day, Unicorn Way was a peaceful society. There was no gossip, no crime; its slate was unconditionally perfect. That's why it was a superb destination for anypony who desired a harmonious neighborhood; and an undoubted community.

The residents of Unicorn Way were similar to the traits of the roadway. The ponies who lived there were quaint, quiet, and polite; enabling them to prevent conflict and grudges between them...a hard quality to find in a neighborhood.

The ponies who lived there...were pretty simple to forget.

The dwellers were excellent hosts; often hosting quiet dinner parties for one another, and inviting relatives from different cities to come and stay. The ponies of Unicorn Way were very generous.

If a loud, obnoxious pony from Las Pegasus were to come and stay with one of the proper families in Unicorn Way, they would receive dirty looks for so much as a playful insult. They simply wouldn't belong among the serene society; too obnoxiously quiet for them to cope with. They would be gratefully deemed goodbye...and probably never invited to stay again.

All of the houses on the block were exactly the same. All the roofs tilted at the same angle, all the windows were in the same place...even the porch swings swung at the same beat. To the residents of Unicorn Way, this was normal...and satisfying.

To everypony else...well, it was queer.

On the lukewarm night of June 27th, Unicorn Way was as quiet and un-lively as it's ever been. Nothing abnormal was to occur; in fact, it was a completely average evening. The residents of Unicorn Way were tucking their fillies and colts into bed, puckering them with tiny, protective kisses. The stars twinkled through the windows, gleaming on the little one's coats; ensuring the parents that their foals were safe. The parents preceded to bed, their thoughts clutching to the minds of their little ones...hoping dearly that the stars would safeguard their charges.

Almost everypony, up and down the block, was out like a light.

With the exception of...the house on the corner.

In the highest window of the house, three ponies were gathered beneath the flickering, wavering candlelight. Two, young fillies, their eyes filled with hope; and one, haughty stallion, looking down at them with approving eyes. All unicorns; and all related. The stallion appeared to have a certain authority over the girls...it seemed as if the stallion was their father. The fillies seemed pampered; they were propped on velvet pillows, embroidered with lace; draped in silk blankets, hoof-made by servants who were at their constant demand.

It appeared that this family was rich.

Something that any family would be proud of.

The stallion cleared his throat, tossing his head back. The fillies's eyes grew to the size of the glowing moon in the midnight-blue sky; maybe even larger. The stallion raised his eyebrow knowingly. He knew what they wanted. He always did; it was his duty as their father.

"You girls want a story, don't you?" He asked, placing his hoof near the candle.

The girls released the breaths that they had been holding for countless minutes, waiting for their kind father to notice their silent request. The stallion laughed as he saw their lungs recede, prepared to draw in another breath.

"Of course, papa," one of the fillies said, adjusting her position so that she was more comfortable. She drooped her eyes halfway, causing her father to smile lightly.

Clearing his throat, he flickered his eyes between his two fillies.

"What story would you like to hear?" The stallion inquired, although he already knew the answer.

The two fillies looked at each other, their eyes bursting with laughter.

"Love of a Diamond!" They exclaimed in unison. They giggled, turning back to their father, prepared to hear their favorite story.

Their father sighed happily. "Of course...okay, you two. I'll tell that to you...again. But you have to promise to go to bed straightaway afterward, understood?" He challenged sternly, putting his left hoof on his chin. The fillies nodded, their eyes shining, eager to hear the story...no matter what it took.

Closing his eyes, the stallion reached into his memories...pulling up his past for his fillies to see. They didn't know that their favorite story was true. It was better this way...he could protect his fillies from the tragedy of their mother.

"Once upon a time, there was a beautiful, radiant mare. Her generosity was stunning; her beauty dazzling; every stallion in Equestria wanted to grasp her hoof and slide a glittering, diamond ring on it. Everypony who ever met her was instantly overcome with longing."

The stallion paused, his eyes darting between his two fillies. They perched on their fluffy mattresses, arms around one another, looking restlessly at their father. "Please continue, daddy!" one of them begged, clasping her hooves together and taking them off her sister. The other filly nodded hurriedly; reminding her father of a tempted puppy. The stallion opened his mouth, a knowing look plastered on his face.

"This mare was named SilverRuby."

"SilverRuby had a silver, glittering coat, and a succulent, curly red mane. She lived in a small cottage, in Appaloosa, with her mother and father; she was obviously required to help out with chores and such. Every stallion said, ''Tis a shame, for an amazing mare such as she should be gifted a life of opportunity and riches.'

"SilverRuby had a cutiemark of a music note, with a glittering ruby serving as the end. SilverRuby could sing...oh boy, could she sing! Her voice came from the heavens; she sung like an angel. Her parents hosted concerts in the forest by their farm; attracting tourists from miles around just to hear one note of her melodies.

"One evening, when the last concert of the day was about to begin, a stallion by the name of Golden Diamond entered the farm. He didn't believe the rumors about this 'singing angel.' He was determined to see the so-called wonder for himself...and prove that the mare they all talked about was just as good as any other with a music note cutiemark.

"On that dark night, Golden Diamond perched himself in his seat, and he immediately fell in love. SilverRuby's voice surrounded his thoughts, funneling them into complete confusion and bliss. He drank every word, every note, of her songs, and he vowed to meet her in pony someday."

The stallion paused, biting his tongue. He walked over to one of his filly's bed, and hopped on top of it, causing the springs to creak. The two fillies turned over, now resting on their other side. They gazed at their father, stars glazed in their eyes. The stallion opened his mouth again.

"He tried and tried for a year. He invited her to dinner, sent her gifts...but she simply wasn't impressed by his effort! Oh, if only he could find someway to really impress her....

"Lucky for Golden Diamond, the Star Swan Soiree was coming up. He purchased two tickets, bought a flower, and spent countless nights writing a melody for his beloved. His plan was sure to impress her. It had to.

"Two days before the Soiree, he arrived at SilverRuby's doorstep, bearing a rose, a guitar, and a golden ticket. He knocked on the door, preparing to serenade the mare he’d loved for many long, harsh nights.

“The door creaked open. Golden Diamond began to sing.”

The stallion looked at his fillies expectantly. “Girls, would you like to sing along?” he inquired, touching his throaty neck with his hoof. He raised his eyebrow, flashing his daughters a shiny smile.

The two fillies giggled, wiggling their shoulders. “Of course, daddy,” they chimed, and they closed their eyes. The stallion chuckled, his shoulders bouncing in harmony. “One, two, a-one-two-three-four,” he introduced, raising his arms to cue the filly’s singing.

Hearts open, eyes closed, they began to sing their favorite song.



“Under-neath the moon-light...”

“You sing up to the stars.”

“Beneath the flickering candle-light,”

“This evening here is ours.”

“Under the old willow tree,”

“Happy as we could ever be,”

“Look up at your eyes my dear...”

“And wonderrrrr....”

“How’d I even geeeeet here?”

“Your voice sounds like an angel,”

“You remind me of shooting stars,”

“Full of wishes and your dreams,”

“You make me forget where we are.”

“I know,”

“That it seems,”

“We’re not getting closer.”

“But in, in, in my dreams...”

“You’re the only pony,”

“That makes me seeeeeeeee,”

“Life is so much more when you’re with me.”

“Tonight my dear,”

“The wind blows your mane.”

“The stars lean down to kiss you,”

“While I continue to miss you,”

“The longing is driving me insaannnneeee!”

“I know,”

“That it seems,”

“We’re not getting closer.”

“But in, in, in my dreams...”

“You’re the only pony,”

“That makes me seeeeeeeeee,”

“Life is so much more when you’re with me.”


“Life,”

“Is,”

“So much more,”

“When I hear you.”

“Life,”

“Is,”

“So much more,”

“When I’m near you.”

“Life,”

“Is,”

“So much more,”

“Life is meant to be with you.”

“You,”

“You,”

“You.”

“Youuuuuuu...”

“I have to ad-mit,”

“I was always ready to commit,”

“I fell in love,”

“With the music of your soul,”

“I just wanted you to know,”

“Life is so much more when you’re with me.”

Finishing the song in perfection, the family opened their eyes, grinning at one another sleepily. The stallion reached his hoof to the back of his head, yawning. He closed his eyes, trying to gain a second wind. He knew his daughters would ask for him to finish.

“Please finish the story, daddy,” one of the fillies begged, yawning: the stallion’s prediction came true.

“Fine, fine,” the stallion dismissed the request with a wave of his hoof, smirking jokily. The two fillies closed their eyes.

“SilverRuby was amazed. Nopony had done anything that sincere for her since she was a filly...SilverRuby was dazzled by his attempt to gain her interest.

“Golden Diamond got on his knees, with his right hoof extended to the sky. In the middle of his hoof, a single, twinkling ticket was perched, staying still against the windy night. ‘SilverRuby, the most beautiful mare in Equestria, will you go to the Star Swan Soiree with me?’ he asked.

“‘Sir, I am intrigued by your efforts to woo me. I am delighted to attend with you,’ SilverRuby responded, and she took the ticket, the rose, sealed the promise with a kiss, and closed the door, leaving Golden Diamond hypnotized by her answer.

"The Soiree was magnificent. They danced, they sang, they even shared a kiss under the moonlight. SilverRuby had never felt anything this strong before...neither had Golden Diamond. The two promised one another to always see each other. SilverRuby had found a worthy stallion at last.

"The news traveled all across Equestria, dampening the hopes of the stallions who adored the singing mare; the stallions who wanted to get to know her. Golden Diamond and SilverRuby's love continued to thrive, the bond between them growing hardy and strong. Not even the knife of betrayal could pierce through their relationship.

"Three years after they met, Golden Diamond proposed. SilverRuby obviously obliged. She had met the love of her life; an element that was extremely rare in the cruel world that they lived in. These two ponies belonged with one another.

"The wedding was humble, yet extravagant. Golden streamers hung from high pillars, the cake perched deliciously on a white, long table on the other side of the room. Beautiful cupids hung from golden chandeliers, bearing arrows that brought love with instant touch; at least, that was what they said. SilverRuby and Golden Diamond were married, the bride radiant, and the groom sophisticated.

"They gazed into each other's eyes, and they knew that they had found their happily ever after. The end."

The stallion opened his eyes, expecting his two, little fillies to clap and cheer, like they always did. He was bittersweetly disappointed to see that they were sound asleep, their minds clouded with pleasant dreams. The stallion smiled, hoisting himself of the bed.

He slid to the floor, his four, heavy hooves landing on the fuzzy carpet with a muffled thud. He yawned, clicking his tongue on the roof of his mouth, as he walked steadily over to the queen bed near the window; the bed he had just got off.

He stood over the giant bed, towering over the small, skinny filly that was wrapped in its blankets.

Her name was Silke. She was the stallion's eldest daughter; poised and focused. Perched on her head was a lofty, purple mane with white streaks. It hung delicately over her features, hugging the edges of her muzzle. Her eyelashes fluttered as it brushed her horn lightly. Her father smiled.

Silke had a dark purple coat, blending in easily with the half-darkness of the room. If she against the midnight-blue sky, she would be completely invisible to ponies with a weak vision. Her father liked that the most about Silke's appearance. She was mysterious...just like a certain mare....

Silke's cutiemark was a music note with wings. She had a blossoming talent for playing the piano and singing; an element that was useful for parties. Her father loved hearing her music; it was the second most wonderful sound he had ever heard.

Her father leaned down and planted a kiss on Silke's forehead.

He swallowed his thoughts and turned on his heel, the carpet wrapping around his hoof. He shook his backleg, scowling at the carpet as it floated to the floor. The stallion continued forward, leaving his musically talented daughter behind him.

The queen bed beside the door held his other filly. The bed's mattress swallowed her; clutching her curves comfortably. The silky blankets guarded her, seeping their softness into her skin. The stallion stood above her, a smile plastered on his face from the amicable, adorable sight.

Her name was Velvette.

She was the stallion's youngest daughter, a year apart from Silke. Velvette's head was covered by a light-and-dark blue mess, serving as her mane. It covered most of her features...only one, fragile eyelid was seen of her face. Her father disapproved of her mane; often, he tried to comb it, causing cries of protests to escape from her mouth. Her mane completely covered her tiny horn; another thing that annoyed her father.

Velvette's coat was midnight-blue, similar to her sister's. They could both blend into the sky; both travel across the night without being seen...that is, if they had wings. Their father loved that. He loved their coats. Velvette's coat was alarmingly dark; the only thing her father liked about her appearance. Otherwise...Velvette was unappealing.

Velvette had a cutiemark of a paintbrush in process of painting a singing bluebird. She has a magnificent talent for painting nature and birds; her paintings could be real. As her father stared at her work, he couldn't believe how talented she was. Her looks might not be her highlight, but when the neighbors came over, they said, "What lovely paintings! Where did you buy them?"

Her father leaned down and planted a kiss on her messy mane.

A small arm wrapped around his neck, pulling him closer to the bed.

He felt hot, tiny breath around his ear.

"Who is Golden Diamond? What does he look like?" his little daughter whispered into his ear.

The stallion chuckled and kissed her forehead again.

"That is for me to know...and you to find out."

Velvette's arm slid off her father's neck, and she squirmed under the blanket, tutting her tongue. She yawned, snuggling up into her pillows. Her father smiled. "Goodnight, Velvette," he concluded, lifting his head into the sky. Velvette wiggled her shoulders. "Goodnight, papa."

The stallion slunk away, leaving Velvette to her dreams.

He extended his hoof out to the lambent candle in the center of the huge room, the fire light glinting off his eyes. He shook his head and stomped the candle out, watching the leftover ash float into the air, twisting like ballerinas in performance. He yawned, placed his hoof one the ground, and turned his head towards the door.

His name was Rusty Diamond.

It was his job to make sure the Diamond Household was safe.

According to the light, peaceful breathing of his daughters...he had done his job well.

Comments ( 3 )

Hogwarts?! You have my attention once again. And when a writer does that, there is only one appropriate action!
Now, for my reaction to the chapter. Well written, good backstory and overall endearing... However: those were the characters described as being ill towards our main character weren't they? That'll make me lose all admiration for them.wont it?

You are correct, my friend. :trixieshiftright:

Enjoyed it :) keep it up!

Login or register to comment