• Published 6th Apr 2014
  • 7,757 Views, 504 Comments

Magic of Love: A Twidance Prompt Collab - ArguingPizza



The official source for everyone's favorite Princess of Love and Element of Magic shipping

  • ...
35
 504
 7,757

PreviousChapters Next
Alcohol by ArguingPizza

Shining Armor drained yet another wooden mug in a single long pull and slammed it on the table he shared with nopony.

“Another,” he ordered in a voice that grew more slurred as the night wore on. The barmare, a look of concern etched onto her pretty face, grimaced as she fetched him a fresh drink. When he failed to empty it immediately, she retreated to tend to the bar’s other patrons.

Shining Armor sighed as he stared into the shimmering beer in front of him. It had seemed a good idea when he began, drinking away his troubles. Even if it didn’t solve them, it would let him think about something else for a little while.

He snorted. A solution for his problems, wouldn’t that be nice? Eleven tankards later, the only solution he had was the answer to the question of what kind of drunk he was. As much as he would have hoped otherwise, he was a sad drunk.

Then again, what solution was there? He could try, and whether he succeeded or failed Twilight would be devastated. If he didn’t try, at least he was the only one hurting. That was his job, wasn’t it? His purpose in life? As a Big Brother Best Friend Forever, he was supposed to protect Twilight in any way he could. Hay that was how he got his cutie mark in the first place!

For the thousandth time, he cursed himself for his cowardice. He had a chest full of medals for bravery, enough to pin him to the ground if he wore them all at once. An Order of Valor from the evacuation of the Equestrian Embassy in Leonis, a Silver Chevron for his actions during a peacekeeping operation in Zebrica, a Bronze Hurricane with V for Valor from the Badlands Campaign. More awards than he could count for courage in battle and yet he was unable to simply confess his feelings to a single pink mare.

He shook his head and downed the rest of his drink. Maybe it was for the best. After all, if anypony deserved to be happy, it was Twilight. How many times do you have to save Equestria before you get the girl anyway? That’s how the story is supposed to go, anyway. The valiant knight rides it, slays the dragon (metaphorically speaking, since Spike was part of the family), and rescues the Princess from the tower.

For the first time since he could remember in his inebriated state, Shining Armor smiled. It was a sad, pitiful thing, but it was a smile. He supposed the knight did get the Princess in the end, even if it turned out to be yet another Princess. After all, how many times had Twilight saved Equestria? Four? Five? He had honestly lost count, something which he had never thought would be possible.

Twilight was the hero, the champion who rides in to save the day. Who better than the Princess of Love for the Princess of Harmony? He was just another soldier. Expendable, replaceable. There would be other Guard Captains, but there could never be another Twilight Sparkle.

So he would do what good soldiers do; he’d grit his teeth and endure. He’d fake every smile, spit out every platitude of congratulations. He’d help the two most precious mares in his life live their Happily Ever After, and he’d never say a word. Because he was Shining Armor, Captain of the Royal Guard, and Big Brother Best Friend Forever.

Forever.

PreviousChapters Next