• Published 6th Apr 2014
  • 7,774 Views, 504 Comments

Magic of Love: A Twidance Prompt Collab - ArguingPizza



The official source for everyone's favorite Princess of Love and Element of Magic shipping

  • ...
35
 504
 7,774

PreviousChapters Next
New Year's Special-ArguingPizza

They were so cute together, Twilight thought bitterly.

Standing together by the fireplace, still covered with Hearth’s Warming decorations, Cadence and Shining Armor leaned against each other, their faces pressed closely together as they talked quietly. Every minute or so, Cadence giggle, Shining Armor would smile, and Twilight’s heart would fracture just a little more.

Twilight forced herself to look away from the sickeningly sweet scene of marital bliss she yearned for, taking a deep swig of the glass of punch she had covertly mixed with alcohol, only for her eyes to catch on the grandfather clock in the corner of Princess Celestia’s study. It read twelve minutes to midnight, and each swing of the solid brass pendulum marked the steady march towards the New Year.

“My, Twilight, you certainly have been enjoying the refreshments tonight,” Princess Celestia said as she joined the younger mare, her own half empty glass hovering beside her. “I’m sure Luna will be please, as she insisted on preparing them herself, with the staff gone home for the evening.”

Twilight, for once only half listening to Princess Celestia, merely nodded and took another drink. The burn, somewhat soothed by the fruity taste of the punch, helped her think of things other than her brother and sister-in-law kissing by the fireplace. And she knew, she knew they were kissing, without even looking at them, because Cadence always made the same cute little squeak when kissed, almost like a surprised puppy’s yelp.

“Twilight?” Princess Celestia was speaking again. “Are you feeling well?” she asked as she placed a hoof on her withers. Twilight nearly recoiled from the touch, and looked up to see her mentor wearing a hurt expression.

“Sorry, Prin-er, Celestia. Just…feeling a little queasy. I think I ate a little too much,” Twilight assured her, trying to hide her pained wince.

Before Celestia could question her excuse, and her admittedly poor acting skills, the large glass double doors that led to the study’s balcony were pushed open from outside, revealing Princess Luna with a thick scarf wrapped around her neck and a heavy dusting of snow on her coat.

“Come, everypony! The time is nearly upon us, and the preparations are complete!” she beckoned with a wide, gleeful smile. Surprised, Twilight glanced at the clock and saw that only three minutes remained until midnight. Quickly, the Royal Sisters, Shining Armor, and Cadence had gathered on the balcony. Twilight followed closely after them, pausing only to rouse Spike, who had fallen asleep on the alicorn-sized couch against the wall. Together, they went out into the biting cold night air and joined them. To Twilight’s chagrin, the only available space remaining was between Shining Armor and Celestia. She plastered on what she hoped was a convincing smile and took her spot, with Spike climbing up to sit on her back for a better view.

“It’s almost time,” Luna said eagerly, her hooves nearly bouncing in place. The Equestrian New Year took place on the Winter Solstice, and as the longest night of the year as well as the beginning and end of the annual cycle of rebirth, it was a celebration that fell under Luna’s domain. It being her first New Year’s after having regained the full extent of her power, she had gone to great lengths to insure its success.

In the center of Canterlot, installed on the tallest tower for all to see, an enormous glass moon suddenly exploded to life as magic flowed through perfectly carved crystal, exuding a brilliance that would be visible even from Ponyville. Slowly, the moon began its descent down the pole upon which it was mounted, and all across Equestria ponies began the countdown.

”Ten. Nine. Eight.

Twilight stared straight, refusing to glance at Cadence and Shining. She wouldn’t have her first sight of the New Year be of them together, her Big Brother Best Friend Forever standing where she so dearly wished had been her place instead.

”Seven. Six. Five.”

She mouthed the words, not feeling the enthusiasm to join in the tradition. Her eyes began to water and her neck strained as she fought herself.

”Four. Three. Two.”

She broke.

”One! Happy New Year!”

Cadence and Shining were kissing, of course. She knew they would be. From Baltimare to Las Pegasus, couples all across Equestria were kissing at that moment, enjoying the last moment of the old year and the first moment of the new in the loving embrace of their partners.

In the sky, from behind the full moon a thousand stars exploded in every direction across the night sky, their radiance a hundredfold beyond even the most carefully crafted firework. They streaked across the sky, proudly announcing the striking of midnight and offering themselves as an awe-inspiring herald of the celebration. The joyous shouts and holiday noise-makers echoing across the mountain were a bitter commentary as the knife embedded in Twilight’s chest twisted, itself eager to ring in the new.

. This year. This year I’ll get over this stupid crush.”

She recited the resolution only to herself, and hardened her heart that she would see its success. A great wing fell across her back, and she instinctively leaned into the comforting warmth, it offering a merciful distraction from the agonizing sight of her love’s happy marriage.

“Happy New Year, Twilight,” Celestia said quietly, not quite taking her eyes off the sky. In the light of Luna’s amazing display, her eyes seemed to shimmer.

“Happy New Year, Princess,” Twilight replied sadly. For once, Celestia did not correct her, nor did she probe regarding her tone, for which Twilight was grateful.

Instead, Celestia asked, “What is your resolution for the coming year, Twilight?”

Guiltily, Twilight snuck a peak past the wall of white feathers at her brother and sister-in-law, who had curled their necks together and were fixated on the rolling spectacle of stars.

“Oh…the same as every year.” There was a long pause, and, eager to move the conversation away from herself, looked up at her mentor. “What about you, Princess?”


”Ten. Nine. Eight.

Celestia tried to ignore the tingle in her wings that begged her to reach out, to pull Twilight against her side.

”Seven. Six. Five.”

She tried to ignore the longing glances that Twilight struggled so mightily to conceal, tried to keep her eyes locked firmly on the ornament that was quickly nearing the base of its mount.

”Four. Three. Two.”

She broke.

”One. Happy New Year!”

Her first sight of the New Year was of Twilight’s heartbroken expression as she watched Cadence and Shining Armor share the midnight kiss. Her resolve shattered as her sister’s stars erupted from the moon to shower the world in light and hope. Her greedy, rebellious wing fanned out and drew her former student close, and as much as she would have denied it, imposed themselves between the loving couple and Twilight.

”This year. This year I will tell her, and show her there is another who cares for her.”

“Happy New Year, Twilight,” she whispered, not daring to take her gaze from the sky for fear Twilight would see the tears threatening to escape. The smaller mare leaned into the embrace and set Celestia’s heart to pounding.

“Happy New Year, Princess,” Twilight returned, sounding crushed as a kicked puppy and using her title without thought. It was an agony to her, both in tone and in meaning, as the habit showed how far Twilight’s heart truly was from her. Celestia grasped the first opportunity to offer even the pettiest distraction, and she could not be sure for whom she wished it.

““What is your resolution for the coming year, Twilight?”

Despite the wall of alicorn down separating them, Twilight craned her neck and managed a glimpse at her brother and his wife, locked together in an intimate embrace as they basked in Luna’s magnificent show.

“Oh…the same as every year.” Twilight looked up at her, the curious expression momentarily displacing the sullen grimace. “What about you, Princess?”

Celestia blinked away tears as she looked down, plastering on the mask of motherly care that she despised, and that was so renowned across her nation. She tried a chuckle, but it sounded limp and dead to her own ears.

“The same.”

Author's Note:

To all our readers, we hope your coming year will be happy and fruitful.

Happy 2015, everyone

PreviousChapters Next