• Published 1st May 2014
  • 11,205 Views, 180 Comments

Of Love and Video Games - Art de Triomphe



A video game programmer from Earth is brought to Equestria. But all is not right in the world of ponies.

  • ...
41
 180
 11,205

Chapter 10: Press Start to Begin

"Next stop, Canterlot!"

The conductor's call had the effect of waking me up. I was so tired from yesterday's sparring that I had actually slept all the way from the Crystal Empire.

"Are you awake, Jack," Rarity asked me from the seat across from me. We were riding first class and happened to be the only two passengers up there.

"I am now," I answered, blinking my eyes a few times to get used to the light.

"Are you feeling alright, darling? You were a zombie at dinner last night, then you got 10 hours of sleep, now you took a three hour nap."

"And if Luna asks me to stay up with her tonight, I'll do that too. Trust me, Rarity, I'll be fine."

The train slowed to a stop at the station platform. As soon as Rarity and I departed, I was pleased to find that Shining had kept his word. We had ended up having that discussion about the guards, and he promised me that he would inform Celestia before we got to Canterlot and would get some guards to meet us at the station.

The two Earth pony guards showed Rarity and me to a box carriage which had poles attached to either side for them to grip onto. I was impressed by the ease at which they carried it, even with all of Rarity's luggage piled on top.

By the time we reached the castle, it was the afternoon. The guards who met us at the main door informed us that Celestia was currently eating lunch and expecting us. Without further ado, Rarity and I made our way to the dining hall.

When we reached our destination, we observed two ponies eating: Celestia, of course, who smiled when she saw us, and Prince Blueblood, who wore a look of disgust. Usually, such a look would draw my ire, but I was too tired to care. So I simply took a seat to Celestia's right, Rarity taking the seat beside me.

"So," Celestia began, getting right to business, "how was the Crystal Empire?"

"It was nice," I replied, putting on a weak smile.

"Is something wrong," Celestia inquired, her smile disappearing.

"I'm just tired. That sparring yesterday took a toll."

"Sparring?"

"Yes, princess," Rarity answered, "Yesterday, Jack got in some fighting practice. Shining Armor set it up."

"And how did he fare," Celestia asked with a smirk.

"Very well, princess. He made a pegasus corporal look silly, then he held his own against Cadance and myself. An impressive showing, if you want my opinion."

"And I assume that you're still just as immune to magic?"

"Unless it comes from an alicorn, yes," I answered.

"Cadance was able to use magic against you?"

"Not during the fight. But she was able to do her emotion-sensing magic, or whatever it's called."

"I heard a rumor that the Crystal Heart was activated," Celestia mused, looking at me through the corner of her eye, "Is this true?"

"Yes, princess. I was able to set it off all on my own. We now know why Chrysalis is after me," I was sounding confident, but then a sigh escaped me, "Though I am still curious as to how she knew this about me, or humans in general."

"It has been over two years since she and her changelings appeared last," Celestia explained, "In that time I'm sure she has had a lot of time to think and plan."

Blueblood noisily swallowed whatever was in his mouth, "Auntie, forgive me, but why don't you just order a preemptive strike against the changelings? Wouldn't that take care of the whole thing?"

Celestia sunk herself into her chair, "While the thought has occurred to me to do exactly that, I must admit that it would be a difficult prospect at this juncture."

"And why is that?"

"Because," I spoke up, "we have no way of knowing where Chrysalis is. We can do nothing but wait for her to make her appearance. It sounds strange, but that's the only real course of action. Besides, her actions have done nothing against Celestia or even Equestria, her only target is me. Every move she has ordered thus far has either been to get her changelings close to me or to outright capture me. So, in short, there is nothing to do except wait for Chrysalis herself to come for me. Correct, your majesty?"

"Precisely," Celestia nodded.

"I'm going to take my leave, Auntie," Blueblood stated, rising from his chair. He took a step toward Celestia, leaned down, and gave her a peck on the cheek.

"See you at dinner, Blueblood," Celestia said in farewell.

Once the prince was out of the room, I had the urge to ask Celestia a more personal question.

"Princess," I asked, "is Blueblood really your nephew?"

"Adoptive nephew," Celestia answered, "just as Cadance is my adoptive niece."

"So he's not really a prince?"

"No, the title is merely an honorific. The only prince in Equestria is Shining Armor, and he is technically a prince regent."

"Prince by marriage," I mused.

"Indeed," Celestia smiled, "Now, Jack, there is a personal matter that I need to discuss with you. And since Rarity already knows what I'm talking about, she can stay."

This made me nervous, "OK, princess. What is it you want to talk about?"

"I'm going to cut right to the chase," Celestia said, leaning slightly closer to me, "Just to let you know, I know."

I shifted my eyes between Celestia and Rarity, "Know what, your majesty?"

"I am fully aware that you have romantic feelings for Luna."

My jaw about hit the table, followed by my head snapping around toward Rarity and giving her my best death stare.

"I told you to tell Twilight not to say anything," I exclaimed.

"Please, do not blame Rarity or Twilight," Celestia said in her calmest voice, "I already knew."

"How?"

"You may have sworn the others to secrecy, but you can't get to everypony. Contrary to popular belief, I do read the newspaper. And the one out of the Crystal Empire yesterday had a front page piece on the lighting of the Crystal Heart. I must say, it must have been a spectacular sight, I wish I had been there. Anyway, multiple ponies interviewed for the story said that you looked up at the crescent moon and said Luna's name before touching the Heart. I simply put two and two together."

"Oh boy," I slowly lowered my head until it came to rest on the table.

"Fret not, Jack," Celestia put her hand on my shoulder, "Truth be told, I am completely behind this turn of events."

I sat up so fast I cracked the back of the chair, "You are?"

"Yes. You see, ever since Luna has returned, she has been very lonesome. Even though Twilight helped her gain a sense of belonging with her first Nightmare Night, most of the time she prefers to spend her nights in her room, playing video games. If nothing else, in you she has gained a friend who understands her better than anypony, even better than myself at times. She needs that. In fact, I have half a mind to make up some excuse to keep you in the castle permanently, just so you can keep her company."

"Wow, that's something. So you're totally OK with me pursuing this?"

"Yes. I am also well aware that she has some sort of emotional attachment to you as well. The first time you were here, and you mentioned staying up with her gaming, and I made a off-hand comment, Luna was so embarrassed and flustered, and nopony gets like that unless there is something to get flustered about. So, as far as I am concerned, you two can take your relationship in whatever direction you see fit. Inside these walls, of course."

This last part made me cock my head, "Inside these walls? What do you mean by that?"

"Well, to be technical, Jack, you are the Human Ambassador to Equestria. Being in a public relationship with a princess would not make you or Luna look good politically. The changelings are a big enough problem, you don't want various nobles accusing you of making a political power play."

"You do realize I don't care about that, right? I don't want to be with Luna for power or a title or anything like that. You made me an ambassador, you can make me not one."

"That is true," Celestia nodded, "But I feel it is best if, for the time being, until the changeling situation is taken care of, you remain an official."

"That makes sense. At least that means I can get Rarity off my back about taking Luna out on a date," I turned to face Rarity, "Sorry for shouting at you earlier."

"It's quite alright, darling. I probably would have had a similar reaction in your situation. And this just means I have more time to plan out the perfect date."

I removed my glasses for a moment to rub the sweat from my brow before placing them back on my nose.

"Does Luna know about all this," I gazed at Celestia in my peripheral vision.

"No," Celestia shook her head once, "I figured it would be better if she heard it from you."

"Well," I said, tapping all of my fingertips together in front of my face, "this evening just got interesting."

*--*--*--*--*

Dinner couldn't come fast enough. Of course, it had nothing to do with me being hungry, which I was, and everything to do with seeing Luna. It had only been a few days since she surprised me, both by appearing unannounced and by giving me a kiss, but it felt like longer. I guess that's what happens when you love someone.

Dinner was usually served in the castle immediately after Luna raises the moon, as it acted as her first meal, just as breakfast was served right after Celestia raises the sun.

Celestia, Rarity, Blueblood, and I were already seated before Luna arrived. Apparently, the castle kept on hand various tables of various lengths to serve various numbers of guests. As it was just the five of us, they laid out a table with only six places. As such, Rarity sat on Celestia's right, and by sitting on Rarity's right, I was placed at Luna's left.

We didn't have to wait long for Luna to arrive. She came in in full royal regalia, from the crown down to the midnight blue heels. Her matching dress had a deep cut, and came only to her knees.

As dinner passed, we mainly held a repeat of the Crystal Empire conversation, though with the part about me saying Luna's name left out. Luna deserved to know about what happened, but that specific anecdote could wait until later.

When our meal was over, we all rose, of course. In doing this, I noticed something I hadn't paid attention to before. Luna, who was normally a solid 6'6" in high heels, was now standing about four inches shorter.

"Luna," I questioned, "did you shrink or am I getting taller?"

I mentally slapped myself for making a comment about her physique.

"Thou are not getting taller," Luna smiled, taking a step closer to me, "We can be whatever height We wish, and thought it would be easier like this."

"Easier?"

She put her arms around me in a hug, one I was more than happy to reciprocate. She was right, it was much easier to hold her when she was closer to my own height. Not that it mattered much. Luna could have been ten feet tall for all I cared. Though, as we were embracing, I could practically feel Celestia's and Rarity's eyes on me.

"I believe it is time for me to rest," Celestia announced not long after the end of the hug, "Goodnight Jack, Rarity. Goodnight, Blueblood. Goodnight, Luna."

We all said our goodnights in turn. Rarity and Blueblood quickly made their exits as well, Rarity happy to know that she was traveling in the opposite direction of the prince. This just left Luna and I in the dining hall.

"What are your plans for your evening," I asked.

"Well, thou didst promise to show us the secret level," Luna reminded, "But Tia mentioned something about you being tired, so if thou art tired, We suggest you sleep."

I shook my head, "Now that I've eaten, I'm not tired. Shall we go?"

"Give us half an hour," Luna smiled, "We have something We must do first."

"Of course. See you then."

Luna walked out of the room. I watched her the entire way. Once she was out of sight, I traveled to my own room. Since I had some time, I figured I would change out of the suit and into something more comfortable for gaming. Reaching my room, I tore through my suitcase, finding a plain white t-shirt and a pair of white athletic shorts with black trim. Of course, I changed my shoes and socks as well.

The correct amount of time killed, I began the trek to Luna's chambers. This alone took me 10 minutes, but it was worth the exercise. When I reached the double doors, I simply went up and knocked. Luna's night guard knew me by this point, and other than them and Celestia, I was the only one allowed to knock on the door.

"Enter," Luna's voice called from inside. I quickly opened the door and slipped inside.

As I turned around from shutting the door, I froze in my tracks. Luna was dressed a lot differently than I expected. Her regalia was gone, which was typical, but the rest of her attire was anything but. Usually, Luna was partial to loose-fitting tops and pants when gaming. She told me she was much more comfortable like that than in all the royal finery. However, at the present moment, loose was the exact last word I would use to describe what she was wearing.

She had on a nightie, colbalt blue to match the color in her mane. This outfit clung to every curve I could see. It perked up her bust even more than usual, and having her hands behind her on the bed, propping her up, made her chest stick out more. My eyes traveled down her front to her flat stomach and slim waist, which was perfectly outlined. Then, in a way that seemed to defy the tightness of the nightie, it curved over her slightly wider hips and stayed at that wider width until it stopped somewhere on her thigh. This last part I couldn't tell for sure, as her legs crossed, and a good thing too, since if they weren't I would bet that I would have been able to see all the way up.

I put my tongue in my cheek and softly bit down on it. It was all I could do to keep my mouth from hanging open. Luna must have enjoyed my reaction, as she smiled with half of her mouth and patted the spot on the bed on her right side. My legs didn't need a second invitation, as I quickly crossed the space between the door and the bed.

It has to be said that I wasn't expecting this at all. My plan had been to play some games, show her the level like I promised, maybe get in some innocent contact, and then eventually have a nice conversation about our feelings and all that.

Now Luna had put a wrench in my plans, as she was ahead of me by about ten steps, and I had to play catch-up.

"We are glad thou like our outfit," Luna said once I had sat down.

"Yeah," I swallowed, "I like it a lot."

I was doing everything in my power to keep my eyes on hers, as difficult as it was. She must have noticed my straining, as she reached out a hand and placed it under my chin and jaw.

"It is OK to stare, Jack," she said, "Thou already did that in the doorway, and We are 99 percent certain that that is what clothing like this was made for."

I couldn't tell whether she was trying to play the naive card, or honestly didn't know. The point was that this was a second invitation that I couldn't not take.

My head turned as my eyes began to feast on Luna's body from this angle. I tried not to stay too long on her breasts, as perfect as they are, because if I did, my head would never move. I was just fortunate that the nightie wasn't made of sheer fabric, or else I might have had a coronary. My eyes repeated their earlier movements, down her stomach, and to her legs, which she had recrossed, with her left now sitting on top, which naturally caused her body to twist closer to me.

Finally, I brought my eyes back to meet hers. We just sat there, staring at each other for awhile before I broke the comfortable silence.

"This is nice," I sighed, making a move by placing my free hand on her knee.

Luna smiled, "We heard you, dost thou know that?"

"When?"

"When thou lit the Crystal Heart."

I felt all the color drain out of my face.

"You mean," I began, my eyes shifting over all of her facial features, "you heard me?"

"Yes."

"And saw me?"

"Yes. We can see anything that our moon shines down upon. We saw you look up at our moon, and breathe our name. We also heard the entire conversation that took place afterwards."

The blood rushed back into my cheeks, setting of a heavy blush. And to think, this whole time I thought I was being secretive about it.

"Well then," I began massaging her knee, "you know how I feel. How do you feel?"

"Is it not apparent from my attire?"

I smiled, "It would still be nice to hear you say it."

"Likewise."

My smile grew, even letting forth a small chuckle before I composed myself, "I love you, Luna."

A wide smile crossed her muzzle, "We love thee as well, Jack."

"Wow," I breathed, "that sounds really nice the way you say it."

Her smile turned to a smirk, "Shut thine lips and kiss us already."

"Yes, your highness."

We leaned forward and pressed our lips against each other. Like before, I noticed that Luna's lips are very cool to the touch, creating a rather pleasant contrast.

It didn't take Luna long to press further, wrapping both of her arms around my neck. I reacted by wrapping the hand which had been on her knee onto the small of her back.

Eventually, we broke to come up for air. Luna looked at me with half-lidded eyes, licking her lips as we continued to hold each other.

"That was an excellent first kiss," she announced.

"Wait," I cocked my head, "do you mean first kiss of the relationship?"

"Nay, first kiss of our life."

My jaw about hit the mattress, "You've never been kissed before?"

"Not on the lips, nay."

"I almost don't believe that."

"Tis the truth," she stated, then her lips began to curl up into a very alluring smile, "And We want another."

I smiled again, "By all means."

This time Luna practically pounced on me, causing me to fall back onto the bed, her on top. Both her hands soon found a home on either side of my head, keeping me in place, so to speak. My hands, in contrast, couldn't decide where to go. At first, I wrapped both my arms around the small of her back, but I wanted more. So I brought my left hand up behind her head and allowed my right to move up her spine, eventually ending up massaging the muscles between her wings.

This time we held on for much longer before needing to breathe. When we released, Luna didn't rise up all the way, instead opting to nuzzle the side of my head, which I did my best to return in kind. Eventually, we were so deep in our nuzzling that my mouth came right up to her ear.

"What is thine wish, my princess," I whispered, jokingly mimicking Luna's speech pattern.

"We wish," Luna cooed as she tried to press her body further into me, "to watch bad movies and cuddle with our stallion."

I had to laugh a little. No one had called me 'stallion' since my second day in Equestria.

"Yes, princess."

Thus continued a very enjoyable evening. Luna pulled out a movie which had apparently been first made about 30 years ago. How she found out about it, and how she got it on DVD, I decided not to ask. We got comfortable in her bed, using a few pillows for support against the headboard. The pillows ended up all being for me, as Luna rested her head on my chest, a chest that was completely bare, per Luna's request.

As for the movie, it was one of those 'so bad it's good' movies, almost like a parody of itself. Now, I couldn't tell you what the story was, as every five minutes Luna would request closer cuddling or a kiss or two. At one point, she began nuzzling herself into my neck. How she missed me with her horn I don't know. But once she got there, there was nothing I could do but tilt my head back, close my eyes, and let out a happy sigh.

The first two hours of our evening past, Luna finally brought up the topic I had been waiting for.

"So, Jack," she began, "what are we going to tell Tia?"

I didn't answer right away, as I was preoccupied. At this point, Luna was reclining on top of me, facing up. By bowing my head, I was able to get a face-full of her mane, which was quite solid despite the physics-defying way in which it moved. More importantly, it smelled like the air right before a storm, which was pleasant.

"Celestia," I mused, bringing my head up straight, "Oh, she already knows."

"She does," Luna craned her neck in such a way to keep her horn away from my face, "How? Did you tell her?"

"Didn't have to," I replied, slightly tightening my two-arm embrace around Luna's waist, "She figured it out on her own. And, for the record, neither of us thought you knew."

Luna giggled, "Well We know We surprised thou with that information. What did Tia say about it?"

"She is all in favor," I replied, again bowing my head, this time to give Luna a peck on the forehead, "But we have to keep it private, at least for the time being."

"Why?"

"Some kind of political nonsense," I replied, rolling my eyes and shaking my head, "You're a princess, and I'm an ambassador. Apparently such a relationship is political suicide."

"We would have figured such things would have been a thing of the past."

"Apparently not," I sighed, but then perked up with a smile, "But it's OK. Inside the castle, all is fair. It just can't get to the public, or the nobles, I suppose. And it's not forever. Once this changeling situation is taken care of, then everybody can know."

Luna tittered again, "Everypony, dear."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I rolled my eyes again, this time in sarcasm, "I was including griffons, minotaurs, zebras, and batponies in that as well."

*--*--*--*--*

The rest of the evening passed just as enjoyably. We watched another one of Luna's 'bad' movies, and we also got some gaming in. I showed Luna the level that I had alluded to, and let me tell you, playing a video game while your magical alicorn girlfriend gives you a shoulder massage is one of the most relaxing things ever.

After Luna lowered the Moon to allow Celestia to raise the Sun, we got ready for breakfast. Luna magicked herself into something a little less revealing than that nightie. She offered to dress me slightly better as well, but I assured her that it wasn't necessary.

We strolled together down to the dining hall. When we both stopped in front of the main double doors, Luna seemed strangely nervous.

"So," she began, licking her lips, "how do we do this?"

"Like this," I answered, pulling both doors open simultaneously.

Only Celestia was currently seated at the table. I figured that Rarity was still making herself presentable, and Blueblood may have just chosen to sleep in. With the only pony present fully aware of the situation, I grabbed Luna by the hand and walked her to her usual seat. I saw a few of the staff give inquisitive looks, but I also knew that they abide by a strict 'what happens in the castle, stays in the castle' policy.

As if on cue, Rarity walked in the same doors she had exited through the evening prior. When she spotted Luna and I hand-in-hand the look on her face was priceless. It was as if her outer lady and her inner schoolgirl were fighting one another, one trying to maintain composure, the other wanting to let out a delighted squeal and give us both a hug.

I just realized what's going to happen to me when I next see Pinkie. Celestia save my ribcage.

With a deep breath and an adjustment of her blouse, lady Rarity won out. She calmly made her way to the chair next to Celestia as Luna and I sat as well.

Breakfast passed harmlessly enough, with nary a mention of what Luna and I did, or might have done, the night previous.

Once Celestia finished, she had to leave to hold court, as she always did. As soon as she was gone, Rarity lost all pretense of keeping it together.

"OK," the unicorn stated, effortlessly hopping from her chair to the one closer to Luna, "I can't take it anymore. I want to know everything."

Luna and I glanced at each other, "There really isn't much to tell," I admitted.

"Quite," Luna agreed, "we simply watched silly movies and played video games. Not much different than our usual time together."

"And," Rarity continued, rolling her hand in an implied motion.

"And...what, Rarity," I asked.

"And...I want to hear about the other parts," she explained, "You know, the professions of love, the romantic stuff, all of that. You two didn't walk in here hand-in-hand for no reason."

"Well," Luna tilted her head a bit, "the look on Jack's face when he found out We knew all along was very cute."

"Not as cute," I countered, indulging the unicorn, "as how you say 'I love you.'"

Luna and I looked at each other for a moment. I couldn't help the smile that came to my face.

"Oh my stars," Rarity exclaimed, getting up from her chair, "You two are absolutely adorable."

Having said her piece, the unicorn exited the room, muttering to herself the entire way out.

Luna and I sat in silence for a minute, neither of us knowing what to say next.

"That mare needs a stallion," Luna stated bluntly.

I let out a single snort-laugh, "You've got that right."

Luna giggled at her own remark, which made me chuckle in turn.

"So," Luna sighed, coming down from the laughter, "I believe it is time for both of us to get some rest."

"Couldn't agree more. Staying up that many hours isn't healthy for me. And neither is downing three cans of Red Minotaur."

"Jack," Luna turned fully to me, hitting me with those half-lidded eyes again, "wouldst thou consider resting with us?"

"I...I wouldn't want to disturb your sleep," I stuttered.

"Trust us," Luna smirked, "That would be the last thing thou would do."

Deciding to accept the offer, I rose from my chair and offered Luna my hand again, which she gladly accepted. We simply retraced our steps back to Luna's room. After she entered, I went to close the doors behind us. As I did so, I noticed one of the golden-armored guards, usually completely stoic, throw me a wink and a sly grin. I smiled in return and shook my head before closing the room off for the day.

Author's Note:

Ah, the profession of mutual attraction. Gotta love it.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love writing dialogue for Princess Luna...because I LOVE WRITING DIALOGUE FOR PRINCESS LUNA! (this is where a Luna emoticon would be helpful, something like <DoubleFunLuna>)