• Published 31st Mar 2012
  • 21,225 Views, 631 Comments

Stone Cold - M_D_Quill



Pulled into a strange world, meeting fantasy creatures, and stuck in stone. Isn't life grand...

  • ...
42
 631
 21,225

Chapter 17.5

I looked up and the ground was rushing toward me. I would have gasped, but I was unable to take in a breath. And it was all this horse's fault! It was really holding onto me, squeezing me so tightly that my breathing was harder than it would have been anyway.

And he made me drop my pole. I kinda liked my pole.

I think we have something more important to worry about than that scrap metal.

But...

I think we are about to become another lawn decoration. And not the pretty kind.

I don’t wanna be a lawn decoration again... and I like being pretty.

Then do something!

I start flapping my arms and screaming, and that is about when I blacked out.

x.X.x

Tall Shield groaned when one of the nurses barged into the hospital’s makeshift guardroom. He rolled over and raised his head to look at her. The earth pony fell forward, gasping for breath and sweating like a fresh recruit at basic training. Her eyes were very small, near the point of just being dots, and were fixated right on him.

“Is there something you need?” he asked, dreading the news that her actions were foretelling.

“Fight...” she managed to say, “Creature... room... breaking glass.”

Tall Shield leapt out of bed and grabbed his helmet and spear. He looked around the barracks, watching the other two guards stationed there doing the same.

“Sword Sheath!” Tall Shield called, “Go check outside. The only things glass in that room were the windows.” He shuddered a little when the thought of what must have happened to Cannon Ball. That soldier was a good pony, but he seemed to always look for a fight; and a dangerous creature of this caliber must have been too much of a temptation to pass up. He mentally chastised himself for not having them guard in pairs. That was basic training 101.

He turned to the second guardspony. “Javelin, with me.”

They all charged out of the room. Thankfully, the hospital was not overly large, so he and Javelin were able to reach the creature’s room quickly. When the broken remains of the door came into sight, Tall Shield held up his hoof to halt Javelin.

There were two large iron balls and a few marbles in the hall. The door was broken inward, confirming his fear that Cannon snapped and charged at the creature. All the machines inside the room were completely demolished and scattered everywhere. All except for a single path leading to the bed and a broken window.

Tall Shield turned to Javelin. “Get to Sheath, quickly. The creature has escaped.” The guard saluted and ran out the room. Tall Shield left the room to follow, but noticed a teal-colored pony in a white hospital gown. She was curled up in the far corner of the hall, growling at the broken door.

He hesitated for a second before approaching the pony. He stopped a few feet away and tried to look calm and nonthreatening.

“Excuse me Miss, but did you see what happened here?”

The pony just curled tighter into her ball and growled again.

Tall Shield sat down and opened his forehooves wide. “Miss, I need you to answer. Please tell me what happened here?”

Watching him, the pony’s ears curled back and she bared her teeth at him in a threatening manner.

Tall Shield snorted and stomped down. He needed answers and needed them now. He had no time to play with a crazy pony. He stood up and before he could turn around the pony before him whimpered and curled into an even tighter ball.

“I’ll talk!” she cried out. “Please don’t get the hose again...”

Tall Shield just stared at the quivering pony. How a hose got into this, he had no clue, but he needed information on what had occurred.

“Tell me what happened here?”

The teal pony turned and gazed at him before quickly breaking away back into her ball. “Shouting, then glass breaking. Then more shouting and another glass breaking. Then quiet...”

“Shouting what?”

The pony just sat there sobbing, as if she expected to be hit. The sounds of other ponies sounded from the hallway, and a green unicorn with a lab coat appeared. He glared at the teal pony before turning to the guard.

“My apologies, sir,” he said in an oily voice, “I did not realize this one has escaped. Don’t worry, her growling is just a condition of her thinking she is a dog. We are working to treat her now.”

Tall Shield blinked in confusion. “A dog? She just informed me of what the situation here. I have seen little to no signs of her believing she was a dog.”

The doctor smiled. “Good, then she is improving. Nevertheless, you obviously have a situation to attend to. Your charge has already made a mess of this place and has upset many patients here.”

He quickly picked up the teal pony and carried her off into the hospital. Tall Shield watched with his mouth hanging open until the doctor disappeared around the corner. Such disrespect for the law. But he was right, there was a situation and it was the guards’ responsibility to see it fixed.

Tall Shield ran back through the hospital and exited the building, almost running into Javelin.

“What is the situat-” Tall Shield started before the rest of the question disappeared in his mouth. They found both Cannon and the creature. They were outside surrounded by sparkling shards of glass and lying in a large fluffy pink cloud that covered a large portion of the hospitals’ grounds.

“Sir,” Javelin breathed, “I think we need Miss Sparkle back, and soon.”

x.X.x

A clock rang across the room. Vinyl cracked an eye open and growled at the offending wooden griffon figure singing from it. After seven loud chimes, the clock finally decided to quiet down and resume its regular ticking. With a groan, Vinyl sat up on the couch and grimaced as a small twang of nausea assaulted her. She rubbed her face, grumbling at having a little too much to drink the night before, when her ears perked up at the sound of soft music.

Vinyl got onto her hooves and started heading toward the melody. She moved upstairs and ended up standing outside her friend’s ‘music room’. With a smile, she quietly cracked the door open and peered inside.

A somber gray earth pony was standing with her cello in the center of the room. Her eyes were closed as the bow gracefully glided back and forth on the instrument’s strings. Around her were six tall mirrors, each facing inward. Vinyl gasped and rubbed her eyes in disbelief at what she saw reflecting off the mirrors. Each of them were her friend playing their instruments, but they were not playing the same thing the pony in the center of the circle was playing.

All of them performed their own rhythm, collecting together to create a large seven-cello piece. In one mirror, Octavia was steadily tapping on the body of the instrument, as if it was a drum. In another, they used the bow like a piano hammer, tapping the strings to make a sharp sound. And in the center, Octavia clearly played the main melody.

A few tears formed under the white unicorn’s eyes as she watched her friend pour her passion into creating something magical. It was one of the greatest powers in Equestria. One that nopony was left untouched by: Music. True and pure, music that can only be called the soul of a pony singing out into the world.

Vinyl made her way into the room, careful so the door wouldn’t make any noise as it shut. Moving into a corner, she sat down, content to just watch the pony play. The longer she sat there, the sadder the music seemed to become. The player’s shoulders began to steadily slump more and more, but her face remained passive, refusing to reveal any emotion.

Vinyl trotted toward her friend. Once she was at the edge of the circle of mirrors, she noticed a glint rolling down the player’s gray cheeks. It clicked in the unicorn’s mind that her friend was not singing out to the world, but crying out. Trying to grab hold of one ray of hope when her dreams had been shattered. Instantly, she jumped in and gave Octavia a crushing hug.

“Everything will be okay, Octi,” she whispered. “We will get through this.”

Octavia released her cello, and it fell to the ground. The other six Octavias continued playing on, but without the main melody, the song sounded mocking and hollow. What magic that was in the room disappeared and the two ponies held onto each other as the sun set. Both praying that when they meet with the princess, a miracle might occur.

x.X.x

The two mares quietly left the music room. Vinyl watched Octavia, trying to figure out what was going through her mind. Because of that incident a few weeks prior, her dream was taken from her. Those noble snobs were too uptight about their rules. So what that a pony had one or two things on their record. They should be judged by their talent, not their history.

Her friend turned and smiled at her, mouthing a silent thank you before turning and heading toward the bathroom. Vinyl grinned back. Even if she couldn’t make everything right, she can at least give her a smile in the worst times. And what better way to make somepony smile than with some food?

With a skip, the unicorn arrived at the kitchen and opened the refrigerator, only to recoil in disgust. Brussel sprouts. What was with this mare and brussel sprouts! Yes they were healthy, but they tasted absolutely terrible. What she needed was something extremely sweet and unhealthy.

She dug into the cabinets, pulling out flour, sugar, and other delicious treats. Using some of the strange and unorthodox tricks and a catchy tune a pink pony once showed her, she had some cupcakes in the oven within a few minutes.

A wide grin spread crossed her face as she imagined Octi taking a big bite out of one of these treats and watching a large smile overtake her face.

The timer went off in what felt like no-time, and Vinyl pulled the cupcakes out of the oven. With a flourish, she spun the warm tray around and threw frosting all over it. When the tray stopped, the cupcakes looked delicious. How that pink pony discovered this easy and quick way to make pastries was beyond her, but Vinyl wanted to give her a huge hug right then.

Grabbing one of the cupcakes, she quickly made her way up to the bathroom, where her friend was still cleaning herself up. It had been nearly a half-hour, and it baffled the DJ that anypony needed to take longer than ten minutes to get cleaned up. Ten minutes tops!

She took in a deep breath and burst into the bathroom, shouting surprise while presenting the cupcake to her friend!

And the earth pony was surprised. Surprised to get a fresh and still warm cupcake splattered all over her recently cleaned mane.

Vinyl gave Octavia an awkward smile and slowly started shutting the door.

“Whoops... sorry Octi.”

Even when the door shut, the DJ could swear she could feel the evil, hostile gaze piercing her as she made her way back to the kitchen.

x.X.x

The train whistled and slowed to a stop. Twilight and Rainbow Dash disembarked quickly, hoping to gather their friends as fast as possible. As the reached the end of the platform, they both froze in place as they saw the other four, and Spike, standing there waiting.

“What are you-” Twilight started but was interrupted by Applejack.

“Never you mind Sugarcube. We gotta catch that train.”

The four ponies hurried the two bewildered mares back up onto the platform and onto the train.

“What is going?” Twilight asked again.

Spike hopped onto her back and grabbed a rolled-up letter and handed it to her. “I think you need to see for yourself.”

Twilight grabbed the letter and opened it up. After reading it, she shrieked and charged out of the car in the direction of the engine.

Still confused, Rainbow Dash leaned down and peered at the opened letter.

Dear Spike,

I need you to gather the Elements of Harmony and meet Twilight and Rainbow Dash at the train station. We have just been informed that the creature, whom Twilight calls Discord, has just awakened. We need her expertise to be sure it feels welcome at the palace, and we need the Elements of Harmony prepared in case it decides to go on another rampage.

Princess Celestia

Author's Note:

Midnight: I bet you thought the very short chapter I put up yesterday was just an April Fools. Well guess what, APRIL FOOLS! It was an actual section of the story.

Paradox: Wait? You April Fooled them by pretending to do an April Fool chapter, but not really doing it? So you April Fooled them by not April Fooling them, meaning you fooled them... Never mind, I have a headache...

Midnight: Hope you enjoyed this chapter! It was pretty fun to write!

And the bit about the Teal-colored pony is reference to an amazing picture by one of my favorite artists in the brony fandom. Link to said picture