• Published 25th Oct 2015
  • 1,138 Views, 29 Comments

Intransigence - Twifight Sparkill



• Princess Luna commits to realigning a lost dreamer, unable to accept that some ponies can never truly be saved.

  • ...
2
 29
 1,138

quod in somnio non veniet

Intransigence: quod in somnio non veniet – by Twifight Sparkill

"I barely recognize who you are anymore."

Exasperation caused involuntary twitches at the eyes and eartips of the volatile lunar Princess, definitive indications of an impending emotional meltdown.

So predictable.

"Who we barely are anymore..." Luna recounted in a slow, grating monotone, brows knit in anger. She actively detested my sacrilegious slander, which always gave me cause to smile.

"Lapping placidly at the bejewelled soaking hooves of your megalomaniacal sibling, despite all of her tyrannical transgressions? Disgraceful."

The illusory landscape was as it had ever been: an unadorned stark gray field, painted featureless in every besotted direction, portraying nothing. The endless monochrome sky sucked at the distant tips of the horizon, suffocating everything beneath it in an ineffectual embrace.

"Ye shall refrain from being obtuse with us," the dark mare chastised, turning up her nose. "We are obviously still Princess Luna, and we're desperately attempting to rehabilitate you. Will ye not take our efforts seriously for once, please?"

I'd initially found the setting disturbing compared to the quixotic manners of other dreamscapes; generally, dreams were made of fanciful imagery and impossible scenarios, often creating a whirling cavalcade of colors and movement that could make a mind dizzy for struggling to keep up with the whole besotted mess. Having gotten to know this inimitable particular after so many visits, the bleak surroundings made perfect sense as a backdrop – it offered nothing of solace.

"Fine then, I'm sorry that you've elected to be substandard."

The young alicorn straightened, regained her proper imperial stance, then glowered menacingly at me.

"Together with our beloved sister Celestia, we've achieved and maintained a peaceful prosperity and ruled Equestria for thousands of years. We raise the moon and manipulate the night sky. Every pony knows of us! There is no question of our identity and status; we are as we have been since forever, without fail."

There was no hope to be had here. No wishes, nothing save the nearly tangible pain that hung within the aching solitude.

"We are thy Princess. Thou dost know well why we're here," she growled, scuffing at the lifeless ground in agitation.

After some thorough consideration, the Lunar Goddess ultimately managed a breathy sigh. She quickly shed her disappointment to regain an appropriately imposing regal decorum.

"Let us not waste our time again with hopeless pretense. We have met every night since that sparing moment resulting in thy defeat, in this place, yet ye continue to deny our ministrations. Why will ye not trust us, as this? Have we not been clear in our intentions to help thee? Surely thou must appreciate the lengths we've gone to after all these countless times we've met, yes?"

Obviously she'd forgotten how wasted her pretentious posturing was on me, even though it'd always solicited a verbose remark.

"... yes, I do." I said, nodding.

Luna blinked a few times, then grit her teeth, grappling to word an appropriate response – she knew I was being purposefully arbitrary. The alicorn narrowed her eyes, looking about her hooves as if to find an answer written there in the dust, then grudgingly relented.

"... we must beg thy pardon?"

"I must continue to deny your condescending assistance, meaning to say."

"Ah yes," she accepted, her restless wings settling in neatly feathered folds against her sides. "... as expected. We appreciate thy needless clarification, naturally. However, we're required to help thee regardless. It is our duty as Princess to mind our subjects as mandatory. Thou art no exception, and despite thine indignant refusal, remain a matter of personal concern."

"I am aware of this," I admitted, grinning wryly. "I have no choice but to accept your esteemed deific verdict for the umpteenth time, which although a blessing, comes as a tad... oppressive. You haven't changed at all, dear Luna, and you obviously never will."

That seemed to strike a nerve in the troubled dream attendant.

"How dare thee!" the alicorn growled. She narrowed her eyes, stepping well back from me, then reared up in an aggressive stance. Her wings flared outward, and she began to levitate from the derelict grounds upon which we'd stood, eyes glowing an unearthly white.

"Though but an illusory world, such disparaging accusations are vehemently treasonous!" Luna roared in an authoritative voice, shaking the nondescript support beneath my hooves, striking a suitably imposing attitude. "Speak carefully to thy Princess, lest there be lawful consequences! Dost thou not recognize whom thou dost address? Have ye forgotten thy place!?"

This was the first time in all of our grandiose encounters that she'd not withered against my provocative verbiage. I wasn't quite prepared for the lunar alicorn to suddenly stand her ground, though I managed not to show it.

Although... since meeting in our unconscious ages ago, I was only now struck by how ineffectual these objectless attempts at making amends actually were; the incessant stately protocol the young alicorn would insist upon, spouting her idealistic nonsense at me – satisfying none save the gifted crowned affairs and nopony of actual mortal merits – a dreamer that rightfully had no lawful tidings to begin with. As if the immobile commandments stated by the monarchy, preached as some self-serving omniscient diatribe, could ever righteously persuade any pony save those that blithely followed out of fear and subjugation.

It was laughable. It was redundant. It was all terribly comical, if a bit ironic really.

"I know exactly where I stand," I sneered. "I know that..."

... I'd assumed to have lived on within the heart of the moon Princess despite my defeat, for being some unconquerable monster, waiting for an opportunity to turn Luna back towards all the deepest, darkest resentments she'd ever held close.

"I..."

... admittedly only existed for Luna damning her inferior province.

Felicitous as some viable excuse to rebel against the solar authority that belittled her popular status in the first place, I became an alibi that capably exonerated Luna from any actual impeachment; created as a harrowing resistance to justify her deep-seated resentment, viewed independently as some volatile machination threatening the grand ruling scheme. I represented an empyrical rebellion, wholly bent upon the subjugation of their entire world! I delighted in being Luna's mythical foil, an indomitable gestalt bent on ruining anyone who'd ever crossed her! A blessed terrifying saviour beyond misgivings!

I dutifully portrayed the antithesis to all the regal commonality she'd endured for being delegated a subordinate via birthright, and thus remained as an arguably independent consciousness regardless! Didn't I? Invented as an irrefutable existence by definition! That had to be worth something, didn't it? I must have existed before my purpose! I AM AS MADE AWARE TO BE, AND THUS BY DEFINITION AN INDIVIDUAL BY DETERMINATION! AM I RIGHT?

... a persistent counterpoint stabbed me in the core – beyond all the savage altercations and scathing words exchanged during our hapless appointments together, I'd ignorantly assumed that my esteemed contrary presence persisted before offering the ruling autonomy a method of combating her consequences before the onset of permanent psychological damage... or as a result. In fact, I was arguably nothing but some pained memories left within the lunar alicorn's guilty subconscious to offer some tangible excuse that'd warrant her misgivings and insubordination a due forgiveness, left here as regrets would be - unresolved, and bitter to readdress.

After all the rotted time we'd spent trying to acquit our atrocities wrought upon the world, the lunar Princess arguing incessant newfound friendship beliefs against my indomitable vengeful oppose, I'd at some point become blithely unaware that I was more likely a powerless effigy that didn't essentially exist; mere restless opposition by Luna's irksome design, which she desperately held close to explain her intense self-loathing.

Her treaty was a pointless kindness offered up to some shameful memory that persisted beyond causing any more harm, remaining merely as a face and motivation that had long since fallen from power that she could scold and cry against.

"I matter," I still insisted in a quavering voice as my mind reeled. "Obviously I matter."

Was I newly manufactured as the fractured malevolence Luna required during every tedious visit, as it had to burden someone to suffer it? Or a trapped facet of her fractured personality, as the case may be? Because watching the alicorn suffer over and over again, demoralized and dejected for being forced to admit her servile subjugation, required a pathetic invented audience even if it was born from her own perspective?

... was knowing she was as much a hostage as I was, in this place, a justification of our incessant torment? Had I only remained as some obscure immortal morality to make us both suffer beyond martyrdom?

Something inside me stopped; any villainous hopes of regaining myself, attaining control... being real. It all suddenly stopped, and gratefully so for being so ludicrous.

"Just... for the sake of argument, just tell us what you want," I managed in a gentle voice, searching for any conceivable way to survive this standoff.

Princess Luna lowered to the ground, landing with a soft flourish, her head bowed low. She struck a somber pose that almost begged for me to be piteously compliant.

"We only ask that ye desist fighting us," she whispered in a barely audible voice, managed thin and almost doting. "Do not assume that we are still adversaries. We are very desperately trying to help thee, and nothing more. Let the past be, and put to rest what separates us."

The sudden attitude pulled roughly at my frayed nerves. From vaulted deification to desperate dependent, her shift made me recognize something in myself that had always bothered me – we were always both terribly vulnerable, and had been every time we'd come to this realization as infinitum. It made my heart ache. I wanted it to stop.

"... help me. Help us." I pleaded.

Perhaps in hindsight I'd mistakenly affected some sympathetic change in our farcical charade before calculating certain risks; if I was a construct of the lunar Princess' ego, was I risking deletion? I'd offered a genuine surrender nevertheless, even though it possibly represented my end as a thinking, feeling entity.

Then, upon recollection, was I ever one to start with? I found everything to the contrary of my existence hard to argue anymore, honestly.

I mean, I believed I existed, although proof suggested I persisted as a result of the Goddesses' pain. I'd retained memories of my time imprisoned and all the hatred I'd poured upon the world and ... my egotistical sister, especially. She could never accept that anyone could ever be as capable as she, the damnable sun. It was an arrogance that still made my flesh crawl.

Who needed help here, exactly? Who attempts to exist solely for the sake of serving others, under an oppressive godly bondage, except those who need to be helped the most? Is there anyone that could ever realistically fill the role – served their own desires as well as all those of others – and maintain an entirely separate and involved self?

Is that why I'm trapped here? Existing as an indelible stain upon what makes us whole?

Everyone must absently manufacture excuses within themselves to maintain the vices of their very worst id; imaginary voices, built to placate and flippantly justify our terrible choices, vindicating their basest machinations – self-destructive flaws that maintain humility opposed to gratifying accomplishments and appreciating good tidings.

Nopony. There is no pony that could realistically maintain this level of altruistic madness. This was a fractured charade best left to the most hopeless of dreamers.

To me, I suppose. For the sake of us both.

"Are we back to where we'd started, then?" I asked aloud. "Have we met the same ludicrous stalemate we've found every time we engage in this pathetic rhetoric we pretend is necessary?"

"Yes." The dark alicorn admitted and cringed, scuffing her forehoof against the monochrome soil in quiet frustration, as she'd often wont to. "Why dost thou delight in making these meetings so hard for us? We're only here to help, yet ye insist upon being contrary. Ye make us question why we're here and why we try so desperately to make thine dreams enjoyable, to make a peace between us...

... who are ye and me?"

Luna paused, wiped the wetness from her eyes, then continued.

"Ye make us hate thee. Hate... us. We don't want to help anymore! Ye remain abstinent against our attempts, and it hurts us so badly and ye do such on purpose! We would like to know why! Why do we do this? Why is this so important to us? Why do we hate everyone and everything because we can't make this last thing right!?"

"... because we have to."

I stepped into the impossible distance between us. I threw her into a rough, desperate embrace, and held Luna tight to my chest. It was wonderful, really. Together, we remained there in a firm grip, being still and quiet. For the first time since she'd returned, we together were nearly one. I wasn't lost. I didn't die, which surprised me.

Neither of us seemed afraid anymore.

"I think I understand now," I whispered in her ear, feeling the Goddess fall limp within my clutch.

"We know," Luna wept, sobbing against my shoulder. "We... we always hoped you would."

... and so I left her behind in her dream, wondering how we'd ever manage understanding the truth.

---

The daily morning ritual held between myself and my sister, Princess Celestia, was committed as ever. We met upon the highest precipice of Canterlot castle, shared banal pleasantries, and converted our solar and satellite maneuvers with near effortless proficiency.

"You seem quite calm today, beloved sister," Celestia remarked, turning back towards the castle, "though not very happy. Are you troubled by something?"

"Yes," I admitted softly, pausing to stare one last time towards the horizon before joining her. "We finally recognize our place. Our part in the world...

... we'll always be a monster because we have to be."

Celestia paused, giving me a quizzical glance.

"Is that so?" she asked, slowing enough to let me catch up.

I drew a sharp breath, exhaled it out in a long, defeated groan, and relented.

"We're doomed for eternity to play a bit part in a bad story that needs a villain, no matter our desires. Despite how much we may desperately want to be happy, to be loved... it cannot be."

The sun Goddess wore a thoughtful expression, staring absently at the floor as she listened to us.

"Tell us, would you please?" I pleaded. "Are we nothing more to this existence than gaudy posturing puppets poised to placate some nonsensical balance that nature insists upon? Good versus evil? Right and wrong? After suffering for so long with misgivings, resentment, regrets and intolerance, can't we redesign our fates? Is this ...

... is this all there is for us in this obligation?"

Celestia offered a faint smile, patting my shoulder.

"Welcome back to us, dear sister."

The End.

Author's Note:

This is me talking to my addictions, I guess. I don't hide that anymore. It's convoluted, confusing, and purposefully hard to follow, as I'm still my worst adversary. It hasn't ended well. It won't end well, unless I get help.

Comments ( 28 )

I honestly can't tell if this is interesting or not, after reading and editing the damned thing a million times. At least it's short! REJOICE! Please enjoy, my folksies!

:twilightsmile:

Maybe you cane make her and Sombra a relationship in the sequel!
:3

And today we've learned that... Celestia is an asshole. An out-of-character asshole that bears no resemblance whatsoever to what we've seen in the last two seasons and would happily spit in the face of the relationship she has with her sister in canon. Unless of course this is pre-Nightmare Moon, but if that's so, then yeah, Celestia's an asshole.

Also, I'm no expert on the majestic plural, but I don't think it's appropriate to use when talking with your coruler. Considering they both rule the same kingdom, it's a bit pretentious.

6566886

Hint: Luna doesn't speak to Celestia until the last couple of sentences. I mean, uh... er.

Oh crap, I missed a tag! Figures! Ah well, there you go. Mystery solved! No wonder everyone was reading this and going, "what the actual f*ck?". BUGGER!

6567292
Well this doesn't exactly help. Luna trying to help Nightmare Moon (essentially dreamwalking in her own dreams to fight her own personal demons) is a very fascinating concept, but the Nightmare Moon you're giving us seems to be doing this for shits and giggles, with the only real hint towards Luna's angst being that line about existing to help others and still being happy. I don't really see much in the way of her lack of appreciation or her jealousy here.

And I still take issue with Celestia at the end. Her sister tells her that she's succumbing to her own demons (in a strange, 4th wall-breaking sort of way), and Celestia reacts just like Emperor Palpatine after Luke severs one of Vader's arms.

Wait, you took down Occupational Hazard? But... Slice of Life episode be damned, that looked promising.

6567745

Having properly digested the weight of your observation and critique, I am ... well, I'm definitely aware of a sharp stinging pain in my chest. Ouch. Otherwise, I understand your points. Let's break it down - with ponies:

"Luna trying to help Nightmare Moon (essentially dreamwalking in her own dreams to fight her own personal demons) is a very fascinating concept..."

:twilightblush: - Aw, thank you! This concept isn't new; I've been whittling away at this for a while now, just fitting bits and pieces together. I'd always intended to keep this succinct and uncomfortable - I prefer my immortals to be a bit rough around the edges.

:pinkiesmile: - She wanted to finally finish something, having seven stories on the go and a clopfic that's ground to a halt. She might have posted it prematurely, but... I dunno. She always does this: posts a story confidently, after editing the piece by herself during a bottle of wine, and wonders why she ends up rewriting the whole darn thing after the fact. I know, right?

"...the Nightmare Moon you're giving us seems to be doing this for shits and giggles, with the only real hint towards Luna's angst being that line about existing to help others and still being happy. I don't really see much in the way of her lack of appreciation or her jealousy here."

:twilightsmile: - My interpretation of Nightmare Moon is very unlike Luna. Obviously there's only been a few minutes of canon proof to determine how she should be written, but the same goes for Luna. A great deal of these characters are unknown, and thus falls to the individual to interpret. I see Luna as an archaic hothead teenage princess struggling to regain her previous duties, and I see Nightmare Moon as a crude, mature despot. In this scenario, the personalities that exist within Luna - two extremes, one being the anachronistic teen and the other a dark and knowing vulgarity - come to a makeshift truce.

:pinkiehappy: - I was hoping for some naughty stuff. I really was.

"... I still take issue with Celestia at the end. Her sister tells her that she's succumbing to her own demons (in a strange, 4th wall-breaking sort of way), and Celestia reacts just like Emperor Palpatine after Luke severs one of Vader's arms."

:facehoof: - That's my bad. I view Celestia as a jaded immortal. In my headcanon, after she banished Luna and had a nation to represent for a thousand years, she's seen and recognised all the social patterns. We ALL play our part. Mind, the entirety is vague on purpose - I know what I think all of this meant, and also who I thought Luna and Nightmare Moon were in that dream event - if you see Celestia as a vindictive cow, that's good!

:trollestia: - I prefer the moniker "tea hater", thank you Twilight.

:twilightoops: - Please don't kill me.

"Sorry, but I've seen Luna's descent into darkness done far better in [url]at least two other stories[/url], one of them being a [url]beloved recent favorite of mine[/url]."

:pinkiesmile: - Wow. Posting a scathing review, then linking other stories in said review that're deemed better and more appropriate by the critic? In the three years I've been around, I can't say I've seen even the harshest critic do that. Why don't you just push her down and start kicking her in the face? That's a bit of dirty pool! C'mon dude!

:twilightsheepish: - ... it's not that bad, Pinkie. Everyone has the right to post whatever they like in this grand artistic venue. There are no rules governing endorsements in a story blog, even if they're directly opposed to your creation and suggest that readers dislike ... your work...

:pinkiehappy: - ... any minute now.

:twilightoops: - Ow. My chest really hurts.

:pinkiecrazy: - My job is done!

... anyhow. I have read this damn thing a few times, and I like it. I guess all I can do is hope others do too? I'm most happy that I momentarily conquered my crippling writer's block. THAT MAKES ME HAPPY!

Occupational Hazard was a mess from beginning to deletion. I'll come up with something better, I mean, I hope so. Now I really don't know.

... no ill-will was intended in the posting of this response. Vote Trump. Peace.

6567949
Ooh, sorry. :fluttershysad: I guess I don't know my own strength sometimes. :twilightsheepish:

The thing is, a lot of what you've presented here left me confused, and not in the good, open-to-interpretation way. My own headcanon (and perhaps canon to a great extent) has Luna feeling unappreciated by her subjects and jealous of Celestia. I'm just not sure why Nightmare Moon has such a sadistic streak toward Luna in this dream. I would've thought she was trying to convince Luna to embrace her anger and hatred toward the ponies of the waking world, effectively abandoning her drive to help them and win their approval, but then why is Luna directing all her anger at NIghtmare Moon instead? Does this even take place before her banishment, or is this after the Elements saved her? I just don't know, and I don't think either scenario would satisfy me.

Perhaps I'm injecting too much of my own interpretation of canon into this. But to me, this story seems lacking in context at best and rife with inconsistencies at worst. I don't hate the story outright, and I don't dislike the story per se, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Oh and never vote Trump. I know you're not being serious about that, Canadian and all, but the man has the maturity of an 8-year-old.

6568251

It's fine. I'll be honest - all of what you said? I'm fine with it.

What has really hurt me, and required me to ask others about, was your posting links in this blog that illustrate why my story is ... why mince words? Shit.

I hold you in too high regard to let this affect me, but it has bothered me. More than I want to discuss. I asked around a bit, and... this is unusual. So I don't feel so bad about my ill reaction.

Let's just put this behind us. Hm? I'm totally okay with that. Like, as in I NEED this to die right here and go no further.

Okay? Okay. Thank you.

:pinkiehappy:

6568309
Okay, that's fair. I probably went too far with those, and I'm starting to see how that would've done more harm than good. Sort of a knife-twist I never intended in the first place. The links are coming down.

6568352

Thank you. I knew you never meant harm intentionally, but it did in a way I never expected.

It's over now. WHEW!

6568352 Now I'm curious what they were.

I have the feeling this story is as much about Twifight Sparkill as about Nightmare Moon, Luna, or Celestia, and so you're criticizing it for being non-canonical when it may be a great story that happens not to really be about our canonical ponies.

There are several grammatically unparsable sentences that make it less clear, but my main problem is that I can't tell what Nightmare Moon wants. She seems to be the sympathetic figure in the story, though. I don't see what Phazon is talking about, calling her sadistic. It seems like she's Luna's captive, and Luna keeps interrogating her. The paragraph where Luna goes all pompous tyrant on her ruined any chance of Luna gaining my sympathy.

Also. Definitely vote Trump. Unless Voldemort is running this time.

Comment posted by Twifight Sparkill deleted Oct 27th, 2015

I quite enjoyed this. It got... pretty damn philosophical.

I didn't really know who Luna was talking to. I assumed it was Nightmare Moon, but you know what happens when one assumes, don't you? I admit, I didn't like that Celestia was so excited at Luna's grim epiphany. I, like you, have my own particular way of picturing our quasi-dieties. The rest of it, I'd say was perfectly in character.

For that 4th-wall-breaking moment at the end, I did start to question whether this whole thing was entirely serious, or something more along the lines of Once Upon a Best Pony. But considering it strictly serious, I do understand the philosophical implications. At least, my inerpretation of it all is that... Luna is soul-searching and comes to the conclusion that she simply can't be happy, because of her circumstances, and her obligations. A lot like her sister, who serves her people so that they might be happy, at the expense of her own happiness. I imagine Luna here feels similarly, but for different reasons. Although there is mention of her duty to serve the dreamers.

Celestia's part at the end (all one line of it) is not how I would've written it. I'd imagine Tia has long since accepted her own grim reality, but continues to march forward through it, chin up. But I suppose to assume (there's that word again :twilightoops:) that your version of Tia has marched on for so long until the point that she's essentially gone mad because of it, that would be - in my eyes - a fitting reason why she would react as such to her little sister who has 1000 years less life experience just now figuring out her own fucked up place in the world. Is that what you were going for?

And don't worry, the story is excellent. I think this Phazon fellow just doesn't quite grasp the severity of an eternal ruler's duties (and demons), and the effects they have on them. Not to say that I can entirely myself, but I think I have a closer idea of what it's like. Though thankfully I haven't tried to blot out the sun eternally.
Yet.

All stories need a villain...

Read the story.

Theory: Fairly strange. I did not understand who the 'I' was (I gather it's Princess Luna, but apparently, browsing the previous comments, it's Nightmare Moon) at the end, although I did understand it in the middle. If that makes sense.

I also disagree with your beliefs regarding altruism.

Wording: It sounded really strange. I had to ignore the actual verbiage at points and go with what I thought it was supposed to mean. 'A bit of bureaucratic legit' I believe meant 'a bit of bureaucratic legitimacy'. I don't understand 'bureaucratic legit' to mean anything.

I also question the 'gathering a properly grandiose omnipresence'. I feel like you could lose the 'omni', and maintain the meaning I believe is intended in the sentence, while leaving the omni seems to make it meaningless. Later, you miss (I believe) a couple of 'that's.

Celestia singing and beaming... ruefully? I do not believe the word means what you think it means.

Generally: 7/10. I don't know what the metaphysics that Luna and Celestia seem to assume are, but they do not appear to be logical.

Halloo. Thank you everyone who paid their respects or spared time to voice their particulars regarding this ... piece. I will definitely offer a more detailed response to some of your messages another day - right now I'm a bit pressed for time, but I very much appreciated your comments and critiques. I'm an amateur at this writing stuff, obviously - I'm hoping that trying at little stories about cartoon ponies will help me explore and learn the craft. I'm ALWAYS willing to learn.

Made a few changes as per some suggestions, but nothing that really requires a reread - it is what it is, warts and all. That's it, folks.

So again, thank you all very much!

:pinkiehappy:

6568397

"I have the feeling this story is as much about Twifight Sparkill as about Nightmare Moon, Luna, or Celestia..."

That's a pretty fair evaluation. Everything I write ends up being an aspect of me, or an integral emotion I feel at the time. I didn't expect this short narrative to be controversial or relevant to anyone! I've since added the "Alternate Universe" tag to this, in hopes to better prepare readers, but... is that correct? Either way, thank you Bad Horse. My writing style has changed a lot because of what you provide in your blogs. I feel far more confident going forward. You're all the bad I like, just so yannow.

6568973

Thank you, Red. Why do you ALWAYS make me so happy!? I don't need to know - you do what you do, and you're an awesome person for being endlessly supportive AND critical (at just the right times). Because of your mention regarding Celestia, I ended up changing her dialogue. As Bad Horse so sensibly indicated, I wrote this without any canonical consideration. Maybe this'll make the entirety less sour on the tongue for new readers? I dunno. Let's see!

6569202

Your criticisms and edits were very helpful, Dsarker. Back in the day - circa 2012, or close to that - writers used to get engaging and concise reviews that they could use. I'm not as active in the community these days, but when I dedicate my time to reading and am moved to say something, I try and make it MEAN something. Truthfully, I've had very good luck of late with my recently read favourites, so I haven't had to carefully word my concerns as much as you had to with my work. I really appreciate your mention of certain things that'd make this read more enjoyable, and made a few choice changes you mentioned. 7/10 for this?? THANK YOU!

6570635

"Even taking it at face value as some general critique of authority and destiny, it falls really flat."

I cannot argue this. My attention span when it comes to writing is appalling. I like to think my concepts are interesting, but they fail in execution. This isn't a comfortable medium for me, in as it requires ACTUAL EFFORT opposed to drawing or making music. I have relied upon the tutelage of knowledgeable folks that I've followed as a fan of their works, but... it is inherently difficult to try "something new" when you don't know what you're doing in the first place. I guess that's what this is.

Dramatic tension and so on? The mistaken use and maintenance of a mechanic? I definitely want to talk about it, if you like. Everyone here, from Phazon to TheRedBrony to Martian, have been wonderful friends. Anything you'd like to share? I'm open for.

You are all very important people to me, as a writer and person. Thank you for your help and comments.

6566502

That's entirely possible. WOO!

:pinkiehappy:

Some proofreading:

"Do not be abstinent with us," the dark mare eventually chastised,

I really don't think you meant "abstinent".

I had initially found the setting disturbing compared to the quixotic manners of others; most romanticised dreams made up of fanciful hopes and impossible wishes, creating a whirling cavalcade of colours and movement that could make a mind dizzy for struggling to keep up with the whole besotted mess.

Probably you mean most romanticized dreams were made up of...

Having gotten to know this particular emotional engineering after so many visits, the bleak surroundings made perfect sense to the suffering body.

In this sentence, the bleak surroundings have gotten to know this particular emotional engineering.

"We are Luna. You know very well why we are here," she muttered. "Let us not waste our time again with hopeless pretense. We have met time and again as this, in this place, yet you continue to deny our assistance," she managed, scuffing at the lifeless ground in agitation. "Why will you not trust your Princess? Have we not been clear in our intentions to help you? Surely thou hast recognised the lengths we've gone to after all these times we've met, yes?"
After some thorough consideration, the Lunar Goddess eventually managed a breathy sigh, shedding her disheartened visage to adorn a more righteously imposing regal decorum.
"... yes, I do." I'd offered, nodding slowly.

Now and then, somepony can just say something.

Luna blinked a few times, then grit her teeth whilst grappling to word an appropriate response

Suddenly the narrator is using archaic Lunaisms.

"You dare...?" Luna growled. She narrowed her eyes, stepping well back from me, then reared up in an aggressive stance. Her wings flared outward, and she began to levitate from the derelict grounds upon which we stood, eyes glowing an unearthly white. "Though this is an illusory world, such accusations are vehemently treasonous!" the alicorn roared in an authorative voice, shaking the nondescript support beneath my hooves, gathering a properly grandiose presence. "Speak carefully to thine Princess, lest there be lawful consequences! Dost thou not recognise to whom thou dost address? Have ye forgotten thine place!?"

This is a tyrannical, hypocritical declaration of legal authority made simultaneously with the threat proving the authority is not legal or just but based only on force. I don't see how it's supposed to fit with the rest of the story, unless the story is supposed to show that Luna is an ass. Anyway, it should be thy Princess and thy place, and "recognize whom thou dost address?" The -ize => ise shift didn't happen until the 19th century. (We say "recognize" in America not because we've changed the spelling, but because England has.)

For the first time since we started meeting in my unconscious some long while ago, I was only now suddenly struck by the sheer stupidity of it all; the stately protocol Luna insisted upon, spouting idealistic nonsense that ever sated the gifted crowned affairs and nopony of mortal merits in a world that rightfully had no lawful tidings, as if the immobile commandments suited a monarchy were writ as some self-serving diatribe could ever subjugate any save the woeful uninitiated that blithely followed out of fear and intimidation.

You've got numerous places like this where grammatical mistakes are partly concealed by sentences that are so long that the reader is too flustered to notice that it doesn't make sense.

My main concern is still that NMM is the viewpoint character, but we have a sudden shift out of her viewpoint at the end that seems as if we're supposed to have taken Luna's viewpoint all along; and also, that I never found out NMM's motivation.

6575008

"'For the first time since we started meeting in my unconscious some long while ago, I was only now suddenly struck by the sheer stupidity of it all; the stately protocol Luna insisted upon, spouting idealistic nonsense that ever sated the gifted crowned affairs and nopony of mortal merits in a world that rightfully had no lawful tidings, as if the immobile commandments suited a monarchy were writ as some self-serving diatribe could ever subjugate any save the woeful uninitiated that blithely followed out of fear and intimidation.' You've got numerous places like this where grammatical mistakes are partly concealed by sentences that are so long that the reader is too flustered to notice that it doesn't make sense."

I see what you're saying. I suppose my biggest issue with this attempt was my assumption that I could edit myself with no actual knowledge of the craft. I mean, how do I rate myself at making a cake when I get so involved with the ingredients that the groceries are top notch, but the end result is inedible? That sort of feels like all my attempts at storytelling - sounds great, but the end result... I mean, the ingredients were there, yet it just... ew, this cake is really dry.

You're very kind to take time and pick this apart, BH. Can I call you BH? Is that... is that disrespectful? No, er... yes, um. Bad Horse! The Sing-Along Blog insists I call you Bad Horse! I definitely used your corrections and made a futile attempt at edits. Your wisdom and teachings are always appreciated, although I often get lost from my original self for being so damnably fixated upon what the EXISTING RULES ARE.

You're pretty excellent. Just remember that. :heart:

6574888 Anytime, Twi, anytime :twilightsmile:. As for the ending bit, I like your changes. I also don't think you need the AU tag, especially since you've changed it. It fits into canon well enough. We know Luna has harbored other... entities in her own dreams, and the comics suggest that Nightmare Moon is an entity in and of itself, it is conceivably possible that Luna has somehow harbored Nightmare within herself. Come to think of it that sounds like a horrible idea! Isn't that just like asking to be posessed by an evil demon, again? Wtf Luna. Or the other option, that Nightmare is simply a part of herself, is not not canon. The show is obviously kind of vague about that whole thing. Anyway still, much more canonical now, imo.

6575784

Whew! I feel much better now.

:pinkiehappy:

dense and vague, yet unimaginably interesting

6637317

"Dense and vague, yet unimaginably interesting."

Ladies and gentleponies, meet the words I want on my tombstone.

6637371 should I live longer than you I shall make sure you get your wish

6637460

You fucking better, asshole.

:pinkiehappy:

6637468 the future is an unpredictable and wily mistress

I enjoyed this story, Twifight. And the comments leads one to think in pleasant and not so pleasant terms.

Login or register to comment