• Published 1st Apr 2014
  • 4,509 Views, 227 Comments

Lord Mayor Applejack - MyHobby



Applejack, Lord Mayor of Ponyville, is invited to the minotaur homeland of Beefland. A new sapient creature has been discovered and, frankly, they need Celestia's help. Foreign relations ensue.

  • ...
5
 227
 4,509

Cowards * Soldiers * Escapees * Apologies

(*): Three witches gathered together and summoned an all-consuming, singing abomination of goo. Rainbow Power seemed not to have much of an effect, so more pragmatic techniques were used to keep it at bay. Sandbags and hastily-constructed levies were used to direct the monster’s pathway towards Tartarus, where Twilight Sparkle awaited with a direct portal to the most spacious cell. Unfortunately, not everypony was prepared to erect the barriers, and had their homes demolished by the evil goop. This led to Rainbow Dash coining the phrase “You snooze, you Smooze.”

It never quite caught on, strangely enough.

Applejack had been prescribed ambrosia once, when a particularly rough adventure left her leg broken in three places (*). She couldn’t think of many times where she experienced physical pain quite like that. The ambrosia had worked its magic, however, and she was back to bucking apples within a week.

That week spent in bed was nerve-racking, as Applejack was not one to sit still. All week long she lay there, her only company a few books and the occasional visit from a friend. All week long she listened to the plop-plop-plop of the golden liquid with its faint smell of honey.

It wasn’t a smell she’d been able to forget.

Applejack shouldered the door open and leaped into the hall. It was utterly devoid of life. “Dagnabit!”

Care raced to follow her, with Megan balanced in a bubble of magic. “Are you gonna tell me what’s wrong now!?”

Applejack’s head shot around. “Let her go! Put her on mah back, and keep the magic off of her!”

Care jerked her head back. “Right.” She set the girl gently down on Applejack. Megan wrapped her arms around Applejack’s neck, fear in her eyes.

“I think”—Applejack swallowed—“I think Aspen just poisoned her with ambrosia.”

“Wha—” Care looked both ways down the empty hallway. “Why?”

“’Cause he’s scared.” Applejack waved her hoof. “Come on. Ah need yah to show me the way to the infirmary. We need somethin’ tah make her puke, pronto!”

“Um.” Care’s hooves skidded on the floor as she made a false start. “I— I think it’s this way.”

“Well then move it!”

They raced through corridors, down hallways, and past ancient oaken doorways in their journey to reach the sickroom. Care halted and turned back twice, each time raising Applejack’s blood pressure a few pounds per square inch. Megan moaned in Applejack’s ear as she shifted on her back. Applejack chanced a glance at her charge and was dismayed to see a faint golden glow building in her eyes. “Hang on, Sugarcube. Just hold on.”

Care slid to a halt, her foreleg outstretched. “Here! We’re here!” She opened the door with a quick spark from her horn and admitted the new patient.

“Hay, you!” Applejack shouted at two cows standing near a bed. “We need something to make this kid vomit! She’s been poisoned!”

One cow’s eyes widened. “Um. Um…”

“This ain’t a day for ‘um!’”

The other cow shook her head. “I don’t think we have anything for that.”

“Baloney, you don’t!” Applejack tilted, letting Megan slide onto the empty bed. “That’s bull! Even for a cow! You serve the gol-danged President of Beefland, and you don’t have every kind of medicine known to pony and bovine!?”

“Well…” the cow nurse to the right wagged a hoof. “Well, we don’t have ambrosia…”

“Ah ain’t asking fer ambrosia!” Applejack slammed her hat down on a nearby nightstand. “I’m asking fer puke juice!

“Grab that green coontainer.”

Applejack’s eyes widened. She walked over to a nearby bed, which she had thought was also empty. “Seabreeze?”

The breezie was wrapped in several small, soft handkerchiefs. His rumpled mane was the best-looking part of him. Big, splotchy bruises stood out among his blue face, nicely accenting his purplish eyes. He still kept his limbs clutched tight against his torso, though they were mostly obscured by his covers. “Green coontainer. Three teaspoons. Et’s grumbleroot.”

His wife Dandelion soaked the miniature cloth over his forehead with fresh, cool water. She looked up at Applejack and waved her on. “Shoosh! Shoosh!”

Applejack turned to Care, who already had the required measuring spoon in a telekinetic grip. She accepted the tool, scooped a bit of the powdered root, and dumped it in a glass of water. She motioned for Megan to open her mouth.

Megan pursed her lips. She licked her lips before nodding in acceptance.

“You two,” Applejack said to the cows, “make yerselves useful and get me a bucket.”

Megan winced as the grumbleroot was stirred up. Applejack yelped as a bit of the dust got in her eye. She rubbed it for a second. When her hoof came away, the white of her eye was bright red. “Oh, wow. If ah wasn’t sorry ’bout this before, ah sure am now.”

Megan took the cup in her hands, held her breath, and gulped down the entire mixture.

She retched for three minutes straight. She retched until long after there was anything left in her stomach to retch. Applejack and Care both held her tight until the ordeal was over. She lay back with a sigh, her face scrunched up in that flat, odd way of hers.

Applejack bit her lip when she saw that Megan’s eyes still glowed with a faint glimmer. “She’s still got ambrosia.”

Care looked over Applejack’s shoulder. “What? But… but we got here so quickly!”

“We prescribe ambrosia by the milliliter,” Seabreeze croaked. “It’s very pootent.”

“So,” Applejack said with a tremble, “so what do we do now?”

Megan pulled covers over her legs, but kept her feet free. Her cheeks flushed red as she shivered.

Applejack sat down. “Care, yah gotta wake up Celestia, Mangle, and anybody else who might be able to track that sucker down.”

“On it,” the guard said as she galloped out the door.

“Woos et that slime-booket, Aspen?” Seabreeze hissed. He blinked as his little son, Crisperfall, dripped a little dab of ambrosia into his mouth. “Stole my medicine.”

“Ah think so, yeah.”

(1): Untranslatable breezie curse. The best analogue would be to say that it calls both the subject’s lineage and ability to reproduce into question.

Schmerdeflerven!(1)” Seabreeze swore. “Soo that’s whoot the creep wunted.”

Seabreeze rolled his head to look at his wife. He flicked his eyes at their son. She nodded, gathered Crisperfall up, and fluttered away.

“He came to me in the hallway,” Seabreeze said. “He said he needed to borrow the ambrosia. I told him et woosn’t mine to geev, and asked him whoot he wunted it foor. He wouldn’t say. We started shouting at each oother.” He chewed his lower lip and peered over at Megan. “I doon’t remember after that.”

Applejack nodded. “Ah guess it’s outta mah hooves now.” She rested her forelegs on Megan’s bed as the girl’s eyes drooped. “Ain’t there anything else ah can do?”

“Et’s already entered her bloodstream.” Seabreeze rested his head on a marshmallow-sized pillow. “She’ll fight it, oor she wun’t.”

Applejack nuzzled Megan’s shoulder. The girl was out cold.

“You two,” Applejack said with an icy glare at the nurses, “what’s yer problem?”

The cows bumped up against each other for comfort. One of them cleared her throat. “We, ah, didn’t know if the grumbleroot would be even more toxic to the Sapi—”

“Stop! Lying! To me!” Applejack rose up on her hind legs to meet the cows eye-to-eye. “Ah’m sick o’ bein’ lied to! You wanted her dead, didn’t yah!?”

The cow that hadn’t spoken choked on tears. “She’s dangerous!”

Applejack pressed her hooves against the cow’s shoulders and pressed her against the counter. “She’s a little kid, you dummy!”

The first nurse pushed Applejack away. “Aspen explained it very clearly! She’s going to wreck our way of—”

“Look at her, you cud-chewing sack of milk!” Applejack roared. She gripped the cow’s face with her forelegs. “Look!”

Megan shifted beneath the blankets. She mumbled something as her cheeks took on a gilded glow from within.

“But—” The other nurse shook herself. “But the griffons, and the minotaurs… and war!” She clutched her head. “Aspen made complete sense when he talked about it. I don’t…”

Applejack felt an icy claw grip her heart. “How many others did he talk to?”

“I don’t know,” the nurse said. “He just came to us and said not to treat the Sapience.”

The other sat down. “He was so convincing…”

“Oh mah gosh.” Applejack stumbled back. “The guards…”

She swiped her hat off the nightstand and pressed it over her messy mane. “You two, ah’m leavin’. If y’all do anything, ah mean anything, to Megan, ah’m gonna hear ’bout it.”

She bared her teeth. “If’n that happens, jus’ try an’ run.”

The cows looked at each other, their hearts in their throats, as Applejack galloped away.


Applejack charged down the hallways, searching for a guard station. She found a few guards protecting a doorway and waved them over. “Hay, you! Yeah, you!”

One guard flexed his arm, causing the tattoo that designated him a lieutenant to dance. “What’s your beef?”

“You guys seen Crumplezone?” she asked. She kept her legs bent, coiled in preparation for a quick getaway. “Ah needed to speak to him.”

“He should be outside the Sapience’s door, shouldn’t he?” the other said. His tattoos designated him as a slightly lower rank. “He volunteered for it, anyhow.”

“Ain’t there.” Applejack watched the guards’ eyes closely. “Where else could he be?”

The lieutenant shrugged. “In the guard quarters? Maybe?”

The second squinted at her. “Why do you wanna know?”

Applejack scowled at the second minotaur. “’Cause ah need to talk tah him ’bout a real jacka—”

The minotaur bent down and lunged for her, fingers outstretched to grasp her mane. She jumped back, spun on her front hooves, and sent Bucky McGillicuddy and Kicks McGee plowing into his snout. He slumped to the side and bumped his chin on the floorboards.

“Whoa!” The lieutenant held out his hands. “Whoa. Let’s calm down. I don’t know why he just jumped at you, but I’m sure we can work it out if we just stay cool.”

“So Aspen got tah yah, too, huh?” Applejack snarled in the fallen guard’s face. “Where’s Crumplezone keepin’ him?”

The guard who had not gotten schooled tilted his head. “Wait, the advisor? Isn’t he under lock and key?”

“He already got away,” the other said through what was sure to be a broken snout. He wiped at his nosebleed. “Crumplezone had a ship waiting.” He glared up at Applejack. “The Sapience is already dead, anyhow.”

“Her name”—Applejack pressed her hoof down on the guard’s nose—“is Megan.”

“Whoa, wait, dead?” The lieutenant wiggled his fingers. “Like, ‘dead’ dead?”

“Not if ah can help it!” Applejack ran down the corridor towards the entrance. “You get him tied up an’ see if any of the other guards are with him!”

The lieutenant looked down at his partner. “Wow. That pony kicked your butt.”

“Shaddup.”


“Of course it weren’t just Aspen,” Applejack mumbled as she ran through the city streets. “Of course it weren’t that easy.”

The sky was black, devoid of stars. Applejack stumbled over unseen potholes and loose cobblestones as she raced for the harbor. “Of course it has tah be a whole conspiratorial hootenanny!”

One ship was lit with lanterns. It was a smaller vessel than most of the boats gathered for the meeting with the Sapience. Applejack could just make out its silhouette against Celestia’s Buttercup’s Folly. It was snug in the harbor, but a few cows could be seen tossing ropes and clambering up the mast.

Along with a single, towering minotaur.

Applejack clomped her way across the docks and ducked down beside the gangplank. She peered around, getting a good look at the white stripes tattooed to the minotaur’s shoulders. “Captain Crumplezone.”

She grasped a nearby rope and wrapped it around her shoulders. She stepped noisily onto the gangplank and waved at the captain. “Aye, aye, Captain! Permission to come aboard?”

Crumplezone turned to her. “Huh? Who’re you?”

His eyes widened when Applejack stepped into the light of the lantern.

“Ah was lookin’ fer Aspen,” she said. “Ah figured you’d seen him.”

Crumplezone pressed his palms together. “Why would you figure that?”

Cow sailors scurried away from the vicious staring match. One particularly buff cow gasped and hid her head in a rope bundle.

“’Cause you were the last person that saw him.” Applejack walked up to Crumplezone. She stopped when her face was mere inches from the minotaur’s knee. “Since he didn’t have any guards, ah figured that you’d be escortin’ him back to his room.” She looked around at the deck. “Not his cabin.”

When Crumplezone said nothing, Applejack sighed. “Why’d you do it? Why’d you help him try an’ murder Megan?”

“Because he understands,” Aspen said.

He stood in the door to the main cabin, framed with the light from several lanterns. His purple tunic was ruffled, as if he’d been carried, or as if he’d slept in it. “He understands that this is exactly what Andean Ursagryph wants.”

Applejack backed away from the captain and sneered. “This ain’t about Andean. It’s about Megan.”

“It’s all linked, Applejack.” Aspen blinked tired eyes. “Andean wants war. He’s going to find any excuse he can get to have it. The Sapience is that excuse!”

“Her name’s Megan!” Applejack snapped. “And she’s a person! And you tried to murder her!”

“Whoa, wait,” one of the sailors said. She turned to Crumplezone. “He what? You didn’t say anything about harboring murderers!”

Crumplezone lifted the cow with one hand. “Whatever you say, boss,” she gulped.

“Andean is looking for anything to destabilize the world, to destroy the status quo!” Aspen stomped a hoof. “What’s more destabilizing than a new Sapience?”

“Ah don’t know,” Applejack said. “But ah don’t see how it all adds up to war.” She lifted the rope and fiddled with the end, crafting a makeshift lasso.

“Look at our people,” Aspen said. “Did you see how they fought? Did you see how they hate each other? Those arguments were sparked by the presence of one new Sapience.” He shook his head. “We couldn’t handle one, how could we stand against an entire nation?”

He lifted his hoof. “At that point, the balance”—he let it drop—“tips.”

“So that prompted you to kill her? Is that supposed to make it okay?” Applejack clamped her jaw tight. “Andean wants war with Equestria, not you.”

“And who do you think,” Aspen said, “his armies will roll over to get to you!?”

He sucked in a breath. “Lightninggale is a small country. With little-to-no armed forces and small supplies of resources. We are nothing but a blob on the map. A potato-shaped blob.”

Applejack glared up at Crumplezone. He shrugged. “When Equestria is gone, Beefland’s next.”

Applejack shook her head. She backed away from the two of them, her hat resting on the back of her head. “That don’t make it right. It ain’t.”

“The needs of the many,” Aspen said with a shrug, “outweigh the needs of the few.”

“You tried to murder a child!” Applejack said. “You’re sick! The both o’ you!”

She lowered her head. “An’ now, ah’m takin you in.”

Crumplezone jumped at her, his fist swinging through the air. She stepped to the side and let his hand slip through her rope. She gripped the other end in her mouth and raced around him. She made several laps before he could regain his balance. With a quick tug at the rope, his legs were tangled. He fell to the deck with a mighty thoom.

She turned to Aspen but stopped short. He had come to her, a spear gripped in his shaky forelegs. He aimed at her chest, though he had to keep correcting it. “You can t-take me in, but it won’t ch-change anything.”

Applejack stood still, her mouth tight and her eyes dark. “You could try an’ kill Megan, but that won’t change aught, either.”

“She’s already d-dead.” The spear jiggled. “Ambrosia works fast.”

“She ain’t gonna give up,” Applejack said. “An’ neither am ah.”

Aspen licked his lips and jerked the spear towards the shore. “Off my boat. Off.”

“If the path tah power is walked on stupid people,” Applejack said, “how dumb do you think ah am?”

Aspen squinted in the light of the lanterns, which seemed to get brighter with each second. As he watched Applejack’s face, his eyes widened. “Flying feather...”

Applejack looked over his shoulder as the sun rose over the horizon. “Stallin’ much?”

The ship lurched to the side, sending rolling waves into the harbor. Shardscale sat on the bow, her claws digging deep into the woodwork. Aspen spun, coming face-to-face with the large, green-scaled dragon. He twisted to point the spear at her, his face contorting with terror.

A moment later, it contorted with pain.

An ice arrow zinged across the harbor and struck him in his rear-right thigh. He screeched and fell to the deck as the ice spread across his entire leg. He swatted at it, scratched at it, bit at it, but it froze solid as a rock.

Applejack walked over to the ship’s railing and leaned on it. On shore, she could see King Andean lowering his bow with a satisfied smirk. “Always a little to the left. Still, not bad,” he said.

(2): An unexplored region seen by few save for the Princesses of Equestria. They were perhaps the only ones who knew where the sun and moon went when not overhead. Many explorers wished to travel there, but had little in the way of knowledge on how much luggage they would need. So the mystery remained, as the princesses were a bit tight-lipped about it.

There was also that little legend that anypony who returned from there went mad. Call them cowards, but these scientific explorers valued their minds.(2a)

(2a): Baseless accusations. The princesses were perfectly sane. Please ignore that Nightmare Moon incident.

Celestia stood beside him, her horn flaring bright as she lifted the sun. She lowered her head and returned it slowly to where it was supposed to rest: The Far Side of the World.(2) She looked at Andean with a frown, but neglected to say anything.

Mangle marched his way onboard the ship. He looked down at the captain of his guard with a scowl. “Aw, Crump. This ain’t you.”

The restrained minotaur refused to meet his president’s eyes. “Tried to protect Beefland. Like always.”

Applejack rested her hoof as high on Mangle’s shoulder as she could. “You okay?”

“He's my cousin, the one that got his legs tied together.” He shook his head as Crumplezone was carted away by guards. “I always figured he was made of sterner stuff than that.”

He snorted as he followed them down. “Maybe he’ll be able to tell us how deep this thing goes.”

Applejack stood beside the fallen Aspen, waiting for the next group to come aboard and remove him. She locked her gaze with Celestia’s for a brief moment. The princess gave her a brief smile, then turned to Izod, who was busy making himself a nuisance asking what was going on.

“I was wrong about you,” Aspen wheezed.

Applejack frowned at him. “Not surprisin’. ’Bout what?”

Aspen looked at her hat. He shifted his frozen leg, which was beginning to turn black beneath the ice. “You care about appearances. You care a—” He winced as tears poured out of his eyes. “You care a lot about appearances.”

She shifted her legs to a more relaxed stance. “How so?”

“You—” He ground his teeth together with a groan. “You care that the outside shows what’s—augh!—inside!”

He flopped limply on the deck and glared at her with one eye. “It’s a poor position for a politician to take.”

Applejack sat down as cows walked up with a stretcher secured to their backs. “Maybe ah ain’t a politician.”

Izod poked his head around the cows. His mouth dropped open when he caught sight of Aspen. He sat down hard.

He quietly watched them disembark. Applejack took notice that he wasn’t wearing his oversized hat. She walked past him with the intent to pay him no mind.

“He was my best friend,” Izod whispered, “and I never told him.”

Applejack pulled her hat over her eyes and plodded on.


Seabreeze paced across Megan’s bed. Slowly and painfully, but he was walking.

“How is she?” Celestia asked for the fifth time. She leaned forward and examined the girl. “Will she pull through?”

“Not eef eyew keep breathing her air!” Seabreeze said. “Keep eyewr distance!”

Zipporah rubbed her eyes. “I wish there was a magic brew, but that kind of thing would harm her, too.”

“Harm to her,” Andean mumbled, “or harm to you?”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

Andean sighed at the magic bubble floating beside him. “You don’t have to record that, you know.”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

Andean frowned. “This really isn’t of any historic value at all.”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

“If’n there’s one thing ah’ve learned,” Applejack said, “it’s that y’all can’t get nowhere arguin’ with dragons.”

“Ooh,” Shard said. “I’ll have to remember that one.”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

Mangle sat to the side, his hands cupped over his chin and his eyes contemplative. His ears perked up when Aida walked into the room. “Crumplezone gave me a list,” she said. “We’ll have them gathered up tomorrow.”

Mangle thanked her and turned back to Megan. “One less conspiracy to worry about.”

Celestia walked over to him and touched his arm with her wingtip. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“No.” Mangle shrugged her off. “But it happened in my house, so it’s my responsibility.”

“Hold on!” Applejack said. She waved her hat to get their attention. “She’s wakin’ up!”

Megan stirred, a small smile on her face. She opened her eyes.

The smile disappeared when she saw Celestia.

Megan muttered something and looked to the side.

Celestia also looked to the side. “Perhaps it is time to get her home.”

Mangle cracked his knuckles and stood up. “I think I can hook you up with that.”

Author's Note:

One chapter left, I believe. We'll wrap a few things up next time.