• Published 1st Apr 2014
  • 4,507 Views, 227 Comments

Lord Mayor Applejack - MyHobby



Applejack, Lord Mayor of Ponyville, is invited to the minotaur homeland of Beefland. A new sapient creature has been discovered and, frankly, they need Celestia's help. Foreign relations ensue.

  • ...
5
 227
 4,507

The Dietary Needs of an Omnivore * The Writing Habits of a Lizard * The Gravitational Pull of a Sunset

Applejack was pretty sure the Sapience was smiling. That or it was hungry. She’d only seen a face that flat on bulldogs, and the shape threw off the curve of the mouth.

Its eyes sparkled, so that was probably a good indication that Seabreeze wasn’t about to be devoured.

The breezie fluttered around the Sapience, examining every inch of the creature. When it held out a hand, fingers extended like a tree branch, he took a hesitant flap closer. After a second of deliberation, he appeared content to maintain his distance.

“I wunt to see the Sapeence,” Crisperfall could be heard saying. “Can I, Papa?”

Seabreeze gave the door a brief glance. “Noot oontil I am shoor that it won’t eat us whole.”

“That could be forever!”

Seabreeze crossed his forelegs. “Oor it could take all of three seconds.”

Crisperfall’s eyes widened, and the young breezie fell silent.

Seabreeze zipped behind the Sapience and examined the long hairs growing from its head. “Hmm. Mammalian, obviously enoof. Bipedal.” He waved a hoof. “Mees Aida, whoot are its dietary habits?”

“It seems to like fruit,” the cow aide said. “Vegetables, not so much.”

Seabreeze scratched his chin. “No real way to tell age, oor even general life cycle.”

The Sapience pointed at its outstretched fingers with its other hand, its mouth widening in its efforts to appear friendlier. Or maybe it was getting hungrier and had a terrible poker face.

Seabreeze peered closely, but not too much so, at the teeth. “Those incisors and canines… I think it might be omnivorous.”

Applejack stuck her head in the room. “Omniwhatnow?”

“Omnivorous,” Seabreeze repeated in his trilling voice. “Able to eat fruits and vegetables…” His eyes shifted to the Sapience. “And also meat.”

A hush fell on the crowd waiting outside the room.

“President Mangle,” Seabreeze said, “hev you tried to feed it meat yet?”

“Well, no.” Mangle popped his knuckles. “I didn’t wanna, you know, offend it or something.”

“Off—” Seabreeze threw his legs up. “Eef it is omnivorous, then it won’t be offended by plopping a carcass in front of it, will it?” He pounded one hoof into the other. “Theese is noot time for pansy-butt diplomacy, it is time for science!”

Another popped knuckle. “Can we wait for the griffons to get here? They know a thing or two about meat.”

“Eef eyewr chef is gooing to cook for them, then he should know a thing or two, too!”

The Sapience sat on a cushion, its blanket wrapped around its body. Its head turned one way and the other as it watched the conversation bounce back and forth. Its smile-or-hungry-look disappeared as it hung its head and studied its feet.

A strange growl rumbled out of it. It grasped at its stomach with a start. Applejack thought she detected a hint of a blush in its cheeks.

“One way or t’other,” Applejack said, “ah think it’s hungry now.”

Seabreeze watched the Sapience as he waved a hoof in Mangle’s general direction. “So goo grab a ham or soomthing.”

Mangle tensed up and looked away.

Izod brayed, a sneer on his lips. He held a hoof to his hat to keep it from rolling him over. “What’s got you tip-toeing around?”

“Much as it hurts to say it,” Applejack said, “ah kinda agree with Izod. It’s totally natural if it eats meat. Heck, it probably needs it for its body to work right. What’s chippin’ yer hooves?”

“Just…” Mangle snorted and rolled his shoulders. “Just don’t like meat, is all. Awful beefy stuff, you know?”

Celestia touched a wingtip to his elbow. “Perhaps it would be proper to delegate.”

“With your permission,” Aspen said, “I would be happy to inform the chef.”

“Thank you, Aspen.” Celestia patted Mangle’s arm as the donkey advisor trotted away. “Don’t worry about it, we all have our little quirks.”

Mangle gave a dismissive “pfft,” but his shoulders relaxed.

Aspen was away for a good twenty minutes, during which Crisperfall managed to finagle his way into the room. He was confined to either sitting on Royal Guard Care’s back, or nestling in the midst of her mane. Care kept her distance from the Sapience, though the way it hung back, it seemed equally happy with keeping away.

Applejack surmised that Izod was three times more likely to tip over without Aspen around to catch him. It took more willpower than she held to keep from guffawing every time it happened. He shot a glare her way each time, though the look never quite went away.

The first sign that Aspen was returning was the twitch in Mangle’s nostrils. The big minotaur coughed and held a hand over his face. The rest of the people present picked up the scent in short order, with varying reactions.

It wasn’t a bad smell, Applejack decided. She liked the smell of burning wood, and this was kinda-similar-maybe. It was almost like the smell of fire-roasted apples, except a bit harsher.

Izod did his best to outdo Mangle’s reaction, judging by the way he actively fake-gagged as the plate passed him by.

It didn’t look too bad, either, Applejack thought. It was just a round, pinkish slab on a plate, garnished with a sprig of parsley. The rising steam made her think of the old cinema cartoons where you could see the “smell” pick ponies up and carry them off.

The Sapience’s eyes grew wide. It turned to the door and opened its mouth about an inch. Drool escaped.

“There, eyew see?” Seabreeze polished a hoof on his form-fitting suit. “Omnivore.”

Aspen slowly, haltingly, achingly, inchingly placed the plate before the Sapience. He backpedalled quickly, desperately, and gladly. The Sapience looked at the plate, and its savory contents, and rubbed its hands together.

It reached for the ham, thought better of it, and turned to Celestia. It held out a fist, the thumb sitting on the top. Its other fist turned sideways and sat next to the first. The sideways fist moved towards and away from the vertical fist in a steady, even motion.

Mangle blinked. “Is it playing a tiny violin?”

The vertical fist came up to the Sapience’s open mouth.

“Naw,” Applejack said. “It wants silverware. Fork, knife, that sort of thing.”

Izod appeared between them, his hat swaying wildly. “No! No, we can’t give it those! It could become dangerous!”

Applejack scrunched her muzzle up. “It wants a fork.”

“Of course it does!” Izod said. “Haven’t you ever had your eye poked out with a fork before?”

Applejack closed one eye, then the other. “Can’t say as ah have.”

Izod blinked. “Well, neither have I, but it’s completely possible!”

“I agree weeth Izod,” Seabreeze said; he lolled his tongue to get the bad taste out of his mouth. “Vhee can’t joost geeve it tools right now. Not oontil after vhee can speak with it.”

Caution cleared his throat from his post at the door. “Your Majesty, per’aps Care and oi can serve as an incentive for the Sapience to b’have?”

“We’re in Mangle’s house,” Celestia said. She turned to the president. “He has the final say.”

Mangle ran his fingers through his beard. “Fine. Give it a fork and knife. Plastic.” He shrugged. “The thing has to eat.”

With the instruments procured, and with Care and Caution standing close by, the Sapience sat down to eat. Careful movements stabbed the fork into the meat, and the knife was drawn skillfully across its surface. A hunk was sawed off, and the sapience stuffed its cheeks full.

It chewed happily for far less than the requisite hundred times. Another hunk was cut and devoured, and so it went.

Celestia bent down to sit next to Applejack. “A bit for your thoughts.”

“If ah’d known my thoughts were worth that much, ah’d have started chargin’ years ago.” Applejack picked her hat off her head and set it to the side. “My gut tells me it ain’t dangerous. Ah ain’t an expert on such, ah know, but ah feel like this could come out as a good thing.”

She grimaced. “If somepony doesn’t screw it up. Heaven knows that’s easy to do.”

Celestia smiled. “I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Cooler heads will prevail.”

The lumbering steps of a cow rolled up as Aida joined the party. She bowed quickly to Mangle and said in a small, warble-wracked voice, “N-new arrival, Your Excellency.”

Mangle frowned. “Aida? What’s wrong?”

“M-might wanna”—Aida gulped—“see for yourself.”


(*): They exported other sorts of trees, including the type Ripshread used for the table in the Egg's dining hall, but cedars make for an especially nice metaphor.

Beefland was at least partially known for its export of cedar trees. As mighty, tall, and beefy as their cultivators, the trees were used in construction and art. They stood firm against the years, serving as a reminder of the strength of the minotaurs.(*)

It came as a bit of a shock to see these trees bowing in the wind.

Celestia’s serene mane usually didn’t see too much movement aside from a gentle wave. This wind, however, blew the glowing, pastel strands all over the place. One sparkling lock got into her mouth, prompting a princessly “Ptooee!”

“She always did like to make an entrance,” Mangle said. When it came to beards flowing majestically, his was the prime example.

(1): Timely intervention, in this case, translates to "combined weight."

Izod’s hat had been carried away the instant he stepped outside. He had clutched to the sides like an acrobat to a flying trapeze, and had to be pulled down to earth by the timely intervention (1) of both Caution and Aspen. The hat currently waited inside the Egg.

Applejack, on the other hand, was not so quick to abandon her hat. She clutched it to her head like a pony to a life raft. “What the heck is this? It’s like somepony opened up a can of stir-crazy pegasi!”

“It’s a hurricane on wings!” Seabreeze said. His tiny midsection was tied to Care’s via a short bungee cord, and fastened with only the most secure of latches. His cheeks ballooned out as he gripped the Care’s golden armor. “A living gale! A great beeg walking disaster!”

Mangle knelt down beside Care and Seabreeze. “I take it you’ve met Shard before?”

“Ja.” Seabreeze held his wings tight against his body. “Vhee had words a few years ago.”

“Ah,” Celestia said. She held a hoof to the side of her head to hold her mane at bay. “Then only Applejack needs to be introduced. This will make things a bit quicker.”

Applejack looked up at the cloudy sky. A rumble like thunder met her ears. “Quicker?”

“Shard has a bit of a habit.” Celestia searched the sky, a small smile on her face. “It’s a good habit for her, but it does take up a certain degree of time.”

A cloud exploded. Not with fire or lightning, but it was still suddenly spread out over a greater area than before. A flash of bluish-greenish color was spotted flying through it, before it vanished as quickly as it had come.

“Oh good,” Celestia said. “She’s close.”

The wind intensified into an alternating blast of heat and cold. Applejack shielded her face with her free hoof, but still couldn’t blot out the shiny, bluish-greenish tinge that landed in front of her.

The wind stopped.

Both of Applejacks hooves dropped as she steadied herself. She looked up. She looked further up. She looked even further up. Finally, she found the other person’s face.

(2): Swords were a widely popular weapon in both the minotaur and griffon cultures, mostly due to the existence of fingers. Other species utilized weapons of a more hoof-friendly make.

Scales that shimmered like gemstones. Muscles covered in armor and fit to tear down trees. Wings like the sails of a great ship. A tail like a steam locomotive. Teeth like swords (2). A mouth like a cave.

And, oddly enough, eyes that seemed very happy to see her.

“Applejack, I’d like to introduce you to a dear friend of mine.” Celestia spread her wings and flew up until she hovered beside the new arrival’s head. “Shardscale, Chronicler of the Dragons and Equestria.”

She turned to the dragon. “Shard, I’m honored to introduce you to my dear friend Applejack, Lord Mayor of Ponyville.”

Applejack stared for a moment, before lifting a hesitant hoof. “P-please to make—”

Shard held up a single claw. She opened her mouth and blew a gentle stream of flame. The blue fire hung in the air as she used her claw to swirl it around. She drew the shape of a feather pen, and then picked it right out of the air.

Another breath, another blue inferno. This time, she rolled her hand inside it until it swirled like a sideways tornado. A snap of her claws turned it into smoke, and another snap transfigured it into an enormous roll of paper. She grabbed the end, pulled it down, and then tapped her pen against it.

A voice rumbled out of the dragon, loud and low yet distinctly feminine. Like a mother using a middle name. “Okay, go ahead. I’m ready.”

Applejack tilted her head. “Ready for what?”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

“To take notes,” the dragon said. She peeked over the paper and smiled.

“Oh.” Scribble. “Uh, pleased to make yer acquaintance.” Scribble, scribble, scribble.

“I’m honored to meet a Bearer of the Element of Loyalty,” Shard said. She blinked and looked back through the scroll. “No, wait… Honesty. Sorry. Honesty.”

(3): Applejack first heard this word during a discussion with Twilight Sparkle about the potential for a cloud house to catch fire.

Applejack decided, through much searching of all the words that she had heard and read in her lifetime, that there was one very good word to describe the dragon’s voice. Between the depth of the voice and its manner of speaking, the best descriptor was “incongruous.” (3)

“Thanks,” Applejack said. “Ah dunno how much of an honor it is since ah haven’t gone all magic-sparkly in years.”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

(4): It was a bread plate, but a plate nonetheless.

“Heroic deeds from years ago are still heroic.” Shard tapped the paper to add a plate-sized (4) period to the end of a sentence. “Take it from a lizard who knows.”

She scribbled a few more words down, then turned to the others. “Who else do we have… President Mangle! How are yah? Is Able still your assistant?” At Mangle’s head-shake to the negative, she nodded. “Fair enough. Gonna have to introduce me to the newbie.” She sucked on the lower part of her mouth. “Hi, Izod. Been a while. Oh, and Aspen; hey!”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

“Care, Caution. Good to see you guys moving up in the guard.” Shard looked around, her green eyes taking it all in. “That everybody so far?”

“Noo, it is noot!” a tiny voice declared.

Shard stuck her pinkie claw into her ear. “Sorry, didn’t catch that.”

Seabreeze unlatched himself and flew towards the dragon. His eyelids were level as he addressed the much, much larger creature. “Eyew’re good at gathering information, boot you hev issues weeth the details!”

Shard scribble, scribble, scribbled with a humorless smirk. “Oh, yeah. Seabreeze. I missed the sound of your voice.”

Applejack judged that her body was as big as Shard’s eye. She had trouble imagining that the dragon could even see the breezie at all.

“I missed the sound of property damage because eyew couldn’t find the good decency to walk!” Seabreeze’s blue face grew purple as he shouted. He buzzed around the dragon’s ear.

“I said I was sorry,” Shard said. Her scaly mouth pouted. Her shoulder tensed as she resisted the urge to swat at her ear. “I even helped rebuild.”

“Seabreeze,” Celestia said in that firm voice of hers, “now is not the time or the place for a confrontation.”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

“Maybe,” Seabreeze growled, “I joost have issues with somepony that lacks the wisdom not to breathe on a breezie.”

Izod leaned to Aspen. “Why shouldn’t you breathe on a breezie?”

Aspen just sighed.

“Seabreeze,” Celestia said, “we can work this out later. For now, be still.”

Seabreeze crossed his forelegs and floated down to the ground.

Shard ran her tongue over her teeth. “So, Princess, who else are we expecting?”

Celestia’s eyes turned up in thought. “King Andean of the griffons, and Zipporah of the zebras. Once they’re here, we can get started in earnest.”

Shard made a “hmm” sound and hid behind the paper. “I was just in Felaccia.”

“Really?” Celestia said. Her eyebrows lowered. “What are the griffons up to these days?”

Shard smiled, but the smile faded like an ice cube melting in a dragon’s mouth. “Oh, hunting, hiking, building. That sort of stuff.” She flicked her eyes to the others with a quick nod of her head. “I’ll tell you all about it later.

Celestia caught the subtle stressing of the word “later.” “Gotcha.”

She landed in front of Mangle and gave him a smile. He got the hint.

“Say, everyone,” Mangle said, “how ’bout we head to the garden out back? Nice places to sit and talk and stuff.” He gave Celestia a hopeful grin. “Then maybe we can watch a sunset?”

She nodded. “Only the best, dear Mangle.”


Applejack sat quietly as she watched the sun go down. Celestia was putting her all into it tonight, slowing down the descent to make the sight that much more breathtaking. To see minutes tick by as the blue burned to orange, yellow, and red. To watch the clouds grow purple against a sky ready to rest. Even after the sun itself vanished below the horizon, there was still a glow of color that lit the world in warmth.

Applejack smiled as she turned to look over her shoulder. The opposite horizon, the other side of the sky, sank into deeper and deeper purple until it finally faded to black. Stars could be seen peering all over, winking at her.

She kinda thought maybe they were laughing. Just maybe.

“I’m jealous.”

Applejack jumped. She had taken a seat on the edge of the garden, away from the trees that would have obscured the view. She looked over and saw Shard’s head rounding a bunch of hedge bushes. The dragon seemed to wrap around the entire garden.

“Beg pardon?” Applejack said.

“I’m jealous,” that low, rumbling, incongruous voice said. “You ponies, you people that live in Equestria, get to see this every single day.”

“D-don’t you get sunsets out here… or, wherever you live?”

Shard rolled her eyes. “You don’t get them like this. The world’s round, you see, so it’s like shining a lamp on a ball. Some spots get brighter than others.”

Applejack patted the ground. “Don’t feel round.”

Shard’s voice was a whisper, like distant thunder. “When you fly as high as I do, you can see it.” She smiled. “It’s just really, really dang big.”

Applejack nodded towards Shard. “Ah guess ah gotta take your word for it.”

“Hey,” Shard said, “I’m sure there’s a way to get you up there. Or there will be, someday.”

“An earth pony like me?” Applejack snorted, then guffawed, then snorted again. “Ah was made for the dust, not the clouds.”

Shard chuckled. “Don’t be too sure of the impossible. Impossible just means that we haven’t figured out the ‘how’ part yet.”

Applejack smiled and shook her head. She saw a constellation she liked in particular and traced it with her eyes. “So, Chronicler of Dragons… And Equestria. What’s the story there?”

Shard settled in, rolling her shoulders behind a hibiscus. “Dragons, funny things. Did you know they can take naps a hundred years long?”

“Believe you me,” Applejack said, “ah know that much.”

Shard blinked. “Huh. Okay. Well, when you nap that much, the world tends to move on pretty far. History just slips right past you, see? So during the Dragon Migrations, every few hundred years or so, a dragon likes to get informed.” She prodded herself in the chest. “That’s where I come in.”

She blew a puff of smoke that reconfigured itself into a roll of parchment. It was about the size of a pony. She took it in her claws and unrolled it. “So they choose a dragon—usually a young one, since we don’t nap as much—to fly around the world and chronicle stuff.” She draped the scroll across the ground in front of Applejack. “I give you last migration’s edition of the History of Equestria.”

Applejack read a few of the opening lines. “Summer Sun Celebration… Nightmare Moon… Hay, this is our story!”

“Darn right,” Shard said. “One of my favorite stories. I guess you could say it’s why I became the chronicler.”

Applejack looked up. “So you’ve been chronicler for six, seven years?”

“Just about.” Shard picked up the scroll, burned it with her breath, and watched it vanish into blue smoke. “Just getting started, but it’s a good start.”

Applejack lay down on her back, her hat sitting on her forehead. “Now what about the Chronicler of Equestria part?”

“It’s basically the same job,” Shard said. “I just send my files to Celestia after I get a few good scrolls’ worth. It gets printed, we both have documents, it’s all good.”

“You’re here to record the Sapience?” Applejack asked.

“That,” Shard said, “and just the fact that we’ve got so many leaders meeting in the same place. Do you know how long it’s been since the last time we’ve gotten all these folks together?”

“Ah’m guessing a long time?”

“Oodles of years.” Shard flexed the claws on her right hand. “This is historic to the max.”

Shard grabbed her giant feather pen and scribbled. Applejack tilted her hat back. “What’s up?”

“Just transcribing our conversation,” Shard said. “For posterity and all that.”

“Posterity.” Applejack hit a hoof against the ground. “Oh! That’s what you were doin’ when you first got here. You wanna make sure you don’t miss anythin’ important!”

“Bingo.” Shard closed her eyes and tilted her nose up. “You never know when somebody’s gonna propose, or declare war, or that kinda stuff.”

Applejack pulled her hat over her eyes. She blew a breath out between her lips. “Too right. Sometimes ah really wish ah could know that kinda stuff beforehand.”

“Even if you did,” Shard said, “you’d still have to do something about it.”

Applejack smiled. “The apples fall quicker if you know where to buck the tree.”

Shard thought for a moment, her pen hovering over the paper. She laughed.

Scribble, scribble, scribble.