• Published 1st Apr 2014
  • 3,672 Views, 51 Comments

Finding Purpose - Archangel of the Silent



A week in Canterlot and a near-fatal accident may hold better things than expected for Twilight and Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
13
 51
 3,672

A whole week? pt 1

The six stood on the lading dock of the Ponyville train station. Twilight and Rainbow Dash had decided to get to Canterlot early. For all their troubles in the capital of Equestria- the Grand Galloping Gala, Twilight's birthday, the so-named "Discord issue", or Twilight's coronation, it seemed that only really Twilight knew where she was going. She was so looking forward to it, and could tell her friend was, too. I don't like her like that, Twilight would say to herself. Right?

It was on no matter nor consequence now. The conductor yelled his classic "all aboard", and the two who were leaving stepped onto the train, and were greeted to the scent of burning coal. The royal transport car of the train didn't ever seem to change. Same beds, same curtains, same spot in the line. That one was hard to change, but it any change would've been welcome change. Still, Twilight didn't complain, not once- she got to ride with her friends for free in the most comfortable car in Equestria, so she wasn't going to.

Pinkie Pie was standing on the edge of the platform, nigh sticking her head into a train door that was getting ready to close. Eyes wide and mouth open, she spoke, "be sure to right!"

"Classic Pinkie," Dash spoke up as the door began to close. "We're only going to be gone a week." With the door now closed, the train took off. One week that may change everything for the better, Dash thought. Or worse... She forced herself to take deep breaths. Twilight's modesty was seconded only to Fluttershy, but she would understand that Dash had a crush on her, even if she couldn't reciprocate- wouldn't she? No matter how many times she said yes, the thought would find a way to nudge itself back into her subconscious. Rainbow "Danger" Dash does not get nervous like this! Gathering her own thoughts, she was able to turn to Twilight and say, "Thanks for taking me along. I know it's just 'cause I was the only one who could make it, but still. It'll be nice getting to spend some real time with my best friend."

Twilight was taken back- knowing how long the mare had been friends with the others, she knew she didn't deserve the honor. "I'll just address those points in order," she started. "You're welcome, I would've taken all of you if I could, we spend time together a lot," Twilight almost stuttered out her next words. "And, I'm your best friend?" She was surprised with how easy they came out.

Rainbow Dash, being her brash self, replied in kind. "Well, yeah! Honestly, egghead. Who'd you think it would be?" Being honest with herself, she was afraid of the answer. She'd loved Twilight for so long, but had hoped that it would show through a subtle charm. Clearly, it wasn't working.

"I don't know. Fluttershy, I guess. I mean, you two did practically grow up with each other." She caught herself blushing, but couldn't stop it. Best friend is so close, she thought. No need to push it now. Though, a little prodding would help... "Besides, I know a lot of ponies think you two are... you know."

Alarmed now, Dash forced herself to calm down. People thought she and Fluttershy were... The pegasi loved each other, but in a platonic way, like anypony would love a friend. "Really? Fluttershy and me?"

"Fluttershy and I," Twilight corrected her.

Why does it have to be her? Rainbow thought. "Fluttershy and I, though? We're good friends, nothing more." Honestly, Dash was just telling Twilight she was single to keep up appearances- the alicorn never seemed to notice it.

"For the record, I think you two would be cute together." She hadn't lied- she had heard that rumor, silently wishing all the while it wasn't true. It seemed like a horrible thing to wish for, that not one but two friends wouldn't find happiness, at least not with each other. It was better than the alternative, though- the two were seeing each other and would have a falling out. "If you don't mind it, I think I'm going to catch some sleep. I was up way to late last night packing."

As Twilight was walking off, the pegasus had just started to say, "There's a reason it's you." But her friend was gone. Silently, she kicked herself. For dissing Fluttershy, for not telling Twilight, for even assuming that the smart, nice, funny, beautiful alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle would've been interested in a simple pegasus from Cloudsdale.

After all, last Hearts and Hooves day hadn't been failure enough, apparently.


Twilight always spent that day and night alone, reading in the library. No more, Dash decided. It was going to set her back a few bits, but she didn't care. This year, Twilight's day would be perfect. She bought everything she would need, and somehow managed to resist questioning from the salesponies. She flew home with everything in her saddlebag- a box of various chocolates, several violet tulips (they were Twilight's favorite. Rainbow Dash had always made a habit of surprising ponies with how much she did pay attention to what they were saying), the finest quill and parchment she had (she didn't just have those things laying around), and a small, silver locket in the shape of a six-point star lined with small amethysts. She just knew it would be perfect.

At home, She took out the parchment, ink, and quill, and wrote in her finest hoofwriting for Twilight. It was almost unrecognizable compared to her normal hoofwriting, but Twilight deserved her best.


For Twilight Sparkle,
I apologize for my anonymity, but you needed to know this. Ever since you came to Ponyville, I've felt a special connection with you. I know you'll never share my feelings, but I wanted you to have this. Even if you never find me, I wouldn't have you any other way.

She added a small heart at the end and rested the locket inside. When the big night reared it's usually ever-so-ugly head, she found herself at the door to the library, with more than a few butterflies in her stomach. Gently, she took one of her cyan feathers and lay it on the ground. She placed the chocolates on top of it. Next came the flowers, with the card resting on the top. Quickly, she turned her head to the sky and spotted what she was looking for. A medium sized cloud, not to far away for Dash to see whatever was happening in the library. If all else failed, she would try the "I'm just a courier" card and see where it got her. Steeling herself, she brought her hoof to rest on the door, knocking. As fast as she could, she dashed up to the cloud.

Luckily, she was fast about it. Twilight was immediately at the door, as though waiting for somepony. The look on Twilight's face immediately made the cost worth it for Dash. She magically grabbed everything off the ground and took them all inside. Everything, that is, except the feather, the only identifying mark of the whole package. A sense of dismay swept over the pegasus in the cloud. Twilight paid so much attention to everything, but missed the most important part! Even through it, Dash smiled. That kind of obliviousness made Twilight way too damn attractive for her own good.

From her cloud, the pony heard the most beautiful voice singing what seemed to be some kind of love song. It took her only a moment to recognize the voice- Twilight. Looking through the window, Rainbow now noticed that Twilight had brought everything she had to the loft. "I just can't believe this!" She was almost screaming to herself. She calmed herself, but only to string together a coherent thought. As she opened the card, though, that changed. The locket slipped and nearly hit the ground before Twilight caught it. She gazed at it so long with those beautiful, magenta eyes that Dash thought she might have bought a hypnosis amulet. Still, she thought, she could just sit here and watch Twilight until she snapped out of it.

"Spike! Clear my schedule," Twilight began to speak to her assistant. "I must find the stallion responsible for this."

Stallion. The word rang, echoed painfully in Dash's head. Not mare, not pony- just stallion. Twilight didn't like mares. She didn't like Rainbow Dash, not like that. She kicked the cloud into oblivion. Crying with all her heart and soul, the took off towards her own home at just under the sound barrier. She had no desire to attract attention.

For once in her life, Rainbow Dash just wanted to be left alone, with no one to even care.

Author's Note:

This one had to be broken up into small chapters. I got the Hearts and Hooves Day idea from a friend of mine, and I must say I like it. Despite the week in Canterlot, most of the fun stuff happens during the first night and following morning, though I will touch on the rest of the week. Ooh, this is gonna be fun! at least, for me. Comments will ALL be responded to in some way until I start writing my next story. Then I'll be to busy. Fill it up while you can, ponies! (4/3/2014)