• Published 30th Mar 2014
  • 11,177 Views, 766 Comments

The Necromantic Adventures of Lyra Heartstrings - SaintAbsol



"I did not pick this, it just happened. It was this or ballet, and I can't dance."

  • ...
23
 766
 11,177

Machinations of the Other Side

“Um... we... do?”

Ditzy's left eye swiveled in its socket, her right one finally getting its focus back as she looked at the cloaked mare across from her. The room she had been summoned to was dark, and the cowl over the other pony's head didn't even let Ditzy see her muzzle. She thought she could see the tent of a horn near the top, be the folds of the hood made even that unclear. The voice was the only thing she could be sure about.

“Yes.”

Ditzy blinked at the blunt response. “Uh... okay... but my daughter will probably be summoning me back pretty soon.”

“And that's where I come in.”

Ditzy jumped as a voice came from behind her; she whirled around, squinting into the darkness. This time, the figure that resolved into sight was a blue stallion, an earth pony one, with a bright orange mane and tail. He was wearing a collar with an orange bow tie, and as he stepped around her, she spotted the hourglass cutie mark of a chronomancer on his flank. The light of a spell played about his hooves as he walked and what little color Ditzy could see suddenly darkened, becoming noticeably redder.

“Um...”

“No need to worry, Ms. Doo,” the cloaked mare assured her. “My associate has merely accelerated our personal time stream; the color-shift is just from the light taking longer to get to us.”

Ditzy blinked. “...I'll take your word for it.”

“Can we move this conversation along?” The chronomancer stallion pulled a pocket watch out of his collar and flipped it open. “We have a schedule to keep and even I can only stretch my seconds so far.”

“Calm yourself, Perfect Pace,” the mare said. “We have plenty of time.”

“Er... time to what?” Ditzy's eye swiveled in its socket as she glanced back and forth between the two. “What is going on here?”

“It's nothing to be concerned about; I'm sure you know how chronomancers can be about their own time.”

Ditzy simply blinked. “O...kay. Is there... any particular reason you're going for the 'hooded figure' look and your friend there isn’t? Take it from me, that gets more attention than it does anonymity.”

“Some secrecy is necessary for me,” the mare admitted. “I find it more important that nopony know the face under this hood, nor the mark on my flank, than I do attempting to dissuade their assumptions and prejudices.” She turned her covered head to look at Perfect Pace. “A belief my… associate doesn’t share.” She turned back to Ditzy “And surely you, of all ponies, can understand my point of view.”

Ditzy tilted her head at this.

“The kindhearted lich, the undead mother to two daughters, and – much more recently – the lover of the chronomancer called 'Time Turner'.” The other mare paused for a moment. “I'm sure you've wished, more than once, that your condition was... not so widely known, shall we say?”

Ditzy's eyes drifted apart slightly as cast her gaze around. “Well... there's a few tax benefits to being listed as deceased...”

“That wasn't the question, Ms. Doo.”

Sighing to herself, Ditzy slowly nodded. “Yeah, okay, I'll give you the hood. But... um... I'm pretty sure you didn't call me here to talk about fashion.”

“No,” the mare admitted, “though it is good for breaking the ice.”

Perfect Pace scoffed at this, but held his tongue when the hooded mare's head turned to him.

“Anyway, what I truly wish to talk about, Ms. Doo, is you.”

Ditzy cocked an eyebrow. “Um... I know there's a few stereotypes about how liches work, and they're deserved half the time, but didn't you just get done talking about how I wasn't exactly like most of them?”

“You misunderstand me, Ms. Doo. This isn't about recruiting you to some nefarious organization or convincing you to act more like the stereotypical lich. Rather, it is about you... and your family.”

The air within their time shifted bubble became very still as Ditzy's eyes both focused on the cloaked mare. “What about my family?”

The mare simply pressed on. “Sparkler is growing up very fast, isn't she? Most would say she's already a mare of her own by now.”

“She always was independent.” Ditzy answered curtly.

“Yet she still calls herself your daughter.” The mare started walking around Ditzy. “And Dinky, you've been watching her grow as the days go by... and you don't change.”

Ditzy's eyes narrowed. “Excuse me?”

“How many years has it been since your passing, Ms. Doo? Five years? Ten?”

Ditzy hesitated for a moment before answering. “Twenty-one years next month.”

“And your body... has it changed since then?”

Ditzy fidgeted on the spot, no longer looking at the other mare. “Well, I rot...”

“You're avoiding the question again, Ms. Doo. And you know exactly what I am talking about. You have the body of a mare in her late twenties, when you're nearly fifty. Even if you rot, do you really think you won't live to see a century? Or two? Even if you stopped taking care of yourself, you'd make it at least a few more decades before you became unrecognizable. And I really don't think you'd allow such a thing to happen, not while Time Turner still lives.”

Ditzy's eyes wandered in different directions, desperate to not actually look at the mare circling her. She'd asked herself similar questions in the past, usually late at night when the living ponies in her life had fallen asleep. The lines of thought they’d led her down were rarely comforting, and only stopped with the rising of the sun or the occasional late-night delivery notice.

She scrunched her eyes shut, forcing her mind to focus. “Can you get to the point?” she snapped, with a bit more force than she'd intended.

“My point, Ms. Doo, is... what if you didn't have to worry about any of that?”

Ditzy's eyes slowly opened to look at the cloaked mare. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“What if you never had to worry about Dinky and Sparkler withering and dying as you watch? What if you didn't have to worry about Time Turner overtaxing his abilities and dying as well? What if nopony, ever, had to die.”

Ditzy slowly blinked, then hardened her gaze into a minor glare. “And this is where you ask me to join you in your totally not evil club to control who lives and dies.” She scoffed, turning away from her. “Yeah, not interested.”

“It's not controlling who lives and dies, Ms. Doo, it's stopping death altogether.”

“You can't just stop death,” Ditzy snapped back. “Everything has its time and everything dies.”

“You don't.”

“I already am dead; this isn't life, it's a poor mare's imitation of it!”

“And who said you had to stay that way?”

Ditzy's vision lost focus as her eyes moved in two different directions. “It doesn't work that way! Death doesn't get undone, even for necromancers!”

“We happen to disagree.”

“Of course you do!” Ditzy found herself facehoofing. “So transparently evil, and crazy as well. I'm not interested; just because I'm a lich doesn't mean I care to chase after pointless-”

“Have you ever asked Ms. Heartstrings about her father?”

Ditzy blinked as she was cut off. “Huh?”

“Her father,” the mare repeated. “Have you ever asked about him?”

“Well, no; she doesn't like to talk about him. What does-”

“You really should ask her about him. You might be surprised what she has to say about him.”

Ditzy blinked, her head tilting as she looked at the cloaked mare. “...huh?”

“We're almost out of time,” Perfect Pace made Ditzy jump as he snapped closed his watch. “It's been nearly two minutes outside of our little time pocket; her family will be completing the ritual to summon her back any moment now.”

“Very well,” the mare nodded to him behind the hood, then turned back to Ditzy. “I realize you doubt us, and you have every right to, but I still believe it would be good for you to ask Lyra about her father. After all, he was the one who made the spell in the first place.”

Ditzy blinked again. “What sp-” She vanished with a 'pop', yet again.

Blue light played around Perfect Pace's hooves as the colors within the room shifted back to normal. “Think she'll actually help us?”

“I can't say for certain,” the cloaked mare said. “But, her... uniqueness would make her a very valuable ally. And a very difficult enemy, should we anger her.”

The chronomancer scoffed, checking his watch yet again. “Well, this has been a phenomenal waste of time. Can we move on to more important matters then?”

“Always with your complaining,” she muttered. “We did what we came here to do, and well within your obsessive schedule as well. Now, let me put together the proper spell circle.”

Perfect Pace rolled his eyes, blue light playing around his hooves again as a bubble surrounded his companion and made the work of a few minutes that of a few seconds.

She turned back to him sharply. “I hate it when you do that without my permission,” she snapped.

“I fail to see why your opinion on the matter is important. I have a schedule to keep, and I will not be delayed with trivialities.”

A growl emerged from the hidden mare's throat, but she turned and stomped on the sigil. Light flared up from the design and the area within them warped and waved as if a massive heat source had appeared. “Go then, the path is ready.”

Perfect Pace calmly walked passed her, stepping into the haze and vanishing from the room without a sound or sight. The cloaked mare counted to five in her head, then stepped in herself, pushing a bit of magic out through her hooves as she went. The sigil flared up as she vanished, then exploded into glittering dust, floating down to lightly coat the floor of the room, leaving only that as evidence of what transpired.


“Thanks for the save back there.” The pegasus stallion set his staff down as he rubbed at one of his ears. “Probably would have died if you hadn't done your little trick with the music.”

“No prob, sugar~.” Sapphire's voice still held her song-like timber, and even the tiny movements of trotting about seemed akin to a dance. Pretty much everything about her related back to rhythm in some way, or so it seemed to him. “Happy to help, Hexy.”

Winter Hex frowned at the nickname, a warmth rising in his face. “You know I don't like it when you call me that.”

“Yeah,” Sapphire chuckled. “But it's the easiest way to get you to blush.”

Winter Hex blinked, the warmth growing into a heat intense enough to make him sweat. He had to shake his head a few times to clear it before speaking again. “Th-that's not important!”

“Whatever you say, Hexy~.”

He snorted as he took to the air to put some distance between the two. “Look, we're going to be late if we don't hurry. So let's just–”

“Oh, Hexy~,” Sapphire called from ground level. “You forgot your staff again~.”

Winter Hex growled to himself as he flew back to the ground to snatch up the staff, then hurried back into the air. “Why?” he grumbled. “Why did I get stuck with the pony who flirts with anyone and everything under the burning sun?”

He could feel her watching him as he flew along, could even occasionally hear a half-coherent song as she trotted along near the ground. The plains they now traveled weren't the best for stealth, but they'd left the paladin and the slayer long behind, and he hadn't felt the presence of that strange demon since they'd left town, meaning he was left with nothing to occupy his thoughts save his companion.

He still didn't understand how a pony could be as skilled with song, especially bardsong, and not have that as her cutie mark skill. And he was hesitant to ask about it, lest she turn it into a conversation about his interest in her flank.

Especially since, given his own predilections, she wouldn't have been entirely wrong to make it about that.

A flash from ground level a short distance ahead finally snapped Winter Hex out of such thoughts. He called down to Sapphire as he angled his wings into a glide, descending just in time to catch Perfect Pace as he trotted out the rippling air.

The Chronomancer gave a hard look at Winter, and a matching one to Sapphire when she joined them, pulling out his watch as the cloaked mare joined them. “We're running twenty-six seconds behind schedule, and that blasted blighter isn't here yet either.”

“Nopony gives a flying feather, Pace,” Winter snapped as he alighted on the ground. “And nopony gives a damn about your impossible-to-keep schedules, either.”

Smack!

Winter staggered to the side in pain, his ears ringing from the backhoof. Perfect Pace glared at him, his hoof still raised even as Sapphire interposed herself between the two. “I will not be insulted by an impudent whelp such as yourself, boy! You will show me respect, or I will beat it into you; understood?”

Winter growled, rubbing the spot he'd been struck. That was going to leave a mark, no question. “I understand...”

“'I understand...'” Perfect Pace prompted harshly.

“I understand, Sir.”

“Good.” Perfect Pace finally lowered his hoof, if not his glare. “Maybe there is some hope for you.”

“Well, this is a pleasant time to walk in, isn't it?”

All four of the gathered ponies staggered as their hearts slowed in their chests. The cloaked mare was the first to react, turning her hooded face to the speaker. “Release your hold, murderer!”

The blighter, her disheveled form still looking quite battered and bruised, barely raised an eyebrow, but the metaphysical grip on their hearts lessened to a dull ache all the same. “Sorry,” she said, sounding anything but. “Doesn't really come with an off-switch.”

Winter Hex panted as he leaned heavily on his staff, doing his best to help Sapphire to her hooves again. “Starting to think that's a bushel of horse-apples, Redheart.”

“Irrelevant!” Perfect Pace finally managed to reassert his own strength. “We are nearly a full minute behind schedule thanks to all this nonsense, and we still have a quarter-hour's walk ahead of us! No more lollygagging!” He set off, cantering off with enough speed that the group had little choice but to follow him.

Winter eventually took to the air once more, just as trees started to come into view and a forest rapidly engulfed them. Their pace slowed considerably once they passed the treeline, the woods lacking in any discernible trails, but Pace kept them going as quickly as they could move, trying to 'make up for lost time'.

The air was deathly still, most likely thanks to the presence of the blighter making any creatures who called this place home avoid their little group, but it wasn't until they came within sight of a cave leading into the earth that they truly felt unease.

There was a presence here, the kind that only came from a truly powerful magic user, and stepping into the cave only magnified it. It was like a sense of dread that grew more and more oppressive as they descended into the darkness. Winter alighted on the ground, finding flight a bit more taxing all of a sudden, and moved a bit closer to a much more still and silent Sapphire. His staff flared with the red-tinged radiance of his goddess to provide them light, but even it seemed to be insufficient to fully clear the darkness.

Finally, after walking around several twists and turns, always moving downward, the five of them entered a large cavern, a stone table sitting in the center. And seated at that table, the one who had gathered all of them together.

The decrepit old goat looked ready to fall apart in a stiff breeze. His matted fur had turned wizened and white with age, what had once been a pair of strong ram's horns on his head were chipped and broken, his skin hung loosely over a set of bones that looked ready to snap if he moved too quickly, and one of his eyes was gray and unfocused in blindness.

However, as his good eye turned to regard them, even Redheart staggered at the force of his magical potential. Winter's light was snuffed out, the blighter's hold on them vanished completely, and the cloaked mare gasped as she felt the protective wards in her outfit weaken into near non-existence.

“Your incompetence continues to astound me.” The goat's voice evoked images of rusted doors on unoiled hinges being forced open. “Did any of you complete the tasks I gave you?”

Perfect Pace, with a grunt of effort, managed to speak first. “We made contact with the lich Ditzy Doo, Sir.” When the goat didn't respond immediately, he continued. “She hasn't been convinced to help us, but you were right about her family being where she was weakest.”

“Of course I was.” The goat shuffled about, heedless of the darkness. “And what of the necromancer?”

Redheart grunted. “She still clings to the Paladin and her lies. I saw no weakness.” A tense silence followed her words. “And... the druids are aware of my presence here.”

There was a flash of magic and Redheart suddenly cried out in agony. “You couldn't resist, could you?” The goat’s voice cut through the blighter's screams. “Couldn't hold off on trying to kill a druid, even for a short time.”

“You– AH! You said to draw her out!” Redheart's screaming redoubled.

“I said to draw her out carefully!” he countered. “Not make a huge show and alert others.” He let her scream for a moment longer, then finally let the spell go.

“And what of you?” Winter staggered under the weight of his attention. “What of the lead I sent you to investigate?”

He struggled to speak for a moment. “There– there were–”

“We ran into a demon.”

It was so rare to hear Sapphire's voice without it's usual melodic timber that Winter almost didn't recognize it. Still, it got the goat's attention off him for a moment and let him breathe again.

“A new ally?” the goat questioned.

“No.” Winter finally found his voice. “She was working with a slayer and aided one of the paladins. Even my attempts to dispel the binds on her didn't break whatever they did to enslave her. If it hadn't been for Sapphire, I wouldn't have survived.”

He could hear the goat mumbling various things under his breath, barely catching half-heard snippets of words. “Well then,” their benefactor finally said, “this is an interesting development. But, first–” There was another flash and Winter was blasted onto his back by a ball of magic. “That's for failing the task I set to you. And, thanks to both of these failures, the Solar Order is going to know something is happening, even if they can't begin to guess what. I'm going to need to rework the timetable. Redheart!”

The blighter groaned as she slowly picked herself up off the floor. “Sir?”

“Be ready to leave within the hour, Winter will be going with you; if subtlety is beyond you, we might as well use you for something flashy. The rest of you can wait for now, until I can confirm something. Now, leave me be. I need to prepare.”

Winter's staff suddenly sparked to life once more, as did the cloaked mare's protective spells and even Redheart's heart-slowing aura. The stone table sat empty, with no sign of the goat that had once sat at it.

Winter Hex gingerly pulled himself to his hooves, wincing at bit and rubbing his back. “I hate it when he does that.”

Sapphire rolled her eyes. “I know, right? He's one to talk about subtlety~.”

“Irrelevant.” Now that the oppressive feel of the goat's magic was gone, Perfect Pace slid right back into his usual leadership role. “You heard his orders; you two,” he pointed his hoof at Redheart and Winter, “get ready to leave. We have a schedule to keep.”

Winter glanced at Redheart and felt a chill in his stomach as he saw her smile at him. He turned away with a gulp, muttering a prayer to Solar Flare under his breath. Times like this were when he truly regretted his life choices.

Author's Note:

And here we go, after this obscene delay, here's a short chapter to prove I'm not dead. Not the most interesting, I'm sad to say, but I'm glad to finally have something out for you guys to read.

Thanks to: R5h, Nicktendonick, FanOfMostEverything, TheTownCrier, ChasingResonance, and AppleTank. They were my editors this time around... I really need to find a dedicated one eventually.