• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 9,408 Views, 700 Comments

The Outsiders - Arania



Twilight is accidentally catapulted into a world she never knew existed, and is forced to work with the inhabitants of this strange world to stop an inter-universal war.

  • ...
28
 700
 9,408

Dumping Ground

Wake up!

The shout came like a slap to the face, abruptly forcing Twilight’s brain back into a conscious, if disoriented state. Her eyes struggled to focus, pain radiating across her muzzle in a manner that led her to believe she may actually have been slapped in the face, and not simply yelled at. The gray-encircled-by-yellow blob that dominated her vision, only one pony that could be, did nothing to dissuade her theory.

“Ow,” Twilight moaned, flailing somewhat as she turned and regained her footing. “Why’d you hit me?”

“I didn’t.”

“You’re a bad liar,” she shot back, shakily getting to her hooves, wrinkling her muzzle in annoyance as an unidentified liquid dripped from her nose.

“Your nose is bleeding.”

“I am?” Twilight poked her tongue out, only to recoil at the overwhelmingly metallic taste. “Why’d you hit me?

“No, really,” Walleye asserted, voice tinged with worry. “I didn’t hit you.”

“Why do you even care? It’s not like hitting me is out of character for you.”

“Celestia above… I didn’t hit you!” Walleye growled, exasperated. “There’s blood all over the floor. You probably fell on your face or something.”

“Why would I fall on my face?”

“...Do you even remember what just happened?”

“I… something... about Pinkie Pie?” Twilight wondered aloud, tapping her hoof to her chin in contemplation.

“I think you might have a concussion.”

“From you hitting me, probably.”

“No. We were fighting a Sparkle, you managed to pin her down after she killed Rainboom, and then your magic went all… Sombra.”

Rainboom’s dead?” Twilight exclaimed, whipping her head around to stare at Walleye as her vision finally cleared. “How?”

“Rogue Sparkle threw her into a Void rift. Not the best way to go, but considering our fate, I’m kinda wishing I’d gone out that way.”

“Don’t say that,” Twilight snapped, looking around. “Alive is better than… dead…”

Her words died in her throat as she fully took in the world the found herself in. The entire landscape was littered with debris, fragments of buildings, vehicles, and what she could only assume were bones jutted out of the landscape, and each other, in a manner that seemed as though they had been teleported into the positions they now occupied. Stone met brick and brick met bone at odd, unnatural angles, forming vast, seamless, and chaotic spires that reached far into the air.

The sky itself was the most unnerving feature. It was black, but unlike the unnatural darkness of rifts into the void, or the star-speckled dark of the night sky, this was a black that seemed to blur into the foreground. As her view darted around, visual echoes of the terrain she had been previously looking at flickered in Twilight’s view, as though her brain didn’t quite know how to interpret what it was seeing and opted simply to repeat what had previously been occupying that area in her field of view.

As she watched, a black fissure formed intersecting one of the debris spires, lingering in place for a moment before fading and leaving a shard of stone in its place, jutting at right angles out of what appeared at first glance to be a gigantic rib bone.

“Where are we?” she breathed, utterly awestruck by the vista.

“I don’t know.”

What did I do?

“I have no idea,” Walleye replied, genuine fear in her voice. “And this is coming from me. I’ve seen some bucked stuff in my time, but what you did… was something else entirely.”

“So, neither of us know what I did or where we are.”

“We could be in Tartarus…”

“No, Tartarus is an actual place. Each world has its own Tartarus, I’m pretty sure. If I wasn’t inside it right now, I’d swear this place didn’t, couldn’t, exist.”

“Tartarus is real?

“...Seriously?”

“What?”

“You’re a special ops pony working for an inter-dimensional secret society, you just, for lack of a better description, fell out of space-time, and you’re surprised that Tartarus exists?”

“Okay, enough of that.”

“What, embarrassed?

“Twilight, this is not the time,” Walleye hissed, irritation wound into her voice. “You’re more than welcome to ridicule me later about my knowledge, or lack thereof, of the finer points of Interior… Wait, no, you don’t get to ridicule me, that’s not how it works. I give the orders, you follow them. And right now, I’m ordering you: get us out of here.”

An unnatural, otherworldly shriek echoed over them, punctuated by a chain of unsettling organic cracks, as though to reinforce Walleye’s order. Twilight’s ears reflexively flattened against her skull, the fur on the back of her neck prickling up as a wave of dust was kicked up by the shock of the sound passing over them.

“What was that?” Twilight whispered.

“I don’t know.”

“It sounded like… metal. Tearing. Like paper.”

“I don’t know, alright?” Walleye growled, fear seeping into her own voice as she instinctively backed away from the direction the sound came from. “I don’t know! I don’t know what it was, I don’t know where we are, Rainboom is dead, I don’t know where Lyra and Pinkie are, so you need to get us out of here before whatever made that noise comes after us!”

“You don’t know where they are?”

“Of course not! I thought I was here alone until I found you!”

Twilight looked around. Shards of fractured Exterior metal poked out from the ground around her, partially superimposed into the rock like most of the landscape she had seen. Dozens of other objects from the Exterior room she had just been in were scattered around her in an area a few hundred hooflengths wide. Off in the distance, she spotted another shard of Exterior, jutting vertically downwards from an overhang.

A twinge of fear shot through her as she realised that the spot she had been lying, distinguishable by the puddle of rapidly-drying blood, was only barely in open space. She had avoided reappearing inside solid rock by mere fractions of a hooflength.

“They… might not have survived.”

“How do you figure?”

“Look,” Twilight said, pointing at the blood. “That’s where you found me, right?”

“Yeah…”

“Well, stuff that arrives here doesn’t fall from the sky,” she said, gesturing at the unnatural heavens. “It seems like it just… pops into existence wherever it pleases. If that piece of wall had arrived two or three hooflengths lower, you would have found me sticking out of the ground.”

“Couldn’t I have just dug you out?”

“Not buried, Walleye, superimposed,” Twilight explained. “Like two images projected atop each other. Their very molecules are intertwined. And that’s if I was only a little bit lower. What if I had emerged completely inside the rock? You wouldn’t have even known I was here!”

“...Oh,” Walleye replied, after the mental image had properly sunk in. “So…”

“Yeah.”

“So Pinkie and Lyra are dead, too?”

“No… Maybe? I don’t know.”

“That’s helpful, rookie.”

“Look, I don’t know, alright? Where did you turn up?”

“About a thousand hooflengths up,” Walleye replied, pointing in the direction of an area comparatively devoid of complex terrain. “Half a klick that way.”

“What, by yourself? No walls or anything?”

“Just me and my wings.”

“Right, well… You probably tumbled through the Void differently to the walls around you. Weren’t you in the air at the time? Maybe being in contact alters the components of your eight-vector enough to…”

“You’re speaking words, but I’m pretty sure they’re not the same language as mine.”

“Well, think of it like turbulence, only instead of it being in a three-dimensional world like…”

“Irrelevant. Get us out of here.”

“...The one we… Sorry?”

“Whatever you’re magi-babbling on about is irrelevant to the task at hand, which is getting us out of here.”

“I thought we’d agreed that we needed to find Lyra and Pinkie?”

“No, That’s what you want. Meanwhile, I am ordering you to teleport us off this world.

“And leave them behind?”

“We’re no good to them if whatever else is here gets to us first! Teleport us! NOW!

“I’m not going to…”

CAST THE CELESTIA-DAMNED SPELL, INSIDER!

Twilight took a step back, surprised.

“So much for respect...”

Walleye just glared at her, wings twitching in annoyance as she tapped her hoof impatiently on the ground, waiting.

“Fine,” Twilight acquiesced, igniting her horn and pulling Lunatic’s spell to the forefront of her mind, feeding it her homeworld as a target before allowing it to discharge.

>Cynosure Acquisition Failure

Twilight tilted her head in confusion as the spell pinged back, the message entirely unfamiliar.

Well?” Walleye demanded.

“It… didn’t work.”

“Or you didn’t try.”

“No, really. It failed,” Twilight insisted, re-casting the spell with the same parameters.

>Cynosure Acquisition Failure

“Failed how?”

“I’m not sure. I… think it might not be able to find a way to where I told it to send us.”

“Send us somewhere else, then.”

With a huff, she re-ignited her horn, pulling the spell up again and allowing it to discharge without a target input.

>Void Intrusion Failure

“Oh, come on!”

“Waiting, rookie.”

“I don’t know what’s wrong. It won’t cast at all.”

“Stop with the excuses!”

“It’s not an excuse!” Twilight pleaded. “The spell just will. Not. Cast. First It’s saying it can’t find a reference point, when I gave it a target, and now it’s failing saying it can’t intrude into the Void.”

“And that means?”

“Well… From what I know about how the Ruins and the Falls work, it not being able to find a reference point isn’t that strange if we were still in the Ruins, since that’s kind of their defining feature. You need to go through connected worlds in order to get anywhere. Direct-transport is possible in the Falls and elsewhere because everything’s connected, if that makes sense.”

“It doesn’t, get to the point.”

“Oh, well… The thing is, even in a Ruins world, the spell would still partially work. It would be able to detach us from a world, but it wouldn’t be able to send us anywhere else except drop us back on the world we came from, or MAYBE jump to a world that’s directly connected to it. Maybe. I’d need to test it.”

“More point-getting-to, less magi-babble.”

“We’re not in the Falls, OR the Ruins, OR the larger Interior, OR the Void. We’re… somewhere else again.”

“And we can’t escape?”

“More or less.”

“Great.”

They both fell silent, Walleye standing in contemplation while Twilight took the time to reexamine the world she was now in. Random, turbulent airflow ripped at her mane and fur, shifting and inverting with a frequency unseen even in tropical cyclones. Dust whipped around her feet, borne aloft by the wind, yet strangely not rising far above her hooves, creating the illusion that the demarcation between ground and air itself had blurred.

The most unnerving thing, however, was the sounds, or more specifically their absence. Beyond the white noise created by the wind barreling past her, and the unearthly screech that had drawn their fear moments earlier, the world was eerily silent. Twilight’s ears flicked around, trying to localise phantom sounds in the random auditory stream, each false noise only serving to heighten her unease as her brain attempted to pattern-match nothingness.

Cracking stone. Flowing water. Skittering insects. A pleading cry. Each cued Twilight to twitch her ears in what she thought was the source of the noise, it stopped. She hunched down slightly, vertigo beginning to exert itself from the repeated failed localisations.

“Did you hear that?” Walleye asked, suddenly alert.

“Hear what, exactly?” Twilight whispered.

“That sound,” she replied, pulling her rifle up and peering through the scope, scanning. “It sounded like somepony shouting.”

“It’s your brain playing tricks on you, there’s nothing…” Twilight trailed off as she heard a cry, quiet, but distinct. “...there…”

“There!” Walleye shouted, pointing at the floor of a ravine far below them. Two points of color, one pink, the other aqua, were moving rapidly along the ravine floor towards them. They were shouting, though what they were shouting was still indistinct.

“Is that…”

“Lyra and Pinkie. They’re booking it. What in the…”

Walleye was abruptly cut off as a massive cluster of material came loose from the side of a spire at the far end of the ravine, showering rock and debris as it fell sideways and slammed into the ground. Seconds later, the sound of the event caught up to the visual, a horrid, otherworldly metallic screech, the same as what had startled them both not moments before.

As they watched, horrified, the pile of debris began moving, pulling itself under its own power, standing.

The shouts of the two ponies in the ravine became suddenly clear as a single, urgent, terrified word reached them.

RUN!

Author's Note:

And like an elder god rising from the depths...
It awakens