• Published 26th Mar 2014
  • 908 Views, 10 Comments

Clover's Good Fortune - kudzuhaiku



The story of Clover the Clever as she works to discover if earth ponies have magic.

  • ...
3
 10
 908

Chapter 2

From the journal of Clover the Clever

Who is a clever pony? I am, that is who. It has taken me a long while, but I have managed to figure out a way to begin some actual testing. I will elucidate upon those trivialities later, as there are much more important things to write.

Clayberry is growing like a weed. Over the past two years she has gone from being a curious foal to a curious and somewhat educated foal. Smart Cookie even agrees she is quite gifted. She has begun learning letters and numbers, and she enjoys sketching in the dirt. She is everything I could have wanted from a foal. Student.

Keeping her clean is an issue though. What is it about earth ponies and dirt? My floors have suffered a great deal and I must clean out her bedding regularly, as a pony could plant potatoes in there.

I would forgive her anything though.

Clover sat, patiently instructing Clayberry, who seemed more interested in staring at clouds than her lesson.

“Clayberry, dear, pay attention please.” Clover cleared her throat. “Can you tell me the six founders of Equestria, a strength that they had, and a personal failing?”

Clayberry stuck her tongue out, thoughtful, her face crinkling up in concentration. Her mane was back in a long braid, some of her tow coloured locks slipping loose.

“Well…” she said, closing her eyes, “there was Princess Platinum, of the House of Avarice. She was strong willed and determined.” Clayberry paused. “She was also greedy.” Clayberry added.

Clover nodded.

“And there was Puddinghead. Who was kind but a bit daft.” Clayberry said, smiling.

Clover sighed, suppressing a chuckle over the honesty of foals. The breeze stirred, sending dandelion fluff flying through the air. The smell of wood smoke came from the cottage.

“Smart Cookie, who was smart. And he was smart.” Clayberry said thoughtfully.

“Hmm?” Clover asked, seeking clarification.

“Well, being smart is a good thing, but also a bad thing. Sometimes, you can be too smart. And make big messes. You say I am too smart for my own good.” Clayberry said grinning.

Clover could not help herself, she chuckled and did so for quite some time.

“And there was Commander Hot Head…”

“Hurricane.” Clover corrected.

“Yes, Commander Hurricane, who had a hot head, Who was very, very brave.” Clayberry said.

“And?” Clover asked.

Clayberry squirmed. “It isn’t nice to say bad things about he dead.”

“Continue.” Clover commanded, her tone gentle.

“Well, Hurricane was very, very brave, and he battled Nightmare Moon so Celestia could have time to find the elements. And his bravery got him killed.” Clayberry said, looking sad for a moment.

Clover nodded, realising that was going to have to be an acceptable answer.

“And there was Pansy, who was also very brave. She also had a terrible temper. She kicked out one of Discord’s teeth.” Clayberry said, her smile returned.

“You can’t use brave twice.” Clover said.

“Oh…” said Clayberry, sounding disappointed, “well, Pansy was loyal and true.”

Clover nodded. “Anypony else?” Clover said, smiling.

“Can’t think of anypony else.” Clayberry said, teasingly.

“Why you little scamp!” Clover said, using her magic to tickle Clayberry. Clayberry rolled in the dirt, giggling, causing Clover to sigh. “Tell me, or the tickling will never end.”

“There was Clover, who was clever. And her weakness was that she took in an orphan and she tortured it with tickles!” Clayberry shrieked, squirming in the dirt.

In the distance, there was a faint jingling of bells.

“Oh pony flops!” Clayberry swore. “Bells. I gotta go!” Clayberry rose up on her hooves and split, running off, hiding inside the cottage, leaving a trail of dirt streaming out behind her.

“Starswirl.” Clover said, not needing to turn around.

“Bugger these bells. Celestia passed a law requiring me to wear them.” Starswirl groused.

“And we all breathe a little easier knowing that.” Clover said, rolling her eyes.

“Hey!” Starswirl said. “Sod it I hate these bells.”

“My student heard you and ran.” Clover said, slightly annoyed. “I was busy trying to instruct her. And then you came along.”

Starswirl scowled and said nothing.

“I think I have an idea of where to start to begin testing magic.” Clover said.

“Really?” Starswirl replied. “I’m actually rather curious about this.”

Clover nodded. “I am going to start with diseased plants. I am going to have some in a place where Clayberry will come in contact with them, and some others where she will not. And then I will compare them. See if anything changes or is different.”

“That’s fairly clever, Clover.” Starswirl said. “Actually, that is a really good idea.”

“I always feel somewhat shocked when I hear praise coming from you.” Clover said, smiling.

“Most ponies are too stupid to bother with.” Starswirl said. “I took you as my student because you were far less annoying than the others.”

“Thanks.” Said clover, suddenly scowling. Starswirl was a very difficult pony to like.

“So how is Clayberry? How is her progress?” Starswirl asked, raising a big bushy eyebrow that was nearly as long as his ear.

“She is bright. Somewhat attentive. Curious. Playful. And she asks hundreds of questions a day.” Clover said.

“But does she ask the right questions?” Starswirl said with a grumble.

“More and more, yes.” Clover said, looking proud. “She is starting to ask the right questions. Good questions. I’ve been teaching her.”

Starswirl nodded, lowering his eyebrow. “The answers aren’t nearly as important as the question.” Starswirl said. He puffed out his cheeks and exhaled sharply. “I remember the question that you asked Clover, that made me take you as my student.”

Clover began to blush furiously. “What can’t can’t be done with magic?”

“Most students ask what they could do with magic. You didn’t see any limits.” Starswirl said. “You annoyed me far less than others.”

Clover nodded. “I was warned before meeting you that you were a little cranky. So I decided to be clever.”

“I am not cranky!” Starswirl shouted. “I just have a finite amount of patience. Anyhow, I was walking to the apothecary tower. I really must be going.”

Clover nodded, and waved goodbye as the old bearded pony tottered off down the lane, his bells jingling and growing faint in time.

“Is he gone?” A voice whispered behind her.

“Yes Clayberry. The old coot is gone.” Clover said, smirking.

“I don’t like how he looks at me.” Clayberry said, frowning.

“You and so many others.” Clover agreed.

Author's Note:

Have a slice. Of life.