• Published 29th Mar 2012
  • 2,025 Views, 5 Comments

Dark side of the moon - mareinthemoon



What happened during those 1000 years of banishment.

  • ...
3
 5
 2,025

Dark side of the moon

I forget it all
hope and fun
as I stand in the shadow of the sun.

~~~~*~~~~

Celestia stood with a most pained expression upon her regal face, She had done the unthinkable she had banished her only sister to live forever alone on the moon.
She had never intended for it to go so far, Celestia merely had hoped the elements would revert Luna back to normal and in the worst case turn her to stone but never expected it to happen that way.

She could remember it well, The look on her beloved sisters face as she was catapulted to the moon. Celestia had used the elements and they had restored Luna to her true form.


' Tia....' The young mare cried as she ran over to her beloved older sister, the nightmare was gone and she was finally free from its darkness.

Celestia nuzzled her beloved sister with a warm smile, it felt so good to have her Luna back. Then the room filled with color as the elements continued to glow, not yet done with their task. The power proving too much for Celestia alone to control and in a flash of colors Luna was sent hurdling into the sky.
Celestia could only watch in horror as her sister tore through the night sky, the look on the young mares face would forever haunt Celestia.

Luna's face was stricken with grief and despair at this seemingly grand betrayal, Celestia never wanted this to happen but could not stop what had taken place. Her sister was gone and the white alicorn collapsed in tears at the loss of her Luna, knowing there was now a hole in her heart that could never be filled.


Celestia had begun to cry as she recalled the event as she had done over and over again every waking moment sense then.

~~~~*~~~~

Upon the moon there was no glow,
Just a world of ice and snow..

Luna stood in the darkness as she looked down upon the world below, Her hooves numb from the cold that surrounded her body.
All alone in the world around her, Luna's only sanity was in writing her diary. The only connection she had to the rest of the world.

The only problem was in this world the ink she called with magic would crack and freeze upon the quill and so after much trial and error the only liquid she found that could withstand this world was her own blood.
Perhaps it was part of divine punishment that it was this way, The days upon the moon blurred as one with no way to tell the day from night in this eternal darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dearest Diary,

I am finally able to talk with you again. It took allot of time I know but here I am.

Anyways, The darkness up here makes it quite hard to tell the night from day. It makes one wonder if we are truly alive still or

if this is Hell?

When we awoke I decided to explore some more only to find we are truly alone.

I will try and see if my magic can make some trees grow

so we can make this darkness feel like home.

Your Princess,
Luna

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luna had awoken again to this darkness as she had done for what had felt like years now, Her sanity becoming more and more unhinged as time went on. Luna's mane was unkempt with a twitch in her eye, she looked down to her shadow and her lips creaked into a most disturbing smile.

" Hello again... how are you today?" Luna spoke to her shadow as if it were another pony, And then Luna cocked her head speaking in a high pitched tone.
' I am fine dearest princess.'
She made the shadow pony speak, Her mind in disarray.

This pleased Luna that is until as normal the conversation went south. " What do you want to do today Moony? Do you want to race again?" She spoke with a twitch in her eye.
' No, I don't want to and neither do you. You want to go home.'

~~~~*~~~~

Celestia was pouring over her library, trying to find any way to return her sister home. It had been 50 years sense that faithful day, she still held onto the hope that one day she would be able to return her beloved Luna to her side.

In all of her searching she found no glimmer of hope among her books of magic, The princess sighed in defeat. "Is there truly no way for my Luna to return home?" She said aloud to nopony in particular and then a stroke of genius crossed her brain, Who better to have a way out than that glorious Night mare herself?!

Celestia ran to Luna's room as fast as she could and began to pour over every chart and book she could get her hooves on that pertained to the moon. After several hours she reached her conclusion, writing upon a scroll using her magic as she read.
"Every 1000 years the stars align and with a powerful enough magical energy, One will be relocated back and forth to the moon or the sun depending on time." She sighed in relief as she wrote, thank heavens she didn't have this mishap whilst the sun was up or else she would have had her darling sister burned alive by mistake.

So that was it, she had to wait another 950 years before her sister could return home. Her heart ached in pain as she prayed her sister would return with her usual smile, unaware of the madness that had been eating away at her sweet Luna's soul.

~~~~*~~~~

Why am I even bothering with this anymore? It's not like pretending will help me any..

The voices are getting louder and louder each day, Telling me to do things.

Sometimes they say things to encourage me but most times they tell me to give up on myself.

It's so very very cold here, I can barley feel anything anymore.

Moony is angry with us,

She does not like it when we talk about Tia....

Moony says Tia is gone now...

I don't want that to be true.

For once I am afraid of the night, She is coming for me...

Your princess,
Luna

~~~~*~~~~

The years all blended into one endless nightmare for the lost princess, Whilst her sister ruled Equestria and nopony noticed her absence.

' You don't exist to them anymore, They carry on without you happily.'

Luna turned to her shadow with a scowl on her face. " Be quiet Moony! I am sure they miss me...I..."

' They never knew you to begin with, You were just Celestias little sister from the start...'

The truth was hard to hear but for once through all these years, Luna had fully accepted it. " I miss her but she...doesn't
even try to send a sign that she cared at all...And they don't care either..do they Moony?"

' They never did Luna, She sent you here on purpose...she never loved you.'

Luna began to break down and cry as her shadow surrounded her body, giving the illusion that Moony was embracing her gently which eased her fractured mind. " Oh Moony, whatever shall we do here? I do not want to do this anymore..I should not have to.."

'Hush now, Quiet now dearest Luna, I will never forsake you...I will never go away. You are never alone... We will go home one day... I promise...'

~~~~*~~~~

Celestia sat alone in her room with a small cake in the dark under the glow of the moon. " Happy birthday...to you.." She began to sob as she lit the candles slowly as she had done every year sense Luna had gone away.

" Happy birthday....to you.." She wiped her eyes and took out a small wrapped box as she fought back the tears that threatened to fall again. " Happy birthday.. Dear Luna... Happy birthday to you.." She bit back the tears as she looked up to the moon.

" We made it through 500 years, soon we will be together again Luna, I promise..."

~~~~*~~~~

I want to die

This is Hell....

Happy birthday to me.....

Happy birthday indeed...

I used to wish sister would rescue me but now I know that was all a foals dream, I will die here all alone.


The forgotten one,
Luna

~~~~*~~~~

Luna wondered about the moons surface, Looking for a cliff to jump from to end it all. She could not handle it anymore, To her this was a deeper Hell reserved for the truly wicked ponies. A tear fell from her eyes at the thought, She was receiving a far worse punishment than Discord. Discord was at least a statue in the royal gardens and not trapped in this cold place.

' Stop this Luna... You don't need to die..I promised to get us home but not like this..'

" But Moony, There is no point in living like this!! It is getting colder and colder as time goes on and I feel its become darker as well! I cant do this anymore Moony.." She cried looking to her shadow. There was no rational reason to carry on living this way, No reason to suffer like this anymore.

And so....

Luna jumped.

~~~~*~~~~

Celestia bolted upright in a cold sweat from her nightmare, It had been so horrifying. In her dream she saw Luna crying all alone in the dark. The dream Celestia approached Luna, trying to console her beloved sister. ' Do not cry Luna, Tia is here for you...Tia is here..' To her horror the dream Luna turned cold and silent in her embrace, the limp blue mare now dead soon turning to bones and ash before her. ' LUNA!!' Celestia called out In the dark that surrounded her dream.

' You let this happen to me, You let me die... You never loved me.'


Those final words echoed in her head on repeat like a demonic curse. She cried in her bed as she longed to see her sweet Luna alive and well by her side as she had always been all their lives.

~~~~*~~~~

The snow....
Keeps...

Falling.

Luna was lying still in the bottom of the crater, Her hind legs broken as the falling snow drifted down upon her body. Tears welled up in the young mares eyes as her blood slowly crept from her wounds, She felt that this was the end. " I'm afraid Moony, I don't want to die alone...."
' Luna...don't be afraid.. I'll be here for you.'

"I love you Moony....."

'I love you too Luna....I love you too..'

Luna's eyes slowly closed as the sweet embrace of darkness began to fill her vision. The nightmare was finally over and she could rest in peace.

~~~~*~~~~

Celestia was anxiously staring at the moon, It had been 1000 years and tonight she would see her sister. It had been so very long now, she wanted to do so much with Luna when she came home. All of those wasted years gone and so much to catch up on, She would throw a festival in her beloved Luna's honor.

She had been setting up welcome home decorations all week in anticipation for her sisters return back home and even if nopony had noticed the change Celestia had been dying of loneliness the entire time.



'Luna....It's time to get up....'

"But Moony I...I cant see....It's so dark..."

'Don't worry, I'll light the way for us....'

And so Luna and her shadow walked side by side into the light , Their lives would never be the same again.

'We're home Luna, We're finally home.'

~~~~The rest they say, is history.~~~

~~ Forever with you~~

Comments ( 4 )

I wrote this story because I figured Luna must have been lonely all alone and Celestia must have not known she would be sending her sister into exile by using the elements. I wanted to represent Celestia in a different light than I did during requiem, as a good sister.

sounds interesting. also peaks my interest to see how the princess reacts with a different persona than what you would expect. tracking :twilightsmile:

If you like nice Celestia for the love of god do not read my other story Requiem. It is rated mature for a reason and Celestia does some pretty terrible things. Its really messed up if your a hardcore Celestia as a goody goody fan.

I wanted to cause nightmares:pinkiecrazy:

If you are ok with seriously twisted Celestia on a cupcakes level...then by all means enjoy <3

I like regretful Celestia, so this goes right up my alley. Regretful Celestia, depressed/psychotic Luna: you got 2 of 2 for this part of Equestrian history. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment