• Published 26th Mar 2014
  • 2,691 Views, 96 Comments

Grabby - Wise Cracker



Spike is stealing again. This calls for drastic measures, of a medicinal kind.

  • ...
7
 96
 2,691

Productive

Spike saluted Ponyville’s wildlife manager. “Cutie Mark Crusader Bunny Counters reporting for duty.”

Fluttershy smiled at the dragon and his filly entourage. “I didn’t know you were a Crusader, Spike.”

Apple Bloom got out some paper and pencils out of her saddlebags and laid them on the ground. “He’s not, but Applejack said that if we were gonna be around wild animals, we had to get somepony responsible, and Spike’s the only one who volunteered.”

Spike took a paper and pencil and shrugged. “The library’s clean, so I’ve got nothing better to do anyway.”

Fluttershy nodded. “Well, that’s very kind of you, Spike. Now, girls, bunnies are very skittish animals, so try not to make any loud noises, please. No shouting, no screaming, no singing.”

“That means you, Sweetie Belle.” Scootaloo glared at the unicorn.

Sweetie Belle frowned. “Actually, I think that means you, Scootaloo. I’m not the one who can clear a room.”

Spike pressed his claw to his forehead. “For the last time: you’re not gonna get a cutie mark in arguing!”

Apple Bloom snickered.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Anyway, where’s the bunnies?”

“Right this way.” Fluttershy flew up slightly and led the way, the children in tow. Once they got to the hills where the bunnies were, she explained their course of action. “First we need to round them all up, so just gently get them out of their holes and have them make a neat circle.”

“On it, Fluttershy!” As one, the Cutie Mark Crusaders dispersed and bolted off towards the rabbit holes, sticking their heads in and calling out for the bunnies to come out.

“Rise and shine! It’s countin’ time!”

“Come on out, rabbits! We haven’t got all day!”

“Oh, bunnies? Cute, fluffy bunnies? Time for your census appointment.”

Fluttershy winced. “Um, girls? Oh, oh my.”

Spike held up a claw. “Allow me.”

He strode over to the centre of the clearing and dug a heel into the ground to draw a neat circle. Then he marched over to one of the holes, pulled out a rabbit by its neck fur and put on his poshest voice. “I say, dear fellow, would you be so kind as to ask your neighbours to come out? Dreadfully sorry about the noise, but we simply must count you and give you a check-up. Shan’t take too long, so be a good chum, would you?”

To Fluttershy’s surprise, the rabbit nodded and dove down, after which all the burrows emptied and the bunnies took their place in the circle. The Cutie Mark Crusaders got their heads out of the dirt and walked up to the group, surprised.

Fluttershy raised an eyebrow at Spike. “I didn’t know you speak Rabbit.”

The dragon shrugged. “Eh, no biggie; I only speak White Rabbit. What’s next on the list?”

Fluttershy approached the bunnies carefully, so as not to disturb them any more than they already were. “Now we need to split them up and count them: bunnies in one group, hares in the other, and then we need to write down how many of them are hairy, fluffy, or wooly.”

Apple Bloom rubbed her chin, before plucking a brown rabbit from the group, her hooves under its shoulders. “I got a fluffy bunny!”

Fluttershy shook her head. “No, that’s a hairy bunny.”

Sweetie Belle, not wanting to be outdone, grabbed one of her own. “I’ve got a hairy rabbit!”

Again, Fluttershy shook her head. “Um, no, that’s a wooly hare. Maybe if you just-”

Sweetie Belle took a long, hard look at the animals, then glanced at hers. They all looked pretty much the same from her vantage point. “Wait, if that’s a wooly hare, what does a hairy hare look like, then?”

Scootaloo shrugged. “I guess a hairy hare’s like a normal hare, but with more hair than a fluffy hare and shorter hair than a wooly hare. We could just shave them and say they’re hairless hares. That’d make it a lot easier.”

Apple Bloom pondered that. “Hmm… we’ve already tried gettin’ a pet care cutie mark, haven’t we?”

Scootaloo grabbed a random creature covered in wool from amid the giant mass of hairs and hares and held it up proudly. “This one’s definitely wooly!”

Apple Bloom shot Scootaloo a questioning glance. “That’s a lamb.”

As if on cue, a sheep came up and plucked the little lamb from Scootaloo’s hooves, muttering some inanity involving ponies and poultry. Scootaloo didn’t seem to notice; she was too focused on Apple Bloom, who was doing her best not to break out in laughter. Scootaloo didn’t see the humour of it. “Well, it’s not my fault I wasn’t born in a barn.”

Apple Bloom stomped the ground. “I was not born in a barn! My mom got caught in a thunderstorm on her way to the hospital, so she gave birth in a shed.”

Sweetie Belle thought that over for a moment. “Huh. Now that you mention it, where is your mom, anyway?”

“You never heard that story? It’s really good. Why, my mom’s-”

“Would you please just concentrate on the job already? We’re gonna be here all day if this keeps up.” Spike would have been pulling out his hair, if Twilight hadn’t had her silly rules regarding ‘magic abuse’ and ‘concerns for the Equestrian wig industry.’

Fluttershy breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Spike. Girls, I think it would be best if you just brought every bunny and hare along, gently, and let me and Spike mark them down.”

Apple Bloom pouted. “But then we’re not countin’ anything. What if we miss out on our talent?”

Fluttershy rolled her eyes. “I’m sure that if your talent has anything to do with bunnies or counting, you’ll get your cutie mark once this is done. Just make sure you do it calmly, please?”

The girls sighed and got to work.


“So still no cutie marks, then?” Rarity took another thread from Spike’s claw, before carefully sewing it into the dress.

Spike nodded. “Still no cutie marks. Tomorrow they’re trying beekeeping.”

“Beekeeping?” Rarity jumped up, nearly sending her needle into the posing pony. She turned her eyes away from her work and looked at the dragon. “Spike, darling, would you be so kind as to accompany my little sister for that? I shudder to think what might happen if she doesn’t take precautions, and knowing Sweetie Belle that’s a fairly reasonable presumption. Can I count on your skills to keep her and her friends safe? I’d feel a lot better knowing there’s someone with a fire breath around for safety.”

Spike saluted her. “Anything for you, Rarity.”

“Ow!”

Rarity snapped her head back to her model and put the needle in its proper place. “So sorry, Diamond Tiara, I got distracted. Do let me know when it’s uncomfortable, would you?”

Diamond just smiled, if slightly nervously. “It’s okay, Miss Rarity, I don’t mind. The dress is looking really nice already.”

Spike didn’t share the sentiment. As far as he was concerned, Diamond Tiara’s new dress was pink. That’s pretty much all he could think of saying about it: pink. It didn’t look cute, beautiful, or cool, just pink.

Diamond Tiara, meanwhile, seemed to enjoy the work that was being put in the thing. Apparently she needed a fancy dress for a ball her dad was invited to, Spike didn’t catch the details. Rarity had just needed someone to run from closet to unicorn carrying needles and threads of various colours and thickness, so she didn’t have to break her focus while she worked. With the bunny census done, Spike had been more than happy to oblige. Diamond Tiara, for her part, stood patiently as the custom job neared its finish. She had a smile on her face that looked uncharacteristically genuine, but then statistically the filly was bound to get one of those eventually.

One final dragon run to get the purple silk thread, one last addition to the seams, and the fit was complete. Rarity smiled at the girl. “There, all done. Thank you so much, Spike. I’d have been running around all day looking for my threads if it hadn’t been for you.”

Spike walked off and waved dismissively. “Don’t mention it. I’m used to running around looking for stuff in the library. See you later!”

Rarity circled around the girl, not even looking at Spike. “Oh, by the way, Spike? I set out those sapphires for you by the… door…” She looked at the entrance to her atelier, where a bucket of blue gems stood. The gems were untouched, Rarity guessed they were unnoticed, even. “Oh. That’s strange. Spike never leaves an opportunity to eat gems.”

“He’s probably just not hungry,” Diamond Tiara offered.

“Perhaps. I don’t suppose you know if he’s still embarrassed about what happened at the market?”

Diamond winced. “You heard about that, huh?”

“Everypony heard about that, dear. I gather he was upset?”

Diamond Tiara nodded sympathetically. “Really upset. Like, shouting at ponies. And he was right: they said some nasty stuff about him, right to his face.”

Rarity took the dress in her magic and gently took it off the filly, taking care not to dislodge the tiara. “Yes, ponies do that sometimes. It doesn’t mean anything, though, not really. Only hollow words without substance or purpose, that’s all there is to it. I’m sure it’ll all be forgiven and forgotten once things calm down; that’s how it always goes. Now then, I shan’t keep you any longer, Miss Tiara. You have been very patient and I’m sure your father will appreciate the result, I can take it from here. I’ll just stitch in the diamond pattern you requested on the sides, and you can come pick it up this evening.”

Diamond hopped off the platform, smiling. “Okay. Thanks again, Miss Rarity! Goodbye!””

Rarity smiled as the girl galloped out. “Goodbye, Diamond Tiara. And give my regards to Silver Spoon!”

“I will!”

Rarity heard the front door open and close. She walked over to her table and fetched some silver diamond patches to sew in. She found herself pondering.

Didn’t think I’d see that anytime time soon; Diamond Tiara really can act nice. I suppose she’d have to, to get ponies to do her bidding. How did she get away with everything for so long, though? She can’t be that good at playing nice.

Oh dear. She wouldn’t get it into her head to try and manipulate Spike, would she? Technically, I suppose she already did once, by proxy, when the girls ran that tabloid.

She stopped her work to gather her thoughts.

Somepony’s going to need to talk to Cheerilee about that girl soon. Oh, what are you thinking, Rarity? No good can come of meddling in other ponies’ affairs. If Diamond Tiara wants to act nice, the best you can do is encourage it. She might actually decide she likes it.


Spike walked into the library with a groan. He marched up the stairs to find Twilight, as per her usual routine, reading books.

“How did it go?”

Spike walked past her, marched up the second set of stairs, and crawled into bed. “The bunny counting got off to a bad start, but I sorted it out. I helped Rarity finish that new dress for Diamond Tiara, and now I’ve got nothing to do.”

Twilight looked up to the nook of the library they used as a bedroom. “And no stealing impulse? No sudden food cravings?”

Spike shrugged. “Nope.”

Twilight flew up to land next to the dragon’s bed. She looked down at him, checking for any tell-tale signs of an impending growth spurt. “Didn’t Rarity say she had some sapphires for you?”

“She did? I didn’t really notice.”

Twilight prodded his prone form. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Spike wrapped his head in his blanket. “Just tired, that’s all. I need to sleep.”

“But it’s not even noon, and you’re not due for one of your long naps, not by a long shot. Was work really that tiring?”

“Not really, no.”

Twilight pulled the covers off of him. “Then why would you want to go to sleep so early in the morning? You don’t even take afternoon naps.”

Spike groaned. “I’m just bored, okay? I’ve got nothing to do, that’s all.” He felt himself get lifted up from his warm bed and carried down several sets of stairs. Spike wriggled and squirmed in the magical grasp. “Hey! Let me go!”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Spike, if you’re bored, you should find something to do. There’s lots of fun things to do in Ponyville.”

“Like what?”

“I wouldn’t know; I’m too busy reading. But you are not. And since I can take a bigger workload with my magic now, that means you have a lot more free time to spend constructively.”

Spike groaned as he was set on the ground. “So what do you want me to do?”

Twilight opened the front door. “Go out and have fun.”

“But I don’t feel like it!”

“Then I’m issuing a royal decree: I don’t want to see you grumbling in the library when you could be outside doing something you like. Find something new to do, ask the foals from around the neighbourhood to play.”

Spike folded his arms in front of his chest. “I am not a little kid, Twilight; I’ve got a degree. I’m just as much a grownup as you are. Well… sorta.”

Twilight smiled. “Then find something grown up to do. If you want to act adult, act adult. If you want to do what normal kids do, go do that. But do something, Spike. This is just the pills talking, and you know it. You’re better than that. Don’t just sit around here whining about stuff you don’t feel like doing, go out and do what you do want. That’s an order.”

Spike glared at Twilight. “You can’t use royal privileges on me, Twilight, it’s not fair.”

“I’m sorry, but you’ve forced my hand.”

The dragon’s glare intensified. “You don’t have any hands.”

“That all depends on where you draw the line for homologous organs, but that’s besides the point. The point is that it’s a bright day, you’re a fit young dragon with plenty of skills, and sleeping is not something you should be doing this early if you’re not tired. You have your own bits with you, you have plenty of options, so go find one. Maybe you can get a new hobby. Unless that new hobby is reading, in which case you’re more than welcome to come back in and join me.”

Spike turned and threw his hands up. “Fine! I’m going, I’m going! I’ll get lunch on my own and be back home for dinner.”

Works every time. “That’s more like it. See you tonight, Spike!”

Spike sighed as he heard the door close behind him.

Dumb Twilight. What does she know? I can’t do anything in Ponyville, none of it is any good. I can’t go bowling or roller blading, I’d burn down the dojo, and I can’t spend all day at the gym, either.

“Hey, Spike?”

Spike turned around and suppressed another sigh building up. “What do you want, Diamond Tiara?”

Diamond winced. “Um, nothing, really. I just heard you talking to Twilight Sparkle and I thought-”

Spike frowned. “You were eavesdropping on us? I guess that’s better than getting somepony else to do it, at least.”

The filly winced again. “Right, I kinda deserved that after last time. But hey, um, I overheard what you said and, like, maybe if you don’t feel like doing anything in Ponyville, you could try going outside of Ponyville?”

“Like where?”

“Well, cherry picking season’s started in Dodge Junction, and they’re always looking for more pickers there. Cherry Jubilee owns the orchard there, and she, like, knows me. I mean, she knows my daddy, but she knows me too. I’m sure she’d give you something to do if you said I sent you.”

“Uhuh. And then you’d get more money from your daddy, huh?”

“Umm…” Diamond Tiara shyly kicked the ground.

Spike shook his head. “Okay, it’s better than nothing. I’m gonna go catch a train.”


Twilight put her books away and yawned. She looked at the clock right behind and counted down.

“Let’s see… dinner’s in three, two, one...”

The front door opened and closed, right on cue. “I’m home.”

Twilight smiled as Spike came in. “You’re just in time, Spike, I was about to get started on dinner. You want to tuck into your gems tonight?”

Spike scratched his head, confused. “Gems? What gems? I don’t have any gems.”

Twilight pointed a hoof past him. Spike turned and saw a pile of rubies, sapphires, and emeralds glistening in the evening light. “Where did those come from?”

Twilight quirked an eyebrow. “Rarity brought over some sapphires after you left, Missus Cake said she owed you some rubies, and Fluttershy got you some emeralds for helping out the way you did. I thought you’d like them in a neat little pile, like you always leave them. Oh, and Rarity said something about citrine quartz and bees?”

Spike shrugged. “Oh.” He walked up to the pile and deposited some gold bits on it, then turned and walked away, completely ignoring the whole thing.

Twilight looked at him intently. “Are you sure you’re okay? Where did you go?”

“I ran into Diamond Tiara after I left, and she said that maybe I could go help with the cherry picking in Dodge Junction. I know she was just roping me into doing her dirty work, but it didn’t really matter, so I went along with it.”

“Spike, that’s not a nice thing to say. Maybe she thought you were bored and she wanted to help.”

“Seriously, Twilight? You think Diamond Tiara would wanna help me?” He rolled his eyes. “What’s for dinner?”

“Umm, I’m having daisy sandwiches, I guess you could too, if you don’t feel like eating gems. You’re sure you don’t want any?”

Spike shook his head. “Nah. I don’t really feel like it.”

“And what are you planning to do with the bits you earned?”

Spike shrugged. “Nothing special. I’ll think of something.”

Twilight thought of pressing the issue, but decided against it. “Okay, then. I guess it’s normal if you don’t know what to do exactly.” She followed him to the kitchen. “I am sorry for throwing you out like that, though, that was out of line. I just wanted to be sure you weren’t getting any bad habits going. I mean, even if you’re not really a child, I’m still supposed to take care of you, you know.”

Spike got out the plates and cutlery and carefully set the table. His face looked different, though; more slack. His mouth looked smaller, somehow, and his eyes didn’t shine like they usually did. It took Twilight some time to figure out what had changed, but eventually she found it.

He’s not smiling. His face isn’t showing any emotion at all, even. “Are you sure you’re okay? The medication isn’t getting you down?”

Spike groaned. “I feel fine, honest. But now that you mention it, I do need to take my pills.” He ran off up the stairs to fetch his medicine.

Twilight concentrated and used her magic to bring up a few slices of bread and put the daisies in between.

She sighed.

Stop worrying, Twilight. Spike just needs to get used to things, that’s all. He’s fine. He’s a big boy. He doesn’t need you to meddle any more than you have. If anything is wrong with him, you just have to watch for it and he’ll let you know. Just keep an eye on him, that’s all you need to do. Let him work it out on his own, like he always does, and don’t step in until you need to.

“Got’em.” Spike ran back in, box of pills in hand. “Twilight? Is something wrong?”

“No, Spike, everything is certainly fine. You want to just get some sandwiches or should I put some focaccia buns in the oven?”

Whatever worries Twilight’s mind had latched onto evaporated when she heard Spike’s reply. Or rather, the sound of Spike’s stomach growling, with a hint of a snarl, told her he was still healthy.

“I’m definitely gonna want a big dinner. I’m a lot hungrier than I thought.”

Author's Note:

Nothing wrong here, is there? Diamond Tiara being her usual self, if a little more subtle, and Spike going out and making himself useful, after a little bit of prodding. And hey, he's still hungry when he needs to be, so he must be healthy, right?

Right.

This is most certainly not going to escalate.

At all.

I'm not fooling anyone, am I?