• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 3,144 Views, 93 Comments

Special Delivery - ILurvTrixie



Derpy and Celestia are both very prominant figures in Equestria, but somehow manage to fade into the background. Surely that's where the similarities end. (Random Romance Mar2014)

  • ...
2
 93
 3,144

The Plan

"Oh yeah! Uh huh! Go Scoots! Go Scoots!" Scootaloo continued to strut her way across the playground with a huge smile, to the amusement of the other crusaders. Dinky had joined them again for the purposes of brainstorming, but the little pegasus was more concerned about her own success on the test than silly things like how everyone else was giggling at her dance moves.

"So I take it you did well?" Sweetie smiled through the annoyed look she earned.

"Of course! I am a genius! And the brain food helped. A little." Scoots couldn't help her wings fluttering excitedly. "So what are you two doing?"

Applebloom and Dinky looked up from a sheet of paper. "We're tryin' to make a list of princesses."

"That's a short list." Sweetie Belle pondered. "Only four, right?"

Dinky nodded. "And I don't think Cadence would want to marry my mom. I mean, she went through a lot of trouble to marry Shining Armor, so I doubt she wants to do that again." She scratched out the name.

"So Twilight... Um." Scootaloo scrunched her nose up. "Do I even need to say why that wouldn't be a good idea?"

"Well, you'd never have to worry about failing a test." Sweetie gave an unsure smile.

"Yeah, 'cause she'd be makin' you study all the time!" Applebloom joined the other Crusaders in a shudder. Dinky scratched out the name.

"Luna and Celestia." Dinky stared at the names.

Sweetie rubbed her chin with a hoof. "Hm. Well.. Luna's cool, right?"

Scootaloo nodded. "She's cool."

"She's still a bit.. umm... creepy? I mean, Nightmare Night..." Dinky frowned a bit.

"Hey, give her some credit, she's been out of touch for a thousand years. And if you've got nightmares, she can totally help with that." Scootaloo smiled.

The other three fillies favored her with curious expressions. "And how would you know about that, Scoots?" Applebloom launched the attack that put the little pegasus' eyes to nervous darting.

"Uh. No reason. So, Celestia. What about the Princess of the Sun?"

"Well, everypony loves her. And she always seems to be as busy as my mom. Maybe if they got together they could both have more time?" Dinky carefully thought it through.

"But if everypony loves her, how are you gonna get her to be special someponies with your mom?" Sweetie Belle once again supplied some much needed, though unwanted, logic.

"Hm." Dinky thrust her hoof in the air excitedly. "I bet the only reason they don't already have special someponies is because they're too busy! Otherwise they could totally have any of the best special someponies ever! They're perfect for each other!"

The Crusaders considered.

"Yeah, your mom is pretty cool. And Celestia is pretty cool too."

"Ah'm not sure that means they'd be the best special someponies, though."

"Yeah, that's like saying Rainbow Dash and my sister would be great special someponies, since they're both awesome."

Scootaloo favored Sweetie with a look that proclaimed she was mad for even suggesting that. "Rainbow Dash is like five times more awesome than Rarity."

"So I guess the problem is how to get them to figure out they'd be awesome special someponies." Dinky tapped her pencil on the paper.

"Rarity and Rainbow Dash?" Scootaloo blinked.

"No, my mom and Celestia!"

"Oh." Scootaloo shrugged. "Why not just see if you can get them to hang out?"

"Or get 'em on a date or somethin'. Applejack's always complainin' she ain't got time for dates."

"So they both need to have some time.."

"Ooo, oo! Rarity's books always talk about romantic dinners!"

"That's a great idea! My mom doesn't always work until late, so maybe if she and Celestia have dinner together, that'll work out!"

The Crusaders grinned in infectious joy, chorusing a loud "Yeah!"


Derpy sighed as she slumped her way through the door to her house. Four hours of straight mail delivery. Sixteen special deliveries. Eighteen weather patch ups. Two wrecked furniture deliveries that she'd have to handle tomorrow. Seven requests for diplomatic deliveries to the outer edges of Equestria, only three of which were actually legitimate. A dozen muffins sold. Eight dozen requests for muffins. One application to the Trotskan border control offices for part time work. And Mr. Woodwork was not in a good mood, although he would stop by tomorrow to assess the damage to the bed.

A small filly wrapped herself around her mother's front with a smile. "Welcome home momma!"

Derpy smiled, wrapping her wings and forelegs around Dinky. It was worth it in the end.

"Sparkler stopped by and made apple and cheese sandwiches, and some tomato soup! And I got my homework done too!"

"That's great Dinky! And did you have fun with your friends today?" The pair separated, heading for the dinner table. Dinky had already eaten, but she always liked spending time with her mom.

"Uh huh! Hey momma, when's the next time you get off work early?"

"Hm?" Derpy looked up from spooning her food into a small plate and bowl. "Well, day after tomorrow I guess! I'm gonna have to take a break in the middle of the day tomorrow for Mr. Woodwork, which means I'll have to stay late."

"Awww..." Dinky's expression deflated visibly.

"But I'll get off work a bit earlier the day after that. So that's the trade off."

Dinky perked up again, and nodded. "Hey momma?"

"Hm?" Derpy looked up from her soup, licking her lips.

"Can I help you make muffins tomorrow?"

"Sure Dinky! I'd be happy to have another set of hooves."

"Hey momma?"

"Yeah?"

Dinky smiled, and walked around the table, hugging up to her mom's side. "I love you."

"And I love you, my little muffin." Derpy smiled gently, wrapping a wing around the filly.


After the lights in the house had gone out and goodnights had been exchanged, a small flashlight flicked on beneath the covers of Dinky's bed, soon joined by the unicorn filly. She had a sheet of paper, a box of crayons, and a pencil. Now all she needed was a plan. She carefully chewed on the eraser of her pencil before making a face. Whoever did that in movies must have some kind of fake pencil. Bleh!

Getting Princess Celestia and Mom Together

Well, that was a straightforward beginning.

Step 1: Meeting the Princess

That was easy. Mom had to deliver letters to the castle all the time. It might take some bits, but Dinky could afford a special delivery. Probably.

Step 2: Romantick Dinner

Best dinner ever with dinner muffins. One for mom and one for the princess.

Step 3: MarrSpesial Someponies

Right, they're supposed to be special someponies, then get married.

Step 4: Marriage

Dinky grinned hugely at the plan. It was so obvious when everything was laid out like that.


Dinky carefully placed the steaming muffin pan up on the stove, and took off the panholder gloves from her hooves. "Mmm, they look delicious momma!"

"Of course they're delicious! They're made with love, and care, and delicious things!" Derpy giggled happily. "So why did you make those extra muffins with the little raspberry jelly hearts in them? Got your eye on some colt or filly?"

Dinky blushed, but didn't comment, earning a gentle mane tousling from her mother. "You'd better get ready for school, Muffin, you've got flour on your nose."

"Yes momma!" Dinky headed upstairs with a smile. The dinner muffins were ready!


Applebloom carefully blew the sawdust off the craft table. Dinky was already standing ready with glue and glitter, but craftsponyship took time. The youngest Apple took a piece of sandpaper and smoothed out the grooves for holding the two muffins, and the small slot for holding a letter in front of the food. Dinky looked about ready to explode from excitement. "Come ooooon."

"It ain't exactly perfect, Dinky, not got some kinda holster for keeping the muffins in place while your mom's flyin' it around."

"I just need a box, Applebloom! But I'm really glad you made it a bit fancier. This is a box made for a princess!"

"Aww shucks, t'weren't nothin'." Applebloom smiled proudly. "Besides, you're payin' me a muffin for the box, and Sweetie a muffin for the fabric scraps, and... why'd you give Scoots a muffin again?"

"Seemed kinda mean to just leave her out." Dinky shrugged. Applebloom hoofed over the finished box, and Dinky went to work with glue and glitter. With the fabric padding, the muffins would survive transit to the princess for sure! Now, to make a truly romantic letter!

Everything was going according to plan! Tomorrow before school, everything would be in place!