• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 2,362 Views, 43 Comments

Guardians of Equestria - Brothers of Destiny - BlueSun52



Peace once again is restored to Equestria, but now a new threat lingers in the shadows and it is up to the Guardian to protect the land once more with a new ally on his side.

  • ...
18
 43
 2,362

Rings and Blessings

Guardians of Equestria - Brothers of Destiny
Chapter 8
Rings and Blessings

"So let me get this straight," Sparrow said to Hawke as he was packing his clothes and some supplies to take with him on his supposed trip with Zecora in the Everfree Forest. "You're going with Zecora into the Everfree Forest to get some kind flower that Colgate needed and that she needed you to come along?"

"Yeah, pretty much," Hawke replied as he was setting the last of his clothes in the suitcase.

"So why did she ask you to come along?"

"Because she needed some protection and an expert with plants," Hawke explained.

"What? That doesn't make any sense," Sparrow said. "You said that she lived in the forest for a long time and that she knows how to fend off the animals there. Also didn't you say she was a herbalist? And if anyone could help her out more, it would be Twilight."

".......I'll give you five bits if you don't say that to anyone else and stop asking questions."

"Make it ten."

"Deal!"

Hawke and Sparrow shook hands in agreement. Hawke grabbed his suitcase and was walking out towards the door.

"Oh, I should mention this," Hawke said. "You'll be having the whole house while I'm gone. Twilight will be coming by every now and again to check on you. Take care of the house and I'll be back in about two days."

"Got it. Good luck on your trip," Sparrow replied.

Hawke nodded and walked out the front door leaving Sparrow alone in the house.

"Yes! Got the whole house to myself!" Sparrow shouted with joy. "Now I can......Like I always......Wait? I don't even do that much here!" He looked around the house for a moment and stared at the front door for a long period of time. He shrugged. "I think I'll just hang out with the guys."


It was near noon at the Crystal Empire and the train from Ponyville arrived at the train station outside of the city's border. At the station, Princess Cadence who was accompanied by two crystal guards watched as the passengers started leaving the train and was looking for one particular individual. She was greeted by waves and bows from the passengers as they were leaving the train and she did the best she could to welcome them to her kingdom.

After a couple of minutes, she was able to spot the pony she was looking for or person as he would say it. But she was puzzled to see that the person in question was wearing a poorly thought out disguise. Coming out of the train was Hawke who was still wearing his outfit but the only difference now was he was wearing a tan packer hat with a sunglasses over his eyes while sporting on a mustache that covered most of his mouth. She mentally slapped herself.

Hawke removed all of his disguises and threw them in a nearby trash can. He took a few steps towards and bowed. "My lady, Cadence. It's so good to see you again."

"Please Hawke, you don't have to bow to me. We're practically family," Cadence said. "Especially since with your big plans with Twilight."

"You got a point there and thanks again for helping me with making a ring for her," Hawke said.

"You're welcome. I have no doubt that Twilight would love it and the idea behind it," Cadence said. She then raised a brow. "Why were you wearing all those disguises?"

"Pinkie."

"What? Did she find out somehow?"

"No but she was close though," Hawke replied. "Her Pinkie senses must have let her know that I was keeping this a secret and she really loves to know what they are."

"Why didn't you tell her at least and make her do a Pinkie promise?"

"I would but there was one problem with that."

"What?"

"It's her reaction." Hawke then imagined at what would happen if he told Pinkie.

In the mind of Hawke, he imagine the entire town of Ponyville and it was all peaceful and still until-

"WHAT!?! YOU'RE GOING TO MARRY TWILIGHT!?!?!" Pinkie shouted in the town with everypony hearing it.

Cadence let out a giggle. "That does sound like what Pinkie would do," she said. "So when do you plan to propose to her? Surely you wouldn't go through all this trouble if you didn't have some kind of plan for this."

"Yes, I thought this all the way though and decided to pop the question at the end of the Equestrian Games," Hawke replied. "In front of everypony that's there."

"Wow. That's one way to propose to your special somepony," Cadence said.

"I want to make this something that she would never forget," Hawke said.

"I'm sure she would love it," Cadence said. "Does Shinning know anything about this yet? Or their parents?"

"No, not yet. But I was planning on talking to Shinning about it and take the train to Cantrelot to ask Velvet and Night for their blessings," Hawke explained.

"But Canterlot is more than a day's trip, which would give you only a few hours here," Cadence pointed out. "And it'll take sometime to make a ring-"

"Look like I said, I planned this through," Hawke interrupted. "This is the only small window of chance I got and I have to make every second count. With the games coming up within a couple of weeks, I'll more than likely have to help Twilight with all the political meetings, which I hate to go to, try out some new outfits that Rarity wants me to wear to present myself at the games and I just decided to train my brother how to use his magical armor that Discord gave him. There are other things I'm probably missing, but I can handle it when the time comes, so I'm going to be completely swamped."

Cadence just stared at Hawke for a moment. "So......What do you want me to do again?"

Hawke let sigh. "I just need you to help me pick out the perfect ring and let you hold on to it until the Equestria Games. So I don't have to worry about Twilight finding it on accident. Or worse, if Pinkie finds it," he explained. "God knows what would happen if she found the ring."

"I'm sure nothing bad would come of it, but I will hold on to it for you and will make sure that you would give it to her at the games," Cadence said. "Now follow me. We need to hurry if you want to make the trip to Canterlot in time so no pony would suspect anything from you. By the way, how is the staff I gave you?"

"It's doing good, I left it back in Ponyville at my place," Hawke replied. "Tell you the truth, Cadence, I don't know what I could use the staff for. I mean, I could use it to to block but I could bring up a bubble shield for that and I don't see much point to use my magic with it."

"Well, I never did get the chance to explain how we use staffs here," Cadence admitted. "Staffs can be use to help concentrate our magic into the staffs to make it more accurate when release and we can store our magic into it in case we run out of our magic too quickly."

"Huh, I guess that explains why mages use staffs a lot," Hawke said.

"But what makes your staff more unique is that it is a crystal staff and it can make an energy blade from the orb on top," Cadence finished.

Hawke paused for a moment. "Wait, it can do that?" he asked

"Yes, if you can concentrate enough magic into it, it can make an energy blade that you can use to stun your foes and make it more like a lightning blade or a flame blade," Cadence explained.

"Why didn't I find out about this sooner?" Hawke questioned himself.

Hawke nodded and walked along with Cadence while the guards follow them behind. After sometime, they entered into the Crystal Castle and entered into the throne room where they met a young jeweler, named Stylish Ring. She was known as the kingdom's best jewelist and was the one that made the ring that Shinning Armor gave to Cadence. Cadence had ask her to come from Canterlot to help Hawke with making a ring for him and she was more than happy to help.

"Ambassador Hawke," Stylish said with a bow. "Princess Cadence had told me of your plans and I believe I have a few ideas that I believe that Princess Twilight would love."

"I would love to see what you got, Ms. Ring and please just call me Hawke. I'm not so big on titles."

"Of course and thank you."

Stylish had about a dozen ring designs that she had drew up with each of them being unique than the others. Hawke carefully looked at each ring and was impress by them, but what she showed him so far didn't seem to be what he was looking for. As she was on the last design for the ring, Hawke's eyes was in awe of what he was looking at.

The design had the ring having a silver band with a sapphire gem on the settings. In the settings were eight other gems that were followed pattern with four sapphires and four diamond gems around it. In the center of the gem itself, was a amethyst that was shaped into Twilight's cutie mark. Stylish explained that the amethyst wouldn't be seen unless the sun hits the gem just right to give the ring a more magical effect on it.

Hawke greatly approved and believed that it was the ring for Twilight. Stylish said that she would get to work on the ring right away and would hand it to Cadence when it was finished. After thanking and hugging the jewerlist too tightly, Hawke made his way to find Armor.

After sometime, Hawke met up with Armor in his office and the two were talking while Cadence had her ear up against the door to listen in on the conversation. Hawke was nervous about telling Armor his big plan and tried to delay it with nothing but small talk. Eventually he gave up and just told Armor everything. There were a couple of times when he felt like he was going to be strangled by Armor despite the fact Twilight said that he was okay with the relationship. But that thought was soon washed away after Hawke was finished talking and Armor hugged him with immense force and said that he was more than honored to have him as a member of the family.

With relieve, Hawke left the Crystal Empire after he spent some time with both Armor and Cadence and was heading towards Canterlot riding the train. On the way there, Hawke collected together his thoughts on how Twilight's parents would think of the idea. He had no doubt that Velvet would love the idea as she would bug Twilight about getting hitched with him. Though, it might have been something she was just teasing about. Night was like a father to him and he enjoyed all the conversations they had together. Night never had any problems with Hawke and he was glad that he was able to make his daughter happy. But Hawke had a bit of fear that Night might think it maybe too early for a marriage and wouldn't go with the idea for now.

It was one of the things that Hawke had thought of it when he came up with the idea to marry Twilight. He could not deny that they were just together for over a year and they lives have been more busy because of his position as an ambassador and her being a newly crowned princess, but the love he had for her was clearly burning inside of him and he could never stop thinking about her even now. She was the first person he had laid his eyes on and despite the fact that he panicked, she was just as beautiful than she was today. She was his first friend, she was his teacher, she fought along side him, she was his partner at the Gala and danced with him and she was his true love. It was why he wanted her. Because he loved her and she in turn loved him.

He thoughts were stopped when he heard the announcer saying that they were entering the city of Canterlot. He looked at the time and realized that it had been hours since he left the Crystal Empire. He took in deep breath and felt nervous, but at the same time confidence.


Hawke walked along the sidewalk as he was getting nearer and nearer to both Velvet and Night's home. It was late afternoon and the sun was setting near over the horizon. He soon saw the house they lived in and walked up towards the front door. He took in a deep breath and knocked on it a couple of times. He felt that his heart was pounding fast every second that past.

"Just a second," a feminine voice said. The door opened and it was Velvet that was standing at the doorway. She smiled as she was surprised to see Hawke. "Hawke, it's so good to see you," she said. She wrapped her arms around him giving a warm hug and Hawke returned it with his own. "I didn't know you were coming by. Is my little Twiliy with you?" she asked.

"No, I came by myself," Hawke answered. "Actually Twilight doesn't know that I'm here."

"Really? I thought you two would always know where you are, since I hardly ever see you two apart," Velvet commented. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say that you two were newly weds."

Hawke gulped and let out a weak chuckle. "Y-Yeah, newly weds," he said. There was an awkward pause as Velvet looked at him with a confused expression. "Is your husband here?"

"Night? No, he went to get some groceries for me," Velvet answered. "Are you okay, Hawke? You're acting a bit strange....Well, stranger than usual."

Hawke tensed up for a moment but he took in a deep breath and relaxed. "Velvet, there was something I wanted to ask you for a while and-"

Velvet smiled. "Hawke, I know I'm that good looking but I'm happily married with my husband and I love my daughter too much to snatch away her coltfriend," she teased.

Hawke blushed. "Wait, what?! No, no I mean-"

Velvet giggles at Hawke's shocked expression. "I'm kidding, sweetie," she said, stepping aside. "Why don't you come in? Grab a seat and I'll grab us some tea."

Hawke nodded and walked inside with Velvet closing the door behind him. He looked around the living room and seated himself on the couch. Velvet went into the kitchen and brought out a tray that had three small glasses and a pitcher of tea with slices of lemon in them. She poured the tea into the two glasses and gave one to Hawke.

After taking a sip, Velvet looked over to Hawke. "So what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" she asked. "Is it the reason why you're being so nervous?"

Hawke took a confident sip of tea and sighed. "Velvet, you know how much I love your daughter, right?" he asked. "And that I would do anything to make her happy."

"Of course I do, I've seen the way two are and I've never seen a more perfect couple besides me and my husband," Velvet replied.

"Well, I came here to ask you about something," Hawke said. He took one final breath before he went out with it. "I want to marry your daughter and I want both yours and Night's blessings before I do."

Velvet stopped sipping her tea and looked at Hawke with a surprised expression. There was a moment of silence between the two as she was processing what she had just heard. A smile appeared on her and looked straight into Hawk's eyes. "Hawke, I would be more than happy to give you my blessing. You've always made my daughter happy and I know you will continue to so no matter what. I trust you and never gave me a reason not to."

"Thank you, Velvet," Hawke said. "I'm honored that you trust me with your daughter and I will dedicate my whole life making her happy."

"I know you will," Velvet replied.

At that moment, the door to the house opened and Night came walking in with a bag of groceries in his arm. He walked in to see both Hawke and Velvet sitting on the couch. "Hey Hawke, I didn't expect you to be here," he said.

"Sorry about that, I wanted to let you guys know ahead of time but it was kinda a last minute thing," Hawke explained.

"It's alright, you've been busy with all the responsibilities of being an ambassador. It must be hard to make any time."

"Eh, yeah let's go with that," Hawke nervously chuckled.

Velvet rolled her eyes. She knew that Hawke wasn't busy with any of it since Twilight keeps her inform with the letters she sends.

"So what brings you out here anyway?" Night asked. "It's not everyday that a famous hero and ambassador comes by to meet a everyday married couple in Canterlot."

Hawke hesitated to answer Night's question and looked over to Velvet. She smiled at him and gave him a simple nod. He let out some air and looked over to Night once more. "I actually came over here to ask you something. A very important question that involves Twilight."

Night's expression changed to a serious expression as he heard those words. From the way he could see Hawke's eyes he knew that he was going to ask him the one question that he would eventually have to face. The one question that every father with a daughter feared. He turned to his wife. "Honey, do you mind that Hawke and I go out to the back for a few moments?" he asked.

"Sure, sweetie," Velvet replied.

Night led the way towards the back with Hawke following behind him. When they got to the back they were standing over the edge of the patio's fence. Night looked over to Hawke. "So, what is it that you wanted to ask?" he asked.

"You know how much I love your daughter, right?"

"I do."

"I'll get right to the point, I want to marry your daughter and I want your blessing before I do."

Night was silent for a moment. "Don't you think that you both are young to be getting married? And that you both have large responsibilities with you being an ambassador and her being a princess?" he asked.

"Hawke let out sigh. "I have no illusion that it'll be hard," he replied. "But I'm more than willing to go through that with Twilight. She's means so much to me and I want to make her smile everyday. So I ask you as a man that loves her, will you allow me to marry your daughter?"

"......No."

"W-What? I-"

"Unless, you promise me that you will always be there for her."

Hawke smiled. "I do, I promise to be there for her."

"Then you have my blessing."

Night held out his hand and Hawke shook it.


After the long trip back to Ponyville and throwing away the disguise in case Pinkie was snooping around again. Hawke was walking down the road towards his house. 'Man, it would be so good to be back in my own home again,' he thought to himself. The house soon came into view and it looked like that nothing had happened to it. When he opened the door, he saw his brother, Sparrow sweeping up the floor with a broom.

Sparrow let out a sigh. "Finally, got most of this place cleaned up," he said to himself.

"Eh, Sparrow?"

"AAAAAAAH!" Sparrow screamed when he heard his older brother and turned to show that he was exhausted and his eyes were red from lack of sleep. "Hawke! When did you get here?"

"I just got back," Hawke replied. "What happened here?"

"What? What do you mean? There wasn't a party here!" Sparrow frantically relied giving out a weak chuckle.

"I....didn't say anything about a party."

"Oh, well um-"

"And why is Pinkie sleeping on the floor.......again?"

Sparrow looked down to see Pinkie laying on her back snoring. "She.......came by to visit and had a sugar crash when she eat to much snacks around here."

"Pinkie, had a sugar crash?"

"Yes."

"Sparrow, I saw her eat five bags of sugar one time on a dare and came out unaffected," Hawke explained. "Lost five bits."

"Wait, what?"

"Hawke, is that you?" A weak voice came from the stair and Hawke looked over to see Twilight walking down with her hand on her head showing that she was having a headache. "I don't feel so good."

"Twilight, what are you doing here?"

"I accidentally drank some punch that somepony spiked during the party," Twilight replied. "After that, I can't remember anything else."

"Wait. Party? Spiked punch? And Pinkie sleeping on the floor again?" Hawke turned to his brother with a serious look. "What happened in the last two days?"

End of Chapter

Author's Note:

Well, things for Hawke's proposal is under way. So what do you think happened with Sparrow in the last two days?