• Published 25th Mar 2014
  • 13,135 Views, 345 Comments

Who Are You, And What Have You Done With Diamond Tiara? - Bucking Nonsense

  • ...
52
 345
 13,135

Consequences

"Let's go for a walk, you and I."

Diamond Tiara's eyes widened in surprise. Looking up, and up, and further up, at Princess Celestia, the earth pony realized just how small she must seem to somepony so grand and powerful. The filly had seen the princess before, of course, but this was the first time she'd ever seen a member of the royal family up close, asides from Twilight Sparkle.

When Diamond Tiara had been practically dragged here by her father for this stupid meeting, she'd expected it to be some sort of a prank: they were trying to do something to 'scare her straight', or some nonsense like that. She'd expected to just be given a slap on the hoof punishment by some minor toady or something, since the princess was far too busy to bother with something like a filly trying to play hookey. But when they were escorted to the throne room by a pair of stone-faced guards, she'd begun to realize just how serious things were.

When the filly saw the princess sitting upon her throne, her face stern and cold, Diamond Tiara realized that she was now in more trouble than she had ever imagined. After a few brief words with her father, the princess asked him to leave so that the two could talk in private. Filthy Rich nodded, and walked out without hesitation. The fact that he'd not said even one word to his daughter worried the filly more than she could say. And now, the princess was personally addressing her...

Diamond, nodding nervously, said, "Yes, your highness."

The princess and the filly began walking, quickly exiting the throne room, and soon were walking through the palace proper. A short time later, they passed through a door with two guards watching, and were out on a balcony, overlooking the city. Diamond Tiara rushed up to the railing that marked the boundary between the palace and a long drop, her eyes wide in awe. The view was... breathtaking. You could see the entire city from up here! She could even see, way off in the distance, the town of Ponyville...

"Now that we're in private, let's get a few things out of the way," the princess said, her voice still firm, but... less stern than before.

Diamond Tiara turned back towards Princess Celestia, and steeled herself for... she didn't know what. She suddenly realized that this was the first time that she was in trouble, and didn't have some sort of way of getting out of it...

"Do you know why you are here?"

Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes and said, "Because I got caught..." She bit off the word 'Duh' at the end, as the princess' expression caused her to realize that the answer she had just given was the absolute worst one she could ever thought of.

"While technically true," the princess said, frowning, "it does not grasp even a fraction of the scale of your misdeed. You found a homeless child, barely any older than you are, without any means of supporting himself, struggling to survive on the streets, and what did you do? Did you offer him a helping hoof in friendship? No. Did you tell an adult, who might have been able to help him? No. You terrorized him into performing an action that both of you knew was morally and ethically wrong, and gave him reason to believe that his life would be in danger if he did not comply with your unreasonable demands. How would he have kept himself fed, while imitating you every waking hour of the day? The young boy was a half-day from starvation when you found him. In his own words, the only reason why he had not run completely out of energy before lunch yesterday was because your father hugged him before leaving him at school."

Her eyes widening in surprise, Diamond Tiara began to argue, "But..."

"Young lady," Celestia said, angrily, "If the next words out of your mouth are 'he's just a dumb changeling', or anything of that nature, you're going to find yourself in a great deal more trouble than you already are."

The filly shut her mouth with a click.

Sighing wearily, Celestia said, "One of the founding principles of our nation is equality for all. That means that regardless of who you are, or what race, or even species, you belong to, you are entitled to fair and just treatment, not just by the law, but by others. That does include changelings. If an exception were made for any race, it would be a violation of the very foundations of this land of ours. We might as well go back to the days before Clover, Pansy, and Smart Cookie, when everypony mistrusted everypony else. We may as well have let the Windigos freeze the world solid." Her eyes narrowed in anger, Celestia said, "So I hope you can understand now why you are in so much trouble. Your own actions have gone against everything that a pony is supposed to stand for, and I honestly cannot state in words how disappointed I am in you right now."

Diamond Tiara hung her head in shame. Bad enough to be told you'd done something that bad by anypony, but to hear it directly from the princess herself...

Celestia cleared her throat, and with a slightly lighter tone, she said, "You are still young, so I doubt you could have fully understood the full consequences of your actions without being told. Under normal circumstances, I would just let you off with a warning, and let you go on your merry way, confident that you would never do such a thing again. In truth, I am a busy pony, and this would be something that should not require my personal attention. However," the princess said, sighing, "These are not normal circumstances."

Confused, Diamond Tiara asked, "What do you mean?"

"What I mean," the princess said, skewering the filly with a glare fit to stop the youngster's heart, "is that this is not some incident of isolated mischief, but the latest in a long, and steadily escalating, chain of misdeeds. When Twilight Sparkle sent me the message indicating that a royal audience would be required, I requested, as a matter of protocol, a copy of your permanent record. The average permanent record for a filly your age would be, oh five pages long. SIx, if they were unusually rambunctious." Gesturing to one of the guards stationed at the doorway back into the palace, the princess said, "Let me show you yours."

An earth pony guard, surprisingly large and powerfully built, came in, hauling a wagon behind him. Upon the wagon was a massive stack of papers. The guard was straining to pull the heavy burden, sweat streaming from his body: the files, folders, and assorted documents were piled to the point that they were as tall as Celestia herself, and filling every inch of a wagon that could have held a half dozen ponies comfortably. Upon reaching the two ponies, the guard saluted, unhitched his burden, then walked back out, his work done for now.

Gesturing at the pile of documents, Celestia stated, "In any other school in Equestria, a record like this one would be cause enough for you to be expelled five times over. Cheerilee indicated in these files, more than once, that the only reason that she had given you as many chances as she had was because she believed that, deep down, you were a good pony. She has, for some time, worked with your father to try and come up with something, anything, to make you see that your actions were detrimental, not just to yourself, but to your fellow students. Their combined efforts could only be called heroic: most teachers would have given up on you long before now, and the fact that your father was willing to go to every meeting that your teacher requested without complaint speaks volumes for his dedication to you. However, whenever you were punished for your actions, you simply reacted by redoubling your misbehavior. You never showed any sort of regret for your actions, just anger at being caught and punished for performing actions that you knew were wrong as you were committing them."

With another long, weary sigh, the princess said, "However, were you expelled, your permanent record would bar you from entering any other school, save the most severe of reform schools. Your father did not want that, your teacher did not want that, you would not want that, and in all honesty, I do not want that either. Such schools are intended for children years older than you, and who have far more severe discipline problems than you do. While your actions have been deplorable, you have not truly crossed the line into truly monstrous behavior... yet. However, something needs to be done to end this downward spiral, and you have, through your own actions, proven you are either unwilling, or unable, to do so yourself."

Turning towards the Canterlot skyline, Celestia asked, "Tell me, Diamond Dazzle Tiara, have you ever heard of a 'Reform Spell'?"

Shaking her head, the filly admitted, "No, your highness."

"It's a spell that causes the recipient to feel immediate consequences for their actions. Essentially, it causes the one it is cast upon to feel discomfort, potentially verging on pain, every time they commit an action that they know is wrong without any sort of justification... and the spell continues that feeling until the misdeed has been remedied. It is a spell that is normally reserved only for repeat offenders, criminals who have committed crimes and have shown no remorse for their actions." Looking back at the filly, the princess said, "While the version that will be applied to you will be among the weakest versions of the spell, it should prove more than sufficient to deter you from further misdeeds."

Wait, she was going to cast that kind of spell on her? Before she could stop herself, Diamond Tiara sputtered, "Th-that's not fair!"

"Not fair?" Celestia advanced upon Diamond Tiara, the hooves of the princess striking sparks against the stones beneath her. "Not fair? Let's talk about fair, shall we?"

Her horn glowing with power, the princess lifted the filly up, and with a flap of her massive wings, both of them were airborne. In seconds they were so high above the city that the ponies below looked like ants.

Pointing at the city with one hoof, Celestia said, "Down there, Diamond Tiara, are ponies who work their hardest every day of their lives for everything they have, and will earn less in their lifetimes than your father earns in a week. You have never spent a day worrying about where your next meal might come from, or that you might not have a roof to sleep under tomorrow, while some of them live in constant fear of that. And you say that this is not fair." Pointing at the young filly, the princess said, "Everything you have ever had, up to and including your cutie mark, has been handed to you on a silver plate... and instead of being grateful for that, you've used what you have to make the lives of those around you miserable. And you say that this is not fair." Pulling the filly closer, Celestia said, "You've been given more chances than any other pony had any right to request to rectify your behavior, and have not. And you say that this is not fair." Their faces now barely an inch apart, Celestia said, "Right now, because of your mischief, I am here, talking to you, using time that could be better spent solving far more serious problems. Every minute, every second, that I waste here, is time that could be spent preventing the next potential disaster that could befall this land of ours. And. You. Say. That. This. Is. Not. Fair."

"Sorry," squeaked Diamond Tiara, clearly terrified.

Sighing, Celestia said, "You can apologize by being a better pony." The two began to lower gently back to the ramparts of the palace. Once they touched the ground, the princess' horn flashed with magic once again, and Diamond Tiara felt a strange feeling come across her. It wasn't quite a headache, but it might have been if it had lasted more than a second. "There. The spell is in place. At its current level, it will remain for a time no less than one year. Twilight Sparkle will be checking in on you regularly, and if she finds that the spell has been removed or tampered with in any way, shape, or form, I will not be pleased."

Gesturing to the guards again, Celestia said, "I will personally check on your progress in twenty-five days. If I should find that your behavior has improved sufficiently, I will consider removing the spell, or at least diminishing its strength somewhat. However, if I find that there has been no improvement, I will begin exploring more strict means of correcting this problem. The primrose path ends here, Diamond Tiara: if you want to have anything like the easy life you've led before, you will have to earn it."

The two guards reached the princess and the filly. "Take her back to her father, and tell him what's been done," Princess Celestia said, her expression stern. "If he feels that it is inappropriate, he is free to come here and discuss alternatives: I am more than willing to listen. Otherwise, he can take his daughter home." The guards nodded, and escorted the filly away.
-------------------------

"Wow," Sombra said, dropping the invisibility spell he'd kept over himself the entire time that the princess had been speaking with the filly, "I did not know you had it in you, your highness."

"Don't start that," Celestia said, sighing. "It breaks my heart having to do something like this to somepony so young."

Shrugging, Sombra, the former tyrant ruler of the Crystal Empire, now reformed and the head of the Bureau of Changeling Affairs, said, "Well, you came to me for advice on how to solve this. You could have said no to the idea, but you said yourself you couldn't think of anything better that wouldn't be considered cruel and unusual for a filly her age." Rolling his eyes, he said, "I admit, I do not like it much, either. However, one thing we can both agree on is that something had to be done: that young filly was a horn away from becoming the next me."

Nodding, the princess said, "Right. And that's something I'd much rather avoid. Even reformed, you're far too much of a headache on your own. I don't think I could handle you in stereo."

With a big, booming guffaw, the unicorn said, "Yes, well, I would much rather remain one of a kind, myself. Well, at least we finished this before lunch." Smiling broadly, the former tyrant said, "I was going to head down to Le Couteau Doré for something to eat: I promised Rochelle that I'd let her know how things turned out. You want to come with me? I know you have a weakness for her cooking."

With a chuckle, Celestia said, "No, I think I'll pass. Do give her my regards, though." With a sly look, the princess asked, "Are you going to ask her to come work at the Bureau again?" It would make for the fifth time he'd asked her: the changeling had caught the wizard's eye, and he felt that, as excellent as her cooking was, her other talents were being wasted...

Blushing, Sombra admitted, "Actually, I am considering asking her out..."

Author's Note:

For a little more about redeemed Sombra, look in on my story A Meal Fit For A King The full story of his redemption will come at a later date.