• Published 26th May 2014
  • 11,168 Views, 320 Comments

The Worst Nightmare Of My Life - Spacecowboy



Three teenagers find themselves in a strange land, in equally strange bodies. One is the spitting image of an Equestria villain, while the other two have found themselves as bat ponies. Getting home is not going to be easy...

  • ...
37
 320
 11,168

Prologue

One by one, necklaces formed around the necks of Twilight’s first true friends, each one symbolizing an aspect that best defined them. Nightmare Moon looked on in shock at the small group of six ponies; the only ones that had dared defy her, stunned that mere mortals could thwart her plans when even Celestia herself had fallen before her might.

Time appeared to slow down as Nightmare Moon watched the final element, the missing element, come into being, cementing her loss. Words fell on deaf ears as she attempted to weigh her options. There was no time for her to jump to the realm of dreams; even then her physical body would remain behind. At the sight of that hated beam of harmonizing magic, she let out her breath and steeled herself for the inevitable.

Meanwhile

Sister Loraine walked into the main chapel, intent on completing the last task in preparation for tomorrow’s mass. She carefully walked through the aisles, straightening out any bibles that were out of place, carefully spacing them for their congregation who took the time out of their lives once a week to come and spend an hour or two in this sanctuary.

As she neared the back half of the chapel, still going about her task, a flash of light illuminated the sparsely lit interior, temporarily giving clarity to all of the stained glass windows depicting various scenes from the Bible. Loraine looked up as the deep, bass rumble following the flash occurred nearly instantly, the vibrations faintly running through her feet.

Another flash of lightning illuminated the chapel once more, followed by another deep rumble of thunder, nearly deafening from its close proximity. Loraine quickly closed her eyes and made a cross as she said a brief word to God before resuming her task.

The patter of heavy rain reached her ears through the thick oaken doors as she finished with the last row of pews. She paused a moment and simply stood in the middle of the aisle, closing her eyes and letting out a sigh of content. A series of heavy knocks thudded against the double doors leading outside, drawing her attention as she opened her eyes.

A quick glance at the clock kept near the door showed the time to be nearing nine o’clock at night, way past the time that the church normally received any visitors. As she opened one of the heavy doors, the sounds of the storm intensified, the wind howling as the lightning continued its deadly dance across the sky, illuminating the towering black clouds swirling above.

Loraine looked around, noticing nothing until her sight fell lower. Resting on the already wet covered steps was a small basket, with a babe wrapped in blankets within. Grabbing the basket briskly, she continued to scan the horizon, looking for the one responsible for dropping the child off at their door. Focusing intently on the horizon, the flashes of lightning illuminated the distant treeline, revealing no signs of life.

After a few more seconds of looking, Loraine simply shook her head and closed the door, locking it before turning her attention to the baby in her arms. “Poor child, your mother must be in dire straits to abandon you so. We will do our best to make you feel welcome though.”

Loraine quickly walked through the chapel to the hallway leading to the offices and orphanage. Noticing that the light was still on in a specific office, she gently rapped her knuckles on the frame before stepping in.

“Father Bishop, I’m afraid another wayward soul has entrusted their young to us.” She quietly spoke, walking to his desk and gently setting the basket and infant within down on it. “I looked around, but was unable to see who it was… poor child.”

Father Bishop set his pencil down and turned his attention to the babe. “Thank you, Sister Loraine. Whoever they were, they have entrusted us with the care of their young one, and we will not fail them.” He gently picked the child up, amazed at just how quiet she was in his arms. “What have we here?”

With Bishop’s arms now full, Loraine retrieved a sealed letter that had been tucked underneath the kid. She turned it around in her hands, but there was no writing to be found on the envelope itself. With a nod from Father Bishop, she opened the envelope and pulled out a carefully folded piece of paper. Unfolding it, her eyes took in the single sentence written.

“May you give her what I was unable to,” Loraine read it aloud for Father Bishop’s sake. Setting it down on the table, she focused on the small child in his hands. “That’s all it says…” she trailed off, finding herself thoroughly entranced with the baby’s eyes as they finally opened. “Her eyes are so beautiful, such a light blue… teal, perhaps?”

“Indeed they are, Sister Loraine, indeed they are…” He smiled as the baby tried to grip one of his fingers, the entire time remaining silent. “So calm for one who came to us during such a storm, aren’t you?” he playfully asked the babe before turning his focus towards Loraine. “If you could, please go and see if Sister Leticia needs any help, and then get a crib set up for the little one? I can take care of her until you’re done; I was just wrapping up our finances here.”

“Yes, Father, I’ll come find you once we’re done.” She gave one last smile at the child before leaving the room, slightly closing the door behind her. Father Bishop let out a small chuckle as the baby latched onto his finger with her other hand.

“Such a curious one, aren't you…” he quietly spoke, using his free hand to pull out a blank piece of paper and pen. “Now, we need to call the county Monday morning to let them know all about you, but we need a name for you first, don’t we?” Bishop talked to her, his voice filled with warmth as he picked up the pen.

“Hmm, a storm… you came to us in the middle of a ‘tempestas’ as they would call it in Latin.” He paused in his speech, tapping the pen on the paper while thinking for a few moments. “It isn’t your everyday name, but you aren’t an everyday child, now are you?” He chuckled as she let out a few baby noises, as if she were agreeing with him.

“I believe Tempest would be a fitting name for you, little one. I’m quite certain given your apparent bravery right now; you’ll be capable of causing quite the storm on your own, given time.” Bishop let the pen drop from his hand, bringing it to his other to better support her as he gently began rocking her. She let out small coos of delight, waving her hands in front of her as he quietly chuckled at her antics. “Looks like you approve, huh?

“Tempest it is.”


The automatic doors hissed as they opened, a couple walking across the threshold of the adoption agency. They stood there, gazing around the expansive greeting area until the receptionist greeted them. “Hello and welcome to Reynard’s Adoption Agency, where our goal is to unite you with the child of your dreams!” she cheerily spoke, a wide smile spread across her face. “How may I help you today, Mister and Missus…”

“Jones. This is my wife, Amanda, and I’m Don. We have an appointment with Mister Reynard for ten o’clock,” he replied as he walked to the counter, glancing at the clock on the wall above the receptionist. The minute hand rolled over to nine forty-five as they stopped in front of the desk.

Reaching down to grab the phone, she never took her focus off Amanda and Don. “Thank you, if you would just give me a moment, I believe he might be ready to accept you both now.” They quietly stood there, leaning on the counter as the receptionist quietly talked on the phone. After less than a minute, she hung up and beamed another smile at them. “Mister Reynard will be out in just a moment.”

True to her word, moments later a man walked through the door, a large smile on his face as well as he walked up to Don with his hand outstretched. “Mister and Missus Jones, how nice to see you again.” They quickly exchanged handshakes before he quickly got down to business. “So, I take it that your mind is made up?”

“Yes,” Amanda began, a glint of determination in her eyes. “Ever since we found out that I was unable to conceive, this has been our dream. This little girl needs a home, and I believe that we can be the ones to give her everything she needs, and then more.” She clutched Don’s arm, leaning into his side as she sadly smiled.

Chuckling, Don nodded. “She’s summed it up pretty well. We both want a child, and this is the only avenue we have available.” He brought his free hand over to hold his wife’s, glancing in her direction for a moment.

“I’m very glad to hear that. You might be surprised at the amount of couples who come in here only to have cold feet at the last minute.” Reynard shook his head and sighed. “Please, follow me to the office, I have all of the paperwork prepared, all that’s needed is our fee and your signatures, and you’ll be the parents of Tempest Jones.”

They left the reception room, walking through a small corridor. “Mister Reynard, my husband and I discussed it, and we wanted to know what would be required to change her first name,” Amanda began, turning into his office. “While there’s nothing really wrong with Tempest, it’s better suited to be her middle name.”

“Actually, since she is only six months old, it is relatively easy to change. Even moreso since the priest who named her did not give her another name.” Reynard chuckled as he sat down and pulled out a stack of papers. “He really loves his Latin. Father Bishop is relatively well known among the privates agencies such as mine. Sweet man, but we get all sorts of esoteric names… What did you have in mind?”

Don took the picture off the top of the stack of papers, showing it to Amanda as their faces positively glowed. “Her grandmother’s name was Jeanne,” he paused, as if to roll the name on his tongue.

“Jeanne Tempest Jones.”


The crisp sounds of the school bell ringing heralded the start of a much anticipated weekend. Students rushed out of every open door, seeking the quickest possible path to their car or bus. One student, however, felt no need to hurry as she finished clearing her desk and then glanced around the room one last time before leaving the classroom. She let her feet take her down the frequently traveled halls, her destination just one of the many exits from the annoyance frequently referred to as high-school.

As she stepped outside, the sun’s harsh afternoon rays revealed the faintest hint of dark blue in her otherwise black hair. She was forced to raise a hand to cover her teal eyes lest she be momentarily blinded by the light. Glancing around, she spotted her friends standing off to the side, their green eyes, reddish hair, and their nearly identical features making them impossible to miss.

“Hey, Jeanne, we’re over here!” the brother called out to her as their eyes met. Tempest devilishly grinned as she stalked up to him, dropping her bag on the ground as she wrapped one arm around his neck and lovingly delivered a punch to his kidney.

“Seriously, Brian, you know how much I hate that name. You know damn well to call me Tempest by now.” She rolled her eyes as he straightened up and smirked at her. “I swear, sometimes I think you do it on purpose, you masochist.” Tempest turned towards her other friend, a smile on her face. “Sup, Bri? I'd hang out with you two tonight, but the parents already made plans." She temporarily screwed up her face in annoyance. "I am getting a good dinner out of it though, so I guess it's not that bad. Think the rest of the weekend is free, though."

Brianna shrugged her shoulders, nodding towards her brother. “It works for me, I’ve got to help dumbass here pass Chemistry, so one of the days were already shot." She rolled her eyes, a glint of humor in them. "Plus I doubt you’d want to help him muddle through that crap again, for more than one reason...” she trailed off, smirking.

“Hey now, I resent that!” he objected, causing them both to glare at him. “What, so I somehow burned a desk to cinders once... It was just one time, and that was two years ago!” Brian whined, causing the glares to twist into laughter at his expense. He rolled his eyes, muttering underneath his breath, “I’d expect it from my sister, but you Tempest? Ouch…”

Tempest finished laughing before wrapping both of her arms around Brian, quieting him with a chaste kiss to his mouth. “Shut up, you,” she murmured, pulling back. “You know damn well that Chemistry is your weak spot, and anytime I try to come over and help you with it you can never focus." She smiled while accentuating her words with a hard poke to his chest with her pointer finger.

“Gee, I can’t imagine whatever might distract him from studying when it's with you, Tempy.” Brianna chuckled and punched her brother’s shoulder. “He’s too much of a pervert; I’m surprised you’re still putting up with him after all this time.”

Brian brought both his hand over his heart, mimicking being shot and briefly collapsed in Tempest’s arms. She laughed and let him hit the ground, bending down to pick her backpack up. “It can be a bit endearing at times, really. Maybe I just like you two too much, who knows?" Tempest grinned, backpack in one hand while she briefly threw her arm over Brianna's shoulder. "Or I just like having a willing punching bag,” she chucked as Brian hopped back to his feet. “Now come on, let’s go. Parents probably have an early reservation tonight; I don’t want to be late for my own birthday dinner.”

“Hey, it’s not my fault she looks good no matter what she’s wearing!” Brain exclaimed, letting out an oomph as Tempest’s fist connected with his side once more. He shrugged it off and grabbed her hand in his, pulling her close. “Hey now, that was meant as a compliment!”

They laughed, finally leaving the school’s grounds. Tempest pulled out her lighter as Brian and Brianna began to argue over something trivial. Repeatedly flipping the cap open and closed, Tempest’s thoughts wandered, her eighteenth birthday bringing older memories to the surface. The strongest one of all was when Brian and Brianna had first moved in next door. Tempest had been angry with her parents, the truth that she was adopted had been suddenly dropped on her, and she had been looking for an escape. The twins next door had seen her climbing out the second-story window and wrapped her up in their shenanigans exploring their new neighborhood. The fact that they had pranked half the residents had also gone a long way in binding them together in a solid friendship. The thought of what they had done to the grumpy old man four houses down caused her to snicker, pulling the twin’s attention.

“What’s so funny, Tempest?” Brian asked, his voice jolting her back to the present. She realized that the lighter was in her hand and she had been staring into the orange flickering flame. Closing the lid, she turned back to flipping the cap again as she turned towards Brian to answer him.

“Oh, just thinking of our first run around the neighborhood,” she mentioned offhand, a smirk on her face. “I still can’t look at pogo sticks the same… where did we even find that one, anyways?” All three of them broke into laughter as they neared the end of their walk through the quiet residential neighborhood.

“I think we borrowed it from that one kid, what was his name again? Bill, Billy, Willy? One of those, it really doesn’t matter anymore, though,” Brianna chimed in, a wide grin on her face. “Remember the look on his face afterwards? I don’t know if he was more stunned at the fact we somehow got onto his roof, or that we did it with a pogo stick.”

Tempest sighed and pocketed her lighter as they all stopped in her driveway. “Well, make sure idiot here gets all of his Chemistry taken care of, I’d hate to have to leave him here and just have a girl’s night out with you, Bri.” Tempest grinned, kissing Brian before he could voice any protest. “And don’t let me catch you knocking at my door tonight, either. I don’t want to cut the weekend short because you didn’t finish your homework, or were in the hospital.” She cracked her knuckles jokingly, shooting him a knowing look.

Brian rolled his eyes, the grin on his face betraying his true thoughts. “Fine, I’ll get it done tonight. Besides, it’s not like I’d miss your birthday over something as lame as Chemistry. Have a good evening with your parents, Tempest, and happy birthday.” He hugged her and gave her a quick kiss before turning towards the house next door. “Brianna, I’ll be in my room once you finish whatever ‘girl talk’ you two wanna make.”

Chuckling, they watched him disappear inside and then turned towards each other. “Well, should we just wait out here and make him think we’re discussing something diabolical?” Brianna quipped, smiling as she glanced towards her brother’s bedroom window. “We wouldn’t even need to come up with anything, just make him think we were.”

Tempest laughed, shaking her head. “Nah, I’m actually looking forward to dinner, just don't tell my parents that. They booked a table at that new Italian place that’s supposed to be amazing.” She nodded towards the window where Brian was peeking at them between the blinds. “Keep him in line for me, ’kay? I’ll see the two of you tomorrow morning.” Tempest pulled Brianna into a quick hug before watching her dart off to torment her brother with the subject of Chemistry.

Walking inside, Tempest kicked off her shoes by the front door, yelling to the seemingly empty house. “Mom, Dad, I’m home!” No one replied as she began climbing the stairs to her room. They must be out back I guess. I’ll go find them after I change. Tempest dumped her bag on the floor as she walked straight for her closet, pulling out clothes that she had set aside yesterday. It was just a simple blouse and shirt, but anything was better than the school uniform that was required.

In no time at all Tempest had finished changing, ending it by quickly tying her shoulder length hair into a ponytail. Closing the door behind her, she went downstairs and headed for the dining room, which led to the back patio. Her parents appeared to be discussing something, and had a few small wrapped packages resting on top of the small outdoor table.

Opening the door pulled their attention to her. “Happy Birthday, Jeanne!” both of them exclaimed at the same time, encasing her in a hug moments after she managed to step outside and close the door. Tempest wrapped her arms around her parents, returning their embrace.

After a few moments, they broke apart, a wide grin on Tempest’s face. “Thanks. I’m so glad that school is finally almost over now." Tempest sighed, blowing some of her bangs off of her face. "I mean, talk about boring, and I don’t know how many more English classes I can sit through. We’ve heard more about Mrs. Winnow's kid than classwork. Never thought I’d ever say that I have more interest in dead people who wrote boring crap, but she seriously makes me consider it,” she stated, screwing her face up in disgust. Tempest raised her voice a few octaves before mockingly speaking. "Oh my, little Stewart took his first steps today! He spoke today again, he said mommy!" Tempest scowled, her face screwed up in disgust.

Her mother laughed while her father shot Tempest a knowing look. “Jeanne, dear, you’ll find that to be true of most women. Never had to deal with it myself, but all of your aunts were like that with each and every one of your cousins,” he stated, a grin forming on his face. “Ten bucks says you’ll find yourself doing the same thing in five or ten years.”

“Dad!” Tempest exclaimed, embarrassed as she slugged her dad in the shoulder. “That’s just… I don’t even want to think about that, come on!” Her mother chuckled while her father continued grinning.

“What? I’ve seen how Brian looks at you…” He deftly dodged another punched tossed his way as he pulled one of the wrapped packages from the table. “Speaking of, this might help ensure that I don’t have to kill the kid anytime soon… I kind of like him.” Once Tempest took the gift from him, he walked out of her reach.

Quickly ripping the paper apart, Tempest’s face froze in embarrassment. Slowly, she looked up, fixing her gaze on her parents, both of which began laughing. “God, why do you hate me?” she uttered while looking up and then walked over to the table, dropping the box of birth control pills onto its surface.

Her mother rested a hand on her shoulder, wryly smiling. “Dear, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. It’s perfectly natural for a young woman to want to… scratch that itch.” Tempest gave up and buried her head in the palms of her hand. Her mother laughed and pulled her close. “Now that we’ve gotten the embarrassing gift out of the way, how about we take a look at the good one? And no, it’s not a car.”

They all shared a brief chuckle, walking to the uncovered portion of the patio. Tempest’s eyes widened in surprise as she took in the sight of a large telescope propped up on a tripod, a red bow on its capped lens. “It took us awhile to decide what to get you, but you’ve been showing a lot of interest in astronomy, and that telescope we had is pretty old, so…”

Tempest nearly knocked her dad over as she hugged him around the neck, thrilled with the gift. She had recently taken a large interest in astronomy; there was something in the stars that seemed to call out to her. However, the only telescope around the house had been her parent’s old one from their college days, which was old as dirt, in Tempest’s eyes.

“Like it? I love it! Thanks a lot!” Tempest hugged her mom, bringing them both to the ground in the grass as her dad laughed at the situation. He helped them to their feet, brushing some of the grass off their clothes.

“We thought you’d love it, Jeanne.” He quickly glanced at the watch on his wrist. “We can save the rest of the gifts for later. If we don’t hurry up, we’ll be late for dinner. You two go on ahead and do whatever it is you women do to get ready,” he quipped, grinning at both of them.

Tempest looked down at her freshly grass-stained blouse and slowly grinned, shrugging her shoulders. “Sounds like a plan, shouldn’t be too long though. Maybe a few minutes?” she replied over her shoulder as she ran inside to get ready for dinner.

The next few hours flew by in a blink for Tempest, the events seemingly blurring together as she enjoyed every moment of her birthday time with the parents. Sadly, like time is always determined to do, the day came to an end much too quickly. Tempest lay on her back in bed, the bedside lamp the only constant illumination in the room. A dull, orange glow flickered in and out of existence periodically as she subconsciously fiddled with her lighter in one hand as she gazed up.

Her eyes darted across the painted ceiling. When she developed a desire to understand the stars, Tempest had put her limited art skills to use on her ceiling. She had taken a star chart from an observatory somewhere in the Southwestern United States and attempted to paint the ceiling using it. While it had ended up far from accurate, the major constellations were still somewhat right, and it was these that Tempest looked at.

It seemed like minutes, but when she checked the clock, the clock’s faint green numbers showed her that nearly an hour had flown by. A long yawn ripped itself from her throat, her eyelids growing heavy with fatigue. Tempest rolled over and set the lighter down on the nightstand and then turned off the light. Closing her eyes, she let her mind meander slowly into unconsciousness.


Dreams are an odd thing. Some believe them to be the mind’s subconscious thoughts given form during rest as the brain attempt to deals with issues in one’s life. Their occurrence cannot be predicted, and oftentimes the events dreamed about dissipate from the mind as soon as consciousness returns. They are a fleeting, odd event. On rare occasion, the dreamer is able to realize that they are dreaming, and thus obtain full control of the dream. This phenomenon is known as lucid dreaming, and very few people are capable of doing so.

Tempest found herself amidst one such dream, her mental construct surrounded by a field of solid black. Direction was given definition as a field developed below, the sky above filling with stars. In the constructed night sky, constellations never before seen in the natural sky formed, shapes of animals, real or otherwise.

She was content to lie in the grass within her mind, the stars above rotating as new images rose over the horizon, replacing those that dropped from sight. Her imagination was the only limiting factor, and it was vast. Time had no meaning here, and she could spend as long as she wanted gazing at the wonder that was space.

When she grew bored of gazing upon the stars, Tempest decided to go among them instead. Now surrounded by the inky void of space, various marvels of modern astronomy began to pass around her. A red dwarf lingered in her gaze, replaced with a blue giant moments later. Feeling somewhat destructive, a black hole came in close behind the star, which made it visible even as the star began to be pulled apart by the intense gravity.

Singular objects became entire galaxies after an indeterminate amount of time. A spiral galaxy, much like the images of the Milky Way she had seen on the internet took the center of her focus, lazily spinning around. Another spiral galaxy formed, this one in an opposite spin just next to the first. She slowly brought them closer together, watching the outer fringes of each collide.

Galaxies that would normally be impossible were next. Tempest remembered her recent visit to the zoo, and thoughts translated directly to images as swirling masses began to form in the shapes of various animals. Lions, tigers, bears; every animal that she had seen paraded around in the sky in a giant menagerie.

Suddenly, the entire dreamscape rippled, banishing everything and returning the dream back to its original solid black canvas. Tempest mentally frowned, as even her construct was gone. She attempted to reform it, but another ripple emanated from seemingly everywhere and nowhere at once. She thought that she might be waking up, but her limited past experience with lucid dreams pointed towards it being something else, something unknown.

The timing between the pulses decreased, each one coming quicker and quicker, sending Tempest into a panic. She attempted to wake herself up, but found that she was effectively locked within her own mind by something unknown. The origin of the pulses was finally revealed as a white dot loomed in the distance, rapidly growing in size.

There was a brief lull in the pulses, leaving Tempest utterly confused at her current situation. Before she could give any more thought to the matter at hand, the white object exploded, and she thought no more.


"Shh, be quiet! We don't want to wake anyone up!" Brianna harshly whispered at Brian, elbowing him in the side. They were on the ground, having just left their house via a second story window in order to surprise Tempest with some gifts. The items in question were a box wrapped in newspaper and a bottle of liquor tucked underneath Brian's arm.

"Ow!" Brian muttered, shooting his sister a glare as they moved the ladder in place to access the window into Tempest's room. This was not the first time that they had snuck into her house, so both were well aware that the window was never locked. "There was no need to hit me, witch."

Brianna stuck her tongue out at her sibling once the ladder was in place. "Get over it and be quiet already," she quipped, thoroughly aware that she had been the first one to talk as she inwardly laughed at Brian's mouth opening and then closing in rapid succession. They climbed up to the window, easily opening it after moving the screen out of the way.

Two pairs of feet hit the carpeted floor of Tempest's bedroom, what little noise made absorbed by the thick material. They both noticed her tossing and turning on her bed as they walked to the foot of her bed, causing them both to frown slightly. They stopped at the foot of her bed, sides nearly touching as Brian motioned to the left with his hand and a nod of his head. Brianna gave him a thumbs up in reply.

Before they could take a step and enact the their plan, a bright light flooded the room. As it receded, no one was left within.