• Published 22nd Mar 2014
  • 11,035 Views, 956 Comments

Fallout New Vegas: Unexpected Friends - Sleepyted



Twilight gets transported to the Mojave Wasteland after a magical mishap.

  • ...
66
 956
 11,035

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 74

“The Legion really need to put more effort into their camps…” Anne stated as shoved one of said tents with the barrel of her shotgun, the metal propped up on sticks falling over with a clatter.

“With the number we killed getting here I think it might be because they have too many troops.” Twilight stated, looking around for movement.

“The Legion is having the downfall of the Romans they’re based on.” Gannon stated, the three making their way through the camps.

“There have to be some left… Why aren’t they attacking?” Twilight asked nervously.

“Probably cause’ their boss wants to fight us.” Anne stated squinting, looking at the gold colored figure up ahead in the camp. “That him?

The princess could focus on things in the distance better after her eye replacement and could make out some details. He was wearing highly polished and well sculpted armor, wasn’t clear if it was made of gold or gold plated but it looked very unique. A large sword made from what was once a car bumper was in his grip.

The trio approached the man as he stood there, his helmet carved into the face of a bearded man with dark eyes and a horned helmet all in one.

“You are an Envoy of Vegas, but you aren’t from that city of thieves and cowards.” He said in a voice that sent shivers down the spine of those who heard it. “I am Legate Lanius, and you will come no further.”

“Ceaser too scared to come down here himself?” Anne asked smugly and she crossed her arms over her chest, not letting her nervousness to show in front of this enemy.

“He is above the petty fights of his lesser.” He stated coldly. “So I have come here to halt your way.” He stated, lifting the blade up to point at the trio.

“I guess this is the boss fight…” Anne mutters as she loaded in flechet darts into her shotgun, that armor looked thick and having a way to try and get through it would be useful.

“Which one of you shall fight me?”

“Can’t we all just fight? I don’t really like the look of that sword you have…” Anne said unsurely.

“Must have been wrong, you are of Vegas… too afraid to fight for yourself.”

Anne sighed tiredly. “Fine, I guess it’s me…”

“Why is it always you?” Twilight asks in annoyance.

“Cause I want to feel like I have the biggest stick.” She stated with a grin as she pumped the slide on her shotgun. “And this guy has a pretty big stick…”

Anne took a step forward, grinning as she approached the man, and without warning she brought up her shotgun and started firing each shell into the man. The Legate stumbled back from the close range shots, scratches against his armor and sparks off as the sharpened darts impacted against him and into the dirt behind him. Anne fired all five shots she loaded until she was pumping an empty gun that was just clicking and took a look of her work.

He was down on a knee, head facing down as heavy breathing could be heard echoing around inside his helmet. He looked up with the shadow filled eyes, getting back to his feet and lifting his sword up. “You did not think it would be that easy did you?” He asked, the smugness coming through in his voice.

“I kind of hoped so.” Anne said awkwardly, reaching behind her back to pull out the combat knife she kept strapped to the lower part of her back after so many times where she needed a knife.

The Legate let out a roar as he charged forward, bringing the huge blade around for a large swing right at her chest, Anne deftly jumping backwards to avoid the blow before diving forward under the swing to get closer so the massive weapon would be useless. But as she went to stab at his legs he brought his knee up right into her chin with a loud crack of the metal on her bone.

She fell to the ground with a grunt of pain, blood spurting from her mouth. “Ya brocke meh fhucking jaw!” She slurred out, quickly rolling out of the way along the ground to avoid the slash down where she was on the ground.

He didn’t respond, bringing his leg up to stomp on her but she rolled back the other way, slamming the blade into his other foot along the way but the armor stopped it from going all the way through.

The Legate just grunted from the stab and jumped back, watching as Anne got to her feet and clutched her bloody mouth. “I’ll fhuck ya up.” She sputtered as she stretched the fingers out of her robotic claws.

“This is all you bring to a fight? I expected more from my victory.” He stated as he brought the sword up to his shoulder again.

Anne lunged forward again, waiting just long enough for him to swing his sword again and once again went under it but instead of going for the man she brought her fist up into the base of the blade, the shotguns both going off attached to her arm and sending shattered metal upwards.

The Legate stumbled back in surprise, looking at a smug Anne and then to his broken sword where it was just a long handle with a sharp shard of metal sticking out the end. “This was given to me by Ceaser himself…” He growled.

“And me mum gave me this jaw but we’re all disappointed.” Anne stated, spitting blood to the side. “Guess without your big stick this will be easi-“

‘CRACK’

Anne blinked in surprise as a sniper shot went off, hand quickly going up to her ear as she felt the hole taken out the top and the hot blood pouring down the side of her head.

‘CRACK’

Another shot went off but this time it hit her right in the back and a splurt of blood burst from her chest as the Sniper aimed truer.

The woman stumbled forward from the impact, the Legate taking advantage of the situation and brought his handle back before slamming it right against her face, sending her flat on her ass to the floor.

Twilight let out a yell of rage seeing this, hearing Gannon start to open fire at what must have been the sniper with a plasma rifle with Twilight charged up her horn with as much energy as she could.

Lanius brought his foot up to stomp upon Anne’s skull as she lay gasping for air on the floor, but before he could bring it down there was blast of energy as a solid beam of blinding light shot right at his chest, going all the way through him, the tents behind him, the metal fort walls and quite far into the hillside behind that.

He barely got to look down in surprise at the gaping hole in his torso that was easily as thick as hoof before he slopped to the ground in a heap.

“Anne!” Twilight yelled, feeling the scotching heat come off her horn as wisps of smoke came from the bone.

“S-Stimpak…” Anne choked out, clutching at her chest where the bullet exited.

Twilight nodded, fumbling with her pockets before pulling out the needle, slamming it home into her friend’s chest and allowing the pressure inside the needle to send out its payload into her friend.

Anne kept gasping for air, but it seemed to become less labored. “T-thanks.” She said, looking over at her friend. “Why didn’t you do that in the beginning?”

Anne, Twilight and Gannon found themselves sitting around, Anne leaning against a grind stone while Twilight sat on a bench as they three just relaxed after the battle, Gannon drinking from a bottle of Nuka Cola while Anne smoked a cigarette and Twilight drank out of a bottle of whiskey.

“Done…” Anne said softly. “Hard to believe after all this time it’s finally done.”

“There’s still the NCR to deal with, with the Legion retreating General Oliver will come here…” Gannon stated, sifting around in his large and bulky armor, it didn’t look comfortable.

As if on cue a gate that went to the fort expoloded outwards, sending dust all over the place and half a dozen figures could be seen running in, NCR rangers taking place around the entrance quickly with their weapons ready for any trouble.

And after them walked in a man wearing a crisp tan green uniform, officer hat on his head and medals pinned to his chest. He walked through the cloud of dust and made his way over to the three.

“Caesar on the cross, been a long time since I've seen the kind of work you've laid down today... a damn long time. And the screams of those Legion bastards as they kicked dirt running East... like a choir of angels to my ears.” He stated, looking around the abandoned camp. “Amazing, fucking amazing. Could use a hundred of you, just scatter you over the East like jacks, give those plumed fucks the what-for.”

“Have you met my friends general?” Anne asked taking another puff of her cigarette.

He looked uneasy, looking back at the large dust cloud as it cleared. “Those your boys?” He asked awkwardly as the dust finally cleared.

There, on their single wheel, stood over three hundred Securitrons, not even the entire force, all with their weapons ready and angry solder on their screens.

The general reached into his jacket pocket but three hundred sounds of lasers charging stopped him. “Guess it ain't no secret how you, uh... I say, can you ask them to put their weapons down. Was just reaching in my coat to give you a cigar.” He asked nervously.

“General, the Dam is ours, take your NCR and leave.” Anne stated coldly, standing herself up to stand right in front of the general.

His face instantly curled into one of anger. “I would sooner spit on the grave of my dead mother than let some courier-walk-the-wasteland-fuck talk to me like that. Who the hell do you think you are? Looking to cash your chips to the sound of NCR bullets, eh? I can oblige. Look, I know you're riding high right now, but let me tell you - you ain't pissing on me right now, you're pissing on the Bear. You been far enough West I'm guessing to know how far that claw stretches. Fuck with the Bear, and... You want me to make tracks out of here, head back West, tail between our legs? No, I came for a fight today, and if you're looking to make me budge, you better have a damn good left hook or I'm not going anywhere.”

“How about I get these robots to fuck you and your entire army with a salvo of rockets?” Anne offered.

“I know what those robots of yours can do on a bad day, and I'm not eager to toss lives at them just to make a point. But if you're taking this place, you better hope you can hold it. I'll give my superiors my opinion, but I don't think they're going to listen. So if NCR comes at you, and it will, pray you're ready. I promise you, our situations reversed, I'd see you hang. Well, at least I can talk to you unlike that bastard Caesar and that plate-faced general. It'll do. Guess sometimes you get the bull, other times you get the horns. Still, at least some lives got saved this day.”

And so the Courier, who had cheated death in the cemetery outside Goodsprings and the Princess who cheated death in a shed, cheated death once again, and the Mojave Wasteland was forever changed.

The Courier and Princess, with the aid of Yes Man, drove both the Legion and the NCR from Hoover Dam, securing New Vegas' independence from both factions. With Mr. House out of the picture, part of the Securitron army was diverted to The Strip to keep order. Any chaos on the streets was ended, quickly. Chaos became uncertainty, then acceptance, with minimal loss of life. New Vegas assumed its position as an independent power in the Mojave.

Supporting the ideals of independence, the Courier was recognized as the man/woman responsible for a truly free New Vegas. He/she ensured Mr. House's tyranny was broken and neither Caesar's Legion nor NCR would ever gain control over New Vegas.

Tabitha and Rhonda went east, through Caesar's land. Occasionally tales of their exploits found their way back west, though few believed them. Eventually the stories concerning the duo were collected and published, and proved to be quite popular with children.

Though the Wasteland became anarchic after Hoover Dam, the Boomers' display of power dissuaded fortune seekers from attempting to penetrate Nellis.

Their leaders destroyed by the Courier, the Fiends scattered throughout the wasteland. Without the organization of Motor-Runner, Cook-Cook, Violet, and Driver Nephi, they were easy prey.

Arcade was proud to have been one of the defenders who helped repel the Legion from Hoover Dam. He was prouder still to see the area freed from the shackles of the NCR and Mr. House. Though independence for New Vegas was not all he hoped it could be, Arcade used his Enclave knowledge and technology to keep order wherever he could.

With New Vegas' independence formally declared, Goodsprings thrived. More travelers stopped by Goodsprings on their way to and from the Strip, and the locals grew prosperous from the traffic.

So she laughed, said fuck it all, and raised a bottle to the Dam and the ones who had fought for it. As far as she was concerned, the whole thing was proof that playing out a bad hand can pay off in the end... as long as a woman like the Courier was holding the cards.

During the Battle of Hoover Dam, the Great Khans quickly evacuated Red Rock Canyon and headed north and east into the plains of Wyoming. There, they reconnected with the Followers of the Apocalypse and rebuilt their strength. Bolstered by ancient knowledge of governance, economics, and transportation, they carved a mighty empire out of the ruins of the Northwest.

Following the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, Freeside came to be known as one of the more stable areas in the region. Ironically, NCR refugees found Freeside safer than most of the rest of New Vegas, where resentment still lingers

Though Novac was a low-priority target for the Legion, many of Novac's citizens died in its defense. In the weeks that followed, several Bright Followers returned to Novac to help restore its defenses, allowing it to remain independent of the NCR.

Invigorated by his travels with the Courier, Raul once more took up his guns in memory of his lost Rafaela. Soon after, the Mojave was filled with tales of the ghost-vaquero who hunts down those who prey on the weak.

The NCR, battered by the loss of the Dam, were unable to devote any troops to retaking the Correctional Facility from the Powder Gangers. As a result, Powder Ganger raids on caravans became an unfortunate fact of life in the Mojave for years to come.

Despite NCR's pledge to support Primm, they abandon the town after their loss to the Courier. Independent again, Primm operates much as it had before the Powder Gangs arrived, full of ups and downs.

After their bold arrival at Hoover Dam, the Remnants disappeared as quickly as they came. Legends of their power spread throughout the southwest, a reminder of why people once feared the sight of vertibirds in the sky.

And so the Courier's road came to an end... for now. In the new world of the Mojave Wasteland, fighting continued, blood was spilled, and many lived and died - just as they had in the Old World. Because war...

War never changes.

Author's Note:

This is it, the last chapter before the epilogue... It's been a long journey hasn't it everyone?

PreviousChapters Next