• Published 22nd Mar 2014
  • 11,058 Views, 956 Comments

Fallout New Vegas: Unexpected Friends - Sleepyted



Twilight gets transported to the Mojave Wasteland after a magical mishap.

  • ...
66
 956
 11,058

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42

Twilight and Waking Cloud were just leaving the Sorrows’ camp when they saw the bandaged form of Joshua stood knee deep in the stream in front of them, arms crossed across his chest and a .45 pistol on his hip.

“By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.” He said. “Remember, O Lord, the children of Eden in the day of Jerusalem who said, ‘Raze it, raze it, even to the foundation.’ O Daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed. Happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us. Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.” He said like read from a book. “Do you know what it means?”

“You don’t want to leave Zion do you?” Twilight said softly. “You want to fight back to keep your home.”

“Given those choices yes, in the best of all possible worlds, they would just leave us in peace. But they won’t. I don’t enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it’s just a chore, like any other. Practiced hands make for short work. And the good Lord knows there’s much to be done here.”

“This conversation just got pretty dark. What was that about happy… dashing the little ones?” Twilight asked awkwardly.

“Happy are those that do the work of the Lord. Zion belongs to God and the people of God. It’s a natural temple and monument to his glory. When our Lord entered the temple and found it polluted by money-changers and beasts, did he ask them to leave? Did he cry? Did he simply walk away? No. He drove them out. It is one thing to forgive a slap across my cheek, but an insult to the Lord requires… no, it demands correction.”

“I’ll… think about it…” Twilight said.

“I and the Dead Horses are prepared to do what must be done to protect Zion from the White Legs. And though Daniel won’t accept it yet, there are many Sorrows who are also prepared. They may not be warriors but this is their home. If you have a chance to speak with Daniel about this, ask him to consider defending Zion instead of abandoning it. He has good intentions, but I fear if we evacuate the Sorrows from this place it will be lost to them, and us, forever.” He said before walking off.

After walking for a few hours Twilight and her new companion had made it to a cave that Waking Cloud said held the map, but looked very uneasy as they neared it. “We should not be here… This place… it belongs to the Father in the Caves! We must not profane it with our touch!” She said as they entered, the tribal woman looking around fearfully like the rocks themselves would punish her for being this close.

“What are you talking about?”

“The Father in the Caves! The Holy Father who gave the Sorrows His succor and gave the New Canaanites his son. Many of the caves around the valley are sacred to him, and those who would trespass are punished by holy wrath.”

“I understand. I’ll respect your beliefs, then, but we need to look in the cave for a map.” Twilight said softly, looking up at the woman. “We need to, it’ll help save the lives of your people.”

She let out a sad sigh. “I understand, I would prefer to leave here as soon as possible though.” She said slightly fearfully.

They continue to walk inside, glowing mushrooms growing from the damp walls, moss covering the ground and rocks around them and every now and again a crack going to the surface let light come into the otherwise dark cavern.

Not liking the level of light Twilight let her horn start to glow, putting small amounts of magic into her aching horn and directing it into a beam in front of her.

Continuing to walk in they entered a large cavern, vines hanging from the ceiling and large plants growing through the rocks and on dirt that had built up over the years.

A sound echoed slightly in the cavern, the sound of a rattling hiss that got adrenaline flowing through the two’s veins.

“Mantis.” Cloud said, flexing the fingers of the bear hand she wore over her own.

Twilight pulled out Benny’s old 9mm pistol and held it at the ready as she walked in.

Moments later a large green praying mantis with its clear wings jumped out from behind a large rock embedded in the ground. It didn’t get to move much more before a large crack rocked out and the gun kicked in Twilight’s magic, the mantis’ green blood spewing from the gaping hole that appeared in its carapace covered body.

A few more hisses came from other places in the cavern and another mantis came running at the pair, Cloud lunging at the thing with her bear claw in mid swing, all but cutting the bug in half with the single swing.

Just as Twilight was aiming at another mantis a large glob of green goop landed right next to her and when the splash hit her she let out a yelp and jumped out of the way as it burnt her fur off and reddened the skin underneath.

Looking in the direction of where the gob came from she saw nothing but plants on a ridge, confused at what did that. Just as Twilight was looking away she spotted movement and jumped out of the way as another acidic projectile came flying at her. Spotting what did it her eyes widened as she realized it was actually the PLANTS that were doing it, large fly traps opening their large mutated maws and spitting out acid.

Aiming at the plants above them while Cloud took care of the manties Twilight started to shoot, the distance making it a little hard for her and a lot of her shots missed them but one lucky one hit the stem and killed it instantly.

Going to the second one she reloaded and started firing again, hitting the ‘head’ of the plant enough times to make it stop moving and go limp.

Looking around for any more plants she saw none but spotted Cloud flicking her claw to the side as she tried to get the dark green blood off her weapon of choice. “You alright?”

“Yes, they just scratched my leg but it will heal.” Waking Cloud said stretching her back.

Nodding affirmatively Twilight started to look around, hearing nothing else inside the cave system.

Flapping her wings and jumping off the ground to look around she spotted a small tunnel that had been blocked off with a wooden wall and door. “Follow me.” Twilight said flying back to the ground with Cloud and making her way towards the wooden door.

While walking up a rock slope and about to jump up a naturally made step with tried and dead sticks at the base and top Cloud grabbed the collar of Twilight’s clothing and yanked her back. “Wait, look.” Cloud said pointing at the sticks on top of the step.

Looking in confusion for a few moments at what she was meant to see Twilight’s eyes widened as she spotted the barrel of a shot gun pointing out right where her head would have been. Moving a few of the sticks away at the bottom of the stair the tribal exposed a long strip of string that went up and to the gun.

“That would have fired the weapon.” Cloud said making sure to step over the string before going up the step and to the top. Kneeling down by the shot gun she used one of the razor sharp claws to cut the string and make it stop from firing.

Twilight just flew over the step and headed to the nearby door, twisting the knob and finding that it was locked. With a flash of her horn there was a click and she tried again, this time it opened.

Walking in they spotted another pile of twigs and sticks, the reddish brown of the rust covering the bear traps inside it standing out a fair amount. Besides the trap by the door inside was a small wooden shack made inside the cave, most of the walls not there and no roof for there was no need for one in a cave.

While Cloud got sticks from the piles and started to disarm the bear traps by pressing the plates in the middle Twilight went to the tiny shack with no doors.

Inside wasn’t much, a table with an old computer Twilight didn’t know how to use, an old bed roll covered in dust and dirt and a duffle bag next to the bedroll. Opening it up and peaking though Twilight saw a lot of energy cells inside, hundreds in fact. Grabbing quite a few for herself she also found a map inside which she pocketed.

“I got what we need, let’s get out of here.” Twilight said seeing Cloud finish up the last of the traps so anyone who wanders in doesn’t die from the traps set around the place.

“Good, let’s move onto the next thing.”

As Twilight and Cloud were walking along and headed towards a group of the mutated bears Yao Guai they needed to clear out a scout from the dead horses made his way towards Twilight. “Your friend has wakened.” He said in very bad English. “She help kill White Legs’ camp.”

“Anne’s awake?” Twilight said excitedly, happy that her friend was doing alright.

“Yus, she help.” He said as he made his way away again.

“Yes! Anne’s alive and well it sounds like.” Twilight said grinning widely as Cloud lead her to a river called Pine Creek which she said had the bears at.

“See? I told you she would make it, she strong willed.” Cloud said smiling faintly as they walked along the road.

After twenty minutes of walking Cloud got her claw at the ready. “We almost there. Be careful.” She warned.

Twilight nodded, flapping her wings and hovering in the air as she brought out her laser rifle and flew next to Cloud as they walked.

A loud roar filled the air and three Yao Guai came running towards them, skin sickly and irradiated.

Aiming carefully Twilight’s rifle kicked each time she pulled the trigger, a beam of red light shooting out the end of the barrel and impacted the bears.

The first shot landed a lucky hit on one and it instantly turned to a pile of ash. The next few shots missed before another hit, impacting against its knee and leaving a nasty burn on it and making it fall over with a howl of pain.

The next was shot four times in its chest before it collapsed before them, the one on the ground getting finished off quickly by cloud running her claws across its neck.

“They are finished.” Cloud said standing back up and flicking the thick red blood from her clawed glove.

“What else is there for us to do?” Twilight asked changing the energy charge in her laser rifle.

“With your friend clearing out their camps the only thing left to do is disarm the traps that the White Legs are leaving on bridges we’ll have to use.”

Twilight and Cloud were walking down the road again, Twilight tired and sore from all the walking she had been doing lately, her hooves and legs burning. She couldn’t wait to get back to New Vegas, into the Royal Suite, to lay down on an actual bed considering that most beds she had slept on so far were just mattresses on the ground or dried leafs.

“How much longer till we reach the bridge?” Twilight asked tiredly.

“Not too much longer, any White Legs that are there we need to clear out.” Cloud said with a small nod as they walked, the tribal not seeming to have any trouble with the heat of the shining sun above them or all the walking they were doing.

“How many White Legs will there be?” Twilight asked.

“There will be a trapping party, maybe eight in to-”

‘CRACK’

Cloud’s sentence was cut off and finished with a yelp of pain as she collapsed to the ground clutching her bleeding shoulder, eyes wide in surprise.

Quickly looking around Twilight saw a White leg on a cliff with a rifle in his hands, racking the bolt as he got ready to fire another shot. Quickly the pony brought up a shield bubble around the two of them, horn glowing intensely as another shot impacted against it.

“I-It’s an ambush!” Twilight yelled in shock, the heavy use of her magic making her mentally tired and her magic weak.

It only took a few more bullets before the bubble shattered and the bullet that had done it impacting against Twilight’s leg, causing her to crumple to the side in agony as the burning filled up her leg.

A few White Legs climbed out from behind bushes and rocks, a few having large axes while others having firearms of different types.

“Glahb ni kahn meer dah ah?” One called out before all of them laughed.

One approached the wounded Twilight, pointing a sawn off double barrel shotgun. “Shtairb.” He said, the princess clenching her eyes as she got ready for what was approaching.

‘CRACK’

Twilight slowly opened her eyes after a few moments and no pain of her head turning into a mush in the dirt. She managed to see the White Leg collapse to the ground with a new hole in the middle of his head.

“Shaiss!”

“Eh hahj!”

‘CRACK’

“Ugh!”

Another White Leg yelled out, the one on the cliff that shot Twilight and Cloud, clutching his neck as he fell off and landed with a meaty thud.

“Hey fuck faces!” A female’s voice could be heard from another cliff edge, everyone looking up.

Anne was stood there, large insane grin on her face. “Got a gift for you ass hats.” She said pulling up two .45 automatic sub machine guns, each one holding a drum magazine.

The air suddenly filled with the sound of constant gunfire, each gun shooting a hail of bullets down upon the White Legs tribals down below, cutting into flesh and splitting though bone.

Blood splattered onto the dirt, a few of the White Legs trying to run away in fear of the crazed woman but they too were cut down like long grass on a lawn.

It wasn’t long till Anne had run out of bullets and the guns were just clicking in her hands.

“Hey Twilight!” Anne called out waving her arm above her head, gun still in hand.

“Anne, you’re alright!” Twilight called out happily, clutching at her bleeding limb.

“Of course! The world can’t survive without me!”

Author's Note:

Hey guys.

Sorry I haven't been around lately, I got a second job and that eats a lot of time when you have two. but I forced myself to set back time and write another chapter. It might not be one of my best chapters but I wanted to get the story moving again.

Till next time
Sleepyted

PreviousChapters Next