• Published 22nd Mar 2014
  • 11,055 Views, 956 Comments

Fallout New Vegas: Unexpected Friends - Sleepyted



Twilight gets transported to the Mojave Wasteland after a magical mishap.

  • ...
66
 956
 11,055

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12

“Hey Anne?” Twilight called as she looked through a medic box bolted to the wall of the kitchen.

“Yea Twi- watch it!” Anne tried to answer but turned her attention to Beagle who was busy bandaging her burnt body.

“I’m trying my best.” Beagle hissed as he was finishing tying the last strip of gauze around Anne’s bicep.

Anne had be able to peel her light metal armor off the top part of her body and had Beagle help her cover up the second and third degree burns over her torso. Her once only slightly dirty white hair tied into a bun behind her head was now shoddily cut to get out the burnt parts.

“I think I may have found clean water.” Twilight said, floating out a slightly crumpled plastic bottle of clear water.

“Chuck it here.” Anne said, holding out a hand.

Twilight threw the bottle to Anne as she caught it and looked it over. “Yea, that’s purified water alright, nice find, drink it now if you want.” Anne said, throwing it back at Twilight.

Twilight felt like offering it to Anne but due to the fact that the only water she had in the past few days was more like mud she fumbled to open the cap before greedily gulping down the clean water, stopping moments later because of a coughing fit.

“Easy there, it’s not going anywhere so take it slow, it’d probably be the cleanest stuff you’ll drink for the next few weeks.” Anne said, hissing as Beagle wiped an alcohol covered rag over a bad looking burn.

Twilight smiled sheepishly as she began drinking again but this time much slower, making sure she didn’t choke.

“Beagle, we going to go clear out the rest of the building.” Anne stated.

Beagle stopped bandaging Anne and looked around nervously, fidgeting slightly. “S-sure.” He said, fearing for his life.

“That’s what I wanted to say, go wait outside for Twilight and I and we’ll talk later.” She said, patting him on the shoulder as he let out a relieved sigh.

“Thank you.” He said softly, continuing his treating of Anne’s burns.

She spoke a little loader so Twilight could hear her clearly. “That means that you and I princess need to go upstairs and do some spring cleaning.” Anne said.

“You have spring here too?” Twilight asked, wondering what to do with her now empty plastic bottle.

Anne held out a hand at Twilight for the empty bottle which the pony handed over. Anne spun the empty water bottle in her hand before casually tossing it to the side. Twilight followed the bottle’s path as it bounced off the table and to the other side of the room.

“Aye, but no one can really tell, it constantly seems like summer here.” Anne answered.

“And done.” Beagle said, wiping his hands on his sides as he stood up.

“Much obliged.” Anne said, standing up.

All of the burns on Anne’s body were now covered in old brown rags made from the matrasses in the main room the now dead convicts were once in, a large bandage going across the whole top half of her torso, a smaller one around her bicep, and a last one around her left hand. Knowing the discomfort she was about to experience Anne grabbed the sides of her peeled back armor and started to slip it back onto her body. “God, I feel like I’m made of leather.” Anne said, rolling her shoulders.

“Shouldn’t you stop wearing that thing while you’re recovering from the burns?” Twilight asked with worry in her tone.

“Yep, but a few scars won’t stop me, unless they cause me to lose all my limbs, that’ll just slow me down a bit.” Anne said, grabbing her bag and slinging it over her shoulder, wincing as the strap dug into her slightly burnt shoulder.

Twilight didn’t look convinced but decided to go with it for now, she didn’t know how much humans could take and from the way Anne handled the bullet wound before it seemed like they could take a fair amount. Thinking about it Twilight wondered how many bones they had in their body, was it a lot or not that many? With every human having a lot of fingers they would have had quite a few. What about the muscles? How many of those do humans have?

“Hello, Anne to Twilight, you there?” Twilight was brought out of her daydreaming by Anne snapping her fingers in front of her muzzle.

“Yea, I’m here, I was just thinking.” Twilight said, shaking her head.

“Thinking about what?” Anne asked, sitting herself on the kitchen table.

“Umm, thinking about human’s anatomy.” Twilight replied.

“What part? Circulatory system, skeletal system, respiratory system, digestive system, muscular system.” Anne paused for a bit before wiggling her eyebrows at Twilight. “Reproductive system?”

Twilight blushed, blurting out the first thing that came to mind. “Skeletal!” She yelled. “Yes, the skeletal system.” She finished, looking around nervously.

Anne smiled brightly, jumping off the table and holding her arms out. “Well I’d be more than happy to tell you about that.” She said, clearing her throat.

“Fourteen bones make up my face, a cranial bone surrounding empty space, no that’s not right it protects my brains now where was I let’s start again.” She sung, her voice going higher than she normally talked.

“Twenty-two bones under my hair, three osicals inside each ear, the highway bone is in my throat, who knew that let’s make a note.”

“Twenty-six vertebrae in my spine, twenty-four ribs in this chest of mine, my sternum keeps them all apart, they protect my lungs and my heart.” She sung, pointing at her different parts of her body as she did.

“Two bones in each shoulder, front and back. Three in each arm, it’s the muscles I lack. Eight carpals make up each of my wrists and five metacarpals make our list. Twenty-eight phalanges in our fingers and thumbs, forty-four bones left, still not done. One cox is a hip, one femur’s a thigh and two patella’s or kneecaps, my oh my.”

Anne lifted up her leg and slapped her calves. “Tibia and fibular in each shin, tibia’s fat and fibular’s thin. Each ankle has seven tarsal bones, twist them sprain them, hear them groan. Ten metatarsals in the balls of my feet, twenty-eight phalanges in my toes, that’s so neat.”

“How many bones is that you ask? Well add them up and complete the task.”

“Two hundred and six.” Twilight finished.

“Wow, I can’t believe I was able to remember that.” Anne said, letting out a sigh and slumping down to the floor.

“Do you know one about muscles?” Twilight asked, having enjoyed Anne’s improvised song.

“Nope, just that one, but come back to me in a few months and I might have something.” Anne said, rubbing her face before looking at Twilight. “Now, are we going upstairs or not? My back’s starting to feel a little bit cramped.” Anne said, emphasizing her point by stretching her back, a series of loud popping sounds.

Twilight winced slightly at the noise. “I guess, what are we going to find up there?”

“Convicts, that’s a given, and hopefully a bunch of loot, I haven’t been paid for the past few days and we’re starting to run low on medical supplies and caps, and without caps we can’t get any of the medical supplies we need.” Anne said, walking over to her discarded varmint rifle and taking out its empty magazine.

“I’m starting to run out of those bullet things for my… gun thing.” Twilight said, pulling out her gun from its holster and pointing it at Anne for her to look at.

Both Anne and Beagle ducked as the pistol was pointed at them, the female of which felt her hand reach down to her own gun but stopped when she gripped its handle. “Whoa, be careful where you point that thing.” Anne said, letting go of her own gun’s grip and grabbing Twilights floating pistol.

“What? I’m not going to pull the trigger thing.” Twilight asked confused.

“But we didn’t know that, for all we knew could have been trying to paint the walls with our brains. Rule number one of trigger discipline is never point a gun, loaded or empty, at anything you are not one hundred percent sure you’re ready to shoot at.” Anne said, looking over the gun, finding that two bullets were left inside.

Twilight’s ears flattened down, slinking back slightly. “S-sorry.” She apologized.

“Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us.” Anne said, holding out the gun in her grasp back to its owner. “And for your ammo problem, I’m sure one of the guys I… well, blew up might have some nine millimeter rounds on them, just have a look in their pockets.” She said as the gun was floated out of her hands.

Twilight’s grasp on the gun faltered as it fell to the ground, clanking as it did. “W-what?” She stuttered.

“Look them over, take anything that’s useful.” Anne elaborated.

“B-but isn’t t-that wrong?” Twilight asked uncertainly.

“Well yea, it is, but masturbating is wrong but we all still do that, isn’t that right Deputy?”

“Fuck you.”

Twilight would have responded if it wasn’t the massive blush on her face and the fact she was trying to hide behind her mane.

“Now, if you done with asking questions start trying to find the right caliber ammunition you need, remember, nine millimeter, anything bigger it won’t fit and anything smaller will just fall out.” Anne said, walking into the large room filled with the convicts corpses.

Twilight hesitantly followed her into the room, having to turn her attention away from the mush that was once trying to shoot at her.

“I think I might have overdone it a bit with the explosives.” Anne said, rubbing the back of her head.

“That’s an understatement.” Beagle said, walking past the bodies and leaving the two.

“Which part of them do you think would have the most stuff on it?” Anne wondered aloud, thinking if it would be better looking over the solitary leg or the small pile of entrails.

“I don’t think I can do this Anne.” Twilight said, swallowing down the bile rising in her throat.

“You’re going to have to learn to put up with it if you’re going to be in the Mojave for any extended period of time. I’ll give you a tip, and this may sound cliché but just try not to think about it. I still get sick to my stomach whenever I have to shoot, stab or kill someone, no matter how long I’ve been doing it, the best thing you can do is just try to forget about it and it’ll help you sleep better at night.” Anne said sadly, kneeling down in front of Twilight, resting a hand on her shoulder.

Twilight stood silent for a few moments before letting out a large exhale. “I-I’ll try my best.” Twilight said, turning her attention to the fullest out of the dead bodies and approaching it.

“Wait.” Anne said, going over to the body Twilight was stood near before kneeling down and closed the dead convict’s eyes. “You never want to look the dead in the eyes.” Anne warned.

Twilight nodded slowly and looked back at the body, its bloody stump where its knee was once having stopped oozing blood a while ago. Magically Twilight began pulling things from the convict’s pockets. A broken plastic spoon, an empty needle, a few of the caps Anne wanted her to get and a half filled box of the bullets she needed, leaving the first two on the dead convict. Once done Twilight couldn’t be more relieved, she all but sprinted away from the corpse back into the kitchen, hyperventilating. Once she calmed herself down she grabbed the nearly empty magazine and began to put the new bullets into it.

“Hey, Princess, take a look at this!” She heard Anne yell from the main room.

Twilight turned around, confused at first but then giving the woman a deadpan expression. “Really? Isn’t that a little big for you?”

Anne couldn’t help but give Twilight a massive smile, looking over the incinerator in her two-handed grip. “I at least want to try this out.” Anne said, a small flame springing to life at the end of the incinerator’s barrel.

“Oh, this is going to suck.”

Author's Note:

I wrote this while on a flight, a person asking me to stop because I was 'Typing too loud'. Where else was I meant to write? Did that guy ever go into a toilet on a plane? They are awful and a seven year old was in it the entire time?

...

Sorry, just needed to get that out of my mind.

While I was playing Fallout New Vegas that fight between the convict leader was extremely short because that guy throwing TNT blew everyone up, me popping around cover and firing my shotgun where I thought the leader was but only found a single upright leg and later found the rest of the body slumped over that brahmen cooking over the fire.

So till next time
Sleepyted

PreviousChapters Next