• Published 22nd Mar 2014
  • 4,261 Views, 55 Comments

Choose Your Own Adventure: Maud's Education - Palm Palette



Maud needs to round out her rock science major with a liberal arts minor. Help her choose what to study.

  • ...
3
 55
 4,261

(3)

“...fashion,” Maud said.

“Rock science and fashion? Well, I guess there's no accounting for somepony's tastes. I guess you must be into jewelry then?” the receptionist asked as she compiled the information packets into a folder for Maud.

“Only if it has rocks.”

“You mean gemstones, right?”

“All rocks are gifts from the earth.” Maud dug her snout into her right pocket (her left pocket was home of Boulder, her pet rock) and pulled out a gravel necklace. The rocks were misshapen, uneven, and all different colors of gray and darker gray. “I like this one. It reminds me of the farm.”

The mauve unicorn frowned and magiced over the folder. “Well, good luck with that. You're going to need it. Zirconia has a bit of a grudge against 'ugly ducklings' if you know what I mean. If you're still feeling up to it, you'll find her at Newpony Hall. Rock science is hosted at the Geodome, but I guess you already know that.”

“Thanks.” Maud grabbed the floating folder and opened it to pull out a map of the school. Newpony Hall was actually right in front of her. The receptionist’s table was right in front of it. Maud gave a flat glance at the mauve mare before walking past her and stepping inside.

“–supposed to know that the fashion instructor had a freaky knowledge of historical fashion trends?”

Maud nearly blundered into a pink pony that was grumbling to herself and pushing a cart of dresses.

“Hey, watch it!”

“Are you Zirconia?” Maud asked.

“Do I look like a zebra? Oh! Heh heh.” The pink pony dropped her scowl and smiled. “Sorry if I seemed a bit rude there. If you're looking for Zirconia then you must be an aspiring fashion designer just like myself. My name's Suri Polomare and if you stick with me then I bet we can both go far together.”

“Suri? I'm Maud Pie, your roommate.”

“What? No way!” Suri's eyes sparkled and she made a huge grin. “That's even better! Why, I'm sure we'll be the bestest friends in no time at all.” She pulled Maud in for a less-than-appreciated hug.

“I don't really know you,” Maud deadpanned.

“Now don't be that way. I'm sure we have plenty in common that we can bond over. Why we both have a love of fashion and, um, purple hair, and–”

“I'm majoring in rock science. My real passion is rock farming.”

“Oh.” Suri cast her eyes back and forth then looked up again. “Well, you wouldn't be here if you weren't at least a little interested in fashion and sharing your exquisite designs with the rest of the world. Am I right, or am I right? Say, how about–” Suri leaned in like she was about to share a dirty secret.

Maud pushed her away. “I should take the placement test. We can chat later.”

“Well.” Suri straightened out her plaid blue scarf. “There's no need to be pushy. We're all friends here. Speaking of which, from one good friend to another, Zirconia takes a realistic and pragmatic approach to fashion. You won't get far with her if you describe fashion on idealistic terms like 'expressing oneself.' To her, it's all about the results and making ponies look fabulous. Just keep this piece of advice in mind from your good friend Suri when you talk to her, m'kay?”

Suri winked at Maud, who stared blankly back at her. Maud left the hallway and entered the classroom.

Zirconia was rather odd looking for a pony, but that's probably because she was zebra. Her coat was a mix of white and black stripes and her cutie mark looked like a diamond with a swirl around it. She wore numerous gold bracelets around her ankles and neck, had huge gold earrings, and wore a dazzling headdress of feathers and sparkling white gems.

“Another student, I presume? Is that who enters this classroom?”

“Yes, I'm Maud Pie. I'd like to minor in fashion.”

Zirconia walked up to inspect Maud. She didn't look too impressed with the plain gray-blue dress and rock necklace she wore. “So tell me, drab pony of plain tones, what is with this necklace of stones?”

“I made it myself from rocks on the farm.”

“Made from sentimental value, I see. It's still better than dresses from ancient history. I have a question, before we begin. What's the meaning of fashion?—give that your best spin.”

How should Maud answer that?

Fashion is rocks.
Fashion is about expressing oneself.
Fashion is about making ponies look fabulous.