• Published 22nd Mar 2014
  • 4,244 Views, 55 Comments

Choose Your Own Adventure: Maud's Education - Palm Palette



Maud needs to round out her rock science major with a liberal arts minor. Help her choose what to study.

  • ...
3
 55
 4,244

(14)

Maud Pie searched through the cabinets until she found a deep-dish baking tray. She added noodles, cheese, some tomato sauce, a layer of gravel, and more noodles and cheese on top to fill out the tray. Lastly, she added her special casserole sauce and topped everything off with water. The dry noodles would absorb most of that while it was baking. Properly prepared, she covered the dish with foil, turned on the oven and shoved it in.

It took an hour to cook and when she pulled it out it was steaming hot with a mineral aroma. Taste Explosion gave it an odd look. He hadn't watched her prepare it so he wasn't sure quite what to expect. When it cooled off enough, Maud scooped out a serving for him to taste.

Not knowing any better, he stuck his fork in it and took a bite. His eyes popped open in surprise as he struggled to chew through the sample. “It's... crunchy.”

“Well it is rock casserole.” Maud scooped out a bite and crunched it down herself. “Your tomato sauce is a bit salty but this isn't much different from the casserole I make back home.”

“Rocks...” Taste swallowed his bite, probably to his regret. “You don't mean actual rock rocks, right? That's just a nickname for something else, right?”

“No. It's made from real rocks.”

Taste Explosion gave the deepest frown and poked at an exposed rock with his fork. “Shouldn't that break teeth?”

“I cooked it.”

“You... you can cook rocks?”

“Yes.”

“And they're actually edible?”

“They're still rocks.”

Taste explosion stared at her, as if daring her to break her composure and reveal the joke. Maud's expression never faltered. He'd have had better luck trying to stare down the moon.

“Are you serious?” he asked.

“I'm Maud Pie.”

Taste Explosion broke out into boisterous laughter and clutched at his sides. A tear ran down his face. “Oh my goodness, rock casserole made from real rocks! I can't say much for the flavor but it's just so absurd that ponies might actually like it—sort of like an extreme eating sport. Well, you've passed my test. You're welcome to study here and we'll make a proper chef out of you yet.”

Yay.

Start over?