• Published 25th Mar 2014
  • 1,877 Views, 39 Comments

The Wanderer - Saturn104

  • ...
9
 39
 1,877

5: Pains of the Past

I was a simple man back home; having an old rusty red pickup and vitamin D deficiency. On occasion, I would overcome this depression and run off into the woods, eager to see something new. I'd shrug off the pain with alcohol or humor, placing a goofy grin over the ever-present frown. I'd stare at the bottom of another bottle every night. Ashamed of myself, I'd stumble to bed. Rinse and repeat, every night.

The house which I had built with my own two hands would turn six today. It would've fully settled in the clay it sat upon, making it ready for selling. I had planned to move from the house, as it held so many memories, but that would be running from my problems and Dad would be disappointed. But Dad has been gone for three years and Mom for two.

I envied their relationship, having the time to have a child then grow old together. I envied their happiness and I envied their luck. They were High School Sweethearts, much like Amber and I; having found love early. They were able to relish in it, have a happy relationship, and die in peace.

Some said that we weren't meant to be, Amber and myself; that fate decided it shouldn't happen. But I digress, fate does not kill blindly. However, I do believe it picks favorites.

And I have always been the red-headed stepchild in terms of luck. Murphy's Law was a bouncer, keeping me out from life's many joys. I'd scratch, hiss, and bite but could never do more than see other people basking in it. I sat outside the club of life with many others, many of them I called my friends.

I found Amber, she helped me up and showed me people. I built a ladder from the trust of others. I was able to see it better, the light it was blinding. It was the kind of light that hit your skin and made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And it did, I felt amazing, but like all good things, It didn't last. The ladder began to fall apart, as people changed a rung disappeared. Soon enough the entire thing was gone and I sat on the cold hard ground once again.

I was alone, with a rusty old pickup and vitamin D deficiency. So I drowned my sorrows in alcohol and covered it up with a mask. Then I arrived here, a place that gave me purpose and responsibility.

I was truly at a loss for words, sitting in my lucid dreamscape. I had become aware I was dreaming some time ago, so I took advantage of that and built an environment in which I could meditate; a little white room full of pillows. It was comfortable, and quiet. So I rolled in it, soon to drift off into slumber... while sleeping.

---

I had woken before sunrise, so I decided it was best to prepare the necessary survival tools and doohickeys. While doing said chores I took in the beautiful scene around me with my good old high definition bio-cameras.

The fire provided a beautiful amber glow, illuminating my hands so I could gaze upon them.

My hands, unlike every other part of my body, had the single most amount of character in them, each scar and callus had a story to tell. I looked a rather large gash at the end of my left pointer, chuckling while I remembered my mother's reaction as her twelve year-old came running inside with his hand covered in blood. Another scar which I had gotten more recently on my right hand gleamed with ridgeless scar tissue. It sat on the edge of my palm opposite to the thumb. I had told everyone who asked that it was a slip up while peeling potatoes, but the embarrassing truth was that I got it while sliding down a steel slide that was a mite too small for me. Surely my face had turned red over this, as every time it was brought up a truckload of red hot embarrassment was dropped on me.

I picked up the black enchanted backpack and placed it in my lap, despite its contents it weighed next to nothing compared to what it should. Upon taking inventory, I soon found that all my things were in their place. I had everything from climbing gear to a wind up alarm that worked so well that it was questionable as to why I kept it. However, it still boggled my mind how I couldn't get my staff into the bag, and I was rather tired of chalking it up as 'magic'.

I looked at the six foot eight inch wonder, memories of its creation came rushing back...

My dad looked at me with uncertainty in his eyes, "Ya sure yer up for that Tom?"

"Of course I am," I returned and adjusted my accent to that of a man who'd spent twenty odd years in a castle as the king of England. "Was there ever any doubt?"

My father and I shared a laugh, then I returned focus to my chisel...

I smiled, I had good memories of my teen years; a perfect child to my parents and rather level headed man to the rest.

The staff had served about ten years, ten good long years and it held up just fine. Saving my ass in countless numbers of situations, and now, adorned with an enchanted gem, it is capable of launching things great distances.

The oak it was made from had patterns burnt and carved into it. At its top, under the hemp weaving, was a symbol. That symbol had been added about a year ago when I had discovered the show, and still the fact that I was now in it excited me to no end.

Attempting for the second time to force the staff into the bag, I soon found the effort would die in vain as my struggle was hopeless. I, however refuse to give this one up in the name of science and human curiosity (because I am no scientist). I decided to ask the unicorn whom provided me with the magical logic defying bag at some point.

Upon ending that thought, a wooden sentience rose from his snooze and gracefully made his perch on my shoulder.

"You're up early, any reason for that?" asked the bird.

"I had a lucid dream and fell asleep inside it."

"You attempted to sleep while sleeping?" He asked, bewildered.

"Yep," I answered. "And that equates to waking up in the real world. Fancy that."

Celestia began to work her magic; the sun rose from the eastern horizon slowly, triggering a song to play in my head as it did.

"Goddammit nature," I grumbled in my mind. "Why are you so awesome?"

Soon enough the rest of the party woke to see the beautiful star being lifted into place. Aside from a certain pegasus, who grumbled something and rolled over in her bedroll.

"Not a morning per- pony are you? In my group we'll have none of that!" I rubbed my hands together and put on a devilish grin.

Using the pot in my pack, I ran over to the river and filled it with the icy morning water. Now, some may call me fiend for this, but I had the backing of the rest of the groggy group. And soon they would see a very very pissed off pony.

"C'mon Dust! Rise and shine!" I warned before attack, 'twas common courtesy after all.

*Splash*

"AH! Hu-Wha- TOMAS I'M GONNA KILL YOU!"

"Oh god my si- Wait what? OH SHI-" was all I could get out before a very wet pegasus tackled me.

Kicking and screaming, we rolled down the hill towards the water. However neither party knew, one blinded by rage and another regretting past decisions and praying to whatever entity to help him. The group simply watched as Lightning Dust and I crashed or rather splashed into the frigid water. Angry cries turned to laughter and a death grip became a hug, a soggy yet warm hug.

I held Lightning Dust for as long as she held me, as it was ungentlemanly of one to release before the other party. But she didn't let go, instead she held on with a smile on her face. So I decided to carry her out of the river, for I technically was the one who had put her there.

She was light, despite being soaked and warm, with a very rapid heartbeat compared to my own. And something about carrying her up that hill sparked a little flame that had long since been out.

"You can let go now," she said almost reluctantly as we reached the camp. I did as told and let her go. Unfolding her wings, she gracefully glided back to the ground.

"You two are so cu-" began the griffon.

"Oi," I spat, mimicking Euwin's accent. "Shu' up if ya know what's good for you." I made a hand gesture to emphasize my point.

The aquamarine pegasus' cheeks were a deep shade of crimson, matching my own. Euwin chuckled, rolling his bedroll with his magic.

" 'e's right, you two are qui'e adorable. That aside, who's 'ungry?"

---

The sun was high in the sky by the time be set out, following the little dirt path south by Euwins compass and by my map. Judging by our pace, I estimated that we'd be able to see Ghastly Gorge by nightfall and in the morning head east to the ruins. However, the chances of us getting jumped by some mythical creature escalated dramatically the further we walked.

Just then, there was a rustle in the bushes and a low growl, "Speak of the Devil and he shall appear..."

An entire pack of Timberwolves emerged from the brush, numbers ranging from somewhere between ten and fifteen. They closed in on us, blocking us on all sides to form an oddly shaped circle. Licking their wooden chops, they prepared to lunge.

But much to their dismay, we were prepared.

"Golem! Dust! To the sky!" I shouted and the two did as instructed. But by the time I returned focus to those on land, the battle had already begun.

Dom had both daggers sunk into the back of a beast who was desperately trying to buck him off. Lightning Dust rained long arrows down, skewering their chests and pinning them to the ground. Euwin stood like a soldier, his head dropped low to avoid a swipe then counter with his own. Tobias stood tall with wings unfolded, a greatsword in his claws. And I... got tackled by one of the wolves.

"Gah! Shit!" I cried, holding back the jaws of the monster. Despite the flurry of thoughts induced by adrenaline, one stood out among the rest: "Hold on Tomas, I'm on my way."

Suddenly a familiar wooden bird swooped down, sinking his talons into the face of the dog attacking me. With a pump of his wings, Golem pulled the gems from the Timberwolf's oaken skull. It collapsed into a pile of sticks on top of me.

"Guys! Go for the eyes! If you separate them from the rest of the body, they crumble!"

A crack resounded throughout the woods as Euwin's hammer connected with the head of one of the wolves. "Two down, nine to go."

Golem shot down from the heavens once again, embedding then ripping his claws from the beast's face, "Eight!" He added to the count.

Lightning Dust had heard my instructions and had started aiming for the head. For each arrow that connected, a new pile of firewood was made. "Seven, Six, Five!" She sounded a little bit too happy.

Dom took one of the knives out of his ride's back and carved both gems out with a quick movement, "Four!"

Two wolves lunged at me simultaneously, I ducked causing them both to comically headbut. Both fell to the ground in a daze, so I made quick work of them with my steel-toe boots. "Three and Two!"

Tobias however, had to one up me. "One," he said smugly, lobbing the head off of the last wolf.

"Well done guys, I think we could stop here for the night," I began. Despite being full of adrenaline, I took into consideration that the others might not be as spry.

"Hell no!" Tobias spat, throwing his sword down. "I think I speak for all of us when I say: We aren't done yet." The rest 'uh-huh'ed and grunted in agreement. This was big for me. Others who shared my need for adventure, others who wanted to see everything the small world had to offer. It put me on the brink of tears.

"I guess we should continue then, huh?" With much enthusiasm in my voice

"Woo!" Cried the group.

---

Wind began to grow cold as the sky darkened. Stars shone over the dusk light, slowly becoming brighter. Crickets had started their masterpiece about an hour ago, and painfully so, they were getting rather annoying. But my group trekked on through the woods on a narrowing path.

In my pack, twenty-two gems glowed as they were jostled around, producing an near melodic clacking. I wondered what I would do with them, as the pony I had pawned off my first set to was now a member of my team. I decided to put off the thought until bedtime, as that was the time in which my mind was most active.

And bedtime did come soon, upon reaching a clearing a campfire was put in place and bedrolls were immediately out. Dom did as he normally did, and ducked his head and body inside the bag with ears only visible. Tobias removed his clunky armor and curled up by the fire, appealing to his cat half. Euwin used the purple cloak which he pulled from his saddlebag and placed it over himself like a blanket, and Lightning Dust placed her bedroll next to my empty one.

Turning my head to face the massive gorge, I gazed upon my arms. My white tunic ended just where my gauntlets began, the (leather?) straps buckled around my forearms. I believed I was well toned considering my profession and the length of practice I had in it, and a deep farmer's tan could be seen, despite the darkness, despite me not being a farmer. I reached into my pack, producing two sets of eyes, still glowing brightly. Thinking back to the meeting with Zecora, I focused heavily on the book the she had enchanted my gems with.

"Latin."

"That's it!" I 'ureka'ed quietly.

Going back to my years in highschool, learning a dead language had finally come to use. I put down three of the gems, and focused on one in my hand.

"Canto ad ignis," I quietly commanded. The gem began to glow red. I gasped for air, having blown my own mind. "Ho-holy shit yes!"
The emerald shined bright with an internal light like fire. Conveniently enough, a strong gust had put out the campfire. I saw the opportunity to test my enchantment.

I rested the gem atop my gauntlet and pointed at the pile; "Ignis, surgit."

Not only did it create fire, it created a fucking pillar of roaring flame for a few brief moments. It blasted a gaping hole in the foliage above, thank the gods it was damp as the wind was quick to cool it.

"Fucking. Awesome." I stated, having stood up to admire my work.

But a sudden wave of fatigue knocked me on my ass and into a deep sleep.

---

Once again, I found myself in the beautiful lucid dreamscape I had the night before. So, being a lover of music (as it was my favorite way to express bottled up emotions) I summoned the guitar I had back home, and I began to play.

"And after the storm,

I run and run as the rains come

And I look up, I look up,

On my knees and out of luck,

I look up."

A non existent band also started playing along.

"Night has always pushed up day

You must know life to see decay

But I won't rot, I won't rot

Not this mind and not this heart,

I won't rot.

"And I took you by the hand

And we stood tall,

And remembered our own land,

What we lived for.

And there will come a time,

You'll see, with no more tears.

"And love will not break your heart,

but dismiss your fears.

Get over your hill and see

What you find there,

With grace in your heart and

Flowers in your hair."

Hot tears in my eyes, I continued my song.

"And now I cling to what I knew

I saw exactly what was true

But oh no more.

That's why I hold,

That's why I hold with all I have.

That's why I hold."

Angry at nothing in particular, my voice became louder and more intense.

"I will die alone and be left there.

Well I guess I'll just go home,

Oh, God knows where.

Because death is just so full

And man so small.

Well I'm scared of what's

Behind and what's before.

"And there will come a time,

You'll see, with no more tears.

And love will not break your heart,

But dismiss your fears.

Get over your hill and see

What you find there,

With grace in your heart and

Flowers in your hair.

"And there will come a time,

You'll see, with no more tears.

And love will not break your heart,

But dismiss your fears.

Get over your hill and see

What you find there,

With grace in your heart

And flowers in your hair."

"A truly wonderful performance," came a feminine yet regal voice from over my shoulder.

Author's Note:

Also, big thanks to my editor/co-writer/friend DE_K. He and I are planning something...
So be prepared.