• Published 23rd Mar 2014
  • 949 Views, 25 Comments

A True Hero - Space Wizard Novablast



Spike has always wondered what being a hero truly meant, perhaps now he will finally know.

  • ...
1
 25
 949

Chapter two: Welcome to the show

Spike could see it, the booth was ready, the sun was about to set. It was about to happen, the show would start and afterwards he'd get his present. The most amazingly awesome thing that the shopkeeper owned was about to be his!

If Twilight would go ahead and hurry up.

"Come ooon Twilight, can't we just go? It's a show down at the square, not the Grand Galloping Gala!" Spike groaned. He knew that Twilight had a certain peeve with everything being orderly and neat, but she'd spent an entire hour getting ready, and by Spikes standards that was at least 57 minutes more than what was required.

"It's not me who wants to go and see this show, you could just go there yourself you know." Twilight answered back rather snakily. She was busy making sure she'd brought everything along, or rather checking if she did for the fourth time.

"I can't go by myself, you have to see this place. It's amazing!" Spike said, throwing his arms into the air and letting himself fall into their couch, where he then took a peculiar liking to staring at the ceiling. "It's...... Almost unbelievable."

"I got that the third time you told me." Twilight said, sighing. She took a few quick steps and stood in front of the sofa. "Now, you gonna come along or what?"

"With pleasure!" Spike answered, doing a impromptu jump into Twilights back. The two set off from the library towards the square, and were immediately met with the sight of an entire wall of ponies. Presumably those that had come to see the show.

And of course among those, were the rest of Twilights friends."

"Hey guys!" Spike shouted, catching the attention of the five of them, alongside some bystanders who waved but then just turned around. Those who the greeting had been aimed towards however quickly walked towards them, each of them wearing smiles as large as their faces would allow.

"Hey Twilight! Hi spike!" They said in almost perfect tandem.

"You guys here to watch the show too?" Spike asked. To which Applejack nodded. "Yeah, or rather i was nagged down here." She said as Applebloom walked casually out from behind the mares, alongside Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.

"We would've never heard the end of it if we'd stayed at home." Rainbow sighed. To which all three of the fillies grinned. Somehow these three devils in ponies clothing had an amazing talent for getting whatever they wanted, no matter what means had to be taken in hoof.

But then they were all interrupted by a sudden burst of light.

"Mares and Gentlecolts. If you would please direct your gaze to the stage?" A smooth and suave voice proclaimed, and It had everyone's attention. "I have something extraordinary to show you!"

On the stage was now an enormous cloud of smoke, and out of it walked a large brown stallion clad in green garments. He was taller than anyone present, partially by being on a stage as supposed to on the ground, but even then he seemed to tower over anypony present.

"Often i am asked, what does a hero truly need?" He asked the crowd. "Much depends on the hero." He turned around to a large chest, from which he pulled forth what looked to be a gem carved into a very strange shape. "Would you be swift?" He hung the strange necklace from his neck, and was soon out of sight, moving so quickly that even Rainbow had trouble keeping up. "Then for you i have speed beyond measure."

He zoomed back to the chest, where he carefully placed the gem back into its safe bounds. But from the same chest he pulled a rather large axe that looked like it was made out of red stone. Aswell as a rather large rock.

"Would you be strong?" He asked the crowd, carefully placing the rock on the stage. He lifted the axe high above his head. "Then i can grant you the might, to overpower any foe!" He said as he brough the axe down, completely obliterating the rock and sending small pebbles flying everywhere.

He opened the chest once more, and from it he pulled a large branch with a flaming red tip. "Would you be wise?" He asked. He pointed the branch directly into the crowd and it shot a bright red beam into an already prepared bonfire, which caused it to light up in a matter of seconds. "Then come closer and i will unlock your inner cunning!"

He jumped off the stage, and walked towards the bonfire. As he got there he threw some strange looking powder into the fire, causing wild images to appear. Of strange creatures doing battle in the air, on the ground, and below the water.

"What does a hero, truly need?" He yelled.

The flames completely died out, safe for the rod which he had held onto. This was the only source of light, and it served to illuminate half of his face.

"That, is for you to decide."

The crowd was silent for a moment, but then the clapping began. Enthusiastic hooves expressing their approval of the show they had just witnessed. And what a show indeed, this was unlike anything Ponyville had ever seen before, and most likely would see ever again.

"Mares and Gentlecolts," The stallion said. "The Secret Shop is now open for business! You can inquire my assistant for more information at the stall, but remain calm and collected." After this had been said he turned around and walked off the stage, out of everyone's sight. And soon after the entire crowd started stampeding toward the booth, leaving the ten remaining ponies standing with their mouths agape.

The silence hung low for a long while before finally someone decided to speak up. "Did y'all see that?" Appleblooms squeed excitedly. "That guy was all over the place."

"He was so strong." Sweetie belle said in awe.

"And he shot fire! And he doesn't even have horn!" Scootaloo said, shrugging and trying her best not to seem excited or impressed.

"Have you ever heard of any pony besides unicorns using magic Twilight?" Rarity asked her friend. If there was anyone who'd have an answer it was of course her.

"It's not exactly unheard of, but lighting things on fire is pretty advanced. That there wand had to've been made by some pretty skilled unicorns." She said. The others didn't do anything else but nod, when it came to magic nobody dared question what Twilight said, lest they'd get educated on the history and working of magic for hours on end.

"Why don't we have a look at what this guy is selling?" Pinkie suggested, just as hasty to get there as spike was, if not more.

"I like the sound of that." Spike said with a huge grin. He jumped off Twilight's back and ran towards the cart as quick as his legs could carry him, which wasn't that fast in comparison with the rest.

Spike eventually reached the cart, or rather the crowd of ponies blocking him from reaching it. He started pushing his way through, slipping in where others couldn't thanks to his tiny size. He heard ponies complain, groan and curse. But he had a single goal, to get to that damn wagon and find the shopkeeper.

But all he found once he'd finally pushed through the crowd was a small bird sitting on a pole.

It was a very strange looking bird granted. It looked to have scales running down it's back, and it's beak was enormous. It's eyes were bloodshot and sticking out of its head to the point that they looked like they were about to roll out.

But it wasn't the shopkeeper, that was for sure. Unless he had accidentally transformed himself.

Spike thought about it, the stallion had said that they'd be speaking with his assistant if they were to go here. He pushed his way back through the crowd of ponies, completely forgetting everything about his friends, and if they'd even caught up with him.

He found the door that lead into the cart itself. He pushed it open slowly, and if it had been made his much noise when he first got in here he certainly didn't remember it. The door made a loud wheen noise as he pushed it, and immediately caught the attention of the shopkeeper.

"Hey there little one, what can I do for you?" The shopkeeper asked. He was busily sorting different canisters and flasks on a shelf. "I'm a little busy right now."

"I- uh, I was just here to get that present you promised me." Spike muttered. He was looking around the room, searching for what his present was, as if he could find out by heart. He saw the same things as he had the first time, and some new things as well.

"Well, can you give me a minute little one? I am a little busy right now." The shopkeeper said, grabbing a hold of several gemstones and weapons before walking out the door to the booth. "Just don't touch anything."

Spike nodded before looking around again. He saw thousands of trinkets that looked far too alien to be Equestrian. There was a staff with a blue orb at the tip, a small dagger, and a rather large axe. In the corner was a glowing green sword with a black handle. He touched it quickly, and he felt I thrum in its hand. He felt the urge to take the sword and bring it home. His hand brushed the blade, and he was repulsed by the very idea of even holing the weapon. He quickly let go and backed away from the sword as quickly as he could.

He was then tapped on the shoulder, and a familiar pair or voices said. "Hey there Spike."

Spike jumped forward again, knocking over the sword. It somehow got stuck in the floor, and spike felt absolutely no desire to try and pick it up. He turned around to face the three fillies that had apparently followed him here. "What're you three doing in here?"

"We should ask you the same question." Applebloom said accusingly. "This is a private area spike, you're gonna get in trouble!"

"Well as it happens I was invited here by the shopkeeper himself." Spike said, blowing on his nails in a sort of gaudy and arrogant gesture. " he's gonna give me a present for helping him earlier."

"Is it this thing?" Scootaloo asked, looking at what was a very beautiful sword. It looked very intricate, and was early made of platinum and gold. She moved closer to it and stared at it in awe.

"I don't know, he said it was the most rare and unique item in his entire shop." Spike said. Scootaloo didn't really listen however. She was busy inching closer to the sword. She moved her hoof ever closer. Waning to touch the hard and cold surface of the weapon.

"DONT TOUCH THAT!"

Scootaloo stumbled back as the shout rang through the cart. The shopkeeper was standing in the other end of the cart, carrying two very large bag of bits. He was staring at Scootaloo with a horrified expression on his face. He dropped both of the bags and ran towards her, grabbing her hoof and pushing her back lightly.

"Don't ever. Touch. That. Weapon!" He said, clenching his teeth and speaking through them.

"Relax dude, it wasn't as if I was going to steal it." Scootaloo said, walking away from the shopkeeper. She was startled, something she wasn't exactly used to.

"If you'd touched this blade you wouldn't have had a choice. It would be bound to you, and there'd only be one way to solve it." The shopkeeper said, as soon as he finished he drew his hoof across his neck. Scootaloo swallowed a lump that had gathered in her throat. She now looked at the weapon with fear and caution.

"Now, all three of you, get out of my cart before I throw you out myself." The shopkeeper said grumpily, "And you little one, follow me, I promised you a gift."

Spike looked at the three fillies with a smug smile. They recounted by blowing raspberries before they exited the cart. Spike turned around from the door and followed the shopkeeper. The stallion opened a small door which lead into a tiny cabinet.

With a small pedestal, and a scroll lying on said pedestal.

"Take it." The shopkeeper said, giving the dragon a small shove in the direction of the pedestal. Spike carefully picked up the scroll and unwrapped the blue ribbon that kept it closed. He rolled it out, and in stead of finding text there was merely a large circle drawn in black ink with various alien runes on the edges of it.

"Place your hand in the center." The shopkeeper said.

Spike did as ordered and carefully placed his palm in the middle of the circle. He felt how his hand was stuck to the paper, and now matter hi much he pulled he couldn't get free.

"Relax, and do as I say." The shopkeeper said. "What is your greatest wish?"

Spike breathed in and calmed down. He relaxed and thought deeply, "I...... I want to be a hero, adored by all and renowned throughout the lands."

"Repeat after me Bring me Home!" The shopkeeper said.

Spike breathed slowly and repeated the words. "Bring me home!"

As soon as those last words left spikes mouth he felt something stir inside him. He felt his entire body tingling. And soon a bright blue circle started glowing at his feet. It spread upward until it had enveloped his entire body, and a second or so thereafter spike the dragon had disappeared.

In his place was the scroll, now the blue circle in the middle no longer being empty. In stead there was a picture of spikes face, with a smaller empty circle below it.

The shopkeeper bowed down and picked up the small scroll. He rolled it out and stuck It to the wall of the cart, where a bunch of similar scrolls where hanging, although with different pictures.

"Yet another one joins the ranks." The shopkeeper sighed. "Hopefully this one survives."