• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 4,540 Views, 67 Comments

Taking a chance on love - Starlitomega



Twilight's feelings toward Pinkie go beyond friendship, but can Pinkie face her ultimate fear?

  • ...
6
 67
 4,540

No regrets.

Music echoed through Sugarcube Corner adding to the upbeat party atmosphere of the sweetshop while ponies danced and played various party games tirelessly. Twilight sat at a table catching her breath from the festive activities, across from her sat a pink pony with an indomitable smile.

“Wow Pinkie, this might be the best party you’ve thrown so far. I don’t think the Cake’s are going to appreciate the mess though.”

The party pony simply giggled, “It doesn't matter how messy the shop gets, it’s totally worth it for Fluttershy’s birthday. Besides, we always open a little later the next day after parties. I mean who wants to clean up the party right afterwards? Nopony, that’s who!”

“Wait, you open later after parties?” Twilight cocked her head sideways, “I wonder why I never noticed…”

“Of course you never notice silly! You’re always at my parties and it’s SO hard to get you up the next day! Sometimes I try to wake you up, but it’s way too funny watching you sleep, you drool all over the place you know!” Pinkie laughed with a snort. Twilight blushed deeply, she remembered the princess telling her the same thing on several different occasions.

“Well, YOU snore like a chainsaw. I’m surprised the Cakes can even keep their foals asleep with the racket you make!” The unicorn fired back with a smile.

“What can I say? I party hard, and I sleep hard!” The pink pony said returning the smile.

“Pinkie! We need a new set of apples for dunking!” Yelled a green unicorn from across the room.

The party pony hopped up from her seat, “Comiiiiing! Just give me two shakes of a Pinkie’s tail! Be right back, Twilight.”

The unicorn watched her pink friend disappear into the kitchen.

“Hey egghead, what’s going on?”

Looking back at the table she saw Rainbow scooping up another cup of punch. “Pinkie tells me you two are going on a date soon.”

Twilight smiled, “Yeah, tomorrow night in fact. We’re going to watch a comet that ‘s coming close to the atmosphere, it may even skip off if it gets too close!”

“That sounds…. Ummm kinda boring actually. Pinkie’s OK with that?”

Twilight rolled her eyes, “Of course she is, she says she wants to start studying with me, I never would’ve guessed it, but she is actually much smarter than I gave her credit for and she asks so many question, maybe a few too many now that i think about it.....”

Rainbow rolled her eyes as well, “Tell me about it, sometimes it’s hard to keep her quiet long enough to hear yourself think.” Rainbow laughed nervously. “So uhhh did she tell you about ummm well…”

Twilight’s smile faded, ”Yeah, she told me. I don’t know a lot about it, and I don’t know if I should even talk about it.”

The Pegasus slumped into the chair across from Twilight, “No, no. It’s OK, I was the jerk there.”

Both ponies sat in uncomfortable silence for a few moments, “Why? She told me you two were such good friends, what happened?” Twilight stared as Rainbow swirled her drink.

“I don’t know. I guess I was afraid of…. I don’t know. I just couldn’t see my dream of being a Wonderbolt coming true with her.”

“But Rainbow, You never tried. I mean who's to say you both couldn’t just travel together?”

The multicolored mare filled her glass again, “I know, I know. Look, I wasn’t a very good friend, I don’t like to admit it, but it’s true. Maybe i should've given her more of a chance before we split.”

“So you both cut ties and abandoned your friendship too, just like that?” Twilight asked sadly.

Rainbow shook her hooves, “No, no, no. I cut ties. Pinkie never gave up.” The Pegasus pulled out a piece of paper, slightly worn but still legible and placed it on the table. Using her magic, Twilight opened it and poured over the words.

“This is an invitation….”

“Yeah…. Even after I told her off she invited me to all of her parties. I just threw away the invitations and never went.”

The unicorn shook her head, “Why keep this one then… Ohhhhh, This is when I first came to Ponyville.”

Rainbow scratched the back of her head with her hoof nervously, ”Yeah, hey look. I’m not good at this mushy stuff so just uhhhh… Take care of her ok? At least do a better job than me.”

Twilight nodded solemnly sliding the invitation back to her friend, “I will. Just a quick question if you don’t mind, do you regret your time with her?”

“If anything I regret giving up. We had a lot of fun together ya know?”

“Hey there you two!” Pinkie bounded over to the table, her usual energetic self “Who wants to play some limbo?”

Rainbow and Twilight fired glances at each other, competitive smiles crossing their faces.

“You’re going down egghead!”

“Not if I have anything to say about it, Rainbow Crash!”




~


Twilight sat quietly in the dark, the moonlit sky beamed down softly upon her and her pink friend. Food wrappers and juice boxes glowed with magical auras as the unicorn cleaned up the mess they left on the ground. Being careful not to rustle the plastic too much she pushed all the trash into one of her saddlebags to throw away later. With their stargazing spot cleaned up she turned her attention to the telescope, folding up the tripod she tucked it away along with her notebook which she used to document the comet’s trajectory.

Casting her glance to the pony beside her she saw Pinkie gently scratch the back of her head with her rear hoof much like a dog causing Twilight to giggle softly,

“Such a weirdo.”

With a quick glance at the moon’s position she calculated the time to be just a little after midnight. Using her magic she reached into her other saddlebag pulling out a blanket, a quill and a sheet of parchment. She slowly scooted close to Pinkie and pulled the blanket over them both. Feeling her friend’s pleasant body heat radiating next to hear in the cool night air, she pulled the quill and parchment closer and lit up the ground in front of her with her horn.

“Dear Princess Celestia,

Much like friendship, love is not easy. No matter how hard you try to plan for every possible problem, obstacles can pop out of nowhere, sometimes even from the very target of our affection. When Pinkie pushed me away I never imagined the depth or extent to which she had been hurt in the past and when I finally saw it firsthoof. I myself began to question if I could take that chance too. However, if there is one thing I learned through this entire ordeal though, it’s that you should always live your life without regrets because you never know what you might miss out on.

Your Faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle.”

The unicorn rolled the scroll up and placed it into her saddlebags for sending in the morning. Twilight’s eyes widened as a loud steady nose resounded through the night air. Looking down at the source of the disturbance she saw the pink pony now on her back, mouth wide open snoring away loudly. Smiling broadly at her friend she carefully put a quick kiss on the mare’s forehead before resting her head on her hooves. Twilight slowly closed her eyes pleased that the last thing she would see for the night would be a wide smile on her very special somepony’s face.